Speaker 1: It's really good to see you look gorgeous as always.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm getting more sleep now so I feel like I maybe have stopped dating in dog ears.
Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to Something to Talk About the Stella podcast. I'm Sarah lamafain to your host, and every week I sit down with some of the biggest names in the country because when Australia's celebrities are ready to talk, they come to Something to talk about. Twelve months ago, almost of the day, Brooke Boney was lying in bed in the early hours of the morning preparing for one of the biggest announcements of her life. She was quitting the Today Show to move to the UK to enroll in the Masters at Oxford University.
Speaker 2: I don't want to go into too much right now, because there will be plenty of time for goodbyes and thank yous, but I just wanted to share that good slash bad news with you all this morning.
Speaker 1: For many people, it was a shock because for a television presenter, the Today Show is a kind of job you never leave, but not for Brook.
Speaker 2: I always wanted to do things so that I could show like young women from the country, or young Aboriginal girls, or you know, any I guess anyone really like that. You know, if you want to do something that it's kind of it's not beyond you, if you work really hard and there are lots of people who help you, and if you're lucky.
Speaker 1: A proud Gamilla Roy woman, Brook worked hard at building a career in journalism and became the first Indigenous woman on a commercial, breakfast TV show when she joined The Today Show six years ago as a news and entertainment reporter. Now, twelve months on from that shock announcement, Brook joins me from her dorm room in Oxford to talk about what her life looks like since leaving Today and to chat about some of the revelations in her new memoir, All of It, including her thoughts on body image, fertility, fame, and the truth about First Nations representation on Australian TV. Brooke Bowney, Welcome to the Stellar Podcast.
Speaker 2: Sarah. Thank you. It's so nice to see you.
Speaker 1: It is so nice to see you too. I used to see you all the time in Australia at the studio on the Today Show and then of course you're packed up and you moved to Oxford, which is where you are beaming into this interview from literally from your dorm room. Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm inside my dorm room. So my college is San Antony's. You can see kind of out the window that the trees are starting to get little tiny buds on them, but it is freezing cold, and I've got class today. I've got exams next week, so I'm very much feeling like a student and not like a Today's Show host anymore, like when I used to see you early in the morning.
Speaker 1: Brook, Congratulations on your memoir, which is coming out very soon. I'm going to hold it up for people that are watching it on YouTube. I mean, it's exciting for me to hold this book. I can only imagine how exciting it is for you who wrote the book.
Speaker 2: It feels kind of surreal, so like I feel like everyone says this about themselves, and I swear I'm not being disingenuous, but to be somewhere like Oxford or in Oxford, and then to have written a book as well, I didn't ever think that I would do things like that, Like I didn't. I thought that those things were for like, really exceptional people, for people who weren't me. Basically, I remember going with a walk for a walk with a friend in Bonda would have been about maybe nearly ten years ago. I probably just started on Triple J and he'd just finished in Oxford and he was writing a book, and I was like, wow, like that's so impressive, that is so cool. And it didn't even occur to me that those things would be something that I could do. It wasn't even like, oh, that's aspirational. It seemed so far out of the realm of possibility for me, and so to have done it now it just feels surreal, like it doesn't feel like it's happening to me. I feel like I've stepped onto a different timeline.
Speaker 1: I wanted to actually start where your book starts, which is almost exactly a year ago, March twenty twenty four, and you write about waking up and knowing that you were prepared bring yourself, bracing yourself really to tell the entire nation that you had decided to leave your job as a news and entertainment presenter on the Today Show on Breakfast TV, and as we've just talked about, moved to the other side of the world and study a master's at Oxford University. Take us back if you could to that morning.
Speaker 2: Even hearing you say that, it makes me feel like a bit uneasy, like I'm going through it again. Like I remember first getting the email to say that I'd gotten in and then trying to make the decision because I got a couple of different offers, so I was trying to make the decision about where I was going to go, and then thinking like, am I haven't going to be allowed to go? Are they going to are they going to let me do this? Is this? You know, I'm contracted for longer than you know when this offer, you know, is coming through. And I remember calling my agent, Michelle and being like can you I need to speak to you? Can you sit down? And she was sort of like yes, because you know what it's like if you get a phone call like that, you think someone is like sick, or there's something going on, or I think probably people thought, oh, she's pregnant, like when I had to tell them because I was so sort of serious with the tone. I'm like, Okay, you need to be somewhere alone and you need to sit down, and just trying to explain to her and sort of like walk her through it was so bizarre, and then you know, as it got sort of closer and closer to the day where I had to tell my boss Burlow, and you know, you know what Burlo's like, like he's so sort of jovial, but you know, quite serious as well. And so we finish our meeting, like our editorial meeting that we have every day after the show, and I was like, oh, can you just can you just stay? I just wanted to talk to you about something, and he was sort of like, what's going on? And the immediate response from everyone was it was just joy because you know, how could you possibly be upset about that? But in my mind, I was like, everyone's going to be angry at me, believing they're going to be annoyed at me for you know, disrupting the show. And then of course, once you tell like you know, your agent and your boss and you know, you sort of have people figuring out contracts and things like that, it's really it's very real. And then the moment starts where you're like, oh, I hope this doesn't leak, like I hope that I'm able to announce it, because you know, if it leaks, then it's like, oh, she's leaving, but why? And there's no sort of detail. So I was just so nervous. I didn't tell anyone. I think I told Carl and Sarah like a couple of days before, and they were both just like, oh, you're going to get off the early mornings. But then they were both really sad that I was leaving and that that was pretty pretty lovely too. I mean, it's so nice to have something that you love so much that you miss it when you and that that's how I felt about them as I was going. And then the morning of so we've got like rundowns so that you can sort of go through the show. It's sort of like a list, you know, like a contents list, and in each each heading there's a script and there was one heading that said surprise news something like that, and so it all started. Everyone was like a bus like, oh, what's going on? Like who's leaving? Is what's the announcement? And I was getting text messages from people like what's the Today Show announcing? And says and I just sitting there next to each other, both being like they're going to think one of us is pregnant. They were building it up and we're both like young women, like you know, and then the moment that it happened. I felt so relieved that it was, that it was out and that you know, I can sort of speak about it openly, but also just kind of like sick that like there's a finality to that. You know, you can't really go back after that. And so like once I said it out loud and said it on TV, that's it, I'm going.
Speaker 1: It's really real then, isn't it. It's even more real than the contracts in some ways because it's been said and it talked about the joy when when you manager Michelle and your boss Burlow and you told them, and also obviously sadness from Carl and Sarah, but also happiness for you. But then the reaction people of Brooke that you don't know, the people that were waking up every morning and watching you and following the story on social media and heard it. It was a real moment. And I was thinking about it when you were talking earlier about about a decade ago, thinking I could never be that person that goes and studies at Oxford and writes a book. You, I think became that person for a lot of people in that moment because you took a risk you were there in a job that we think or you've got that job, you never let go of that something like that. Obviously in your industry, it's one of the biggest jobs in the country, but whoever is watching or listening, you know, to get to that point in their career and then take this risk, go and do something that a lot of us think about but don't do. Were you aware of that reaction and how how do you feel about that? And what would you say to people that come up and say, oh my gosh, it really inspired me, or I don't think I could ever find the courage to do what you did.
Speaker 2: It's so weird to think of it as courage or or is anything other than just kind of doing what you have to do. And I mean, it is truly the best job. And there have been moments where I've been like, what the heck am I doing? Why would I leave this place? Like it's a great job. I love the team, Like it's wonderful in so many ways. You know, you get to go in every morning and be with the hair and makeup girls and like, you know, they're just so wonderful. They make you feel so good, and you know, so many of them have become really close friends. But I think for me, I think it depends on why you do it, right. I always wanted to do things so that I could show like young women from the country, or young Aboriginal girls, or you know, any I guess anyone really like you. You know, if you want to do something that it's kind of it's not beyond you, if you work really hard and if there are lots of people who help you, and if you're lucky basically, and so once i'd sort of done that and I was like, Okay, there's other things that I really want to do. If I don't do them now, then I kind of never will. And so I kind of got to a point where it felt like the only option, if that makes sense, like to stay would have been sort of wouldn't have been like, oh, I'm so lucky to be here, but it would have been robbing myself of another alternative, If that makes sense.
Speaker 1: It makes so much sense. I think a lot of decisions can be like that, if you're grappling with them, well, what if I didn't do this and then and sometimes you know straight away yeah.
Speaker 2: So I think in a way, it wasn't like, oh, yes, I'm so brave for doing this. Although I can see like why people would think that because it's so lovely being on the Today Show, but it was like, oh no, this is literally the only option. Like if I'm able to, then then I must, like I have to What.
Speaker 1: Are the things that you miss the most from your previous life? If that's not too dramatic a way to put it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think that's out. Your life is so easy when you're on the Today Show because you work so hard and the stakes are so high, and so there's lots of things like you know, the hair and makeup ladies and they're always sort of gassing you up and making you feel good, and you know, Alex and Beck and Ari from Wardrobe like helping you choose what to wear every day. Like when I came over here, it felt so kind of weird to step away from that because I was like, oh, I don't have any support. You know, you have support because it's such a big job and it's a big life when you're on the show. But here I was like, you know, part of stepping into that anonymity and that you know, woman of mystery. Thing that I wanted to do was I meant that I'm you know, it was on my own. I have to organize everything myself. I don't have producers and I don't have any anyone to sort of help me get dressed for stuff or you know, figure my life out. And there have been moments where I'm like, oh, this is actually it's there's a lot. Yes, not to feel sorry for myself at all, but yeah, like it made me feel grateful for the times that I that I did have that support. I think going straight from the Olympics into Oxford was was jarring because it was like the Olympics was like the Today Show on steroids, because we were all together for what four or five weeks, like all sort of staying at the same hotel, going in through hair and makeup every day, working crazy hours, just you know, all working our butts off and sore. It was like, you know, being with work people all the time who are like, you know, there are our friends anyway. But to go from that and having all of the support and the whole network around you, you sort of feel so tightly held and you're there with purpose to getting to London and being on my own and sort of for the first time kind of stopping and exhaling. It was like the two things couldn't have been more different. I couldn't have been more on my own when I got to London. But it didn't feel bad. I still, in that moment, felt like I've done the right thing here.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask, have there ever been any moments where you think, oh, gosh, what did I do? I've made a really dumb decision here? Any regrets.
Speaker 2: I know everyone talks about the weather in London in the UK generally, but it is like a bit boring. But I think that you don't kind of get how much of an impact it has on your life until you get here. You have to live through it. But the winter is there have been moments during the winter where I've been like, why did I choose to come here again? I could be you know, watching cricket and eating ham sandwiches and going down to Red Leaf for a swim. Instead, I'm like, you know, putting on my gum boots and trying to get to class in the snow, trying not to slip over and like, you know, break my neck on the way on the way into school. And I think it's not so much they're cold, even that is bad, but it's it's how dark it is. I think Australians take for granted how much sunshine we have all the time, even in winter. Like the other days on the on FaceTime to my sister and she's like, do you want me to walk outside and I'll show you some sunshine, and like you know, she walked out and it was just like so bright and so beautiful. And then I showed her outside my window and I think it had been great, Like I hadn't seen the sky for a ten days, and that sort of that's a bizarre feeling. Like in those moments, I'm like, oh no, I've really messed this up, Like what am I doing? What an idiot?
Speaker 1: And up next, Brook opens up about the toll being the first Indigenous person on commercial breakfast TV in Australia took on her mental health. Brook I wanted just to talk a little bit about apart from the fact that your anonymity was short lived among your classmates outside in the wider culture, because you talk before about you know, going down to redlif going to the beach in Australia, and often that might be a pap is following you and you're writing the book about, you know, the darker side of fame and the unrelenting side of it, and from you know, really serious instances of being stalked and followed and the intrusion. I'm assuming that your woman of Missy identity is hopefully preserved for the most part when you venture off campus. Can I ask you a little bit about that? What are your observations about celebrity culture in Australia now you've got a bit of distance from it.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize how much that kind of thing had an impact on me until I was away from it. I'm definitely not like one of the most famous, you know, women, or someone who even gets harassed that much by photographers or anything. But you always sort of have that in the back of your mind, so you don't feel like you could ever sort of leave or be in like public spaces or whatever without that thing sort of going, like someone could be taking a photo of you right now, or like you could be getting papped. Like it's just sort of like a it's not in the front of your mind, but it's sort of just like omnipresent, you're just always aware that you're in public on display. And also like when you do have those awful stalking incidents, sometimes they are unresolved. You know, the person, whoever it is, is still out there, you know, like they still have maybe they still have a desire to be in contact with you. Maybe they're even more enthusiastic or in you know, crazy than what they were before. You just don't know. And so, you know, that sort of thing I think is always it's always in the back of your mind, and here, because I'm so far removed from it, I think there's a layer of stress or preparedness that's just not there. So I feel so much more relaxed. And I didn't realize how much of a toll or how much of a weight that was until I was away from it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, because it's a bit like the weather. You wouldn't realize the impact it's having on you until it's no longer a factor.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. So I'm coming home very soon, and I think it's going to be interesting to experience what it's like in reverse. If that feeling will just automatically come back, or now that you know, because I'm not on TV anymore, maybe it will be a bit less. I don't know, like I won't be able to feel it as much. I don't know. I'll wait and see.
Speaker 1: That's right. Well, you will be coming home and look us putting you on the cover of Stella probably won't help there, so you know, probably will have the perhaps waiting at the airport. So apologies for that part, Brook, I.
Speaker 2: Look good when I get off the plane that we.
Speaker 1: All call in the hair and makeup people from the Today Show, you know, one last hurrah, Brook. I'd like to touch upon a few different chapters and topics that you tackle in all of it. One of them I'd like to talk about is the lies we're told about fertility and such a great topic, such a powerful way that you tackle this issue. What are the lies that we're told about fertility?
Speaker 2: I think you know, from even when we're young, we all sort of have this idea and maybe the generations blow us are a bit different, but that motherhood or parenthood is a right or you know that it will just happen. I think we're finding out as we get into our you know, thirties and forties, that it really doesn't for a lot of people. I did a couple of rounds of egg freezing, and they do this thing where they like they you know, it's got your age on one side, and then you know the number of eggs on the other, and then they've got like a line and it tells you like how likely you are to have a live birth based on how many eggs they retrieve. And it's really daunting because you're like, what, like, there's a chance that this won't work, Like I'll pay all this money and put my body through all of this and then it might not even yield any positive results for me. This isn't like this is a rip off. There's no justice in this. And then the more that I learned that, I was like, wait, it's the same for me. Like men, their fertility drops off, like sperm quality goes down, the sperm count goes down. There's all of these environmental factors now that are around us that mean that you know, no one is as fertile as what we sort of used to be. So I was like, we shouldn't be waiting so long if we want to have babies. This is crazy. Why do we delay it for so long? And then finally we're like, oh no, no, we're desperate to do it. We're going to pay tens of thousands of dollars and we must do this in the next two years. It's so it's so weird as a woman. I don't know whether you felt like this, but you know, you spend your whole life trying not to get pregnant. You know, from your whole twenties, you're like, you know, please, you be so happy when you get a period, but then it gets to a certain point you're like, oh no, oh, no, I'm going to run out of time, and it's like overnight, it just sort of switches. It's so bizarre. So I think I you know, and I wrote about it at the time when I did my egg freezing, But every time I have a conversation with a woman who's in her thirty something like, please, for the love of God, even if you have to borrow money from your parents or something like or I don't know, figure it out, freeze your eggs because it means you know, you're going to be able to work, you know, for longer if you feel like it. But also you're not going to have pressure when you're dating to feel like you have to settle down with the person that you're with, or even like the timing of things, like you have just a little bit more control, or at least you feel like you've got control over it. But there's this really interesting fact. I don't know whether it's the same now, it's what it was when I froze mine, but apparently most women don't even go back for them because they either don't decide they don't want to have children or they feel pregnant naturally. It's just like an insurance thing.
Speaker 1: That's right. It's the peace of mind, isn't it. I love everything that you've said, And as you say, there's that sort of invisible line that seems to happen overnight. I also love brookout you touched upon it there and you write about it in the book that it is also about not rushing into something with potentially the wrong person because of that deadline. And I love where you say, really we should be asking ourselves. Is this person the person that I see myself raising a child with if that's what you're wanting, but also if it doesn't work out, Is this somebody that I see myself co parenting with? I mean, I love that, and that's again I mean, I'm obviously older than you, but that's not a conversation that would have happened a couple of generations ago.
Speaker 2: I think it's very pragmatic and not very romantic, but it is quite realistic because you know all of the stats to say this, and you know how many people people get divorced now at a really high rate, And I think there's some stat around like you know, half babies born now will be raised by single parents or co parents, And so even if if you're I don't know, I just feel like it's wise to consider how people would behave in that situation. Like if you can tell someone's not going to be pleasant in that dynamic, then maybe that's a sign that you, I don't know, shouldn't be together or at least shouldn't be having children together. Yeah, but I feel like it goes against my natural inclination to be like a bit more of a romantic and a bit more hopeful, but it is I think it's wise to consider that stuff.
Speaker 1: Brooke, you also write really candidly and resonated with me and I'm sure also with a lot of other women about body image and how beauty standards have shifted over time, your relationship with your own body has shifted over time, and then of course the impact of that national stage and being on stage on Breakfast TV every morning. What's your relationship like with your body now? And why I was body image something that you I know I've spoken about it before, but you wanted to address quite early on in the book.
Speaker 2: I think because it is so complicated and it's so nuanced, and it felt like a book or a long essay was a nice place to sort of unpack some of the things around it. I think, you know, for a long time, I was like a you know, one of those women who was like, Oh, if only I could be just like a little bit thinner, then I would be like my life would be perfect. And you know, as I sort of grew into my body a bit more and I guess sort of became a bit more comfortable with myself kind of all around, I was like, oh no, actually, like this is fine, like you and more than that, like I think one of my nieces were born and i'd been through like the freezing process. It really shifted the way that I thought about the way that I look and the way that I feel about how I look because one of my nieces looks so similar to me, and I think she's so beautiful She's the most precious little thing, and the thought of her ever feeling bad about herself actually makes me feel sick, Like even thinking of it makes me want to cry, that she would feel anything but love for herself. And then I was like, well, why shouldn't I should extend that grace to myself? And like, how could I be or like, have any sort of negative or anything other than lovely to say about myself, Like, you know, my mom and my nan and my aunties would think that about me, so I should. I don't know, I should feel that way about myself as well. And that's not to say that I had like particularly low self esteem, Like I think it was just sort of the normal self criticism that anyone has, like, oh, you know, I feel a bit chubby, so I'm not gonna wear a bikini to the beach, or you know, I feel like i've got cellults, I'm not gonna wear short shorts or something, which is like, in hindsight, it's ridiculous when I see photos of myself from when I was like eighteen or nineteen now, I'm like, I should have been walking around in a bikini all the time, wearing one to work, even like that, you know, I wish that I and everyone says this right like that you could go back and be like, gosh, God, damn it, woman, like, don't feel like that. I think that. The thing about the egg freezing as well, was that for the first time my body was something other than how it looked it was. It was really useful and and I felt just so wonderful sort of sitting in it and thinking about like, you know, nourishing it and what it needed to be able to like grow my you know, genetic contribution to any baby that would come from the eggs. And it was sort of feeling those those hormones and what they were doing and seeing your body change because it change is quite rapidly when you're doing egg freezing because they have to sort of grow and make space in you Tommy. So just to sort of see those changes happen and feel them happen, you're like, oh, no, this is miracle, this is wonderful. But at the same time, in seeing like, oh, I'm mostly pretty comfortable with my body. If I could just change a couple of things, or like I feel pretty good or whatever. Seeing other friends sort of struggle with their weight or their idea of themselves that was completely foreign to me. And I know that sounds really privileged to say, because so many people do stuffer from meeting disorders and aren't happy with themselves. But it's so bizarre to me that someone could feel like a stranger in their own body or not feel comfortable in their own Like you live in it, you know, you can't escape from it, and so then if you feel such awful things about it, then you have to be in that all the time. And I just have so much sympathy for them, And I mean, I'm not even going to say anything useful. I just wish it was different. I wish there was something that I could say to be like, no, but it looks so beautiful, like you are so beautiful.
Speaker 1: It's you know, I think, And I think sometimes even just acknowledging that someone is living in that battle and that perspective, as you have expressed there, that you're in the body and you hate your body and you're at war with your body, Like what is that to live?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: I think just to even acknowledge that is important, because that's sometimes all any of us can do when we really don't understand someone else's lived experience. Brook. You reference some research in the book which I really wanted to talk to you about about our body image, and you say, interestingly, despite the saturation of mainstream media white people and white bodies, research from the UK based Mental Health Foundation shows that black people have a healthier relationship with their bodies than the rest of the population. Was that surprising research to you? That's really fascinating research. I certainly found that as a white woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought it was interesting too, because my thought was, oh, you know, as is the case with most like mental health issues or other sort of health concerns, I thought that there would be it would be a big issue for women of color and men of color. But then when I found that study, and I don't have it in front of me, so I can't reference the exact figures, but I'll just give you the gist of it. I think because of the proliferation of images of people like Kim Kardashian or others, where you know, being curvy is popular again. You know, it's sort of something to aspire to. You. People are getting bibls and things like that, and breasting plants that their idea of themselves because they sort of fit outside of what the sort of norm is. So so like Kate Moss or or Nicole Ritchie or whatever, those sorts of things didn't apply to them, like those sorts of rules or those sorts of like strict guidelines of what's acceptable and what's not didn't apply. And so that that was my read of it. It was interesting because sometimes I like, I feel like, even though I'm quite thin, like I still have like curves, And sometimes if I see someone who has like an excellent body that's like quite muscular and like thin or whatever, and I think, like, oh, you know, I've got a big bump, Like I've always had a big bum, So I don't have to feel jealous or I don't have to compare myself to that because we're so different. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: It really does make sense. And the reason I wanted to ask you about it was because, as you said, you often see research and you regretfully think, well, unfortunately women of color are going to over index in an area of disadvantage because that so many times, of course, he is what the reality is and what the facts bear that out, And anytime there is something like that, I think it's always great to illuminate it, and I love that you've included in the book, and I think, yeah, that's I think a really fascinating insight into why that might be.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you, I wonder if there are verse is true, like do you see someone like Kim Kardashian or like a woman of color, see someone like Scissa Even and think, oh, she looks amazing, But I don't have to compare myself to her because I'm different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's such a good question. You know what I I think I might. I can honestly say to this second, I've never consciously thought that about body image, but I have thought it about other aspects. So I'll give you an example is aging. And there's so much pressure on women when it comes to aging. And I will often look at I'm a white woman and another white woman and there's a bit of an you know, they might make me think, oh, gosh, like, why don't I look like that? Whereas I think, because I find off on women of color, it's almost it's just beyond my capacity to compare, because it's just not something I could ever emulate. I think. So, yes, now that you say that, you're right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny. Isn't it. I think the aging thing is interesting because we like I guess it's a skin thing or I don't know, like it's a genetic thing. I mean, there's obviously that saying.
Speaker 1: But like.
Speaker 2: It's when I look at like my mum's skin or whatever, or my nan skin and they've got like this incredible skin with like hardly any wrinkles, I think, Oh my gosh, I hope that I inherit that, like, please, please, please please, not just intergenerational trauma. Please can I have it?
Speaker 1: That's that's right. You got to inherit like the whole the whole thing. Brook. I wanted to ask about a really powerful question that you pose in the book on the conversation around you say, does it make you a bit of a sicko to be able to endure racism? Because you can see that there is broader benefit to it, both individually and for the community, and obviously in the context of where you're writing about that in the book. This is something I've actually discussed on this podcast before with well a former Breakfast TV compatriot of yours, Tony Armstrong, who writes a lovely testimonial for the book and regular listeners of this show would know. I was asking about the balance between knowing the power of being a really positive role model just by being there, in the power of representation, but also the fact that it brings we've seen for you, Brooke, that it also brings a scrutiny, a level of vitriol. I mean, a level of let's face it, just really awful racism leveled at you. I love the way you've expressed it in this notion that am I a bit of a sec to be able to put myself through this, but knowing that I'm also helping if I am here and I'm representing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's weird because at first I thought, you know, this is this isn't like noble and it's really important, and you know, I want to be able to share our stories and it's important for me to be able to express a perspective that isn't especially sort of when I first came through not just the Today Show, but on Triple J. You know, it was expressing perspectives that people really hadn't been exposed to before, even when I was in Canberra actually in the press gallery. I think it was the first time that someone had been on the on the campaign trail. So a lot of the time when I was going into these places, it was like, oh, this is important. This feels like something I need to do, not just for myself, but for those who sort of come after me, and you know, for everyone else, for the benefit of Australia as well, Like it's important for us to be able to have those conversations. But over time, and I think like with the rise of social media, it became sort of harder and harder to do in a way that felt like I was striking a balance that felt genuine you know, where I was genuinely having an impact in any kind of conversation, and you know, you sort of measured that against how much backlash you got on things. So remember the first week that I was on the Today Show was when I talked about how we celebrate the twenty sixth of January, and you know how I kind of didn't really want to do it. And I learned really quickly that there are so many people who want to deliberately misinterpret things that you say because they don't like you well, you know, they don't want to understand you. And more than that that there are so many people who don't fully engage and sort of just get the top line like, oh you don't like Australiada, that must mean that you think this. So then you get really like quickly categorized and it takes you know a lot to sort of develop a fuller picture for people to develop a fuller picture of you. And so after a while, I was like, I don't know that the balance is there for me anymore. You know, if it's kind of stacks up like this, if this is the reason that I'm doing this, you know, to share our perspective, but then this other part hurts so much, like this is this is not healthy, Like I don't know that this is worth it for me anymore. And I don't know, like, you know, I love TV and I especially love live TV, so maybe it would be something that I kind of come back to. But I think there has to be some sort of what you're doing is worth it for the amount of things that are coming back in, Like it has to be some sort of energy trade off or something to get a bit woo woo. And for me it kind of felt a bit of kilter. But I think it would be the same for women, right, Like if you're the only woman in a boardroom, or if you're the only woman in like a senior management position and you think, oh gosh, like I'm having an awful time because of you know, these reasons. But it's important for other young women to see me here and for me to be able to represent them and to make decisions that reflect their best interests. At a certain point, you'd be like, I don't know if this is helping them as much as it's hurting.
Speaker 1: Me completely, I mean, broke. It makes me sad to hear that the that it did take a toll where the balance skewed a certain way. And I wanted to ask because again, you cite some really interesting research in the book where you talk about the fact that in terms of media, your former industry, my car and industry, that we are actually getting pretty good representation, particularly among First Nations people in broadcasting, in terms of cadets and coming into the industry. But I'll quote you here. We'll see that there's no problem finding talent, the problem is in retaining it. Your story would appear to be exhibit A. Can I ask you a little bit about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, of course, Like I haven't read the report from the ABC. I just sort of got the gist of it from some friends and saw, you know, what the headlines were and what the media reportage was around it. And I think, if I can remember rightly, the part that I'm referencing in that particular part is that every year they have Indigenous cadets, and it took so long for any of them to sort of make it to any significant sort of on air role. And I don't think that that's an issue with the talent. I think it's I think it's an issue with the opportunities that are being given and the support that's given. And you know, having worked there and having seen the report and what people said, I think that there were only maybe a couple of people who hadn't experienced some sort of racism while they were working there. And look, I don't want to lay the boot into the ABC because it is. It's a wonderful place for a lot of reasons, but you know, there are some challenges like their own in any workplace. I think I'm so glad that there are more of us now than there ever have been before. If I've played any small role in that in any way, then I feel incredibly proud.
Speaker 1: Of that.
Speaker 2: You know, even the Beurlow put me on the Today Show when that had never been done before, that felt like it felt like something that would never ever happen, you know, like an aboriginal person on the Today Show. That's wild. And then you know, then Channelton did it, and then ABC did it, and all of a sudden, it was like a normal thing for them to be a person of color on a show in that time slot, whereas before it has sort of been like that, you know, a bizarre thing to do. Like I remember when they first first named me and there was always press around it and everyone was like wow, like this is such a big deal. And when I explain it to people in an international context, like if I explain that to someone of here, like what, there have only been white people? That's so weird.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Do you realize when you remove yourself from the situation, you're like, yeah, I mean, I guess that is a bit weird when you put it like that, And yeah, I think what I really want to express is that the talent is there, and you know, we're really good at recruiting them, we're really good at finding them, but we need to just like be able to hold onto them. And I think that part of that challenge is, you know, mitigating some of the worst of it, like you know, what we were talking about before, which is challenging in a contemporary context, because how do you know, how do you police social media? How do you police trolls? It's like a question that none of us really have the answer to. But there are things that make it easier. And I think the things that make it easier are things that we sort of did well on the Today Show and I was really well supported, and I had the support of my colleagues and the unwavering support of my boss, and those things do make it easier. I think we've kind of all got a lot of work to do in how we work in that space, and I think a lot of those programs are being rolled back in different parts of the world, which might make it more challenging. I don't know. We've certainly had a lot more work ahead of us in the coming years and decades.
Speaker 1: I think it is so wonderful to think, you know, how many people would have woken up every day and seen themselves reflected back in some way. That everyone should have the right to take that For granted, wherever you have come from, whatever wherever you live, whatever your family, whatever industry, your parents, it's working, whatever your experience. So we would think in Australia in the twenty first century that everyone could see themselves reflected back to them in their mainstream media. And the power of that is so unbelievable, because Brook, I can only imagine what it would have potentially meant to you to be a young girl and see yourself reflected back to you in mainstream media a lot more than was happening at the time.
Speaker 2: I remember, you know, when I was younger, that there never even used to be Aboriginal people like in TV ads or in magazines. There was no representation whatsoever. And I know that it seems kind of try it or trivial or whatever to say like it's important for us to see ourselves reflected back. But if we like flip that the inverse is that if you don't see yourself reflected back, or if there is only a certain group of people reflected in our mainstream media, or you know, the way that we see ourselves, that means that there are large sways that are invisible, or that you know that we don't think exist, and for Indigenous people, you know, given the challenges that we've faced in the first couple of hundred years, I think to not exist or to not be represented in that way it cuts deeply. But it cuts in a different way because it's it's a bit of a rasure or it's a bit of denying that you you know, you have a right to be here or that your place is in this country. And so it means more than just being like, oh, yeah, for this magazine spread or for this TV show, we need to have a balance of brunettes, people with dark skin, people with light skin, because I know that some of it kind of feels like that now, and it feels like that to me even I'm like, oh yep, tick tick tick, We've got all of you know, the things going on here. But that's the reason that it's important, because if we don't have it, it says to young people, and it says to all of us, like, this is who we are, this is what we look like. The ones that aren't here, they're not represented, they're not actually a part of us, and they're they're not only not included in conversations, but they are they don't even.
Speaker 1: Exist exactly so well said before I let you go, I would love to ask you what you think the future might bring for you professionally. As you said, you're not ruling out maybe going back to the media, But when you finish up at Oxford University, what do you think we might see Brooke Bony do next.
Speaker 2: I really don't know. And I say this like hand on Hart. I don't have some sort of like secret plan and I'm going to come back and pop up on another show because people always do that. I swear, I don't have any plans. There's no sort of secret thing. I loved writing this book so much. I loved it, so I would love to do another one. I don't have any plans, but I mean I love to study. The studying is really amazing. I mean, I know I've got exams next week, and when I have to do my economics exam, I probably won't think this, but the academia is so wonderful. To be able to use your brain in a way that you know you never have before, to stretch yourself like that is it's such a privilege. So I don't I really don't know. If you hear of anything good, let me know.
Speaker 1: Well, well, you are coming home to do a book tour for all of it, so you know, you never know. I mean, you might get a phone call one morning going, okay, Brooke, Sarah Arbo has woken up with the flu. Can you just come in Carl's hoping you can come sit alongside him, so you know you never know, do you?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not? Absolutely not. I'll be like Berla, you are dreaming if you think I'm going to wake up at quarter past three while in one my holidays. Absolutely not.
Speaker 1: Brook's going to have a phone on mute and she's not even going to hear that call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Brooke.
Speaker 1: Congratulations on the book. It is really fantastic Brooks memoir, all of it. It's available via the link in our show notes, and of course you can find it at your local bookstore. Some people still go to bookstores and we love them for that.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you so nice to chat to you, Sarah.
Speaker 1: You can find a link in our show notes if you'd like to watch this interview with Brooke on YouTube. Thank you for joining me today. If you've enjoyed this episode, let us know and leave a review and make sure you're following something to talk about because We'll be back with another exclusive guest next week.