Speaker 1: Welcome to the Data Telegraph NURL podcast. I'm Michael carry On and David Rique Brett read how are you boys ready?
Speaker 2: Almost finals time? A?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Spring is is that septem spring springs in the air. That's right. It's been nice and warm.
Speaker 4: It's been beautiful. Cut the swims manly God's country.
Speaker 1: I wasn't doing sideline at Penrith the other day and it was hot. There were moths shorts on the sideline.
Speaker 2: No, no, maybe have you been wearing shoes?
Speaker 1: Do you wear shorts in the side or maybe like round if it's like thirty five degrees in round one?
Speaker 4: Maybe I've never done it. I almost did it last Sunday.
Speaker 2: Yeah I didn't. I didn't. Seasons the game's not ready for that read. But we're in the business end of the season. You can't.
Speaker 4: You got a classic?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, yeah you can't classic.
Speaker 1: You can't do it now pre season you can. But it felt like had pre season vibe last week because I was flying around.
Speaker 2: It was hot.
Speaker 4: I was listening on the radio the more talking about moss. Everyone there was like, what do they call it a moss? And I found that hard to believe. I think you might have embellished for radio.
Speaker 2: You ain't there.
Speaker 4: I couldn't be that. It didn't make the news, didn't make the news, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're very generous. You are very generous.
Speaker 1: What do well, Well, let's start on one of the issues of trop mitchell A. Ready have been all across this.
Speaker 3: Look, it might change by the time we're off air, so we just give us a state of play until we're at Now.
Speaker 4: It's been quite saga, hasn't it dragged on? It's been pretty bad for everyone. Really, I don't think anyone's come out of it looking smelling like road.
Speaker 2: Sorry, really when did this? When did the photo first appear?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: How many weeks now?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 2: It was are we coming up a month?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think we are. Actually, I think it's coming up to a months. Well, I mean obviously that that to conduct the investigation. Then they're giving the breed. She's got five days to respond to the bridge and obviously now the issue is whether he serves the suspension this weekend or next or next year. And obviously the neral put some requirements to Sous to prove that he was fitting and available for selection. Sous believed they did that the NRL was saying, no, we want some more evidence, and that's where we are at the moment.
Speaker 1: I think, I don't want to speak on behalf of you guys, but I am of the belief that he should serve the band next year.
Speaker 2: Right, But no, but go on. But now the fact the NER put these.
Speaker 1: Parameters in place where all they have to do is prove that he's fit enough to play, well, that's what Souths are doing.
Speaker 2: So now the band should be served this year. Yeah, right.
Speaker 1: I think originally I would have been quite comfortable if the NRL came out originally said no, he's got to serve. He's going to miss a game one next year, right, and that was the band and that was it, right, And if Souths wanted to ARGI Bardi, I would have sided with the NRL. The fact that they've said no, it's the next game that he's fit and available for. Well, Souths has got three doctors to say that he can play external one obviously the club doctor, but they're all independent because they're doctors, and one was his operating surgeon. But what it has done there was already a simmerin war between South Sydney and the NRL this has just ignited it. It's going to go it's going to go nuclear beyond repair.
Speaker 2: Dave. What's your thoughts on it all?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, Look, I'm with you, Mick, and I believe that I think we don't have to go back two weeks ago from Ben Hornby's comments how he spoke about the fact that he won't be fit, he seasons effectively over and that you can't deny that that's muddy the waters too. Those comments muddy the waters. Now, I'm not playing I'm not a portioning blame on Benny or anything like that. But the fact that the head coach declared he was gone for the season and then suddenly he falls foul, he falls foul and has to prove that he's fit, but he's already commented that he won't be fit. I just think it's completely convoluted, and I'm with you, Mick.
Speaker 4: I think he.
Speaker 2: Should just serve it next year. Case closed. However, the fact that the NRL they just kicked the door open a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't blame Souse for doing it, be cool and blame Souths either, but I think Souths could have been I think Souths could have taken the just you know, a more senior position on it, on the on the decision and said, look, take all the air out of the balloon, the trails missing the first round next year.
Speaker 2: Done, case closed. As I said, it's been dragging on a month.
Speaker 4: My issue is that both Souse and the players Union believe that the band should be served regardless of injury. It should be served straight away, right and you can dispute that and argue about that. But you know now the aneral want to look at his training loads. We hasn't been training because he thought he could serve the band, and Ben he was out for the year because they thought he could serve the band. If the ender all had said to them at the start, you need to prove his fitness for him to be able to play. Three weeks ago, he would have done three weeks with the training load and but but he hasn't because he didn't think he had to. He'd have to prove his fitness to be able to.
Speaker 3: Serve the and with that it always comments were prior to this misdemeanor. It was it was before the sanction, I think it had been handed down, but it was after. I think though if Souths were in a position whether playing finals footy or had to win to play finals foota La trol plays this weekend. Because of Ready's point, they would have managed him differently with an eye of coming back with one game left or two games where their season were out.
Speaker 4: They weren't going to another issue. Your definition of being fit and available for selection, Well, he could probably play ten minutes off the bench that is fit and available.
Speaker 2: For selection, is it not. It's a mess. It's a mess, but it's if you.
Speaker 4: Look at the breach nunders. The breach Nader says, when the doctor says he's fitting, the vle the doctor said he has fitting available for selection. So you're saying, we don't believe your doctor.
Speaker 3: The concern is is now the bar that's been set for every other club and the mess we're going to be in every every other time a similar misdemeanor arises and a similar situation will arise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they should have just given him two games.
Speaker 4: But I mean again, that would have been inconsistent because.
Speaker 2: If you know, they could have taken into got one some of the other things.
Speaker 3: That you know those guys are those should just bring back match payments and then therefore you'd have to, you'd have to play to earn his money, and he'd be playing.
Speaker 4: You're right, I mean there is this, there's been this, this underlying tension hasn't even been underlying. There's been this tension between.
Speaker 2: Really gone hasn't definitely what's going to happen? But what what are you suggesting? Well, seriously, what's a what's a club and an ar going? What can happen?
Speaker 1: To just agitate and royal paint in each other's backsides for on every issue.
Speaker 4: Publicly scathing about it.
Speaker 1: And it hasn't like this is probably it's been behind closed doors. We've we've all been aware of it, and there's been little issues here or there.
Speaker 2: But now it's going to be public.
Speaker 3: I'd say, I think the governing body is going to come out swinging against one of the club.
Speaker 4: That's all right, yeah, and the other is sure. I have is people saying, look, La Troll has got off easy if he serves the band, uh, you know straight away. I mean you've got to remember he's also been fining forty thousand dollars. Now, I know he's on a million dollars a year, but forty grand is a lot of money. It's a big fine in the modern.
Speaker 2: I do think he's got off easy from playing perspective in.
Speaker 4: Terms of the band of well coursecouts right, no doubt. But apparently according to the players, you know, they are the rule, no, yeah, and that parameters the will put around them. So that's not Sound's fault.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think we're definitely in a grand set. I think well, I think well, I think we both feel that originally, if the anner will handed down the punishments that he needs to serve Game one next year, I think we would have been No, we.
Speaker 3: Would have been one hundred percent. And if you wouldn't have no, okay, all right, well I would have been okay. Anyway, moving on.
Speaker 2: Let's move on.
Speaker 1: So we've got the Battle of the Spoon Bowl this weekend and it's obviously generated lots of hype. Cameratown sold out, which is great. The players are buying into it a little bit, the fans are definitely buying into it. Let's get a tip, boys, who finishes with the wooden spin?
Speaker 2: So who's going to lose the West Tigers power?
Speaker 4: For me, I'm going Benji with trust.
Speaker 3: I think the Eels will win as well. Okay, So I think Tigers walk away with a mother Wooden spirits.
Speaker 4: At three in a row if they get.
Speaker 2: Three in our Newcastle had it did a couple of years ago.
Speaker 4: There's been some green shoots for the Tigers this year. I think some good young kids have come through.
Speaker 1: It's a better like it's it's they're better placed this year than they were last year, in the year before next year.
Speaker 2: The emergence of the young players.
Speaker 4: You know, they might know Hawes prew soon.
Speaker 2: This was a terrific win against Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, both year olds in the spine taking down Brooks, Cherry Evans and Triboy which was a terrific win.
Speaker 2: They've got to find that again. Obviously I said it before. Guys.
Speaker 3: I reckon, I reckon this West Tigers supporter base are the most law supporter base in Australian sport.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's a Thursday night at art Oval always a tough sell Thursday night footy, no matter who you are and what you're doing.
Speaker 2: But that was packed, jam packed. Now we here have the Spoon Bowl sold out.
Speaker 3: If the West Tigers administration and club and football team can somehow get it right, which I still think is debatable, they are they will be huge, and it will be similar soon as to the Bulldogs of what we're seeing down the streets of Belmore.
Speaker 2: If the Tigers can.
Speaker 3: Somehow climb the ladder and get into that top eight next year, like it will go off.
Speaker 2: They're already going off.
Speaker 1: It's remarkable, isn't it. This weekend you've got spoon Bowl, You've got a top eight. I don't think we'll ever see that again on the one weekend where you've got the four sided plane and one we'll finish eighth, one, we'll finish, one, will finish sixteenth, one we'll finish seventeenth the same weekend.
Speaker 4: And it's funny. It's a really significant game, I reckon for the Tigers. This game. It doesn't I know, they're fighting for a spoon and they'll finish what second, they'll finished second last. They don't if they win, But it feels like it's a really significant significant game for this club and their development and their just to give their fans some hope that there is some improvement there. Look the I think there's as I said, I think there's been some green shirts, bit of blue sky, but you'd like to see that crystallized by them avoiding the Wooden Spoon. If you're a Tiger's fan, I reckon, I reckon. They're going to be up for it. The Tigers just really up for it.
Speaker 2: Tigers ready.
Speaker 1: Obviously they've signed Royce Heart where they own in terms of a few other players.
Speaker 4: They shouldn't know on Hawsbury by Friday. I'm told they'll get a response on Friday from Corey Hawesbrough either one way or the other. He'd be a good signing for them. And then obviously they're waiting on Jack Bird. They're haggling over the length of the deal at the moment with Jack Bird. We'll talk us through that because well they've offered him two years. Jack want's three. I believe Jack and his management want three, a three year deal. He's obviously the year left the Dragons. They've given him permission to go to market and have a look around. He had a meeting with the Tigers this week too at the facility. It's met Benji. He spoke to Rich Oh, so you know, I think that's reason. Well, I think that'll happen. Actually there's another guy they're interested in, but for three years or two years, that's what that's the bit. I don't know they're putting rigid on two years.
Speaker 1: The Tigers couldn't go three years there for chance, not without some parameters that it weighs heavily in the club's favor.
Speaker 4: And I reckon there might be some Look. I mean, obviously, Johnny Bateman's in England at the moment and I'm told Warrington want to keep him if he's willing to stay there, I don't imagine the Tigers will stand in his way. So I'm thinking there could be some more movement there over the off season, which is going to wait and see. But I think land Hawesbury this week and avoid the Wooden Spoon. That's a big week for them.
Speaker 2: Signing Dave. What does it mean A for the Sharks and B for the Tigers.
Speaker 3: I think it's a sold signing. Royce is an impact front rower. He is a minutes front rower. I'll be interested to see how they cover the loss of stefano U Ta Kamanu.
Speaker 2: I don't see it as a like forul Light replacement. They're completely different front row.
Speaker 4: They think he could play longer minutes. There's have been any evidence. I haven't watched enough.
Speaker 3: There's not enough evidence to suggest that and look, unless and this will be on Royce, and Royce will need a monster pre season if he really needs to increase those minutes, he needs to. And maybe maybe there's an element of him always knowing that it was he started in the front row a number of times for the Sharks, but he's probably never thought that I'm going to be the starting front row that holds this pack together, that that may be the opportunity for him to have a huge preseason and increase those minutes because he's averaging around twenty minutes a game for the Shark. Yeah, it's a different forward pack, I guess as well, because there's a lot of you know, those US forwards can play big minutes and he's probably less inclined to need to the Sharks. So as far as what it means for the Sharks, Mickey, look, I think he's been he's been beneficial to them. Like as I said, he brings impact from the bench. But at the same time, this is a deep pack, Like they've got a pretty deep roster. As Ford Pack is concerned, they still need to resign Jack Williams.
Speaker 2: Guys, he remains off contract to this season. So and Jack's.
Speaker 3: Basically such as his desire to stay at Cronulla, He's held out as long as possible for Kronella to get their cap in order, waiting for Royce's decision to see what the Sharks can come up with. At this point in time, again, Jack remains unsigned and obviously the bigger rival of Adam fanil Blake next year is the big one?
Speaker 2: Well, Jax Daye. Now do you think because that part of the still look, I don't It depends.
Speaker 3: Jack's been on pretty good money for a number of years down at Coronella for about five hundred and five fifty. Yeah, he's been on good money and I believe you'll have to take a pay cut to stay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so it'll be a matter.
Speaker 4: I can't imagine you get much more than that on the open mar I can't imagine get that in the open market.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: And which clubs which and what appeals to Jack? What clubs are what clubs come knocking for Jack? And does it suit him? Or does he stay for Cronulla and stay for less so interesting? Just on the Sharks, we get to see Nico Hines. Their return last week wasn't at his best.
Speaker 4: A little bit of hasn't he There's a lot of attentional.
Speaker 3: I understand, honestly, Lok he wasn't at his best now if runs through this line. Kronulla kicked to a thirty to four lead and Nico scores that try, probably kicks the goal thirty two to four.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty confident they don't lose the game from thirty two to four.
Speaker 3: Now, in this second half, the entire momentum shift did the Warriors favor through six agains and penalties. Cornella had a thirty percent possession and a lopside of penalty count in this game. If you didn't watch it closely enough, Brandon Trindle was the halfback and the plan was always to Nick back in in a five to eight throw. Trindle set up a large majority of the first half tries and Nico eased himself back into this contest. I'm happy to assess him on this Sunday's performance against Manly.
Speaker 4: It feels like going in the finals, he's arguably the player under the most pressure.
Speaker 2: Not arguably for mine. I think is there some.
Speaker 4: Whispers going around that obviously they've signed into a long term deal and not everyone at the club's doing cartwheels over it.
Speaker 2: I haven't picked up on that ready, little.
Speaker 4: Whispers going around this week, mate, that's.
Speaker 2: All right, big gone ready, if that's correct some whispers. I'm not worried about his performance against the Warriors.
Speaker 1: I'm going to judge him on the next month little football for the player month of football. And it's not just Nico, it's the whole Sharks outfit, right. They've faltered at the business end of the season in the last few years and I think it's a it's a massive period for Craig Fits given Nico, Hines and all the players out of the Sharks, I think, you know, we know the stigma around them at the moment and if they don't win at least one finals, for me.
Speaker 3: Guys, I think and and I'm with you totally, Mick. Look, you know it's a huge month of footy coming for the Sharks.
Speaker 2: But for me, there's not enough attention on Will Kennedy. Yeah, at fullback he's not in the least no, no, But if Cronulla are.
Speaker 3: To go deep into a finals, everybody knows you need your fullback to have a final series. That's that's proven across you go through all the premiership winning sides.
Speaker 2: Dylan Edwards all right, Breis.
Speaker 3: Walsh almost got there last year, Ben Barber twenty sixteen. You go through the list of when you have success, your fullback is flying and for me, well Kennedy is just consistent enough.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: He kicked what eighteen months ago, Like I think he had significant improvement and that he's sort of been capped. Yeah, they're a little bit, don't you think they? Like he had that, like he had that run when you won't sure if he was going to be a week in, week out first ground and then really found his level right, absolutely, and I still think he's at that level and hasn't gone, which is what your point is to that next tier.
Speaker 2: If he to Desco, he's not going to. I don't think he's ever going to be that player.
Speaker 3: Well, if it's all well and good to say to Sharks need a big month for footy, but have they got the roster to have a big monkey.
Speaker 4: Doesn't that show that they lack maybe the truly elite player. We thought Nicko might be that guy, but he hasn't really reached that level yet. But you look at all the clubs in contention, the clubs will Win Comps Pen got Cleary, Melbourn, got Monster Hughes. Take your pick, Harry. Perhaps the Rooster have got Teddy truly elite player. They seem to have the truly elite player in their squad at the moment. They need someone to step up in this finals series become that goal.
Speaker 3: So I think I think we've seen him. I think I certainly think Nico has got it in him, and I think that's there. The other one is who stood up with loaded black braid. Brayley's been the guy that's opened it up for them. But just back to Kennedy. Now, if you think about the Sharks period of no halves right, I was looking for Will Kennedy to go in and take them in a situation where the Sharks are running around with Kem mckinness and Blake Brailey in the halves, where's my fullback standing up and taking some pressure of the halves And Will was just there.
Speaker 2: He's again, super consistent, He's a quality fullback. But I want to see him go to another level and player.
Speaker 1: Well, that's where I'm just not sure that I think Brailey is the key to defining finals. And this was my issue with the Sharks. So they've accepted my expectations. Because more to your point, I think the game change will come next year, right that a bad We's going to open it up and create more space because they're four packed from one same same, They're just they're just here.
Speaker 2: Their strength is their back fire poins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Ronaldo Raimian cal Yeah, that's that's where they can get a job.
Speaker 2: Talaqai.
Speaker 3: This weekend I think will be a late inclusion, okay, male late mail. Interesting in one club that's been in the news as well, the Roosters. We all know their injury perils over on Sunday. Can they win the comp? Dave with all those injuries mounting.
Speaker 2: Yes, they know that.
Speaker 3: Look, they can't win the comp, but they should be doing a number on the Rabbit acts let me say that. Yeah, I'm not going to listen to this tripe about they've been decimated by injuries and suddenly they there's season's over like it's the deepest rock. It's such a deep roster, it's a quality roster. They lose Brandon Smith and you put the new South Wales origin hooker in. Yeah, but come on, yeah, it does it does change their.
Speaker 4: It's still a very very good foot as on paper, but I think you take out the quality of player they've lost again, I think it just it erodes depth and it it leaves you sure when you're up against the really elite teams which they will face in the finals, particularly Pendeuth and Melbourne. Yeah, the historically they cannot beat.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: They can't bet with those guys in with them out, their odds just drift immeasurably. So you know, I don't think they can win it.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: Brandon did a podcast stay talking about the injury and the belief in the team and how they this is really galvanized the fit players. But I just think, you know, there's just they're huge. They're just huge losses Walker and smith In particularly just massively as well. Yeah, he's bustard actually, you know what he's been. He's obviously moved to the edge this year and sort of protected Sam a lot, but man, he's such a good player Victor around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I think I think they can still win the comp. I think yeah, yeah, yeah, I think they can.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think they're probably the third.
Speaker 1: I would have had him as maybe the second best team, but now I've got him as probably the third best team, the third best team they're still in the comp But what it does mean, it means that they're gonna all their players are going to redline right because they need to, because they lose that depth. As you say, they lose that couple. They lose a little bit of impact off.
Speaker 2: Off the bench.
Speaker 1: But there's never a good time obviously, like you're in the finals, you don't want to get these injuries like that. But if it happened six months ago, I would have written them off right because not having those players for a larger chunk of they you're going to cut more injuries. Your other player gonna have to play more minutes, and the likes. They've got a month left of footing now, which I think the senior players can get them through.
Speaker 2: This is the catch, Mick. This is the catch, and correct me if I'm wrong. If the Roosters win and beat Soouts on Sunday, they finished third, they played.
Speaker 3: Week one of the finals. Ready has just mentioned that they can't beat Penrith. Yeah yeah, so now so.
Speaker 2: Now let's just you know, let's play crystal ball.
Speaker 3: They've just been knocked up by Penroth and they're playing an elimination final. Their trek to the Grand Final has just been made all the more harder being on the penwith side of the draw.
Speaker 2: Well, they got to play pen and if they got to go play Melbourne, if they win, and.
Speaker 4: Then if they win that, they're going to play pen again in the Grand Final.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hot. I understand. There's no do you want to get a pen out, there's no easy.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm not riding them off. But the other side that I think can win the comp is mainly I think I think merely can win the comp.
Speaker 2: I don't at all to win.
Speaker 4: Four straight games in the finals as good as they are the one team that could do it because of Tommy. Tommy not just Tommy, but well he's the key.
Speaker 2: They got dusted by the Tigers two weeks ago. Doesn't bother me.
Speaker 1: They are just that sort of side, like we've said along, they can beat Melbourne and Penrith lose the Tigers of paramatter, because that's that's the madness of that side. But we saw them bully the Dogs and if they get that dog flat, if they get that, they get that middle, if they get that middle bit right. I think they can win the comp.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: So, let's talk about the machinations for their winning loss on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Where do they finish up? Where does their Week one finals to be?
Speaker 1: So, obviously the Dogs play the Cowboys. The winner of that is fifth, right. The loser will either host Manly or play away to Manly if Mainly beat the Sharks. If mainly beat the Sharks, they'll hope. If Mainly lose, they'll play North Queensland or the Dogs to.
Speaker 2: Catch right, so they could be looking at a road trip to Towns.
Speaker 1: I think they win. I think they win all those games. I don't mind who they play week one of the finals. If Tommy is back and they don't cop any injuries on Sunday, I think they win.
Speaker 4: I think that they're challenges week to of the final.
Speaker 2: If they play can I think they win.
Speaker 4: Yeah, potentially, and then they're in a prelim. What about they play the ruses us to use win the ground.
Speaker 2: That would be tough.
Speaker 4: Play each other week too.
Speaker 1: Out of context, thank you very much. I said they can win the Grand Final, speaking of size that I don't think can win the Grand Final. But though one of them will be in the top eight. Let's get a tip. Dolphins Nights Ready on Sunday regular KP.
Speaker 4: Calm plays, I'll give you last week, then the Knights will win. I just think he looks as though he's just Cherry Ripe at the moment. Carden Knights or Dolphins and again all the Knights, and actually I think they can do some damage in the finals. If Calyn's fit and firing.
Speaker 2: I think they're dreaming. I'm doing a dreaming. Can I have what you're having?
Speaker 4: I love Calin. He's such a good play.
Speaker 2: So if they play, they don't be the dogs on all Queensland.
Speaker 4: I reckon, I reckon they've been the dogs by sixty two years ago at call two years ago. Can I'm just saying they can be the dogs.
Speaker 2: It's just plucked some type of fixture two years ago.
Speaker 4: So you don't think. You don't think the Nis can beat the Cowboys or dogs?
Speaker 2: Don't think?
Speaker 4: So, please don't think so, book folks.
Speaker 2: They went, they went on Sunday.
Speaker 4: No, you've got the Dolphins winning. Yeah, gotta okay, super.
Speaker 2: Coach Wayne will have this Dolphins. So I just just so measured so ready, I.
Speaker 4: Reckon When Carolyn plays like he did, like be just about any team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a freak. I'm with you on that, right, you're fly saying. The notes are one man being saying.
Speaker 1: To be fair to argue without Kayla goes all right, No, there's some good players, but without if Kayla is not an eight, they don't win.
Speaker 2: Karl's not in the team. Where are the Knights? Like that? You give the Knights no chance, zero chance, zero zero, no chance? All right, So you've got him going on week two of the finals.
Speaker 4: I think they I think they if they win this, I reckon they win.
Speaker 2: Week one of the finals gets the dogs, all the cowboy dogs.
Speaker 4: With cowboys, I'm tipping them to win. There you go, yep, A Week two might get tough.
Speaker 2: I think I think they can be the dogs because he's got them in a brillion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, potentially, I think they can knock out cron.
Speaker 2: Can we clear some people?
Speaker 3: You can?
Speaker 2: And what you said very happy.
Speaker 4: But I think he's that good a player, and I think he's in that good a form at the moment.
Speaker 2: Defensively not defensively not there for this week.
Speaker 4: He's got a bit of steel to him about the great.
Speaker 2: Sorry Castle fans, if he has a shocker.
Speaker 3: Sorry Newcastle fans, because man is just giving you the kiss of read. He's got to go to a fly. I haven't look at the tip said, I wouldn't rule it out.
Speaker 2: I have a look at the tipping ladder in the Telegraph.
Speaker 4: That's okay.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry Newcastle fans. I'm going there just lost.
Speaker 4: What am I coming over looked?
Speaker 2: Because I'm so far down to shocker worst ever? Yeah, as you go that, I'm sitting third or fourth worst.
Speaker 4: Very consistent performances, always up there.
Speaker 2: And speaking of people's Brendan.
Speaker 4: Cow messages me all the time that Minscrep updates pictures of his.
Speaker 2: He's got his documentary coming out.
Speaker 4: Plumb.
Speaker 2: Oh you know he wrote the book plumb. Have you said concussions? Have you said the twelve? And I see you? I know not on on Fox.
Speaker 4: This is the Monday show shows we're watching. It came not the the twelve. I've seen he's in it. Yeah, he loves his leg, loves his sharks.
Speaker 3: Look first and at a game the other day as well. When I saw his play a couple of weeks ago, he went to I forgot what it was called.
Speaker 2: It was good. Dragged me a good rugby league. Man, you're going to play? Yeah, we had a rare night out.
Speaker 4: Wow, I've been the one player my life. Can turn the story Broadway? It was the producers. I was there with my wife CAUs and I fell asleep.
Speaker 2: Did you give your did you give yourself a hamry?
Speaker 4: Or it was just it was at the end of and I was a bit tired.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: We went to New York and I was a big tied and can get how did you play?
Speaker 2: Just control of the shame consist of the dragons?
Speaker 3: What a.
Speaker 2: What a rubbish performance on Sunday? Like, does it get any worse than what they did? Say?
Speaker 4: I know that's sort of Costom Costom final spot, right, But they've had a great year, a great achieve They've made massive strides. But this was this was this was a remind remind of how much work they still need to do to be a solid top eight, top fourteen. There's still a long way off.
Speaker 2: It shows how much recruitment they need to do. That's what it shows.
Speaker 1: It's a great point you made, ready because I think that was diabolical of that performance right like it was it was just a zero out of ten and the flannel was quite rightly skating from as well. It was quite rightfully skating after the game. But I don't I think it would be a little bit sad to gloss over and use that as a reflection of their season because they have overachieved the fact they were even controlled their own destiny with two games to go. I think it was outstanding because I don't think anyone had any hopes for them this year, but today's point, They've got a long long way to go, and I don't think Damien Cook and Valentine Holmes is going to be enough to get this side into the top eight next year.
Speaker 2: I think they'll improve again.
Speaker 3: I think once you go with a belief system of the coach's style and yeah, yeah, you know, the first season is always about embedding that style and then second season you can build on it. And I think that's that's a great base for Saints to start from, but adding some class will help.
Speaker 4: Do we think where can Ken mcgilla will be the next year?
Speaker 2: It's still up in the air. It's definitely up in the air. It's if it's still it's all.
Speaker 3: Dependent on how much paramatter are willing to chip in and the length and the length of the contract. From Reggi's point of view, Now Saints are willing to only go to two years, so it'll be interesting, but they definitely need to continue that recruitment drive.
Speaker 2: I must say, I've got a stack of Saints.
Speaker 3: Fans as mates, and they all stood and applauded Flannet's press conference. Yeah, and I think I think it showed, Yeah, a lot of metal and belief and passion from Flint to stand there and go, sorry, this press conference is over.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm not dealing with this anymore. I'm not putting it up.
Speaker 1: But having answered, having spoken right, I said what he needed to say, it would have been It would have been a bit different if there was a five second press conference and he walked out right. He said what he needed to say, relate how upset and embarrassed he was in that performance, said apologize, and left.
Speaker 2: I thought it was fine.
Speaker 4: Did you say, Dave, I can't remember I heard this. I'm sure it was you said that you don't think the Dragons would be averse to letting ben Hunt go.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't say that made but okay. I think I think was intimated that. On three sixty on Mondays.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're right, Yeah, sorry, I was on with him. I think, look, I do do you think do you think that's do you think that you happen to see Ben Hunt gone?
Speaker 2: Not without an able replacement? Okay, that's the point. That's the point.
Speaker 3: That's always been the discussion corn about Ben Hunt. What's the point in letting him go when you can't you need to get someone in.
Speaker 4: So there was talking about extending him.
Speaker 2: I don't ever think, well, I don't think it was ever.
Speaker 4: Legit were going to be happy about that?
Speaker 2: No, No, well, I think how old is he?
Speaker 1: He's got twelve months left on his contract and they're not saying they're not going to resign him.
Speaker 3: But I don't think there was ever genuine, in depth discussion about his future beyond next season. And I think Ben Hunt did a really good interview with Jake Duke face to face the other the other week and he said, I don't I don't know if I want to play on beyond this contract as well. So there's a little bit to play out there, but I'm not resigning ben Hunt at the moment at the moment, right and I think sorry, getting off top of I was just watching some highlights there and I've got to say there's no doubt in the world he had a wow of.
Speaker 2: A season and through up until the State of Origin period.
Speaker 3: Zachly Lomax. Yeah, but I think he's dipped. Yeah that post Origin, post Origin, he's dipped.
Speaker 1: He hasn't been bad the same level like he was one of the most I think we said it on here, he was one of the most influential players in the game.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he hasn't been able to replicate that.
Speaker 1: And that's quite common with guys post their first origines.
Speaker 2: Those eras have crept back into his game. His forms dipped.
Speaker 3: It might be a byproduct of Saints to a degree, but yeah, I mean he was outstanding up into the Origin.
Speaker 4: What do they do with Sloan? What he thoughts there? You see him not being there next year?
Speaker 2: No, I think he's there next year. Just resign him for two years. He needs baby, he needs it, has to has to like lock in remembering he had the injury.
Speaker 4: How have you been sign that for Dave?
Speaker 2: What is he? Twenty three?
Speaker 1: Played a fair Yeah, I think I just don't know if he's an NRL fullback off he's a potential idea but he just doesn't have the tough carries coming out of his own. And if he could find those carry I think is he could be a superstar winger.
Speaker 3: I think they'll use next the next twelve months two to find another fullback for the future.
Speaker 4: Would you consider playing vel Land That won't happen.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think he's got the legs in him anymore.
Speaker 3: And all the discussions I heard was that it was wing or center for VWA. Yeah, it is a fallback option now obviously, but I think if the Dragons are going well, then Sloan is your one right locked in because it means that he's found We've all seen it.
Speaker 2: We know it's frustrating.
Speaker 4: PA's got to try and undisrupted.
Speaker 3: Preseason last year when he got injured in the Courier knockout, and the Flannel had massive plans on getting getting me fit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, harder and harder, but it couldn't get going until December. All right, We'll get some listener questions.
Speaker 1: These are from Twitter on the Dragons from Dylan, who are the hards for the Dragons round one next season?
Speaker 2: I think it's hunting Flannagan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's h Flann again, Well, Jonah Pesant be Newcastle half back next year from Wade Spade, I'd be surprised.
Speaker 4: I think Jonah wants to stay in Melbourne and it'll depend what happens with Jerome Hughes whether he stays there long term, but he's got another year on his corner.
Speaker 2: It won't be next year.
Speaker 4: And you've got to remember the new Castle aspect of all this, his dad as a recruitment guy there. It didn't them well, so I don't think that'll happen off.
Speaker 2: The back of an acl as well.
Speaker 1: So opinions are the Broncos just suffering from Adam Reynolds not playing enough?
Speaker 2: Dave?
Speaker 3: I think there's an element of that, no doubt. They've had a lot of injuries. Adam's obviously hugely influential to that team. But but there's some big decisions that need to be made at the Broncos. Mick and I said it on three sixty that if you know, obviously in the wake of that Dave donahe that Bronco CEO has come out and said that Kevy's our man. But I still have nervous moments at the start of the season for the Broncos Yep.
Speaker 1: Agree, they'll be under the hump when the club under the most scrutiny headed into next season. Roxy Claire Patra Over the past three seasons, including twenty four, Roxy says Roxy.
Speaker 4: Which coach Claire Patri was a movie?
Speaker 2: Okay? Says Roxy.
Speaker 1: Over the past three seasons, including twenty twenty four, says Roxy, Clip has been the most successful.
Speaker 4: So what was the quest? Because Foxy clips power? It was Beyonce, wasn't it? Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, Over the past three seasons, including twenty twenty four, which coach has been the most successful? Out of Creage, Vic Skibbon, Trent Robinson and Kevy Walters past three seasons's.
Speaker 2: Made the finals in his first three years of coaching.
Speaker 4: keV is the only one to make a Grand Grand Final.
Speaker 3: He's missed the eight this year. Would it be Kevy for mine? Despite making the Grand Final?
Speaker 4: Wouldn't be care? What's what?
Speaker 3: What's Robbo's most last three years played finals, finals last year.
Speaker 4: I would have to be fit that won of finals they finished consistently for a rookie coach. That's a hard question. Good question, Foxy, cleiar Patrick, really good work Roxy.
Speaker 2: Foxy and Roxy. But I are going to say, the roosters, what do they finished last three twenty three? They won one final the loss. Yeah, but you're no, it's fitzy. Because of that your you have to compare the rosters they actually make. Look at the roos was the question.
Speaker 1: And most successful. We're not comparing the rosters, just the most successful.
Speaker 4: I'm sure that's what they don't want to take Roxy, Cleopatra or Foxy out out of context, but I'm sure that's what they meant. Who's been the most successful in understood with the roster and and taking in every dynamic a holistic approach.
Speaker 3: All right, great, all right, this one's for ready from Andrew Davis Davies the back row from merely as.
Speaker 2: Michael.
Speaker 3: My question for the podcast is why he's really such an angry little man? He literally wants to argue with everybody else's opinion every time. Tell him to go back to soccer if he can't play.
Speaker 2: Nice? Are you little? He's a bit small?
Speaker 4: I'm sure I.
Speaker 2: Didn't think you're that little?
Speaker 4: Is clearly idiots. Oh you got me fired up. Now I'm very angry, but you are a.
Speaker 2: Bit of an angry No, No, he's not cat. You are a lunatic. But you're not angry.
Speaker 4: I'm just get a bit. I'm passionate, got a passionate Andrew.
Speaker 2: And very sixty does weird and wonderful people, Simon.
Speaker 1: There's are emails with the NRL crackdown of high tackles and the overwhelming number of on reports tending to bin and missus of the above. Why doesn't the NERL consider eye for an eye Penalties's.
Speaker 2: A watcher, that's a nunner of the game.
Speaker 1: I'm getting sick of high tackles where a victim is taken off for a hi A and the perpetrator gets a penalty against them, sending them being Whereas that for ten minutes and the HIA is off for fifteen minutes, would this be the solution? High tackle purposely with force, victim hi A fifteen minutes, perpetrator sin bean for fifteen minutes. So basically, did you commit an act and you've.
Speaker 2: Got fifteen minutes hi you got fifteen minutes.
Speaker 4: I don't mind that idea.
Speaker 3: Actually that's not about you want to go back to the if for a siment because it would be unreal if if if Stephen Crichton got to bite Cole fl they.
Speaker 4: Didn't bite him, good body, I reckon, that's a good idea.
Speaker 2: Fifteen minutes is a long time.
Speaker 4: Well sorry, I would say you're allowed to replace the guy if he's off for fifteen minutes. It's not because the HIA person is allowed to be replaced. But then no, so the person though ten minutes and then maybe the opposition coach nominate two ars off. But no, that's a good idea.
Speaker 2: We let someone let someone from the crowd decide popular.
Speaker 3: Yeah, put it on the big screen, that discussion of putting the person in the sinbin in front of the crowd.
Speaker 2: At g Jack Devardo's.
Speaker 4: Hockey. Yeah, that's a great idea.
Speaker 2: You like this, but not a sinbin.
Speaker 4: It was because they're sent to the symbin then just for a minute. If it's fifteen minutes, truly had to replace them.
Speaker 2: Well that's not SimBin.
Speaker 4: Of course, is there any.
Speaker 2: Player the team's not reduced to twelve, but they're still in the sin bin?
Speaker 4: No, that's mad, and the opposition coach nominates the player that comes on?
Speaker 2: All right, Colin wants no.
Speaker 1: Colin's idea was basically, you're in the symin for fifteen minutes, not your concept of you just replace them.
Speaker 4: We've just massaged it. It makes makes more sense.
Speaker 1: Colin Okay, I was a Colin, So it was Simon Collins the next one with the upcoming final series meaning less games. Do you think the remaining on food referees can be utilized as touch judges?
Speaker 2: Ten? Sure the best qualified? What do you laugh at?
Speaker 1: Adam on field ref actually climbing. Chris Siden's touch judges and Chris Butler in the bunker. I wouldn't have Butler anywhere. Need a bunker to judging? Yeah, special especial special.
Speaker 4: Yeah, running and carrying a flag it's not that easy.
Speaker 2: Are you specialized?
Speaker 4: How you tried running with flags? Difficult?
Speaker 1: The touch judges specialists, majority of them and they're just exclusively touch judges.
Speaker 2: There's a few that double on the I've seen. I have seen a couple of double dippers. There's a couple.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Chris, you're forty twenty to be able to judge where the bull goes the line.
Speaker 2: That's hard, that's hard. Just raising your arm.
Speaker 4: Yourself day to get the flat raw.
Speaker 2: Caleb wants to know there's rape. Caleb, Caleb, come out, there's.
Speaker 4: Rape.
Speaker 2: Brice's name ever come up in the immortal discussions, you would have seen.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't thought the immortal player, great player, right, I don't think he's the mortal.
Speaker 2: Boys. What are we looking forward to? The most? We've got Dolphins beating the Knights, Dolphins better knight.
Speaker 4: I'm going to the spoon, but sideline pumped.
Speaker 2: You can't be more excited than that than a eight f nights Okay, Yeah, keeping forward, be rocking Sunday, Brookie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm going to that.
Speaker 2: I'm going to that too.
Speaker 4: If you're a Newcastler, be huge.
Speaker 2: That'll be huge. I think it's sold out, should be, it'll be a sellout.
Speaker 3: Is going to cut What about the Green Machine? You're going to make it three on the truck to finish the year against That's a fair season from.
Speaker 4: That was a great win last week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they defended outstanding.
Speaker 4: They just had that dip in the middle of the year, didn't they.
Speaker 1: It's been it's been glossed over a little bit, mister, given all the things that have occurred post game, but jorder up in his final game and pretty gory details around that. You've got the way they defended.
Speaker 4: When they were one man short, they didn't touch the ball at all, didn't they It was like fifty tackles straight or something.
Speaker 1: It was a phenomenal effort. But obviously the fact they're not in finals content, well, they're not going to play fine. So many kids this year, miracle, a few more dinner Dave. Oh, yes, there's no footy anymore.
Speaker 2: No the kids there. We got beaut we got bundled out. We lost the Grand Final.
Speaker 3: I'm still finals was a rough or yeah, it was a kick try eighteen twelve we lost. Kicked to the corner tries off kicks. You sound like Paul McGregor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't count. I don't like kick try.
Speaker 4: Come on, you were different points for because your winger a fold talk, which.
Speaker 2: You even fifteen old? Are they? I love my boy? So what I'm going to go with.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go with a stir for tonight. Yeah right with its ginger and oyster sauce chicken. I'm going to kick Yeah, ginger and oyster sauce. It is sensational, boys, just that mix, fantastic.
Speaker 2: You guys make it beautiful.
Speaker 4: Look, I really want to do something different tonight, but I haven't come up with anything different yet. But I'm gonna I'm thinking of lasagna, but I always make lasagna. I'm very good cooking lasan cook great lasagna. Have I told you my Lasagna's secret in the white sauce, bit of nutmeg. The nutmeg and the white sauce. It makes such a difference. And when you put the cheese on top, you've got to make sure there's parmesan.
Speaker 2: You should make a Greek dish has got nutmeg. You know that's similar color for tique color that one I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: Sorry, you like it?
Speaker 2: Actually, what's what's in that nutmeg? And it's like a lasagn ya but it's a.
Speaker 4: Bit different, but sounds exactly. It's always happened. Come up with something different, it's different. It's actually what I'm thinking about. Dave, I can't be on something for that. You've got a rock. Books are special. I think my Bihim on a pizza of him.
Speaker 2: Haven't you been saying this for two hundred dollars? Off how much they give? Six hundred?
Speaker 4: Okay, perfect summer.
Speaker 2: It's outstanding, unreal this week, I'll get you over there, you go.
Speaker 4: I like that. We should be rotating. We should go to each cool and see is the best, and then talk about next year on the.
Speaker 2: Show Sounds.
Speaker 1: We're having a lamb roast. Oh no, all right, this should be a cracking games or footy. I'm really looking forward to it. This time next week we'll be talking week one of the finals.
Speaker 2: Enjoy