Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with doct Esmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. This is Healthy Heer with Amelia Phillips and welcome to one of my mini motivation episodes. These are shorter, targeted episodes where we tackle there's one specific question or challenge head on. Well today we are putting our business hats on. We are answering the question, should I stay working for someone else or should I.
Speaker 2: Build my own business. It's a good question, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Everywhere I look at the moment, it seems like influencers are promoting their side hustle that they set up, that they did during their babies' naps while the kids were at school, and now miraculously it's just.
Speaker 2: Bringing them in millions and.
Speaker 1: Their hashtag blessed, or the hobby that they love, their passion, their hobby that miraculously started making them loads of money. Or my friend, I am here to tell you that it does not work like that. I have started and sold five businesses in my life and there is nothing easy or part time about them. Unless I'm totally missing a trick here. Maybe someone tell me what is that secret? But in my experience, your own business requires a ridiculous amount of focus, energy, of risk, financial risk, often at the cost of your own sanity. It is not something to just take on lightly. But at the same time, they can be equally rewarding. They can set you and your family up for life, and if you do get it right, they can help you leave the values led legacy that you have dreamed of your whole life. So I'm certainly not discouraging you from doing it, because life is too short to waste working in a job that doesn't fulfill you. But it is a nuanced conversation and there is no right or wrong answer. And so to help give us some very educated experience and sound advice before we quit that comfy six figure salary job and earn nothing, I enlisted the help of Melissa Brown from mel Brown Money. So Mel is an ex financial advisor now financial educator and one of the most trusted voices when it comes to money, especially for women navigating the complexities of midlife. Mel is the founder of mel Brown Money, and she's on a mission to simplify finance and help women feel confident, informed, and in control of their financial future. She's got over two decades of experience in financial services. She's worked across accountancy, financial advice, strategy, and education, and she's also the author of five books, including the recently published Dare to Be Wealthy And that's really a book empowering women to grow their own wealth in a way that aligns.
Speaker 2: With their life and values.
Speaker 1: So here is Mel's take on whether we should go out on our own and start our own business. Mel I'd love to know your story for why you essentially stepped away from a secure salary and started your online business and programs smel Brown Money, Like, was it a slow transition or was it more of that stop this thing and then start my own business.
Speaker 3: My business was actually before that, So it was an accounting and financial planning firm that I started when I was twenty eight, And I absolutely did not move from a salary into that. I contracted while I built it because I simply couldn't afford just to stop the salary and start, so I contracted to another accounting firm and worked for them. I think I started three days a week and then just gradually dropped the hours.
Speaker 2: As you're my business built, Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Then I when I sold that, I used some of the funds of that to be able to build meil Brown Money.
Speaker 1: Right. Okay, so when you were doing this online business, you kind of started with a little bit of a nest egg that your all money that you'd pulled together as your business. Because I feel like it's a really tempting thing for a lot of women, and particularly as I'm speaking more and more to women in their fifties and beyond, and the state of the employment market is a lot trickier. And some of these women are also thinking I might not have a job with you know AI and all the changes. Yes, how do you coach people who are thinking of stepping away from a decent enough salary to earning zero but then with.
Speaker 2: The potential upside that you know this could become a yeah, you know, five million dollar business.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm such a fan of multiple income streams. So if it was someone in their fifties, well, first of all, I'm going to be very concerned if that didn't go well. As you said, it's hard to transition back into full time work. Yeah, but regardless if you're younger even it's I like to have a safety net as I built, So if I was coaching someone, I would say, how can we have more than one stream of income? Could your workplace drop you to four days a week as you started to build this, Could you build it of a night and a weekend, or could you contract like I did when you did it? Or for some people, they might choose never to stop their full time work and to have this as a really profitable side hustle. That means all of the money that you make from that can go towards super investing or whatever, and I live to what's left. But there sometimes comes a point where that business means that you kind of need to drop the salary down, and you can choose at that point which one you give the most energy to.
Speaker 1: It's interesting you use the word energy, because this is what I grapple with in you know, I've got my own business online programs as well, and I just know the amount of emotional, physical, mental, cognitive energy it takes. And it's quiet work that's not demanding. You know, if you've got another job and you've got emails coming in and you've got people waiting to get back to you, waiting for you to get.
Speaker 2: Back to them, it draws you in.
Speaker 1: But when you're building a business, often no one's knocking on the door saying build that funnel, write that, you know, copy for that landing page. It's just this quiet what I call the important but not urgent work.
Speaker 3: But what you might also do, depending is you might use some of your earnings from your work to pay contractors to help you with the business. Yeah, so there might be ways that you can stay in the employment and use those funds to help you build that so you're not having to do everything, because often if you start a business from scratch, you are doing everything. You're wearing all the hats. But it might be that you employee people or you might just really lean on heavily onto AI so that you're not having to even employ contractors. For me as well, it would be not getting it all perfect. I'm a fan of let's just test it and see get it up rough and ready. My team don't always love this.
Speaker 2: MVP set it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's the minimum whereas they see for too many women. Oh no, no, no, it needs to be perfect.
Speaker 2: Minimum viable product it.
Speaker 3: If you're going to be in business, you've got to get better with being dirtier.
Speaker 1: So for you, when you said you had you know, you sold your business, so you had this little bit of a lump some was there a period where you were just watching that lump some that piggybank get drained before the profits started to come in or were you pretty lucky, like did you go through a period where you're going, Okay, we're going backwards here. No?
Speaker 2: So, I oh I hate you, I know so sorry.
Speaker 3: So I started my business when covid hits, so we were very much stuck at home not able to spend. So it's probably very fortunate that that happened. Otherwise I probably would have gone backwards a bit faster. And I also was very careful how I use my expenses, So I did everything like I did the opposite to what I said, because I had the time. Yeah, so for me, if you had less time and more money outsource, if I have more time, less money, you do it all yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good balance.
Speaker 3: But I also had my two I say, who's worked with me for sixteen years, Lauren Lawsy. I identified early on her strengths are very different to mine. So I said to her. She was working full time, and I said, I'd love to eventually bring you over. Can I have a day? So she gave me a day a week very early on, and then I uped it to two days, and she dropped her work down her work last she was able to do that and every then she eventually did three days for me and we built it up like that. But I think as well, if people have identified that they want to work with you, they might be willing to do that as well.
Speaker 2: To take a little bit of risk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So for a listener who is toying with the idea of starting their own business, what are the key elements you recommend they have in place if they are going to take a risk like that.
Speaker 3: So you want to have some sort of buffer. So I would want to have at least three months worth of expenses cash in the bank, so that if it took a while to start, then I know I've got it there. Because too many people are being too credit cards or what have you to fund life while the business grows. I would absolutely want to know the numbers before I start, So I would want to know or in my business, I know, these are how many people need to come into my program in order to pay for this. So it might be I need thirty customers, but then I'd need to know the numbers behind that, so I would need to understand, well, that needs means I need X amount of hits on the website, or I need to go and have X amount of coffees or etc. To build that. So you really need to know your numbers. That's really the big piece for me. Yeah, Okay, and then having a plan around what are my competitors, what are they doing if this doesn't work, I would want to start the business with what's my plan B and say so. For me, my initial course took a while because it's quite an expensive one to build. So I loved and was really good at business. So I created a business core that I eventually shut down a couple of years later that ran alongside it because it was easy because I had time to build the two things, and then when the one that I wanted to prioritize on was doing well, then I had the choice to shut the business one down.
Speaker 2: Oh got it.
Speaker 3: So you might create something that you know you're good at, that you know people would buy, that you don't want to ultimately do, but it can help sustain the business.
Speaker 2: Step in stone or a hedge in your bets a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So to create the plan with what are my multiple income streams going to be from the get go?
Speaker 2: That makes perfect sense.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not in imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctasmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. What I'm hearing is that even though you said in our other interview that you're a risk taker, you're a calculated risk taker. You wouldn't just take a life some of money that you've somehow take a lump sum of money that you've come into and then just you know, on a whim go.
Speaker 2: And no roll the dice. You would want to have multiple income streams. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: For me, I see business as a series of experiments. I want to get rid of things that when I've run the experiments aren't working, and then when things are working, I want to pour more money into that, but to run it like a series of experiments. And I think for me, I am an implementer. I think a lot of people talk about doing things, but I'll actually do it. This is where I'm really glad that I'm a Western Sydney chick because I don't have that ego of what will people think. I have it a little bit, but really not to the same extent that I see others. So I genuinely don't mind having a go and seeing what will come of it.
Speaker 1: What about the emotional side, because I know for a lot of us ladies in business, we're very heart led, and so to us it's not just a pro We poured our heart and soul into this and it's a reflection of our identity and all of that.
Speaker 2: Have you been a little bit able to separate that and go.
Speaker 1: You know what, Okay, I'm just poured my heart and soul into this other one and that obviously wasn't enough.
Speaker 3: Oh look, I have days where I say to my team, oh my god, it's just like that's it. I'm shutting the doors and running away. Like I think every business owner goes through that, And I think every business owner that's passionate about what they do feels that way, and I think women particularly start a business with purpose. I just don't want the profit to get lost in with that purpose. So I had a team member say to me last year, I feel like all we do is talk about marketing and we've lost the purpose. And I said to her, I get that you feel that because of where we are, that these are all the things I've said no to in order to keep that purpose alive. And she just went, oh, okay, yep. I just need to be reminded of that. And I think that's where women it's understanding that we can and should have the alignment of purpose and profit. And for me, I'm not a charity, so I want to earn an income, but at the same time, I really want to do good. And my question with everything we produce is can it make money and can it do good? And if I can't answer those two questions unless it is for something specific where I want to give back, then we're not going to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love the clarity of that. And it's interesting that question that your team member asked about. Oh, it's so much about the marketing and what about the true course?
Speaker 2: I see that in health a.
Speaker 1: Lot, where I get these unbelievable practitioners and incredibly smart, articulate driven health practitioners that are so good at their craft, but they don't realize that actually a huge part of what they need to be focusing on is getting bums on seats and getting people in the door.
Speaker 2: And a lot of them are just like, I don't want to do that stuff.
Speaker 1: I just want to be in the room helping people. And I think when people go out on their own, they get a rude shock when they realize how much of it is out there, brand building and marketing, and you've got to kind of learn to make your peace with it.
Speaker 2: Or fall in love with it even you know.
Speaker 1: I think if it's connection is a value of mine, the way I've reconciled with it is I'm connecting with people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's probably the part that I struggle the hardest. So I love the marketing strategy, I do not love that my face is the business. I am super introverted. There are days like today with my team where I was like, oh, why why am I the one that has to do the videos? Yes, So I totally hear those health practitioners that say that, but I think you're exactly right. There comes a point where for me it's if the mission is big enough that you'll do it, you'll do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like anything, it's a muscle enough it gets please slowly get and I'm not pushing you. Certainly don't always have to have a personality or a brand led business, but if you have got a lot to say, and you have got a strong purpose and expertise, then you'd kind of be nuts not to.
Speaker 3: And I think at the moment, with the rise of AI that we actually need more brand le, personal personality led businesses than ever and I think those are the ones that are going to rise to the top because we're going to know, oh, I know, healthy hair is Amelia Phillips, No a million exactly. She's who I want to hear from. I don't know this other person. And I think more and more people are going to want that. So we might feel uncomfortable with it, but I think brand led businesses are going to be the ones that are most successful. Oh thanks for that hot tip.
Speaker 1: Well look, well, finally, for a woman listening who is seriously thinking about starting her own business, what would one parting piece of advice be I.
Speaker 3: Think it's the accountant in me, but you've got to know your numbers. If you don't know your numbers, you will only ever build your business so far, so for me, every time I've taken my eye off them, my business has faltered or stumbled. So the numbers I mean include things like your leads, your conversion rate, your retention rate, your average cell price, the number of times your customers do business with you, your net profit. Like you should just know those numbers, and some of them you'll look at every single day. Some of them you'll look at it monthly or quarterly. But if you don't know and they can change, I'll have something that converts beautifully and then on Tuesday it'll just fall off a cliff for whatever reason.
Speaker 1: A Facebook weather event. I say, this weather event on Facebook this week.
Speaker 2: I love it. It was a storm.
Speaker 3: But if you don't know that, then you don't know to do something about it. So understanding your numbers, I think is key to having a great business.
Speaker 2: Such sound advice, Mel Brown, thank you so.
Speaker 3: Much, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine but you know that something is off, We're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with doctor Asmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three six Z dot Health or check out the show notes for more