Speaker 1: This is the chrissiest one show.
Speaker 2: We're about to we might be able to what do they say, throw a cat amongst the pigeons here.
Speaker 1: We've consulted Reddit and one of the top trending stories in that particular, Nest of Vipers, is a very simple statement that says, work is having to bring your kids to work day and then there's no question, there's no question, it's just go forth and discuss it. And you and I said, Jack, we don't think that they're a good idea, Absolutely not.
Speaker 2: I do not.
Speaker 3: Care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't see the point of having them here.
Speaker 2: I've got three of my own.
Speaker 1: So I like, I know how to deal with children. I come to work, not to deal with.
Speaker 3: Children, and to be you and see your friends in your community. Right and work.
Speaker 2: It's a very different thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just read an article on the weekend about maintaining your mental health. You need a stopper between each role that you have and when you've got it. When you're a mother, you need a little buffer of time, half an hour for you to recalibrate and be your next person.
Speaker 2: Worker whatever.
Speaker 3: Thirteen twenty four to ten, does your workplace do or bring kids to work day.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't think they do that here at NOA.
Speaker 3: We've done something to be fair, because I get if your parent works at NOVA. It's pretty cool to be in a radio station or know that your parents work at a radio station. So I know Nova's done something before where they do a bring your family to the office from fort or six or fort or seven and they put on drinks and the kids run around and get to see the studios. That I'm okay with because it's after the workday.
Speaker 2: Babysitter or something, sure, come, but not a whole day.
Speaker 3: Dedicate how many children would be here, it would be awful. I feel the same about pets in what way? Do not bring your dog to the office. Do not bring your dog to work. You might think it's cute no one.
Speaker 2: Else does, but what if they just sit under the.
Speaker 3: I don't care how long is a piece of string, Then every Joe, Dick and Harry are going to want to bring their dogs in. And I don't want a kelpie running under my legs while I'm trying to make my skinny lart eate the coffee machine cakes.
Speaker 1: I think you choose like you wouldn't go if you had a kelpie, you wouldn't bring them.
Speaker 3: But have you met people Murphy could come here?
Speaker 2: I have thirteen twenty four to ten.
Speaker 1: I mean, we have a guy that we know that we work with here, Yes, who told a story. Didn't happen here at Nover, happened at a different workplace where it was bring your kid to work day and one of the kids went and filled up everybody's water bottle with cooking salt.
Speaker 3: And put salt water in the water bottle, Like, that's not okay. Does your workplace have a bring your kids to work day?
Speaker 2: And how did it go?
Speaker 3: Did it go terribly like we would imagine, or was it a lot of fun. There'll be a Priceline pharmacy voucher in it for your story.
Speaker 2: The Christiest One show.
Speaker 1: We're about to be very unpopular, Jack, I think, and we are saying that having a whole day where everyone brings their kids to work sounds like fresh hell to me.
Speaker 2: I actually love it. When there's a couple of kids, it's like, oh, fresh blood.
Speaker 3: And I appreciate that because as a parent, if your kids sick and you're a single parent or dad's working, it's the only option and you've still got to come to work. Yeah, that I'm cool with.
Speaker 1: And if there's somebody that you love, like you know, in the in the sales team or whatever, and you suddenly see their kids unlike and who is it?
Speaker 2: I just get so excited.
Speaker 3: I'm happy to meet Jackie Bristow's son and see the connection between the two. I was thinking about it same, that's fine. It's when there's like eighty kids.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine how many kids would be here?
Speaker 3: I just couldn't ten. Does your workplace do it bring your kids to work day?
Speaker 2: Christine?
Speaker 4: No, I would never do it again. I took my son to work in an office and he actually.
Speaker 2: Trusted, Okay, tell us everything.
Speaker 1: Was it an organized day or you just couldn't find anywhere else to give put it?
Speaker 4: It was an organized day, but there was only a few little kids, and I was doing as though were toldly except minehed He trashed the whole office, was running in out of my manager's office. Actually left work early.
Speaker 2: How old was your kid at the time, two and a half.
Speaker 3: What did your other colleagues think, Christine? Was your manager married?
Speaker 4: I had no control.
Speaker 1: And Christine? Was he always like that?
Speaker 2: Or did he just really turn it on because he knew what it meant to you.
Speaker 4: He was just bored and he turned it on.
Speaker 2: Christine. How old is he now?
Speaker 4: Seventeen? And I still told him about it.
Speaker 3: Priced Pharmacy Voucher for you, Christine, I just like.
Speaker 2: It happened yesterday. It's Christine fram a High tam Hi.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 2: So your hobby's work does this? Yes?
Speaker 6: Okay, a year where you get to bring the kids in York for a big mining company.
Speaker 1: And is it organized, like is there stuff to do?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: Yes, it's fully organized.
Speaker 1: It's very sad and.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, there's virtual reality there.
Speaker 6: Do they get to look into the mines and things like that? Which is really cool?
Speaker 2: That is cool.
Speaker 3: So's cool. Yeah, hang on a.
Speaker 1: Minute, just before we give it, just before we give this the green the green light, tam Is everybody else at work on that same day?
Speaker 6: Yes, so it's a week day and they have to register their children and bring them in.
Speaker 2: All right, okay, we'll allow it. I'm changing my mind, that's.
Speaker 3: Saying that's really cool. Priceline Pharmacy Voucher for you, tam Hi Kelsey.
Speaker 7: Hello, Chrissy and Jack. I don't know if I want to talk to.
Speaker 3: You Why what have I said? What have I said today?
Speaker 7: I've literally got my two dogs sitting at my feet right now.
Speaker 2: What sort of dogs? Though?
Speaker 1: Because Jack earlier said that, you know, kids are not allowed at work, and either are dogs?
Speaker 2: Yuck?
Speaker 3: Joe crazy will hate you for saying that to us.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I understand because if the other people's dogs, I don't want them here either.
Speaker 8: But min are okay.
Speaker 3: See, this is the thing. It's when it's yours, it's okay. What kind of dogs do you have?
Speaker 7: They're rescue dogs, so we don't really know what's in them. One's a hunt away. No, they're beautiful, they're so well behaved, they're amazing. But I can't even have a wee break they follow me everywhere.
Speaker 2: And how many other people are in your office?
Speaker 7: Oh, there's a fair few of us. There's twenty twenty odds. But there is literally at least a dog in the office at least once a week.
Speaker 2: And do you think that they're there?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 2: I reckon?
Speaker 1: There is definitely someone in your office, and you will be a once you think about it, Chelsea, you'll know who they are. There will be someone that is like Jack that absolutely hates your dog being there, but it hasn't said anything.
Speaker 7: And that's the one that my dog went and poo in their office.
Speaker 1: Okay, the Christy Swan Show, The Chrissy Swan Show.
Speaker 2: I think I'm about to go to jail.
Speaker 3: Oh good.
Speaker 1: I feel like something a law has come in that I'm not going to be able to follow. And I'm talking, of course, of the right to disconnect laws.
Speaker 3: Well they've been in place since what August twenty six now, yes.
Speaker 2: And I've been a nervous wreck since.
Speaker 1: Yes, because you know, my greatest fear I'll go to jail, is it. I'll go to jail. That's my greatest fear. And in my dreams, I go to jail and the whole time I didn't know that I was doing something wrong. And I feel like this is going to send me to jail.
Speaker 3: I thought maybe you'd like jail because it'd kind of be a break for you.
Speaker 1: Oh look, yes, there is a part of that, but I'd rather hospital. Yes, but these disconnect laws are scary to me. If you're not across them, I mean, of course you are, but I'll give you a little, a little explanation. People now need to be able to have their own time away from work, right, it means that your boss it's against the law for them to text you out of hours, for them to call you out of hours, for them to expect you to respond to them if they send an email at seven pm. And I do that all the time. And the reason I do it is because I'm crazy and my brain never stops and I'm never not which is the nature of my I work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard for us in this industry.
Speaker 2: And then also.
Speaker 1: You're honor please, I plead innocent because of lockdowns and work from home and everything's so blurry and shady now, it's like ten years ago you went to your office and you worked and you had the same desk and then you went home. Now you don't even have the same desk. There's bloody hot desks. There's dogs in here, people, there's kids in here. Every Tuesday and second Thursday and any day with a unicorn in it. You're allowed to work from home, which I think is wonderful, but it's very confusing for someone like me. I don't know who's working and.
Speaker 2: When I know.
Speaker 3: But you're Christy Swan, You're good. No one's gonna get mad at you for texting and also we text each other at all times of the day. I mean, we're not each other's bosses, so it doesn't really matter. But it's fine because if you're busy, you just reply to each other the next day.
Speaker 2: It's bosses, it's colleagues.
Speaker 3: Is it colleagues?
Speaker 2: You and I?
Speaker 1: You and you could have reported me for the text messages that we were sending on Friday night at like, if not.
Speaker 3: I am strapped for cash, So to take you to the.
Speaker 2: Colleen, that's the thing. What to stop you from doing that?
Speaker 3: I mean the videos of me singing karaoke were illegal in themselves that I sent you, so I think you could also take oad of Yes, I.
Speaker 1: Do have evidence against you if it ever came to that, but do you know what I.
Speaker 3: Mean, It's tricky, Swanye and I Also there's an argument here for small and medium sized businesses who are already doing it tough that maybe need their employees to do something at five twenty or five fifteen, and they're getting responses from their employees saying, nah, I'm off the clock. Like there is they are off the clock.
Speaker 2: It's so gray.
Speaker 3: That also feels unreasonable, Like imagine if our boss Sarah if she tried to reach out to me at five point thirty and I said, you can't do that, now get back to me tomorrow. I would never.
Speaker 2: I would never.
Speaker 3: And also I've got like articles I need to send you in gossip about.
Speaker 2: I know, I mean it is not for us.
Speaker 3: Thirteen twenty four to ten. If these new laws, then new right to disconnect laws are affecting you, or if you're a boss that maybe has had employees sassue about texting amount of hours, like.
Speaker 1: As soon as you found out about them, did you go? That is going to be wayne.
Speaker 2: All over to the Chrissy s One show.
Speaker 1: We're talking about these right to disconnect laws. There's a new article about them. So they came in three weeks ago, these new laws where you do not have to respond to any messages you get that are work related when you're at home trying to disconnect. And they came in three weeks ago, and I've been a nervous wreck ever since. And there's new information today saying small to medium business owners are really confused about it.
Speaker 2: There's so much gray area. Everyone needs to be wary, and.
Speaker 3: There's some hefty fines that can be thrown out if you are a boss that does reach out to your employment.
Speaker 1: Passive signs like nineteen thousand dollars individually and nearly one hundred thousand dollars for a company.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's scary, man, Oh my god, So I'm terrible. En twenty four to ten, we're asking if these new disconnect rules and laws have affected you at your workst you, hey here, you going good?
Speaker 2: Are you a trade?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 9: That's the one.
Speaker 2: So how is this affecting you? Because you guys start early.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and Ram kickoff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Stu you run a team. How's it affecting you and your team?
Speaker 9: We do every Tuesday we do a toolbox talk and then it's online because they've got guys all over South Queensland, right yeah, so it's a little hard to try and get to twenty different types on the day, so it's out the day before they get back to me by lunchtime the following day. These guys we've been do a monthly where we catch up at the office for breakfast catch up run through and this particular one had to test and tags, so I had the electrical company turn up, so all the gear was test and tags. So every quarter everything's up to date. They all know the rules. I send a message in the afternoon and then oh, you can't contact me outside about what time?
Speaker 2: What time was that?
Speaker 9: Well, this will be for me. I'm on the road at four point thirty am and I'm on home early, but usually I'm on the phone till six seven at night dealing with clients or other.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And see, that's the thing. That's the thing.
Speaker 1: If that's what you've been doing every day and that's what you're still doing, it's really hard to recalibrate and put things off for another twelve hours until everybody's back on board.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I sign pharmacy voucher for us to you, especially in that industry when they're on the road, and then you've got to do your admin work in the VO.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then the problem arises in the AVO. You've got to get that information to somebody before they start.
Speaker 2: Or how does it work?
Speaker 3: Toolbox Tuesday? We should implement a segment here called toolbox Tuesday. I love that.
Speaker 2: What sort of tools would we be honey challo James?
Speaker 8: Helloay, now what.
Speaker 2: Is going on here? Are you going to jail with me?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 8: No, Well I'm just a factory worker. So I'm sort of like the bottom end of the scale. I'm the one that can send people to jail for saying that you contacted me. But the thing is, I work in a factory that runs twenty four to seven pretty much. We have morning day, we have like day, afternoon, and night shift, and often people don't come in on a shift, and so they'll need people to stay back or come in early. So often my supervisor will be contacting me like nine o'clock on a Sunday night saying are you able to come in early Monday morning because we're short staffed. Now, if I just go no, you can't contact me, I'm never going to get overtime again. So I think there needs to be some flexibility to it, because it can't just be a complete shut off, because yeah, in that industry, they need be able to contact this because they've got to keep the machines running and stuff, and if they can't ask people to come in exactly.
Speaker 1: Also, further to that, yes you want to answer that call because you get more hours, but I worry the other way. If you never answer that call, then your boss will start not calling you, and quite often that can be seen as a show of lack of dedication, And it's not true you're allowed to be at home at home, not working at nine pm on a Sunday.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, but people aren't wired like that.
Speaker 1: If I was calling you six times and you never answered, I would just call Tom and then I'd call Tom first next time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally. It changes how you operate. Yeah, you also with stuff like that, Like surely I know and I know not everyone has a boss with common sense. We're very lucky, but like everyone, I hope is now just having to have these conversations about like, hey, there's these new laws, how does it work for us? Some people suck? Let's go, Hey, how you going? Hi?
Speaker 2: Now, what has happened to your son's school?
Speaker 5: They had the audacity to tell me that I wasn't allowed to email out of hours, And I feel like it's a personal tax because I am guilty. And I did send an email to one of these class stess at three a m. This morning because I had to get that information out of my head or it would be lost forever.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you sound like me.
Speaker 5: I work crazy hours, I have crazy thoughts, I do crazy stuff, and but in my defense, I have always and I will continue to send that email with a message saying I don't expecially to respond right now. Everyone's crazy like me.
Speaker 2: However, the owner my god, I say the same things in my email.
Speaker 1: The problem that I have with your situation is that the school shouldn't tell you when you can send the email, because you can send it anytime. If you'd said please get back to me at seven am out of that, that's the problem. But you can send emails whenever you want. The school's got no right to tell you when you can send them. It's when you demand the answer absolutely.
Speaker 3: Primeline pharmacy voucher for you, for you, O enough.
Speaker 2: Chrissy Swan Show is a Nova podcast. For more great comedy shows like this, head to novapodcast dot com.
Speaker 1: Do you