Speaker 1: It's the most annoying trait that I have is when I don't hear what someone says, I go, huh.
Speaker 2: I My brother goes, pardon, Pardon's nice, yeah, but the way he says it that he's like, pardon.
Speaker 1: Where's Your Head At is a podcast that talks all things relationships, breakups, reality TV, trending shows, and everything in between.
Speaker 2: This is your new go to destination for laughs, gossip, intimate details, advice, and much more. Hello, Hi, welcome Anna to another episode of Where's Your Head At? Where is Your Head At?
Speaker 3: My head is at?
Speaker 2: Look at this The red nails theory? Actually, I posted on our Facebook page. I noticed that Tammy had her nails painted red but watching a movie and I looked over at her and I was like, oh, you've got red nails.
Speaker 3: I noticed, And what did the red nails do for you?
Speaker 2: Ah? The red nails didn't really get me going, but like, I mean, I just noticed him. At least, you know what I.
Speaker 1: Do you reckon that she heard the episode and then got her nails red to test the theory?
Speaker 2: That is actually probably a pretty good point. Do you reckon? Is that what you did?
Speaker 1: Well? I said on the last episode I was like, I'm gonna get my nails painted red. But then I went to the nail salon and I was like, oh, do I really want to have red nails? Because red nails is such it's a statement, like it's very in your face, but it's also quite chic, which I'm kind of loving at the moment. But I'm very neutral with my nails. So I didn't do it, and I was like, should I just get my toenails painted red? And then I was like, I think that kind of defeats the purpose of the red nail theory. So then, anyway, I've committed to the podcast. This is my show of commitment to you guys. Did Michael notice, Well, he didn't really say anything, and then I was like, do you like my nails? And he's like, oh, is that from the podcast?
Speaker 3: So he kind of yeah. He kind of knew about the theory because he listened to the episode.
Speaker 2: Well, Emma sent two hour Where's your Head said red nails. I work at a very luxious hotel, and I can one hundred percent confirm the red nail theory. I often have fun nails crazy colors, but one time I choose bright red. I would say, around twenty different men customers. Even the chef's notice to all single ladies paint your nails red and hang out in hotel lobbies.
Speaker 1: Wow, so she that's pretty big plug for red nails.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go to a hotel lobby with your nails read plug.
Speaker 3: What'd you say?
Speaker 2: Go to a hotel lobby with your nails painted red? Apparently you'll find you the man of your dreams or you'll get attention.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I actually just noticed myself saying to you, like when I couldn't hear what you were saying, I was like huh. And Michael has been pulling me up on that recently. Apparently it's the most annoying trait that I have is when I don't hear what someone says, I go huh.
Speaker 2: My brother goes pardon, pardon, and then like nice. Yeah, but the way he says it that he's like pardon. And then I've noticed as well. Tabby's kids say what did you say? What did you say? Like I noticed when people say that nice. Yeah. I know. I'm not saying it's not bad. I just don't know what I say. What do I say? When someone? I think, I say what? What?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: What is apparently rude because what I do is rude. I mean, what is a polite thing to say?
Speaker 3: Excuse me?
Speaker 2: Can you please repeat that?
Speaker 3: Excuse me? Excuse me? Would you repeat that?
Speaker 1: I think I say, I don't know, but anyway, I'm apparently annoying Michael with saying that, So I'm really trying to catch myself.
Speaker 3: And I noticed I did it then, so I'm obviously not doing a good.
Speaker 2: Job of that. I also think you should focus on not saying like as much. I know that you do say that like like a lot.
Speaker 1: I know, me saying lie is my number one pet peeve about myself. So when Michael's is me going huh, minds is that?
Speaker 3: I say like?
Speaker 1: And I know exactly why I do it. It's because I used to go to school in America and all of the kids there say like in every second word, or at least at the school I went to, they did, and my parents used to pull me up on it. And I don't know what it is if it's like I and I know when I do it as well, when I don't know what I'm talking about, I say like as kind of an um to kind of give me more time to think about what I'm.
Speaker 3: Trying to say.
Speaker 1: It's it's such a bad habit to the point that I feel like I need to go to speech therapy or something to help me stop saying it.
Speaker 2: It's funny you say that. Do you know the wrestler Rick Flair. He's a Matt fact for you idea continue, Well, he's famous for going whoo wooh. He says that all the time he started when he was doing like wrestling promos, like walking on the microphone, when he didn't know what to say, he'd just yell out woo. He'd be like whoo to like think about what he was going to say next, and it ended up becoming his gimmick and he stick like he made millions of dollars off saying woo. So maybe you cannot like.
Speaker 3: I need, I need, I need to switch out like for something else.
Speaker 1: Guys, if I if there's a word that I can switch it out for, let me know on the Facebook page. I really need to at thirty two years old. It's not cute, you know, like, oh I did it.
Speaker 3: Oh, now I'm going to be super self conscious of it.
Speaker 1: You know what we need to do actually on this podcast, when I start saying like you need to say something to pull.
Speaker 3: Me up on it.
Speaker 2: Like time, you can get a time out and not talk for a couple of minutes, So just let me ramble on.
Speaker 3: You can just like turn out.
Speaker 2: I don't know, we'll find something. Let's ask everyone what you can do, what your punishment can be if you say, like, what.
Speaker 3: Should Matt say?
Speaker 1: Even if I'm mid conversation and I say, like too many times, you need to just call something out and let's let's kick this habit.
Speaker 3: I'm done with it. I don't want to say it anymore. I give you something that gin.
Speaker 2: Something I don't like to say either is things and stuff. When I'm explaining something.
Speaker 1: You always that is your worst habit. So I don't know if you guys from listening to the podcast a lot have noticed this. But Matt he'll be explaining something and if he doesn't know the word, so say, for instance, he's talking about Packfair shopping center, He'll be like, I went.
Speaker 3: To thing and I'm like, what is thing? Yeah, I've just said like twice I can't even do it.
Speaker 2: Well, do you have a turn on for this week? Anna?
Speaker 1: Yes? So my turn on of the week is obviously that the red nail theory I think has worked. But I have another one, and that is that it is World Sepsis Day this Friday, the thirteenth. I am a Sepsis ambassador. As you guys know, I've spoken about it a lot on the podcast. I had sepsis this time last year, nearly died. Yeah, I almost died. It was very, very scary. I didn't really know what sepsis was. So we have a professor actually coming onto the show to talk about the signs and symptoms so that you guys can be aware if you're getting any of those symptoms. And I think it's also just important to bring awareness to sepsis, to kind of really talk about what it is, what you can look out for. Because when I did the and I haven't spoken about this yet, but I was a part of the Sepsis campaign and I got to talk to other sepsist survivors throughout that and a lot of our symptoms were similar, and a lot of it is preventable. Not all sepsist cases are preventable, but a lot of it is. At the time, as you know, we had our live show, I was launching Goldie B So I was like, I don't have time to be sick. I'm you know, I'm go, go go. So I got antibiotics. They were there, wrong hand biotics. I was progressively getting sicker, the pain in my side. I was fully ignoring it because I was like, I need to launch this business and at the end of the day health is well. So we really want you guys to learn something. So we have Professor sam Jaya coming on very soon and hopefully we can spread more awareness about it.
Speaker 2: That' see idea. I know, I know, I've got to do your challenge, say the tongue twister three times yes, and.
Speaker 1: Then the Stepsist challenge and you basically have to say, I'm Stepsis susceptible and susceptible to sepsis and I've nominated mat and I am still awaiting the video to go live.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't realize it. Everyone, Yeah, I didn't realize I actually had to do it. You asked me if I wanted to do it, and I was like, yeah, sure, and then you like message me and chasing me down for it, and I was like, oh.
Speaker 3: I really takes you down for your kidding. You're actually kidding. I said it once.
Speaker 2: Hello on my phone all the time.
Speaker 3: Matt's like, I thought it was only a story. I'm like, you're one of my best friends.
Speaker 1: Like, if you can't do it, how are we going to ever spread awareness?
Speaker 2: This is true. I'll do it. I'll get something to you. I'll give it a go. I'm actually nervous. I don't know if I can actually string it together. I can't even say, like, I can't even form a normal sentence, let alone a tongue twister. Gee is put me on the spot.
Speaker 3: Do you have a turn on of the week?
Speaker 2: I do. So. The NFL season is back, which means fantasy football is back. So anyone who doesn't know what fantasy football is, best way to explain it is, let me get this straight. It's real players that play real games. Well, it's real players that play a real game for fake points in a fake league with your real mates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's something that you just love.
Speaker 2: I do like, well, it brings like twelve of the boys all together and we like just have a group chat just ripping each other about it. You draft your team, so oh, so I actually the boys. I flew down to Melbourne for the day to surprise them for the draft night. So I wasn't going to go, and I said, I'll just sue me and you guys can just auto draft my team. But then the commissioner called me and he said, hey, we have like we normally get like a cameo to read out the list of order of what we draft.
Speaker 3: And he was put even by a cameo. So you know cameo, how you well, like a celebrity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we get like a pollen star or an next NFL player to like read out the list. Yeah, the boys will get around it. And he's like, hey, we've got a budget of five hundred bucks. So he's like, instead of getting a cameo, how about you do the cameo and we pay for your ticket to come down and you surprise them. So timing was perfect. Yeah, the boys came in. It was just like the boys got around it and it was perfect. It was Yeah. I loved it and then flew out the next day drafted a good team. But I think I'm going to lose Week one, which sucks.
Speaker 3: You missed the best part though. Matt literally was the cameo. He did the video.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I did the video so I was a surprise there.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, so I did the video and then I was like, all right, boys, like I love ya, I'm gonna have to like love you and leave your draft me a good team. Don't let I said one of the boys draft you know, just ripped the boys. And then I said, but I have a surprise for your commish. Can you open the door? And then I came in with two points to two jugs of beer and I was like, here we go, boys, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's actually the best. And they didn't expect you to be there.
Speaker 2: No, I was in Sydney the night before, so I was posting that I was still in Sydney on my Instagram, So they had no idea. They didn't think I was going to be in Melbourne.
Speaker 3: You tricked them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was pretty good.
Speaker 3: Do you have an ick of the Week?
Speaker 2: I do? Actually, so I'm sucks. Tammy's going on a She's got a retreat. So if anyone wants to go on Tammy's retreat tickets I think there's a couple still available, but I'm not going. I was meant to go with her, but work's too busy. I can't. I can't get out of here, which would have been grease twice in one year would have been a bit much, but I would have loved to have gone a lot. It's a lot. Yeah, so I'm just going to miss it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: We haven't been away for a week ever since we first started dating, well over a year. Really no, I mean, like we did long distance, but what like three days here, four days there? If that, like it was maybe three days top, so we were away from each other. We always just made it work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does suck being away from your partner, but I do think that it's right that absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Speaker 2: Really sure just makes I think, it just makes me angry. I just want to cuddle. Anxious, anxious, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sad, anxious, rocking yourself sleep at night.
Speaker 2: Do you have a turn off?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So mine is. I don't know. I think this is like silly and ridiculous.
Speaker 1: And while most of them I've been about to say this, I think it's you know, stupid. But in my bathroom there's a light flickering. And I said to Michael, like, I think there's a demon in this house because every time I go to toilet now it's like flickering. It's freaking me out. It's scary. Anyway, last night I had this dream and there was a demon like right beside me. Keeping in mind, as you know, I hate horror movies. I don't watch them, and I don't have bad dreams really because I'm not putting any sort of negative external shows into my brain.
Speaker 3: But I'm dreaming of a demon. So now I'm like, I think there's a demon in the house.
Speaker 2: Why do you like a seance or something.
Speaker 1: I'm literally after this podcast, I'm going to the market and I'm gonna buy some sage and I'm gonna sage the fuck out of my house and cleanse the safe because there's.
Speaker 3: A demon just getting into my brain.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that? Do you remember that X I had that would sage your house all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she saved your mind to her think. Okay, Matt, well, it was great to catch out with you.
Speaker 1: In honor of World Sepsist, Let's now talk to Professor sand Jaya about all things sepsis and how you can look out for the signs and symptoms. Matt, we are joined by Professor Sanjaya. He is a physician at the Infectious Disease Unit at Canberra Hospital.
Speaker 2: Hi Hi, Hannah Hi Matt, how are you, hey, mate, welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 1: We're super excited to have you on the podcast to help spread awareness about sepsis. I had sepsis this time last year actually, and I ended up in the Infectious Disease Unit at the Alfred And it is World Sepsis Day this Friday, the thirteenth, so we thought that we'd have you on to share with our listeners some signs and symptoms, even to kind of explain what sepsis is, because only sixty one percent of Australians know what sepsis is. So can you kind of give us an outline of what sepsis actually is?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so Anna a met. Everyone has heard of infections, whether they're skin infections, utiys urinary tract infections, meningitis, pneumonia, Everyone's heard of those things. Now, sepsis is a particular condition. It's when you have an infection and your body responds with inflammation to fight the infection that ends up being harmful to your body. It can affect multiple organs and you can even die.
Speaker 2: So your body is fighting the infection and by doing that, it's actually putting your body in more strife. Are you saying, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: So we've got this amazing immune system that's evolved over thousands of years to protect us, and often it will we'll just get a you know, you'll be outside, you'll cut yourself outside, and that heals without a problem. You don't need antibiotics and you're fine. That's because you've got a healthy immune system that stops the infection getting out of control. But sometimes infections do get out of control and we need our immune system to fight it. And sometimes it does that in a sort of reasonable response, but occasionally it can get so aggressive that it can start to harm our insights, so our organs, our brains, our kidneys, our hearts, our lungs, and that's when you get sepsis. And if we don't treat sepsis quickly, then it can have a very bad outcome.
Speaker 1: It's actually very interesting hearing you give the definition, because I think that there are some misconceptions about the definition of sepsis. I know, for me, I've described it before as an infection that gets into the blood, and I've heard other people kind of describe it this way, but that's not exactly correct.
Speaker 3: Is that true?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And no, no, you're quite right, and it's not just non medical or non healthcare people who who feel that way. There are people in the healthcare industry who also also believe that. But the reality is this and infection, it doesn't have to get into the blood. It's just your immune response to that infection that can cause harm. And there's certainly a proportion of people who have sepsis due to a serious infection that don't have it in the blood.
Speaker 1: I mean, when I had sepsis, I feel like it all happens so quickly. I went from being, you know, working pretty well, and within an instant I was in emergency and in quite a lot of pain. What makes sepsis particularly dangerous for Australians, I.
Speaker 4: Think part of it you've described really well. It can come upon you really quickly. In many ways, it's like a heart attack. We're all really well trained to know about heart attacks. If you get this dull chest pain in the middle of your chest, maybe pain down your arm, you get sweaty, you go to hospital because you know if you don't, if you having a heart attack and you don't go to hospital quickly, you can die. And that's another thing I should just maybe go on a bit of a tangent to tell you about as a medical student. So about thirty years ago it was all down to a fine art. When it came to heart attacks, we knew if someone comes to the emergency department with chest pain, we have to immediately get them into a bed, do an ECG, take some blood tests, and if it's looking like a heart attack, we've got to do this, this and this, and that's why now we're so good and in Australia at treating heart attacks. But sepsis is a similar thing. It can come on really quickly and the longer you wait to treat it, the worst the outcome can be. So for every hour that you leave sepsis untreated, that increases your chance of dying by eight percent. So I think, yeah, So I think at both levels sort of as a doctor and as a patient. And there's a lot we don't know about sepsis, so I think that's one part of the problem. Secondly, as you beautifully described, Danna, it can hit you just like that. You can be really well one minute and the next minute you can be feeling awful. So I think there are two things, and it is worth going into hospital and saying I think I could have sepsis. And that's one thing we're trying to promote with World Sepsis Stay this time. It's just saying that anyone could have sepsis, and if you're thinking about it, make sure the doctors and nurses you're talking to are thinking about it.
Speaker 2: Also. Yeah, well I got I got a stomach infection a couple of months ago. Now, when I came back from Bali and I got tested, and what did they say?
Speaker 3: Ana, My infection with markers were really high.
Speaker 1: I told Matt about how when I had sepsis, my infection markers, I think it's called something we're super sky high.
Speaker 2: And then they said I was at risk of getting sepsis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I'm guessing here, Matt, it's probably a blood test called a CRP.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's it. Yeah, that's out.
Speaker 4: Ringing bells here. So CRP it's a protein that's made by our livers, and when we've got any inflammation in our bodies, the CRP can go up. So normally, depending on which lab you use, it's less than five, but in good going setsis it can be one hundred, two hundred, three hundred or even higher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was like nearly three hundred.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's that's that's really high Matt And that does mean that all the parts of your immune system are really ramped up and there's a lot of inflammation in your body, and yeah, that can potentially tip you over intercepsis. So that is sort of one of the markers we use. But we also it's really important to remember that what the patients tell us when they come and see us, the messages and the symptoms they give us, that can be our early warning sign that this could be sepsis.
Speaker 1: If someone's listening to this right now and they want to get a feel for what the symptoms or kind of red flags that they should be looking out for when it comes to sepsis, what would you tell them.
Speaker 4: I would go to the Sepsis Australia site and that's got a whole heap of information. There's information for health professionals and there's information for anyone in the community and it talks through things about the symptoms of sepsis. Now, the symptoms of sepsis can be very nonspecific and you may or may not relate to some of these with your episode of sepsis. So you might get fevers, and chills, and sometimes people get these things called rigors where they just shake and if you look at them, you think they're actually having a seizure. They're shaking so much and so rhythmically, so that it can be that. You can have You can be breathing faster, you can feel your heart going faster. You might have diarrheas like.
Speaker 2: A heart attack.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well exactly. You can be drowsy, you can be confused, you may not be passing urine. They could all be signs of sepsist. So it can be very nonspecific. But you don't feel well, you feel sick and Matt, yeah, it can be like a heart attack. You're quite right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was part of the sepsist campaign that's come out and I actually got to meet a lot of sepsist survivors and I'd never met anyone who had had sepsist before, and it was really interesting hearing people's stories because there were a lot of similarities. I was in the middle of the night, shaking uncontrollably. I went to the bathroom and I looked quite blue in the lips and mouth area, and a lot of the sepsist survivors described similar symptoms and also severe pain. So I mean, yeah, it's just interesting to hear. And when you hear people tell these stories, it is kind of a reminder and if you do get those symptoms, you can kind of do something about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, no, no exactly. And that's all those stories, those commonalities. They're telling you that your immune system has ramped up and it's causing this widespread inflammation that's making you sick. So you didn't just have a typical UTI with there's a bit of burning when you pass urine and you're rushing to the toilet a little bit. This was a whole heap more.
Speaker 3: You knew something was wrong absolutely, Anna.
Speaker 4: Can I ask did you seek medical attention quickly or do you think in retrospect you could have gone earlier.
Speaker 1: Or I think hindsight is twenty twenty and there's definitely things that I could have done and taken it more seriously. So at the time, Matt and I had a podcast live show, so I did a telehealth appointment, didn't get my urine tested. That I think was my first problem. So I was on the wrong antibiotics, which then led it from a UTI into being a kidney infection. I then got back from our live show for the podcast and was launching a business. So my pain in my side was getting progressively worse and worse and worse, and I was pushing it to the side. I kind of had this mentality of I don't have time.
Speaker 3: To be sick.
Speaker 1: I'm too busy for this. I've got my antibiotics, I'll be fine. And by the time I did go back to the hospital and then they told me you have a kidney infection, I got new antibiotics. I went home and by that point I was back in hospital a few hours later because I was had sepsis.
Speaker 2: Essentially with that be more on the doctor's side testing for that, because like, how are you supposed to think that you've got sepsis?
Speaker 1: I ignored a lot of symptoms. I feel like I need to take responsibility.
Speaker 4: No look, no, no, no, certainly, there's no blame involved in this. What this is is education to try and make sure both sides so that the hospital side, we know we're thinking about sepsis, but from the community side, the people think they have sepsis and need to go hospit go to hospital. So that's what this whole process is about. And I think the other thing you've nicely illustrated there, Anna is for a lot of now, the two of you look like very healthy young people, So it's often when you don't have any underlying medical problems and you do feel sicker than usual, you think, oh, look, I'm healthy and young, it can't be that bad. But the reality is anyone can get sepsis. And we've got this Sepsist challenge hashtag Sepsis Challenge tongue twister for World Sepsis Day, which is, I'm sepsis susceptible and susceptible to sepsis, and we're getting lots of different people to say it because we want everyone to know out there that anybody of any age, gender, etc.
Speaker 1: Can get sepsis absolutely and any infection can lead to sepsis. Right, So I think it's important. Like you said, it's not just an old person's disease. I was thirty one when I got it, was very healthy, and yet anyone, anyone can get it. Matt, do you want to have a go at doing the Sepsist challenge tongue twister three times?
Speaker 3: You can?
Speaker 2: I mean I haven't even said sepsis, right chat, So I don't know if I'm going to be able to do it three times.
Speaker 4: No pressure, Matty.
Speaker 2: So it's I am, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's just susceptible and susceptible to sepsis.
Speaker 3: Three times ago.
Speaker 2: I am sepsis susceptible and suceptible to septis. I am sepsis acceptable and sceptible to sepsis is acceptable.
Speaker 4: No, look to be saying it three times in the row. It's hard. I wasn't game it is.
Speaker 2: You don't want to give it a go?
Speaker 3: Give it a go, professor j Oh.
Speaker 4: Look, look I'll give it a go. Okay, no judgment here.
Speaker 3: No judgment.
Speaker 2: You couldn't be worse than me.
Speaker 4: I'm sepsis susceptible and susceptible de scepsis. I'm sepsis susceptible and susceptible decepsis. I'm sepsis susceptible and susceptible decepsis.
Speaker 2: Well done, amazing. I mean, here's a professor, so I can see not even that much of a challenge.
Speaker 3: I had a better chance in you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much, Professor Sanjaya for your insight. I think, like we said, spreading awareness is really going to help save lives and awareness is key in all of this. Do you have a final message that you want to leave our listeners with?
Speaker 4: So, I think we've discussed. We've gone over a lot of ground today, which is wonderful and I really appreciate you having this podcast for World Sepsis Day. I think it's wonderful. My messages are as we've said, we are all susceptible to sepsis. If you don't know anything about sepsis, go to the Sepsis Australia website where you can learn all about it. And as you learn all about it, I'm guarantee you that we and the healthcare side are promoting the message of sepsis. So if you come into hospital worried about sepsis, we'll be there to treat you quick smart.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for your time. We really appreciate you. Thank you, professor, and we know you're extremely busy. Thank you, professor.
Speaker 4: Thanks, it was lovely to meet you.
Speaker 2: Bus Well. That was very interesting Anna to talk to the professor about sepsis. Am I saying that right, I know I didn't get that tongue sepsis. I hope we'll post some links on our socials on the Facebook page and on the way as you had at so people know what to look out for. Very fascinating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was really interesting. I feel like I learned a lot. I'm obviously a Sepsus ambassador and I feel like talking to him it was just so insightful and I think that we can definitely take on what he's saying, and I think spreading awareness is key. So really enjoyed that interview, Matt.
Speaker 2: It was very good. All right, let's call it a daana. That's all we've got time for. I'm in Melbourne Monday, so we've got some records then, so get excited people, we'll be.
Speaker 3: Back together again. All right, Okay, that until next time.
Speaker 2: Bye,