Speaker 1: Late General, Welcome, Late Base, thanks for your company. I'm James Macpherson with Caleb Bond and filling in for this store at Danika de Giorgio.
Speaker 2: Coming up tonight.
Speaker 1: Katie Perry returns to Earth from her space odyssey, but her head is still very much up in the clouds.
Speaker 2: Will show you why a little later.
Speaker 1: Plus, when we get to what's making news tomorrow, the Reserve Bank says another rate cut isn't needed because apparently mortgage holders are doing just fine. And the Australian newspaper reporting doctors slamming Anthony Albanese's flagship health policy. All of that when we look at tomorrow's newspapers. But first, the SICKI is a great Australian tradition, right, call in sick on a Friday and give yourself an early mark. Of course, if you're going to do this, you probably shouldn't post photos of yourself enjoying a long weekend on social media. But that's exactly what a Melbourne solicitor did, and when he got sacked, he blamed stigma around mental health days. Commercial lawyer Mitchell Fuller claimed to be sick last year when he was actually on an interstate footy trip. Enjoying the AFL's gather around with mates. He told the Fair Work Commission he was entitled to the SICKI because he needed a mental health day, and besides, he'd run out of his ADHD medication. He said, quote, I could barely hold a conversation, let alone focus on legal drafting. The existing situation in the office became almost unbearable. I was burning out on fast forward. I realized I desperately needed a circuit breaker with close friends that care about me. I had plenty of personal leave, and I decided to take the Friday off. So he went to Adelaide, watched the AFL, went to the beach, and hung out in pubs with his mates. When the Commission found he'd lied to his employer and deserved to be sacked, well, Mitchell Fuller transformed himself into a mental health advocate. He told journalists and I quote, as a society at large, we need to quit sniggering at the idea of mental health days and start writing them explicitly into workplace laws. Caleb, you're a big fan of the AFL. Do you agree with him? Mental health day would be about in order for you?
Speaker 3: Well look, I will say that I would never do anything like this, and I have never done anything like this.
Speaker 4: I have been renowned in all.
Speaker 3: Of my workplaces for avoiding sick days at all costs, which is great because when you finally want to pull a SICKI no one questions at whatsoever. And I'm so dedicated to this channel here, scar News and my employment that I will be working on Good Friday and Anzac Day this year because you know, I just want to be here all the time to serve you the viewer. That being said, the man has a point.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: He wanted to go to Adelaide, the greatest city in the country, and for that I do not blame him. The therapeutic qualities of that city I'm sure would help fix him, and the therapeutic qualities of Ossie rules football.
Speaker 4: Cannot be denied either.
Speaker 3: I can't think of a better way to get your head back in shape than to go to Adelaide and watch eight or nine games of footy in the one place on one weekend and have a few beers with your.
Speaker 4: Mates at the pub.
Speaker 3: I'm going down a warning ball in a few weeks time for the races down there. They call it schoolies for middle aged men. I don't quite qualify as a middle aged man, i'd like to think.
Speaker 4: But we know what.
Speaker 5: I go away for that week.
Speaker 3: And I come back feeling fantastic because I've gone and drunk shed loads of wine and watched some Mortses race and hung out with some mates, and I feel brilliant when I so, I can see his argument he should.
Speaker 1: Have told his employer that he just said he was sick and didn't give any specific reason.
Speaker 5: Well, I've won a few things. First.
Speaker 6: I love how Caleb started off his little preamble thereby, you know, basically sucking up to.
Speaker 5: His employer on his employment.
Speaker 6: The channel here like this, Now, look, who hasn't taken a sick day?
Speaker 5: Come on, if you haven't taken.
Speaker 3: A set, I've only ever had legitimate sick days. I've never thrown a sicky.
Speaker 6: You've never thrown a sick Well, I mean, Caleb, you are a star employee.
Speaker 5: Congratulates employee.
Speaker 2: You have taken sickis.
Speaker 5: I've I've had taken a SICKI before.
Speaker 4: Go on, you know what the most recent onnder there, oh.
Speaker 5: Like maybe six seven years ago, wasn't anything?
Speaker 7: All?
Speaker 5: Come? Yeah, mu's come on.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, look, we don't do it all the time, but yes, I think that the majority of people out there would say that they have indeed taken a SICKI.
Speaker 5: Here and there, and that's fine.
Speaker 6: I don't have a problem with that. But a couple of things with this story. At firstly, the mental health excuse really irks me actually from the very very beginning.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to go into people's own mental health problems.
Speaker 6: However, he wants to put mental health leave into laws That really bothers me from a business perspective, from an employer perspective, to then have that clause in somebody's contract as well, that they're allowed to take several days off here and they're willing nearly whenever they feel like it to take mental health days.
Speaker 5: I do actually think it is.
Speaker 6: In a police officer's contract that they are allowed to take mental health days. Fair and that I think is completely fair enough that I that I understand, but really that's just more burden on the employer. Now, second thing I would point out, if you are indeed going to take a sicky for goodness sake, rule number one, amateur, this is and this is this is real amateur hour from this bloke. Okay, do not post it on yes social media, go into hiding. Go into hiding, pretend like you're not, pretend that you are indeed sick.
Speaker 5: Do not post it on your social media. That is the problem.
Speaker 6: But with this case, the Fair Work Commission actually threw it out, so you just got to wonder what's going on really.
Speaker 1: With his point, you know he wants this inscribed in law. We should point out he is a former Green's candidate, so well figure my point with this, and you know he wanted a mental health day. Fair enough, AFL, But I'm a North Melbourne supporter, Caleb Helbn game any.
Speaker 2: Health today to recover from my mental health day.
Speaker 5: It's a very fair point.
Speaker 3: But but I mean, you know he took two sickies and the law firm found out four months later when they looked at his Instagram and then decided to sack him. I mean, if this is the standard that they're now going to set up in the Fair Work Commission, that you can be sacked for bumming two sickis and your employer finds out four months later, so clearly that you know that not much had happened in that time. That caused them to go and try and sack him. Like, if that's now the standard for getting sacked, there are a lot of people in this country who are going to be in serious trouble. I mean, remember when Bob ll said anyone, any employer who sacked someone for not turning up to work tomorrow is a bum. Of course, when we won the America's Cup, I mean, going by the Fair Work Commission, now it would sound like everyone can be sacked for chuck and a Sicki's much dangerous.
Speaker 5: I think it's too extreme, to be honest.
Speaker 6: I can understand if you were an employer you've got.
Speaker 5: A staff member who's chuck.
Speaker 6: To SICKI has gone on a holiday, gone on a vacation, gone to the gather around, done something like that. You might you would definitely think of them as a less favorable employee.
Speaker 2: You would.
Speaker 6: They probably would miss out, maybe on key roles in the company. I understand perhaps I would get less work. I completely understand that, but I'm not really sure if it's grounds for dismissalm.
Speaker 5: Come on, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think there may have been some.
Speaker 3: I just want to know who his footy team isn't and whether in fact that's why he had the second sicky, because he might have been in the same position as you, James. Now you might have seen over the last couple of days Peter Dutton's son Harry has been with him on the campaign trail. He popped up yesterday, took questions from the media, spoke to the media about the fact that he wants to be able to buy a house for himself, but it's very expensive to do so he's a little reminder if you didn't see it yesterday.
Speaker 8: I am saving up for a house, and so as my sister back and a lot of my mates. But as you've probably heard, it's almost impossible to get in in the current states. So I mean my saving like mad, but it doesn't look like we'll get there in the near future. But we'd love that to change.
Speaker 3: And soon after the lefty journalists and proponents of Albanomics were saying, well, why doesn't your father just pay for you to buy a house? As though lefties have now decided that it's a good thing to use intergenerational wealth to get into the property market. I thought they would have been on board with the idea of everyone able being able to afford things for themselves without having to lean on the wealth of their parents to do it. But no, when it comes to Peter dutton son saying he'd like to be able to do it under his own steam, Well, why aren't you doing it for him, mister Dutton. Now I don't quite get the reasoning here, But Peter Dudden yesterday wouldn't actually answer the question. He waited until today to say, yes, he would help out his son. Will you help them if their saving for a deposit and proving to be a good financial, financially responsible kids.
Speaker 9: And I think our households are no different to many households where want our kids to work hard to say, and will help them with a deposit at some stage.
Speaker 3: But now he could have just said that yesterday and put it all to bed. But as far as I'm concerned, it's a moronic line of questioning because what Datlan is trying to say here, and what his son Harry is trying to say, is that he shouldn't matter whether your parents have any money to decide whether you can get into the housing market.
Speaker 4: Surely we shouldn't be in.
Speaker 3: A position where you have to rely on your parents or your grandparents in order to be able to get into the housing market.
Speaker 4: For a lot of people.
Speaker 3: That's not how it used to be, but it is now for most people the way it is. If you want to get into the market, you've either got to rely on mom and dad to dip into the bank now to help you to secure your loan or to give you some extra money for a deposit, or you have to wait for them to drop off the perch and inherit their home in order to own property. This is not a great situation, is it. Because of course, if you believe in conservative politics, you need to understand that people have to own something, They need something to conserve if they're going to continue thinking that way. So Dutton saying, look, we want people to be able to buy houses under their own steam, and for some reason or another, the left doesn't think that's a good thing. So it's interesting to see how this has played out. And of course today Harry was back out with mister Dutton on the campaign trailer. He posted a photo on x this morning saying how happy and proud he was to have his son out on the hustings with him. Look, it may have blown up a little bit in his face yesterday. I wonder why it's taken this long to get the family out there.
Speaker 4: I know they were on.
Speaker 3: The sixty minutes interview that they did with Karl Stefanovic, but do you know what, Harry seems like an intelligent, upstanding young fella who was trying to make a legitimate argument about how he wants to be able to buy a home on his own without having to rely on his dad to bankroll him. Why do they get a bit more of this out there.
Speaker 4: The coalition and that they could give anything a go at this point.
Speaker 5: I agree.
Speaker 6: I think that Harry is a secret weapon that the Liberals should have rolled out from the very beginning of this campaign, because don't forget, Harry is twenty years old. He actually represents a cohort that the Liberals are desperately trying to target through these housing policies, through this first home biased scheme that they have announced as well, because they need to win over that cohort because we know that a lot of young voters, a lot of millennials for example, a lot of gen Z, they're actually turning to the minor parties and that's where the Greens could potentially pick up a lot of seats from these younger voters. But you know, Harry, I guess represents as well Peter Dutton's family life. And Peter Dutton has been painted, as we know, as this hard man, this you know, tough, tough, strong, strong politician. Well when we see this softer side, people actually warmed.
Speaker 5: To him and warm to his family.
Speaker 6: And I know when Peter Kredlin did that sit down podcast interview you remember with Peter Dutton, he actually spoke a lot there about his family.
Speaker 5: And it's a side we didn't.
Speaker 6: See, whereas Alvo he's always trotting out lines about Jodi when when they're going to get married and Toto the dog.
Speaker 3: For goodness sake, don't forget his mum who brought him up in housing and please.
Speaker 6: We can't forget about the social housing comments, and don't.
Speaker 1: Forget his son who got conscious lounge to access, and we can't forget that.
Speaker 5: Family point, that family point as well.
Speaker 6: But I just thought that the media question though about whether or not Peter Dutton would help his son out was absolutely appalling, because what parents, if they had the means to do so, wouldn't actually want to help out their children get into the market.
Speaker 1: But this is the funny side of it, right, So so you say Harry is there to emphasize Peter Dutton's softer side, but it took him fully a day and a bit to decide whether or not he'd help his son out.
Speaker 5: No, I agree should the very beginning.
Speaker 6: But I just think it was a stupid question to begin with, because what parent out there if you had the means to do so.
Speaker 5: You've got two sons.
Speaker 6: You've got two sons, James, if you had the means to do so to help your kids get into the into the market, you would do exactly after I pay to go together out and after you've taken a sicky as well at the same time. But the point is, it's like this gotcha moment, We've got him.
Speaker 1: I wrote with this, But stupid than the question was whoever's advising Peter Dutton they should prepare for these things. That they allowed that to become the issue rather than the difficulty for young people.
Speaker 2: Getting into the housing market.
Speaker 1: That's a damnation on the Liberal Party policy advisors, not on the media. What's interesting to me is whether they brought Harry into this discussion, as you say, to connect with younger people regarding this very important issue of housing, or whether it was not really about housing at all, it was about as you've also alluded to, trying to soften Peter Dutton's image in that sixty Minutes interview back in February, I think it was Dutton's wife, Curly said that her husband had been traditionally given tougher jobs in politics and that had created a certain persona which was not conducive to winning over voters.
Speaker 2: But she said, I hope you can see him.
Speaker 1: As another person if he does become the next Prime minister. Well, I would argue people have got to see him as another person, not when he becomes Prime minister, but before the election in order for him to ever have a chance of becoming Prime minister. Hence Harry appeared talking about housing the last day or two. Now he's back on the hustings again, not about housing, but just with his dad.
Speaker 4: But again, it's all just too late.
Speaker 3: I just feel like everything in this coalition campaign has come too late. Policies have come out too late, They've trodded out the family too late, and then when things don't go quite as they should, they just sing to them. Jumper price saying make Australia great again, or yesterday when they're trying to carry on a doubt and about how he should help out his son, they wait too long to respond to that. They don't seem to have anticipated it, like they just seem so far on the back foot.
Speaker 6: They definitely are on the back foot. But I think that they're hoping because it is actually proven that young people do vote for the Coalition, but they're more likely to be swayed by the party that they believe is going to help set them up for the future.
Speaker 5: And this is where the Coalition I think has been a bit slow. And of course one of those parties is the Greens and Boyo boy.
Speaker 6: But once again the Greens have proven to us that they are the most UnAustralian party in our history because their latest target amid every other day or every other issue they try to socially hijacked, well, they are now targeting Anzac Day. You heard that, correct, one of the most important days on our calendar, because they want to host what they're calling a party party.
Speaker 5: A rave. It sounds like a rave to me. Here it is.
Speaker 6: Here is the flyer the Greens party party. Now this is from the WA branch of the Greens. It was promoted as a ticketed fundraiser to help boast of their bolts of their fundraising efforts to campaign for candidates over in the West. It was set to be a five hour event with a DJ, tickets ranging from thirty dollars to one thousand.
Speaker 5: But here is what the invite read. I'm going to read it off.
Speaker 6: It says, the federal election is right around the corner. Join us for a night when the dance floor becomes a platform for radical change. Your moves matter on the floor and on the polls.
Speaker 5: How is that? Now? Look couple of issues dancing? Oh okay, well your mind went there. I didn't it did, kayla.
Speaker 6: But look a couple of issues of course at play here. Firstly, Anzac Day is obviously a day that we as a nation pause to reflect and remember those who not only fought for us and did so so bravely, but also continue.
Speaker 5: To do so.
Speaker 6: And it's not just a day that we fob off as just your average public holiday. And yet what bothers me about this is that the Green sort to take advantage of this, take advantage of our freedoms that we are so grateful for thanks to everybody who has fought for us and continue to do so. To throw a campaign fundraiser, now, obviously I'm aware that pubs are packed on Anzac Day with two up people enjoy the public holiday. I'm not saying that. I'm not saying you can't have a party. I'm not saying you can't enjoy yourselves. But the point is a campaign fundraiser on a day like Anzac Day is an absolute disgrace.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: That was the issue. No one's saying you can't have fun on Anzac Day. We should enjoy the freedoms that our souls sacrifice themselves for. The point is this is political and it's generally agreed we don't politicize.
Speaker 2: Anzac Day in any way.
Speaker 1: Campaign will stop on the twenty fifth as our politicians give honor to our serviceman.
Speaker 2: Here's Peter Dutton making just that point.
Speaker 9: I think it's completely inappropriate and I think it reflects the poor values that the Greens stand for. And I just say to every young Australian who's proud of their grandfather who fought in the war, proud of a cousin who's serving in the Australian Defense Force. Now understand that the Greens have complete contempt for our Defense Force personnel. The Greens, of course would be the partners in government with Anthony Albanezi, and mister Albanezi should condemn these actions.
Speaker 2: This is typical of the Greens.
Speaker 1: They talk about the importance of empathy and love and tolerance and inclusion and then fail to understand Anzac Days a day that should be reserved for honoring those who have sacrificed their lives. But I think in order to be a Green, the prerequisite is that you don't think. For instance, you know, billionaires will pay for everything until we have no billionaires left. Stop oil and gas now. But of course society would break down if we did that. Defund private schools. Of course public schools would be overwhelmed.
Speaker 2: If we did that.
Speaker 1: It's typical of Green thinking on the run. Thought bubbles that are immediately burst the moment, and he thought is applied.
Speaker 2: And Adam Bandt failed to condemn this.
Speaker 1: Now he claimed he didn't know about it, but he should have said, look, if this is true, it's not on then again it's true to form for the Greens because not that long ago Senator Jordan steel John. This fundraiser was in part to raise money for him. It wasn't that long ago. He refused to support a motion condemning vandalism at the Australian War Memorial and Adam Bant supported him in that refusal to support that motion condemning vandalism. So the way the Greens feel about this country, as you said, Danika, is pretty clear for anybody.
Speaker 2: Who's been paying even a mediocrem of attention.
Speaker 4: But I think that's the point.
Speaker 3: I think you give them too much credit in saying that this was a thought bubble that just didn't stand up to any actual thought.
Speaker 4: When they came to it, they knew exactly what they were doing. They know it's an Zac Day.
Speaker 3: They just want to take advantage of the public holiday because they don't particularly care about Anzac Day. Because of course Anzac Day means soldiers who've gone off to defend the colony and all the other terrible, wicked things that have gone on in the West, as far as they're concern to the Australian military, is a symbol of colonialism and imperialism and us trying to spread our will upon the rest of the world. They couldn't give two hoots about Anzac Day. And it's quite obvious so that they've canceled this thing, or they've rescheduled it, they've seen it.
Speaker 4: Some other time, whenever that may be.
Speaker 3: But if you look at the one line statement that they put out today, because of course it's not until people start complaining that they actually go, oh, you know, I suppose we were to do something about this, but it came through it about midday today.
Speaker 4: This was all the statement said.
Speaker 3: The event originally scheduled for twenty five April, has been rescheduled. Sophie Greer, she's the candidate for Perth, will attend an Anzac Day service on that day and she was always intending.
Speaker 4: To do so.
Speaker 3: That is all that the Greens in Wa had to say about the fact that they'd been called out that they were going to take advantage of what is a sacred day in Australia to raise money for political purposes.
Speaker 4: I think that says it all.
Speaker 3: They don't care about Anzac Day. There's no apology in there. There was sorry, we didn't read the room, or or you're right, we shouldn't have done it on Anzac Day because it's a sacred day to one of those who've served our country and given their lives, etc.
Speaker 4: None of that in there because they don't believe it. That's the point.
Speaker 6: And also to pick up on Peter Dutton's point there, this is actually a worry in the event of a minority government because if you have Labor and the Greens, you're going to hear more ridiculous ideas when the Greens try and hijack every day that's important to us, or every cause or anything that represents our values in this country. Well, here is your proof that this is exactly what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're wondering what's gone wrong with the Greens, why do they seem to be so mad, maybe it's all due to climate change. Check out this headline from our own ABC. They're reporting, quote, rising temperatures could cause a surge in mental health disorders, with young Australians most at risk. And this article is based on a study by the University of Adelaide which predicts mental disorders in this country could increase by fifty percent over the next two decades as temperatures rise due to man induced climate change. They're predicting everything from mild distress to can you believe it? Schizophrenia will be on the increase because days will be hotter. Here's one young person who gives evidence to the fact that it's not higher temperatures that are causing mental health issues. It's the constant fear of climate change that is doing it. The ab are more responsible, I would suggest than rising temperatures.
Speaker 2: Have I listened to this girl.
Speaker 7: I have experienced eco anxiety since I have been fifteen. I am worried that my future will be full of increased floods, fires, famine, and drought. And I know that the number one driver of that is the continued approval of new coal and gas projects.
Speaker 2: So clearly, this girl, Caleb, is quite troubled.
Speaker 1: But what's troubling her is not that the temperature's risen by a couple of degrees. She's troubled by reports like this in the ABC.
Speaker 3: She was the one that went bunter at Anthony Albernizi's press conference last week when he was announcing more funding for mental health, and her argument was, well, you know, it's because a climate change and mental health's going down the toilet.
Speaker 4: But you're quite right, kids are having their heads.
Speaker 3: Filled with this nonsense in school that the world's going to end tomorrow and you're all going to be burned and you'll burn alive, and there'll be no world for you to have kids in, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. No wonder this thing called they call eco anxiety exists because if you're telling children of primary school age these massive concepts about the world into the future and what they're going to have to live in. I mean, you know, it's like telling a kid, ah, well, mummy and daddy have lost their jobs and you'll be homeless.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: I mean you can imagine what a nine year old is going to think and how they're going to react to that.
Speaker 4: They're going to need a change of underwear.
Speaker 3: And that's essentially what is happening in schools every day at the moment.
Speaker 4: So, no wonder it leads to.
Speaker 3: Increases in bad mental health.
Speaker 4: But this study is buncome.
Speaker 3: I mean, please, what they have done here is committed the sin of thinking that correlation equals causation, because the way they've done it is to look at the burden of mental health in different locations around the country, and by their methodology, burden is how bad mental health issues are and what that means to the health system, etc. And they have found that in places that have generally hotter temperatures like arn and Adelaide and Melbourne, et cetera, where they have hot, dry summers, of course they have higher burdens of mental health. And so they've decided that that somehow means that higher temperatures are what cause ill mental health, and so it will continue into the future. I mean, it's got to be one of the worst pieces of academic work I've seen in a long term.
Speaker 5: It truly is a shocker. But I agree with you.
Speaker 6: I think it is absolutely indoctrination from a younger age, but also the young people these days, these kids, they're being brainwashed by people like Greta Thunberg. And you see all the Rising Tide protesters like the one we just saw, the ones over in the UK or the US, you know, and they chain themselves to things, and these kids go, Wow, what a fantastic cause this is. But then on the other hand, you know, the other problem here we've got is if you try to say go about your day, go about your business, We'll get this. You're going to go to the hairdresser. You ask for a cut, a blow dry, you ask for whatever, and guess what you could be served up with a slice of climate change?
Speaker 5: Right, slice of climate change? Because now a brush with.
Speaker 6: Climate this is what it's called. It is a movement that started here in Sydney of Australia where a salon owner basically gives you a little bit of a lecture, a bit of history into climate change while cutting your hair, while shampooing your hair. I guess guide you through it and give you the key details about what you need to know about climate change, just in case you're really interested while you're sitting there.
Speaker 5: I mean, please, seriously, this.
Speaker 6: Is just another joke when people try and butt themselves into your issues.
Speaker 5: I don't know about yout. I don't know how long you two spend it the hairdresser.
Speaker 6: Bite a while, I think, But listen, if my hairdresser started lecturing me about climate change while blow drying my hair, I would grab that blow dry, blow it in their face and say this is what a hot summer's day in Sydney feels life.
Speaker 5: So please leave me alone.
Speaker 1: No disrespect to hairdressers, but do you really regard your hairdresser as the Authority on climate change and all of that sort of issue that the Irish Department of Education is spending one hundred and twelve thousand dollars on grants to train hairdressers not to cut your hair, but to talk to you about how best to reduce your emissions in a bid to save the planet. It's a good reason to I reckon grow your hair out, Caleb.
Speaker 3: Well, well, good luck to you, James on that instead. I mean, look, you know, and I've got a serious bloody bit of hair on top of my head. Times you go to the hairdresser quite frequently. She's never once tried to talk to me about climate change.
Speaker 10: Things she wouldn't want to exactly, But you know, I go to my hairdresser to talk about trivial things like married at first sight, or to get the gossip.
Speaker 3: I mean, hairdresses are great people to get gossip out of it. It's like taxi drivers because they see that many people in the day who spill the gats about all sorts of things. You learned some serious things when you talk to a hairdresser, but climate change probably isn't on my list. And you might even be going to the hair dress and they'll start telling you how bad your dog is too. Because another study again out of Australia. What is it with all of these things emanating out of Australia at the studies about how mental ill mental health is caused by climate change, all this business about being told by the person the salon that climate change is bad. Now there's a study out of Australia saying that dogs are bad for the environment. Because of course they've been saying this about cats for a long time, and you know, they go out and kill native animals and all this sort of thing. My two little fellas don't do that because they're hold.
Speaker 4: Up in an apartment.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure if that's good for their mental health actually, but we'll come to that later. But they've done a study now here in Australia. This was in the Pacific Conservation Biology Journal, and I'm sure you're all reading that at home by bed light before you go to sleep after you've watched the Late Debate every night. But they say that dogs are indeed bad for the environment on basically every metric, including the production of pet food. Apparently the dry pet food industry has an environmental footprint of a tree double the size of.
Speaker 4: The United Kingdom.
Speaker 3: So you know, if you've got a perch at home, you are destroying the environment. And I'm wondering how all the lefties are going to come to terms with this, because of course a lot of young lefties in particular now who won't have kids because they're worried about the climate, they have dogs instead, and they call them their fur babies, and yeah, fuss over them as though they were children.
Speaker 4: All of these people are now going to go and have to take their dogs to the pound.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, firstly, I think it's worth pointing out and I think this tells you everything you need to know actually about this research. It was actually according to an Australian review of other environmental reviews, so it's just this being giant environmental review tells you everything you need to know. I would would say, though, probably the only thing, the one little thing I would agree with from this review.
Speaker 5: It says that one of the advices make sure you pick up your dogs well, and I would agree with that.
Speaker 6: I would absolutely agree with that. But the other thing that the reviews said was that lacks uninformed dog owners are to blame as well for the environmental crisis facing dogs, and a simple way to mitigate against the worst impacts was to keep dogs leased in areas where restrictions do apply.
Speaker 5: Look, I actually think yeah, but I think that's fair enough.
Speaker 6: I hate seeing dogs off leads in places where they should be on a leads, so I would.
Speaker 5: Agree with that. But the rest of it.
Speaker 6: Once again, the left just trying to be a kill joy and now.
Speaker 5: Trying to steal man's best friend as well. You hate everything.
Speaker 3: This is peakcat lady journalism as long as they leave greyhound racing alone.
Speaker 2: It was publishing the Mother Jones Journal.
Speaker 1: Whatever you think of dogs, they're smart enough not to read Mother Jones. Let's go to New South Wales where earlier this month the New South Wales labor government introduced anti conversion laws that make it a criminal offense to try to change or suppress someone's sexuality, even through prayer or counseling that that person has requested. The Antidiscrimination Commission here in New South Wales says praying with a person with the intent to change or suppress their sexuality or gender identity is now a criminal offense and could lead to prosecution. Now a number of church ministers in the state have written an open letter to the government saying, in our churches we seek to honor God by welcoming and serving people from all backgrounds, including those who experienced same sex attraction or gender dysphoria. We always aim to do so with love, gentleness, and respect, and we utterly reject the use of any form of coercion or control. The open letter goes on to say that these ministers and members of Christian churches want to obey the government, want to be good citizens, but cannot and will not comply with this law.
Speaker 2: Now, the issue here at Denika.
Speaker 1: Whatever you think about sexuality and gen put those things just to the side for a moment. Does the government have the right to tell you what you can and cannot pray for? That's the issue here. It's not an issue about sexuality or gender. It's really an issue about where does the line between what the government can mandate regarding how.
Speaker 2: You live your life.
Speaker 1: This goes way beyond that to what you can even think in your private thoughts and how you even speak to God himself.
Speaker 5: Well, how do you police that?
Speaker 6: This is the problem here, because my concern is obviously, as you said, freedom of religion.
Speaker 5: But also freedom of conscience.
Speaker 6: Because you don't know what goes and goes on in people's heads. And then what happens then you go to say a pastor or you go to a minister and you say, you know, I'm having all these thoughts, what should I do?
Speaker 5: And then that religious figure gives you advice?
Speaker 6: And then what under these laws? Then are they going to be thrown into jail? Could they be fine?
Speaker 5: They should? They have a conviction. And that's the problem here.
Speaker 6: If you're a parent and you've got a child who's confused and you don't know where to go, and you naturally turn to religion, then what happens there? Look, I will say this, I think conversion therapy is you know, going back, particularly thirty decades ago, it was.
Speaker 5: Really really horrific, and I don't think that we should take that lightly.
Speaker 6: And I'm not saying that at all, and you know, I don't support it, but I worry about how far this legislation actually goes. And then the other issue is is gender affirming care here. I mean, this is such a big issue right now here in this country. We should be actually looking at banning that.
Speaker 5: But what happens there? Then?
Speaker 1: What this legislation, does Caleb, Is it replaces Christian teaching with a new state based religion.
Speaker 2: Does it not?
Speaker 1: Because essentially we're dealing now with belief. Some people believe certain things and lifestyles are perfectly fine and normal. Other people have a different view. Is that the government's role to tell you what you can and cannot believe?
Speaker 4: But of course not, I mean, and you can't change it.
Speaker 1: The Catholic New South Wales premier has supported this legislation.
Speaker 3: You can't change what people believe, and you know, to make a conflation with sexuality, you know, I thought we were all a gung ho on consent these days.
Speaker 4: But it's illegal if.
Speaker 3: Someone comes to you and you've been a pastor, so if one of your parishioners came to you and said, you know, I think i'm gay and I'm struggling with my sexuality and I don't want to be gay, and I want you to pray for me, it is illegal for you to do so. Someone has asked you to do it, and that is.
Speaker 4: Illegal under this law.
Speaker 3: One of the examples that is given by the Equality Commissioner, Anti Discrimination Commissioner whatever they called in New South Wales is that advising a gay person to be celibate would be a contravention of this law. I thought it was a pretty well known thing in most areas of Christianity that you're celibate until you're married anyway, so you can't now go around talking about what is pretty clear Christian doctrine. And the one that worries me the most is the business around gender ideology or gender identity, because there are carve outs in these laws that allow healthcare professionals to talk to people who have issues with gender identity, but when you read what they're talking about, it doesn't actually give them a way to talk about, well, I don't think you are actually having a problem with your gender identity. It says that you can advise people of the dangers of going down the road of gender affirming care and the side effects of having a sex change surgery or puberty blockers or whatever it is, But there doesn't appear to be a carve out anywhere that allows someone to say, I think this is not an issue of gender dysphoria. I think this is an issue of other mental health disorders that are now leading you.
Speaker 4: To feel this way.
Speaker 3: If a healthcare professional psychologist or a psychiatrist can no longer legally have those conversations with someone in New South Wales sitting up a situation where gender affirming care is now compulsory by law, and that is dangerous and insane.
Speaker 6: But also it actually opens up young people and teenagers to more and more mental health problems and more confusion at that, and it actually opens a real can of worms. And I'm just really concerned that we've seen it with hate speech laws as well. It's just this constant blocking of the freedoms that I think we enjoy we when to be enjoying in this country, and it's blocking freedom of speech essentially.
Speaker 1: Before we get this is not a religious issue, it's than that.
Speaker 2: A sexuality issue.
Speaker 1: It's an issue of are people free to speak as they feel, believe as they are directed by their own conscience, rather than being told by the government what they can and cannot believe and say about essential aspects of human life.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, very quickly, before we get to a break, these money grubbing counsels, they are added again, this time in Sydney. Two seaside councils, the Mossman and Northern Beaches Councils, are cutting crook because the state government has told them that they should give free parking to renters by the beach. Currently, these councils only give free parking at the beach to people who pay the rates. But the state government says, well, the renters are living in your suburbs as well and supporting the local businesses and all this kind of thing, and they're giving the money to the people who pay the rates so they can pay the rate, So why shouldn't.
Speaker 4: They have free parking as well? Well?
Speaker 3: Can you imagine the councils don't like the sound of that because it might deprive them of some revenue.
Speaker 4: This is in the Daily Telegraph today.
Speaker 3: They say Mossman Council, which rakes in three million dollars in annual parking revenue, claims the changes could upset the quote delicate and accepted balance achieved around parking in high demand locations. I mean, for goodness sake, they reckon they're going to lose five hundred k if they let the renters park there for free. If you live there, why shouldn't you be able to park for free?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I completely agree with you, I absolutely agree.
Speaker 6: And the problem the worry about this though is it could go to the actual owners of the property. The owners don't even live in there. The owners don't live there, the landlords. It needs to make sure it goes to the renters.
Speaker 5: If that's the.
Speaker 1: Case, does that then make the parking permit an asset that potentially you would sell on it.
Speaker 3: It already is that people are selling on Facebook marketplace, like the slips that you can put in your window to get the free packing.
Speaker 4: It already is an asset.
Speaker 3: So if that's their argument, that that one's already gone out the window, I mean, for goodness sake, either charge everyone or no one. As far as I'm going to make all the parking free, Agraham, I don't want them to have any.
Speaker 1: Imagine the council wanting to do things that actually made residents lifess here and who would have thought an amazing thing that would be. We're going to go to a break. When we come back, we look at what's making news tomorrow, including the reserve back saying another rate cut is not needed right now because if you've got a mortgage, well you're doing absolutely fine.
Speaker 2: Talk about that. Welcome back. Let's take a look at what's making news tomorrow.
Speaker 1: We'll start with the Daily Telegraph and a story that's been fairly big throughout the day Putin on a blitz in our backyard question mark reads the headline. Indonesia has assured Australia that reports Russia is planning to base long range aircraft at one of their military facilities just fourteen hundred kilometers from Darwin are incorrect. Last night, Defense Minister Richard Males said the reports of the prospect of Russian aircraft operating from Indonesia are simply not true. However, mister Miles has so far not ruled out whether or not the Russian government had made an approach to the Indonesians. Obviously, if this story reported in a military journal was true, it would be a massive concern for Australia and a massive problem for the Labor government, already perceived as weak on national security just three weeks out from an election. The claim is not without some support that would make it plausible. Indonesia recently conducted military exercises in Indonesian waters with Russian warships, and of course they're president after being elected, within a couple of months went to visit Vladimir Putin, and another visit is planned for June. The other issue here is, Okay, let's imagine there will be no base in Indonesia for Russian aircraft. Is that to say there won't be increased access for Russian military assets much as Australia allows access to US vessels, for instance, that would be just as much a concern. So even though Indonesia have said, look, it's not happening, I think it's still a live issue for Australia because clearly Indonesia and Russia are cozying up more than they have done ever before.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, and I think this is the first time we've really heard perhaps the extent to which Indonesia is indeed CosIng up.
Speaker 5: More than ever before.
Speaker 6: But what I think at once again highlights is are we ready and are we prepared in this country? Is defense ready in the event that, for example, something like this does indeed happen.
Speaker 5: It was only a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 6: You remember that the Chinese were conducting those live fire drills off the coast of Australia. Labor didn't know anything about it, Labor Miles, you know, nobody knew anything that was going on. Virgin Virgin well except sorry, the Virgin airline pilots, Thank goodness for them, they knew.
Speaker 5: But it's another example.
Speaker 6: This is another example of what's going on very potentially close in our backyard, and are we prepared in this country for the event if possible.
Speaker 3: Well, well, the obvious answer is we're not. And I'll take Indonesia at face value that they're not going to allow this to happen. But I do think we need to get to the bottom of the question of whether Russia made those overtures. I'm glad Indonesia sees that it won't be happening, but if indeed Russia has made that request and it's been knocked back, I think that ought to become a large part of the negotiations to try to end the war in Ukraine because it puts another perspective on the way Rassia is operating, because that's far that of course, has been a war and a military task that's going on on the other side of the world.
Speaker 4: But when you've got Russia.
Speaker 3: Potentially saying that they want to start muscling in on territory much closer to us down here in Australia, that has just become part of the discussion because if they want to move beyond the borders of the old Soviet Union.
Speaker 4: That's a very different Say.
Speaker 5: Where does that leave Donald Trump? And what would Donald Trump say about that?
Speaker 1: Well, the other thing with this is Australian need to face the fact if you are going to leave your country pretty much defenseless, really be surprised when major powers start to move into the region.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: Correct, And that goes to the point earlier. Are we really prepared.
Speaker 6: Let's move on now to the Australian. A couple of stories on the front page tomorrow. We'll start with the first one, doctors versus PM three for every GP visit a fantasy Labour's fly bag ship eight point six billion dollar election policy promising Australians won't need a credit card to see the doctor has sparked a growing backlash from GPS and medical leaders, who insist many doctors won't make the switch and not all patients.
Speaker 5: Will be bulk billed. Now, look, this.
Speaker 6: Is fascinating to me, guys, because Anthony Albernizi has made.
Speaker 5: His entire election pitch solely on.
Speaker 6: The fact that he grabs his Medicare card. Waves it about so flippantly here and there. But this story actually contradicts that they're saying no, Hang on a second, that whole lie of a policy. We cannot support it. And we knew that this was going to be the case. There was never going to be any cuts to medicare as they keep peddling.
Speaker 5: But clearly it is indeed a fantasy.
Speaker 1: The PM says, free doctors appointments. Doctors say no, it's not happening. So I guess voters will have to work out who do they believe.
Speaker 4: Bulk billing rates have plummeted under this government? Why would they turn around overnight? Pretty straightforward.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely. Let's look at the other one. On the front page.
Speaker 6: Native Title Failed puts big projects on hold. It says that Per's new airport, runway and developments on the holiday island of Rottenest are among billions of dollars worth of projects and government works facing delays after the Aboriginal corporation, recognized for its cultural heritage work across the metropolitan area imploded.
Speaker 5: This is the Wajak Aboriginal Corporation.
Speaker 6: The representative has been cut off from the money that flows from Australia's biggest Native title sediment following months of turmoil. Well well, here we go again. Now now Rottenest right nest one of the beautiful places of a proud West Australia.
Speaker 5: Myself, love Rotto, Here we go again.
Speaker 3: They really need to take a good look at these Aboriginal land corporations because they operate under completely different corporate structure to the rest.
Speaker 4: Of corporate Australia.
Speaker 3: And if you've ever tried to read the annual reports of these outfits, and I have, they are very murky. It's quite unclear where all of this money actually goes. It just seems like a great, big Ponzi scheme and sothing needs to.
Speaker 4: Be done about it.
Speaker 1: Major infrastructure cannot go ahead until corporations does this give the go ahead. You've got a runway waiting to be built in Perth being held up because of arguments over finances and who is the chair of the Aboriginal corporation. Until that gets sorted, Perth commuters have to live without that needed runway exactly.
Speaker 6: And finally, Climate donors Slave labor Links, a labor link to climate charity has been receiving thousands of dollars from clean energy firm backed listed in the United States over concerns they use slave labor with the Greens Lobby Group and it's senior advisor Simon Holmes a court having visited a Chinese company accused of forced labor practices.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean this is this is hell not a good look.
Speaker 1: You would think if you're going to destroy the environment with solar farms and wind turbines, what's a bit.
Speaker 2: Of child slave it's all for.
Speaker 5: It's all a bit of fun and games.
Speaker 3: Let's go to the front of the courier mail to borrow. We're speaking of not so cheap products. It's his rate cuts off because Reserve banks is you're all doing fine, as young mister Grace to saying are you being served? You're all doing very well, Thank you Reserve Bank, because it says here the Reserve Bank has put off any more interest rate relief because it's his homeowners are managing to find ways to meet their extra repayments. According to the latest release of the RBA's Minutes of Monetary Policy, a rate cut was not even discussed at its last meeting, chaired by Governor Michelle Bullock. They think that household budgets are actually in good shape thanks to lower taxas, higher wages and falling inflation, and of course the cut we got in February. That may well be the case on paper, but I suspect people are having to meet their increased repayments because whether if you want a roof over your head, what the hell else you're going to do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is from the same RBA governor who only a couple of months ago that says that people will really be struggling.
Speaker 5: In the near future.
Speaker 6: We'll have to start digging into their savings accounts. So yeah, I do not believe this one at all.
Speaker 5: I mean, there is an election around the corner. That's all I can say there is.
Speaker 1: We're going to go to a break when we come back. Katy Perry returns to Earth from Space Odyssey. They'll tell you what when you listen to her, her head is still very much in the clouds.
Speaker 2: It's coming up.
Speaker 1: Some welcome back. Well, Danika, Katy Perry has returned to Earth.
Speaker 2: Or has she?
Speaker 5: Oh she has a baby. You're a firework, she says. I tried to.
Speaker 6: Get into Katy Perry round, Thank you, thank you. But look, basically, as you can see here, there was a crew that went up for an eleven minute trip to space on Jeffrey Bezos's Blue Origin spaceship. One of them was Katie Perry, also his girlfriend Laurence Sanchez. But this moment from Katie Perry, well, look here we go.
Speaker 5: Please, let's play it. Where are my babies over?
Speaker 6: Here?
Speaker 5: Go here? I left? Go there? Okay, Jadie who.
Speaker 6: Now, as a woman, I certainly do not feel inspired nor empowered looking at that vision.
Speaker 1: Not just say that's me every time I get off a Jetstar flight.
Speaker 6: That is you actually waste of the time, to be honest, James. But so they've landed, they've done this performance theater you just got. You just wonder how you actually okay? But Katy Perry, look is she okay?
Speaker 5: How do you feel?
Speaker 11: I feel super connected to love, so connected to love. I think this experience has shown me you never know how much love is inside of you. Dass are common flowers, but they grow through any condition. They go through cements, they go through cracks.
Speaker 5: They go through walls.
Speaker 11: They are resilient.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that eleven minute space trip has gone to her head.
Speaker 1: Clearly, say Katie Perry is a space cadect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't know they did love bottom he's up there, But I'd say she didn't go out with a row.
Speaker 4: That's another We've been out with a whimper in this case.
Speaker 3: Now, you know I love to complain about councils. We did a council story earlier in the show, but we're going to end the show on a council story tonight, except this one's not in Australia. If you thought your council was bad here in Australia, spirit thought for the people of Birmingham where the rubbish men have gone on strike. They've been on strike for six weeks or so now, or just over a month. They went on strike on the eleventh of March and the rubbish is now just piling up on the streets of Birmingham.
Speaker 4: No one has picked this stuff up since.
Speaker 3: The eleventh of March, and it is so bad that they've now called in the military. Now, Unfortunately, you're not going to see any soldiers rocking up to take the rubbish away. They've somehow managed the government to get a small number of office based planners to provide logistical support for a short time.
Speaker 2: They're going to head out masks.
Speaker 3: What the hell can't just get a working beat and get people to go and send this stuff somewhere like Heaven's like, how hard can it be? Imagine a smell I know, and the fact that they've let it happen for all this time.
Speaker 1: I should say, our producers a britt he reckons it's even worse than those images portrayed.
Speaker 2: That's it from us.
Speaker 1: Stick Around coming up because they read a penny show, good Night,