Speaker 1: From the Skying Center. This is Paul Murray life. Thank you, Sherry and everyone else before us.
Speaker 2: I hope they enjoy the break. We are not done for the year. We're going another show coming up on Sunday night. So let's play as normal right now. We know when it comes to this Prime Minister, there are many things that sum him up. But as I have started to move into that time of life when country music, well it just hits a man a little different than.
Speaker 1: It used to.
Speaker 2: There's a song that I think is a lot of country and a whole lot elbow.
Speaker 1: You know it because it always is not his fault, all right.
Speaker 2: You know that as the team on the Ray Hadley Morning Program, or Chris Kendy here with the not Responsible thing, we've all kind of seen what's going on here. Right When it's great, it's all him, and when it's not, oh, it's nothing to see here. And when it comes to excuses, they never blame themselves for the idea or the arguing or the pressure it.
Speaker 1: Puts on astrainer. No, not at all.
Speaker 2: Remember, of course, when four hundred and fifty million dollars was spent on a referendum last year that went from sixty forty support to sixty forty.
Speaker 1: No, of course that wasn't his fault. That was.
Speaker 3: Misinformation, misinformation, misinformation, the.
Speaker 4: Misinformation, which is there some misinformation.
Speaker 2: Now of course the economy, which has absolutely nothing to do with this government unless, of course the numbers are good, and then it's all their responsibility. Well, of course they have no responsibility for structural budget deficits. That mean we will have a budget deficit for the next forty forty years out of twenty forty. Midion almost said forty years out to the twenty sixties. The same government that turns around has had record migration, and I've got a bit more to say about that later in the program. No, no, no, no, again, they've got their excuses. You can't blame us. We're doing our best.
Speaker 5: Inflation is moderating but lingering, especially in North America. Growth is weak in China, and it's slowing in other major economies. The Middle East conflict has escalated, risking higher oil prices. The war in Ukraine continues. Supply chains are fragmenting while the global economy transforms.
Speaker 2: So could you explain why other countries are cutting interest rates and ours are staying rock solid at generation highs, we'll get ready because already being baked into the meat pie for us to consume between now and the next federal election. Then excuse that all underperforming governments around the world, but certainly our underperforming government here is going to use over and over and over again.
Speaker 1: In fact, they're doing it already.
Speaker 2: The number one reason why the economy, which was crap in twenty two, crap in twenty three, crap in twenty four, will still be crap in twenty five.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump, Donald Trump, Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: But what sorry, what.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump's going to be the reason why the economy doesn't get any better. Of course he hasn't been president for the past four years. But okay, now you'll see this when you set out a not so sophisticated search party in around the news at the moment where there's lots of little people already preparing the ultimate excuse for twenty twenty five by car Blo mask got a Orange Man, Bad.
Speaker 1: And on.
Speaker 2: This comes from the SBS, the same of course over at the Union superannuation news sites, and already we are being pre cooked for those that are paying interest rates that are, as I said, generation high levels already we are being told that one of the reasons why there can be no changes when it comes.
Speaker 1: To interest rates is.
Speaker 2: Reserve Bank stands ready for Trump economic fallout. Okay, let's nip this one right in the bud. Let's just salt the earth before this one is able to actually take root, and they're going to have a new blame tree to lift their leg on. Join me over at camera three. Now, who was the President of the United States when interest rates started going up in Australia in twoenty and twenty two?
Speaker 1: Was it Donald Trump? Or was it this guy? Oh?
Speaker 2: Now, when Australia did start having interest rates go up, who was the Prime minister? Will of course it was Scott Morrison the first time, and that was in cost living crisis. But who was the prime minister when they went up in June of twenty twenty two or July or August, September, October, November, December twenty and twenty two?
Speaker 1: What about when they.
Speaker 2: Put up the rates in February of two thousand and twenty three, March of the same year, May of the same year, June of the same year or November of twenty and twenty.
Speaker 1: Was Donald Trump? No? Back to camera one.
Speaker 2: Now, of course it's all Sump's fault, ain't true when it comes to the cost of living crisis. We know the Yes, there had been global issues, but they were global issues before the last election. But they were also so personal about the former government. Hence why Australians turned on them, booted them, got rid of them, on top of a whole bunch of other stuff. And as rich I says, people always get it right. You will not see me sooking or sucking my thumb about any of that stuff. And one of the reasons why this government has gone backwards year after year after year in the opinion polls is because of their handling of the economy. Their promise in twenty twenty two was that the life would be cheaper under an Albanezi government. At the start of twenty twenty three, it was their promise that they were going to get on top of it this year. It was their promise at the start of twenty twenty four that we were going to have a reset and two little too late tax cuts were somehow.
Speaker 1: Going to change everything.
Speaker 2: But we called that play that it was billions of dollars on a slogan for the prime minister to try to change his political fortunes around. But guess what, nothing happened. In fact, it all got worse. So they blamed Trump, they blame misinformation, they blame the war in Ukraine. So what do all Australian political leaders who end up finding themselves in a world of trouble start doing well?
Speaker 1: They blame News Corp.
Speaker 2: They blame the very company of which this station is owned by. The newspapers you may well read are owned by. Of course, the calculation of who's the biggest news company in the country completely leaves out that we have not one, but.
Speaker 1: Two two public broadcasters. Whatever.
Speaker 2: But a small note to the Prime Minister before he starts this and inevitably.
Speaker 1: Will be embraced by those who.
Speaker 2: Just want to shut us up. Why because we push back. And I don't mean that company wide. I mean that at this part of the company and this show on this part of the company, a company that is willing to fight for values and willing to back people in like myself to say whatever I think.
Speaker 1: Each and every night.
Speaker 2: You see the most harsh criticism, the one that's really ringing the Prime Minister's bell at the moment, well and truly the constant beat of self doubt is there because of what we point out each and every night. But the stuff that really hurts them on the inside, well it doesn't come from this company. Instead, it was somebody who, according to a freedom of information request, was on the list of people second only to the Great Murferoux who ended up working for the Prime Minister after leaving The Guardian to work for the Prime Minister, which was nasty Nicky Sava. Remember she wrote this, and you may notice it comes.
Speaker 1: From the Uggs, the Ugger, not a.
Speaker 2: News limited publication, not a news Corp publication.
Speaker 1: But no, no, no, it's all their fault. Royal Commission, Royal Commission.
Speaker 2: Now please look sorry, back here. The thing is, what does my heading is this idea right that that somehow you can invent things that aren't true and the Australian people will just go marching with you like pied piper.
Speaker 1: Anyway, you get the point.
Speaker 2: Here's the deal. Everything that you know to be wrong about this government, you know to be wrong because it is. You can't make up that three million people are this close to homelessness. You can't make up that three and a bit million people are worried about where their meals may come from.
Speaker 1: You cannot make.
Speaker 2: Up that for three Christmases in a row, there are stories in all types of media that turn around and tell us about how to off Christmas is going to be let alone. You can't make up that the Prime Minister went and bought a four and a half million dollar house for the never never because he can at a time when millions of people are in mortgage stress. You can't make up that the Prime Minister decided to spend four hundred and fifty million dollars on a referendum which was really about burnishing his own place in history. This was a guy who had sat and he had studied, studied Howard, studied Keating, studied Rudd, Guillard. He saw what they all went up and down here and there, and he knew if I can lay a punch in the first twelve eighteen months for the history books, then I will be forever remembered as the prime minister who did that. Because the unfortunately most recent history of our country in the past ten or so years is that when most of them only end up serving for one election, or they win one election, the biscuit at the next election, people turn around and.
Speaker 1: Say, well, what do they do. Well, I'm the gay marriage one.
Speaker 2: I'm the one who said sorry, I'm the one who saved our economy. They all want that one achievement, the voice and the vote about it was about him doing that. If he really wanted the voice, he could have legislated it. On the first day of Parliament, newspoll produced in which newspaper has tracked the popularity and the fall apart of this prime minister.
Speaker 1: Now, it's always so easy.
Speaker 2: For people to turn around and say, you know what, I'm actually winning this footy game. It's the people who keep score. They're the ones who've got the problems. No, and remember this government tried to turn around and sense it the internet to try to stop evidence based criticism like what I deliver for you each and every night. And I have deliberately turned our attention to trying to build it around the facts, with the opinion in and around about that. You know it's not a grain of salt in there. You know it's a brick from the Australian Bureau Statistics. I show you where the data comes from. Like your old maths teacher used to say, show working. I show working every night. Yet still they wanted to turn around and they wanted to say that content shared by you, made by people like me, to be declared by left far left think tanks is misinformation, would somehow be eventually pested off the internet. It's your bed, Prime Minister. You made it, You're gonna lign it, and we'll all find out what happens next year.
Speaker 1: Now join me over here.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let's talk about immigration, and the consistency when talking about immigration on this show is that it's not a conversation about where people come from, what language you know for all of that, right, it's just literally about a country. How many people can this joint take now the beginner town that want to sell more staff, or the bureaucrats in treasury who want more taxpayers to pay for the people who they brought in ten years ago or twenty years ago as they slowly move their way towards retirement and sort of prime midi care time.
Speaker 1: That's a Ponzi scheme. Right on this show.
Speaker 2: We know what the consequences are if you add a million extra people in just a couple of years. And that's what's happened under this government, is that the number of houses that there are for the people who were here before the million people turned up is dwindling. The number of places where if you get picked up in an ambulance that would drop you off at a hospital that would have a bed is stopped. And every single time there's an opinion poll on this, including and I've been very specific in my sourcing this evening, because i would like to show that there is not a specific conspiracy about pointing out the failures of this government. There's just people reporting on the failures of this government. Opinion poll after opinion poll after opinion poll that asked question, is immigration too Hi?
Speaker 1: Guess what it concludes?
Speaker 6: Every time Yes, yes, yes, Not because Australia is racist, but because Australians understand there's only so many spots on the road, there's only so many spots in the hospital, where there's only so many spots.
Speaker 2: In the childcare centers. Again, poll after poll after poll, high immigration loser support.
Speaker 1: Two thirds of Australians want lower immigration, but we get it anyway.
Speaker 2: Why because Treasury needs to say the economy is growing even though we're in a per capita recession and have been for seven quarters in a row. Seven Times three months twenty one months in a row, where we the citizen have been going backwards. What we are able to spend with our one dollar is back to the value of where we were in twenty ten.
Speaker 1: But of course it's a giant conspiracy. Please now you may recall I was slightly skeptical of the.
Speaker 2: Prime Minister bouncing around with clothes Clare O'Neil, who I think back then had something to do with immigration, saying we're definitely going to harve the amount of immigration because we know this is a political problem, even though of course lefty Laura Tingle and the rest of them were saying, oh, we don't really have a problem.
Speaker 1: We're racist nation.
Speaker 2: All these people are going to start turning on people who look different at auctions.
Speaker 1: Well maybe in the act but nowhere else, and.
Speaker 2: Not even in the acte because Australians aren't like that. Well guess what it was a lie. They didn't deliver. Numbers come out today and the Turnbull Times, The Turnbull Times says embarrassing numbers see the Abanezi government likely to miss its migration reduction target, meaning they didn't cut migration. Where do those numbers come from? That far right wing thing tankle it's down the botcherode the barrel less one. The Australian Bureau of Statistics again, let's show working.
Speaker 1: Have a look at this.
Speaker 2: You can see the red line total population growth. The brownish line is the number of people that have come into the country net migration. The blue line number of babies. You see where the majority of the growth is coming from. Ladies and gentlemen. In terms of the number of people who have come to your state in the past twelve months. You so while one hundred and forty two thousand Victoria, one hundred and thirty two thousand Queensland, seventy four thousand So Australia, twenty three thousand, fifty eight thousand from Western Australia, three in a bid, thousand and four Tasmania. These are people, by the way, from international places. Now people have decided to move to better climates, better jobs, newer jobs, cheaper houses. Every one of those people has been brought into the country. Oh, because we have a skill shortage, And that might be true, but that's also because the smarty pants that are now telling us we must have more people.
Speaker 1: Come on in, come on in. Whatever I know there's a cube.
Speaker 7: Come this money.
Speaker 2: It's matey.
Speaker 1: Just pay your taxes on the way. Don't worry. You can all compete for the same houses.
Speaker 2: Those are the same people who told a generation like thirty years where the school kids, you must finish your twelve, you must go to university. We must educate Australia. We must have big brain to Australia. Unless you're going to be an engineer than you were a failure. If you're not going to be an engineer, be an art student. When the reality is that what we should have been saying to a lot more people than those that were going to university was you know what, become a tradee. It's going to really pay off for you one day. Yes, it's hard graft, it's hard work, but guess what life is. There's a very few number of people that are able to just sort of get money sent to them by a mystery uncle somewhere in Monaco has just got too much of it and can't eat one hundred dollars bills anymore. Right, I don't know if that person exists, but good luck to you and congratulations if you're in the the bloodline. Send us all something for Christmas. But for everyone else, Yeah, it's hard, it's tough, but we told a whole bunch of kids, you know what, it doesn't have to be tough.
Speaker 1: You can go and and turn your film study as the manager into a billion dollar kara where Now I get it.
Speaker 2: Not everyone's going to be exactly great with a jackammer or amazing as a welder, but you get my point.
Speaker 1: The consequence of.
Speaker 2: Which is is that surprise, surprise. The very system that pushed your kids in that direction or your grandkids in that direction, is the same one that turns around says we must open the floodgates with all of those people coming in the past two years, added to your kids trying to find a house, compete for a house, the houses that there are a few of to rent, or the ones that are more expensive. It's almost like it's by design, isn't it. You can't possibly say that. Another theme we have been relentless about and we will continue to be next year, which is other people's money, about how those in charge just love to pitle it away. Now, I've always spoken to the people who make a graphics who are awesome, they work really, really, really hard that I just wanted an image of like a treasure and just a brick wall and need to get the no, no, no, that would be poor taste for so we stand by this, but imagine every time you see this. That's what I'm mentally thinking right now. In terms of how some people spend our money. Now story today, they've got a few people interested. Federal government departments spent taxpayer cash on artworks, dance performances and instruments. Taxpayers forked out six hundred and fifty thousand dollars so federal government departments could commission artworks, supplies, dance performances, sorry, dance performance and exhibition. In the last year, eight hundred and seventy thousand dollars was stent by the Australian Embassy in the United States on five new pieces of art.
Speaker 1: Do you Sue's the ambassador?
Speaker 2: I couldn't possibly have a sweet tooth for other people's money, could he? The Department of Infrastructure and Transport commissioned at Queensland based gallery to work for a chair of twenty four thousand dollars on the behalf of another government department.
Speaker 1: Isn't that great?
Speaker 2: Another big ticket item saw defat spend twenty five thousand dollars and the Arctics the Boosroom in the United So the massive spend on art by the government departments was also confirmed when six hundred and ninety eight thousand dollars were spent by the Department of Defense and the Federal Police to acquire musical instruments, including a total of three hundred and twelve thousand dollars on a Melbourne based wind instrument sales.
Speaker 1: Now, I get it right. You know Army banned great police band. Great.
Speaker 2: I'm not hanging it on you, But just who is the lucky bugger who held out for long enough to go you know what, one day, one day, if we just keep at this wind instrument sales and repairs business, will eventually be the last one left. And every time the Army band needs a new three hundred and twelve thousand dollars. So that's all fun. But far more dangerous and far more insipile, and far more difficult and far more intergenerational is what these people had been doing with other people's money. Prime Minister is finance minister, and the treasurer the treasurer at the federal and the state level.
Speaker 1: Today we learn that over the next couple of years. They are going to borrow.
Speaker 2: Sitting down more than half a tee for trillion dollars over the next four years, six hundred and fifty b four billion dollars. Westpack is someone who put this together. Their senior economist, pat Buster Monte has forecast that government's borrowing to almost double this financial year, to be just over six percent of GDP.
Speaker 1: Who cares about those numbers, I get it, So let me put it this way for you.
Speaker 2: This would broadly be in line with what was borrowed at the height of the GFC, high than what was borrowed during the protracted early nineties recession, and only surpassed by the government borrowing during the pandemic. So we are post pandemic, we are POSTGFC, but we are preparing for Trump's economy. So borrowing of this magnitude has previously been a response to significant deteriorations in.
Speaker 1: The labor market or the threat of a protected recession, meaning we are in a recession.
Speaker 2: We have been for twenty one months at the per capital level. But because growth is zero point one, zero point two, zero point three, Oh, we're just chugging along. No, we're a car that's idling when you take your foot off the break that is not moving.
Speaker 1: All right, movements, but it ain't moving.
Speaker 2: To give it an idea again in visual form here you can see to the left the numbers that go all the way back pro the year two thousand, back to the recession in the nineteen nineties. You can see the GFC, you can see the pandemic, and you can see that what is coming up in the next couple of years bigger than the money that they took out of the GFC when remember they just gave people money. Remember the money, God love you if you went and spend it on a plasma. And that's still the plasma that you're watching us on right now. Hi, clean down there. There's some handprints now a couple of other things I want to mention here too. There are some good news about the economy today, and I will not hide it here not there's nothing political about it.
Speaker 1: It's just what's happening, which is jobs.
Speaker 2: There was a good number that came out today about the number of people that have got a new job. However, as always, there's some details that you need to know here. Full time employment went up by fifty two thousand people. That's great, that's football stadium full of people, right awesome. However, the number of part time employees went down by a smaller football stadium of seventeen thousand people. That of course means it's great that there's the full time workers. But does anyone think that some of the part time workers just ended up losing their jobs They didn't automatically move over to the full time employees. But still, because you can never have any good things at any one time. According to the Reserve Bank, it was a surprise today that the unemployment number fell to three point nine percent unemployment and that, of course now means absolutely no chance of an interest right cup. But that's all Donald Trump's fault, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 2: News in the world of sport tonight is that the next place to hold, or one of the next places to hold, the FIFA Football World Cup is going to be well, not much better than a previous one that's held it. Remember when Katar held the Football World Cup a couple of years ago. Now, I, among others, did not like this World Cup. Why because thousands of people died building the very venues in order to host the Cup. But you know, the football started, everyone watched it. Don't talk about that. Well, last night, the same people that were patting themselves on the back about what happened in Qatar decided to award an upcoming World Cup to the only country that was bidding.
Speaker 8: That the host of the FIFA World Cup twenty thirty four well be Sallyaabia nabaruv Clia, France, Henriots Nabaru to everyone.
Speaker 2: That were the only country that was bidding. It was like Brisbane in the twenty thirty two Games. So a couple of things about this. These tournaments are firstly too expensive and clearly that's why people don't want to keep hosting them. And secondly, if the only countries that can afford to host them are ones that have pretty bad human rights records or potentially bad rights records when it comes to workers, then why are they being rewarded with these big events?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Because of course it will bring them into the twenty first century. It will modernize them. You know the way that Russia is completely now and open and free and amazing democracy after it held a World Cup, Or what about China who held two Olympic Games that they're open for business?
Speaker 1: Aren't they now.
Speaker 2: Now Australia is a tubby nation. I can afford to say this because I think we all know. But here's the deal. Now, obesity is a bigger problem than smoking in Australia. In fact, it is considered to be a greater threat to the average Australian's life than smoking. It's a good thing, because we're glad that smoking is gone from most places. A terrible, awful, filthy discussing, terrible habit. Do not start, do not begin, do not pass. Go Please pay three hundred dollars per packet in tax so you can keep going around. But yeah, obesity is now ever taking tobacco as the greatest risk at the moment. Get ready for some pretty hot weather in the next little while. In fact, there is an expectation that plenty of people are going to be absolutely sweltering in the next few days.
Speaker 9: It is getting hot from the outback all the way through to the coast, and this is due to a very warm air spreading from Western Australia this week all the way through to the nation's southeast by the beginning of next week, which we can.
Speaker 10: Track on our forecast upper air Temperashire.
Speaker 2: Map and then for some reason, I don't know why there are so many people, Well, not so many. There's like two hundred people who complain about TV ads. Now, I don't know what's going on in your life that you complain about a TV ad, father being a fan serveral sex restory, Oh, someone thinking about the children. Well that's exactly what happened. And here's a couple of examples of the most complained about ads in Australia. A whole twenty two people complained about this ad because they said it was too scary for kids. Cut off, they can pay for the rest, They can pay for the rest before the little Scottish man comes in and tells us good gig right for him. That was upheld as being too scary for kids. Too scary for kids, so they went, you know what, you must censor that one red rooster. Some people complained about some of their ads for being all a little bit too offensive, and the number one most complained about ad, with a grand total of sixty nine people. Sixty nine people complained about this was, according to ad News, an advertisement which begins with a shirtless man exiting a bedroom, coming face to face with two women. They giggle and say good morning. The third woman exits the bedroom and the first says mum. They all look awkwardly, and then someone says did someone say CAFC?
Speaker 1: I don't care.
Speaker 2: Somebody was sexual sexual disgusting. It'll lead to dipping sauce. Someone can Sixty sixty nine people complained about that. Thankfully no breach was recorded at all. And now the bit that I have been nervous about all day. Clive Robertson, a titanic figure of Australian broadcasting and a person who I am forever honored to say.
Speaker 1: Was my mate.
Speaker 2: Clive passed away this week and all day it's sort of come and gone about the tears for a guy who would absolutely hate that he's been even spoken about, let alone spoken about in this sort of overly emotional way.
Speaker 1: You know who Clive Robertson is. I know who Clive Robertson is, But.
Speaker 2: If you don't, here is how Patrick Burns celebrated the life of this incredible broadcaster on seven News.
Speaker 11: To me, it was a whole new world of news could eve. There's a sense of dejau vu about this first story Good Evening. There's a sense of dejau vu about this first story.
Speaker 7: Clive Robertson a nineteen eighties news ratings sensation.
Speaker 11: I think it's time for another beat up, aren't you?
Speaker 7: A newsreader who wouldn't stick to the script.
Speaker 11: Should have been a technician, except I had better toetry habits.
Speaker 7: A train nut, published photographer. Friends say he was a recluse with a deep religious fate.
Speaker 11: Trying to animate this show, I said, could you be a bit more animated?
Speaker 7: Clive privately battled cancer for about a year. He would have been seventy nine. In two weeks, A legend gone from the newsward Goodnight, Patrick Burns seven News.
Speaker 2: Like any little kid who dreams of being on the radio one day, or maybe being on the telly, you are really aware of who's on the radio and who's on the telly.
Speaker 1: And we were really aware of.
Speaker 2: Clive Robertson being on the television more so than the radio. He'd been on the radio for a long time before at TBL which is now seven oh Twobsith, as he would often refer to it, Earth and he was a phenomena.
Speaker 1: He was the type of person who could turn.
Speaker 2: Nothing into like an hour long bit that he'd bring back two days later, and he worked on layers and levels that a lot of people just it's impossible to even explain how he did what he did, but when you were experiencing them, you knew that somebody was playing some pretty cool music. But I watched him on television, and my beautiful friend Andrew watched him on television as well, and we grew up and we watched this late night show and it was called Newsworld and it was on roughly about ten thirty on Channel seven, and it was Clive reading the news. And Clive had read the news before on the eleven AM program, but this was a news cast where he would read the news perfectly with that beautiful, incredible voice, but he'd start mucking around, because that's Clive. He can't not muck around, he can't not poke fun. And then that became the attraction. So you were able to watch and it's all on YouTube, and you can sit around and have a look back at long versions of the show, and there's all stuff about the Berlin wallfalling and nuclear arms race, and then there'll be a silly story about dolphins.
Speaker 1: All of those sorts of things, but this wickedly.
Speaker 2: Funny, smart man who the more you watched him, the more you loved him, and the more he became a friend. In this sort of very before it was clever to say something was cult like, there was just this way of saying did you see it?
Speaker 1: Did you see it?
Speaker 2: And there was a certain group of people who saw it and got it, and there are other people who didn't and they were missing out. And my dear friend ANDROI say, because of course, back in the sort of eighties and nineties, when people did things on television, the kind of high compliment that could be paid of them was when somebody would take the piss out of them on like a comedy company or a fast forward show. And when we're in year six at school, we all sort of did these little skits about a fake TV show and I was doing the Steve Bizard thing, and Andrew did Clive Robertson.
Speaker 1: He was very good at it.
Speaker 2: A few years later, I ended up working at Radio two SM with my dear friend Jason Morrison, and Jason had brought me over there after starting my career journalistically at TWOGP and that's where I started to meet Clive, and Clive was doing the Breakfast Show then and I, as I have said many a time, as a high functioning dyslexic, which means when you come up against a person as brilliant as Clive and you put words in the wrong place, he points them out, and then there'd be a little test about whether you could take it, and clearly he liked that I could, and then we became friends. And anyone who knows Clive, and without betraying the privacy of Clive, is that there's not a lot of people in his world at any one time, and I was lucky enough to be one of the very few people in his life for a nice junk of time. And in that time, I had a guy who I loved watching as a kid, slowly poke fun at the world. Helped me build a worldview, help me work out how I would like to do what I'd like to do. And there's a lot of things that happen on this show that are even unconsciously things that we've talked about over the years. And tonight, a little later in the show, Jason is going to be here because he was Clive's forever friend and his beautiful wife Heidi, and they would both buy his bedside as he passed and Kel Richards, who of course you know here at Sky News, he worked with him at the ABC and has an equally wonderful turn of phrase. And I'll save it a little more for a little later, but if we could take a wide shot of this desk, guys, because you may notice something that's different about this show then lots of other shows on the Telly and certainly lots of the other shows here at Sky News, is these microphones. I don't use Lapel microphone. We have these microphones. And these microphones are Neuman microphones, which are really fancy ones from Germany, and they pick up a beautiful sound and they're the ones that Clive used on his show. So for me to be sitting here tonight talking into anyman microphone on a television about a man who was awesome is equally thrilling and tough. And I can also hear him say okay enough, Murray.
Speaker 1: That's it. So that's it for now, but we'll talk about more later.
Speaker 2: But Clive robertson Rocked and one of the things whenever you do a job like this, that you're most afraid of when you don't do a job like this, is that one day, you'll just be forgotten. It is my mission tonight to make sure that he is not forgotten and that we celebrate Clive Robertson a little later tonight on Paul Murray Life, our favorite person to talk to in the entire world is the wonderful Megan Kelly, And for one last time this year, let us say hello too, the wonderful Megan Kelly from The Megan Kelly Show.
Speaker 1: Serious XM Rockstar. What a year.
Speaker 2: We started off the president that we only wasn't up to it. We end with a president who is now where to be saying, but the replacement president will take him every day of the week.
Speaker 1: What a year.
Speaker 12: It's been crazy, right, I know, it's really incredible when you think about it. They just said that the President's going to be named Time Magazine's Person of the Year, President Elect Donald Trump, and it had to be him. I mean, I don't know if it was a head fake or walk, but they were saying.
Speaker 10: Well it might be they were either were considering.
Speaker 12: Maybe Kamala Harris, Okay, I mean with the mainstream media, you'd have to consider that they would do something that stupid. Maybe Elon Musk Okay, that could make some sense, But in the year like this, it could only ever have been one person.
Speaker 10: It has to be Donald Trump.
Speaker 12: It is truly the most stunning political comeback, comeback, maybe even of all time, and on top of having done it, you know, having actually won the president see after being so down and out he was almost assassinated twice. I mean, he actually was hit by an assassin's bullet in front of all of our eyes and committed one of the most extreme acts of bravery we've ever witnessed from a presidential candidate or a president. So to have ignored that and to have made anyone other than Donald Trump would have been just such a farce.
Speaker 10: And in naming him Person of the Year, although they.
Speaker 12: Do name people who they hate sometimes, it really does once again put the lie to the whole Hitler, fascist, etc. Smear that's been unleashed against him time and time again by publications like Time Magazine.
Speaker 2: I think also Time Magazine knows that if they put Trump as Person of the Year, there's a person in Florida who orders about ten thousand copies of the magazine just to keep in the ballroom, just to hand.
Speaker 1: Out to guests at the club. I don't know who that person is, but there's a very good chance that they are being bulk ordered by Marri Lago.
Speaker 10: Hal.
Speaker 12: Can I tell you when I went to see Trump in his office back in fifteen or sixteen sixteen, Uh, and trum tower as stacks and stacks and stacks of magazines all over his desk, just of him, just copies of magazine.
Speaker 10: This is before he was president.
Speaker 12: Magazine everywhere, it was all over And I think I'm told you the story. But he used to send me at random, just when I was on Fox News articles.
Speaker 10: About me. He would just pull the article and then he would just sign it Donald J. Drow.
Speaker 1: It's the little touches. It's a little touch and I have that.
Speaker 10: But yeah, he does like to see himself on on magazines.
Speaker 1: Did he like Merry Christmas?
Speaker 10: Wait before I go, you can't wrap me?
Speaker 1: No stopping?
Speaker 12: Literally, we might not see each other when the break is over because America appears to be under attack from space aliens.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, could I not do?
Speaker 10: We have to discuss what's happening in New Jersey.
Speaker 1: There's drones everywhere, but nobody's saying what they are. What's going on down?
Speaker 12: Oh, they're saying that they are SUV sized drones, that there are hundreds of them over New Jersey, including over military sites, and no.
Speaker 10: One knows what they are, at least no one's admitting that they know.
Speaker 12: So the local lawmakers in New Jersey just had a briefing with the FEDS and they walked out angry, esteam, coming out of their ears, saying we learned nothing. The Feds say they don't know what these are, they don't know where they're from. One lawmaker was like, it's from Iran. They have some stealth mothership off the coast, and these are Iranian drones, and then propably, the FBI denied that the Pentagon. The Pentagon denied that, saying that's not true. Well, then why did this lawmaker who was just in the briefing come out and say that. The other lawmakers are saying, we have no idea. The Feds, who have jurisdiction to shoot them down or do something about them, are doing nothing, which leads a lot of people to think they're ours. They are ours, and so we're protecting them. But if they're ours, why wouldn't we have removed them by now? Now that they've been spotted and they've been a news story. They've been flying over there since November eighteenth. Then the other side swoops in to say, is this a government effort to protect us that they can't shut down because they've seen something. They think we're we're going to be hit by a dirty bomb. This is my speculation, according to some people online andlat like something awful about to happen, so they need the droves. The speculation has gotten so out of control. And that's not even factoring in little Green men and those possibilities.
Speaker 10: No one knows what's happening. I hope I live.
Speaker 12: I hope we do this when you're done with Baker and I can tell you all about what they were.
Speaker 1: Well, we could geze.
Speaker 2: Of course, that might be they just wear Amazon drones that were trying to drop off alcohol to Kamala and they all got lost and they're just swirling around in the sky.
Speaker 12: Okay, if that's true, because you know it could be. I'm sure she's desperate for a cocktail and.
Speaker 10: She has a doggie. What's up there?
Speaker 12: That wasn't anyway it could be. But apparently these things disappear like you see them now. You see them now, you don't and there's videotape of them.
Speaker 10: Go google them. This is not made up.
Speaker 12: You can see them. It looks almost like shooting stars. If you look at the time last lapse video. They've been spotted every night. It comes out for like seven hours, but as as soon as somebody tries to like mess with them, they disappear.
Speaker 10: So now, how is that? And how are they suv sized? Paul? That's what I want to know.
Speaker 12: What in the hell and are they scoping out? You know Trump has a golf course there and a home in Bedminster. I'm just going to tell you it's not that far from where I spend my summers in the Jersey Shore. So I would like to know if there's some sort of a nuclear tech being planned. Just you know, f YI thought I thought my biggest problem down there was the windmills. They're about to build this. This has gotten my attention, and no matter who gets involved, at what level, everyone says I know nothing, I see nothing.
Speaker 10: There's no story here. Ignore the drones in front of your eyes. So I don't know.
Speaker 13: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it you?
Speaker 2: Guys?
Speaker 10: Are you you have something I don't? Do you know something I don't know?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry that the satellites just break. I'm disappearing. I'm disappearing now. Goodbye, Megan, goodbye.
Speaker 12: Oh don't Very has to come back and see me, because let anybody take your power.
Speaker 1: You got your power. You got your power, My power, I.
Speaker 10: Got, I got my viogka. Oh be joyful, mag Christ Mike.
Speaker 1: We don't say Mary Christ's.
Speaker 10: Lasa.
Speaker 1: We love your meccan. Thank you so much for everything. You are the best. We love you. Will see you next year.
Speaker 10: Much love to you and your audience too, see you next year.
Speaker 2: So, as I mentioned before, Clive Robertson has died. And I hate that I just said that, because he's a figure that is very much alive in my heart and my mind as somebody.
Speaker 1: Who knew him.
Speaker 2: But two people who knew him much better than I is. None of them the Great Kel Richards and Jason Morrison, both sort of forever friends to the great man.
Speaker 1: And I'm pleased to.
Speaker 2: Say that Clive joins us now via the microphone from his legendary time at seven.
Speaker 13: That's the real one too, is what he used, and that's what a real business card that says C. A. Robertson, which is him, and the phone number on it. Even back then, if you'd call number, it would have been disconnected because he deliberately had printed the wrong number on it, so no one could ring him business.
Speaker 4: I could also reveal now he used his initials for his number plate. Clive Alexander robertson his number plates aid see a R.
Speaker 3: That's got to be the best number plate, and he car ever had correct correct.
Speaker 13: Well, thank you for that, because I'm driving out at the moment.
Speaker 1: So the Robinson group he's a follow me around Sydney. Sorry, all right, now he deserves an hour.
Speaker 2: I've sadly on I got a couple of minutes, and he'd be saying, we're being very boring talking about him right now. But Jason, some of the artifacts that he collected over the years that were not given to him by his employers.
Speaker 13: Well, Clive had a hobby of collecting memorabilia from radio and TV stations, and he worked at two TV station three if you count the ABC, and he has little bits and pieces from it.
Speaker 1: But the best one ever.
Speaker 13: Is this one. This used to belong Okay, so the story goes, he was at Channel seven eighty and seven in Sydney. He was doing news World late night show, hated it, wanted desperately to get back on eleven AM, the daytime show, because who wants to work at night? So eleven am he read straight, but late night he took the mickey out of the news in the hope that they would sack him, and of course it worked very, very well. So this sign was on the set of eleven am, and he wanted it more than he thought eleven am should have it, so he stole it and he put it behind like the set, and of course the network for weeks on end didn't have a Channel seven logo on the front of their debt, so Roger.
Speaker 1: Clemson, it's here, yeah, there it is, Come and get it.
Speaker 3: If you can find me in the phone book you can buy. And he was constantly undermining the late night news.
Speaker 4: We came back from one commercial break coming up to Christmas, and he had a big metal vice on the desk on the newsreaders. In it was a plastic sata clause we come back and he's winding an uptake. That's for Christmas nighteen fifty six, for.
Speaker 13: Remember all the night when there was not enough news to be worth doing the news, And he'd start the show with there's no point watching this but seeing you are. Have you ever changed the film in an instamatic camera? If you haven't, I'm going to show you how to do it. And that was the lead story or mister Squiggle.
Speaker 1: Good evening.
Speaker 13: Tonight is the thirtieth anniversary of Mister Squiggles WI on Australian TV and we have an exclusive video mister Squiggle on the ABC. He'd taken a crew out for the day to film it and Channel seven bosses are going what.
Speaker 1: Then, well, what is it?
Speaker 13: By the way, this is from Channel line.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, yeah of course as well tonight. Wow, that's cool. He kept it all, kept it all and I.
Speaker 13: Don't know how this ended up, but in the same way most of it, but just collected in a way.
Speaker 1: So if any of the packers are watching you and then kill you wrote you wrote a book.
Speaker 3: I did a book within him, a little book called Word of the Day.
Speaker 4: There's his picture which you won't be able to see clearly on the front and mine and he wouldn't write anything.
Speaker 3: So I dragged him into my study in my house. I read him a bit.
Speaker 4: He'd ad lib a line and I'd type it in and that I'd read a bit more, he'd add a little bit, and that's how we managed to do a book together. But his best bits were spontaneous on the late night news one night, the old TV alights were halogen and they sometimes exploded, and he's there reading and one exploded. So he suddenly became Maxwell Smart. Missed me by that much.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing that the ability. And when you go back and look, we can't do the service. Now go and do all the youtubes. Have a look at the rest. You'll see just how fast he is. Faster than Frankly, the.
Speaker 1: People that have hosted late night shows or FM bricks.
Speaker 13: No one's in his legs like there's no one in the I mean even Kennedy. He was up against Graham Kennedy and he beat Kennedy in Sydney, he beat him in Brisbane. The only place Kennedy one was in Melbourne.
Speaker 4: And then and he told me Kennedy had four writers. Clive had libbed the show he did.
Speaker 1: You know you were talking about.
Speaker 13: Great moments on TV. And the thing about it is that Robertson was a radio guy. He was a radio Television was an accident and he actually didn't like it. That much, but he loved the radio. So we're doing a lot of television here, but I've got to finish this story on television. He very devoted Christian man, not religious Christian. He loved the Bible, and it's a big for a lot of people who love him. They're a bit surprised when you tell them that.
Speaker 1: But he.
Speaker 13: Was a big believer. But he also thought gambling was evil. So one night at Channel nine he was asked to do the lotto numbers for a mega draw, like the five million dollar draw, the biggest one, and I think nine had stakes in lotto at the time. I love this story, so Robertson said, we're going to do a lot of numbers tonight. So here they are and the lotto jingles playing along and up on the screen in Roman numerals, tonight's winning lotto numbers.
Speaker 1: And he just had this image of all.
Speaker 3: These people going, what try to try to work it out really quickly.
Speaker 1: Lad again, as I said, not enough time.
Speaker 2: You were awesome friends to him and credible friends to him, and that was the honor in and of itself to be a friend of his. You felt like you were the center of the world because you actually were for him. There's not enough time. We'll find our own ways and we will stop being boring now, all right, thank you Jason, thank you, kel thank you. I'll see you again on Sunday night. We love yall and we'll see you Sunday night. For a rap of twenty twenty four here on Sconies