Speaker 1: You can listen to the Front on your smart sneaker every morning to hear the latest episode. Just say play the news from the Australian. From the Australian, Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Tuesday, July sixteenth. Donald Trump says surviving an assassin's bullet has given him an opportunity to unite America. Republicans are gathering in Milwaukee to endorse Trump at the national Convention and the Donald will name a vice president.
Speaker 2: He has just posted on truth Social that he has made his selection for vice president and it is jd Vance, the thirty nine year old senator from Ohio.
Speaker 1: Greens leader Adam Badd says he'll lead the party to a Robin Hood style take from the Rich victory at the next election. Band says big corporations will pay more tax and that the Greens have already replaced Labor as the party of the center left. That's part of our exclusive series on the Greens Live now at the Australian dot Com dot a U. The Aging King and the Young Superstars. Novak Djokovic says he just can't match it with Carlos al Karaz or Yannick Sinner. So who knew the spiky cocky serve would turn out to be a gracious loser? And is this the beginning of a whole new era in tennis? As all eyes turned to the Paris Olympics. We're joined by tennis writer Will Swanton.
Speaker 3: Jokovic, What ho you do?
Speaker 4: Is outing? What point? Sen Saxon from Jakovich's very best?
Speaker 1: Novak Djokovic the greatest of all time? So Skovich, He's been wonderful to watch and sometimes hard to light. Well, I know we're supposed to be impartial. I'm sure you are impartial even if I'm not. So do you love Novak Djokovic or do you hate him?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know if anyone in sports journalism is impartial.
Speaker 1: That's Will Swanton, a sports writer at The Australian and our man in the press box at the All England Lawn Tennyson Croquet Club, Wimbledon.
Speaker 4: I really admire Djokovic, I think like everyone else. Oh, I thought he was probably a bit too much a few years ago and he enjoyed lauding it over everyone. But in the last few years he does a great salesman's job for the sport as in he does long interviews, he gives deep and meaningful answers. He's shown amazing kind of dedication to doing what he wants to do, which was overtake Roger and Raffa, which he's done. He's thirty seven now, and it's a fascinating thing because in life he's still a young man.
Speaker 1: Tennessee. Isn't like Doggie, and.
Speaker 4: He hasn't always been a great winner. He could probably say he was a gracious loser yesterday. The way he spoke to us afterwards, he was just completely accepting of Carlos was better and it was almost as shocking as the lopsided result. Was no vatch reaction. Such a nice loser.
Speaker 5: Yeah, huge congrats to Carlos. Deserved this win today. He was a better player from the beginning to the end. But it was I guess inevitable for him to win today because he was just coming out on the court with a better quality tennis. That's as simple as it is.
Speaker 1: More than twenty five years at the top, a record twenty four Grand Slam singles titles, and your sense. Importantly for the Joker, he's outlasted the other two of tennis's Big three, retired Swiss gentleman Roger Federer and the chronically injured Spanish artist Rafel Nadal. And then so we can changed round a straight sets thrashing in the Wimbledon final at the hands of twenty one year old Spaniard Carlos Alparez.
Speaker 4: This that slone sixteen sixteen seventy six.
Speaker 3: Stop twenty one years of age.
Speaker 1: I guess we haven't got to see him losing much, have we. We've always seen him in victory, and maybe none of us would behave that well as world champions.
Speaker 4: And even when Novac used to talk himself up, he always used to say, I'm just being honest and if I'm winning a lot, I'm just telling you what I actually think. And now it makes you think that rings true because he was just absolutely cleaned up by Alcoraz and again he was just completely honest.
Speaker 5: You know, you can always analyze the match, of course after and say, you know, I could have done this or that, but just overall, the way I felt on the court today against him, I just I was inferior on the court.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 5: You know, he was a better player. He played every single shot better than add so.
Speaker 4: When I was leaving last night, I was even more stunned by just how great Chokovic was in this significant moment where it really felt like one era of tennis officially, and that's what it felt like. Without Roger, without Rafa, Novak was just completely outplayed. A new era has begun, and no one seems more accepting of it than him.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's safe to say then that Carlos al KaAZ is the new face of tennis? Or do we have to wait a couple of decades to work that out?
Speaker 4: Definitely the new face of tennis. Like when you turn up at a tournament, you see who the faces of tennis are, because all over that city posters of that face, and every tournament we go to now front and center will be Carlos al Karaz, and he's such a godsend for the sport. I remember not so long ago we used to wonder, how will tennis continue to thrive when you don't have these great characters in Roger Back and Raffa who capture people's attention, who don't just love tennis? How is tennis going to keep going when they've gone? But then Alcoraz has popped up and it's just this joyful, beaming, entertaining, extremely likable showman of a young Spaniard and it's just such a great thing for the sport. But as Novak so graciously conceded, it's the year of Alcaraz and sinner in his days are numbered.
Speaker 1: Carlos, you've defended your title.
Speaker 5: Does it feel as good as the first time?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yeah, it's yeah.
Speaker 5: I feel he was the first one.
Speaker 1: It is an amazing feeling for me being the champion, killing women on back to back.
Speaker 5: It is great. So I'm really proud and really happy about.
Speaker 1: It coming up. So will Djokovic finally throw in the towel? Plus a spine chilling moment for Britain's in saor NEI of some good news. We'll be back after this break. There's a treat looming for tennis fans. Both Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal have confirmed they'll play at the Paris Olympics beginning next week. As a Rafa Nadal fan myself, I'm desperately hoping that he retires and doesn't get humiliated as an old man. He's a hearing forty getting thrashed by twenty year olds. That is now happening to Novak Djokovic. Are those guys going to retire now?
Speaker 4: Oh, good old Rafa, stop the fight. I agree with you at a slightly different point, but an absolute highlight of the Olympics will be the men's doubles because young, sprightly, exuberant Los Alcarez will be trying to carry you know, good old Rafael and Nadhal through the doubles.
Speaker 1: Oh what a match up.
Speaker 4: That will be fantastic. I think Novaks. It's a funny one with Novak because he did reach the winmbledon final, so it's not like a complete disaster. But I when there's two damning stats for Novak. He hasn't beaten another top ten player since last November, which is incredible, and his final here in London was the first final he's made all year of any tournament. Roger and Rafa hung in there as long as they could. I don't think Novak will do the same. I think his pride in performance means that if he really starts believing he's not going to win majors, I think he'll walk away, and he might walk away pretty quickly. Whereas Roger and Raffa they just had this kind of they've always had this boyish love of playing tennis. They just wanted to keep playing or.
Speaker 1: What will was at center court for a spine tingling moment, a standing ovation for Catherine, Princess of Wales. Has she emerged for a rare break from her chemotherapy treatment, escorting her daughter, Princess Charlotte.
Speaker 2: And here we are the appearance of her Royal Highness. Very appearance, Sarah, symbol of the resilience, hmm, exactly.
Speaker 4: My request for a seat in the Royal Box didn't come through, so I was at the far I was at the far end of the court. But so you're looking straight at the Royal Box and there's no kind of announcement that Kate was about trumpets trumpets, And but then this beautiful wave of applause just went around this truly beautiful sporting stadium. And I looked up and unless she was sworning down the aisle to her seats, there was a touching kind of gave me a great sense of what the royal family and what means to people. With that myself, it was a really heartfelt long ovation, and she did this beautiful, little understated way with everyone. I thought, oh that's quite nice.
Speaker 1: Really, Oh you you're Amnicus. Now, Will Swanton and our team of sports writers are heading to Paris for the Olympics, which could be Djokovic's last stand. Some of the country's most progressive new sexual consent laws are in doubt after the New Sothwales Supreme Court said they were confusing and throughout the conviction of an eighteen year old man found guilty of raping a drunk schoolgirl. You can check out that exclusive by Ellie Dudley, plus the rest of the nation's best journalism by joining our subscribers now at the Australian dot com dot au