Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Something to Talk About Mastella podcast. I'm Sarah Lamarquin, your host, and this year I have had the privilege of sitting down with some of the biggest names in the country. Because when Estralia's celebrities are ready to talk, they come to Something to Talk About. We're continuing to publish across the summer break and we'll be back with a brand new episode on January twelfth. In the meantime, each day for the next two weeks, we'll be revisiting some of your favorite episodes from the past year, and I'm happy to report that there have been a lot of popular episodes, but out of the fifty we released in twenty twenty four, we've narrowed it down to ten conversations to revisit over the summer break, and today you'll hear from David Campbell on the decision that changed everything for him. David, who is of course the son of Ozzie Rock legend Jimmy Barnes, join me in the Something to Talk About studio to mark a milestone ten years since he decided.
Speaker 2: To stop drinking.
Speaker 1: At a time of year when many Australians are reconsidering their relationship with alcohol and reflecting on their resolutions for the coming year, we decided it was a perfect time to revisit David's Canada about breaking the cycle of alcohol addiction in his family and how his sobriety has impacted his marriage. David Campbell, you and I have a lot to talk about, but I want to start by going back a long time ago, in a galaxy far away, as Star Wars fans might say, you and I sat alongside one another on a panel on the Today Show. Kyle Stefanovic was hosting your co host today of Today Extra, Sylvia Jeffries was a fellow panelist, and little old me was sitting on the other side of you, And there was a discussion where you revealed that you had given up alcohol.
Speaker 2: A year earlier.
Speaker 1: I would want to unpack that moment with you in a moment, but before we talk about that day in April twenty fifteen, I'd actually like to go back twelve months earlier, to April twenty fourteen, because we're about to hit the ten year milestone where you decided to.
Speaker 2: Give up alcohol. Yeah, what brought it on?
Speaker 1: And when you made that choice, did you think it was going to be permanent ten years on or was it more of a short term let's just see what I do here.
Speaker 3: No, when it happened, it felt definitive. If going back to that time, I was, you know, we'd had Leo at Leasta night had Leo, and we were very much conscious and aware. I know those sound very wanky terms, but we were of like, how are we going to raise our child? How are we going to do this? You know, we both had you know, had our own issues and traumas in our childhoods, but really wanted to be the best parents we could be. And you know, as to type a type people raising a child, you know, we're really trying our best. And I'd been touring a lot, and I'd always had, like with my relationship with alcohol from my teens onwards was either problematic like binge or abstaining completely. And so I would go through like years and years and years of never drinking, and then I would drink a lot, and then years and years years not drinking again. So it was really coming and going. And then at least when I got together, we had a great time. We're having a wonderful you know start to our marriage. We would drink a bit. We would celebrate, and at the same time, I was having great success with an album. So you would have midweek and they'd be just champagne delivered to you. We'd be like, let it be rude not to have champagne and so, and then you'd go out in the road and you would drink with your band, and then you would drink after the show, because you're putting on late these parties in every city you go to. And it mounted up and mounted up, and I was putting on an awful amount of weight. And I was because you eat recovery food and you sleep longer and all the sort of stuff that you know you shouldn't be doing, but you know you're young, you don't have kids. So when Leo came along, we're having kids. We were trying to clean up our lives and be healthier and work out and do that sort of stuff. And I was still touring, and I was doing morning TV with Sonia, and I'd just got that gig, and I was really mindful of like I was getting better at it. I was very sweaty to start with, as you remember, but I was getting I think better at it. It takes a long time, and I was still working and going on the road too, and I had this feeling when I was on the road of being bored with drinking. So my band would drink and I would sit there and be like, I remember, like going, okay, let's have a drink. And it was this weight was starting to hit me with it, this sort of feeling of like I have to do this, this is what I should be doing, should be celebrating with my band as opposed to do I want to as before I know, my band and I partied and had great times and got drunk and had played poker all night. That was fun, but all of a sudden it wasn't becoming fun anymore, and it was playing on my mind. And I was listening to a lot of podcasts at the time, and I was in therapy and saying to my therapist, keeps coming up that I'm listening to people who are sober and talking about their sobriety, and she's like, well, we do you want to explore that? I'm like, I don't know, I don't know if I want to explore that, and then the story comes with a lot of name dropping. So forgive me, but Dan Akroid was in town and Lisa and I are deep nerds, and he came on the show to promote Crystal Head vodka. Now this isn't dan Acroid's fault. I need to preface this. It's a great product. I'm not here to endorse it. But if you do drink, it's lovely. But it's crystal Head and it's a vodka, and it's like and it's alien head looking jar And he came on and we did some Blues Brothers songs on TV and he invited me to his night with his fabulous wife, Donna, who was inspired like us. So I was really moving irtie out and he'd signed some bottles for us, and Lisa and I had a great time, and we'd had some VOD people with him, and blah blah blah. Got to the end of that weekend, I was coming up to my holidays. It was our first big family holiday. We were going to Broom and Lisa and I were like, should we on Friday night watch Ghostbusters have some Crystal Head vodka. That seems like the tribute to Dan Akroyd for the week Absolutely. Now, mind you, by this stage, I did not have much to drink I don't know what happened, or maybe I lost count, but I wasn't blackout, drunk or anything like that. We went to bed relatively early, felt good. I woke up the next morning, as I said, nothing to do with the product, but my body was rejecting it. And even for someone who drank as much as me, I was going, Lisa's going, what's going on? I'm like, I don't know. I can't stop being sick. Excuse me your listeners for being that graphic. And so can we delay the We can't delay the flight because it's broom. What are we going to grow? And I'm you know, you get the sweats and you think I can't. I don't know if I'm getting about to get on the plane. This is I'm ruining the entire holiday here. And then I heard Leo, who would have been three, not even three at the time, say our dad's not well and I'm hugging the porcelain, and you know you're thinking, and you had no, no, no, no, I don't want to be sick. And I heard that and I'm like, no, no, this can't happen. He can't see this, he can't register this as a core memory.
Speaker 4: I grew up around a lot of alcoholics. I grew up seeing alcohol abused. I grew up around like my dad. You know, you grew up in working class people who don't have a lot of money.
Speaker 3: You see domestic violence, you see the problems it causes. I knew that people had problems when I was growing up. I knew what Leo knew, and it was just shrugged off as that's just what you do. Well, this is how we are. Or somebody then the problem gets too much and they're sent away, and then they come back and oh, she's a drinker. I just the horror went through me as well as everything else. My body was expelling. I got on the plane, I slept a lot on the way to broom. My body recovered and we got there. It was piping hot. We sat down at lunch this beautiful, you know, Cable Beach Resort, which is lovely, the most idyllic place, and Leah was having nuggets and chips and Lisa and I sat down and we were just got mineral water and stuff like that, and she goes, you okay. I said, yeah, I'm out, and she goes, what do you mean. I said, I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm done, and she's like, oh, okay, and I said, you do you. I am not going to judge you, but and I told her what we've just discussed and she's like okay, and she goes, well, I don't know if I'm ready yet, and I'm like, you don't have to be ready, but just to let you know. That was the moment for me. And a month later she's just like, this is boring. And she'd had her own thoughts about alcohol as well, which I won't speak to because they're hers, and she's like, I'm out. So we had clarity together. And to answer your question, I actually didn't know if it was going to be permanent. Why in my heart I did. I just didn't know. I knew it was over. And one thing that I got from my grandmother and from my dad, I think they're very willful people, and I think I can be very more so. Back then, I was very definitive and like, that's it, it's over. And I've sort of been lucky enough that I wasn't deeply addicted, though I did. As I think I say in the column, I have stared into the darkness of that room of my own addiction and looked very much at it, but I never felt like, oh God, I could do with a drink. Once it was over, it was like, oh, what a relief. It's over. I don't have to think about it again. I don't have to worry, and I don't have to worry about what Leo may think of me. And so that was the greatest thing. And it's been a blessing. It's such a blessing. It's the best. I feel like a convert. I'm more chill about being a convert now than I was on the Today Show a year later.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you were pretty chill.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I was. I felt like it blurted out of me.
Speaker 1: I rewatched it again last night ahead of our conversation today, and in fact, we'll put a link in the show notes to the amazing piece that you wrote and that contains the video in it, so if you do want to have a look at it. I went back and watched it again last night, like I say, And so just to go back exactly to where we started with that moment. April twenty fifteen, you are co hosting your own morning show. You would come on as a guest panelist on the Today Show as I mentioned, and Karl Stefanovic is the host, Sylvia Jeffries and I the fellow panelists. There was a story in the news that involved one of the many moments in our culture in Australia here about glorification of booze culture. And Karl initiated the conversation, and I suppose the inference was can we just laugh this off as a country we were all getting a bit serious, or is this a more concerning conversation around booze culture in Australia And you said, I hate this And there was a cold fury, which I know sounds the opposite of chill, although there's still a coolness.
Speaker 2: See what I did there, But it was on the rocks. You did not lecture.
Speaker 1: You repeatedly said in the course of that conversation that you were exactly what you were just saying earlier what you said to Lisa on the morning that you made that decision, and she wasn't quite You said, this is my decision. I'm not transferring this judgment. I don't expect anyone else. I've just made this decision for me. What you were calling out at that moment though, was the just on the present alcohol saturated world in which we live. You know, as you said, Dan Akroyd is one of millions of people that is perpetuating this. Tell me about that moment because to this day, I don't know whether you knew you were going to go public on National TV with the revelation that you've given up alcohol.
Speaker 3: No, because we were sitting there before the segment, and it was something about it, and it was Shane Warn interviewing people, the late great Shane Warn, who I knew, and I didn't know him very well, but I knew awesome guy. So it was nothing to do with Shane or his legacy or anything, but it was about the culture of are we getting on? How good is this, how we're going to celebrate, And because of the way it was clipped together, which wasn't Shane's fault, it made it look like that was the only thing he was talking about. And so for that it just I don't know where it came from. Sarah. I would never I wasn't going to ever just sort of get on and not let your people, but also admit what I was going through and what I decided. It didn't feel significant, and I didn't want to be the story, and it just it came out of me, out of and I was like, oh, here we go, it's coming out of me. I'm going to have to say something. And there it was, and it was there and out and definitive. And I was so scared of the reaction after that because of you know, there's so many points in my life and my father is one of them. You know, his addictions and alcohol had been well documented. But I had the Last Stand poster on my bedroom wall as a kid, with him holding up at and a bottle of vodka and knowing that that was the epitome of strength, and here is the man that I look up to doing this. And I wouldn't be the only one had that poster, and I wouldn't be the only one seeing my sports stars get drunk and or a movie star or someone who's influencing in their life have that. And here I was like bucking against that, and I'm like, oh my god, this is just the bits. What am I doing? Why am I saying these things? Or do I look like a hypocrite? But I couldn't stop. And then I wrote the column, and what was astounding about that admission for me was I put it up on Facebook and it was probably one of the biggest reactions I've ever had in my life. There was very few people called me a flog. There were some it's the Internet, but it was so many men who reached out to me saying, how did you do it? How can I do it? Or I'm six days sober, or I'm thirty years sober, and women too, saying it was the best decision I ever made. I had so many people saying I don't know how to stop. What's your advice? And I would try and write back to people. I felt responsible and I wanted to help. I wanted to be They're all of their sponsors in that moment, but at least it started a conversation amongst a small group the people that might have been influenced. And it's a conversation now that I see. I certainly didn't start it, but you see it generationally generationally start to ease off. You're seeing people including I was so interesting last year seeing David boonebin An interviewed, did you see that? No? Somebody on a sports channel was interviewing him about you drank thirty two beers on that plane ride blah blah blah, and he said, and it was extraordiny. He said, I feel so much shame. It gets brought up all the time. I think about, this is what my kids hear about me. This is my legacy. And you could see it like wow. I mean even I grew up with that, like the heroic tale of the Odyssea, like tale of drinking that he had on that plane, and even he's like, no, that's not my legacy. I can't have that for my kids. It was the same thing that I felt, and I was like, oh, yeah, I still relate to that. I still feel that so passionately. And I think a lot of other people are struggling with that now and coming to terms with that. But then I look at younger generations of people who actually, boost is not much of a thing for guys anymore.
Speaker 1: You use the word shame in the piece that you wrote, so when you talk about that with David Boone, it was a word that you used yourself right about especially being a father, as you say, you're a father of three, but your twins were yet to be born, your son Leo, that you really felt that the piece that you wrote it did go viral, So yeah, I can only imagine the avalanche of correspondence that you received for people that haven't read it. Like I said, well, we'll put a link into show notes. But it was David Campbell. My family's alcoholism stops with me. So it had many threads to it, including that intergenerational conversation that you've talked about. You've referenced your dad of course, Jimmy Barnes, and that famous Cold Chisel iconography. I also remember that, you know, my older brothers used to watch that concert all the time.
Speaker 2: It's there on stage. Absolutely great concert.
Speaker 1: But I wanted to ask you a little bit about the reaction, and there was an avalanche of support from where I was looking. But I know, even on the panel that day, there's also that defensiveness because people feel and I'm sure some people.
Speaker 2: Listening feel the same. So I wanted us to both address this that this is not.
Speaker 1: About critiquing anyone else's choices or lecturing or any of that. I, as I said, sat next to you on panel, Now, I don't try to make this podcast about me. The reason I keep talking about that is because I was there with you at that moment, and I'm glad that I was, because I considered myself very privileged to then say to you, look, I think this would be amazing if you want to write about it, And I'm so grateful that you did. I think you know, you always look back at a few different pieces if you're lucky enough. And this was pre Stella. Your twins weren't born, Stella wasn't born. I mean a lots happened in the nine years with Peace exactly, I mean totally the same, yeah, Billy and Betty Stella.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, listen, I see the work you do with Stella. I know how big it is.
Speaker 2: It's all, isn't it exactly?
Speaker 1: But the way that the conversation has progressed is astounding. Now, I sat there that day and I was not necessarily defensive because you and I agreed, and in fact, you say, oh, Carl's going to be really shocked, Sarah that you agree with me.
Speaker 2: But I also said, but I don't live that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm in the culture saying, oh my god, I'm so stressed. I just can't wait to get home and have a glass of wine. You're talking about the champagne being delivered or something good's happened. Let's crack open the champagne. Rewatching that video again last night, you said to me, no, no, no, like, that's that's not what this is about.
Speaker 2: I'm not here to judge that.
Speaker 1: The reason I'm mentioning that is because something there got planted in my mind that day and the way that you were listening to podcasts and hearing that voice discussing it with your therapist. I clearly had a voice in my head for a few years going, you know what, I think it'd be better if alcohol wasn't a variable in my life. And so four years ago I climbed aboard what we call the sober curious movement. I'm like you. I thought, Oh, it might just be a week a month. See how I go four years later? Pretty sure I'll never have a drink again in my life. Wow, that's really why I congratulations, thank you, and I've you know, referenced you a couple of times where I have spoken about it. Came on one of our sister podcasts, Healthish with Felicity Harley a couple of years ago. You were one of the people that I called out just because, like I said, that's what this conversation is about. If there is nothing here for you, I mean, please listen, because David Campbell is freaking amazing.
Speaker 2: Okay, but that's okay.
Speaker 1: But it's so valuable if it is something there for you, because as we know, you can't be what you can't see. And all of those things tell me a little bit dc about the defensiveness, because sometimes if I'm out for dinner, I can see people tense up a little bit, as though I'm going to frown with disapproval if they have a couple of wines. I like, you could not stress enough. No judgment, Honestly, this is just a decision for me. Do you still encounter a little bit of that defensiveness?
Speaker 3: Not as much as I used to when I first I like to always say, I mean, this is a very busy thing to say. The first logos is the hardest, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Or saying about the the.
Speaker 3: First Christmas party might be the hardest. Whatever it is in your world is always going to be the hardest first, because people go, you're not going to have a champagne. How do you celebrate? If you want to toast something at a wedding? How are you going to toast them. I might with my water. What are you talking about? This is not even real. This is just a good luck. You can say good luck. But people do project, and I that's so. I'm really I think it's beautiful that people project. I think the people that means that it's it's not defensiveness. People are curious, they're empathetic. They can feel something and it makes them go oh, I don't want to I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable. Or if people are curious, they want to ask questions. I actually think it's a beautiful thing that people project and are curious and want to ask questions. I mean, I certainly don't stand here as the spokesperson of sobriety with my history, but I think it's great that people ask those questions and discuss these things and want to get into the nitty gritty about it. Because the more you do talk about this stuff, because I learned that, you know, there's friends of mine who are Italian or Greeks, that a wine at dinner since there were teenagers is not a big deal. You look at blue zones. I'm really into blue zones. Right now, A lot of people live to one hundred the Blue zones, they have a glass of wine every day. So it's even my like nature of wanting to be healthy for as long as I can. Well, that's not going to be me, so maybe I'll have a shorter life. Who knows, But I think it's you know, people are so curious and so wonderful about asking questions, and if they I don't think it's uncomfortable if they if they feel uncomfortable, I try to make people please, don't be uncomfortable. Ask me whatever you want. But I also say I drank all the booze. Guys, I know what's going to go with your you know that's going to taste better with this wine. You know, I really really deep dived and I really enjoyed myself, and then it stopped and then it was over. And now it's a relief for me. But what's interesting that I still have people go I've not been drinking for like eight weeks. I'm really enjoying myself. I'm like, great, if you want to talk further on that, I'm right here, or take my phone number or whatever. And if not, how good to have a break. It's good for the body, get fit, get over it, drop it away for the summer, whatever, and then get on the margaarita's have fun. I can't do that. And it's actually, let me rephrase that, I think after ten years, it's not that I don't think I can't do that. I actually think I do have good willpower. I think if I decide, like, oh, I'm going to go and have a few drinks again, or I'd like to go to a winery and go to a cellar door, I actually just don't want to do that anymore. And I am scared of what it could lead to. I do believe I have good willpower, but I don't want to push myself in those ways. That's not where I want to go. I stand by what I did, and I stand by my kids doing it. And my kids talk about drinking all the time, and what's champagne like. I'm like, it's bubbly. Have it when you're old enough, you know. And that's the same with I hate to bring it up because it makes me look, as we've said before, very punishable. But you know, because when I went plant based two, my kids eat meet, you know, and they're probably going to drink and they'll talk to me about it, and hopefully we can have a nice open talk and discussion about the history in our family and why I chose that, and hopefully that's going to be good for you guys, and that you can move forward with thatever choices you make safely and you know, with an open mind.
Speaker 2: Let's talk a.
Speaker 1: Bit about your family. Then you mentioned your beautiful wife, Lisa. You've been married fifteen years now. I was going to ask you about well, not as you say, that's her story to tell, but just in terms of how long she had also decided to trial not drinking. I didn't realize that it was so early you were saying, really a month after you so, I mean, if you're comfortable answering this, is she still not drinking?
Speaker 3: Yes, yourself, And it's the best decision we've both made for our relationship. It's given us clarity. It's given us like there was a lot. I mean when you are, as I said, we're too type a personality. So when we did like celebrate and drink where first of the party, last to leave, even that doesn't make us blind drunk. We just love to be around people and we love to live life fully. But that does have a negative side. Effect where you are too tied the next day. And that's where in the first few years of our relationship, and I said, I spoke to my therapist that was a former couples therapist that we went to in our first year because Lisa had come out from England after three weeks of knowing me, we'd fallen madly in love and we were then going out on tour with a band and getting to know each other again. It was a lot of pressure, and we went to couple's therapy to go, how can we do this better? How can we learn to not fight and or fight better and know how to we can listen to each other. So we did that and we went to this a couple therapists, and the therapists like, after like six or eight months, I think, you guys have done everything you need and you don't need to come back. I'm like, she doesn't have to come back. I'm staying And so I stay with my therapist and I go back every couple of years to her. But I think for us, it's about like having the energy to show up and not have I mean, there's so much and I mean, god, you have multiple kids, as anyone knows there's so much drive around, there's so many whitesapp groups, There's so many things you need to do, as well as running whatever work you do, whether you're a plumber or whether you are a stay at home parent. It's a lot for me. I don't have the energy level then to be exhausted from booze. I like to go to bed early. We like to sleep as much as we can because we lost a lot of sleep with one of our kids, so now we really cherish our sleep. If we're throwing booze into that mix, I think my fear is that we would have we wouldn't be as tight as we are now. And I so value her. I mean, she's away at the moment, so I could get emotional, but you know, she is just she's changed my worldview, She's changed who I am as a person in the best way. But yet she's also supported and refound things that I was when I was younger, that were the pure things about me that were missing from me when I got into the industry that was covered up by anxiety or messed around with booze or you know, or ego, or where I stand in an industry with my dad and chips on shoulders. She's helped me see me for who I am, and I can be myself with her, and I can be vulnerable with her, and I can be you know, I can cry all the time with her if I want to. And also she's my best friend.
Speaker 1: And you touched upon how the two of you navigate this with your three children, you know, answering questions what do champagne taste like? Leo, who really was the catalyst for this decision for you, is thirteen. Now, do you have any idea how you'll discuss this with him and your two younger children through the teenage years, given that, as you've talked about, there's such an intergenerational conversation here. You interviewed your dad, Jimmy for cover a Stellar back in twenty sixteen when he released his first memoir, and you said at the time, you know, this booze is everywhere in this book. You know your dad was so candid about his experience, obviously his father also being an alcoholic, severing those ties. When do you initiate that conversation, if at all? And this is a very big question. I'm throwing a lot at you in it, but if you haven't already. Do you see a day where you were say to Leo, you were really the catalyst for this decision.
Speaker 3: Wow, I hadn't thought about that, but I'm going to have to say that, And no pressure to him. He's going to find out if he googles it, and probably when this article comes out, maybe this cover, so I might have to have that conversation then, but that's okay. I think you've got to have these conversations, like talking out about porn and sex and all those sort of things. And he's very much an mpath Leo. You know, he takes he feels things very very emotionally and very he's very connected to Lisa and I still so probably now, as sooner rather than later is probably the best time because he is getting the age where you know, he's going to be tempted, you know. And I mean, I'm more worried about vaping than booze with this generation. But I think, yeah, I'm going to have to have that conversation with him, and maybe sooner rather than later. Now is probably the catalyst because he is online. He will see this and he will know that he's the reason. But it's a beautiful thing that he's the reason in a way I can say to him, you know you saved me, you know you saved your mum and I the reason why you have twins. Now, whether you like it or not all the time, it could be annoying, but he did you know? And isn't that the greatest gift?
Speaker 1: The absolute greatest gift? And when we come back, I asked David Campbell if he still has a vice. The conversation is changing a lot around alcohol in our country, as I'm sure you're aware, you know, jen Z and younger millennials drinking a lot less than our generation Gen X and obviously previous generations like Baby Boomer.
Speaker 2: I call it sober curious.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you have a label for yourself or if there's something that you call it. I mean, we're sober curious, even a thing.
Speaker 2: In twenty fourteen. I mean you were listening to the podcast.
Speaker 3: No I was just straight up sober, you know. So it's really inspiring as someone who is sober to see this because I felt that, and we were talking about when this was coming up, and we were going to talk about this, and then you mentioned the Carle thing today and the Today Show thing today I was like, so, as anyone who's converted to anything, I was so like, I should tell the story. And now it's up there, and you get really sort of like not pumped up. You feel like you do feel like this is important and maybe this can happen and share it and then you start sharing stories. But now I'm far more relaxed about it, and you know, I allow it to to sort of be out there and let people talk about it. And I'm always happy to talk about my sobriety and what it means to me. But when I look at this generation, I think about the fact they take care of their bodies and the fact they you know, they want to be out and they want to do run clubs for dates now and I mean, for me, it's like we used to go to bars, Sarah and the the hard way, not even on apps, but like, I think that's so inspiring. I'm so thrilled with that. And look, it might turn around who these things do come in waves and cycles, but I think it's I mean, that's why I'm not as worried for my kids as I would have been ten years ago. Ten years ago, I would have been like, okay, and he's talked to them about my drinking, and then you know, after talking about my dad's drinking what that means and other members of my family and how important it is to discuss these things and it's got to be serious. But now I kind of be like, yeah, you know, I need to read the book. It's fine. Look how good we are. Now that's where you want to be around, and that's what you want, and so you modeled that behavior. I like the term sober curious, but now I'm straight up sober.
Speaker 1: And as you've talked about, this feels better for you. It has brought joy and liberation, and so that's why you're doing it.
Speaker 2: Oh because I have to do it? Or oh gee, I really really.
Speaker 1: Wish I could do that, but no, no, no, And again I think that's my experience as well, because one thing I found and why you know my sort of one woman experiment for a month has turned into four years, is because I just thought that it was one less thing flying around my head, right, because you know, every day it's like doing this, how many things do I have to do? Work this, this kid's kids, Everyone that I know has got one hundred things in an hour going on in there to do list, and for me that wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Is it an alcohol free day? Or should I have a glass of one?
Speaker 1: Know, because I had wine, and so we should just have a couple of days alcohol for it. You know, I'm just trying not to do That's not a conversation anymore. I don't even think about it. Got you know, I don't even think about it. And I loved your example. Everyone will obviously have their own milestone. Absolutely acknowledge getting through your first logis doesn't apply to an awful lot of the Australian population. But getting through that first office Christmas party or whatever it is.
Speaker 3: And the first time you do it, people are going to be like, oh, what do you mean, I don't drink? And they're going to be disappointed because Lisa and I were the life of the party. Trevor Ashley, who's a very dear friend of ours, like, somebody still goes, I miss old David and Lisa and we love him for it, and.
Speaker 1: We go, yeah, that's Trevor ash But there are people going to be that way.
Speaker 3: But then by the time you get to your second Christmas party or your second LOGI is, people like, can we I'm not drinking this loggies. Can I hang out with you? And I'm like uh, And then you get a squad and then all of a sudden, no one drinks at a table, you know, and it just builds and builds and builds. You just got to find the tribe and you just do you It's going to be fine.
Speaker 1: Now. You mentioned in passing earlier when you were talking about how you have a plant based diet but your children eat meat, so you're vegan obviously, don't drink, you do exercise a lot. Do you have advice? I mean, I have terrible diet. I will eat potato chips and allows every day. Can I mention Healthish earlier? I think I've just been banned from the healthy Ish podcast for the rest.
Speaker 2: Of my life. Well do yes? Do you have advice?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? I still have a sweet tooth. And that's the hard thing is that I'm you know, so I sometimes get like a chocolate that's like a vegan chocolate, and I always try if there's something new and that's a new vegan chocolate, I will try it. Vegan Ben and Jerry's I have to stay away from, you know, if I'm really minding my weight and because I'm fifty now, you know, you gotta your body changes and you have to like, you know, stop that stuff. And I still have chips. I still do burging up with my kids. My kids and have chips and hot chips, and you know, I still lit pastas and oh yeah, I'm I just look food. I am an emotional eater. I always have been my entire family with all that's that's documented and there's a recipe book for it. So we're all we celebrate with food. We love food, and yeah, I'm I just you know, there are some things. There are some foods I miss more than booze. I don't miss boosts at all. But sometimes I go like I could deal with the chocolate.
Speaker 2: Croissant right now, and why don't you?
Speaker 3: Then, well, if you want me to be honest with you. When we traveled to Paris with the kids, I did because first of all, it's really hard to find vegan stuff in Paris. They love What are you going to do? I can't just sit there, you know and not eat anything. And I certainly had my fair share of soup both there. But I also don't want to miss out with my I mean, I wouldn't have a steak or any animal product that was going to be detrimental. But I'm like, we're walking around, I'm starving. I've got a protein bar in my bag, and my kids want a croissant. Just give me some of the Croissant's fine, I won't have it when I'm home. But it's funny you're on holidays. I don't want to miss out on the world and seeing the world through my kid's eyes because like, oh, daddy's a nasty vegan. He would never I'm not gonna They know I'd never eat meat. They know I'd never drink, you know, milk or anything like that, or have cream or ice cream. But like you're also going to be forgiving, like, Okay, this is vegetarian. There might be a bit of cheese in it. Sure, I'm not going to starve. I'm just going to have that. And then I've done enough work and I think for what I want to do for a plant based and I always just go back to it's fine.
Speaker 1: Obviously, there's been so many fundamental changes in your life. Is there anything that you think that's possibly something that I maybe want to tackle in the foreseeable future.
Speaker 3: Now, for me, it's about like fifty felt so distant when it happened, and it kind of steaks up on you. In those couple of months or weeks going into it. I really started to have some like existential crisis of like.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I'm fifty and then I've got kids and what's going on? And like Lisa, what are we going to know what's happening? And she's like you'll be fine. I'm like, yeah, I'll be fine, and when it happened, you're okay. But now for me, it's all about I want another fifty. I'm greedy. That's for me, It's about life.
Speaker 3: And that's why I like chasing a healthier path, is that I'm greedy. I want to see all my kids grow up, and I want to see their kids, and I want to be mobile, and I want to have as agile mind as I can, and I always want to improve. For Lisa, I want to make sure that she's always happy and surprised and satisfied with me, like you know, and for me challenging myself. And there's always things you have to shake off from the from the past, things, things appear out of nowhere. As you know, as you get to a certain age and you go, oh, is that still there? I've got to fix that and that sort of repair work I'm not always good at, you know. For me, in the last six months, it's being about being as my kids are getting older, being of less, not militant sergeant major like this at the structured time. But we've been very structured parents to get through three kids and especially twins, and now it's a bit more like, Okay, I'm parenting you in a different way. Now, talk to me about what you're feeling, you know. Listening to the experts of my show, going how do I this? Kids drive me nuts? But how am I going to get over my stuff and sit down and go tell me why you're behaving like this before I get angry about it, you know, And so trying to backtrack on my older parenting style to be to show them that I'm growing as a parent with you. I'm going to make this. I'm always apologizing as a parent. That's the big thing. Sorry, I was grout you this morning. Please to set my apology. I'm really sorry. You're amazing kids. I just I was short tempered, and they're like, that's fine.
Speaker 1: It's such a good example as well. Because then they know it's okay to own that you've messed up or you weren't your best self.
Speaker 2: I try also to do that for.
Speaker 3: My I just hope all the time.
Speaker 2: I think it.
Speaker 1: Completely diffuses the situation. It brings forgiveness into the scenario. You're forgiving yourself, they're forgiving you. But also, what a great thing to model, don't you think, Because I think men and women there's been such a resistance that that's weak. You can't admit that you're wrong. Maybe something happened, but that was because of that that, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean again, you're always going to do that. You're always going to justify your own arguments and you're always going to back yourself in. And often Lisa is the ones like why are you acting that way? I'm like, I don't know, I've got issues. There will be a book one day, read the columns. But for me with the kids now, I'm really I'm noticing they're getting older, so I'm trying to grab their faces and look at them and get down to their level. You know, I was lucky enough to take my daughter to Taylor the other night. You know, we got home and it wasn't Monday night and she was going to bed and I said, hey, listen, you need to know I will never forget this over Tailor's with look at me. I will never forget this moment. This means the world to me. You are my world. And she squeezed me and she's like, some of my friends think I squeezed too hard. I'm like, I'm not your friends. Go for it. You can't break me. And I do that with Leo, I do it with Bill. I'm like, you know, I try and have those moments where I sit them down my hat. It's been a big day, but I go say, you are crushing it. I love you. You're the best. I'm so proud you. And then when they have bad behavor, I'm like, oh, I'm not proud of that. That is absolutely awful. Still the tough parent still comes out. I can still the back goes up. I'm like, no, that's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: And after the break, David reveals whether he's ever rattled when things go wrong on live television, even when it's in front of a massive crowd at Carol's by Candlelight. You are, of course a singer, musician, have been musical, theater, performer co host of Today Extra. It's a full time television presenter Moonlight a bit as a radio presenter, also a Stellar columnist an O G Stellar columnist, DC. You've been with me since we first watched.
Speaker 3: We get jackets soon for this, Yeah, I think we get jackets in the twenty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The jackets are a jacket that they're on the way. They'll be sequined, you don't, you know for us of a lot of sequence here. I mean this makes Taylor Swift concert look understated and doesn't let there's so much. How as we're sitting here talking early twenty twenty four, would you characterize yourself, because I'm sure that the David Campbell that I first met, I might just tell you in a moment where we actually first met, because you might not remember it, but we'll come back to that in a moment, would have probably identified as a singer musician first and foremost, what do you think, like, what's the day job today?
Speaker 3: Often I say to people that I'm in media, and so I think that covers a lot of bases nowadays, whether it's social music, TV, whatever. But I definitely say I'm in media because there's some like you know, I've been doing these gieks again and going back out in the road and really finding my joy of singing again. For a while there, it was a lot going on. It was work, and then COVID happened and I just felt insecure about whether I should be out there and you know, and then I started booking some a run of dates, and then Mahale got on board with me and we were doing shows together and we were just having a blast. And then I was doing these concerts with the MSO and performing with friendsg and I'm like, this is it isn't It's not supposed to be like pressure, supposed to be fun again. But then I'll do something and I'll post it on social media and people like you're a singer because I've been doing for ten years and there's a generation of people are like, oh you've seen or oh you've got a good voice. I'm like, I worked on it for a couple of decades now. Yeah. So I try not to be and trying to have too much ego about where I sit in I'm just happy to still be in the industry and doing what I love and I've grown so passionate about like speaking to people and hosting a TV show and making space for people to come on that with Sylvia and our incredible team, and just having fun and providing entertainment for people at home. Because people do stop us and go like, oh, watch the show, I just love it, or I didn't see the show this week. I'm like, well, like Days of my Life, you come back with the same you know, will be the same cast, but just different people doing different things. And maybe we've grown a bit.
Speaker 1: Because I was thinking about the amazing skill set that you've developed as a television anchor. During the Carols by Candlelight on Christmas Eve last year, and there was a moment where at one point a protester approached this multiple waving a flag. So if you're watching from home as I was, I wasn't at the Sydney Meer Bowl, then you couldn't really see that you didn't know what was going on, and you were genuinely unflappable. And I don't say that to blow smoke. I mean it would have been an incredibly evolving moment. Obviously, it's the most family driven night of the year. It's Christmas Eve. You've got families there. You're also trying to anchor this national broadcast. I mean, there is a hell of a lot going on in that moment. You didn't skip a beat. Is that something that you think you could possibly have had the skill set to do after ten years ago?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not. But and you know that moment was also important for those protesters. You know, not that I'm saying that was the right moment for them. I'm not going to judge that any way, shape or form. But we were in Melbourne. Lee and I are in Melbourne because Wee always comes with me to carols because he loves Christmas as much as you and I do. And when we were going around Melbourne, you could see there was a lot going on. There was a lot of heat in the air, there was a lot of tension in the air, there was a lot of protesting. So that was playing on my mind going into the day. So when it happened, I was like, I don't remember this in rehearsal, and then I realized what was happening. And thankfully I had Sarah Arbo as well, who's just a rock and an incredible journalist, and we could both just pivot and go okay, And it was quite phonetic on stage. The security of trying to get them off and they were grabbing microphones. But there's a lot of pain out there in the world, and there's a lot of division, and I don't want to stoke that division at all. And then those but you're right, those moments are like, I don't I would have sweated. I mean, you remember me in the first few years. I was so tense and sweating and wanted to prove it and be happy and get everything right. And now you're just like, I've had so much live experience in this and stuff that's I don't think I want that to happen all the time, but it's okay that it does. And I'm also really I'm aware of how much pains in the world at the moment, and I you know, and I don't want anyone to feel that they're being excluded and not having a voice.
Speaker 2: And it's going to be fine.
Speaker 1: Is such an amazing belief to have, isn't it in life, whether it's anchoring live TV and the unexpected happens, or having a curveball happen in your family or your personal life for your career. I mean, if you've got that, that's the best any of us can hope for dear audience. A lot of our conversation today Devid Campbell and I has been focused on us sitting together on a TV panel nine years ago.
Speaker 2: I used to be a regular.
Speaker 1: Panelist on your show, and then, of course, as mentioned, I have had the absolute joy of having you work with me at Stellar since twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: But I don't know if you know this, DC, but.
Speaker 1: You and I actually met in a department store in suburban Sydney in the late nineties. I was working at the record department, the music department selling CDs remember those kids sit? Is It Back? And the music label had arranged for this up and coming cabaret singer called David Campbell to come in and perform a couple of songs, right, And so my manager in the store had organized all of this, and you know, just sort of.
Speaker 2: Said to me, Sarah, just hold these CDs, blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: And then you and your manager were there, and I think the microphone, I don't know that the microphone at David Jones Castle Hill.
Speaker 2: Was top notch.
Speaker 1: And I know this is a little bit of a self indulgent note to end the conversation on, but there's you know, been a lot of heavy topics. I just thought, well, why not tell you that we actually met back then.
Speaker 3: You know when people say how do you get to Castle Hill? I said, You've got a rehearse, you've got a practice. You know you have to actually, you know, you have to do the hard yards to get to the pinnacle. But but I love doing those sort of in stores. And there was one I did that was a suitor around that time too, where I was Phish Records when that was really big on Oxford Street at twelve on a Friday afternoon and nobody came and people would come up to me. I'll be seeing there with my stack of CDs and some guy came out. He goes hi, and am I A Hi? He goes where what if I Angela? He chose new album? I'm like, oh, over here, And I was just.
Speaker 2: Looking at that, well, we are the right person could help him.
Speaker 3: And that was the thing. But I can't believe that's when we first met. How amazing. I thank god it wasn't an a hole to you.
Speaker 2: Oh no, you are absolutely lovely.
Speaker 1: See I wasn't drinking then too, it David Camil, thank you so much for coming on to this episode today and being so generous with your story without our audience.
Speaker 3: Thank you, and thank you for sharing your story too and your sobriety. It feels good.
Speaker 1: I hope you enjoyed that episode of the summer series or something to talk about. Make sure you're following us if you're not already, because we'll be revisiting some of your favorite episodes of the past year until we're back with the brand new episode. On January twelfth, we were nursing