Speaker 1: On scorn needs Ostrodia.
Speaker 2: This is the Wader Panalte Show.
Speaker 3: Good evening, Welcome to the reader Panahe show.
Speaker 4: I'm Caroline Druso coming up on the show tonight, and a property developer delivers a die warning for Australian renters. Dan Wild joins me to discuss that and the day's top headlines. Labor's intention to tax unrealized capital gains, well, that has caused quite a stir. I'll be joined by Jeff Wilson to explain what that means for superannuans and our economy. And of course everyone's favorite segment left is losing it, including this compassionate lefty with a message for South Africans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is for all you yit South africaners that are being shipped in by Trump. You need to know the majority of Americans don't want you here.
Speaker 4: But first joining me now to discuss the day's headlines is Deputy Executive Director for the Institute of Public Affairs Daniel Wild. Dan a fascinating development this week ASIK is so doing mcquarie for allegedly misreporting our short selling over a period of fourteen years. Now, what are the nature of the allegations and why is that happening now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, look there's a couple of things.
Speaker 6: It's I think Acid has been pursuing McQuary for some time now that they weren't correctly or they were under reporting their short selling. So this can have implications for the broader market. And what Acik is saying is it can impact the confidence of the market. You know what I think it's really interesting here is that it's an example of what happens, whether it's mcquarie or whether it's other big businesses and banks in Australia, when you take your eye off the ball. Many of these organizations spend all of their time moralizing to Australians about diversity, equity and inclusion or ESG mandates and quotas and climate change and refusing to lend to farmers because of climate change and other considerations. Well, you know, this is what happens when you take your eye off the ball and when you ignore your key business and key considerations in this casinancial institutions.
Speaker 1: And I think a lot of Australians look.
Speaker 6: At this and say, well, you know, just get back to basics, focus on your core business rather than engaging in woke moralizing that I suspect is a part of the reason why they've taken their eye off the ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does appear to be that.
Speaker 4: And look, that'll be very very interesting once those proceedings progress it and we start to see a bit more meat on those bones. Now, Tim Gerner, he's not backwards in in saying he's peace and he has been very controversial before, but this week he said that he foresees a fifteen year rental crisis ahead.
Speaker 3: So Dan, firstly, why is it that long? And what does he suggest is the cause?
Speaker 6: Well, I think there's a couple of things here, Caroline. I mean, the number one cause that we have in this country is this massive unplanned migration intake that's been taking place since COVID. It has not been planned for, it hasn't had the consent of the community, and it also hasn't been targeted towards areas.
Speaker 1: Of economic needs.
Speaker 6: So you know, we have a housing crisis because we've had this massive surge of demand coming from this massive migrant intake. Now I'm not blaming the migrants themselves, because of course you'd want to come to our great country and have a better future, but you know, it's the faults of governments for having this massive demand without the supply coming online. It's not just housing. All you have to do is look at the roads, the social services, how long it takes to get into a GP appointment, local schools. Often in many of these developments there's no local public school in place. So you know, these are massive issues. And yes, at the same time, we have a supply side issue when you look at the taxes, the red tape, all of the cost imposts upon developers when they actually do want to set up a new development. So look, the number one thing governments must do immediately is to cut our immigration intake to ease the pressure on the housing market.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: And if you are going to bring people in, please bring in tradees because we definitely need a few more of those, and it would also be helpful I suppose if a few less building companies went under.
Speaker 3: But you know, another one of.
Speaker 4: Those woes I suppose for business but also for the household is the cost of energy. And probably the least surprising piece of news this week is that New South Wales is the second most expensive state to run household appliances. And guess what dan the cost is going to continue to go up. So this is obviously going to be unsurprising to anyone with half a clue. But how can these governments continue to fail on energy policy when the reality is clear for all of us to see.
Speaker 6: Well, exactly, this has been a long time coming. You know, we've been warning about the consequences of net zero for a very long time and it's you know, this is net zero in action. It's how it impacts the day to day life of Australians, not just through energy bills, not just through the increased risk of blackouts, but through the things that we do every single day.
Speaker 1: And you know, fortunately this is going.
Speaker 6: To continue until we remove net zero and until we remove emissions as a centerpiece of our energy policy. I mean, energy policy should be focused on one thing, and that is cutting costs, reducing prices, to ease the burden on households, to ease the burden on businesses, and make sure we can actually have a manufacturing and heavy industry sector again. So look, unfortunately Australians are going to keep feeling the pain while these inner city activists push the net zero agenda upon us.
Speaker 4: And despite all of that, and still on this topic, you know, this sector, this energy sector has vacuumed up all manner of government grants and subsidies over the last few years. And for example, now questions are being asked about fmg's close Gladstone plant. Well, what's the story here and how those subsidies and grants impact the broader industry.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think there's a couple of things. I mean, green hydrogen has basically been shown to be a hoax and a bit of a fraud being perpetuated on the Australian people, and in particular on those who are at risk of losing their jobs in traditional industries. They were told, oh, you're going to get new jobs in green hydrogen. Well, I mean that's just not happening. So, and the other point is this is used green hydrogen has been used as a bit of a front to fleece tax payers of subsidies. And you've got these sort of subsidy hunters that go around and they set up these projects and get subsidies and then don't go ahead with the projects or the projects shut down.
Speaker 1: And I think it's a real issue.
Speaker 6: I think the subsidies should be paid back where a project does not go ahead, and we also need to get real about this fact that green hydrogen is not the future, at least not at the moment. I'm all in favor of exploring new technologies, but at the end of the day, we need base load power supply that actually exists right now, and what we have is coal and gas. That's how you keep the lights on and get prices down and keep regional communities ticking over.
Speaker 4: Now, want to end education and a fascinating piece in the age where Frank Cardi, and he's the chair of Victoria's Independent Office of School Dispute Resolution, has suggested that parents should face it a thousand dollar fine for defaming teachers or principles online. Now, Daniel, I'm sure there is a problem there of some sort, but is that.
Speaker 3: Really the solution?
Speaker 1: Well, sadly, maybe it is.
Speaker 6: I mean, I haven't come across this before, but you know, reading the article, it's something that's not common, but it does happen. And look, I think that a school has every right to protect its teachers and its principal. I mean, I was actually a candidate for the Liberal Party in the election recent federal election, and one of the things I did was meet with schools and school principles, and I was shocked to learn that one of the highest burnout rates and one of the highest levels of actually post traumatic stress is among principles. So I don't doubt that there's a real problem here. And it's not just this particular issue, but the range of other issues that principles and school staff have to deal with. So I mean, if you've got parents that are defaming or abusing teachers or principles or support staff, then I think there needs to be consequences. And it's just I think another example of what a mess, what an absolute mess our education system has become.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it appears to me that there's all these other underlying issues and I just feel like, you know, yes, this is something that needs to be dealt with, but there's probably also those deeper issues that need to be dealt I think this is symptomatic of something else. Essentially, now onto the UK and here is British Prime Minister Keir Starmer and a stunning about face on immigration policy.
Speaker 2: So when you have an immigration system that seems almost designed to permit abuse, then you're not championing growth, you're not championing justice or how else people defend the status quo. You're actually contributing to the forces that are slowly pulling our country apart. So yes, I believe in this. I believe we need to reduce immigration significantly.
Speaker 7: Dan.
Speaker 4: Is this a come to Jesus moment for Starma or has he simply been mugged by political reality.
Speaker 6: I really think this is a landmark speech. I think this will have far reaching consequences in the UK and around the Western world.
Speaker 1: This is the.
Speaker 6: Speech that we need to hear here in Australia, and our political leaders haven't been up to the job. I'm surprised to hear it from Keir Starmer. I didn't expect him to do this, but he has and I think this is incredibly important. Clearly he's under electoral pleasure from Nigel Farage. This speech would not have been given without Nigel Farage and his Reform Party having made significant m roads at the recent council elections, and he can quite clearly see the writing on the wall that a si significant majority of mainstream British society are fed up with the immigration program. It was also a list of substantive proposals that he's put forward. He has now also created a rod for his back. He's going to have to deliver and deliver very significant reductions to the immigration intake into the UK.
Speaker 1: But a lot of what.
Speaker 6: Keir Starmer said, sadly, particularly when he talked about an island of strangers, that applies to Australia as well. And I hope the government here is paying attention because we need action on this issue.
Speaker 3: I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 4: Dan back here in Australia and new data is showing that wages grew over the March quarter and they are above the inflation rate annually. Now Michelle Bullok at the Reserve Bank, she has still suggested caution.
Speaker 3: What is the basis of that caution?
Speaker 4: What's the issue that remains and is it or is it's not as simple I suppose as the economy just recovering.
Speaker 1: Well, I think there's a couple of issues.
Speaker 6: One is we don't have much productivity growth, and so if the supply of your economy isn't increasing and wages are going up and you're pumping more money into the economy, that can fuel inflation. So there's a concern there and basically the reason why we care about the supply side of the economy is it really reflects the capacity of your economy to generate wealth, and so if that's not growing, then the fundamentals of the economy are not improving. So it's obviously great news that real wages are going up, but what we need to see is that is for that to be sustainable. And I think that's partly why Jim Chalmers has pointed to productivity as being an aim of his Now, whether they follow through and I don't know, but they're on the right path if they are generally going to do something about it.
Speaker 4: Indeed, now we don't usually associate the Australian Financial Review with the Royal family, but it appears that ASX listed company len Lease, they're expected to announce a fifty to fifty joint venture with the Crown as state Dan.
Speaker 8: What's the deal?
Speaker 1: Well, I think this is really interesting. I mean.
Speaker 6: King Charles has always had an interest in urban development and architectural beauty. He's actually set up basically his own suburb that exists, if you like, called Mini County in the UK that's kind of designed around his views of a Villagy type arrangement. Now, I don't know whether this landlease deal is going to go to that or not, But I think it's in keeping with an interest that King Charles has shown over many years about wanting people to live in a certain sort of beautified and dignified environment that often we're lacking. A lot of new developments are done in a way that are functional and are needed, but don't always take into account the human consideration.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to be interested to see what comes out of it.
Speaker 4: I think it's going to be absolutely fascinating. Daniel Wilde, thank you so much for your time joining me Now. Is Wilson Asset Management founded? Jeff Wilson. Jeff, Welcome to the show. An alluming political issue is Labour's in ten to tax unrealized capital gains. Just to start with for our audience, can you please explain the nature or the principle of what Labor's intending to do here.
Speaker 9: Yeah, look, thanks Carolyn, thanks for your time. The labor government is bringing in what they plan on bringing it just needs to go through the Senate a policy whereby come superannuation funds that have more than three million dollars in will pay an additional tax of fifteen percent, So it's all up tax of about thirty percent over that three million dollar mark, which I think no people that have money and super are concerned about. Where the concern is. For some reason, the government is talking about taxing unrealized gains. So the theoretical change in the value of your investments that aren't turned into aren't realized and it's really bad tax policy. Also, what they're saying is that they're not going to index the three million dollar cap, which means that eventually everyone in Australia with inflation will be paying this tax. So that's the parts. All I need to do is index it and remove the tax on unrealized gains which sort of are paper profits or theorical profits which may end up turning into losses.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and obviously is a huge cash flow issue. But yesterday Treasurer Jim Chalmers he tried to applicate fears.
Speaker 3: Here's what he had to say.
Speaker 7: We've made it clear that these changes are relatively modest, but they're important in the context of the budget and define benefit schemes have been appropriately recognized as part of our effort.
Speaker 4: Whenever a politician says something he is modest, it eventually, in inevitably my ears prick up. What are the unintended consequences of this policy on the superannuation.
Speaker 9: Industry, They are significant. Jim Charmers and also Anthony Albernizi they say that the taxony impacts a very small percentage of the Australian population point five percent, and that is correct. The negative part or the illogical part, or the reason why there are those significant unintended consequences is because it will impact the behavior of the whole superannuation industry and that's really a major supporter of corporate Australia. So four point two trillion dollars, it's going to impact how that four point two trillion dollar, how it behaves. So why would you take risk? So there's one point one trillion dollars in self managed super funds. They have been big supporters of startups small companies in Australia and now if they're going to be taxed on a pretend profit that may never eventuate, why are you going to take the risk? So that there are significant untended constants we estimate that are close to one hundred and fifty billion dollars will come out of the superannuation sector and go onto the property sector because there's no tax on your own home, whether it's your home or your children's home or your grandchildren's home. I mean we're already seeing it. I think front page of the Financial Review today they're saying self managed super funds panic money coming out before June thirty. Well, actually you've got to a June thirty next year to get the money to me. It's the the Unfortunately, this tax, it will backfires. It's not a it's not a good tax and a good idea.
Speaker 3: And is that because the government.
Speaker 4: I mean, look in principle, I find the principal offensive in itself. But has the government just not not consulted broadly enough or understood the actual human behaviors that are essentially going to occur to be able to avoid paying tax on unrealized capital gains.
Speaker 9: Well that could be the case, or you know what's probably more concerning. I know from page to The Australian the other day Matthew Cranston wrote an article and it's said that Treasury has been trying to bring in the tax on unrealized games for the last fifteen years. So maybe this is a way of the thin edge of the wedge getting them in. I think what the government doesn't understand, or maybe it hasn't fully modeled, or it's a bigger conspiracy theory they want to put it on other assets family homes, etc. Is Globally this has failed. More recently, Norway brought in at a tax for the very high income earners, an unrealized gains tax, and fifty six billion dollars left Norway instead of the money. They're only expecting to raise about one hundred and fifty million dollars from this new tax, and instead they went negative close to five hundred million dollars. So what they don't realize is everyone changes their behavior. And it's clear already that people are going to start changing their behavior.
Speaker 4: And you mentioned investment in startup and you mentioned the potential for that extra liquided or that extra demand to go into the housing market.
Speaker 3: But what are the broader.
Speaker 4: Industry and investment consequences either have we seen elsewhere or would we suspect under a policy change like this.
Speaker 9: Well, I mean just another example in the UK in terms of the unintended consequences. In the UK, they increase the tax on capital gains by twenty one percent and instead of the tax take increasing by twenty percent, it actually fell by ten percent.
Speaker 10: So.
Speaker 9: But probably one of the biggest ones. It's really really everyone is now questioning superannuation. Is superannuation this pot of gold that every government tries to take money out of. People that are older they can take their money out of Super and there's no consequences. Younger people are locked in there, and I'm aware of a number of people that have said, hey, look, we're not going to We're going to try to put as little as we can into Super going forward. So it really that that pool of capital that's helped support growing small businesses in Australia that Paul Keating is very proud of. You know, I think, well, he's already well he hasn't come out publicly, but privately he's come out and said that he thinks it's just really bad, bad policy.
Speaker 4: Now, just one last thing before we go, Asik has launched prosecution proceedings against Macquarie and the allegations there relate to the reporting of short selling. Obviously it's subject to a legal process and they're just allegations at the moment, But what do you make of that particular.
Speaker 9: Move, Well, in terms of does it make mcquarie a less attractive investment. You will it have a negative impact on their earnings?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 9: You know, the answer is is probably no from an investment perspective. In terms of is it the fact that they've let this happen? Is that is that poor corporate behavior? The answer is yes. Now they obviously haven't communicated clearly with the with the regulator, and they're going to suffer the consequences. You know, there will be some financial pain. It will be a one on financial pain. Maybe this is a function of growing too quickly and not having the right systems in place. That that's what appears like to me. I mean, obviously this will this is a big wake up call for them to get their house one hundred percent in order.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd say it absolutely would be. Jeff Wilson, thank you so much for your time and your insight.
Speaker 3: Still to come. Left is losing it.
Speaker 4: Plus Trump delivers speech to the Saudi US Investment Forum. Batio Unga Sagon joins us to explain why she labeled it the most momentous foreign policy address of her time. Welcome back, and now it's time for lefties losing it. And first up, this bloke is pretty convinced that white people coming to the US from South Africa are all racist, all of them not grateful at all to have a new home in the Land of the Free.
Speaker 3: Just there to be big goal racists.
Speaker 10: I need y'all realize what Trump just did. He brought eight thousand white people out here from South Africa, not because they need refuse, not because they need asylum. It's because he knows these eight thousand white South Africans are racist. He knows they fore to come over here and they're gonna be blatantly racist thinking that they're still in South Africa. These eight thousand races don't burn out the hard way. They don't out. You can't tump that over on FOI.
Speaker 4: And of course it didn't take long for the Karens to jump on the bandwagon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is for all you white tea South Africaners that are being shipped in by Trump. You need to know the majority of Americans don't want you here. You just jump back on another plane and fly your little racist, white supremacist butts right on back to these to your country, go back to Africa.
Speaker 4: And it doesn't even And there even Bishop Sean Roe from the Episcopal Church seemed against helping white refugees from South Africa.
Speaker 12: We can't be ourselves in the Episcopal Church and take the step of resettling white africaners from South Africa. Our church has a long commitment to racial justice and reconciliation and we have a historic ties with the Anglican Church of South Africa. Desmond Tutu is a part of a partner and a partner in this work for us. We're just not able to take this staff. It's not in line with anything that we're about.
Speaker 4: So Jesus can hang out with the tax collectors and the sinners, but apparently he can't hang out with.
Speaker 3: The saffas well. That's a very interesting delineation there. And if there was any.
Speaker 4: Question that white people have had a target on their back, just look at this speech by South African politician from back in twenty eighteen. This rhetoric has clearly been around for some time. Fine, if you back to the US and onto lefty economics and the Oakland mayor thinks you get rid of inflation by raising the minimum wage.
Speaker 13: You call it for a fifty dollars an hour federal minimum wage. That's seven times the current national minimum wage of seven to twenty five an hour. Can you explain how that would be economically sustainable for small businesses.
Speaker 14: In the Bay Area. I believe it was the United Way came out with the report that very recently one hundred and twenty seven thousand dollars for a family of four is just barely enough to get by. Another survey very recently one hundred and four thousand for a family of one barely enough to get by low income because of the affordability crisis, and so just do the math.
Speaker 4: Frederick Hayek was bang on the money when he said he socialist understood economics, they wouldn't be socialists. But there is still more, and the barrage of progressives against RFK Junior continues, and it continues to escalate.
Speaker 3: Even the Capitol Police had to get involved.
Speaker 9: The budget I'm presenting today is of courts. These goals reflects.
Speaker 1: The witness will suspend your committee.
Speaker 8: Will become your order.
Speaker 15: Capital police are asked to remove the individuals will.
Speaker 4: The members of the audience, and among those arrested was Ben and Jerry's co founder Ben Cohen.
Speaker 3: Now we've seen some pretty revolting carry on from Ben and Jerry's but I can't.
Speaker 4: Decide if this later stunt is just an exercising consistency or quite frankly, the cherry on the top of that ice cream.
Speaker 3: Here he is again from another angle.
Speaker 7: The audience reminded disruptions will not be permitted while the committee conducts his business. Capitol police are asked to remove the individuals from the hearing room.
Speaker 4: And lastly, and of course, this segment would be nothing without progressives indulging their children who identify as another species.
Speaker 11: The best teacher my daughter has ever had. She lets her be as weird as she is, and she encourages it, and she enjoys it, and that is really meaningful to me and my family. She calls my daughter Ellie Cat because in adit and during attendance my daughter meals instead of saying here, And she doesn't make her feel bad about it. She just imprases it and she loves it. And that's really cool for me as a parent, and it's really cool for my daughter to feel seen in school.
Speaker 4: It's no longer just fashionable enough to identify as another gender. We need to keep upping the ante.
Speaker 3: On this escape from reality.
Speaker 4: I'm done joining me now is author and journalist Battia Unga Sagon Batia. I want to start with Trump's speech to the Saudi US Investment Forum.
Speaker 15: This way here it is, as president of the United States, my preference will always be for peace and partnership whenever those outcomes can be achieved. Always, it's always going to be that way.
Speaker 8: Only a fool would think other.
Speaker 4: And in a post on Eggs you said it was probably the most momentous foreign policy address of your lifetime.
Speaker 8: Was that.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me. Yes.
Speaker 16: As I wrote about in my Free Press column, what the President did throughout his hour long speech was effectively repudiate both the sort of neokon war mongering of Republican administration's past, but also the kind of appeasement and attempts to find common ground and insist that everybody has the same values of democratic administrations.
Speaker 8: Of the past.
Speaker 16: So he took on both, you know, the Bush model and the Obama Biden model and said, we're not going to do either of those things.
Speaker 1: We're going to.
Speaker 16: Respect the sovereignty of our allies, and we're going to respect the sovereignty of our own people, and we're going to prioritize the dignity of working class Americans by looking for partners who bring something to the table, who are able to fight their own fight and come together and put aside warring factionalism in order to pursue peace through strength and through partnership, through commerce, through the great economic boon that the President was able to generate through the Abraham Accords. So this is really a new moment in American foreign policy. They're putting aside the nation building and the failed forever wars that we've been having in this country for the last decades. Donald Trump is fundamentally anti war. He hates war. He thinks it's unbelievably wasteful. And what he's offering both to the American people and to the globe is partnership through strength, through deals, through success, and through bringing massive amounts of investment back home to the US. It's really a golden age in America. And he is inviting our allies to join us if they're willing to put down their guns and their swords and pursue peace over war.
Speaker 3: And you mentioned the Ibraham mccolds.
Speaker 4: Luke Hayes urged Syrian and Saudi latest to sign the Abraham Accords recognizing Israel.
Speaker 3: How big a deal is that.
Speaker 16: It's a really big deal, and the way that he phrased it in his speech was really beautiful. He said he personally would be very honored if the Saudis would join the Abraham Accorns and sign normalization with Israel on their own time. He was very clear to say that's not going to happen right now. Obviously the situation in Gaza is too volatile. But this was really a shot across the bow both for the Saudis and I think for the Israelis to be a little bit more open to a different approach to fighting their wars, which of course are just wars, but to think more broadly and more openly about what President Trump can achieve for them, given the success that he brought to the Middle East through the Abraham Accords.
Speaker 4: And in just the last twenty four hours it Baine reports of an IDF striking Unis aimed at well, who is now? I suppose the de facto later Mohammed Simoa.
Speaker 3: What's the lightest on that?
Speaker 16: Yes, we can only hope that these that these reports are accurate. Hamas's leadership is in absolute tatters. There is a vacuum there, there is nobody leading the terrorist organization. The way that they released the American captive Dane Alexander was through an intermediary, and so it's really an opportune moment for somebody like the Saudis or the Qataris to say, you know what, in recognition of what President Trump is offering us, We're going to step into that leadership hole and really pursue peace on behalf of the forgotten Palestinian people who have been living, of course as Hamas's hostages for over fifteen years.
Speaker 4: Now back home in the US, and since the presidential election, it's really been quite astonishing some of the admissions about Biden's cognitive decline, but the revisionism and the refraining of the narrative. Look, it's almost been impressive.
Speaker 3: And Jack Tapper is.
Speaker 4: Obviously the most notable just released a book what's been most notable about it?
Speaker 11: For you?
Speaker 16: I'm really really disgusted with this because they aren't doing this because they actually care about telling the truth. They're doing this because they are trying to launder their reputations so that they can once again seize power. They know that the American people were exposed to their lying and to their gaslighting. All of these people who had access to the president and knew what the situation was kept that to themselves for as long as they thought that he was still able to give them the power that they so desperately want. And the minute the American people became wise to this on their own because of the debate, they stabbed Biden in the back and the roost was up. But to me, this whole fake maya culpa is just as appalling as the initial gas lighting because it's not real. It's not about anything except their limitless desire for more and more power. And the worst part about it is that the Democrats don't even know what they want to do with that power. They have no agenda. If you ask them, okay, you want to win, why what would you do if you want? They literally have no answer. And when you see what they're prioritizing right now, whether it's trans people and women's sports, or illegal immigrants or gang bangers, it really boggles the mind. They're very, very lost, and the reason for that is because Donald Trump stole everything that was popular from their agenda. They abandoned the working class, they abandoned the labor to cater to far left, radical economic elites, and that's who their base is now, the top ten percent. Unfortunately, can't when an election with ten percent of the electorate.
Speaker 3: No, you absolutely can't.
Speaker 4: And it's been so self serving, obviously, as you said, laundering their reputations. But there's been plenty of people saying plenty about this for a very long time, and it's occasionally nice to be right about these things.
Speaker 3: Now, onto the.
Speaker 4: Economy, and obviously you've had a period of high inflation in the US, We've had it here in Australia, has been global. But recent data is showing that that inflation in the US is now coming in below expectation, and even the left landing CNN had to admit it.
Speaker 17: There is new data that just later from the Later Department showing inflation year every year actually slow to the lowest annual inflation rate since February of twenty twenty one.
Speaker 4: But here, what's the cause of this and what does this tell us about the current US economy.
Speaker 16: It's so amazing because every economists predicted we were going to go into a recession, and every economists predicted that the tariffs were going to be in fleetion, and of course this was all nonsense. They've been just as wrong about this as they were about NAFTA, and as they wore about mass immigration, which they always tell us raises the GDP.
Speaker 3: They're wrong about.
Speaker 16: Everything when it comes to the daily lives of average Americans. And Trump has been right again and again and again and again. And it is so amazing to see that the economy is just so nimble as to absorb the very important shock of the tariffs. A ten percent tariff is now the new normal for the United States. Donald Trump is raising billions of dollars in revenue to pay off our debt, which is extraordinary news and long overdue. And inflation has gone down, so everything they predicted what happen out of hatred of Donald Trump simply did not appear. And yet they cannot give him an ounce of credit for this. All they do is move on to the next thing that they try to turn into a scandal. The untold story here is the way that American business is actually absorbing some of the costs of inflation out of a newfound patriotism that I believe is very much generated out of their respect for Donald Trump and for the economy that he's trying to build. So you see people like GM promising that any cost student due to the tariffs, they will take out of their corporate profits rather than passing on to the consumer. There are other companies that are doing that, and boy are those companies going to be rewarded by the American consumer.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And those pesky egg prices, look at them come down despite what everyone had to say about them. Now, moving on to immigration and that there does continue to be a hot button issue in the US, including in relation to foreign gang members, so much so that Trump's announced a first ever self deportation program.
Speaker 15: I assigned an executive order to launch the first ever self deportation program for illegal aliens. We are making it as easy as possible for illegal aliens to leave America. Any illegal alien can simply show up at an airport and receive a free flight out of our country.
Speaker 3: But here that sounds almost quite sensible. What's the feeling over there?
Speaker 4: And it's been interesting some of the rubs, some of the friction in relation to Americans defending legal immigrants and criminals from deportation.
Speaker 16: This is not my favorite thing, only because I feel like it's a little bit rewarding bad behavior. If it works, I will totally support it, but honestly, I'm not sure people are going to self deport. I think they are going to have to do a little bit more work going and getting these people. We know where a lot of them are living, because they're living in hotels that are being paid for by taxpayers.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 16: I think if they cut them from a lot of the benefits roles, a lot of people would then consider self deporting at that point. But that's going to take Congress, and you know, Congress right now is mired in this reconciliation bill, so we'll see what happens with that.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 4: As a corollary tool that varies objection within the US too, the US offering asylumn to why South Africans, where does why and where does that come from?
Speaker 16: I have to say this was not my favorite thing. You know, of all the people who are desperately in need of asylum, they wouldn't have been at the top of my you know, to me, this seems a little bit like reverse identity politics in a way. There's somebody in the administration, perhaps Elon Musk, for whom this was an important issue. Me of course, is from South Africa, but it did seem to me in a way to be a bit of a troll of the left. And I don't know why we're bringing in more people when the whole point is, you know, we're trying to depoort people who are here illegally. But you know, this is something that I think obviously was important to somebody and they got what they.
Speaker 8: Were looking for.
Speaker 4: An immigration I suppose it's still causing some problems for the Democrats and including the California Governor Garin Gavin Newsom flip flopping on a policy in relation to illegal immigrants receiving taxpayer funded health You know, you think the answer here would be pretty common sense, but like you said, taxpayers paying for them to stay in hotels. But this is still a complicated issue for the Democrats, isont it even though they're not in government.
Speaker 16: The fact that Gavin Newsom is out there saying he's ready to take the fall and be the first to flip flop, He's going to be the first of many. The Democrats have no future if they can't get behind where the American people are at on immigration, and so seeing somebody like Gavin Newsom who's sort of on the fence about whether he's going to run in twenty twenty eight or not, somebody who's positioned very well to make these big pronouncements because you know, he may not run.
Speaker 3: He may he may not.
Speaker 16: This is a sign that the wind is changing and that people are getting the message in the Democratic Party that they have to really do a bit of a one to eighty on immigration if they ever want to be competitive again.
Speaker 3: I think that's an excellent observation.
Speaker 4: And lastly, while President Donald Trump is trying to strike trade deals and bring peace to the Middle East, alone, House Democrat for.
Speaker 3: Michigan's trying to impeach the president.
Speaker 4: Now sure Thanada recently moved to force a chamber wide vote on his impeachment resolution against President Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: He ended up backing down bire but what's the point of this.
Speaker 16: Honestly, this man is a joke and an embarrassment to his party, and I think even a lot of Democrats realized that, and so they shut it down very quickly. I think they realized that they need to get their act together, and I was glad to see them not have any tolerance for this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, excellent, Thank you, Thank you so much for your observations. Batir Unga Sagon. Thank you for joining the show, Thank you for having me, Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Still to come, and Prince Harry has been called door knocking on random doors while looking for a mate.
Speaker 3: The Louise Roberts joins me next to discuss that and much much more.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the show and joining me now is Skynews contributor Louise Roberts.
Speaker 3: Louise for all the carry on about Prince Harry.
Speaker 4: Needing security when he visits the UK, Well you think you'd be a bit more discerning about knocking on random doors in London?
Speaker 3: What's the story here?
Speaker 18: Absolutely Well, this amazing picture of Harry has come out of London where he's buzzy on someone's door. It's been captured on a ring cam, which occurs only every London home has now due to security fears. He was wandering the streets of Fulham in West London looking for a friend. He knocked on about three doors until he found the house, but discovered that, of course, the people he knew don't live there anymore. Apparently a Spanish family is now renting the property. But as you say, Caro, kind of it makes a mockery of his claim of wanting to make taxpayers to pay for his security because it's too dangerous for him to wander the streets or his family to actually visit as well, so the fact that he's quite happily walking around Fulham looking for a mate on his mobile phone and he looks like some sort of Chelsea Tops sort of trying to get recruits to go to the pub with.
Speaker 8: Him and have a few bevies in the afternoon.
Speaker 18: It was utterly bizarre, and there was no evidence of any security around him. And he's constantly claiming that he's an assassination target. But someone who's legitimately fearful for their safety on the streets doesn't do what he's been doing in Fulham.
Speaker 4: Well absolutely, I mean, look, there's just such a big difference between the words and the deeds there that it makes you really question the credibility of what he has to say. Now we're constantly being bombarded with the new Fresh lifestyle Megan, but a stunning piece in the UK Telegraph this week.
Speaker 3: About how she doesn't have time to cook. But this is not very on brand. He's the Luise.
Speaker 8: No, it's not very on brand.
Speaker 18: But maybe it's another example of optics over authenticity. For Megan, so what she's this is her podcast, The Confessions of a Female Founder, And in this she's revealed that probably like the rest of us, she does actually get takeaway food every now and then. But what Meghan does is sort of elevated by adding vegetables from her own garden, clearly organic, and sort of jazzes up this food so it doesn't look like something which just comes straight from Uber Eats like the rest of us. So I guess you could argue that she's being more realistic in this way by you know, saying she does get the occasional takeaway dish, but you know, at the same time, her mission is to be this lifestyle guru, to be this expert on creating food from scratch. And I really don't think that you'd see Martha Stewart claiming to add a few bits of chop chives or flowers or whatever it is on top of her takeaway food. So it's a bit of an own goal I think here.
Speaker 4: For Megan, I think so, and I think you know, most of us when we're ordering takeaways because we're under time pressure. When I order takeaway, I never think about elevating. It is literally the furthest thing from my mind if I am going to eat takeaway anyway. Onto the other British royal family, the Beckhams. Well, rumors of that family feud, they don't appear to be dissipating.
Speaker 8: What's the latest, So yes, this feud.
Speaker 18: Look, the nucleus is meant to be a budding of heads between Brooklyn Beckham's mother Victoria and his wife Nicola Peltz, of course, and they're both very strong world and it's a very emotional situation which culminated in Brooklyn and his wife abandoning all of David Beckham's fiftieth birthday celebrations, which is really very sad because this is a family which their brand is a.
Speaker 8: Very tight unit and I also think is legitimate as well.
Speaker 18: I mean, the kids and the mum and dad are always being photographed together and doing lots of events together.
Speaker 8: And there's a real authenticity there.
Speaker 18: But Brooklyn has done an interview in which he talks and it's a bit sad really. He talks about his passion for cars and he says that's one of the things that he bonded with his father David over so the love of motor vehicles and.
Speaker 8: Things like that.
Speaker 18: But look, this feud, I can't see it ending anytime soon. On that note, I we'll add that I did see a story this week as well about how Harry and Meghan apparently are counseling Brooklyn and his wife in California because they clearly been through a similar thing. But I think, you know, children need to respect their parents and perhaps make the first overture and making things up. And I think the ball is very much in Brooklyn's court.
Speaker 4: Here and not necessarily the people I'd be going to with how to deal with a family feud situation onto something a little just quietly, onto something a little more serious. Though, And the trial of rapper Sean Diddycombs that has started it has revealed some horrific details of alleged abuse. Now, this situation, I have a feeling is going to go from bad from bad to worse. But what has recently been revealed in the testimony, So.
Speaker 18: Cassie Ventura is his ex girlfriend who is in the witness stand at the moment. She's the star witness obviously for the prosecution. Over did his sex trafficking trial in the Manhattan Court She's eight months pregnant with her third child to her husband, so it's obviously a very stressful and emotional time for her. And I have to say some of the evidence that's come out should carry a warning because it is absolutely vile and just unimaginable. Well, I think she allegedly went through and what she said most recently is that she alleges that did he stomped on her head and punched her and would fly into these sort of terrible rages if she made the wrong face or sort of looked the wrong way. So the micromanaging of her behavior was such an extent. She says that he would lash out if something wasn't to his liking. So it's a very very upsetting court case, I think, and obviously very triggering. I think for a lot of people to listen to this type of evidence and the allegations that Cassie's putting forward.
Speaker 4: Absolutely and after the whole Harvey Weinstein saga, I feel like a lot of people perhaps feeling like we're going back around the same mountain again onto the Can's Film Festival, and it's recently changed his dress guidelines to ban nudity.
Speaker 3: So what's the background to that and has anyone come a cropper yet?
Speaker 18: Well, yes, there'll be plenty of stars I think will come a cropper over the next few days if they don't listen to these rules. So the dress code it can has been very much tightened. So they're saying no full nuditive. I think what they mean is any kind of nudity at all. And also any of those you know, these massive trains that actresses and you know Z List Wanna bees, I guess sort of, you know, they sort of trail up the red carpet and it causes such a chaos because the dress has got to be puffed up for the photographs and then has to be basically packed away, and so it causes a huge log jam in the sort of blistering French or you know, south of Front sunshine. So he is a problem for the celebrities whose makeup's probably dripping from their faces at this point. But it's also an when you're in the aisles inside the actual theater because nobody can move because the dresses are blocking everyone's access access point as well. So Pallie Barry has come a cropper because she had a dress in mind which had one of these massive trains on it, and she said, well, I had to pick something else. So she was photographed yesterday in quite a nice demure. I was pleased to see said black and white striped whole to neck number, which was a bit of a contrast to what she wought the Matt Gala and New York recently, which I thought looked like she was wearing gaffer tape. I thought it was absolutely horrific. And she's a very attractive woman and the idout feel needs to sort of dress like something out of Share in the nineteen eighties. But she's obviously taken the memo she will stick to the rule because she's on the jury, of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and fair enough, and you would absolutely expect that and look and to be honest, I actually have no issue with these sorts of rules being in place. I mean, when we watch from the television, you obviously don't see that sort of chaos there on the ground with all this fabric everywhere, But you can understand they're on a schedule and they've got to get on with it.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Louise Roberts, thank you so much for your time. Good to see that's it from me. Up next is Newsnight, good Night,