Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctyesmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. This is healthy Heir with Amelia Phillips and welcome to one of my mini motivation episodes. These are shorter, targeted episodes where we tack one specific question or challenge head on. Today we are deep diving into our digestive system and answering the question how do I improve my gut microbiome? Now, a healthy functioning gut microbiome is linked to all sorts of improved outcomes such as a stronger immune system, better weight management. Yes, it helps with weight management, improved mood, nutrient absorption, lower inflammation. Oh my goodness. The list goes on. But what are the best strategies and is it as simple as popping a probiotic or is there a better, newer way. I pose this question recently to gastroentrologists doctor Paul Frooms. Doctor Paul is BORED certified treats patients with gut issues in both the public and private practice, and he's known as the Microbiome Doctor. He also trains other doctors and practitioners in IBS management through his Microbiome Tree program, which is called Best Gut Medical. So here is what doctor Paul had to say about mastering our microbiome. Doctor Paul, If we really want to optimize and support our microbiome to flourish, and we want to minimize the pathogens and opportunists, and we want to help the good bugs of our microbiome proliferate, what are the most important diet changes that we should be making or what should we be focusing on when it comes to our diet.
Speaker 2: Basically, what I do is more than DIETA I would say, if you really want to do something in legitimate and that really changes your microbiome, So you want to get rid of pathogens and you want to rebuild, you sort of do a variation of whed and seed. If you're not going to do a full medical one, then you might getch you something natural so to weed out or bad back, get rid of bad bacteria. Naturally, you want to add some plants that are effective and helping your gun immune system control bad bacteria. So that's eating a lot of garlic, onion and adding something like berberine, oregano oil. Those sort of things are actually pretty good.
Speaker 1: Is it kind of anti microbial? Is that what mean?
Speaker 2: Like anti microbials? Rid of opportunity organisms?
Speaker 1: Okay, so what's interesting about so like berberine, for example, which some people like to take for weight management as well, it's actually not something that you would want to take as a supplement permanently, is it? Because it could also potentially alter your good guys or you someone that's very happy to permanently supplement with berberine.
Speaker 2: I'm coming around to the you know what, I think berberine might have a as an ongoing suffer. Okay, it belodoendron, which is obviously antimicrobial, but reasons for that you've shown berberine actually acts as a prebiotic for the promotion of good bacteria. So it's kind of a really good one for maintenance because it's doing a little bit of suppressing of bad buds, but it's also stimulating the pollutination of probiotics. Plus it's helping you activate SGLP one a little bit as well, so it's actually seeing not a bad little supplement.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, berberine, you heard it here, guys. And then those other food based ones, so do you want to just rattle those off again? So these are the kind of antimicrobials that are going to keep those pathogens opportunists a.
Speaker 2: So garlics are very good one, or a garna oil is a very good one. And then there are things like you can intermittently take things like wormwood time extract time oil. Those sort of plants have pretty good antimicrobial effects. But the second step is you've always got to be repopulating your guts. So eating eating prebiotic foods and taking a probiotic is going to help establish and maintain your probotic level.
Speaker 1: Your top favorite pre biotic foods that this gastroentrologist will be eating, you'll see it in the fridge and pantry every week. What are your go to prebiotics?
Speaker 2: Well, I love the bit of glue cans in steel cutoats.
Speaker 1: I love steel cutoats. I think I should buy shares in steel cutoats because the amount of people I have got to switch across. The best tastes so much better than rolled or instant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're really good. Then you've got to have some sort of resistant starch. So whether that's a green banana or whether it's sweet potato. There's lots of different sources of resistant starsh.
Speaker 1: Cooled like just cooled potato. Like you know, you had some roast potatoes last night, make a little potato salad the next day, cooled potatoes. I can't do green bananas. Where else can we get resistance starch?
Speaker 2: The cool potatoes are very good resistance stark. Any starchy food, if you try cook it, then you're going to turn it from something that releases sugar quickly, which is bad to something that's slow release, and then you want to add in things that so lots of green leafy greens are a really good thing to add to your diet because they've discovered another sugar that is a prebiotic sugar in leafy greens that was probably only discovered about six years ago. We're still just coming to terms what is in these foods in terms of prebiotics. And then polyphenale rich foods are really really good too, So they were all the really colorful things like pomegranad, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries. They provide a fuel for acamancia, which stops leaky that.
Speaker 1: So, yes, I heard pomegranite is a particular favorite of acromac. Now do you want to just touch on achromance here for a second, because certainly in the weight loss world where I spent a lot of time, it's getting quite a lot of bars and unfortunately, the only supplement I can find, and maybe you can point me in a better direction pendulum. They do an acremensia, but it's really expensive, it's pretty exy, So I just would rather feed my natural acromencia. So how should I feed it? To help with weight management and metabolic flexibility.
Speaker 2: Incomania is probably one of the most exciting new probotic discoveries of the last decade. This thing leaves. They found it deep in the mucous layer of the gut, so and it's then become like a recognized as a keystone species for metabolic health, gut barrier health. It basically maintains and stimulates your gut mucus barrier and prevents leaky gut, which massively reduces inflammation, produces a short it's one of the producers of short chain fatty acids like propionate, and it's got a several protein as you know that stimulates GLP one. So it reduces leaky gut, reduces systemic inflammation, reduces insulin resistance, improves weight gain, and improves insulin sensevity.
Speaker 1: And it's found in an abundance in lean people usually and then in very low levels in at lease people. Is that kind of one of the key findings?
Speaker 2: Absolutely right? Yeah, Okay, So a technotic feature of type two diabetes, obesity and flum to bow disease is that they are missing a commancia. Now there's one probiotic on the market which you mentioned that you can buy, but as you said, it's expensive. So the best way is to rebuild our commands here is one do something and fasting because it loves it when you're fast.
Speaker 1: Is that right? I didn't know that? Okay, So like a prolonged overnight fast, you know, twelve fourteen maybe sixteen hours for some people easy finished dinner at eight pm. Have breakfasted between eight am twelve hours or ten ams fourteen twelve am sixteen hours. Okay.
Speaker 2: It thrives when the gut's not you know, for those periods when the gut's not processing food, then you want to feed it the most powerful bursts of a commands that we mentioned of the polyphenol rich foods, right, which is pomegranate, is the king cranberze, blue.
Speaker 1: Berries, plums? Is it? Basically the purples? Is it that?
Speaker 2: The dark personal purple purples, reds, even dark chocolate? They're like eighty five.
Speaker 1: You have just made us all fans of you today have a.
Speaker 2: Cup of green tea fee squares of dark chocolate and some cranberr and some blueberries. Bang, polyphenol explosion and acamance.
Speaker 1: Here it will just proliferate amazing. Well, I want to dive into the common probiotics, but I just want to circle back because I feel like, did you finish you were going through some kind of steps of you know, helping our gut microbiome. Had you finished going through all the steps before we go into the probiotics. I wasn't sure if I had cut you off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we got through seed. We go through natural waste to weed. We got through a natural waste to seed, and were just at the end mentioned Look, there's no harm in taking a good broad spectrum probiotic and some probiotic foods that would sort of complete that.
Speaker 1: Why don't you list off some of the probiotic foods that air in your cupboard and fridge that you recommend. We all have.
Speaker 2: Probodic foods is very different to probiotic foods. So probodic foods means there's living, live cultures in them.
Speaker 1: So the prebiotic food is like the fertilizer, yes, for our living creatures. So we've just been talking about all the foods that our bugs love, but now you're actually talking about buying more bugs in the probiotics exactly right.
Speaker 2: So there's not many because we don't ferment foods like preserved foods like we used to when we're all farmers and we'd have to get through a long winter. So what's readily available out there are live culture, probotic yogurts. But do you want to get one that doesn't have any added sugar, coloring or.
Speaker 1: Flavoring unsweetened Greek yogurt?
Speaker 2: Yes? Please?
Speaker 1: And do you have killer brands that you're just like, I only get this brand or do you not mind?
Speaker 2: Now? I don't mind as long as it is the real genuine article.
Speaker 1: How do you know?
Speaker 2: You look at the ingredient list and the.
Speaker 1: First ingredients should be the probiotics.
Speaker 2: It's literally got to be just fermented milk and nothing else. And a lot of.
Speaker 1: Cultures okay, perfect, all right? Unsweetened Greek yogurt, Picky brand? What else?
Speaker 2: The only other promotic foods out there are things that are fermented that you and I can either make or buy. So that includes sour crap and variations of that like kim chi. And then there are some fermented soy products you can buy. There are some fermented drinks that are very popular.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kom butcher, Can I just buy the can Kim Butcher that's sitting next to the v drink and the mother drink.
Speaker 2: KM Butcher's better than drink a soft drink because the sugar content's a lot less, but there is still some residual sugar in it because that's how you're ferment it. So it's a healthier alternative. But there are some junkie butcher's which are colored and flavored and I also have excess sugar. And then there are the ones you get from you know, the health food stills, that are really they taste completely different. They are like you really like drinking a proper fermented drink. And then that one step up from yogurt is kefir, which is the fermented milk drink.
Speaker 1: Which I love as well. Quick question. The problem with kafir is it goes off really quickly. You do and I don't. This is I'm putting you on the spot here and don't worry if you don't know the answer. But I started pouring it into ice cubes and freezing some of it, so I kind of buy it, buy a big because it's pouring. So imagine you know, a milk carton, for example, and if it's you're the only one in the family that likes it. You won't get through the whole lot before it goes off. So I started, and I love it in smoothie. So I started pouring it into ice cubes and getting rid of half of the packet and freezing using the fresh stuff and then moving on. But then I thought, oh, I'm probably killing all the probiotics by freezing it. Do you think I would be?
Speaker 2: No, probably not. They seem to survive freezing most of them, which.
Speaker 1: Is today, well hot tip guys do that. And then when you make your smoothie and you drop a couple of cubes, three cubes of kafir in there, it makes it creamy rich, it's got a tang. It makes it feel so like you're having literally like a thick shake. It's so yummy.
Speaker 2: And we know this because we've studied frozen fickle transplants, and particularly in COVID. We had to freeze them and you then reconstitute them and you look at them and that studies look at the micro content and actually the life bacteria seem to survive very very well.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, look it's saving me. I still can't get my husband to drink it. So it's going to go off if I don't. If I don't do something with it, all right, And so in my fridge, for example, I've always got a jar of kimchi. I love the purply one and then sour crawt. And so now whenever I have my eggs in the morning, no matter what I do, I just put a big dollop. Or I grabbed my fork, I put a big dollop. And actually, if I I don't have it, I feel like I'm missing out Now. It took me a while. I used to hate for minute food, like the vinegar, anything that vers vinegary. So if I can do it, I think other people can too. Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with doctor Esmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. Let's talk about probiotic supplements without rattling off and just confusing our members. We've got like the Lacdo bacillis, the common ones that we see all over the place, Lacdo Bacillus, and there's a few different strains of them. You've got the Biffodo Bacterium, you've got bacillis. Are these still the big ones we want to get or are there others out there that you're like, no, no, no, that's last year's news. I've got some new ones for you, hot off the press.
Speaker 2: We do have some new ones, but still the foundation species that we lack and that we need to replace still fall within the species lacto Basillus, Biffodo Bacterium, and Basillis. We've added to that with Acamancia. We've added to that with something called why sella.
Speaker 1: Can you say that again?
Speaker 2: Why seller?
Speaker 1: Why sellar? Okay, I haven't heard of that one.
Speaker 2: That's incredibly important for the oral microbiome to prevent ginger of artist dental careys, period on titus, heltosis or thrush, it reflex, all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, So basically, do you have any tips when we're looking for supplements? Is it you know you're just basically wanting to have a combination of those out there.
Speaker 2: There's really two answers to that. There is just a general probiotic for those people who have gotten on so no specific symptoms, but do realize that their microbiome is always under threat and it's just a good idea, and that will just be a blend of biffodo different biffodo strains and lacto basilla strains. And you really need to be taking probiotics that have at least thirty billion C if you per capsule, well, you you're just not getting enough.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at some supplements on my notes now and it's got lacdo bacillis. Am I allowed to talk brands?
Speaker 2: I think you can?
Speaker 1: I can? Okay, all right, So I've got I've got the ones that you know, I sort of use and recommend. So, for example, Metagenics has one called Ultraflora intensive Care, and it's got twenty two point five billion c few but Lacdo Bacillis has ten billion, the Biffodo bacterium has five billion, and then Sacrimias has seven point five billion. You know, And so when you're saying, like, is it total that you're.
Speaker 2: Saying, I'm looking total.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thirty billion, you said.
Speaker 2: We're talking about a general probiotic here, So yeah, thirty billion upwards is a really good amount. So I intensive care that particular combination will exceeds that.
Speaker 1: And I'm just looking. That was per capsule, and I'm sure the instructions would be probably two capsules anywhere. That was twenty two point five. You know how we spoke about Lacdo Bacillus, Biffodo bacterium, and Bacillus. Interestingly, I was trying to find a supplement that contained all three, and they generally don't.
Speaker 2: No, they tend to separate the spore formers out why this is a spore forming probiotic, right, they separate them at because they're exceptionally stable spore forming probiotics so they can survive stomach acid really reliably. They don't need such a thick capsule coating because they'll survive stomach acid. So they tend to market those individually or as a collection of different strains of basillis, whereas the Lacto Bisilus and Biffodo bacterial species need to be better encapsulated to survive the stomach acid, so they separate them at.
Speaker 1: If you were really focused on seeding in the best way, you really wanted to go through a period of looking after those healthy bugs, you might take two supplements. So for example, I'm looking here on my list. You know that Ultra Flora Intensive Care has the Lacto Bacillus and the Biffido, But then there's another brand called Probispore that has the bacillus, So I may choose to supplement with both those for example.
Speaker 2: So that's just broadening your base by doing that, and it's a very good idea.
Speaker 1: Are you just supplement all the time, person, or you should cycle in and out of supplementing with probiotics.
Speaker 2: I'm a daily supplementer.
Speaker 1: Okay, you have so reignited my passion for probiotics and gut microbiome because it was really in favor a few years ago. There were some really fascinating documentaries that came out, and it kind of has gone a bit quiet. So it's great to be reignited.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you should always be focused on this. What is coming is the volume of research is it's all still being done, and they're still getting more and more exciting as newer species get generically sequenced and then we work out just what they do and we further better understand the relationship we have with them.
Speaker 1: It's so so interesting.
Speaker 2: It's a good space. It's an evolving space, so it's fun to work.
Speaker 1: I imagine if anyone's out there thinking of doing a PhD, which I am at some point, getting into microbiome, would there be quite a lot of opportunities in that research space. Absolutely, yeah, yeah, I've heard that it would be Yeah, a very I guess it's something that you're interested in. There's a lot of opportunities there to wrap up, doctor Paul. If we are as inspired as I am speaking to you, after everything we've spoken about today, if a woman is going to leave today and go all right, I'm just going to do one or two of those things that are the biggest leavers. That's really going to help support my healthy microbiome. What would you recommend she goes and does?
Speaker 2: I'm just saying right, and to get rid of ultra processed foods. So eat whole foods. Try and eat thirty different plants a week, including fruits, fishables, and eat a bit of fermented food.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's simple, doable. Removing the processed food that's the hard. I feel like that's a whole other conversation, very very hard. But even starting with one meal a day, what can I pull out of this or snacks because snacks are a big one. I just feel like if the shelf life is two years or longer, then surely it's got stuff in it that can't be good for us.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely true.
Speaker 1: Dr Paul, thank you so much for your time today.
Speaker 2: You're more than welcome.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, well, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Dottyesmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three sixty dot Health or check out the show notes for more