Speaker 1: Apologie production. I need your advice. Are you okay? What happened? Promise it won't be too much? Bring it in.
Speaker 2: Welcome to our Bestie segment. Girl, my girl, this is the place for you.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Bestie episode. If you're a new here, welcome. This is this time of the week where we talk about one of your sticky situations you're in, where you want real life besty advice, as if we would give each other. So what have we got today?
Speaker 2: All right, let's get into it. The name of this episode is years of grief, a complacent partner, and a fading spark. Can we get it back?
Speaker 1: Girls?
Speaker 2: I need some bestie advice. You always say it's never too much and to bring it in here, So here goes. I've been with my husband for twelve years and I just feel my husband has become complacent. Our marriage seems to be quite meh in my eyes, and I just want more for myself and us both. I don't have a date night. I almost find myself coaching him into I as to what we should do. I feel like I'm not in my feminine energy like you both always talk about, because everything is always left up to me It's to the point that I had a chat with him and I was met with, well, you don't plan the dates either. And I have told him so many times that I want him to take the reins of our relationship and show me that he really cares and wants this marriage to work. I tell him weekly that we need to date each other like it's our first time meeting each other, like we promised in our vows. I don't feel that I'm a priority. I find myself doing most things around the house, while he is so happy to just sit on his computer and do nothing on the weekends. So I try to plan things, but as soon as we come back home, he would rather sit on the computer, and it drives me fucking mental. We never used to be like this, and I genuinely do love him, But at what point do I stop making an effort when I hardly get the bare minimum back.
Speaker 1: I'm a huge fan of you girls.
Speaker 2: I'm a regular weekly listener to your podcast. I know you always talk about having a chat, open vulnerable communication and making that central time in your relationship to peel back the layers to feel open vulnerable, But it almost feels that we are just existing and definitely not thriving. We have a surface level combo after work, how is your day? Who did you work with today? But I feel like all I get is closed answers back. It does make me upset, and he knows it. But I suppose what else can I say or do to get him to listen. We have been through a lot in the last four years, about marriage, losing my mom to cancer, his mom is being an alcoholic, grief, closing my business due to having an operation that being told from my surgeon, I won't be able to return to my physical job again after six years of study. My husband had a motorbike accident last year and two injuries the year before that. I just feel like our lives have quite literally spiraled. I know a huge part of our breakdown comes down to money. We have struggled for a really long time, myself over a year needing work off unpaid, and my husband's accidents and injuries needing months and months off work.
Speaker 1: It's been so rough.
Speaker 2: I feel like we almost don't know how to be happy because we are waiting for something else to go wrong, because it's just one thing after another, and everyone in our life keep saying it's time for the higher power to give us a break, and it's been hard. Our sex life is more so the real reason why I thought, why not get vulnerable to you both. We used to have a really great sex life. I would find myself in the middle of the night waking up wanting him, feeling spontaneous, touching each other in the kitchen while cooking, etc. However, I've always struggled with him coming way too fast and leaving me disappointed. He will kiss me get up out of bed once he has done, and it drives me wild because I could only imagine if I did this to him, he would not be impressed, and so why would you after you doing that to your wife. It almost makes me feel a little silly as I get up and put my clothes on. However, I tell myself, why do I feel silly? I'm not going to beg him. I feel it should be something that he should want to do for me. We've tried things like being slower and that just turns him on more as it does for me, and I try not to touch him as much in the lead up and four play.
Speaker 1: I would really like.
Speaker 2: Your advice as to what else we could try or what I could say to him to see my side. I have said things like you drive me wild when you leave me hanging like that, or today, could we go slower because dot dot dot. More so, I have said, how would you like it for me to give you a hand job and at the end just pull away? He replied with sorry, love, I won't do that again, but he does. I've tried to say a few things now, but any advice would be appreciated.
Speaker 1: Ah out goodness. Well, first of you, guys have been through a lot. It's been like h hit after hit. My question for you is is he willing? We always come back to the willingness. I think if you're with someone and they are not willing to do their part, willing to take responsibility, willing to try new things, willing to get help, willing to put effort in for me, it's game over. Yeah. I know that sounds so brutal, but honest to God, if Steve was not willing to do his.
Speaker 2: Part, I'll be out of there, I agree.
Speaker 1: Otherwise you are literally going to continue the same patterns and cycles, and you're going to be just as unhappy, if not more unhappy, in six months to a year time. Five years time, and in my head, the older I've gotten in, the more grief I've gone through and lost people and gone through something like, life is too fucking short to not be happy. I agree, you've communicated and you've tried everything, and you were not satisfied in love, in sex, in variety, fun, connection, growth, all those things. A few value those and they're not willing. What else can you do? This is two people in a relationship. You can't do this on your own. So you are going to grow right apart from him, and the relationship's already done in my head, whether you stay together or not. The relationship sounds done, but I don't know how willing he has, Like what have you requested of him? Have you booked in some couples counseling? Have you said, Okay, this week, I'm doing date night. Next week you're doing date night? And take turns like, is there ways have you actually tried some things to bring it back in or is it expectations that haven't been voiced enough. The sex thing, it sounds like you're really trying, and that sucks. I'm assuming he's not finishing her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ye, honestly, the sex thing, Like I know you guys have been married for a long time, but that would just make me feel so terrible, like that was not No, It's definitely not it. And I can understand how it makes you feel silly because I would feel like not to put words in your mouth, but in my own experience, and I can say this because I've been through it, is feeling used, is feeling used, like oh, like this is about him, not about me, Whereas sex and intimacy is about togetherness, and it's about connection and deepening that connection and creating safety and a really intimate part of your relationship. I can't speak on the long term relationship thing because I haven't done it for longer than four years, So take this with a grain of salt. But again it comes back to the willingness. See is a relationship is a tanger It's a dance between two people. And if only one person is driving a relationship forward, is guaranteed to fail because you're going to be resentful and you're going to be angry at that person for not trying and you putting in all the effort and then not getting anything in return. And I think women get to this place where when they feel like they've tried everything, they just switch off, and once they switch off, you cannot get them back. And I experienced this in my last relationship, where I was in the position that you're in now and a very different and I'm not saying it's anything the same, but I was the one who was trying and putting in all the effort and felt like I was the one moving the needle forward because I wanted us to grow as a team, whereas he just was showing me that he didn't have the capacity and.
Speaker 1: Also didn't want to.
Speaker 2: He didn't want to because it's a capacity thing sometimes, but it's also a want. I really do believe if they wanted to, they would. And I understand the whole concept and the conversation around being lenient with somebody's trauma, but it's a different thing to be lenient with somebody's trauma when they are willing yes, because they're saying, this is what's coming up for me. I'm really struggling here, but I'm here with you, and I want to make this work, so let's figure it out together, versus like making excuses for someone's behavior as to why they're not showing up and pouring into the relationship in the way that you actually deserve to be met.
Speaker 1: And I hear you on the using thing, was that could be true for me? When I hear that a man's not wanting to do that, I just think lazy and selfish. I don't even think using. I'm just likeing lazy. That's probably my previous words. So sure, And it could be either, it could be both, it could be something else, but I just hear like lazy and selfish, like you're in your own head, Like imagine exactly what she said. If she gave him a blowjover a hand job and didn't actually finish him, he would just sit there and be like, oh yeah, put my clothes back on, and he's going to be hard as robbing, Like what the fuck you're leaving me like this?
Speaker 2: And then can it even be a conversation of him giving you full play and like playing with you first before you even touch him, and then going into sex straight after that certain at least you're being taken care of and then he can finish later, Oh he doesn't want to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's my question. That's what concerns me too, because is you lazy and selfish? And also the desire thing like does he not have a desire to do that with you anymore? And this is where things change. Like I always say, like, we're not made to fall in love with one person, and sometimes the chapter's over and I'm not saying that is for you, but these are questions I would be asking myself. Are we not aligned anymore in our values? And I know you did your vows, but things can change.
Speaker 2: People change.
Speaker 1: People change. It's what they desire, what they want, the level of effort, the level of willingness, and that is all things to look at and conversations to be had. And I think when you're in a long term relationship, and I can speak on this because I've been with Steve for eighteen years now literally next week, eighteen years in our anniversary, it's changed so fucking much. What I needed and wanted and desired and crave from Steve when I was nineteen when I met him to now thirty seven, world's apart. And it's a continuous conversation of checking in. And that's in day to day things, that's in sex life, that's in work, that's in how we look at growth together even like human needs. For example, Steve used to always like variety was his number one thing, and like the uncertainty, the excitement of life. He's the opposite now it is all about certainty. He is not a big risk taker anymore. Hetability, stability, family, home like. He's a different man to he was five years ago. Not one's bad or good or right or wrong. It's just different and you have to adapt and check in and consistently make sure that you guys are still on a path together. And even if you weren't, it doesn't mean they're a bad person. No, you're just wanting different things, and that's okay.
Speaker 2: What highlights in all of this to me, even with the sex stuff, for me, that shows a lack consideration, and that's a bigger thing than just the physical ideas. That to me shows character. And if I'm looking at my life partner, do I value a partner who is considerate of my feelings, my experience and also how I feel in this relationship dynamic Because consideration, to me is a huge value in relationships. And if it's not there, like you feel it in these moments. And so I wonder what the question is for you of you've changed, You've gone through a lot of grief, What you want now is different? So can you get clear on what it is that you actually want and expect out of a relationship now and what you need to move forward? And checking in with yourself, like, is this relationship emulating what it is that I want and value at this stage of my life? Yes, at this version of myself? And then is that the conversation asking him what his expectations are for the relationship, what he wants and needs, what you want and need? Bring them together and go do we still aligne after all these years?
Speaker 1: And it's a hard decision to make and it's a hard conversation to have. It's also really hard to keep doing what you're doing. Yeah, going to get worse if you don't have these conversations and maybe make a big decision. Horrible spot to be. And I really feel for you what you're going through. But the willingness is my big question. We don't have that context. It's hard for us to say. But if he's not willing and wanting to change and work with you, what do you do with that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You either stay and settle and accept that's just who years and how things are going to be. And are you okay, feeling unhappy like this and unsatisfied or do you go actually like when not aligned anymore? And I can love you, but not in this dynamic.
Speaker 2: And also as well, the longer that you accept it, the more that you teach yourself that that's all you deserve, and when you're added to get out, yeah, for sure. And also when it comes to like kids and being a role model, you're also teaching them that that's the standard that they will have to accept in their relationships too. And I think that I imagine as a parent would be a really hard pill to swallow, even more of a really positive driver to be the best version of yourself for you and also for them.
Speaker 1: Definitely, that's a tough one. Sending you so much love, and I just want you to know you're deserving of getting all the love or your needs or your desires met and having someone who is a willing teammate, a willing player in this game of life that you're playing with them.
Speaker 2: And something else as well, I want you to give yourself permission to want for more, like you're not wrong for wanting more out of your dynamic. And something else that just popped into my head is I want to know if you are actually doing anything for yourself right now. Like, yes, the relationship might not be where you want it to be, and you're really leaning on that because it's your safe place. But what can you instill in your life that's going to bring you a little bit more fulfilment? Is it a little bit more time with the girls? Is it creating new friendships? Is it going to the yoga class on the Saturday morning, is it going for a thirty minute walk on a Monday morning before work? Like, what are some things that you can start doing without anything changing in your external world or relationships that you can do for yourself that's going to help bring you back up instead of relying on somebody else to be your source of happiness. There's got to be some change within you as well, because I think that's going to make you a really resourceful person. And then maybe the way that you show up in your relationship or the way you attack this problem might actually you might find some more opportunities that are kind of hiding in plain sight of what to do next.
Speaker 1: For sure, And it might also just give you the stabilizers and the strength to decide this isn't for you. And that you're going to be okay in your own when you're in their energy of filling your own cup up and being in alignment and doing things that make you happy. I feel like you attract more people that are on that same vibration as you. Yeah, including maybe your future partner. A lot of questions to ask yourself and a lot of conversations to have with him, a lot to reflect on.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, send us a follow up and on a submission. We would love to hear from you, and yeah, let us know how you go, if you have the conversation, what you talk about, or if you need a little bit of support in how to have the conversation. Pop that in the BESTIAS submission as well. Definitely, and I can help you with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't think ever leave like a relationship until you are one hundred percent you can reflect and go. I have tried everything in my power to make this work, because I think if you were to leave and you haven't tried everything, you'd be like, oh, maybe I should have booked counseling, and maybe I should have worted that differently, and maybe I should have had more compassion here, or maybe I could have done this. You know you've tried everything, and you've been so willing, so considerate, so adaptable, and they haven't met you. There, you know you can put your hands with some guy. I really really try what it. I love you, but I love me just as much, and this isn't for me anymore.
Speaker 2: Love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'sending you so much.
Speaker 2: Love.
Speaker 1: Bye. I see you guys Monday. Bye