Speaker 1: From the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Thursday, June twenty five, twenty twenty six. Spy Chief Mike Burgess is gravely concerned about the temperature and trajectory of terrorism threats since the Bondi Beach massacre. The boss of ASIO says an Iran aligned group waging terror in Europe could coordinate assassinations, arson and vandalism in Australia. That story is live now at Vaustralian dot com dot au. He's raw, uncensored and unemployed. Karl Stefanovic, the tvaster and podcaster, will leave nine Entertainment after an ill advised interview with far right figure Tommy Robinson proved too much for the suits. Steve Jackson is here. Steve Jackson edits the media diary in The Australian Jacko on Wednesday morning. The most interesting episode of the Karl Stefanovick podcast was happening because it had been removed. I had no intention of listening to Carl Stefanovick interview Tommy Robinson until the episode was gone. Suddenly I was desperate to find it.
Speaker 2: Loved by supporters and condemned by critics. A few figures have had a bigger impact on Britain's cultural wars.
Speaker 3: Strap yourselves in.
Speaker 2: Here's our chat with Tommy Robinson.
Speaker 1: And it didn't take me long to find this deleted episode on another website where someone had forgotten to get rid of it. I listened to the whole thing and we can talk about that in a moment. But first, what did we know about why that episode went down?
Speaker 2: I mean that's the question everyone's been asking. The cover up is always the bigger deal than the actual scandal. So had it remained online, would it have been a big deal? Yeah? Maybe, because it's not that he interviewed Tommy Robinson, it's that he didn't interview Tommy Robinson. Tommy, great to talk with you. Finally. I'm surprised you're not dead yet, so am I I.
Speaker 3: Do think i'd make it a forty I'm forty three. I'm not even joking. You have tested I know you know I'm not joking.
Speaker 2: You have tested the boundaries. I feel like it's got even harder for you in some ways. But also your message is finally getting out there.
Speaker 3: Is that correct?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It is because the media and the establishment had the monopoly on the message for so many years. They could tell people who I was and people believed them. And now thanks to Elon Musk, because there was a period twenty seventeen to twenty twenty four, I was invisible. They deleted me, delete me from everything.
Speaker 2: And now that it's disappeared, the mystery is why did it disappear? And it turns out, for once the mystery is not let down. There is actually the biggest story is White disappeared. White's gone.
Speaker 1: Pauline Hanson was one of the people posting on social media about this, and she in fact posted a whole video of the episode, and she implied in her comment that Karl Stefanovic had put his employment at Channel nine at risk by publishing this episode at all.
Speaker 2: She said he was in the process of potentially getting sacked. We know, as we've been reporting and talking about on the front since last October, before anyone else was even discussing it. We've been saying Karl Stefanovic year left on his contract, he's been given permission to do this podcast, reinvent himself. And since then, Yeah, at first everyone wanted to pretend no, no, it's all business as usual, But as soon as it launched, quite clearly it wasn't business as usual. There was progressive, woke Channel nine cultivated personality Carl Stefanovic on the Today Show and there was quite in your face, reinvented all of a sudden, omnoka bloke who swears a lot and doesn't wear glasses, Karl stefanovick in your face on the podcast, and it was clear that they were to Carl Stefanovic's a Karl Stefanovic against himself and competing against the personality. So it was always going to be one of those one of those personas was going to have to die. I think it's going to be nine Stefanovic too nice a guy. He's out the window, bad boy Karl. He's going to win and as a result, Tim on Today Show is going to be other.
Speaker 1: It's quite a smart business move by Karl Stefanovic. His time at nine is coming to an end. All good things must end, Jacko. Even though I think Carl has been fantastic on the Today Show and I think he's one of Australia's only real TV stars, he has to find a new career for himself. He's got a created one, and we all know that on YouTube, provocative right wing content really works. There is a massive audience out there for it, particularly in the United States. That's not a bad thing, is it.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think it's a bad thing. And as we've discussed a lot, and I'm sure I'm not going to put words in your mouth, but I'm sure you also feel that this whole idea about councel culture and deplatforming people, it's not about deplatforming people. It's about ensuring the conversation is balanced, people are tested. But also there's a very big difference. You've got Tucker Carson doing his own thing in the US, and he can have on anyone he wants, and he can advocate for them, he can say whatever he likes. The difference is he's not also doing a network breakfast television show. So Carl is Tucker Carson. One moment people say he's the next Joe Rogan. I'm not sure who they is, someone said at once, and everyone's repeating it. But I know he wants to be Tucker Carson on his show. But at the same time, he's got to be the cultivated Carl Stefanovic and make no mistake, over the course of two decades, Nina spent a lot of money, a lot of time cultivating the Carl Stefanovic, who's cheeky, right, He's a cheeky guy from Queensland, come good, but he's okay to have in your lounge room and he's sort of on your side. And he realizes the pressure on women, the pressure to change your outfit every day, and he couldn't be bothered changing his suit for a year, but that was because he was fighting for the sisterhood. Meanwhile, bad boy Carl apparently he doesn't where he shoes to school in Brisbane in the late eighties early nineties, though that the nineteen twenties only came to Brisbane around the turn of the century. And he doesn't care and he's going to play by his own rules. So it is really a different thing for Carl, Like it's not that he interviewed Tommy Robinson, as I say, it's that he's also getting two million dollars a year to be this Carl. And that's where the conundrum lies, because we've seen it's not just nine, it's also a rn where he does his podcast with Eddie Maguire. Although they just talk over each other, they're also distancing themselves because the thing about being edgy bad boy Carl is Advertisers don't want to be hanging out with the bad boy controversy magnet. They want to be hanging out with the safe, brand aware guy that no one's going to have a drama with.
Speaker 1: Carl has very successfully monetized the new show he's getting, has he well, it seems to be there are ads. I mean, there are some of those ads of programmatic ads for dog food or JB High Fire, whatever that you would hear in any podcast, But there are sponsors. This morning, I listened to this episode and heard him reading an ad for a kind of workforce platform, And interestingly, even the ad was ideological, So instead of it just being here's a great workforce platform that can help you with your payroll and your compliance, the ad was God is hard employing people. These days. It feels like the world's out to get you fair work, tough, new.
Speaker 2: Rules, and for a hard and first I.
Speaker 1: Drink Vick exactly. And so Carl is positioning himself as the kind of battler's friend, even in the ads and that's clearly what that particular sponsor wants. He's delivering the product for them. So I listened to this episode this morning and Tommy Robinson in the episode presents as the kind of cheeky, chappy English tradeye we've all met a million times. He's standing in your living room telling you about his problems. That is who Tommy Robinson real name Stephen Yaxley Glennon really is. He founded something called the English Defense League. He led street marchers protesting against Muslims.
Speaker 3: I started in two thousand and nine, led us street protest movement till twenty fourteen. We were pretty lively, right. We were young english Men full of testosterone, which many men aren't. Now, get some testos stone in your luds, right, get it up right, because we're all becoming women, so get some testos stone in there and become men again. But we were young men, Englishmen, and we were of the mindset well we used to say, prepared for peace, ready for war, death, prison or glory. We won't submit it.
Speaker 1: And he presents himself in the podcast as a perfectly reasonable person who is the victim of a grand conspiracy by the British establishment to shut him down. What is missing is Carl saying to him, well, actually, Tommy, when you went to jail, was it really for just speaking up against the power or was it for inciting racial hatred? You know that's what's missing.
Speaker 2: Well. I also think one of his concerns is when it comes to creating this podcast is it's great. He's got a few ads and as you say, they're very on brand with a conservative view. The difference is if we went out and created our own podcast, independent podcast, that would be happy. If you're getting one hundred grand to tick over a year, you know, because you're creating something new. He's also got a very different lifestyle. So when something is working for Carl Stefanovic with a mansion that he's building and he's I had to use the word jet setting lifestyle, but I think amid the fuel crisis, the jet set is sort of back. But he has higher expectation of living standards. I would say, so when he's looking at monetizing something, he's got to be making ten times as much as your average podcaster. So he's not thinking I'm going to make two hundred grand a year out of this and that'll pay the bills. He's thinking, I'm going to monetize this to two million dollars. His issue with that is, all right, this one thing interviewing Barnaby Joyce and Paul and Hanson, and then Barnaby Joyce and Paul in Hanson and Barnaby Joyce and Peter Evans, just to make it up a little bit and back to port. That's one thing. Look, they are conservative politicians, and we can argue to the cows come home, how to dissect the wheel of left to right hand and where they fit. Tommy Robinson's something different in as far as when people talk about his background, his time behind bars his view as well as he does present, and he does a great job of making the mainstream. When you start not interviewing him and interviewing him is fine, don't get me wrong. When you start advocating for him, you are positioning yourself outside of the conservative spectrum and really out on the fringes. Not to interview him, but to start saying, hey, you're courageous, you're a great bloke. That's not an interview, that's publicity.
Speaker 3: I want to go into the roughest areas of ruin the working class communies that have been forgotten and neglected, and I want to captivate them, re energize them, and make them believe that they are And that will cause a fucking earthquake.
Speaker 2: Well why not, because this is a great country and it's just so lost.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I feel like Tommy Robinson could deal with a challenging interview. That's how he has made himself famous. He's being a figure of controversy. I don't think necessarily he would have expected to go on a provocative podcast and just be allowed to just say whatever he wants and to be not challenged at all. He's up for the challenge, he's up for the fire. That's his brand.
Speaker 2: Tommy knows that they're going to ask him those questions. What's more, he's a polished performer. He's got the answers. So whatever you're hit him with, he's been asked a million times from everyone trying to get the gotcha question, he has all the answers. So it's not as though you need to go softly with Tommy. He's polished. He's there, he's waiting for it. But instead just to go put your arm around him. Go mate, We're just a couple of battlers down on their luck, hating immigration and just wanting to go back to our old culture route. You know, I'm on a cultural roots at the same time that Karl's talking about taking a salami to school and how he was sort of ostracized for that. So look, let's say mixed messages at best, but it is it's the way he did it.
Speaker 3: We've got a thousand years of Christian English history in this country and they've given it away in seventy years. They've caused the destruction of our entire nation. They've had a successful left wing revolution attack the family attacked, the church, attack, musculinity, masculinity attack everything, but accountter revolution has now started and they ain't going to be able to stop it.
Speaker 2: Did the talk when your talking?
Speaker 3: Nice one?
Speaker 1: Thanks well, Jacko. This turned out to be a bridge too far for Channel nine. They've punted him. Is that a good idea? It really feels to me like this could have all gone another way.
Speaker 2: Well, it's the interesting thing, as you say, Claire, the problem we've had with this story from the outset is Carl's in the UK, his managers in Australia, Nines execs are in Australia, so it was always going to play out overnight during the day yesterday when everyone here is scrambling and chasing the story. And like everyone else in the country, I've been trying to call Carl. He's been asleep in London. He's woken up. Unfortunately back here in Australia. Nine has been in meetings all day about it, and they've come to the conclusion what's mutually best for both of us is maybe to go our own way.
Speaker 1: It's never mutual, though, is it. It's like we're offloading you mate, You're too much of a liability. They could have, I reckon found a way through this. Carl is famous. KRL is clearly popular. He's growing a new audience on YouTube. You know, God forbid, that's an audience that maybe nine could get. They could have offered him a senior experienced journo producer, one of the experts who make sixty minutes to help him make the podcast better, ask proper questions, be a real journalist. Clearly that's what he's lacking.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and put it on TV like he doesn't have to be on the Today Show. You would have thought all of this could have been avoided. We've known Carl wanted a late night show, was over a decade. Now give him the late night show he wants. Obviously there's an audience. See if you can sell ad it's into it. But give him a producer who can go all right. When you interview Tommy, make sure you ask him a question.
Speaker 1: Oh well, if it only had been another way.
Speaker 2: Thanks Jecho, Thank you so much for having me un Claire.
Speaker 1: Steve Jackson writes The Australian's Media Diary, and he broke the story of Karl Stefanovic's departure at The Australian dot com dot a U