Speaker 1: Live on Sky News. This is Sharry.
Speaker 2: Good Evening will tonight.
Speaker 3: We're standing by for breaking news from President Trump's emergency meeting in the Situation Room.
Speaker 2: The world waits to hear if.
Speaker 3: America will join Israel's fight against Iran. Elin Levy will join me live from Israel, and we'll cross to the Australians Jonni Bashan and Leah Mendes in Tel Aviv. Trump snubs Albanezi in a humiliating move showing just how irrelevant Australia has become under his leadership. Holly Hughes and Broman Bishop will give their view in a moment, And how do Iranians feel about Israel's war on the Islamic Republic or two Iranians will join me on the show this evening. Plus the government accused of using super funds as it's piggybank. Camer Milner and Andrew Caswell will be here later. But first to a dramatic day as Donald Trump quit the G seven in Canada to hold an emergency national security meeting in the Situation Room. Back in Washington, the President signaled he's prepared to join the war, declaring Iran can't have a nuclear weapon. And that Tehran civilians should evacuate. American carriers and aircraft are also being deployed to the Middle East.
Speaker 2: Well. International leaders hope.
Speaker 3: That America and Iran may still return to the negotiating table, but in my view this is increasingly unlikely. Trump is clearly leaning towards backing Israel to finish the job, as he's being urged to do by experienced rational heads. He's clearly impressed with Israel's astonishing operation that's unprecedented this side of World War II, and Israel has now crippled Iran's propaganda arm, killed most senior military leaders, and damage both nuclear and military ballistic missile sites, and Israel continues to press ahead with its offensive. This was the dramatic moment in Israeli missile hit an Iranian state owned media company during a live broadcast.
Speaker 2: Happy Happy Gas at.
Speaker 3: Fay I mean, it's unbelievable. It's unprecedented to see something like it, and that sort of power play is as significant as a political assassination. It's taking back control or trying to of the regime's narrative and trying to empower Iranians to rise up. First, Israel took control of a Iran's air defenses and now Iran's arsenal of missiles are reportedly diminishing after Israel successfully destroyed a third of its launchers. Israel has also taken out a growing number of its top military commanders and nuclear scientists. They include these figures, Major General Muhammad Bagheri, General Hussein Salami, nuclear scientist Feriduna Basi, top military commander Ali Shadmani intelligence chief Mohammad Kazmi. And it now seems that Supreme Leader Ayatola Ali Kamani has few remaining friends Nettagna, who has even left open the option of taking him out too. It's a point he hinted at in an interview today.
Speaker 4: The president flatly rejected a plan, an opportunity that the you that the israelis I had to take out the supremely do you understand his concern? My understanding is his concern is that this would escalate the conflict beyond where it is already.
Speaker 1: It's not going to escalate the conflict. It's going to end the conflict.
Speaker 2: We've had half a century of conflict spread by this regime.
Speaker 3: So Nata Nyahu, they're saying it's not going to escalate the conflict, it would end it well. If Kimani isn't already in hiding, he will be now. And so it's only at this stage that the regime is on its knees that Iran suddenly wants to engage in talks.
Speaker 2: But it may just be too little, too late.
Speaker 3: With Trump writing that Iran should have signed the deal I told them to sign, he says, what a shame and waste of human life. Simply stated Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon. He says, he said it over and over again, and he says everyone should immediately evacuate Tehran. He also later decl declared that there would be no ceasefire. He said that something big is coming. So we're waiting to hear news of that. And Trump has been under pressure from MAGA isolationists not to join Israel in the war against Iran's nuclear program. Now, I mentioned last night that these figures include Tucker Carlson.
Speaker 5: I feel like I've been hearing that Iran is weeks away from nuclear weapon for bid least twenty five years.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 3: Trump today took back control of the American First notion and he posted it on truth social that America first means great many, a great many things, including the fact that Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon. And he also directly responded to Tucker Carlson in another post, saying, somebody please explain to Kouki Tucker Carson that Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon. Now, these posts from the President today are crucial because figures like Carlson have been trying to claim ownership of the America First agenda.
Speaker 2: But America First does.
Speaker 3: Not mean sitting back while our enemies develop nukes, and it does not mean platforming Hitler apologists or whipping up racism against Jews and Israelis. Well, this rift in the Maga movement between the isolationists and the traditional conservative Republicans will now deepen, and there's an anxious weight as well as Trump decides whether to negotiate with Iran or unleash the Mother of All bombs to destroy the nuclear sites that are otherwise impenetrable. And what Trump decides matters more than anything. America's bunkerbusters are desperately needed to obliterate Iran's nuclear production. Yet even as Tehran indicates its desire now to talk, there's no sign it would give us up its long held goal for nuclear weapons, and Israel is still expressing every intent to destroy then nuclear sites militarily. And it's a point Israel's ambassador to the United States, Yehiel later confirmed today.
Speaker 7: We've always been ready to go to the negotiating table. The problem is that the Iranians have been saying, let's negotiate for fifteen years at the same time they're racing towards a nuclear bomb. What really amazes me about the G seven is that the only leader there who understands history and understands where we should be going into the future seem to see President Trump. The European leaders are repeating the same mistake they made eighty years ago when there was a little guy with a mustache running around Europe saying he was going to annihilate the Jews and was threatening the countries around him, was spreading chaos around Europe, and the European leaders said, no, now, let's appease them.
Speaker 1: It's going to be okay.
Speaker 3: And the ambassador also said in that interview to expect more astonishing surprises in the coming days.
Speaker 7: Our commitment is to eliminate and we have some surprises up our sleeves. There are still a lot of things that we can do, and.
Speaker 3: He said those surprises would be as great as the Hesbela pager operation.
Speaker 2: So we'll see.
Speaker 3: And he made the same point that I did here last night, that Israel's action now is to ensure a future of peace, not more war. And this is a vision that Nedinnja, who has been building towards for a long time. But you can't reach peace without eliminating the threats against you.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: When I met with.
Speaker 3: Nedinyahu in Jerusalem in October, was a privilege to have that opportunity, and he spoke about his vision for the region.
Speaker 2: I asked him about it, and.
Speaker 3: He said it included removing the existential threat from Iran and building stronger ties with the modern Arab nations. But the Prime Minister said that I can and share with you three things that he spoke about Netinyao, who spoke strongly about the threat of Iran. He said the threat of Iran is not only to Israel's survival, but to the Middle East and to Western civilization.
Speaker 2: He said that Israel.
Speaker 3: Is fighting the broader war against terrorists who want to take us all back to the dark ages, and with the war raging, he spoke about the prospect of peace.
Speaker 2: He still hopes.
Speaker 3: He said that the deal to normalize relations with Saudi Arabia will go ahead. I can tell you that the criticism from Washington that Nettaya, who doesn't have a plan, or that he doesn't know what he's doing in this war, is utterly wrong. After speaking with him at length, he does have a clear strategy for the war, and he outlined it. It's obvious his motive is the survival of the Jewish state, but he's also fi the terrorists and Iran to protect the.
Speaker 2: World from dark forces.
Speaker 3: And it's why any day now we're expecting Israel to take on Iran and not let the evil Aotolas live out their dream to destroy Israel, and not just Israel, but.
Speaker 2: All of us in the West.
Speaker 3: So eight months on from my report in Israel, we are now finally seeing Natanyahu's vision begin to come to fruition, and the strategy is smart. Israel has all but destroyed Iran's proxies and hamas and Hezbela, which leaves Tehran vulnerable. It doesn't have its terrorist armies to launch missiles and rockets across the border. And if Trump does have the courage to join Israel. This could end the financing of terrorism and create a safer, more secure, more prosperous Middle East than at.
Speaker 2: Any point in living memory.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Fox News host Mike Levine makes a similar point in The New York Post today, Mark Levin, I should say in his article about how isolationism is the same as appeasement, it was a great article.
Speaker 2: He says.
Speaker 3: If all goes well, it will result in a transformed Middle East, an expansion of the Abraham Accords, and a world free of a nuclear terror regime. They Nedenyahu and Trump are achieving what forty seven years of prior policies have not.
Speaker 2: This is a real peace plan, and.
Speaker 3: Former Secretary of State Mike Pompeio is also lending his voice to the argument that America needs to step in.
Speaker 5: We should help Israel achieve its ultimate objective, whether that's providing those specialized ammunition our munitions rather or a set of other operations that the Israelis I am confident have in their arsenal. We should facilitate the end of Fortat. We should make sure it goes away.
Speaker 3: Isn't it a that Pompeios no longer part of Trump's in a circle. It's extraordinary to me as well. Another point that we saw hundreds of thousands protests to free Palestine Palestine, but where are the protesters to free Iran? This shows that for the left in politics, in the media, in the public, it's not about the lives of Palestinians or Iranians. They don't care about that. It's only about attacking Israel. And there's still very little gratitude toward Israel for having the courage to take on this evil, tyrannical Islamist regime where women are cruelly oppressed, there's no freedom of speech and no human rights, but none of that matters to the woke left. The only thing they care about is delegitimizing Israel.
Speaker 2: And we'll come back to Israel.
Speaker 3: We've got Janni Bishan and Leah Mend's in Tellivision shortly, plus Elon Levy later in the show. Now, let's bring in our panel tonight, former Speaker of the House from and Bishop and outgoing Liberal Senator Holly Hughes.
Speaker 2: Welcome to you both.
Speaker 3: Robin, do you agree that the United States at this point needs to step in and help completely destroy photo in particular the nuclear sites that Israel just doesn't have the ability to do so militarily.
Speaker 9: Well, I think Donald Trump's made it quite clear that he will give support to Israel to see that it is impossible for Iran to have an atomic bomb, and I think the messaging he set out says that he will do whatever he has to do to see that occur. And I don't think he's in this time calling anyone's bluff.
Speaker 2: I think he needs it.
Speaker 9: And I think the fact that Australia has been so pathetic in not supporting any of the actions that Israel has taken and the initiative that Trump is taking has resulted in Albanesi being snubbed.
Speaker 2: Very, very publicly.
Speaker 9: And I think I'm embarrassed to see prime minister of my nation so humiliated because he was lacking encourage. And when I see the words of Penny Wong and I look at the relationship between China and Iran, I asked myself, are we being influenced by the Chinese Communist parties policies in what we are doing with regard to the Middle East? And I think that's something it needs to be explored.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting question.
Speaker 3: I want to come back to Trump's snub of Albanize in a minute, But Holly, I just want to stick with the situation in the Middle East. I think it is really worrying to see that the Republican movement has been hijacked by maga isolationists who are racist, selfish and have this narrow minded view of the world where clearly they don't think America should be the leader of the free world.
Speaker 10: Well, we know when we sort of look at politics and we see the left and the right, and if you go far enough, they come back together again. And if you look at what's happened with some of those on the far left and their pro Palestinian stance, and then some on the far right that have actually moved to an anti Israel stance, you can see them sort of conjoining together. And what I think is a really scary group that should never sort of be left alone and unsupervised. And now they're all singing from the same song sheet. I mean, I think what Bibby's been doing is just extraordinary. And the commentary that Israel needs the US to come in, and I'm sure it would be incredibly helpful and supportive, but I have incredible faith in what Mossad and the Idea have coming next. I think they're big surprises, tend to be quite spectacular, so he's hoping there's a good one. But to your point about Iran and the left and the absolute poor treatment human rights, lack of particularly for women, the rights of LGBTI posted today, support for the Iranian people or support for Iran. I think we could buy a few of them, or one way ticket over to Iran, because I think we know how they'd be welcomed. It's the same when they got to Palestine.
Speaker 3: Sure, but if they support the Iranians, they should be supporting Israel's.
Speaker 2: These people don't understand.
Speaker 10: They don't understand that would be a technical actually understanding the oppression of the Iranian people by this regime as opposed to supporting this regime. But as you say, they're just anti USY.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, let's return to the fact that Trump canceled his meeting with alban Easy today. Now, of course, on one hand, that's understandable. He had to rush back to the Middle East. But he could have organized another time to have the meeting. He could have quickly had it. I mean, he did have time for other meetings with other world leaders. The truth is that Alberanizi's left wing ideology and offensive statements toward Israel and America, who he's treated with disdain, while as Bronwin says, he's been closing up to China.
Speaker 2: This has cost him.
Speaker 3: So it has put Australia, when it's put Alberizi in an embarrassing situation, but it's making Australia increasingly irrelevant when it comes to foreign policy discussions. And I think Dave Shima made this point really well, and Chris Kenny earlier.
Speaker 11: Have a look Pennywong and Anthony Alberanzi when it comes to the Middle East, we've made ourselves irrelevant. You know, the first person that Pennywong spoke to after this Israel around conflict broke was the Iranian Foreign Minister, not the Israeli Prime Minister, not other allies.
Speaker 1: As far as i'm a w.
Speaker 2: I think that really sums it up. Bromwin.
Speaker 3: What Dave said, The first person, as far as we all know that pennyone spoke to it was the Iranian Foreign Minister.
Speaker 2: What is going on?
Speaker 9: Well, that just reinforces the point I made are we're being influenced by the statements Wong and Albanesi are making, because that is the Chinese Communist Party's attitude, and the fact that he would go or rather she would go and speak to the Iranian ambassador simply reinforces that point to my mind. I mean, China buys its oil from Iran. It is a close relationship. If you're a Chinese citizen, you can go and stay for twenty one days in Iran.
Speaker 2: Without a visa.
Speaker 9: It's a very close relationship. And we've seen this government of ours when we've had Chinese warships in our waters, when we've had members of our own defense forces misadventured or attacked.
Speaker 2: Use whatever word you like.
Speaker 9: There was not a word of criticism. So I am very worried about the subversive way. Perhaps that's too strong a word, but to me, there's something going on that doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: I agree, I.
Speaker 3: Completely agree, Holly, what do you think about this? I agree with what Dave Sharma said that Albanisi and Pennywong through their foreign policy positions on our allies, including the derogatory way they often speak about Albani.
Speaker 2: President Trump.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just meant that we're no longer given a seat at the table.
Speaker 2: Well, we're not relevant.
Speaker 10: And I think what Albanezi and Wong and others' comments Kevin Wright, our ambassador to the United States, also has said about Donald Trump in the past, would probably not make us the higher priority for them to become best buds with. But I think what was interesting, and you know, when you look at Prime Minister Karney, he hosted sort of the tier two leaders about an hour hour and a half away from where the G seven was being hosted, and so there was sort of no crossover. There was no top tier and second tier leader dinner together tonight, so there was no opportunity for just a quiet chat over dinner before Donald Trump left because Prime Minister Karney kept in Seraph whereas Boris Johnson had previously Scott Morrison had everyone together and had those organizations working more closely. So you know, his Prime Minister Cannie really that kin on having us at the table as well.
Speaker 9: I just think there's another point that's important. There was a great fanfare, what a wonderful job k rud had done in organizing this meeting. We've got a time, It's twenty minutes. This is the meeting time. What a fantastic job he's done with his insights and his connections. He actually went to Canada with the Prime Minister to hold his hand, which I just find amazing in terms of we have diplomatic relations in Canada, but there's k Rudd note to hold his hand.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 9: I have seen personally in the chamber of that relationship between Kevin Rudd and Albanesi over the years, absolutely, And I remember Albanesi hosting a dinner with a group of friends in a restaurant I was attending when they were planting the coup to get rid of or to put Kevin Rudd back for the second time. Yeah, and so it's a close relationship. And I think Albin easy depends on Kevin Rodd. But Kevin Rodd clearly hasn't got the connection. So one of the ramifications is there going to be a change in the representation we have in Washington over this or are we going to try and spin it away? Nothing happened, nothing to see here, It's all.
Speaker 2: It's Drowse fault again. Like everything else, it'll faults. Of course. Of course.
Speaker 3: The one limit of hope, though, was that it did sound in a way like Trump was backing in awkurs.
Speaker 2: So he was at least nodding his head, have.
Speaker 13: A look, yep, we're proceeding with that. It's a really important deal to both of this. I think the person that was doing a review, we did a review when we came into governments, So that makes good sense to me. But it's a really important.
Speaker 2: We're very long time partners and allies and friends, and we've become friends in a short period. So he didn't directly address aucus.
Speaker 3: He didn't disagree with the sentiment, but I mean, look, I already spoke about this last week, Colli. The president is using orcus as a bargaining tool to get alb and easy to lift his defense spent.
Speaker 10: And you know, I've done a few other shows I do Pete Stefanovic of Monday Morning and talking to Matt Fisilwait and him using.
Speaker 2: The dollar figure.
Speaker 10: They keep talking about, oh, but we're spending dollars here, we're spending dollars here because they cannot acknowledge it's a percentage of GDP, and then everyone else absolutely missing the point. They don't understand what the issue is, and yet they're still trying to spin it of but we're spending ten million dollars here, or we're spending fifty billion dollars.
Speaker 2: Not spend not at all.
Speaker 10: And then Richard Miles's you know, we need to know what we're going to spend it on. If anyone doesn't hasn't realized yet. Defense is really a finance portfolio. You're not going down to the local costco to see what bullets are on sale. As Defense Minister, it's actually working with the brass to make sure that Australia has the right strategic responses in place. And you know, these guys clearly don't understand how it works, and we look.
Speaker 3: So pathetic compared to a nation with courage and who is well equipped like Israel. Absolutely right, Holly Hughes, Broman Bishop, thank you both so much.
Speaker 2: Leisure Thanks I Well, that's cross live to Israel now.
Speaker 3: After another night of missiles, but they are fewer in number. A supplies dwindle, with Israel destroying at least a third of the missile launchers. There were fires, but thankfully no casualties. Overnight now two journalists from The Australian went into the war zone just as everyone else was trying to leave. Leah Mendes and Janni Bishan join me now from Tel Aviv. Welcome to you both, Yani. Usually Israelis feel relatively safe under the Iron Dome and the other air defense systems, but the onslaught of missiles and drones from Iran meant that some slipped through. This was inevitable. There were fewer though last night. Is there an indication from what you're hearing that Iran is running out of arsenal?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 12: I think that's certainly the hope the finner, that they run out of their arsenal, the siner life in Israel can go back to normal.
Speaker 8: I mean, we've been here.
Speaker 14: A few days.
Speaker 12: If you take a stroll through the streets of Tel Aviv, the place is empty. You drive around, there's no one here. It's basically Covid esque. Once again, I think it's very difficult to know whether the arsenal is actually being depleted, because on the one hand, the Iranians are trumpeting every night, but tonight it's going to be the really big one that we've all been waiting for. And on the other hand, we've got statements coming from the Israeli government saying the defensive arrays have been annihilated, and they're taking out individual launchers in Iran itself. So we're getting conflicting messages from both sides. But what I can tell you is that from us on the ground here, when the siren goes off, when the alert comes through your phone, you're not thinking about how many are coming through. You're just running to the safe room and just hoping for the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and I hope you are turning that.
Speaker 3: Indeed, you both took some incredible footage of the ballistic missiles coming in from Iran the night before last.
Speaker 2: I understand it.
Speaker 15: Let's have a look, oh, Liam, tell us what that experience was like watching over forty incoming Iranian missiles.
Speaker 14: It was quite not nerve it, but we felt it be really important that our audience and your audience, you know, see that footage and see what it's like for you know, everyone living in Tel Aviv.
Speaker 8: And right across Israel. This has been happening several times since we've been here. With the air sirens went off about three times yesterday, there was another one today, And when we were driving up north towards Haifa and more of these ballistic missiles were sent through, we saw some of them get intercepted and then one hit an empty bus today, so it's something that is constantly happening. But we thought it was really important that our audience see this, and it was certainly unnerving to see that. But yeah, thankfully today nobody died. But in that footage there, I think there were several casualties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there were that night, for sure, Johnnie. We know that America is sending carriers and aircraft into the region. How much does Israel need the United States to get involved here to completely destroy sites like fod Oh?
Speaker 12: Well, I think generally speaking, two hands are probably better than one. But the Americans have very good reasons to try and stay out of the conflict, and I think it probably puts them in a better negotiating position if they're not involved. But I think the Israeli perspective would obviously be that having the Americans become involved would make the job of degrading the Uranian capability to strike at Israeli capital cities much easier task. So I'm sure what the Israelis have been pushing is for the Americans to enter the arena, But we know that the Americans have drawn a red line against doing that unless they come under attack themselves, and we haven't quite.
Speaker 14: Seen that yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're waiting to hear the outcome of the emergency meeting that chump cord Liam. You also visited the site of bat Yam, where as we just spoke about entire residential buildings where heat and civilians were killed. Being on the ground there when you're in this lockdown like environment that Jonni mentioned, what.
Speaker 2: Was it like.
Speaker 8: It's really interesting. There's been a huge change to that the entire country since I was here back in October and then also in June last year, it was a lot more busier, a lot more bustling. You know, people were still going out to cafes and restaurants at the moment. Cafes restaurants all closed. At bat Yam, it was you know, it was quite soln you know, there was there was also a lot of emotion from family members there. But you know, the residents that are still there, they're saying that they're rebuilding, They're not going to leave. None of this is going to change their way of life. Incredibly resilient, all right.
Speaker 3: Joanie Brashan and Lea Mendes, please stay safe. I know you two love an adventure. And look, you're so courageous for going over there in the middle of the world. And you've both spent a lot of time in Israel, particularly you Yanni since October seven. But stay safe and we'll speak to you soon. That's still to come. We'll speak to Iranians about their reaction to Israel's war. Also Elon Levy coming up later. Plus the government sounds accused of using super funds as it's piggybank. We'll talk about that with Cameron Milner and Andrew Caswell next, welcome back. Well, there's a brilliant editorial today in the finn Review about Labour super tax.
Speaker 2: And I meanline it's headline says it all.
Speaker 3: It's super funds, not a piggy bank for Labour's pet projects. It spells out exactly the concerns we've been speaking about with regards to this legislation. And it's a point reiterated by former ACTU Secretary Bill Kelty, who on the weekend told The Australian that he thinks unrealized capital gains is a bad policy. He says it seems a strange thing to do. Bad policy is bad policy, whether it's for the rich or the poor. Let's bring in now tonight's political panel form a chief of staff for Bill Shorten, Cameron Milner, former Press Secretary Andrew Carswell, welcome to you vote Cameron. You're obviously on the Labour side of politics when you have legendary figures like Bill Kelty coming out about Labour's legislation to tax unrealized capital gans gains. I mean this tells you just how bad the policy is.
Speaker 1: Well, it does.
Speaker 16: And Bill Keurley is the father of supernuation along with Paul Keating in Australia, and so when Bill Kenny, Bill Kelly speaks, people should listen, people should listen.
Speaker 1: I think Jim.
Speaker 16: Chalmers is in there as a treasurer trying to raise money for the endless spinning that the Albanize government's involved in. But this even looks like a bad idea now, I think Bill Kellty's right.
Speaker 1: This looks like bad policy after bad policy.
Speaker 16: And really we shouldn't be doing that to the superhnoation system because it's.
Speaker 1: Not the government's money. It's our money. It's our money.
Speaker 16: It's wages forgone that've gone to super to hold down inflation, to holdown.
Speaker 1: Wages going over the top.
Speaker 16: That's savings for Australians. It's not the piggybank of a labor government.
Speaker 2: It's a very.
Speaker 3: Principle of it, Andrew, that a government could tax money that people don't even have in their pocket.
Speaker 2: Yet.
Speaker 17: Yeah, it's certainly a strange movement. And look, there's no one on the necessarily on the labour side of politics that's having a look at the start of this policy, which is the extra tax on earnings above three million dollars in super But they are having a little negle at this extra element of taxing underalized gain. So it's very clear that they're overregged it by the very people on their own side. And it's not just that the piggy bankers mentioned before. I mean when governments are giving out financial advice on where to invest, generally run in the other direction. It's not for governments to tell superannuation firms where they need to invest their money. Governments are terrible at investing tax payer money, so why should we believe them that they'll be beneficial tax for super anuits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know exactly.
Speaker 3: I want to turn and ask you both about how the President of the United States counseled the meeting with alban Easy at the G seven today. Now you know one of the things that Trump was going to put on the table was defense spending. It still kind of flaws me, Cameron that the alban Ezy government is paying twenty percent of students hextat, yet won't increase our defense spending from less than two percent that it is now just under two percent, while you've got Europe committing to five percent.
Speaker 16: That's right, and look, we have to spend an awful lot more on defense because we're in a very uncertain time and you only have to look to Israel to look for we need to defend yourself against.
Speaker 1: Some of the really hostile people. Israel's done the right thing.
Speaker 16: They've actually got self defense, They've actually invested in military capacity for their own self defense. Australias is relying on the US to come in.
Speaker 1: That's not good enough.
Speaker 16: I mean we need to add an NDIS scheme a year to our defense budget. We need to add another fifty billion dollars a year to even come up to the three percent margin Shari, which is still well below as you say, the Europeans, so that we're so far behind and we're expecting others to do the heavy lifting rather than a wealthy nation like ourselves actually s being enough to defend ourselves and actually have the armaments to self defend.
Speaker 3: Indeed, Andrew, what do you think it says about how the Trump administration and the President views Australia at the moment that alban Easy and Rudd can spend months working on trying to pull off a meeting and then it's just canceled, you know, without a second thought at the last minute.
Speaker 17: Well we're at the back of the queue, aren't we. And it's not just the major partners that are getting meetings with Trump. It's Norway, it's Syria, it's Jordan, it's Argentina, it's Ireland. They all have had face to face meetings. We've had eight months since Trump was elected, and yet we still don't have a face to face money. So it's not only embarrassing, but it reflects poorly on our diplomacy.
Speaker 18: But it already was a little embarrassing anyway.
Speaker 17: I mean, the Albanezy meeting was the last meeting scheduled for Trump at the G seven, the last meeting on the last day the Engines of Air Force one would have been warming as the two leaders met. I mean, the cleaners would have been packing up the chairs in the auditorium.
Speaker 18: With the last have off the rank.
Speaker 17: So that goes to show how they view us at the moment. And is it any wonder from their perspective when we continually push back on the demands of a partner and an ally that he's trying to do the right thing.
Speaker 18: In the world.
Speaker 3: Exactly Camera, Milt, as usual, you wrote an excellent column in The Nightly and you make the point how out of step Albanisi and Foreign Minister Pennywong.
Speaker 2: Are with the values of our allies.
Speaker 3: How confused they are and just completely at odds.
Speaker 2: And this is part of the problem, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 16: I mean, our foreign policy under Wong has lurched the left. Albanie acquiesces when it comes to Israel, acquiesce is when it comes to Islamic.
Speaker 1: Extremism in Australia.
Speaker 16: But the worst thing, the worst thing, Shahi, is the eighty semitism on Albo's watch.
Speaker 1: It is appalling.
Speaker 16: It's the worst I've seen in my lifetime, Shahi, and on Albow's watch, and he's done nothing about it.
Speaker 1: And yet we have Israel under attack from Iran.
Speaker 16: The US they're protecting, you know, the Israelis on the ground as well, and our prime ministers they are allowing synagogues to burn, cars, to b firebombed restaurants, to be graffeitied. I mean, on Albo's watch, the Jewish community Australia is so much less safe than it used to be. And that's what President Trump and the rest of the world sees Australia doing under Albo's watch, is that Jewish Australians are under more threat and any Semitism is boiling over in this country.
Speaker 3: No, it is indeed an issue I care a lot about, as you know.
Speaker 2: But Andrew, we all do, we all do, thank you.
Speaker 3: I mean, I basically wouldn't have anyone on this program who didn't care about anti Semitism, because that's not caring about racism. But Andrew, I think the failure too, and it's not just this one meeting with President Trump, but it's to have any sort of working relationship with the United States at a political level. You know, our officials in the national security space, in the intelligence spaces, that's all fine, but at a political level, we don't even have a basic dialogue with the United States, and ultimately, Andrew, this does come down to Penny Wong as foreign minister, doesn't it, because it's her foreign policy positions that are now so completely at odds with where America stands.
Speaker 17: Well, there's just been no rapport built with the Trump administration. There's been no attempt to do that in a genuine way. It's a very much a business like approach to what should be a friendship and an alliance. And that goes for Pennywong, that goes for Anthony Albanisi, but it also goes for Kevin rud as well.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is a.
Speaker 17: US an ambassador to the US that can't even get in the West Wing, let.
Speaker 1: Alone the Oval Office.
Speaker 17: So there's a fundamental breakdown in the diplomacy there. And it's the approach that this government has taken that has severed the ties almost in the relationship that previous prominences had built steadily, not just with Republican presidents but Democratic presidents as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Look, I don't think you can say you're a good foreign minister or Prime minister if you're destroying the relationship with our most important partner. In the United States. All right, Cameron Andrew, thank you both so much for your time. Now still to come, we'll get the latest from Israel as Trump holds his situation room meeting. Elon Levy will be on later. But first, how Iranians feel about Israel's war.
Speaker 2: That's next. Welcome back.
Speaker 3: Well, it's not spoken about enough, but Iran has a brutal tyrannical dictatorship where Sharia law is strictly adhere to the morality. Police arrest and even kill women who refuse to wear the veil. There were protests led by women across Iran when sixteen year old Masha Jinna Amani died while in police custody. The police even used a lethal force against the protesters. Some were arrested, others later faced the death penalty simply for standing up for human rights. This is why many Iranians welcome Israel's intervention at the moment. And joining me now are the founders of the Australian Iranian Patriots Association. Minu Tusi, great to see you, and Mani Tagisode wonderful to see you as well. Now I want to start with you know what life is like at the moment, Minu and whether you think from the family and friends that you have in Iran, how they're receiving Israel's war on the military and nuclear and military leadership. At the moment, are Iranians welcoming this move?
Speaker 19: I would say yes, because the majority of people actually is suffering from dear supresse regime for forty seven years, and this time is a time when Israel actually taking Iran was actually caused by the Islamic Republic regime of Iran. So of course people in Iran loves Jewish people in Israel, and we actually sudden that this war, unwanted war happened by the Islamic Republic regime of Iran. This is not actually war between the people of Iran and Israel. This is war that caused and made by the Zlamik Republican regime. So people in Iran at the moment, they I would say, they accepted this war because that's maybe the only hope they can get rid of this brutal regime. So of course there should be.
Speaker 2: A fear behind that.
Speaker 19: But what I'm seeing during these days, people are actually chanted at night and they tried to come in the street and demonstrated against this regime.
Speaker 3: You're saying that at night, they're chanting and demonstrating against this regime at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that's.
Speaker 3: Obviously taking a big risk in doing so, because they could be severely punished for that.
Speaker 2: Yes, money, let's bring you in. Now.
Speaker 3: What do you hope will be the outcome of Israel's war here?
Speaker 6: Actually, I wanted to say to your audiences and the war that this is not our war. This is not the war between Iranian people and the State of Israel. This is the war it's happened because of the behavior by Islamic regime seeking for nuclear and weaponry and using against the Jews, against Israel and get it all the street from the map. This is not just a slogan. They have done it. They have supported hamas in two years ago, in the seventh October massacre by Theahamas terrorists. You know, it's not like you know, it's like a claim. They have done it and now they have to pay for it. You know, the run in people they knew about that. The Israel government than the Jewish people. They are not their enemy. The enemy is inside, the enemy of the Islamic regime who killed more than more than eight hundred, you know, saint boys and gays on these streets two years ago when the Massaamini movement started, you know, and it was not just once. Five years ago they killed another protessor on the streets because of the you know, they raised up the price of the field, the petrol. It's they are tourists and many times we announce on the streets of the Australia the other parts of the world, do not make appeacement with this regime, you know, do not you know, make a diplomatic you know, negotiation with that because they are occupied our country. Yeah, no, Iran is similar like occupied country.
Speaker 2: You know, so well said so well, said Minu.
Speaker 3: We've seen Israel and the United States call on Iranians to rise up. Do you want there to be regime change?
Speaker 19: One hundred percent sure yes, because during this forty seven years after revolution, I would say this is wrong PubL regime occupied the country and how stage the people. So now it's the time, it's actually the only golden time they can raise up. They was and they want to one hundred percent definitely regime change. They don't want any reform to this existing regime. They just want to regime change.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, menu MANI thank you both so much for your time.
Speaker 2: Really appreciate it.
Speaker 19: Thank you so much, Thank you so much for having us.
Speaker 2: No, it's wonderful to have you all.
Speaker 3: Right, after the break, we'll cross live to Israel after another night of strikes, and former Israeli governments spokesman Elon Levy is there.
Speaker 2: He joined me next.
Speaker 3: All right, let's bring in now farm Israeli government spokesman Elon Levy, Elon, great to see you again. Look, the biggest question we're all waiting to the whole world's waiting to hear, is whether President Trump has come to a decision in the situation room.
Speaker 2: How much does.
Speaker 3: Israel need America's assistance at this point?
Speaker 20: Well Oedroel is not banking on the United States getting drawn into this war. Israel went alone against the Iranian regime, knowing that with our backs against the wall, we're the ones who are going to save the Middle East from a nuclear Iran.
Speaker 18: And Israel has plans to do that. But you know what, I.
Speaker 20: Think President Trump likes a winner, and he's noticed that Israel is winning. It controls the skies of Iran, it's intercepting Iranian ballistic missiles in Iran overnight. It killed the head of the Iranian military. It was only in the job for four days because his predecessor was killed on Friday, and Trump will now be considering whether to deliver the death blow to the Iranian nuclear program. There is a nuclear facility buried deep under a mountain four dough. It's buried there because it is a nuclear weapons program. Iran wants to keep its nuclear weapons program safe. And of course Israel is not publicizing to the world what its abilities are to deliver the final blow against the Iranian nuclear program. But conventional wisdom is that can only be done from the air using an American B two bomber. And I'm sure that's one of the things President Trump will be considering now whether, with Israel so completely winning this war against Iran, the United States wants to deliver the death blow to its nuclear program.
Speaker 3: I mean, the military success has been astonishing, and the fact that there were undercover more sad operatives opera in Iran, the.
Speaker 2: Quality of the intelligence.
Speaker 3: Once again, Israel has shown up the rest of the world when it comes to these sort of sophisticated operations hasn't it.
Speaker 20: Well, Look since nineteen sixty seven and the Six Day War, there has never been a better example of David versus Goliath in the Middle East. His tiny little Israel taking on a regime that controls the country eighty times its size. And the way that Israel does that is by using ingenuity, creativity, the element of surprise. This is not the war that the Iranian regime was planning to fight. The Iranian regime surrounded Israel with a ring of fire, a network of proxy armies, hoping that it could rain ballistic missiles on Israel to protect its illegal nuclear weapons program. And now the Iranian regime is completely exposed because Israel caught them by surprise. And here we are with Israeli planes controlling the skies of Tehran.
Speaker 3: We've had some Iranian activists on the program. They are hoping that this will lead to regime change. I mean when Adnya, who was interviewed by Brett Bay yesterday, he said that is not the explicit goal, but it could be the outcome of their operations.
Speaker 2: It's up to Iranians whether they rise up. Do you think this is likely to play out.
Speaker 3: That Iranian civilians could seize this opportunity and take that control of their country.
Speaker 20: Look, the Iranian regime's unofficial slogan is death to Israel. Israel's unofficial slogan is the people of Israel live Between that, there's very little room for compromise. The reason we have a conflict with Iran is the Iranian regime doesn't want Israel to.
Speaker 18: Exist, and Israel wants to exist.
Speaker 20: And Israelis are nostalgic for the days that there were flights between Tel Aviv and Tehran and they weren't drones. So obviously, if the Iranian regime goes and they establish a democracy in dead, that's the source of the Middle East conflict gone, and we can have peace between Israel and Iran. Now you're right, the Prime Minister is saying regime change is not the explicit goal of this war. This is about eliminating the existential threat of an Iranian nuclear bomb and Iranian ballistic missiles.
Speaker 18: But stranger things have happened.
Speaker 20: No one predicted the fall of the Soviet Union, no one predicted the fall of the Assad regime. And if the Iranian regime falls, if the leaders choose to flee because they understand their time is up and Iran can form a peace loving democracy. That would be an outstanding side effect of this operation.
Speaker 18: The same the world from Iranian nuclear bombs.
Speaker 2: We've got less than a minute left in Ilin.
Speaker 3: I just want to ask you about the hypocrisy of Iran targeting Israeli civilians and we haven't heard a word of condemnation from the international community.
Speaker 20: You know, the G seven just issued a very important statement saying it stands with Israel and Israel's security, so we know world leaders are with us. But I have to say a word to all the activists have spend the last year talking about humanitarian law and proportionality and distinction, don't care when Israeli civilians are under fire and have to run to bomb shelters and dozens of Israelis are killed in ballistic missiles. And it's clear that all their language of international law and human rights was just to dress up their hatred of Israel and Jews.
Speaker 18: They don't really get to humanity. Their anti humanity.
Speaker 2: So true and so disappointing.
Speaker 3: ELIN really love having you in the show as always, Thank you so much for your time, and that's all we've got time for today. I see you tomorrow at eight o'clock, and right now, the man of the hour, we'll marry