Speaker 1: Welcome to the Chrizy CAUs Live from the Compound. Now open up a book by Leanne Moriarty, and you can be guaranteed some grouping, psychological drama, juicy characters, and gasp worthy twists. I personally love her work because even though we think our lives are all so mundane, she shows us there's magic in it if you look hard enough. She's with me today to talk about her new book Here one moment, and loads of other bits and bobs as well. Please welcome New York Times best selling author and stationary enthusiast Leanne Moriarty. Hi learn, Hello, Thank you so much for joining me pleasure. We are a stationary enthusiasts.
Speaker 2: I do like stationary and I like I wonder if it came from my Love Survivor. That's my reality TV of choice, right.
Speaker 1: I also am a stationary enthusiast, and I've passed it on to my daughter, whose favorite thing is a trip to office works. And I've brought you in something.
Speaker 2: This is a.
Speaker 1: Little lined book. It just feels really great.
Speaker 2: Man. Yes, oh, thank you so much. That is the perfect gift for me.
Speaker 1: I love it and it's got some nonsense on the front. It's so great, but this is the prize. So I recently treated myself to a trip to Europe for the first time because I turned fifty, and I stayed in this hotel and as I was signing the check, I mean the you know the feel again. I used the best pen I've used and I am going to give you and I want you to give thank you.
Speaker 2: This is oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Giving you a piece of paper because I want you to try it immediately. It's just a pen. It's not like a fountains that it has, but there's something about thank.
Speaker 2: You special about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh lovely, Yes, and I love them as I left.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gorgeous too.
Speaker 1: Now I have this theorily on that I want to float with you. I feel like, you know, we are born, and then from that moment we sort of tend to get further and further away. Life comes at us and we change ourselves and to go with life. And I found a photograph of myself when I was about five or six. I was just looking at her, going what did you like to do? And I realized that I wasn't doing any of what she liked to do. And I want to ask you holding up some photographs. So how old are you here?
Speaker 2: I think I'm five. I think that's when my Yeah, I look very I look very much like my son. Actually, so it's funny to see it. Now.
Speaker 1: What did five year I wanted? This little girl liked to do?
Speaker 2: Let me think. I so I was only just learning how to read. And I do remember I was excited to learn to read. But I always thought it was strange that, you know, they gave out those little books, readers, little readers, and for some reason, and I'm not sure what this says about me, I started trying to read the little It was probably the copyright, you know, in tiny words, tiny really, and of course it was really big words, and nobody else bothered with that. And I was thinking, how can I can't possibly read now? And I always think of that, Why didn't you just look at the big word, you know, the big print?
Speaker 1: Yeah I could.
Speaker 2: It was like I wanted to make life as hard as possible for myself.
Speaker 1: It's like you're trying to find the truth in it in like, you know, Digger plays with the ball, but what was that real? What are Digger's motivations? You grew up in a creative family. And I was thrilled to find out that your career started in the advertising industry because mine did too. And your dad was also in the advertising industry.
Speaker 2: No oh, no, dad was a surveyor, so he and his dream was to be a pilot. So he jumped off I think it was a shared out the back with an umbrella. He was desperate to learn how to fly, but you said Geronimo, and so he loved biggles and all that sort of yes, and he did eventually that he achieved his dream and learned how to fly and built up a very successful aerial surveying and mapping business.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, so interesting that it was aeriel.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so he he really believed that it was nothing better. What did he say, to find something you love to do and then get some bustard to pay you to do it? Haha.
Speaker 1: I think the original phrase is what find something you love and you won't work a day? Yeah? Yeah, that's right. Yeah, you started in advertising as a copywriter. Did it annoy you whenever you said what you did for a living that people thought it had something to do with copyright law?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I think they thought. I can clearly remember a man saying, Oh, you're a secretary, aren't you. He thought it was just something that I I didn't get so much copyright law. But you're copying something, just copying other people's work.
Speaker 1: Right for clarity in case you're listening and you don't know what that is. Leon and I used to write ads that through concepts as well, Yeah, coming up with which I yeah, people don't really they think it's just the actual words. What were some of the big accounts that you worked on.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I really ended up with any particularly famous accounts I worked. I did a lot of work for one. Tell you know how well that company en. I bought shares in it too, and I kept them as it went all the way down.
Speaker 1: Oh I fod it's shares or stocks? No, stand it No.
Speaker 2: The first time I bought shares actually was just before their eighty seven stock market crash, and I remember driving to work and they were talking about the stock markets crash. As far as I knew, they had never talked about the stock market on the radio before. And it just seemed to happen literally after I knew they knew you or it might be one of those things, you know when you if you buy a blue car, you never see blue car, and then as soon as you buy one, that's right, you see what happened? Exactly?
Speaker 1: Did you buy chance? Love the TV show Bewitched when you were growing up?
Speaker 2: I did love Bewitched. You know.
Speaker 1: It was the first time I ever saw somebody in the advertising industry Darren Yes, yeah, he's a copyright I had that awful boss, Larry tap.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's right. Yeah, And that was really.
Speaker 1: The first time I ever saw that as a job. And I was like, I want what.
Speaker 2: And then you wanted to get in? Well, see, I didn't. Actually, I didn't dream of going to advertising. I wanted to be a journalist. Okay, yeah, And when I look back, I often think, why did you not do that? I mean, I know why if somebody said I missed out on some deadline and somebody said, why don't you just do advertising for a year? And then I quite liked it. But I often think I should have done journalism. I would have had more material, you know, to call back upon now as a as a writer saw it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you weren't advertising in the eighties. It would have been like crazy long lunches and all sorts of amazing.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't. I didn't get I can remember people doing lines of cocaine a little bit of that, but really I was did a lot of just writing direct mail. I didn't have much of the glamorous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did direct to In fact, my first ad was for admya sale okay, And I remember taking it very very seriously, and I went to my creative director and I said, listen, you know, last time this ran ah, it said on sale now. And I feel like sale is the important part of this, and I think we should change it to sale on now.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I got my way, and I think I think you were right. I think that's much better.
Speaker 1: Get them before they completely lose interest in the rest of the ad.
Speaker 2: My dad always he loved something I did that was with a nail, a fingernail pointing to a king of nail polish, and it was the direction to perfection, ah, And he kept saying it to me all time, the direction to perfect I.
Speaker 1: Love it so much. Now I think that you know someone like you working in such a creative and personal career like novel writing. It's a kind of superpower. And I don't think there are too many professions that require that sort of sustained creativity, and that is hard, I think for somebody to maintain. And I think anybody that works in an area like you do sort of needs what I call a mental laxative because you do get blocked and there's nothing that your mind is blank. Do you have any sort of I guess fail safe methods that you use when your creativity drives up.
Speaker 2: There's all sorts of things I can try. So first of all, it's just write for a certain amount of time, put the timer on, and you mustn't think is this any good? You just write anything, even if it's rubbish.
Speaker 1: Because what's an example of that, Like if I was to do that, now, could I just write?
Speaker 2: Well, you could just write these, yeah, the dog crossed the road or what happened to the dog? And just see what comes out right? And then because your whole thing I'm always trying to do is lose my sense of self the way I did when I was a little girl and I like to write stories. I would just sit down and write a story without even thinking about it. I just think, I like to ride my bikes, and I'll ride my bike. I like to write stories, so I'll write a story. I wish I could do that the way I once once did, just with a pure joy of it. So there's that just write anything. There's a particular spin class that I do that I do it YouTube, so I know exactly what's going to happen in the class. I know, yeah, I know she's going to say, so, Michelle, do you know how to count me in? Don't you? And then Michelle says yes. And then but Michelle gets it a little bit wrong, so I'm always watching. I feel so bad for a co Oh no, Michelle, you're doing it wrong. You've got to say it out loud.
Speaker 1: And why do you like that kind of predictability when you're.
Speaker 2: I think because I just go into a sort of meditative state. So it's sort of like an active meditation. Yeah, and it's hard, but it's not so hard that I can't if it was so hard that but it gets the blood going, and I mustn't think. I mustn't think, oh, you're going to come up with ideas. Now, I just somehow go and then sure enough by the third song, so it's just something Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for me, it's walking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm walking. Well, it used to be walking for me. But then I got into podcasts, and now I feel like I can't go for a walk without a podcast.
Speaker 1: I agree. I desperately try not to have anything in my years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I feel like a podcast you sort of float through. I don't. You don't even notice. Yes, if I walt the dog, the dog's taking me the podcast in my ears and I don't even I'm not aware of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's interesting. Big Little Eyes hugely successful. You ended up going to the Emmys. Was that weird?
Speaker 2: Yes, very very weird in so many in so many ways. Yeah, just seeing all those faces, all those famous faces, and going up on stage and you're going going. It was extra strange that you then sort of got funneled out the back into a sort of car park. And I think it was a strange.
Speaker 1: Area backstages and green rooms, something so incongruous with what's going on.
Speaker 2: It's exactly with all the glittery stuff. And there was I think it was Jane Fonda was there and somebody now I can't even remember who it was, but yeah, there she is in the in the car park.
Speaker 1: How odd having a singing Big Little Eyes. It's all about, you know, the dynamics of school moms. I guess yes, And I've got a theory again, another theory about school moms, and I started. So I've got a fifteen year old, so that was sort of my foray into school. And I realized very quickly I did not like being at the school and I just eventually it made me so uncomfortable that I had a conversation with my then probably six or seven year old. I said, I'm not going to be the sort of mum that gas bags at the at the school gate. I feel really cautious, and I think that your school is your community, and yes, I'm not going to have anything to do with it. Is that? Okay? How did you find your experiences at school?
Speaker 2: Mostly lovely? Really? I think I was really lucky with the school community that I went into. I did resist it a lot because I had my children quite late, so I was surprised that people were ready to be so friendly, and I was thinking I don't need I was one of those people thinking I don't need any more friends. Don't we all have our friends?
Speaker 1: Ye is just selling for the ones I have just.
Speaker 2: A horrible, horrible thing to think. And actually I remember one who's a really good friend now saying to me, I'm worth it? Why just And so I did I was. I guess I feel like I was a little bit stand offish or a little and probably I'm not a specially extroverted person, so I wasn't so much part of the school community. But I'm sure you found the same that you have to you make friends with the parents of the kids who for having the kids over. That happens. Yes, naturally, so that would have happened. Yeah, I think it's just a little bit tricky in the beginning if you're not that sort of person who immediately throws yourself into the Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Just found it. I might have just been the schools that i've you know, encountered, but I just felt like I was in conversations and my internal dialogue was, I don't care if there's too much letters in the salad role at the touch shop, and I mean that I see poles are going up to a dollar fifty. I don't care.
Speaker 2: But you didn't find your people? No, Yeah, so your people were there.
Speaker 1: I already had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's the thing like me, But yeah there was still that's the thing. There were more people there. I bet if you.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they were gave up pretty good. Back to your family you've got, I hope this is right. Four sisters and a brother, that's right. Yes, And I've got two sisters, one of one of three girls. And I thought, an interesting kind of through line whenever they are discussed because two of your sisters also, right, were words like sibling rivalry. Or Leanne started to write because of her competitive nature. And I read that and I thought, I don't know about that. I'm gonna I'm going to ask her does that exist in your family.
Speaker 2: A little bit? I mean, it's definitely true that it was Jackie. So she was published first. And when we were little, that's when Dad used to commission us to write stories for him. So pay a dollar for an exercise book filled with words. So he gave us self first publishing deals. What a great idea, I know, I know, though I've tried it with my children. I do think today's children are not quite as motivated by no money.
Speaker 1: I'm that written down on you because books are absolutely so important to me. Reading is so beneficial. Yes, everybody, my daughter will not read a page.
Speaker 2: You know, it's very it's very hard, I guess you've got to just keep putting books in front of her. Have you tried audio books?
Speaker 1: I feel like that's not the same. I feel like.
Speaker 2: You've got a road. I don't know because a lot of my readers are listening now, and I know I'm not an audiobook listener myself, but it might still get her into a story that's true.
Speaker 1: I'm going to try that.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I'm saying. I haven't tried it myself with my with my kids.
Speaker 1: So I've just got an audiobook question coming up later on about your new book. Back to sibling rivalry, so.
Speaker 2: He would, yeah, So he gave us our first publishing deals, and then as we grew up, so we both said we want to be writers. And then I wrote less and less as I got older, so I ended up with that career in advertising. And so when she got published first, I honestly was really happy for her because I love her dearly. But I also will admit that I was filled with envy. I was so envious she'd done it first, and so angry with myself because I hadn't even given it a shot. So you could call that sibling rivalry, because I was really envious and it was because of her that I did it.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Yeah, so you've got four sisters and one brother? Yes, I think that. Are you familiar with the term top tier? You know, like if you're ranking biscuits or rank the chocolate, it's top here is like the best. I think top tier men are those that have grown up in a house exclusively with women, of girls. So when I read that there's four girls and one boy.
Speaker 2: I thought five girls and one boy? If five girls and pleading me is.
Speaker 1: What is he like? And do you agree that he is excellent?
Speaker 2: I think I think you're right that it's wonderful to grow up with sisters. Yeah, but he was funny because he'd always say how would it work? We'd say, we'd be asking more questions, and he'd answer a couple and then say, no more questions.
Speaker 1: Even that is a really good skill to have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because women took a lot.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, would we really do? I've noticed that with my daughter too, although my son, my middle son. Just last night I heard my daughter say to Mum, can you tell kid to be quiet?
Speaker 2: He just doesn't.
Speaker 1: Really, he does the narrator of all life. Did you as a family sort of growing up in the seventies and eighties where there was nothing to do, absolutely nothing to do? Did you have made up games? I'll give you an example. Me and my sisters have made up this game called Frubies. If a double o bies where my sister's I'm a favorite younger than them. They would lay on their backs with their legs in the air. I would launch on today's feet. That's called a frubby. You know, Sunday afternoon, just before the big red was served, you know, we would have a round of Frubbies.
Speaker 2: Have you got anything like I'm trying to think? I do remember there was one game that involved bubble wrap and we created a whole world, and in my mind it was quite magical with a particular toy and all the different toys. I don't remember. It didn't have a name or anything. It is amazing a child's imagination though that It feels like that was a huge world in my mind with just bubble wrap.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I bet you if you saw a photo of it now, it just just like twenty centimeter square.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And the same thing happens when I pick up a books that I loved as a child. I think that I in my mind had this whole world and then you read and I think it must have been written so amazingly, But I think, in fact, it's just that a child's imagination is so rich. So it's very simple sentences, and that creates in my mind that I would need more sentences now to yes that world.
Speaker 1: Do you think a wonderful and rich imagination is something we're all born with or do you think that you were born with blue eyes and an incredible imagination or the ability to flex it access it.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think everybody's got an imagination, but every I think every reader it's their imagination that's making the book work. So I always say to readers, there's something really special about it's my imagination and your imagination sort of working together, which is why every single reader has a different experience of reading the book, because I'm saying something and they're taking their own life experiences, so they're seeing it slightly differently.
Speaker 1: So that would be why everybody says when they see a movie adaptation of a book that they've read, they always say the book is better because they have their in their minds. You know, it's so much that's what it is.
Speaker 2: I think Yep, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I can remember my son saying once reading a book, it's just like a movie playing in your head, isn't it? Is that amazing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so his movie is different to my movie, is different to your movie. Yes, that's why I need my daughter to read.
Speaker 2: To have the little movie playing in there. But having said that, not everybody's a reader, and I think that's okay. I don't think it's okay.
Speaker 1: I'm really sure not. I think everybody should walk somewhere every day, five minutes even, yes, And I think everybody should read something every day. One page. That's what I say to my daughter. Just do one page.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I don't know. I just think of people like well, I don't know, especially a lot of men. I think of my grandfather who never read, but.
Speaker 1: I don't he might not have been able to. My grandmother had to teach herself to read, you know, when she was twenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he could read, he could read. I know that's true, but I don't know that. And my grandma loved to read. But I don't know that that. I don't like the idear of it. Somehow makes you morally superior if you're a reader.
Speaker 1: No, I wouldn't suggest that, but I really think it's good for you. Yeah, if you read something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know why. It's plenty. I've said that before and somebody said to me, it's really strange. And you don't read anything, especially don't read my book, and I do want my children to read.
Speaker 1: Sorry, speaking of your amazing imagination and how it works so beautifully with the imagination of your readers, your TV adaptations have been extraordinarily and movie adaptations have been extraordinarily successful. They've been so successful that every time I now read one of your stories, I cast it in my head. You after you saw Big Little Lives was your first one that came to the screen. After you saw that with you know, Reese and Nicole and all of that, was it hard to write without casting your characters in your head?
Speaker 2: No, I've honestly never casts as I write, except for when I was writing that sort of treatment for season two of Big Little Eyes, which so that wasn't a novel, that wasn't to be published. And that's when I was casting Meryl Street for the role of Mary Louise, which is why I called Mary Louise, because that's Merrill's real name. So that was for my own fun. But when I'm writing a novel, I see my own, my own version, which is I wouldn't want to see an actress or an actor in my head because then it would no longer belong to me. That's what I love about as I'm writing the books. It's all mine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your characters are so well developed, and there's so many of them.
Speaker 2: I know, probably too too many, not.
Speaker 1: Too many, but I have I've got a little set of directions. When I start one of your books, I actually start it with a notebook next to me or a piece of paper. Oh, you write them, And when I I'm introduced to a new character, I'll write that down with a little trigger for myself so that when I'm reading and I go shit, who was that again? I could go to my find it two seconds inst of flicking back through the.
Speaker 2: See I feel like that's my That's because that's my job to help you out with that.
Speaker 1: No, I'm just so bad with following stuff. My brain isn't wired like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I don't know, because I try. Because I'm aware that I have a lot of characters, and every single time I write a book, I think this time, I will not have so many, so I try to give them a different name, you know, never have two characters with the same initial, and to try and say something as I go into each scene that reminds you of who the who the person was.
Speaker 1: For somebody normal, that would really work for.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not.
Speaker 1: How do you name your characters? Is it like naming a baby? Do you try? Some lots of different ones?
Speaker 2: On? I try. If you try something, then it often sticks. And if therefore I've got too many with the same initial, I'm annoyed with myself because I don't want to change the name because it feels like that is their name. Yeah, So I'm doing things like looking up depending on the age of the character, I might look up names of people born in the year that they were born. So it makes sense. What else do I do? It just has to feel right, yeah, And sometimes names I often look around at the bookshelves, so I'm looking at just picking a name as a fun or with something I've read, And sometimes I realize a name sounds right, and then I realized, oh, no, that's why it sounds right, because it's somebody I know or somebody of Yeah, so it's yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Tricky speaking of fun. Has there been in every job and every life, really, there are memorable moments where you're flooded with gratitude and the rest of the time is just very normal. Can you remember the first or the most memorable time where you had that sort of the breathless feeling of joy because of what you did?
Speaker 2: Oh, there's yeah, there's lots. And even just last night I was doing the first event to launch my new book. And just the things that people say to you and what books of my books have meant to them. That's and as I get older and more emotional, then I just feel like I'm going to be sobbing.
Speaker 1: I know, because you would be quite insolent like me. When I'm in the studio. I don't see anybody that's listening to me, and you don't see anybody consuming your stuff creativity. So when you do see it, it is it's meaningful.
Speaker 2: It's also the other thing that gives me goosebumps is just seeing people out in the world reading my my books. So body goose So that never that always feels incredible.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the first time you saw that?
Speaker 2: Yes, it was on a Sydney Faerry and the woman sitting next to me literally pulled out a copy of Three Wishes. So that was and I kept looking over at her. I was obviously behaving in a strange manner.
Speaker 1: Was moved so that you get a roller for the book, probably.
Speaker 2: Looking at her face as she read and looking down and thinking, oh, that bit's quite funny. Are you laughing? Wow?
Speaker 1: Speaking of Three Wishes, I'm going to do a status check for all Leon Moriarty fans. Obviously, big little eyes on the screen, nine perfect strangers on the screen. Done, husband seek status check.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what was option. The film rights were bought, and there was there's been talk over the years, but which I believe is what happens with lots of projects that there's talk, there's at some point there's somebody attached to it.
Speaker 1: Or direct lively.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Jennifer Aniston was attached to what Alice Forgot for quite a while. But then you don't hear anything, so then you don't know if it's going to happen, yeah, or if they've moved on to something else.
Speaker 1: Well, he's being called upon to provide guidance if they are.
Speaker 2: I was really only involved as an interested bystander. So I've always made it clear that I don't want to write the screenplay. I think if I tried to get involved, i'd want to be too involved. And it's such a so many people involved with a film project. Yeah, and it's not my area of expertise.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's like you've had a baby and they've grown up and you're not going to follow them to work.
Speaker 2: No, you know, So I just yeah, I've just sometimes I just read the articles with interest myself.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, status check, truly madly guilty.
Speaker 2: That was optioned. I believe the screenplay was being written, but again, haven't heard anything about that for a while.
Speaker 1: Anything else that we need to The.
Speaker 2: Last Anniversary was my second novel, and they have finished filming that, and that's my first one that will be filmed on location exactly where I came up with the idea, on the Hawksbury River, so with an all Australian cast, so Theresa Palmers playing the main role as Sophie. So yeah, I'm thrilled with that one. So that's the next one that will come out quite soon.
Speaker 1: I feel like your new book, which we are here to talk about here one moment is a no brainer. As soon as I started reading it, I'm like, this is coming to my screen very very soon. I'll do a little synopsis on the book.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: It talks about fate.
Speaker 2: Would you agree, yes, definitely yeah?
Speaker 1: And would you if you knew when it was all gonna end? Would you do anything differently? Which is a question I love and I wouldn't because I've already changed it. I sort of had that moment a few years ago where I went, ill, this is also boring. What if I died tomorrow, I'd be so angry with myself. Ah, it seems like you're living your dream.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel very lucky in that way that I'm you know. I remember talking to my daughter once and she was saying, what would you do if you could do anything? And I said, well, actually, I'm doing my dream job. And I thought she'd be all this would be a special moment for her, and she said, oh, that's so cringe, mum. You do it, Mariati and I'm doing my dream job.
Speaker 1: I suppose it is a bit cringe, isn't it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but it's true.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how important work is to making you feel like you're having a good life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it can come in all sorts of ways. Kind of you can. I think you can have a job where the work itself is not necessarily that fulfilling, but the people around you. So you've got a wonderful group of friends. Yeah, and not everybody gets an amazing fulfilling job. It's just something, and so you get you can get your ful fulfillment in other ways from your hobbies.
Speaker 1: So long a day, I know.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I love I love my job absolutely, but I also love coming in here and seeing everybody. I get such a thrill, yes, from you know, just a little just normal interaction around like minded people. The book takes place on a flight from Hobart to Sydney, and that is one hour and fifty minutes. It's a very short flight. Did you take that flight and if so, what happened on it that made you go to such an interesting place?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So I regularly take that flight because my husband's Tasmanian, so I'm an honorary Tasmanian now. Yes, And I was coming out of Hobart and I was looking around at the other passengers around me, and I didn't have a book with me at the time, so I was just and I'd had a week's writing, so I was in a very reflective state of mind, and I was looking around at the other passengers, and the thought came into my head, this cheerful thought that every passenger on this plane is going to one day die. And then I was looking at each person and thinking, so, will you be the one? Will you make to one hundred and peacefully in your sleep, which is what we all hope for.
Speaker 1: Someone on the plane is going to be next?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I know? And who's that? Who is that? Exactly? And then it sort of it blew my mind thinking about the fact that one day in the future, so one hundred years in the future, that people could look back at the names of the people on this flight and all that data would be available. They could look up, how did this person including myself? And that's when I thought, what if that was that information was available right now and somebody walked down the aisle literally telling us what lay ahead.
Speaker 1: I would want to avoid eye contact, just like I do, like in a stand up show, if they're looking for audience participation.
Speaker 2: Would you say you wouldn't want to know?
Speaker 1: I think I wouldn't want to know.
Speaker 2: Would you want to know. I'd only want to know if it was a good prediction. But this is the thing. When I was writing the book, I think originally I thought everybody would have these amazing revelations about how to live their life, exactly like the revelation you had when if I died tomorrow. But then I when I got into it and was really imagining that, putting myself in the characters heads, the first thing you'd think is number one, I don't believe you. And in the same way that if you get a terrible diagnosis, the first thing you say is no, I want a second opinion. Yeah, and then you fight it. You'd say, Okay, I want to enroll me in a clinical trial, would let me try something new?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: People mostly fight the all the way they can, so, especially if I'm giving out different So somebody's going to die in a workplace accident, obviously, you're not just going to.
Speaker 1: Keep on going to the same job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you're going to change your life in some way.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think of what I would change if I was if Cherry told me that I had six years. Yes, the first thing I would do is stop madly trying to save for when I'm old and infirm.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that would the financials the only literal thing I would do. I'd keep working, Yeah, I would keep working. But again, sometimes I think I take it too literally. I'd say, why, what's going to happen in sixty six years? What can I do to change it? I want longer?
Speaker 1: Why do you want longer?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, And that's something that I always find really interesting when you read blog posts or interviews with people who really who are Often they're living with cancer, so they know that their time is finite, and they and each time when I read that, I still feel a sense of resistance, saying, no, no, they must get you better. Yeah, but they've it's got some sort of wisdom that I don't yet have. Because you're right, why do I want longer?
Speaker 1: I'm not afraid of death? Are you afraid of death?
Speaker 2: I only became afraid once I had children. I'm afraid of my children being there without I know.
Speaker 1: They'll be so sad. That's the only thing. I think. They'll just be so sad something I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, wow, I know.
Speaker 1: And I'm why and never make me sad?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. I can't stand to think of that. Yeah, And I think before I had children, I used to sometimes quite enjoy thinking of my own funeral and everybody be so sad.
Speaker 1: What a shay, We can't see it.
Speaker 2: If he's now you like me, but you don't want to think that about your children. That's unbearable.
Speaker 1: Do you have any signs from the universe or little things that you think are just for you that proves that you're on the right path? Minor corgyes?
Speaker 2: Really, so if you see one, then it means you're on the right path.
Speaker 1: Yep. I saw two yesterday and I went good girl. And then sometimes it's the weirdest thing when I'm in the middle of not a crisis, because nothing's a crisis, but when I'm in the middle of trying to work something out, if I see a corgy, I go, right, you're euro Yeah, you got anything like that? Some people have feathers.
Speaker 2: Or no, the only thing like a lot of people. When we lost Dad, then we started thinking about butterflies. And there was a day on the anniversary of his death when I was walking out to the car and the butterflies came straight on my face and made me sort of laugh and cry at the same time because it seemed so real. But then also there have been other times when and this would make Dad laugh, where I was walking the dog and there was a little butterfly floating along with us, and I was saying, there's dad coming for the coming for a walk with us. And then Daisy, my labrador, went and aged the butterflies, and then I laughed at myself. Oh sorry, sorry dad.
Speaker 1: Do you want to play around of what's in the belly bag? Leanne Moriarty, this is where yes, I give you a This has changed my life, by the way, really everything around my waist. Okay, getting essential hands free baby, Yes to you know, pick up dog poo or whatever I want, all the important stuff. You open it up and then whatever's inside you tell me what comes to mind. Okay, it's really snug in there. I had to really force it in.
Speaker 2: Okay, I do I say what it is? Yes?
Speaker 1: Say what is in the bum bag? The belly bag.
Speaker 2: Is in the ah, what is in the bum bagcau? Okay? What is in the belly bag is a packet of and it's really.
Speaker 1: You can get the force ofs out.
Speaker 2: Is a packet of Monte Carlo.
Speaker 1: Wise they're a packet of a packet.
Speaker 2: Of Monte Carlo's because Cherry, who's the main character in the book, loves the Monte Carlo biscuits. She had them with a dad with a cup of tea. And then she always remembers a conversation she had with her dad when he talks about the Monte Carlo fallacy, and she got confused because she thought they were talking about the biscuits, and so it just became a sort of yeah, that's a lovely memory for her.
Speaker 1: They are an Arnot's biscuit. Do you ever worry in your books? And again it's sort of the same question as do you cast as you're going along? Do you worry that the Monte Carlo is too Australia and international readers will not get it?
Speaker 2: No, I've because you know, we read books set in the US and everywhere else all all the time, so we we get to know other product names or other So in the beginning, when I first started writing, my American editors would often ask me to change things and say we don't understand that. But I was always pushed back a bit and say, well, if it makes sense in context, then let's leave it in So if we're talking about a kooka bar, then it's pretty clear that we're talking about word. There's other things where I understand. I don't want to pull the reader out of the story where they're confused, so I do let them change. I wish I didn't, but I understand why it's changing the boot of the car to the trunk of the car because it would be too hard for them to think what's going on.
Speaker 1: It's a shoe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Your books have been translated into forty languages. That is unbelievable. What is the most niche one that you can remember?
Speaker 2: I can't. I don't know. I can't think Estonian. You're probably yeah, I think that, yep, that might be right.
Speaker 1: Back to the Monte Carlo. They feature, of course in the Arnot's Cream Favorite.
Speaker 2: Yes, in this.
Speaker 1: Selection, we have the orange Slice, the shortbread cream, the Kingston, which is a new addition, I believe. I don't believe that was originally in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I seem to remember the Kingston coming out in the biscuit. Yeah, biscuit.
Speaker 1: Then we've got the Monte Carlo, of course, Jerry's favorite, and the Delta Cream. I'm going to open them up, and you, Leanne Moriarty, are going to rank them from top tier like your brother, down to last. Okay, and I'm very interested in where.
Speaker 2: You would I go, But sometimes it depends on your mood on the day.
Speaker 1: And the beverage.
Speaker 2: So we'll say a cup of tea, yes, and it's right now. So I would go with the Monte color first, number one, and then cherry yep, exactly. And then I would go with the short Bread because yet some days I would put the shortbread first, yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, and then the Kingston because I do remember my first bide. The Kingston is pretty amazing, like there's some coconut something, some special favor. Yeah, and then they're no good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Delta cream and the Orange slice, which.
Speaker 2: Is the worst, probably the orange slide.
Speaker 1: I agree last second, last, I agree with that. I agree with that the Monte Carlo was always saved for special line and we had ours in a like a brown cookie jar with a really bulbous you know, I remember, very very clearly, Leanne Moriarty, thank you so much for coming in and being on the Chrissy Cask.
Speaker 2: Oh my pleasure. It's been so much fun.
Speaker 1: It's it's so much fun. Her fab new release Here One Moment, is available at all good bookstores. Who does the audiobook?
Speaker 2: By the way, Oh Caroline Lee, but this time she's I don't earn the name of the other performer, but only they've done an amazing job. But people love Caroline Lee, and people.
Speaker 1: Love an audio book. And you're walking you know your whole what did I call it? Mental? Lax it in? And you can get it online, of course. I I'm going to get you to sign I've got two copies. I was lucky. I've brought one in and I'm going to get you to sign it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'd love to sign it with your beautiful pem.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir. And I'm going to give it away to you. Follow me on the Christy Cast on Insta and I will package it up and send it to you until next time. Christy Casters. Thank you so much, Lea.
Speaker 2: My pleasure, Chrissy