Speaker 1: Lately, General Man, welcome the Late Debates. It's great to have your company on the Late Debate James Macpherson with Liz Storer and Caleb Bond coming up. How to amuse yourself on a long haul flight will show you the new trend that's going viral on social media. If you've got a flight overseas coming up, you'll want to know about it. Plus when we look at the papers, Scotland to host the twenty twenty six Commonwealth Games, Victorians to pay for it, and an interesting story in tomorrow's Australian school teachers will use AI chatbots to set your child's homework and assignments. What could possibly go wrong? But first, New South Wales alcohol laws could be loosened to allow drinking in public places, such as in parks and on beaches. Now currently alcohol can't be consumed on public footpaths or on roads, and local councils are able to declare alcohol free zones in parks and beaches. But Upper House MP John Ruddick has introduced a private members build to overturn the bands, and New South Wales Premier Chris mins Well he likes the.
Speaker 2: Idea generally on the side of believing there's just too many rules and regulations, particularly when it comes to hospitality or having fun in Sydney. There's too many places around Sydney, not just in a CBD that close pretty close to eight point thirty and there's a lot of people that want to go out and spend money and drive the economy. Having an economy that fires after five pm during the week is really important for cities like Sydney, and that means that we've got to be open to cutting red tape. The general discussion about the amount of restrictions that are in place for people that want to open a bar, or serve food, or create some kind of excitement and energy that people see in other international cities around the world would be really valuable and long overdue for Sydney.
Speaker 1: I think most people would agree with the new South Wales labor premiere that we need less rules. But it does beg the question as long as labor are in power, caleber who can afford alcohol?
Speaker 3: That's quite a federally anyway. That is true because as of August the first, the excise has gone up again and by the way, the alcohol excise, like the tobacco excise, goes up every six months, and a bit like compound interest, when you put money in the bank, it just gets worse and worse and worse because it's tied to CPI, so it goes up, you know, whatever CPI is, every six months. And of course over the last couple of years that's been really bad. You can barely get a bottle of spirits for less than fifty bucks. These days. You go and buy a bottle of bunderberg Rum and sixty three percent of the cost of that is tax. It is outrageous how we are taxed in this country. But good on.
Speaker 4: Them has a very personal dereth.
Speaker 1: Caleb has no idea. Every time we go out, you may pace you know about the cost.
Speaker 3: That's because I'm getting you to make up for lost time, because it was fifty odd years until you started drinking. So you've got you got a lot of rounds, a lot of rounds to make up for James. But good on mens for getting behind the idea of pulling some red tape out of the way, because, for heaven's sake, if you can't have a beer on the beach, we are not a serious country. If you can't go and have a picnic in the park and enjoy a glass of wine with your plowman's lunch or whatever you're have in your ketca seriously, like it's hot. It is harming no one, and New South Wales in particular, since they introduced the lockout laws in Sydney's g what a decade or so ago, totally destroyed the nightlife in Sydney. You can barely buy a bottle of wine after ten pm. We meant to be a serious international city and it's illegal to have a drink on the beach or have a restaurant open to the late. But they did all the damage they brought in the lockout laws killed King's Cross, killed all the night. Like, oh well, we'll lift that now, and let's just hope you can sort of gets where we were, is it, Caleb, Let's not go to for anyone anymore because it doesn't bloody exist anymore. But like, what's the problem with having a beer on the beach. If someone is causing a nuisance, they're going to cause a nuisance, regardless of whether there is a ban on having a drink on the beach anyway, deal with people who are publicly drunk and carry on like lauts. You can find them in any pub or any license of in you anywhere, and they should rightfully be dealt with. But what's wrong with having a beer on the beach or at the park play on? I say, but.
Speaker 4: That is something that falls into the jurisdiction of the councils. Being a city councilor myself, I remember that. Well, So unless he's talking about amending the legislation to take that power back off the councils, all this was was a pile of hot air. I'm not really sure what we're excited about. All he said is general discussion would be really valuable. Mate. That the only line older than that in politics is let there be live I mean, he's not actually promised any action here. It is simply a yes, this is something we should have a discussion about. So I find it very hard to get excited when all he's really done is prove that he's capable of stating an observable fact. But what is he going to do about it? Sure, but at least you see the men's government then amending the state legislation that gives that power to the councils, because obviously counsels differ greatly in their makeups. You've got the really beach rich ones, the park rich ones, the ones that see a lot of tourists coming through. They're more likely to be far more adverse to now allowing there to be because a lot of people have big parties on the beach in those parts, et cetera, and that is going to lend itself to public drunkend.
Speaker 1: What's your view? Do you think it's a good idea.
Speaker 4: I do think it's a good idea. I'm simply saying I'm not excited about this little spiel that is given today until it's backed up with action, because, like I say, it's not very usual that the States slap the rests of the councils and say, actually, we've changed our minds. His certain powers we're taking off you. They do leave that to the councils, and in some ways that is good because, like I say, councils differ greatly in terms of demographics and their kind of parkland areas. They're beaches, some of them are inland. Wouldn't actually this wouldn't affect them that much at all. It's the other councils who will be quite typefisted about that and say, well, hang on a minute. If you're going to say that where to allow alcohol to flow freely in the parts and beaches, We're gonna need more cops on the beat. We're gonna need I mean, it's one of those issues that has significant extrapolations for other areas, and of course that then falls on the state because policing is a state issue, not a council issue, and so it's just one of those pebbles that creates a lot more ripples than you might think initially, rather than just saying, oh, yeah, it would be good to see a lot more nightlife. Well, as Caleb's pointed out, nightlife was killed off by the lockdown laws, and even though they were scrapped years ago, a lot of people and a lot of people running, whether it's their pubs or bars or clubs, still act like those are in place. It's almost like most people in New South Wales don't know that they have been scrapped, and so all the people who are bar owners and the like just still do the same because people aren't hanging around as late as they used to because it's been years since they've thought that. That's even legal and I'm not going to get a drink.
Speaker 1: Let me play devil's advocate on this, right, So don't buy the idea that we're an international city. You know they do it in Europe, and who cares what they do in Europe. We're our own country. We do what we want. So I dismissed that argument. What do you say to families who say we like going to the beach. You take hot summers in Australia a bunch of young people drinking all day. You're going to end up with drunken LUTs who behave like idiots and make everybody's life miserable. What's wrong with the status quo where if you want to drink, go to a pub where people are contained, they're looked after by bar, attendance and so on and so.
Speaker 4: Forth, responsible service of alcohol.
Speaker 1: Right. I want to be able to go to the beach with my family and not have to worry about idiots. When there will be idiots because summer beers, long days on the beach, you'll end up with problems.
Speaker 3: But there's idiots everywhere. I mean, I grew up, but we.
Speaker 1: Don't have drunken idiots on the beach right now? But we will if they do this.
Speaker 3: But I know I don't think that's correct necessarily, because if you want to be a drunken idiot on the beach, you're probably already going to do it anyway. And I grew up going to the beach as a kid and there was always an esky. I mean that I wasn't having the beers as a kid, but there was always an eski full of beers and soft drinks for me, unfortunately, but there was always an eski full of beers. That's never been a problem. I've been to plenty of picnics where alcohol has been consumed. And this is happening all over the country right now. We're not probably not right now ten o'clock at night, but you know it's happening all over the country all the time without much problem. I mean, you don't really hear a great deal of issue about to hear about the mums down at the local park getting on the white wines causing lots of trouble, and the beach is full of drunken yobbos, like it's not a big issue. It happens in other parts of the country. I don't see why it can't happen in New South Wales as well. If someone is making a dickhead of themselves, you call the cops and the cops come and deal with them like any other situation.
Speaker 1: But the reason it's not a big issue is because you're not allowed to do it currently.
Speaker 3: You're allowed to do it in other but you can do it in other Australia.
Speaker 4: Where they just do it surreptitiously. Yeah yeah, the flask, or they'll put it in something that's unrecognizable. They're not actually getting the bottles of wine out and pouring into like what's obviously champagne glasses, but they one hundred percent still do it, but they do it in such a responsible way that they're not kind of also, I think people are trying to protect kids from that kind of I'm going to the park with mom and dad, and you know, five of the six families here are getting on the plank. I mean that that's not something that we do want advertised to kids, like everyone gather around this is this is perfectly okay, and you can see them all getting rowdy. I just think it would it would be naive to say that legalizing that wouldn't lend itself and the other. The other way this argument falls down is that MINS is saying, well, we want to get business back up and running, et cetera, and so on. Those are two very different things. So it's not like people are buying less alcohol because they can't take it to a park. It either means they'll go to a pub or some other place to have alcohol, or they'll buy it, take it home and have a backyard barbecue in instead. So the whole argument of oh well this will really fire the economy, no, people are getting their booze one way or another.
Speaker 3: In a cost of living crisis. The opportunity to be able to have your picnic at the park with your wine instead of being forced to go to the pub where you have to spend you know, I mean ten dollars of pint is pretty good these days, to be perfectly honest. That's a good cost of living. Drive, go and have fun in the park instead of having to go to the pub.
Speaker 4: Tell you when you could. Though, during COVID, I still remember these signs. In part there's this one right by Circular Key. In fact, you're in Circular Kee and there's this plot of grass and they'd done the crop circles. Everyone's sitting in your crop circle. Oh my gosh, the idiocy of this time. But the signs literally said you can enjoy alcohol. You can't enjoy anything else. Everything's closed, but hey, for this particular period of time, alcohol is allowed to be consumed down here on. Everyone gather around, just stay within new crop circles, and it's all fine. And I remember just thinking this has got to be peak idiocy. All the gyms are closed, no one can go to work, but you can drink in the park like full slab.
Speaker 3: God, God forbid your lart have a cigarette, though a copper would come and make it. Put in that egg as you'll have beeen someone. And it's funny you mention it, because I remember I was living in Victoria when that final long lockdown happened.
Speaker 4: You guys learned to drink in part.
Speaker 3: Well. It was funny because someone organized online, like through a community Facebook group, almost like a pub crawl because you get takeaway alcohol, right, And so all the local businesses were doing you know, cocktails and whatever so people could have their one hours exercise a day. I think it was in Richmond, and they mapped out all the places doing takeaway alcohol and it was like a community pub crawl to support the local businesses. And then Daniel Andrews came out the next day and said that shit, we cannot have that. That is not within the spirit of the rules, and then he banned public drinking. So my little bit of pushback on that was every day when I walked home from work, I grabbed a beer from the local bottle shop and drank that on the way home with the mask down to oh my god, breaking the rules. While we are on the craziness of bureaucracy, let's go to Victoria where nurses are having trouble with a drug that was introduced last year, or was introduced more freely last year, called naloxone. Now, basically what this does if someone is having a drug overdose, particularly an opioid drug overdose, they could administer this drug. It's often done by a nasal spray and it reverses the effects of the overdose. Very effective, great drug to have available to nurses, except if you're a paramedic or a nurse or a volunteer paramedic, etc. You have to call Triple zero to get permission to administer the drug in the first place. Because if you don't do that and there's some sort of adverse reaction to this person who is already having a drug overdose, by the way, they could then potentially sue you and you're not covered by the indemnity scheme, which seems a bit ridiculous, and even more ridiculous when you then find out that if you're just an average joe on the street who manages to get his hands on some nlocks own, you can administer that without calling Triple zero. But if you are a qualified medic, nurse, paramedic, you have to call for permission. And what is being pointed out a year after this was introduced in Victoria is that you know, the two minutes or so you might be sitting on the phone to Triple zero waiting to get permission could be the difference between life and death. Richie Goonan is from Youth Projects. They do work on the street in terms of medical stuff. He says two minutes is an extremely long time when you've got someone with a really shallow breathing lips going blue. He said that such a delay could be the difference between receiving quote, a life saving drug in a timely fashion and death or permanent at harm. The lock zowone is a safe drug to use, with the side effects in the literature being very rare. I mean, what a stupid situation where you have something that could save someone's life and I don't know because of bureaucracy and laws that simply have not kept up with where things are at. If you don't want to potentially lose your job for trying to save someone's life, you have to make a phone call and sit on hold and watch this person die. It's just outrageous.
Speaker 1: This drug is so effective and so safe that they're now putting it in vending machines around Melbourne so it can be accessed twenty four to seven by anyone. And the biggest belief of the Victorian government that's spent so much political capital and so much time on drug injecting rooms because we want to look after people who are using drugs and care for them in the event of an overdose. Haven't soughted out something as simple as allowing frontline workers to use this simple drug which has very rare side effects in a matter of life and death.
Speaker 4: Well, they're worried about indemnity and insurance schemes but when you're in a life and death situation calling Triple zero and spending two minutes on hold, like Richie Coogan shared that one of his nurses had done. He runs youth projects, so they do a lot of outreach and see people having these kinds of experiences and they need to act fast otherwise it's not going to be very effective. So, according to Victoria's good Samaritan laws, a bystander like if you or I had it on us, we could just run up to this person inject them straight up. But someone who actually is a nurse and knows far better what they're doing has to call Triple zero and wait for what. Can you imagine how that conversation would go. It'd just be someone at the end of the other line going, I have someone here who looks like they're experiencing a OD. I'm going to administer this drug and what else is.
Speaker 3: The Triple one person going to go for it for?
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, okay, thanks for the indemnity insurance.
Speaker 3: Okay, bye.
Speaker 4: But I think what this really opens up again is another conversation about how easy and safe do we want to make drug taking. So Victoria already has this permanent pill testing in place eighteen months trial, then they're just going to have it permanently, so round the clock. If you hasn't have an illicit substance and you want to make sure that you're not going to die from taking it, the state, we will pay for you to go and make sure that, Okay, I can safely take this illegal drug. Now, the state is introducing twenty four hour vending machines for this meloxone. So in the event that you're a friend does have an overdose because you're having a wild night, someone just administer that quick fast and hopefully nothing bad will happen. How accessible do we want to make this because we are creating a society now where there are no repercussions to taking illegal drugs. So why would I not buy them? Why would I not take them? Why would my friends and I partying young, don't really know any better, just experimenting, going to a music festival, whatever the case may be. Why wouldn't we avail ourselves of these illicit substances that we know are a societal evil.
Speaker 1: There's no doubt that's the way we're going in Victoria. In the Act, they've loosened drug laws to an incredible degree. But I mean, you've got the ridiculous situation where if Caleb overdoses on drugs and you're a qualified just for the sake of the illustration, and we've got this effective medicine, right yeah, and you're a nurse and you say to me, James, you treat him because I'm qualified to do it. You're a coverin man Jo, I'm unqualified. Therefore I'm the only one that can treat you. That's a ridiculous situation. And the other thing in this story is how could someone spend two minutes on hold to triple O what that call was about. But that biggest belief that puts.
Speaker 4: You on hold.
Speaker 3: The triples we're paying for. The triple zero system in Victoria has been in a bad way for a long time, and there's more than thirty people. When I was the Herald Son were doing stories about there's more than thirty people whose deaths are directly connected to the fact that they couldn't get through to someone on Triple zero. In time. I think there was even a point where the phone just wouldn't ring because all the operators we were engaged, right, which is utterly ridiculous. But this is the stupidity of government that they cannot get their ducks in a row like you would think, Okay, we've introduced this life saving drug. We're equipping ambulances and other workers with it so that they have it on hand if they need it. But by the way, we're going to put a hurdle in the way so that you can't actually use it when it is most effective. How with all the people who are employed in the public service, we see these examples time and time again, all the people employed in the public service. How was there not someone who went, okay, yep, we should probably amend this bit here so that this bit here works. We pay for this stuff and they cannot do anything properly. Like what are we paying public servants for? If you outsourced all of this stuff to the private sector, it'll be done in five minutes flat. But no to public service. I can't possibly.
Speaker 4: The drug is free, but you don't even need a prescription. You can get it out of a vending machine, or you will very shortly be able to get it out of a vending machine around the clock. And yeah, if I'm a nurse, everyone can admit a through it, except if you're a trained professional. Then you're in trouble. You have to think about insurance and called triple zero to New South Wales now where there's a warning that Oxford Street I'm losing its LGBTQ flavor now. I had to read this in laugh today because I used to live in Darlinghurst and trust me, nothing is getting rid of that flavor. When I first moved to Sydney and I didn't know the Darlinghurst was basically the LGBTQ capital of the world, not just Australia, the world. The roads are rainbow, the flags a rainbow. I was like, is this all of Sydney or all of I just really badly chosen while I'm trotting around in my Trump twenty twenty cap but really badly chosen which suburb I'm living in. So there's a few developments going on and the mayor is trying to reassure everyone this is not going to change the LGBTIQ flavor of Oxford Street. She said, we want the strip to be a celebration of the LGBTIQ culture and community, a destination and workplace for cultures and creatives, with more businesses and local services in the street heritage buildings. That is literally all they are doing. There's a few rehnos happening, there's a few more bike lanes going in, which I know you're very passionate about Kale, but I don't see how that is going to alter the culture on Oxford Street whatsoever.
Speaker 3: I was so funny this story that the SMH did about it, because you know, the SMH kids about this kind of thing. And they quoted a blow called Marty Nasif, who is a travel agent. He's got a shop just off of Oxford Street, and he was complaining that the character of Oxford Street has been diluted by quote unquote gentrification and an influx of young families with kids. In all, he says, King Street, Newtown and Innmore Road clearly have a lot more vibe and buzz because there are heaps of cafes, shops and different cultures. And he said that Oxford Street was dominated by convenience stores and vape shops as well as empty shop fronts. He said there are own only a few token gay establishments really left. So what he's saying is that Oxford Street at the moment is a dump, and so someone else is coming in to put up some developments and some housing that might actually attract some business to Oxford Street, and some cafes and some restaurants that would give it the kind of vibe that he wants, so it's not just a dump full of convenience stores and vape shops. And he thinks that's a bad thing. And I find it so delicious that, you know, moneyed lefties who've gone and gentrified the rest of Australia like you think of working class strongholds. I'm going to go to Melbourne because I lived there long enough to sort of understand places like Fitzroy etc. Right that once upon a time were real working class territory. And even here in Sydney, if you want to talk about Glebe and places like that, real working class territory that moneyed lefties moved into, Greens voters moved into and gentrified the place because we can't have that riffraff living hell to make it good for us to live in. And now they're complaining that someone else is coming in and gentrifying the one bit of grungy Sydney that they left alone so they could go and enjoy it on the weekend but not have to live in it. That my friends is called going full circle. It's come back to bite you on the bum. You gentrified everyone else's territory and now you're upset that they're going to gentrify your playground.
Speaker 1: This story is hilarious to me. I mean, firstly, it's quite serious. There's a serious side to this, and that is that Sydney, Why are you laughing already?
Speaker 3: I'm waiting for it. I'm serious.
Speaker 4: Did as we say you say something serious?
Speaker 3: You know it's not.
Speaker 1: Trust me, this is very serious. Sydney City Council could be guilty of gay conversion therapy by trying to make Oxford Street go straight. Ah, that's the big problem here.
Speaker 4: It has spent millions of dollars on the LGBT IT Museum in Darling, So that's another reason why this is just absurd. I'm like, you just had your grand opening. Thousands of people are coming through the doors. Is this constant celebration of all things lgbt IQ And now because a few developments are going up because I was looking a bit dere elite, They're all like this is going to ruin the culture.
Speaker 1: One of the best part is it's not just the developments. It's young families with kids are moving in. I think it's terrible diversity. Oh no, no, we not have diversity. Do they talk about the fact that retailers in Oxford Street apparently have to sign a Pride Business Charter whereby they agree to prefer LGBTQ staff. Well, woe betider Catholic school that preferences Catholic staff. I mean, I remembering.
Speaker 3: About to say Catholic school opening up.
Speaker 1: They would really ruin the character of the area. But I remember when you know, the gay community wanted to be just like everybody else, and so I would have thought it was a sign of great success on behalf of the LGBTQ community that families with children want to live. Next story, this is a group that have campaign for social change for years and now they're campaigning against any social change. So that the ironies through this story are numerous. But trust Clovermoret. She promises, no, no, we'll retain the LGBTQ character. We'll put in a whole lot more rainbow crossings, which is just what Sydney need. Let's talk about something far more serious, and that is the threat of Islamic terrorism. Is a new report come out from King's College which details just the kinds of people that are being arrested on terrorism charges in Europe and it's got implications for the rest of the West, including Australia. They say that two thirds of ISIS linked arrests in Europe over the past nine months have been involving teenagers. Of fifty eight arrests for ISIS linked terror acts, thirty eight arrests involved young people aged thirteen to nineteen. And of course this was brought to the fore just recently when the Taylor Swift concert was postpar owned because of seventeen eighteen and nineteen year old were charged with planning a terror attack. So that makes forty one teenagers recruited to commit terror acts in Europe over the past nine months. Most of them contacted online and then manipulated into attempting one of these attacks. Director of research at Syracuse University Institute for Security Policy and Law said, and I quote, there's no doubt in anybody's mind that the preferred means and mechanisms for recruitment in the West, meaning Europe, but also in the US, Canada, Australia and elsewhere is with teenagers. Everybody loves to recruit young people, especially young men, because there's developmental issues. Their brains aren't fully formed until they're twenty five.
Speaker 3: How old are you calm twenty five until they're twenty bucks.
Speaker 1: So it's a Siah story until they're twenty five or so.
Speaker 4: Handful online, Taylor, mate, I'm going to come in tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Terrorst decisions. You're vulnerable, So there's a point.
Speaker 1: To talk about here. But what I find alarming is that you would think the entire problem is you've got young men whose brains aren't fully developed going on the internet. Well, which brings up the point that you just joked about you better stay off the internet from lost another birthday, otherwise you might be going all ghad on it.
Speaker 3: My brain was fully developed at about four years old. Different, different to the rest, Claudia.
Speaker 1: It's not just going online as a young person. And this article says, you know, people could be searching something as and this was the quote as innocuous as sharia law. That's the problem when you think that sharia law is innocuous, that it's just a nothing burger, no wonder, we're not doing anything to start to get a grip on this issue. When that's the mentality.
Speaker 4: No one what anyone's to say, This is not young people getting on the internet is not the problem Radical Islam is because like when every time there's a shooting in the state, they want to make guns the problem. Well, no, guns have been around for hundreds and hundreds of years, and we didn't have these weird whack job mass shootings, did we. No. No one wants to talk about the mental health issues that inevitably then gets found out about the perpetrator of those tragic, unthinkable events. No one wants to talk about all the underlying factors. They just want to make it about gun control. And if we didn't have guns, this wouldn't happen, by the way, those kind of sicko psycho people would find some way, They would find some way to do what they wanted to do because they are mentally unwell, So making guns the problem is a furfey just like how the governments now across the West are saying, oh, we need to clamp down on access to the Internet for younger people because they're vulnerable. You didn't care when it was pornography, did you, And that was ravaging is still ravaging our young people and making it really hard for them to have more healthy relationships with the opposite sex. You didn't care about that at all, even though you know you have all the research of how that literally affects their mental development. So they're happy to talk about oh, males, brains aren't fully formed till they're twenty five. But they won't do anything to keep pornography away from them. Now they want to say radical Islam without saying radical Islam. No, no, the issue is just access to the internet. No, it's not. And also, why don't we talk about the fact that why are these guys attracted to this kind of radical ideology? Is it because we as a society have kicked out every single prick from underneath them. They used to inform their identity, their religion, their race, their every single other thing, including their gender. Oh toxic masculinity. Now, don't want any of that. Everything that someone used to rely on as a young person, the family that they belong to, the church that they attended, the religion they were raised in, all of that. It's like, no, no, no, all those points of identification have been ripped out from underneath them. They've been told that every single thing about them is basically meaningless, including even your gender that can change every five minutes, and so they're looking for purpose, They're looking for meaning. That is what is making them vulnerable to this kind of radical ideology that a reasonable person would read it and go, wow, this sounds like hell on Earth. Absolutely, I'm not signing us.
Speaker 1: So just before you go, everything you said is absolutely true. There's one more thing and that we should add. When you bring people into a Western culture and their entire worldview is that the Western culture is licentious, it's evil, it's crude, and then they are ghetto or ghettoised is that a word that they're basically a ghetto where they're shielded from the rest of the culture and they are taught that the culture around them is evil. They're a prime target for radicalization.
Speaker 4: Especially in our universities, we're very cognizant of the fact they're already being told the West is crap, our history is just something to be so ashamed of, where the worst and they aren't told about the incredible empire of Western civilization, what it was built upon, the Christian values, etc. So they're already taught to be ashamed of it, look down on it, and then they tap into an ideology like this that is like, yes, it's inferior in every way and disgusting, So you should join our club because you guys are on a terrible path you always have been, and welcome.
Speaker 3: Well, if your culture is denigrated enough, you'll eventually go looking for another one, And if it's denigrated enough that you start to believe it's bad, you might convince yourself it's worth fighting against. And this is where these kids end up. And as you say that, the problem is not so much the Internet, that the Internet makes it much easier to radicalize young men. So it is now more easy to radicalize a young man or a young person than it has ever been in history, which means it is more important to fight against radical Islam than it has ever been in history. But of course we don't have that discussion about all. You know, radical Islam is more of a danger now than it's ever been. It's the discussion around will the modes that they use to get to them? Who cares what modes they use to get to them? You have to get down to the ideology itself. Trying to deal with the mode is like putting a band aid over a wound. And then pretending it's not there. Unless you cut a cancer out, the cancer will continue to spread through your body. And so you have to wonder then why. The boss of ASIO, Mike Burgess, went on the ABC yesterday morning on Insiders and was asked whether people who have expressed support or sympathy for Hamas should be allowed to come into the country, and Mike Burgess gave this sort of all over the shop answered, you know, oh, well, if they given money to them, yeah, we probably shouldn't have them. But if they've just you know, rhetorically given to support to Hamas, no problem. If they've expressed any support or sympathy for Hamas, is.
Speaker 5: That a problem. Depends on the know what that looks like. If they're supportive because they want their homeland. If they're giving financial support or material aid, that can be a problem. And obviously we take each case on its merits and the context of the information we have before us. But if it's just rhetorical support, if it's just rhetorical re support and they don't have an ideology or support for a violent extreme as an ideology, then that's not a problem. If they have a support for that idergy, that will be a problem.
Speaker 3: Just back up from it. They've given rhetorical support to Hamas, which is a terrorist organization which believes that Israel shouldn't exist, that believes the Jews should be wiped out. They're given rhetorical support to Hamas, but they don't believe in any sort of extremist ideology. How does that work? Like, how can.
Speaker 4: Support isn't support?
Speaker 3: Well, I know, And how can the man who yesterday not yesterday last week stood up with the Prime Minister and raise the terror threat from possible to probable then say there could be situations where it's okay to import people who support a terrorist organization into the country.
Speaker 1: For the head of ASIO to say that rhetorical support is okay as long as you don't have the ideology you know deep inside, well, he should listen to a famous Jew who once said, out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. If you are cheering for people to behead Jews, but as long as you yourself don't do the beheading, that's okay. That's ridiculous. But did you also note he equivocated on if they're providing material or financial support, that could be a problem. What do you mean it could be a problem. That's automatic disqualification. We are more and we're being protected by absolute fools. I could not believe that interview. This is the same man who said in December that pro Palestinian marches every weekend around our city calling for Israel to be wiped from the map are a good pressure release and.
Speaker 4: There's just blowing off scene. It's fine, you guys, Thank goodness. Senator James Patterson then took the mic to slap this down. What we all wouldn't give to see this guy in charge of Azio and heck our borders, our immigration. Listen to what he had to say and see if you don't resonate.
Speaker 6: MUSS a listed terrorist organization. It has political objectives which it believes should be achieved through violence, and anybody who supports using violent means to achieve political objectives is not welcome in Australia and should not come to Australia. But if you support using attacks like the seventh October, which killed the largest number of Jews since the end of the Holocaust, twelve hundred people on one day and kidnapped hundreds more, then I don't think you should come to this country. I mean we should ask ourselves. Will our country be stronger, bring hamas supporters in. Will we be more united? Will we be more cohesive? Will our problems of andty seventism be better or will they be worse?
Speaker 1: Absolutely well, said Senator James Pattison. We're going to go to a break. When we come back, we'll look at what tomorrow's papers are reporting, including school teachers to use AI chatbots to set your child's homework. That's coming up from the moment. Welcome back. Well, let's take a look at what's making news in tomorrow's papers. And Caleb. With the Paris Games now over, the talk is turning to Brisbane in twenty thirty two.
Speaker 3: Indeed it is the career Mail says tomorrow. Don't shame the games. Sally fears Brisbane twenty thirty two will embarrass us. Brisbane risks embarrassing Australia on the world stage in twenty thirty two and falling well short of Paris if it sticks with a lackluster, no frills athletics stadium in the Suburbs. Olympic Great and Queensland Golden Girl Sally Pearson has worn because of course they're going to have the Athletics supposedly at Cusack, which is out in bloody whoop woop. Right, and look, the trouble that the Queensland state government is in is that the Brisbane Olympics is meant to be the blueprint going forward for how you can host the Olympics without bankrupting a city or a country. Right, so they've kind of got to do a budget version of the Olympics in some way, otherwise it will get to the point because it's just becoming so expensive that no one will want to bid for it anymore. But for heaven's sake, like, surely we can do better than sending them to Cusack, which has been there forever in a day, which is so far out of the city that no one will want to go there. Like you do actually have to invest some money in making the Olympics work because you look at Paris and I know that the opening ceremony was it was a bit lackluster in many ways, et cetera.
Speaker 4: But your blasphemy, but.
Speaker 3: You look at the setting that they is from aside from that, but.
Speaker 4: Also we've heard about the swimmers throwing up they all got after swimming the river hardboard beds everywhere within forty eight hours. There's no dairy because we're all doing this climate communism, diet welcome elite athletes of the world. The no air conditioning. When I read this headline, I was like, don't shame the games. I think Paris has already drunk that beer.
Speaker 3: The thing that Paris work, I think the Paris.
Speaker 4: We go on.
Speaker 1: You know, you mentioned the beds, the food, et cetera. You know, there's one part of the Olympic village I didn't see anyone else talk about. And I read it the other day the toilet brushes in the athletes rooms where they called them reclaimed toilet brushes where they were reclaimed from. But I mean that was the worst. What the anyway? With that thought in mind, going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not sure about what I was going to say. The version of the toilet is that Paris has the backdrop, right, and I mean, you know, looked at the venting and the Eiffel It was just it's a beautiful setting. I mean, Brisbane's got what the Brisbane River, that's what we're looking at. So we've we're going to be on the world stage. Brisbane is going to be broadcast into every country in the world, and broadcasters will pay exorbitant sums of money to pay for this to be broadcast on their networks. And then we're going to serve them up the Brisbane River and cusack like it will be an embarrassment people on the other side of the Australia ge. I'm not going to go there anymore. What a dump I reckon.
Speaker 4: They should just toss it out the window. Have it back in Sydney. Homebush is still good to go. We'll give it spit and polish and Sydney, as we all know, is the most beautiful city in this country and has all the national icons right here. What more could you want, Australia. Please vote now to the front page of the Herald Sun now games for free. We're talking about the Commonwealth Games this time. Glasgow is set to host the twenty twenty six Commonwealth Games for as little as three hundred million dollars after Victoria banned in the event, saying it would cost taxpayers up to seven billion. What were you doing, Victoria? Commonwealth Games Scotland chairman he and Reid said he was hopeful Glasgow would be confirmed as host of a scaled back games within days. Get this, So the bulk of the three hundred million is going to be footed by the Victorian government anyway, to the tune of two hundred million. So Glasgow gets to host it and only chalks up one hundred mili.
Speaker 1: A credit card is a wonderful thing, Liz and the Victorian government, they know how to swipe. The reason Glasgow were doing it so much cheaper is they came up with this brilliant idea that no one's ever thought of before. Right, They're going to have the games in like one central place. No, yeah, see Victoria. They were going to have a bit in Indigo, a bit in Horsham, a bit in Shepherdon, a bit everywhere. The cost were bananas. Glasgow actually doing it properly and are able to afford it, unlike Daniel Andrews' plan, which was basically to guarner votes from regional areas in preparation for an election, and whether they have held the games or not was kind of irrelevant. Now they're not.
Speaker 4: Second Slash on front of the hun victims snubbed youth crime crisis, moved to outlaw grieving families from having a say in juveniles offender's release on parole. Are you kidding me? No, they're not. Victims of youth crime would be banned from having a say over whether offenders are released on parole under justice system reforms. The proposal, dubbed a snub to victims, comes as the government seats to tough and bail laws a mid community angst over rampaging teams. You'd think if you were looking to toughen bail laws a mid community angst, the last thing you would do is gag the victims and their families when you're talking about should this person get let out on bail or not.
Speaker 3: Well, we're talking about parole here and not bail, right, So you've already been locked up. They want to toughen the bail laws. But if you're getting parole, you've been locked up, you've been in prison, and so a parole board should have the ability to talk to victims' families before they make a decision about whether they let someone out. And I'll be very interested to talk to a friend of mine who used to be the chair of the children's parole board in Victoria about what all of this means, because if you're going to say Okay, we're going to let someone else. We're going to let someone out, and then you can't go and say to someone who's been affected by them how you're feeling. Would you feel safe with them on the street. What's the job of the parole board? Are they just going to be a rubber stamp. I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've got to try and asstate whether this person has been reformed or whatever. That would be the question they ask. But you're right to not have victims speak into that decision. Seems a little silly, especially when they keep going on about how they're trying to fix crime issues. Incredible scenes in Cans early this morning. Great photo on the front of the Cans post crash probe. Unauthorized chopper was stolen from airport in all the early hours fatal flights as the headline. A helicopter on an unauthorized flight I guess unauthorized means stolen crashed into the roof of a Cans waterfront hotel, killing the pilot and forcing the evacuation of hundreds of people. Police have confirmed the pilot and single occupant of the aircraft was found dead at the scene. This was the Hilton hotel I think in Cans and an elderly couple were fast asleep at one fifty am when a helicopter literally flew into the side of their hotel room. They weren't injured, taking to hospital precaution area, I guess, but it's a miracle they weren't killed. It's extreme this, and please still trying to work out the identity of the person who took the helicopter. Clearly they were able to fly, because there are reports this helicopter was in the air for around an hour before it actually crashed, but no one knew it was in the air because there was no flight path logged or anything like that.
Speaker 3: And when he's such an idiot, thankfully the only person who's killed is himself. You know, well done, mate. But I have been drunk, and I've never been so drunk in my life that I've thought I'm going to go and steal a helicopter and try to fly it around Cans. Like, how out of your brain do you have to be? Like? You know, stealing a car is one thing that's bad enough, but imagine thing, I'm going to steal a helicopter a thinking you'd ever be able to get away with that. You can't just go and dump a car out the back of a park and set it on fire a helicopter. What was going through this man's head?
Speaker 1: I guess we'll find out over the next few weeks. We're going to go to a break when we come back. But the bizarre new trend, the way people are occupying themselves on long haul flights, will show you. Okay, well, if you've ever been on a long haul flight, you'll know the dilemma how to amuse yourself until you get to your destination. Well, there's a new trend that's gone viral on social media. It's called raw dogging, where people on long haul flights sit and stare straight ahead at the navigation map, occupied only by their own thoughts. The current record holder is Damon Bailey, who, for thirteen point five hours from Shanghai to Dallas sat and stared without saying a word or doing anything. Here's a social media influencer explaining, see.
Speaker 3: Now a flight across the world, no music, no movies, ride dogget stare at the flight mapping entire away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure it's a trend. I think that's just Jetstar. But this whole phenomena. Really, I think came from a famous Seinfeld scene.
Speaker 3: You want something to read, nuck?
Speaker 4: Are you going to take a nap? Or you're just gonna sit there staring at the back of the seat.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 4: I can't take it.
Speaker 1: I sympathize. I reckon if someone was sitting beside me on a flight doing nothing, I'd get annoyed if it.
Speaker 3: Would be a bit disconcerting. I thought raw dogging was what you did when you wanted to join the male High Club. But anyway, but you just do what I do and drink on the flight. If you drink enough, you don't have to worry about anything else. I love this.
Speaker 4: This is so like stoic. It's like I don't need to constantly distract myself and detain my boat, watch a movie, read another book.
Speaker 3: Down alcohol.
Speaker 4: But before we leave you tonight, we've got to tell you about this woman in Illinois who stole two point two million dollars worth of chicking where from her school district. She worked at the school for ten years and then decided maybe they weren't paying her enough. She ordered more than eleven thousand cases of chicken wings from the school district's food provider and then got a district cargo van to pick it up. The school didn't even notice this had happened until a mid year audit picked up on the fact that they had spent a heck of a lot of money on chicken wings and they did not have that many chicken wings in their order. I mean, Vera a Little, her name is Vera Little. I'm not sure whether this is Does this make her legendary? What do you do with that many chicken wings?
Speaker 1: She was never going to get away with it because they don't even serve chicken wings to the kids because of the bones, So it was even on the menu. That's all we've got time for, but don't go anywhere. Coming right up is the red Penneesio