Speaker 1: At the beginning of two thousand and one, I started writing in a diary and there were a lot of entries in there about Rochelle and our life and her life, and consequently it ended up being the worst year of my life. When I read this, I'm disconnected. You know I'm writing it, but I know I'm not feeling. My best friend in the.
Speaker 2: Whole world was murdered.
Speaker 1: My Shelle's life was taken by a means I still don't know. All I know is that her body was found in some scrub on the side of the road. Who would want to hurt Shell? This is the question I keep asking myself.
Speaker 3: I'm Ashley Handsome and you're listening to episode five of Deererschelle, a podcast by True Prime Australia. This is the untold story of Rochelle Childs. In two thousand and eight, an inquest would rule that Rochelle.
Speaker 2: Was the victim of a homicide, but the.
Speaker 3: Coroner fell short of identifying who was responsible. In other words, it was an open finding. In her early twenties, Rochelle's best friend Lisa started keeping a diary. She filled it with her most secret and private thoughts. Never would she have imagined those diary entries would end up in the hands of detectives investigating her best friend's murder.
Speaker 1: Rochelle had the biggest heart out of anyone I have ever known. Why would someone want to hurt her? I just can't believe it. I want them to be wrong. On the Wednesday, she was going to dinner at Shawn's house for his twenty first birthday.
Speaker 2: At the time, Sean was going out with Rochelle's little sister, Christi.
Speaker 1: Friday was going to maybe take Lee for a ride in some loud car. She was going to get from Kevin and maybe take Glenn to the airport.
Speaker 3: Remember Lee, he was the young guy from Beau Repairs who Rochelle was flirting with, and Glenn was a long term friend of Hertz. He was one of the last people to talk to her before she was murdered. Both innocent young men would end up persons of interest in Rochelle's murder purely through that recent contact. And Kevin, he was Rochelle's boss at the time at Camden Holden. By the way, you're about to hear a reference to the Catho. It's short for the Catholic Club, a nightclub in Campbelltown.
Speaker 1: That night we were going to go to the Catho with Fiona and dance upstairs. Saturday, we were going to go into the city to the ice House or something for Sean's twenty first On the Thursday, I remember her saying she was going out and drinking, because I remember thinking to myself, Oh shit, how is she going to pull off this weekend. I know she told me where she was going, and I'm pretty sure who is I just can't fucking remember.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it.
Speaker 1: The one thing, the one detail that matters, and I can't remember. I remember her mentioning something about the rebels and going to their clubhouse, which I thought was the Leppington one, but I'm not sure she said it was that one, and I told her off because it was unsafe and she had a weird tone like she didn't want to really tell me. She reassured me by saying she knew either him or them and that would be okay. I still felt uneasy about it, though, I'm going to see hypnotist this Friday. On the day I gave my statement, I said to the police that I know she told me and expressed my frustration at not remembering, and I told them to put me under hypnosis so I would remember, and weeks later they have finally decided to listen to me.
Speaker 4: I remember.
Speaker 1: Laying I get this months when I think about it, because I don't know, I feel like she was present with me in that moment. And I went out a hypnosis and they were getting me to take the role of Rachelle. And I remember straight away, you know, my posture went from this to you know, slumping. I remember doing this like I've never smoke a cigarette in my life, right, and I just started being Rachelle and my voice changed. I started talking like her. I remember swearing a lot. I remember saying a a lot and fuck yeah a lot, and having a drag on my fake cigarette, and I remember giggling at myself, you know, thinking oh my god, I Rachelle, but not being able to control it. And then I don't really remember a lot of what I actually said. But I don't think they got a lot of gold, you know, out of it, sadly, but yeah, it was an interesting thing to go through. And really, when I look back at that experience, that was the extent like I would do continue to do anything to help you tell me what I need to you know, remember or say or dig up or find or you know. I was just so keen to find an answer to this for everyone involved.
Speaker 3: Hypnosis might sound like a fairly unorthodox method, but it's not as unusual as you'd think. Regardless, by this point, police were desperate to uncover new leads anyway they could. In the last episode, Either Davies, the lead investigator on Rochelle's murder, recall witnessing a heated interaction between a father and son in a police car park. The son, Bruce, was Rochelle's neighbor in Bargo. Bruce and his dad had just been questioned over their movements on the seventh of June two thousand and one, the night Rochelle died. Damien Lune has a few thoughts on Bruce's alibi.
Speaker 5: He had an alibi on the evening that night of working with his father and another man on a car that was to be shown that weekend at Tare and it appears that some discrepancy in relation to who was there and for how long, and that alibi was investigated by a police exter what they said and a number of statements were taken and this is in the early days, but also in the reinvestigation of it. He certainly was someone of interest, I would say, And the fact that he moved very quickly away from the area with his wife up to North Queensland after Rochelle's death was somewhat suspicious. But his wife had moved up there prior to him, so he went to join her and the kids. So when he put it in that context, it's probably not such a big deal. But he has removed himself from the area from her as a neighbor. It's that he had a thing for her, but nothing sexual, just to hug and a kiss here and there, and I think he was hoping for more, but I think she told him straightaway that nothing else is going to happen.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's suspicious that his Jerry Can was found in the boot of her car, given that Rachelle's body was set on fire.
Speaker 5: Look, you could say yes and you could say no in this scenario, but I think the investigations clearly worked out that Rochelle was prone to breaking down running out of petrol because she'd only put minimum amounts of fuel in her car. She didn't have a lot of money, so she's borrowed of spare jerry can from him at some stage to keep petrol in it in case she did run out, And you could say that was you know, if you'll be stupid enough to leave that jerry can in the boot of that vehicle, it come back to buite you very quickly. So I think honestly it was a genuine act of kindness that he's borrowed at given her a fuel can. And he says that he doesn't deny, and we know that she was praying to running out of fuel, and.
Speaker 2: It's just unfortunate that the jerry can was found in the boot of the car.
Speaker 5: Yes, and her body had been said alight by an accelerant. So you know, we're looking pretty pretty good here for a bit. It was investigated. I think that it was a satisfactory explanation as to why it was in there.
Speaker 3: Reviewing the facts today, Damien doesn't think Bruce was involved in Rochelle's murder. Something we keep coming back to, though, is the Bargo Hotel. To get our heads around the case, Damian and I went for a visit to the old pub. Who was Rochelle supposedly meeting here on that Thursday night, and how did her car get here?
Speaker 5: So she drove it up?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: Its first I'd say and say.
Speaker 2: How do we know that she even drove it here?
Speaker 5: Well, that's right, do we know that? We don't? Don't know that?
Speaker 3: How common was in two thousand and one for pubs and clubs and businesses to have CCTV.
Speaker 5: Oh they had, ah, I note because I was doing a brief on a serious assault at dy Hotel back in nineteen ninety seven and they had CCTV footage out in front of the premises.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately in the Bargo Hotel didn't have one.
Speaker 5: Not at the back. They have it now they had one up there.
Speaker 6: An how it's looking right at us?
Speaker 3: Let's look into the evidence gathered from the Bargo Hotel. In the early days of the investigation, Thursday was topless waitress night, so the punters were predominantly men, and even though Rochelle lived nearby, it wasn't somewhere where she was known to go. These days, Hotel Bargo as it's now called, has been renovated and it's a popular family friendly pub. But in early two thousand and one it was a common drinking hole for the local rebels, and it had a bit of a rough reputation. Early in the search for Rochelle, her family was told she was going to meet someone at the Bargo Hotel. There's some conflicting evidence about whether anyone saw Rochelle there. Bartender Joy Eastman remember seeing a blonde twenty three year old who showed her id early in the night. Police looked into that, but it was later revealed another blonde woman of the same age with a similar appearance was in the bar that night. The pub manager at the time, Colin Picton, is adamant though she was never there. We know Rochelle's distinctive blue Commodore was discovered in the pub's back car park on the Saturday, But when it was placed there and by who could unlock the mystery. Rochelle's friends and family we recall racing to the hotel when they heard her car had been found.
Speaker 6: We got into the car and I remember sitting in the car and going, there's something wrong.
Speaker 7: But the car seat didn't look like the way Rochelle would sit.
Speaker 6: The club block was on upside down.
Speaker 7: She would sick like hanging back with the sword, a cruisy arm, and you know she.
Speaker 6: Had a specific way that she used to put the club block on, and she had.
Speaker 7: One of those old hooks that you pull the arm out, and.
Speaker 6: The seat was really far back, which she did used to have her seat really far back, but it was really far back.
Speaker 7: From a memory, that all just looks funny. It just didn't look like she'd driven.
Speaker 6: And I remember looking at the car going, there's something seriously wrong here. And she didn't park this year's years.
Speaker 3: So who did park it there? And what secrets could her? Beloved nineteen seventy eight, holand Commodore vb off her up. That car has been in Christie's farm shed for a long time now, but six years after Rochelle's murder it was still in the hands of police. They called in photogrammatory expert Professor John Fryer to recreate the positioning of the driver's seat. Their goal was to establish the height of the person who last sat behind the wheel.
Speaker 8: I came into this six years after the event. That's typical of most of the jobs I did. Most of the jobs had gone cold, and after they got cold for a few years, the police seemed to leave it, and then they get a new team to investigate it, and then that new team says, what else can we find? And then they often came to me to look at some video evidence, you know, photographs or whatever to try and dig something else out.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to the twenty ninth of May two thousand and seven at Marulan, a town in the southern Highlands of New South Wales. You were asked by police to prepare a report and inspect a vehicle at Marulan that was connected to a police investigation. Can you tell me about that day?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I remember the day quite clearly because I had had to get up very early to drive to Marulin and I got there early about nine o'clock and there was a large holding yard in basically the countryside behind the police station, and it's full of vehicles of various types. The one I was shown was a I think it's a holden. That particular vehicle had obviously been forensically examined. The linings were off the inside of the doors, the steering wheel was not there, and I was asked, given these original photographs from the original police photographer, could I recreate the seats back into the position they were originally And then when the seats were back in the position they were originally, could I make measurements as to how far from the seat to the accelerator pedal or to the brake or to where the steering wheel was.
Speaker 2: So you measured the distance from the bottom of the seat.
Speaker 8: Yeah, from the front of the bottom of the seat to the accelerator and the brake pedal, and they were about five hundred millimeters. And I also measured the distance from the head rest and the back of the seat to where the steering wheel would have been. As I say, the steering wheel was gone, but the nut that held it on and the steering column was still there, so I could make that measurement. What the police did with this information, I don't know, but I presume they tried those distances out on that vehicle with different sized people to see whether it was a tall person who drove it or a short person or a medium one. And they've submitted my report. I never heard back.
Speaker 3: You were never told who owned the car, and the circumstances really about who the victim was at the heart of this investigation.
Speaker 8: Until you rang me up and said the lady's name that was involved in this, I had never heard that name. All I knew was as motor car, and here's some protos of it. Put the seats back as they were and make some measurements for us.
Speaker 3: Would you like to see the owner and the victim at the heart of this story? Oh yeah, this is her, Rachelle Child's twenty three.
Speaker 8: Wow, she looks like a film person, Bette Midler or somebody.
Speaker 2: Did she miss Stuning?
Speaker 3: Wasn't she?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Who saw Rochelle's car? Where and when on the night in question has been a point of contention. From the beginning, memories fade, and when you're talking to pub patrons days or even weeks after the event, things can be a bit blarry. We're taking you through the suspicious sightings of a car similar to Rochelle's aunt Jiroa, where her burning body was found, but there were also reports suggesting her blue Comool was parked at the Bargo Hotel as early as six point thirty and as late as ten thirty on the Thursday night. If both sets of witnesses saw the same Comodol, someone's memory is incorrect, or maybe their recollection of which night they saw the current the pub is out. We know the pub closed at midnight.
Speaker 4: Chris Sillings were from a former New South Wales Police Force detective sergeant. I was trained by the FBI in criminal profiling. I was the New South Wales Police criminal profiler for about ten years and I worked on the Rishell Child's case in two thousand and three. I was brought in by Detective Inspector Mick Ashwood from Homicide in July two thousand and three, so two years after the murder, and my job was just to come in, look at the scene, look at the material that Nick provided to me, photos, autopsy report, and do what you do as a profilo, look at the behavior, what happened.
Speaker 9: Why did it happen that way? Who would need to do those.
Speaker 4: Things for those reasons? Because people, often police included, will jump to straight to well who've done it? This happened, Well who done it? They missed two crucial steps, which is what happened and why did it happen? And those two things will tell you about the person who did it. You can't just go straight to who did it.
Speaker 3: Chris's report has never been shared with Rochelle's family or the public until now. We met for the first time at seven Mile Beach Droa and she took me through her recollection of what she believes happened to Rochelle in precise detail after she was murdered.
Speaker 4: She's been dragged down here, straight down towards here and by the ankles, by the two feet to Yella, dragging that way. And at this point the offenders looks to into a sapling because there's a snap sapling just where her feet are, so it's almost like he's gone up like that. And the debris that's around here, because this grass wasn't here so much, she was more just plant material like leaf material is kicked up onto like her shoes. Lying on the left side in a fetal position, so she's naked from the waist down, so her buttocks and her upper legs from the rear exposed, and some debris been kicked onto this area, onto a buttocks area, which I think is just from where he's slipped and fallen on the slope in the dark and go well like that and kicked some debris onto her. I don't think that was intentional. And after that, there's a few steps after that, so there's some fire debris on the higher side, and it makes me wonder if he started the fire on the higher side, and there's sort of a drag across the top of the tank through that material that's on top this natural material, and the fire's actually lit here, but possibly had to go there too, and there's some accelerant on the tank itself, so it's like a bit of a paw. But the other option is that it was started there. It's bore downhill, so the material, the excellant runs downhill onto the tank. I think that's what happened, and he's got a excellance run off the body, so I'll pull the body down here, slip over and her position Christ has been dragged in by the feet. She ends up sort of about here, face down, left side down, left feetle side down, face close to the tank because the tank's protruding about that much, and feet back here, lying back here, and the two ankles are together so like like this, and there's just a faint discoloration around the ankles or the feet which supports them being held by the ankles. So he found once he's found the location, dragged it down here, probably had to go at one point with the fire, moved her around to here, slipped had another go with the fire, and that's the final position. But before doing that, the person has had to go at opening up this tank with the concrete lid, which is you know about that thick, so it's really heavy, very thick. So it didn't work. The plant open the tank didn't work, and as we know now, even if he had gotten it open, there wasn't enough for him to put her in there anyway.
Speaker 3: To view an extended video of Chris's insights as she follows the killers trucks disposing of Rochelle's body and belongings, visit Dear Rochelle dot com dot au. Some of the funks are confronting, but we think this level of detail is paramount and could go a long way to exposing who was responsible for Rochelle's suspected rape and murder.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of places between here and Bargo that would be better, So why not pull over in one of those better places. It's less time and effort, there's less risk because you're getting rid of the body quicker. There's two ways to look at one that he knew this was here, But why come all this way like one hundred odd k's for an hour or more.
Speaker 9: To this?
Speaker 4: I only to create a fire, which is close to the road and it gets found very quickly as it happens, and it's even though it's late, it's a kind of a well used road, so it's not smart. You do all this, which suggests organization, planning, thinking, and then you drive away stals a property. Why not leave the property here?
Speaker 3: Rochelle's belongings, including her handbag, shoes, and a bed sheet which was stored in Rochelle's boot, were found scattered in different places a fair distance apart. As Chris suggests, it's very telling of the offender's state of mind at the time.
Speaker 2: Chris takes us on the same trail.
Speaker 4: We're on Beach Road, about a kilometer from where you turn off to head towards Berry, probably about two kilometers in total from the body deposition side, and there's a little intersection here next to a private property. There's a farmer's property on the other side of the road, and this is where the sheet was found. It was a commercial grade white flat sheet and had some soiled from the ground on It's so the offender would have pulled over here. We can actually pull off the road, not put it on that side, because it is the private property. We've put on that side, there's few trees in the hope that no one will see it. But it was actually found fairly quickly, so it's not an intelligent site. To put it again, it reflects haste and inexperience of how to deal with getting rid of physical evidence like this is a pretty hasty, sloppy way to do it.
Speaker 2: We've just arrived at the Tarmill Inn, which is at Tarmore. And why is this location a piece of the puzzle.
Speaker 4: Well, this is one of the crime sites. This is where a pair of shoes were found that were determined to be Rachelle's shoes, along with some rubbish. There was a worker brownsman who found these shoes on the morning of Friday, the eighth of June, so that is the morning of Rochelle's body being burnt. Now he thinks he saw a vehicle here, but it was pretty dark and in the morning he saw these shoes and this rubbish. He went over there and had a look, but he didn't do much about it. And then a few days later the boss of the place said, oh, you better go and clean up that rubbish. So that's when the shoes were actually found and recovered. But the police weren't notified for I think it was about another month or so. I mean behaviorally, it says that the items of clothing and the sheet were disposed of on the way back to the safe place. We're at Tarmwors. That's like an hour and ten north of the body side.
Speaker 2: Could the killer live in that direction?
Speaker 6: Yes? And what direction is that?
Speaker 4: That's north heading towards Picton and Camden.
Speaker 2: How far are we from the last location?
Speaker 4: Roughly four kilometers north of where the shoes were found. So we're out where the handbag was found with her credit cards in her purse inside the handbag and also her knocking and mobile phone. And you can see there's a fence just here, but there's another fence just behind, so it's the fence behind. The handbag's been thrown up there towards the fence behind. So probably twenty fifteen twenty minutes from where we are. It's not to say the offender didn't run to this fence and throw it over, but it landed on the road side of the fire fence. And when the when the farmer came along and slashed that paddock he found he just happened to see the handbag on the other side of the fence, so again you can see the haste that's involved, and this is a pretty poor choice as well.
Speaker 2: Was the face plate of the CD player belonging to Rachelle found in that handbag?
Speaker 4: I believe it was, yes.
Speaker 3: And do you know anything about the missing stereo that was connected to that face.
Speaker 4: I think it's probably been stolen while the car has been parked there for several days and nights.
Speaker 3: After we finished recording at those key locations linked to the killer's movements, I wanted to ask Chris why she agreed to be involved in our investigation over twenty years later.
Speaker 4: You know, there are cases that you don't forget. This is one of them. A lot of work did go into this investigation. I was called in by Detective Inspector Mick Ashwood from Homicide Mixer, an excellent investigator, very far thinks laterally.
Speaker 9: He's very aware of.
Speaker 4: Tunnel vision as well, which you've got to be careful of. So yeah, I came on board when Mick asked. We've worked on other cases together and I did what I could to help Rachelle, and as I do for all cases, I work on to help the victim and their families and friends. And so when this opportunity came up, I thought, well, yeah, helps. Basically, if it helps, I would be pleased to help.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to Mick Ashwood.
Speaker 9: What was identified in the initial investigation was a sheet found about a kilometer from the scene. Now, when we looked at some of these exhibits like that some of the islands of the car, some processing took place, which is called trying to recover DNA, some swabbing occurred. Now that lead I think probably six months or a year into it the second investigation that there was a common DNA on a number of items, critically the bedsheet and some items in the car. The significance was that it was the same DNA.
Speaker 3: After processing the crime scene exhibits, police has discovered an unknown male DNA profile and they were desperate to identify the man it belonged to.
Speaker 4: There's no strong leads police in an Australian first sixty men to volunteer DNA samples.
Speaker 8: The testing is not compulsory, but probably say they can still rely on conventional methods of investigation.
Speaker 9: And then following this, you know it'll be luck.
Speaker 2: Now's the time to come forward because we're going to come.
Speaker 5: Looking for you.
Speaker 3: Detectives were asking anyone who could have crossed paths with Rochelle to volunteer their DNA.
Speaker 9: In consultation, we decided to do a mass screening DNA operation in the town of Camden. The whole idea of that is you use the energy of a mass screening DNA operation and they're quite successful our media strategy and we get samples from everyone. Now, in this particular case of a country was a week, a few days. We end up getting DNA samples from everyone that was person of interest in the case how long motorcycle group so that was six.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was massive and everyone was really supportive, couldn't help enough. They were quite happy to volunteer DNA. And it wasn't DNA that was going to be kept on file. It was only going to be used in Rochelle's case. Yeah, and it was huge and everyone in the community gave DNA.
Speaker 3: The size of that response shocked police, especially when a bunch of bikeis turned up, including sash.
Speaker 9: So we're standing in this balcony at I think it was Camden Police Station talking to the Sergeant Arms and the president of the chapter, and they changed from the old style bikis. This was well before what you have now. Back then there was no real shootings and stuff. They kept to themselves, but these are the new group. They had their long sleep sweaters which had their name down the side, the name of their club, their OMCG club, and they had bit of jewelry. So it was that start of the new generation of bikes. So we did a bit of work and talking to them, saying, well, come and give you a sample. Can we get your whole chapter in? Give some sample. It's got nothing to hide, and that way you know we won't be on your case. We can eliminate you.
Speaker 2: Did it surprise you when the Rebels bike is turned up?
Speaker 9: It did, But it also reaffirmed my thought that this is a red hair in place by someone because it takes a lot of hypothesis. The steps into an argument as to why Rachelle was associating with When it was put forward by one person.
Speaker 6: Heaven told Dad that Rochelle wanted to leave early on the Thursday to go to the Bargo Pub to meet someone at six pm. And if you trace it all back, Kevin's the only one that said that she was going to Bargo Pub and I think other people who have said it it was after.
Speaker 3: Police were close and the net was tightening on one man, Rochelle's boss, Kevin Correll. He was in the frame very early on because of his strange behavior in the days before and after Rochelle went missing.
Speaker 6: Kevin and Rachelle were quite close. He was like a father figure to her. She looked up to him. Unfortunately, so I called him and said she's missing, and I was beside myself and I remember getting off the phone and saying to Fiona, that was so weird. He's not concerned at all. Couldn't get off the phone quick enough.
Speaker 2: When she was missing.
Speaker 3: Did you talk to Kevin, given he was your colleague at Camden Holden, did you call him and do you remember that conversation with him at the time? Yep.
Speaker 7: And he was very aloof, very alooft, just very didn't even want to help, didn't want to didn't ask questions anything.
Speaker 6: He wasn't batility, helpful.
Speaker 2: He seemed concerned that something was missing there, he.
Speaker 7: Just did not care. And that is weird coming from someone who seemed so concerned about every other aspect of her life.
Speaker 5: He paints his picture at work as a loving coworker who deeply cares for Rochelle and her employment, etc. And then suddenly she goes missing, and well, so what and nothing's happened. He hasn't lefted, he doesn't have help, so she doesn't do anything, doesn't make any telephone cause he doesn't certainly assist a child's family of anything, and that's noted by them as well.
Speaker 6: I expected him to cancel all his plans and be there in ten minutes as fast as he possibly could while he was bringing everybody. He knew that was the because he had told Rachelle that he used to be a detective, which was bullshit looking back.
Speaker 10: When he came to work on that Friday morning, he was late, and he looked like shit. He looked really crappy, really like he hadn't slapped. And he left early on that Friday afternoon and saying he had a doctor's appointment too, but yeah, didn't want to help, didn't wasn't concerned. And I'm like this, You're.
Speaker 7: Concerned all the time, You're always you know, why are you not now she's missing? Like, why are you not concerned? Something? Something's not right there, doesn't sit well with me at all.
Speaker 5: And he's a suspect. By the way, it's carell there's no doubt about her. He's a red hot suspect. And here he is suddenly he doesn't want to get involved. Why what's a change in his personality? A change in his behavior? Is it something because something's bad happened and he knows about it and knows it's futile to go look for somebody that you already know is deceased. You don't want to get involved. You don't want to be there, you don't want to be seen. Some people prior to say a serious incident and that something's bad and you're you're involved, you know you're the offender. Something's bad happened. Well, then go into a state of withdrawal. They will go into hibernation that they won't speak to people. They're not the usual joy of yourself. Their habits become very obvious, and that night he's by himself, and following her disappearance, he's not really concerned about where she is.
Speaker 3: As those closest to Rochelle mourned her sudden loss, Kevin's unusual behavior didn't go unnoticed.
Speaker 2: Does any one particular person stand out to you at the funeral.
Speaker 1: Can you talk me through it, Kevin. I've just always felt incredibly uneasy about him.
Speaker 6: I doost.
Speaker 1: I remember staring at him the court case and he wouldn't make eye contact with me. I remember staring at him at the funeral and he wouldn't look at me. I remember the distance he had from everybody else at the funeral. He just made me feel uncomfortable. I something just didn't sit right with him.
Speaker 3: So tell me about the days that followed Rochelle's death. What happened next?
Speaker 11: Memory pretty somber environment at the shop. I held a regular meeting of managers at the shop, which would normally have included Kevin. I think it was the first meeting after the funeral. Kevin was quite upset, and I just said, look, leave the meeting just you're obviously not able to participate in the frame of mind you are, so just just when you go home or go back to your.
Speaker 2: Office, so just just leave, Kevin.
Speaker 3: Stephen Carrell strenuously denies any involvement in Rochelle's death. He has willingly participated in three records of interview with police. He voluntarily provided a DNA sample for comparison to material held by police investigators, and that could be an indication that he has nothing to hide. Kevin provided a detailed alibi. He says on the night Rochelle was killed, he left work, went shopping at Campbelltown, visited his girlfriend's house at Picton although she wasn't home, grabbed takeaway in Tarmil and recalled exactly what he ordered, being a fish cake, battered save a bagg of chips and a coke, and then went home and watched some Dawson's Creek on TV. He says he then went to a nearby servo to buy milk, and then he went to the pub, and then he came home where he eyned a shirt and watched some Big Brother on TV before falling asleep. No one can verify his alibi. We'll go deeper into Kevin's alibi soon, but let's talk about his family. Kevin's brother, Raymond Barry Cornwall, is a serial sex offender jail for raping multiple victims, including girls as young as thirteen.
Speaker 9: The sense of fear he created as a woman, you wouldn't leave the house, you wouldn't run in the parks. That's the fear that he had. He was very active, very fearful. He was one of the most active bad rapists in Sydney in a period probably you cover twenty to thirty years. Not saying that's the range of his offending. There's been others Northhollist, Sinclair rapists. He was clearly in that level. It's the offender that type. They're all bad, but this one that they need the constant gratification from instilling fear and wanting power over women. They get off on it, and they are sadistic people, you know, And he would be up there with some of the worst in the last last thirty forty years.
Speaker 3: Of course, Kevin is not responsible for his brother Raymond's crimes. Just because one brother is a certain way doesn't mean another is too. But it is an interesting fact. So many people have suffered at the hands of Raymond. Barry Cornwall, who's now a freeman. Court documents reveal his brother Kevin, visited him after his arrest at Bankstown Police Station in Sydney in nineteen ninety three. Cornwall confessed his disturbing crimes to his brother Kevin, who relayed the information to police. Raymond would serve fourteen years for those crimes, and when he was released, it wasn't long before he was offending again. The convicted pedophile is closely monitored by authorities to this day. The brothers no longer share the same surname. If something prompted Kevin to change his name, and by the time he ran the used cast sales department at Camden Holden in two thousand and one, he was Kevin Correll. Under his previous name Kevin Stephen Cornwall, he was accused of a series of.
Speaker 2: Violent sex attacks in the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 3: However, Kevin denied the alleged conduct and was acquitted of all charges. And now forty years later, some of those alleged victims are telling their story. For Rochelle, it's not in dispute that the women you're about to hear from were assaulted. The he they all refer to is whoever committed these terrifying crimes. True Crime Australia is not saying Kevin is guilty of these crimes. We are only pointing out that there are reasonable grounds to suspect Kevin committed these crimes, and that's part of the reason he is a prime suspect in the suspected rape and murder of Rochelle. True Crime Australia is saying that there are reasonable grounds to think Kevin Carrell was involved in Rochelle's murder, not necessarily that he is guilty.
Speaker 2: On the next episode of Dear Rochelle.
Speaker 3: So the knock at the door, I opened it and it was banned instant valaclava.
Speaker 6: The knife was held up here. He pushed me back. I was walking down the hall to sh reshow him the loundrim and.
Speaker 7: That he pulled a knife on me.
Speaker 2: He just came straight at me and it was just closed hard fist. Proceeded to tell.
Speaker 6: Me that if I didn't do what he said, he would kill my kids.
Speaker 2: And I just went down.
Speaker 4: It was like.
Speaker 6: I just went smacked down on the bed.
Speaker 5: I did what he said.
Speaker 6: Any rape me, I remember thinking, holy shit, I'm gonna die.
Speaker 3: De Rochelle is a multimedia production from True Crime Australia. If you want to be the first to find out what happens next, go to deroshell dot com dot au. That's where News Corp Australia subscribe its get early access to podcast episodes and breaking news in our live investigation before anybody else, and you'll also find exclusive videos, interactive evidence, feature articles, and more. That's deroshell dot com dot a U, d E A R R A C h E W l E dot com dot a U. If you have any tips or confidential information to share with me, Ashley Hanson, please send an email to Deroshelle atnews dot com dot au. Our supervising producer and audio editor is Rhys Gunter Rachel Fountain, his executive producer and audio director. Our executive editor is Sarah Blake. Our senior journalist is Patrick carl Video editors are Gillian McNally, Owen Yang and Stephen Woods. Picture editors are Jeff Darmannan and Christy Miller Sydy. Camera operators are Daniel Andrews and Oscar Viera, with sound designed by Martin Perolta. Thanks also to Greg Thompson and Lennie Pineries Show Burreo Fayguld, Vanessa Grahb Hailey Goddard, Stephen Grice, Charlotte Carp, Tina Coggins and Harry Hughes. Special thanks to the Daily Telegraph editor Ben English and dear Rochelle. Would not be possible without the help and O'm waivering support of Christy and Anne Childs, Mindy Wicks, Damian Loon and Rachelle's Friends. This podcast series is hosted and investigated by me Ashley Hanson