Speaker 1: Ls.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Late Debase. Good evening and welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: I'm Caleb Bond with Liz Storer and Joe Hildebrand.
Speaker 2: Well bad news.
Speaker 3: I'm afraid to tell you the prices of electric cars have plummeted because people don't want to buy them. Old bull mate that. Later in the show, Immigration Minister Andrew Giles has been caught out fibbing again about child rapists and other foreign criminals who were released due to a decision he made. We'll get into that in the papers, and a man who decided to live his life as a border collie says it was all a mistake.
Speaker 2: But first, it doesn't matter where you go.
Speaker 3: Now, the opening of an envelope school assembly, even when you get on the skybus to leave the airport in Melbourne, you get either a welcome to country or.
Speaker 2: An acknowledgment of country.
Speaker 3: And I think we're all sick of going along to some sort of event and you know, the first person gets up, the MC introduces whatever it is.
Speaker 2: And they give an acknowledgement of country.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, sure we did it to open the event, and then every subsequent speaker gets up and does it again. It has become a joke, but I didn't know it had become this much of a joke.
Speaker 2: One fella from Brisbane.
Speaker 3: Has gone online and said he was recently went to a job interview. Now, there were five people in this room, was a panel interview. He was going for a customer service job at an insurance company, and the interviewer gave what he calls a welcome to country. Now we don't know whether the interviewer was Aboriginal, in which case it would be a welcome to country. Otherwise, officially it's called an acknowledgment of country. But they felt the need in front of these five people going for the job to give a welcome and or acknowledgment of country. This fella said that he took it upon himself, this bloke, to do a welcome to country. He described the experiences weird and unnecessary. He said, I wanted to get others opinions on this, as I thought it was.
Speaker 2: Peak Australian corporate culture. Well you can say that again.
Speaker 3: At the time I didn't give it a second thought, but in retrospect.
Speaker 2: It's pretty weird and unnecessary.
Speaker 3: I mean, what else is it going to be listening you'll have nights like that.
Speaker 2: You go down to the letterbox.
Speaker 3: And you open the letterbox and you'll have to give an acknowledgment of country before you pull the mail out, and you go to the supermarket and there'll be someone standing at the front of coals when you walk in the front door to acknowledge the country that you're seriously a job interview.
Speaker 1: A job into view.
Speaker 4: I would have been standing to my feet being like, Nah, sorry, guys are clearly not a good fit for this place.
Speaker 1: All the best with that jog on.
Speaker 4: Remember when Marshall Langton said to us that if the no vote got up last year, welcome to Country would be no more because everyone would be too embarrassed to ask an Indigenous.
Speaker 1: Person to do one.
Speaker 4: And even if they did have the tamerity, she said, even if they did have the tamera to ask an Indigenous person to do a Welcome to.
Speaker 1: Country, the answer would be no.
Speaker 4: Well, don't threaten us with a good time, Marsha Langton, and then don't deliver on it, because we see this now blissfully going on as if nothing happened, as if the vast majority of Australia didn't vote last year to be like yeah. To be quite frank, we're really sick of this. I was interested in the poll in the Courier Mail today which simply asked do you think that Welcome to Country is being overused? Now? Ninety eight percent voted yes, and at the time that I voted, there was over ten thousand, one hundred votes, so it's.
Speaker 1: A pretty big poll.
Speaker 4: This guy who went to this interview is also quoted as saying, I understand companies doing these for big, important meetings with higher ups, but at a job interview, it just felt pointless. Go with your gut, mate, because it is pointless in any respect. Joe, how do you How do you like Welcome to Country?
Speaker 2: Are you well?
Speaker 5: I'd like to begin by acknowledging the or a nation and the gadical people and whose lands we gather this evening. My concern, My concern is that it looks it he's getting more and more ubiquous. I was a big support of the voice, as you know, and and I would go often when I was on my way here, I'd do what any real man does on his way to a late night Sky news show and went to b W.
Speaker 6: Just to look at the toy section.
Speaker 5: And I would hear and you would hear it actually played on a tape on repeating. I'm kind of thinking, amazing, who was that actually respecting? Like, who was that actually paying respects to like just like literally literally phoning it in, so phoning it in that you're not even phoning it in yourself. It's a recorded message that is phoning it in. And that's sort of my concern, and so any sort of everywhere. Another thing I did didn't realize there was an acknowledgment of Country on the opening of my new podcast on Nova, which is the real story with Joe Hilderbrant.
Speaker 6: But that how but that is how I even felt like.
Speaker 5: I'm not opposed to it in any way whatsoever, but that's how sort of baked in it is to everything. And my concern is not necessarily that it's there. My concern is, well, all right, will you talk the talk, but what are you actually doing about it?
Speaker 6: And I kind of think, well, you know, at.
Speaker 5: All these corporate events, you know, you go to my skyscraper and the middle of the Sydney CBD, and so we'd like to acknowledge.
Speaker 6: The traditional owners. Well, all right, then give it back to.
Speaker 2: The land back that you I or the.
Speaker 5: Law firm with the billions of dollars in real estate, like you could actually do something they never do, of course.
Speaker 3: But even like so on the weekend, I like to have a punt and you have a listen to tab Radio or Sky Sports Radio as it is here in Sydney, and even then they're playing these messages over and over throughout the day. We'd like to acknowledge the land from which we broadcast today. On and on it goes.
Speaker 2: Few people know.
Speaker 3: I think that the welcome to country was actually invented by Ernie Dingo because there was an event where some people were coming from some Pacific nations I believe to Australia and.
Speaker 1: They felt uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: They felt uncomfortable coming to Australia to do this without being welcomed to the land because that was custom back home and they didn't want to come on to someone else's land without being welcomed.
Speaker 2: So Ernie didn't go on a number.
Speaker 3: Of others came up with the first ceremony that was a welcomed country and it's just sort of taken on another life ever since. And I think part of the problem now is that because it is so overdone. It's played on bloody Sky sports radio, it's played in big w everyone who gets up to speak says it. It's even done at job interviews that it's lost all meaning. Like if you go by sporting it and they have a real welcome to country with a smoking ceremony whatever, you know, once in a blue moon, that's fine, but it happens so often now that everyone just rolls their eyes and groans.
Speaker 6: It literally means different things.
Speaker 5: So there's a welcome to country in which indigenous traits and actually comes and says a few words, and that is very very informal, and a lot of those it's also very lucrative proper businesses. They don't know as much as I'm getting a lot of these events. They'll come up and speak and say really like, they're really good speakers. They're funny, they tell really good stories and everything, heaps of jokes.
Speaker 6: They're really good. You should listen to them.
Speaker 5: The more the more sort of tokenistic sort of right of passage one, the sort of hairshirt one is that I acknowledge the traditional owners of the lands of which we've met, And that is the one that just constantly gets put out there on repeat, and that is not actually done by traditional owners or traditional Indigenous people at all. So again I think it's just this. I think the intentions are kind of good, but I think it is done firstly out of a kind of fear of saying the wrong thing and wanting to make sure that you're ticking all the boke boxes and crossing all the t's and dotting all the i's, but also people sort of thinking that, you know, feel feeling better about themselves just because they've said a few words without doing probably actuation understand the meaning. And so again I would much prefer instead of having a bunch of you know, non indigenous people all in a room acknowledging that they're on Indigenous land and there's no one sort of there to kind of acknowledge it too. Half the time because it's some corporate gig like go out there give money to like you know Australian you know, Literacy and Numeracy Foundation, or you know any number of the indigenous mentoring.
Speaker 2: Actually doing somebody that's right, put.
Speaker 5: Your money where your mouth is. That all these amazing charities I've done stuff with. Fed Holes is another one who overwhelmingly work with indigenous people just take that million bucks and slap it on the table and they can go out and do wonders with it instead of just sort of paying lip service to it all the time.
Speaker 3: I know it would make sense. Would let's move on to other things now?
Speaker 2: We've been talking about direction.
Speaker 3: Ninety nine for the last couple of days, and I was driving into work this evening, I thought, ah, I know what this reminds.
Speaker 2: Me of.
Speaker 5: Good idea only nine.
Speaker 3: Except in this case, of course, it wasn't a good idea ninety nine. This is exactly bad idea ninety nine.
Speaker 2: We've had another.
Speaker 3: Case of one of these people who had their potential deportation overturned by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.
Speaker 2: In this case a Sudanese migrant.
Speaker 3: Now, he'd lived overseas for twenty years before he.
Speaker 2: Came to Australia.
Speaker 3: But then he lived in Australia for fifteen years, and when he went to the AAT to claim that he should be allowed to stay here.
Speaker 2: He said, well, I'm actually Aboriginal.
Speaker 3: Now, yes, this man did not live in Australia for twenty years. He is a migrant to this country. He came over here and hooked up with an Aboriginal woman.
Speaker 2: He was with her for ten years. He was also convicted of bashing.
Speaker 3: Her by the way he had three kids with her, amongst other crimes that he had committed. But when he goes off to the AAT, he says, I self, I had and identify sorry as an Aboriginal person and consider Australia to be my country.
Speaker 2: And to give some.
Speaker 3: Weight to this, he says that he's participated in some smoking ceremonies, he's done Aboriginal art, he's learned how to play the didgerido, and for that reason he is Aboriginal and we cannot remove him from this country because of course, Direction ninety nine said that if a migrant had a long standing connection to the country, they should be allowed to stay here. But it's plainly obvious to anyone that this rule is wrong. It is not working. It's allowing criminals who are not from this country to remain here. Well, Clara O'Neil was grilled about this on Sunrise this morning and went about as well as you'd expect.
Speaker 7: One rape and disabled fourteen year old and a sixteen year old one raped a child between the age of ten and fourteen and one raped eight times, forty eight counts of sexual assault on twenty five women and a teen. The judge said he had no remorse. That's what we're dealing with. And you're still arguing support for the minister.
Speaker 1: Do you think that.
Speaker 8: Washes Look, Matt, I completely understand the concern that you have about these and the crimes that you've listed there are absolutely horrendous and no member of Parliament and no member of the government is going to disagree with that.
Speaker 2: And it got even better.
Speaker 8: Actually, Minister Giles has stepped in here. He's taking action as a good minister would do. He's doing the right thing. He's stepped in at the right moment.
Speaker 1: He stepped in at the right moment.
Speaker 7: Okay, A lot of people would dispute that he put in this direction, this ministerial direction last January. Then they use the laws, this direction that was put in by your government to stay in this country. So do you think it's maybe too late that Andrew Giles is acting now?
Speaker 1: I just reiterate what Minister Giles has said yesterday. Those visus were.
Speaker 8: Canceled by the part that government plays in this. An independent tribunal overturned those decisions.
Speaker 2: How did she say that with a straight face?
Speaker 3: Andrew Giles has just come through at the right minute to make all this.
Speaker 4: Well, when they're on the first clip, she's saying these are atrocious crimes. You know, they're indefensible, and then you went on to defend him. Of course the government wants to say, oh, it's an independent tribunal, washing our hands of this. They are acting on the rules that you made in your jolly direction ninety nine.
Speaker 1: That's how they're making.
Speaker 4: The decisions to overturn said cancelations. So you don't just get to kick the can down the road and say, oh, we're blaming it on the tribunal.
Speaker 1: So he's come out.
Speaker 4: Today and Charles or was it yesterday announced the review.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're going to have a review.
Speaker 4: This tribunal is going to be reviewed, and there's going to be yes.
Speaker 1: What he said.
Speaker 4: He said that the members of this new review tribunal were going to use common sense.
Speaker 1: Here's word, not mine.
Speaker 4: Now they're going to be using common sense and the safety of the community is going to be paramount, not their ties to the country. The safety of the community. You mean to tell me that they haven't been using common sense and that the safety of the community hasn't been paramount up to this point. Yes, that's exactly what he's saying, and it's thanks to his direction ninety nine.
Speaker 5: Look, I just find this so staggering. And I know people often accuse me of defending the in defense of all when it comes to the labor. Don't do it this time, Joe, I got nothing.
Speaker 6: I got nothing, Thank goodness.
Speaker 5: I was actually believe it or not, I was actually with our esteem colleague James Morrow of Outsiders on Sundays on Sky. And of course we both also work for the Daily Telegraph and we're doing anything on Daily Telegraph, a video for the Daily Telegraph, and I was saying this exact same, Why on earth did they ever have this thing in section ninety nine saying that ties to Australia had to be taken into consideration without simply saying, if you've abused someone, if you've bashed a woman, if you've committed rape or sexual assault, you've killed someone or as solid someone, doesn't matter who you identify as. It doesn't matter how much you go to work and pay your taxes and come home and mow the law, and you're gone you're out and make it clear and believe it or not. Just a couple of hours later. That is exactly what the government has done. And thank Christ because it has been so long in coming. And how you could have this kind of overarching thing. If they've got ties to the community, then that should be emphasized and that should be able to they should be able to stay without having a very an equally clear carve out like they said, oh you know things like do these things like you know, if they've killed someone that should be taken into consideration, or you think and of course you've got this thing saying well, no, their ties to the country you have to bear. And they are doing now, of course what they should.
Speaker 6: Have done long ago.
Speaker 5: Now I doubt very much was Andrew Giles who came up with this all on his own. Some I think Claire O'Neil, obviously has to publicly defend him, would be privately seething because she has to eat the proverbial sandwich every time he comes out and stuffs up, and she has to go and clean up the mess. I dare say the Prime Minister would have either said do this or told them to fix it. And this is the fix they've come up with, so good on albow for that. But again the idea that you know, common sense or the safety of the community was not paramount before this came along just shows I think how completely incompetent, out of his depth Andrew Giles is.
Speaker 6: And again he complains about the.
Speaker 5: Fact that the that the government has canceled these visas and then the administrative appeals tribunals overturned them. Well, firstly, the person, the head the Chief Commission of the Administrative Appeals Tribune that actually beld the cat on this is a former labor left colleague of Andrew Giles, a former Speaker of the House Protection who said I have to do this because this is what this directive clearly states exactly right.
Speaker 6: So there's that as well.
Speaker 5: But not only that, he says, oh, but I canceled the visas and then this independent tribunal that I've got no control over then overturn my cancelation. He gave them the power to overturn that cancelation. He clearly made it explicitly in office at the heads of no one, it seems, made it easier for them to overturn cancelation of visas because anyone can plea. So again there's a level of kind of immorality in terms of allowing these things. I mean, we were just talking about Indigenous people and paying respects to them. What says paying respects to Indigenous people more than allowing an Indigenous woman to be bashed by a Pseudanese immigrant claiming to be Indigenous and having him still able to stay in the country in.
Speaker 6: The orbit of his victim, one of his at least they said it.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is knife crime, cast.
Speaker 5: It's a particular, it's a particular it's a particular, dark irony that you would have an Administry of Decisions Try and ad Ministry Appeals tribunal saying oh, you know, we have to respect Indigenous people by giving this non Indigenous person the right to stay in Australia so he can continue to abuse his Indigenous partner. I mean, what kind of Dantean hell are we living in where that actually seems like a common sense decision by a quasi judicial body, and where the government means it can.
Speaker 4: Be a criminal immigrant in this country, but as long as you have strong.
Speaker 1: Enough ties, it's fine.
Speaker 4: So if you've maybe had a kid here, or you've married someone here.
Speaker 1: Oh well you've.
Speaker 4: Got ties, so you get to stay and it's all just through to the keeper.
Speaker 1: Never you mind.
Speaker 4: He's Giles today, straight face, telling us I'm on the job. I'm going to fix it.
Speaker 7: I will be updating Ministerial Direction ninety nine, as the Prime.
Speaker 2: Minister has just said order.
Speaker 1: The new direction will order that.
Speaker 4: All members of the at will adopt a common sense approach to visa decision. Oh well, thank god, some common sense that is new for you and your government, isn't it. We can't wait for this new ubed tribunal. It can't come fast enough.
Speaker 1: But let's go to Parramatta.
Speaker 4: Now we're they're thinking, oh, there's a lot of e bikes on the road and these are getting.
Speaker 1: Dodger and dodger.
Speaker 4: These are motorized boat bikes, right, you see them.
Speaker 3: It's all around boats motivating.
Speaker 4: But they're like low powered motorbikes basically. I think they're like what twenty five CC's. But a lot of people who do deliver rou uber eats they get these bikes and that's how they get around. That's how they earn a buck delivering you your food. Well, they've decided it's getting unsafe because there's no license for these people getting around on these putt put bikes. And here's another opportunity for us to regulate.
Speaker 1: Regulate.
Speaker 4: You can't even jump on an e bike anymore, says the City of Paramatta.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have to get a license.
Speaker 3: So what they're saying is I know that there's a lot of Indian and other ethnicities getting around on these e bucks making money.
Speaker 2: Because well that's what they've seen. They literally said it.
Speaker 3: If you don't read the story online, they.
Speaker 2: Actually specific I wasn't going.
Speaker 3: To go to that they specifically, they specifically point out Indians.
Speaker 4: Oh so it would be different if it were white people on these.
Speaker 3: What they're saying is they have foreign licenses. They don't have Australian licenses. Therefore they don't understand the Australian road rules, so they don't know how to ride a bike on Australian roads. Absolute garbage, Like I'm sorry if you don't know how to ride a bike of any persuade, and you probably didn't get taught very well as a child. I don't think it matters whether you are black, white, brindle, whether you came here from India or Pakistan or Africa or anywhere else on the face of the planet. You can ride a bike just as badly as anyone.
Speaker 2: Who was born here.
Speaker 3: Why do we want to take away all these freedoms? Because, of course, the great thing about a bike, and the people say they should be registered because people run red lights on bikes, and they should have speed cameras because people get upset motors, Oh my god. But the great freedom of a bike is that you don't have to obey the rules.
Speaker 2: You can evade the rules.
Speaker 3: And if you take that away from cycling, watch the point of cycling.
Speaker 5: Caleb Bond, the world's only conservative pro cyclist.
Speaker 3: I don't want the bike lay, I don't want the bike lines.
Speaker 5: I just want to be able to ride on people's rooftops. Firstly, people say the Indians are not as good drivers as Australia, don't know how to drive. They are ten times better than Australian drivers. I have been driving around in you Deli and the.
Speaker 6: Drivers do Honestly.
Speaker 5: There is a reason the road toll there is approximately one hundred and forty thousand a year.
Speaker 6: But still the fact that they get anywhere all the time incredible. It's amazing.
Speaker 5: I've seen them, and it's just it's like this sort of hive mind. They turn a two lane road that was like meant to be two lanes each way, I thought, and it turns into a seven lane road with three lanes squeezed into the two lanes one way, three lanes squeezed into two lanes the other way, and then one lane right in the middle, where people are driving straight at one another and then dodging each other at the last minute in this kind of crazy took took game of chicken.
Speaker 6: If you're via.
Speaker 5: One centimeter to the rest, and never check your rearview mirrors. If you do, you're dead already because you can't afford to take your eyes one.
Speaker 1: Your mate're some respect?
Speaker 6: Give an e bike right, some respect? Can we be watching and learning?
Speaker 3: I mean, because they say to a danger to people on the foot.
Speaker 6: Little ladies, not too many of them, but let's be honest.
Speaker 3: There are talk about it, but what about people who get around on those mobility and they can be just as much of a menace as anyone on an e bike.
Speaker 2: You're on a.
Speaker 3: Motorized bike or whatever it might be, you're trundling down the footpath you're just as prone to knock someone over. So do we then say that you need to have a license to get on a mobility scooter? Do we say that kids need licenses to get a bike? They'll need a license to get an electric scooter to ride around his kid? Like?
Speaker 2: Where does this stuff?
Speaker 4: In?
Speaker 5: An e bike and a mobility scooter going head to head in Harris Park.
Speaker 2: I want to see drag races.
Speaker 3: Actually, can we get drag races of mobility scooters.
Speaker 6: Bike library as we speak.
Speaker 3: I'll even put up a small purse for a prize to make it happen if someone can organize it.
Speaker 2: But I'll tell you who you.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't want to see in a drag that's an electric vehicle right now?
Speaker 2: Actually, so I should have bit.
Speaker 3: Some of them are pretty fast, particularly the Tesla's. But the big problem with electric vehicles, of course, is they don't make any noise. I mean they want to drag race, you want lots and lots of noise. And I'm certainly not the only one who seems to have a problem with electric vehicles. Because the market has really softened. People aren't They're not buying them in the same numbers that they were because of course they've worked out that it's all a bit of a sham. And one of the great shams of it all now is that there's no resale value in these things.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: There are two reasons for that. One is that the price of new electric vehicles keeps going through the floor again because they can't sell them. So the manufacturers are now reducing their prices on the shop floor significantly. If you want to buy a Tesla model, why that's gone from seventy two three hundred to sixty thousand, nine hundred.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty big drop.
Speaker 3: A pergoh E two thousand and eight has gone, would you believe it, from sixty three thousand to third nine thousand, nine ninety.
Speaker 2: That is a real.
Speaker 3: Reduction in the price because they really need people to buy them now. The consequence of that is that if you bought it for sixty thousand last week and now the car's worth thirty nine thousand, if you go and try to sell it in a year's time, the depreciation is at least twenty thousand dollars. We all know you drive a car off the shop floor and you lose value, but you lose even more value with electric vehicles now because the prices keep going down and then the technology keeps improving with every year. So every time the range goes up the driving range on a new electric car, it means your old electric car is worth less and less and less. It's no surprise I think that people are not buying them and now that these manufacturers are desperate to try and move them off the dealership floor.
Speaker 2: Because people have woken up and gone, you know, it sounded.
Speaker 3: Nice for a few minutes, but it's just not practical.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not to mention charging them as an absolute nightmare. There's lines out the door, no where.
Speaker 1: You pull in.
Speaker 4: I see them all the time, and I'm just like, good luck with that. Fueling up still takes less than two minutes.
Speaker 1: But the angle that.
Speaker 4: Some people have taken on this, like finance giant Ross Gerber saying that no, this is due to Musk.
Speaker 9: I love that and all the he keeps coming out with all this conservative plat trap and saying all these controversial things, and that.
Speaker 4: Is what people think of when they decide not to buy a Tesla.
Speaker 1: So he is at least I.
Speaker 6: Reckon who buys a Tesla? Why do you buy a Tesla?
Speaker 5: To signal to the world, what a progressive planet, loving, touchy feely, you know, nice super guy I am. But that ultimate virtine is that ultimate virtue signal. And then when along goes on you know X or whatever it's called now and says you no annoying, uncomfortable things like I believe in free speech or whatever, and suddenly he's a pariah of the left. Then suddenly your tesla is signaling the opposite. Think this giant seventy thousand dollars virtue signaling exercise is suddenly sing signaling the wrong virtue signaling advice. And so suddenly like, oh, I'm not going to take it out of the people will think if I drive my tesla, I like Elon musk lost Gerber. I don't know who he is or whether he's a company or a person.
Speaker 4: Or he's actually an investor in Tesla himself.
Speaker 5: But I reckon, I reckon he's onto something because you know, obviously, like you said, the reason you buy an electric car is it can't be because it's more convenient, because it's not because you have to wait for half I can't even wait on my phone charge cheap whatever whatever you do it to show the world. You're a massive prog rock wanker. And if Elon Musk.
Speaker 1: That is what I think every time I see one.
Speaker 5: If Elon Musk is suddenly the opposite of what you're trying to say to everybody, then suddenly your tesla is worthless. And as for the Purgos, well we all know why they're worthless, because they're Pergos. Want to buy pergo Honestly.
Speaker 3: Lecture of cars when you're getting around in the old infestation of German cockr it's supposed to be.
Speaker 5: That has been, that has been fumigated, and I now just need to get it to the panel better for the front because I had another incident in the Aldi car park.
Speaker 6: That's another story.
Speaker 3: German not f If you can get an electric conversion kit, would you do it to you?
Speaker 6: It's already converted to LPG. It's already like anything to an EV.
Speaker 4: That's that's the that's a waste.
Speaker 5: My mechanic Peter who believes that the human race was founded by giant alien visitors to the Pyramids of Kazak.
Speaker 1: Has it been disproved?
Speaker 6: No, it hasn't. No, I'm all in is the smartest man.
Speaker 5: Apparently there are actually ways where you can get your favorite old car, like your American muscle car that you love, and they will take out the old petrol engine and put in an electric engen Yeah, yeah, and seventy or eighty thousand dollars cloud. It's ridiculous thing it can buy.
Speaker 4: You can bribe almost two teslas for that.
Speaker 3: Imagine taking an old Mustang and turn it into an ev.
Speaker 6: Again take recording of the muffler now outlawed.
Speaker 4: Any Prime Minister worth a grain of salt would just be like, don't touch the vintage cars. To Victoria now where we're all very concerned about the problem of DV in our country and we are hearing a lot about it and what a scourge it is. It seems Premier just Cinra Allen has come up with the perfect solution, and that is to get Tim Richson MP to become the Parliamentary Secretary for Men's Behavior Change. He proudly tweets today, I want to share.
Speaker 1: With you some pretty big news.
Speaker 4: Premier just Center Allen has asked me to serve as the Parliamentary Sector Secretary for Men's.
Speaker 1: Behavior Change a nation.
Speaker 4: First, Can I just say I absolutely hate this. Men do not need to change their behavior. This is buying into this insidious idea. There he is, doesn't he look ready to change your behavior? Men? Into this insidious idea that men across the board are a massive problem toxic masculinity, everyone needs to change their behavior instead of what we know to be a handful of repeat offenders in the DV space.
Speaker 5: I would just like to take issue with Tim Richardson's definition of pretty big news on the Parliamentary Secretary for Men's Behavioral Challenge. I mean, again, like with the indigenous issue, this is a very very serious issue, and yet it seems to get treated with the most tookenistic correct virtus sing what is this going to?
Speaker 1: That's right?
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, is he now the behavior police? Who does he think? You know, which of the repeat violent offenders who murdered their ex partners over the last few months that we've seen splashed across all the times, which of them does he think he could have had a quiet cup of tea with and everything would have been okay? Like, I just do not understand how people think on this issue. And again you are right there. You know, these stats are not brought up that very often because it's not it doesn't serve a convenient political narrative. But you know, domestic violence, like all forms of violence, is a criminal issue. It is not you know, you can call it a lot of you when you say it's a political issue, but primarily it's a criminal issue.
Speaker 6: These people, people who are.
Speaker 5: Prepared to be violent to break the law, do horrible things to the people they should be loving and protecting because they're psychotic, nasty, violent people with incredibly poor impulse control and no empathy for other people around them.
Speaker 6: So the idea that you know, hi, how are you? What was that Barry? Was it?
Speaker 5: Yes, Hi, I'm Tim, I'm the new Parliamentary Secretary for Men's Behavioral Change. That this would change that I mean two percent of people. An Australian institu of Criminology report that seemed to disappear without us trace despite the fate. It was the first and only comprehensive study of the causes behind domestic violence and pulled together one hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of other studies, thousands of documents, and it found that, among many other things, there was a report that found that fifty percent of domestic violence assaults were committed by two percent of people. Yeah, so that's the level of repeat offenders. If you look at all the high profile murders that have just been so gut churning and chilling, not a single one of them came out of the blue, not a single one. And while the Victorian governments were putting in Parliamentary Secretary to the Mindehovi trade, you know what the new South Wales government, a good labor right government, is doing. It is making laws so that people who get charged with domestic violence offenses don't get bail, they don't get out again with a window of a couple of months to kill the person for revenge before they know they're going to go away in the slammer. That is how you tackle this problem, not with these namby pamby bollocks. Oh look at me. I care so much, but I'm not really doing anything down south of the.
Speaker 2: Marrat as well it should be.
Speaker 3: And of course it denies having a men's behavior change. Parliamentary secretary denies that there other forms of domestic violence.
Speaker 2: Also, it's not always men.
Speaker 6: It is over and so and so.
Speaker 3: It's you're pinpointing one particular form of domestic violence and then ignoring the rest. And imagine if you if you were a bloke or even a woman who was a victim of domestic violence by another woman, if you're in a lesbian partnership, you would look at something like that and go, well, I suppose the violence.
Speaker 6: I you wouldn't that fair enough?
Speaker 5: But those cases are extreme that those cases are extremely rare statistically the overlalling majority, and sure do South Wales the entirety of death in a particularly year. They did it started, they went through all the cases. It is men and women. So I've got no problem with that. But again instead of just saying, oh look I've got a little name badge now that said that I'm going to change your behavior, you know, And again it's sort of another We've had decades now of education campaigns changing with favor. If anything, the problem has got worse. And this is why people's ou admission it's a scourge. It's a pandemic of domestic files. It's less than terrorism. And this is after all, these broad education campaigns speaking to all men have been out there in full force for years and years and years. Clearly they're not working because they're not targeting the real trouble spots. It's like putting you know, it's like putting a speed camera on every single corner instead of the corner you know that the deadly accidents are happening at.
Speaker 6: Instead of targeting the most at.
Speaker 5: Risk people, the most at risk areas, they're just going all men, can you please be better.
Speaker 4: And running jolly ads that we pay millions of dollars for, Like it starts with this respect.
Speaker 1: And all this kind of thing.
Speaker 4: The DV perpetrators aren't watching your dizzy little ads going yeah, you know what, I should really pull my socks up and stop bashing women for crying out a loud, do your research and actually do things that are going to affect change, like you just said we are doing in New South Wales, thank goodness. Quickly to the States now, where Donald Trump's criminal trial has just wrapped up. Now we've just got to wait to hear what the jury will come up with. It could be hours, it could be days. We're all on the edge of our seats to see how this latest witch hunt is going to end.
Speaker 10: But actor Robert de Niro took it upon himself to rock up outside the court today on the final day of all the action and let everyone know where he stood.
Speaker 1: I don't mean to scare you. No, no, wait, maybe.
Speaker 6: I do mean to scare you.
Speaker 11: If Trump returns to the White House, you can kiss these freedoms goodbye that we all take for granted, and elections forget about it.
Speaker 6: That's over, that's done.
Speaker 1: If he gets in, I can tell you right no now, he will never leave. What kind of hysterical clap trap is this? If he gets in, he'll never leave. We'll never have another election, all our freedoms.
Speaker 4: Gorne Poof of course this went down really well with the Trump supporters outside court.
Speaker 11: You're you areas you work, your suck trash.
Speaker 6: Knock at movies, don't go after the movie.
Speaker 1: How the Democrats what? I don't know whether this was in conjunction with.
Speaker 4: The Democrats, who would have sat around being like our eighty one year old really seen old president is proving unpopular.
Speaker 12: Let's wheel out a seemingly equally unhinged eighty year old man to trumpet how great he is, Ladies and gentlemen, Robert Nero and one of his most acting roles, yet some kind.
Speaker 6: Of remember the law to kill Trump gets re elected, he will never.
Speaker 3: He didn't do his his script rehearsal before he went his show, people try.
Speaker 4: To give him passion speeches from notes.
Speaker 5: When I first heard this, I thought, I thought, yeah, Robert de Niro is just wandering around soho and he's just kind of, you know, got lost and ended up on the court steps and going, oh, I'm going to say something about Trump. Megan Kelly said earlier on Paul Murray that that this was actually part of a sort of orchestrated campaign by the Democrats to come.
Speaker 6: And it's the worst thing.
Speaker 5: Have they learned nothing from the fact that when Donald Trump was out there and the Steel States speaking to a thousands people that rallies about what he was going to do for blue collar workers. Hillary Clinton was hanging out with Beyonce, like, who do we know who's a real man of the people.
Speaker 13: Robert de Niro, Yeah, Raging Bull. You know, it's like that was a movie. He was acting. He's not really a doubt and he'll boxer seeming the movie star.
Speaker 3: He thinks the US is about to turn into a hotel California or of course you can check out, but you can never leave. Donald Trump outside court today of course, is now waiting for the deliberation well, he was as entertaining as always.
Speaker 2: Maybe no mistake about it. I'm here becot herself crooked.
Speaker 7: Joe Biden, the worst president in the history of our country, is destroying our country.
Speaker 2: He's destroying our country and he's also destroying it with the weaponization. And this is purely his webanization.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's going to be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of days.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 4: So the Dems rolled out dear Niro and someone who didn't need to be paid or approached by the Republicans, Star for Star Dennis Quaid. Here he is talking to Pierce Morgan saying, Hey.
Speaker 1: Trump's not perfect, but he's got my vote.
Speaker 6: I think I'm going to vote for him.
Speaker 14: I was ready not to vote for Trump until what I saw is more than politics. I see a weaponization of our justice system and a challenge to our constitutions as Americans that I don't think we're going to have. And you know, Trump is the most investigated person probably in the history of the world, and they haven't been able to really get him. People might call him an asshole, but he's my asshole.
Speaker 1: How's that for endorsement? This guy's an asshole.
Speaker 10: He's my assle Stella Stelly.
Speaker 4: You cannot for better ratings than that.
Speaker 5: It's amazing and I've just got to say I'm really looking forward to the next Robert Dener Dennis Quaid. I think that's kind of you know, the dramatic tension is.
Speaker 3: But you know, the one thing about Dennis Quaid was he didn't have to read from notes in order to give that speech.
Speaker 2: He actually just sort of said it on the spot.
Speaker 3: It's amazing how you feel like you can trust someone when they can talk from the heart, unlike Robert de Niro. All right, coming up in the papers, we'll tell you about one Australian town where break ins have increased by seventy percent.
Speaker 2: Will tell you where it is after the break.
Speaker 3: All right, let's get stuck into the papers, starting with the Australian Tomorrow. Unbalanced Tingle, I've seen a bit unbalanced.
Speaker 2: Not being able to pronounce the headline, Abe German.
Speaker 3: Stingles ABC News chief's humiliating rebuke high profile ABC political journalist law At Tingle has been publicly lambastard by the public broadcaster's new boss, who said the veteran reporters fierce criticism of Opposition leader Peter Dutton's policies on migration, on housing, and her assertion that Australia is a racist country failed to meet the organization's editorial standards. Oh knock me over with a feather, Dart, I couldn't have been able to tell that, Joe.
Speaker 5: I guarantee you side unseen right now. There is a Twitter hashtag that spouted about thirty thousand following.
Speaker 6: And says, standish, I guarantee it.
Speaker 5: I haven't heard, I don't know, I haven't looked. I'm just saying put the house idea. But this is the thing that they were all they will say. This is another example of ABC's lurch to the right. Under whoever it is, either Butcher or Kick Williams or whatever it is, you can just absolutely guarantee.
Speaker 3: The people who because balance is alert to the right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guarantee you all the crazy rusted on ABC sort of you know, boomer socialists who never came back from Woodstock, plus all the new ones that they are going to be losing their pajamas over this.
Speaker 1: They just love what they call a brusal takedown.
Speaker 4: Though in his brutal takedown of Tingle, mister Stephens said, although the remarks were conversational and not me in her work capacity, the ABC and its employees have unique obligations in the Australian media.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds so brutal.
Speaker 4: It sounds like the really smashed it for it news boss.
Speaker 1: Go get him.
Speaker 5: Of course it was the Odds that first broke the side. Sophie Ellsworth. The real sacrifice to journalism actually schlept it to the Sydney Writers Festival and had to sit through the whole thing.
Speaker 6: Just what a sacrifice to get that.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I'd be asking for triple time to go and do an assignment.
Speaker 5: Another quick thanks to Albow for implementing the policy that James and I came up with on the Daily Telegraph video site. Immigration Minister Andrew Giles was born month after the Albanesi government was elected that up to two thousand, eight hundred cases could be impacted by its decision to soften Section five oh one visa cancelations, undermining his claim that judges had misinterpreted Direction ninety nine when allowing foreign born rapists, pedophiles and other criminals to stay in Australia. That's not a paragraph you want to read, is it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not like we didn't already know.
Speaker 4: I mean in the Senate hearing just yesterday, Yes, it was Tuesday, just yesterday. We already were told that. They were like, don't let him blame.
Speaker 1: Us for anything.
Speaker 4: We're acting on his directions, and we warned him that should he go ahead with Direction ninety nine, it would result in more criminal immigrants just being able to stay here and we're helpless to which is odd because his defense is why wasn't I warned, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Know, exactly.
Speaker 4: Tell me that this was the word for words said that in the Senate here, and going back.
Speaker 3: To something you said earlier, I think that Andrew Giles is the child in nappies and Clara O'Neill is the hapless mother trying to clean him up. That's where we've gotten to. If he's not a dead man walking, then there's something seriously wrong.
Speaker 4: Well, we know there's a lot of things seriously wrong with this government. They don't seem to have a problem with him. To the front page of the Herald Son, now there's been a breakthrough in the Sam Murphy murder case.
Speaker 1: We've found it, reads the splash.
Speaker 9: Nearly four months police have desperately hoped for a key clue in the search for missing mum Cementa Murphy. On Wednesday, there were hugs and high fives at what.
Speaker 4: Is hoped will be a major breakthrough after searchers uncovered a mobile phone at a dam in bunig Jong. So we know that Patrick Stephenson, the twenty two year old tradesman, he has been charged with her murderer. He'll would return to court in August. But so far, this is when I'm like, you know what, I don't think it should be against the law to just torture those kind of people.
Speaker 1: And be like, we need to know what happened? Where is she? But of course, in lieu.
Speaker 4: Of that, we have a phone which hopefully police will be able to get into and find out perhaps what her last moments looked like.
Speaker 3: Look, secretly, some things cops do behind closed doors may venture on torture. But the phone that they found today was apparently in a leather wallet and enclosed in that leather wallet, from what reporters who were there could see were credit cards and potentially ID cards and that kind of thing. So in terms of a breakthrough in this case, I mean they still have not found the body.
Speaker 5: It just defies belief and they started to just doing my head in. But even the fact that it's taken so long that they found this in a dam, I mean, it is almost the equivalent of a needle in.
Speaker 6: A haste, And it just gives you.
Speaker 5: I suppose in case of just the scale and the huge resources that have gone into this, the amount of combing through that they must have done, yees, phenomenal. Now we promised, and so we shall deliver. The town where city wrestles with a seventy percent spike in break ins over the past decade is, of course, beautiful downtown Townsville, where the Townsville Bully reports sleepless nights and shattered nerves are becoming the norm for victims of crime in Townsville. As the city wrestles with a seventy percent spike in break ins over the past decade, Police data shows the number of unlawful entry offenses saw it from three thousand, two hundred four and twenty thirteen to five thousand, four hundred and seventy four in twenty twenty three, signaling a growing concern. I think growing concern is probably something of an understatement.
Speaker 2: I would have thought so.
Speaker 3: And every one of these headlines that comes forward in Queensland over the next few months is just poisoned for Stephen Miles and the state government up there.
Speaker 6: But it's all made up in Kayleb.
Speaker 3: That's exactly as they said, there is no crime wave. It's just a perception and it's the Meja lying to you.
Speaker 6: A lot of electric scooters in townships.
Speaker 2: Electric with foreign weavers getting around on them.
Speaker 3: But every one of these stories just needs to be driven home because the paliche now Miles government had so long to do something about youth crime and it just gets worse and worse and worse.
Speaker 4: But you know, they had their brand new eleven points plan to tackle the hum crime crisis is.
Speaker 1: In the States.
Speaker 4: This is their fifth time they've had a point plan. It started out with five points, then it was a different five points. Now we're up to eleven points, so you know what's going to work.
Speaker 1: The last one was a ten point plan.
Speaker 4: This one's an eleven point actual points.
Speaker 6: It turns out there was no point.
Speaker 3: Indeed, nothing fixes anything better than an eleven point plan. After the break, the man who decided he was going to live as a border collide you reckon, he could stick to it.
Speaker 2: You'll find that.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: There are some mornings I wake up and look at my two cats on the bed, Boo and clawed Claude named for Claude Crow of the Adelaide Crows by the way.
Speaker 1: Oh God, why would you do? Wouldn't it be.
Speaker 3: Niceudn't it be nice if I could live the life of a cat, even though you had to lick your own bam and all sorts of stuff. But there was one blocal Liz who decided he actually wanted to be a border college He did.
Speaker 4: His name is Toco, and in twenty twenty two he realized his dream after spending fourteen thousand dollars on a very elaborate border collie outfit. But he's now decided in twenty twenty four that it's actually really hard to walk in this costume.
Speaker 1: As a human. It's hard to walk on all fours.
Speaker 4: So he's calling time on his lifelong fantasy of becoming an animal. I guess he's fulfilled it now, Joe.
Speaker 1: So he's like, you know what, I'm one, I'm done here.
Speaker 5: I just have so many questions, but one of them that's terrifying.
Speaker 4: I hope no kids will one of them, because that is just and that poor dog is a.
Speaker 2: Mate. You wouldn't put him over the but look, you can't even move. But like.
Speaker 3: If someone walks into your costume shop and says, I want to border collie costume because I want to live as a border Collie, you don't make him the border collie costume. Yes you don't.
Speaker 6: He takes a man.
Speaker 3: But then you call the local you know, asylum, and go, there's a dude here who wants to live as a border Collie.
Speaker 5: Like Judge, Egie was a bear. I can't I live like a border college No. The real question here is firstly, when you tease this story before the break, he said, and do you think you follow through with it as if this was a story about millennials not being able to commit to projects. And then when you're introducing it after the break, you make it about how you want to live like a cat, even though it could involve liking your own butt? Will we And then you have the to marrate it to Judge Toko, are you telling me that you may be a magistrate?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, but cats and dogs and whatever mean animals that live in the home, don't have to work, they don't pay any rent.
Speaker 2: You're telling me you've never wanted to live like that.
Speaker 5: I'm having to lick your own butt every day. I mean, you know what, I think. I'd like to catch the train and go to work.
Speaker 2: Look, I tell you what.
Speaker 3: I want to come back as a race horse because I know how well they treated.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for your company.
Speaker 3: Tonight upnixt the reader, Pan and your show Goodnes