Speaker 1: Good evening well first tonight to the outrageous move by Chinese officials to bodyblock Australian journalist at chang Lei at a press conference on Australian soil. We're still waiting for the Prime Minister and the Foreign Minister to properly condemn this unacceptable act. Here in Australia, we fiercely protect our freedom of the press, unlike in China, where journalists are locked up or regularly disappear. The visiting Chinese premiere and his henchmen apparently don't respect our laws or our values, despite them claiming Australia is their new BFF, Panda diplomacy and all of that. Well, Journalist Chang Lai was imprisoned in Beijing for three years. She missed out on crucial time with her children. She'll never get back. It was deeply traumatic for her.
Speaker 2: Twelve hours a day of pure sitting and very little chance to get up and just walk, just pace around a very little room. They say that they gave me fifteen minutes of fresh air, but all it meant was there's a window up the top that the guard would open for fifteen minutes. But the curtains are still drawn, and you never saw anything except the blue curtains and the mottled carpet and the beij padded walls. Silence.
Speaker 3: And that was Cheen Lei.
Speaker 1: In October twenty twenty three, after her eventual release, she was working as a television host in China when she was wrongfully imprisoned.
Speaker 3: Now she's a journalist here.
Speaker 1: On Sky News, and today she attended the press briefing in Canbra with Anthony Albanesi and the Chinese premiere. She was aggressively body blocked by Chinese officials.
Speaker 4: Have a look signed.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can see that man handling there of the by the Chinese official of an Australian consteal, a diplomatic staff member. And you also saw there chang Ley taking a photograph of the officials. Now, clearly an Australian official asking the Chinese embassy staff to move is important, and yet they refused. That in itself is shocking. Chang Ley also tried to move seats. She swapped with another Australian journalist, but the Chinese officials followed and once.
Speaker 3: Again blocked her view.
Speaker 1: She spoke about what happened to her on Sky News earlier well it's.
Speaker 5: Typical right with these events, especially if they're attaching importance to the friendly facade that they're carefully staging, that voices of discord or you know, the presence of someone who's a bit controversial not harm that. And in fact, at the I guess the briefing by Prime Minister of Nazi and premierly Lee Chang, that's a freidancelant just now really highlighted that because they went to great lengths to block me from the cameras and to flank me. And I'm only guessing that is to prevent me from saying something or doing something that they think would be a.
Speaker 2: Bad look, but that itself was a bad look.
Speaker 3: This can't be glossed over.
Speaker 1: And it's emblematic of how China treats its journalists and its critics. I saw a firsthand when I was writing my book and investigating the origins of COVID, how whistleblowers who tried to raise the alarm about the new pandemic went missing, never to be seen again. Even doctors some bravely risked their life to give me information over encrypted platforms because the time topic was that important to them. But the shamelessness of these Chinese officials trying to flex their muscles, and the fact that they felt emboldened to act like that in front of our Prime minister, in front of the full press gallery and in front of the cameras well, that tells you everything about the nature of the current Chinese regime. This is a serious diplomatic incident. Australian officials were involved. They asked the Chinese officials to move, yet hours later the Prime Minister claimed he still knew nothing about it.
Speaker 6: There's some of the documentsal being signed in the committee room today. Some Chinese embassy officials tried to block my colleague here in Chanlai from view of cameras. Is it acceptable to import that kind of behavior into the heart of Australia's democracy here in parliaments.
Speaker 7: Well, I didn't see that.
Speaker 8: I saw.
Speaker 7: Chang Lai and we smiled at each other during Jerry during the event. Look, I'm not aware of those issues. It's important that people be allowed to participate fully and that's what should happen in this building or anywhere else in Australia.
Speaker 1: That is a very weak answer from the Prime Minister. Now, Shadow Trade Minister Simon Birmingham didn't quite believe that answer from the PM either, because.
Speaker 3: It is unbelievable that no one would have told him.
Speaker 1: About it, and Shadowhome Affairs Minister James Patterson also said that Albaneze's version of events lacked credibility.
Speaker 9: I would have thought, Tom, it would be surprising if the PM's advisors didn't say, by the way, Prime Minister, you might get asked a question about this, and I suspect he should have been prepared and even if he didn't quite see it taking place, should have known fully that it was happening.
Speaker 10: But it's not credible, Tom. It's been publicly reported earlier this year that the Minister employs eleven media advisors in his office, and among them are people who might be surprised to some of your audience, but watch Sky News. Standard operating procedure for a media advisor is to brief your principle on recent breaking events before they go out into a press conference. It is completely not credible the Primeister did not know when he walked into the press conference that this incident happened.
Speaker 1: And James Patterson's view is that this is now a pattern of behavior from Albanisi where he is repeatedly and comprehensively failed to call out Chinese aggression, including and especially when it involves our military who're putting their lives on the line to protect our country. And James Patterson will be on my show tonight to speak about this. But just for a moment, think about the courage it would have taken for Chang Lei to even be in that room in the first place, in the presence of Chinese officials who locked her up.
Speaker 3: For three years.
Speaker 1: She never knew if she was going to see her children again, or sunlight again. You can only imagine the emotional trauma of walking into that room, the courage to sit there, the memories It would inevitably dredge up, but she would know or trust that she's now in Australia, She's safe, no one can touch her. And yet henchmen for the PRC tried to exercise their own totalitarian values right here in Australia in Parliament House. And the question now is will Albanesi strongly condemn this?
Speaker 3: Will Penny Wong? How can Chinese.
Speaker 1: Officials feel so emboldened to act like this while they're visiting Australia. Perhaps it's because they believe they've already bought our silence. Albanesi will not call out China's foreign interference, it's espionage's deensive militious cyber attacks, or its human rights abuses in public.
Speaker 3: He will not ask how.
Speaker 1: The COVID pandemic started, despite many Australians still suffering from long COVID or vaccine injuries. He won't mention the Muslim wigas in labour camps in Shingxiang. You wonder if he only cares about the plight of Muslims when it's to do with Israel.
Speaker 3: We're seeing from.
Speaker 1: Labor this dysfunctional moral compass, where Albinezi feels a compulsion to condemn in the strongest possible terms our ally Israel, while staying silent on the greatest aggressive in our region, China. This is despite the fact Israel is a democracy defending its people from terrorists in a war that is as much about the existential threat of the Jewish homeland as it is about protecting the value that underpin our Western civilization, and China is part of the emerging axis of evil along with Russia, Iran and North Korea. But Albinizi appears to ignore the reality of these threats. They just don't suit him politically or ideologically. Now, also coming up on the show tonight, Peter Dutton is catching up to Albinizi in the polls.
Speaker 3: But can he win the next election? My political analysts will join me later in the program.
Speaker 1: Plus more downing allegations of sexual harassment at nine as one TV legend speaks out to say the behavior is entrenched at the network and calls for changes. Authorities ignore pro Palestinian protesters proud display of terrorist emblems. But now let's bring in tonight's panel. As always on a Monday, Sky News, host Listora and contributor Joe Hildebrand.
Speaker 3: Welcome to you both.
Speaker 11: Welcome, thank you lovely.
Speaker 1: Here Joe, let's start with you. I want to get your reaction to what we saw today with Cheng Ley.
Speaker 12: Look, I think Cheng Lai. I was talking about it on this network in this seat just last night. Cheng Lay is an incredible human being. I admire her resilience and strength enormously. I played, you know, I remember writing a column, you know, calling for her release, like so many others. I'm not pretending that idea anything particularly special, but I just remember that as I was writing and thinking, oh my god, we're just never going to see this poor woman again.
Speaker 11: She's not going to see her kids again. And you know, I hate bad news.
Speaker 12: I much prefer to deal with a rough and tumble of politics and horrible things like that. And yet she's here, she got back. Part of that, I think we have to acknowledge was due to the way Anthony Alberanzi was able to reset the relationship and he was able to have a word with Jijiping on the sidelines of the G twenty. Apparently this is how it came about, and so I think we sort of have to acknowledge that. Having said that, today, the biness of what happened today was clearly horrendous. I imagine it would have been. And you can just see from Chenley herself how incredibly you know, sensible, and you know she didn't she didn't ge hysterical about it, she didn't jump up and down. She was very clear, she was very analytical about what happened, which just makes me admire even more. But but that I think, you know, underlied the horror of what we were actually seeing, which is this kind of brute force totalitarian tactic in what is meant to be the heart of Australian democracy. I do think it's plausible to PM. I think the PM said he didn't see it. I'm not sure if he said he didn't know about it.
Speaker 3: But he said he said he wasn't aware of it.
Speaker 11: He wasn't aware.
Speaker 12: He said he didn't see it. But that might have been a bit of plausible deniability. It may well have been that. Absolutely as soon as Premier League gets on a plane and it's no longer in the country, I think it.
Speaker 11: But that that is the nature.
Speaker 1: There'll be in w A tomorrow, so we can expect that the Prime Minister will be I want to ask you about two things. One that vision that we saw where the Australian official goes up to the Chinese officials clearly says can you stop standing in front of Chang.
Speaker 3: Lay and following her wherever she sits.
Speaker 1: And the Chinese official man handles her, it touches her, you know, and it overrules her. I mean, they are visiting guests in Australia, but the fact that they feel so emboldened to be this aggressive to stand in front of Cheng Lai after locking her up wrongly for three years tells you so much about how they see the current relationship with Australia.
Speaker 3: We are subservient to them and they know it. They know that we know about the cyber attacks.
Speaker 13: On the daily that are targeting our energy, our water, our transport systems. They know that we know about all their moves in the South China, see them threatening Taiwan. They know that we answer to Washington and they're our closest ally. They talk about this at depths. I love reading their Global Times because it's straight well, our closest ally, and we follow them into every war that they choose to join.
Speaker 14: They they know where we stand, we know where they stand, and we're in this ridiculous pantomime where they know that we know that, they know that we know, and yet diplomacy has to happen.
Speaker 3: We are very much, still, very much reliant on China.
Speaker 13: They know that too, and so I actually don't find this all that shocking or at all. This is the Communist Chinese Party acting for all the world like the Chinese Communist Party. And what stood out most to me about this is we say, oh, how could they how dare they there on our soil?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 14: But who won.
Speaker 3: Who won that little altercation?
Speaker 13: Did we have you know, actual security guards escort them from the building and say, no, we are standing up for this woman in our press back.
Speaker 3: No we didn't.
Speaker 13: They won that altercation and China saw that, and all the eyes in China saw that, and so did every single Australian who actually thinks that this government, if they are misled enough to believe that this government can even stand up for Australians to China, even on that tiny, small scale, it would have sent a message.
Speaker 3: But we didn't send it, did we I.
Speaker 11: But just to clarify, everyone in Australia would have seen it.
Speaker 3: No, no, because there's no free press, which is appalling.
Speaker 13: Although it would be something that they would be happy to show because again they won. This is us pushing around China.
Speaker 11: You would never show like that.
Speaker 12: That would just show this is Australia welcoming with And you're absolutely right.
Speaker 11: It is a dance.
Speaker 12: It's often a dance in which you get your hands dirty, you know, if you're you know, you're always evaluating, you know, all right, do we make a big fuss about this? Do we make a fuss about it publicly? Do we do it privately. If we do that, what's China's likely response? Will we lose this free trade?
Speaker 3: Now that's the whole point, Joe.
Speaker 1: They condemn Israel every single day when Israel is doing very little, if anything wrong at all.
Speaker 3: China engaging in the most egregious act.
Speaker 1: Against Australia, against our national sovereignty, and our prime minister is silent even when it happens.
Speaker 12: If he's right with our biggest trading partner, the response would be very different.
Speaker 11: And that's just real politics. It's ugly, but it's sadly true.
Speaker 3: All right, let's move on.
Speaker 1: Jerry Seinfield is in Australia at the moment, in Sydney in fact, for his stand up show, and he was heckled by a pro Palestinian protester who tried to throw him off mid performance.
Speaker 3: If you haven't seen that yet, here it is.
Speaker 15: It's a show war.
Speaker 16: Here.
Speaker 1: And if you didn't love Jerry Seinfield already, we'll have a look at his epic response.
Speaker 2: We have a.
Speaker 3: Genius, lady, gentleman, He's sved the Middle East.
Speaker 2: It's the Jewish thing, is that too?
Speaker 11: One's doing everything.
Speaker 3: You're really influencing everyone here.
Speaker 9: You're all on your.
Speaker 10: Sign because you made your points so well and in the right venue, You've come into the.
Speaker 3: Right place or polute.
Speaker 17: Joe.
Speaker 3: That is comedy gold from Jerry. What a good way to handle that.
Speaker 12: I feel like Jerry Seinfeld has just put, you know, the tens of thousands of words of column inches that I've been writing for the last twenty five years into like one fifty one liner. He's amazing, He's great. And again, when the Left does this, they do themselves a terrible disservice. They look pathetic themselves. They make it so much easier for the right to say, well, you're all just a bunch of delusional numpties. They do absolutely nothing for the Palestinian people. I don't want to do anything for the Palestinian people because it's all about their moment of glory and their moment of martyrdom. So far as they would have thought about how is this actually going to improve things? If they actually got to a second step in thinking about it, which it's debatable whether or not they did, they still wouldn't have cared because it's about them, it's about them being heroic. Then they can tell their friends about what they did about it.
Speaker 1: Imagine spending four hundred dollars on a ticket to yell your pro Palestinians be kicked out immediately.
Speaker 12: Also, imagine what a low piece of scum you'd feel while you're just sitting there waiting, trying not to laugh at all.
Speaker 11: Those dirty Jewish jokes that he's telling, you know.
Speaker 12: Trying to sort of hoping that no one knows that you're secretly from extinction rebellion.
Speaker 11: You know, I hope he quiz guys, that's right? How much you have to hate yourself?
Speaker 3: What I love about this?
Speaker 1: I mean you just said a minute ago, you know that Chinese won there were no security escorting the officials who were standing in front of cheng Lei around from seat to seat.
Speaker 3: But here, well, the security did take out.
Speaker 1: Those pro Palestinians who were disrupting the show, and Jerry Seinford won't get out. It has better security and Jerry sign show than in Parliament.
Speaker 13: Jerry's got bigger gonads on him than our own prime minister, clearly, but Jerry's also used to this now, right, So something similar happened at a show in Virginia recently. We saw when he got up to give a speech at Duke University, which is where he hows from. The pro Palestinian protesters did this massive walkout, this big assembly, this was their statement, and he did similar then and just graciously thanked everyone who hadn't walked out. And this simply in the face of a single Jewish man who has.
Speaker 3: Absolutely nothing to do with what's going on with Israel right now, and the fact that he's got the guts and.
Speaker 13: To do so in such a satirical way to point out the idiocy of these people who now want to treat every Jewish person on the planet like they have a you know, a real say in what's going on, regardless of what people think exactly or how ill educated they are about the conflict that's happening over there right now. The idiocy of them to treat people like here in Australia Jewish people differently, as if they've got anything to do with it, as if they're on.
Speaker 3: The direct line to and make them look all for themselves. You know, I get this a lot.
Speaker 1: I will get on the phone, particularly with labor politicians, and they'll start, you know, having a go about what Benjamin Nettinya who's doing, and I'm like, hold on that's on the other side of the world. What worries me is how Jewish people are being treated here in Australia. You can have your views on Netanyaho, that's fine, but you can't have a different view on anti Semitism here in Australia.
Speaker 3: We all have to be against that.
Speaker 1: And just because someone is Jewish, that doesn't mean they deserve to be treated any differently.
Speaker 3: Before we go, Joe, I just want to ask you.
Speaker 1: About Kerry Anne Kenniley, the Nine television legend, has come out against her former employer. She told The Australian that recent allegations of inappropriate behavior by senior figures that the company had not surprised her.
Speaker 3: Here's what she had to say. She said, history has just repeated itself.
Speaker 1: I experienced the Nine culture professionally and personally over decades, and it has learned behavior it was entrenched by senior people before them.
Speaker 3: Joe, this is you know, it's been this has now been rolling for a few weeks.
Speaker 1: But this intervention by carry Anne Kennelly shows, if it's correct, which I assume it is, that it is a cultural problem at the network.
Speaker 12: What I found extraordinary about this and of course I know Cac well, I'll probably get a text message from her now any minute, but that you know, a lot of the behavior we've been hearing about at nine and the allegations as well, both known and unknown. You know, it has been happening in the third decade of the twenty first century. Just imagine what it was like when Kac was there. You're almost sort of.
Speaker 11: Shut her to think.
Speaker 12: And it also occurred to me Kak has been very unfairly sort of pilloried, like I suppose everyone in public life, but I thought it was particularly unkind. She was pillaried towards the sort of twilight of her career for some remarks she made on studio.
Speaker 1: It seems to be looking at vision and she's got pack now with Peter Costell, right, that's right.
Speaker 11: Goal and became and became this sort of public enemy.
Speaker 12: And I just wonder how many of those in the woke right on progressive sisterhood who attacked her will now actually show her some of the respect and appreciate what she has to say.
Speaker 1: All right, Choe Hitter brand listor I thank you both so much your time lives.
Speaker 3: We'll see it at ten o'clock tonight. Cheers.
Speaker 1: Now coming up, Well, we've been discussing about how Chinese officials body blocked the cameras from some but Daniel Andrews received a royal reception at Parliament during the state visit. Shadow Home Affairs Minister James Patterson will join me next, plus more in action from Victorian police who failed to reprimand protesters wearing terrorist symbols.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned, welcome back. Well.
Speaker 1: Given the way Anthony Alberizi is rolling out the red carpet for Chinese Premier League, it's easy to forget that China is the most aggressive threat to Australia in our region. It's the top perpetrator of militious cyber attacks, foreign espionage and electoral interference. In the Australian newspaper, Ben Packham reports today that under the Albanezy government.
Speaker 3: China has gone from wolf to panda.
Speaker 1: He says the soft deploymacy On show stands in contrast to the deep suspicion within the government, the national security establishment and the wider community about China and its long term threat to Australian interests. He needs to take care or he'll be viewed as a panda. Hugger at a time when Australians are alert and alarmed about the China challenge. Even senior Labour figure Bruce Hawker was concerned.
Speaker 15: Elopment in the room, still defense, Taiwan, a relationship with the United States, all these issues which are floating around at the military in defensuland they're not going to go away anywhere any soon.
Speaker 1: Those issues the elephant in the room, he says, and albanys he keeps trying to make this visit about pandas as in the zoo animal Seriously, he.
Speaker 7: Spoke about the Tasmanian devils as being cute animals. In Australia, they're probably not as cute as pandas. I repeat what I said in Shanghai when I was asked my government is pro pander. We like panda bears and so do I reckon Australians.
Speaker 1: The visit hasn't been all smooth sailing. We've seen protests erupt on Parliament lawn with reports of the CCP flag being burnt, and while Chang Lai was body blocked from a Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews received a royal reception on arrival at Parliament House. With officials even calling out to ask for his photograph. And it's no secret why during his time as Premier Daniel Andrews slug taxpayers more than half a million dollars for seven trips to China since twenty fifteen, and that included an eighty two thousand dollars bill for his six day secret trade mission to China just last year. Let's bring in now Shadow Home Affairs Minister James Patterson. James, thank you very much for your time this evening. Look, let's start with that outrageous body blocking of cheng Lai and Albanize's response to it today as well, where he said he wasn't aware of it.
Speaker 3: Do you think his response is good enough? And what do you think of the fact that Chinese.
Speaker 1: Officials felt emboldened to act like that in Australia at Parliament House.
Speaker 10: I don't believe the Prime Minister unless every one of his eleven media advisors are guilty of the most serious professional malpractice of allowing the Prime Minister to go and face a press gallery press pack including Chang Lay and didn't bother to tell him about the serious incident involving Chang Lay only an hour earlier in Parliament House upstairs. It's simply not a credible explanation. Frankly, I'm worried that the Chinese delegation will be laughing tonight because not only did they get away with it, but they didn't even cop the mildest rhetorical rebuke from the Prime Minister of Australia after they engaged in body blocking and intimidation of an Australian journalist, and one in no small point, had recently just spent several years in incarceration unjustly in China. This really is a very disappointing episode. The Prime Minister has one last opportunity to clear this up tomorrow. He should seek an explanation from the Premiere for the behavior of his delegation and an apology, and he should front up the press tomorrow and answer questions about it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I think no one would disagree when it comes to the importance of stabilizing the relationship, getting rid of all the tariffs that have been really hurting Australian businesses and expots. But when it comes to how this has happened, has it been because of our silence? Has it cost us standing up for our sovereignty. Do you believe that there are areas where the Albanesi government is now failing to speak out on just to appease Beijing.
Speaker 10: The tragedy of this shari is that the Chinese government is unwinding the economic coercion campaign they launched against Australia because it failed, and they were always going to unwind against Australia because it had done them great damage in the region and around the world. We didn't suffer the economic hit that they thought we would. We stood up behind our public policy settings, and other countries who are watching didn't take the message China hope they would, which is never take on China. They took the opposite message, never to be dependent on China. And so the change of government was just a plausible off ramp for the Chinese government and face saving way of unwinding these things. And actually it didn't require any concessions from Australia, but I think they have been concessions, and particularly that been rhetorical. This government has virtually ceased all public criticism of China's serious domestic human rights abuses, all public criticism of their maligned conduct in the South China Sea, and all public criticism of their foreign interference, espionage and cyber attacks on our country, which are occurring on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: Well, you say it's mostly rhetorical, but as you recall, one of the items on China's list of fourteen demands to Australia was that ASBI, a pro American think tank, be shut down. There is now a review into think tanks which covers ASBI, and there are concerns that it might be defunded or have its funding reduced.
Speaker 10: Sure, I can share your concerns and the concerns of others about this, and I made a submission to the Varghezy review. ASPA is Australia's most globally influential and respected think tank. It has had impact far outsize its funding and position in the scheme of things. It's been remarkably success and particularly the work done over the last decade on things like the abuse of wigas in Hinjang on Chinese military universities and the way they're taking advantage of our universities really has changed public policy, not just in this country but around the world. It will be a grave mistake for the Albanese government to give in to China's pressure and to wind back even one dollar of our spues funding and I'll be watching very closely.
Speaker 1: Look, if you were in government and you are shadow Home Affairs Minister, how do you think you would handle the China challenge? How would you handle standing up for our sovereignty while still having a relationship with our largest trading partner.
Speaker 10: We at a macro level, we will always stand up for Australia and we'll always put Australia and its national interests first. We will never compromise our national security in the pursuit of bilateral relations because we believe we view bilateral relations as a means to an end, not in an end in itself. It's about securing our national interest and in my own portfolio, will complete the agenda on foreign interference and espionage by bolstering the cyber vulnerabilities that we now face in that realm. This government has done nothing to combat the very serious foreign interference risk that cyber enabled through platforms like TikTok and we chat, and it's crying out for action because our elections could very easily be interfered with, and our public discourse right now is being interfered with and that's not good enough.
Speaker 3: You mentioned TikTok.
Speaker 1: That's yet another area where the US and the UK, our like minded allies, are taking action, but Albanezi doesn't want to know about. He doesn't want to even be asked questions by journalists at press conferences, as we saw on Thursday where he shut down a question.
Speaker 3: James Patterson, thank you very much for joining us this evening.
Speaker 1: Now, pro Palestinian activists are openly displaying symbols of terrorism of Hamas and Hezbla on the streets in Victoria as they rally against Israel, in photos obtained by Alexei Dimitriardi. At the Australian activists over the weeks have been seen wearing hamasa's distinctive emblem on their clothing. One of them is this well known protester, Mohammed Sharab, who stood just meters from police.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: He is a regular speaker at these rallies in Melbourne, CBD, and it's alleged that he's one of four people who kidnapped and violently assaulted a thirty one year old Melbourne man in February. That story we have been covering on this show. Now, these terrorist emblems that are being worn were outlawed in the Criminal Code in January, and yet nothing is being done to enforce criminal penalties. Police and government simply turning a blind eye. Let's bring in now the Executive Council of Australian Jury co CEO Alex Rifchin.
Speaker 3: Alex, good to see you again. What do you think about this inaction to actually enforce new laws by our authorities and how is it actually emboldening extremists.
Speaker 11: I think it's shameful show.
Speaker 18: I mean, we are a nation of laws and as you rightly pointed out, Hamas and Hezbelah were prescribed in full as terrorist organizations in this country. It is unlawful, it is contrary to our criminal provisions to show public support for these organizations. And there's a very good reason why we have these laws because by brandishing their slogans and their paraphernalia in public, it glamorizes them, it normalizes them, it encourages people to join these organizations and perhaps take up their violent extremist terrorist ideologies. So we need to see enforcement of laws and we've had for the past eight months. The laws, the legal tools there to prosecute people. It's simply a lack of political will to do so. And it's endangering our community, and it's endangering our society.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is absolutely part of the problem. When laws aren't inforced, it just encourages the behavior.
Speaker 3: No one gets the message that it's just not on. Now, I want to.
Speaker 1: Turn to how Iran has in recent weeks welcomed the university activists on campus globally or The Australian's columnist Chris Mitchell writes today that it's the media who continue to swallow Hermasa's lies. He says, and I'm quoting here much of the media, many university leaders, student protesters, and some of our politicians need to be held accountable for allowing themselves to be used in an Iranian sponsored propaganda war designed to entrench Islamic fundamentalism. Alex, what do you think about the ignorance of this group, from students to politicians to journalists.
Speaker 18: Well, I agree with those sentiments entirely. I mean, the media, particularly in this country or sections of it, have a great deal to answer for. From the very beginning of this war. They have quoted uncritically Humas propaganda as their statistics for casualties in Gaza. They have launded what is effectively a band of rapists and murderers and thugs into resistors. They call people who relentlessly docs and harass and intimidate Jewish Australians as peace activists. You have a situation where it's becoming more and more normal to describe Israel, which is only democracy in the least, as an apartheid state, to describe their just war against a terrorist organization as a genocide, and there has to be reckoning. We are seeing a situation where this information is being spread at levels that we've not seen before, and it's leading to a fracturing of our social cohesion, threats and intimidation of our community. And this really has to stop.
Speaker 3: I mean, we talk and you just refer to it.
Speaker 1: They you know this this moral confusion or how everything seems to be turned upside down at the moment when it comes to the moral compass, particularly among the left. Well a Nobel Prize winner hert and Marla, has written about this brilliantly, and she says that she's a polled that young people students in the West are so confused that they are no longer aware of their freedom that they have apparently lost the ability to distinguish between democracy and dictatorship. I mean, don't you think we are seeing that across the board now? And just last week when Israel bravely rescued the four hostages. You know, people couldn't come out like Penny One, couldn't come out and openly celebrate.
Speaker 3: That for the good news that it is.
Speaker 18: I think in some ways I would actually disagree with the quote that you read. I think the sentiment of it is entirely correct, but I think that people actually can tell the difference quite clearly between right and wrong, between a terrorist organization and a free state. What really disturbs me, what really concerns me for our society and for the future of this country, is the fact that it is so glaringly obvious what each side in the conflict stands for, what they represent, and yet a great number of people, particularly young people, are choosing the side of the evil. They are looking at the same image as show that you and I saw. They saw Noah Agamani, one of the rescued hostages, being dragged away from a dance party on the back of a motorcycle to a depraved captivity by a terrorist organization, and there are people among us who look at that same image and feel greater sympathy for the terrorist men than for the young woman being abducted in the most horrific circumstances imaginable. And it's that inability to actually sympathize with Israel merely because it is a Jewish homeland and represents Western values and democracy and freedom and liberalism, and the preference for a terrorist organization siding with the Ayatolas and increasingly with neo Nazis that have flooded to the Propostitian cause. Yeah, this really troubles me about the future of our society.
Speaker 3: I completely agree, Alex Rifchin. Thank you very much for your time.
Speaker 11: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Coming up the new polls that show alban Easy is on the nose with voters, but is it enough for Peter.
Speaker 3: Dutton to win the next election. I'll discuss this with my political panel after the break.
Speaker 1: Will Two new polls show that Australians are losing trust in the Albanesi government.
Speaker 3: Resolve Political Monitor shows that.
Speaker 1: Labour's primary has fallen to twenty eight percent, while the coalitions is sitting at thirty six.
Speaker 3: The Herald reports at Labour's.
Speaker 1: Primary is now at the lowest level since resolved polling began three years ago. It's also the first time Dutton has eclipsed Albanesi, only just in the poll as preferred PM and freshwater strategies. Research shows Albanzi has lost significant ground to Peter Dutton, just two percentage points ahead now as preferred PM, and for the first time receiving a lower approval rating than the opposition leader. Joining me now former Labor Minister Graham Richardson and Scott Morrison's former Press secretary Andrew Caswell.
Speaker 3: Rich So, Andrew, good to see you.
Speaker 1: Both now, Richo, a primary of twenty eight percent for labor, if you believe these figures, if they've got them right, twenty eight percent is brutal for labor. Should your mate Albo be worried by these poles?
Speaker 8: I think anybody he doesn't worry about a twenty eight percent pole has got to be kidding himself. It is a very poor result and it causes I think concern for every labor supporter in the country.
Speaker 1: I mean, the primary that labor got at the last election was thirty three percent already that was historic lows, but since then Albin Easy. I mean, he had a long honeymoon, but now the cost of living crisis, so many other scandals, the detainees who've been released and are causing havoc. I mean, all of this is now denting the view, the perception in voters' minds about the prime minister's competence. I mean, Andrew, do you think though, that Dutton is surging ahead in to win the election?
Speaker 11: Will Sharry? It's an awfully hard road ahead for the coalition.
Speaker 17: The numbers are astronomical, but they are on the right track and Peter Dutton is putting every foot forward to put himself in that position, and he's becoming a credible alternative to the prime ministership, or as you said before, he is the preferred prime minister at this point in time, which is remarkable. And it's remarkable considering that the Labor parties have spent the last two years saying that this bloke is unelectable, that he's unlikable, and they've convinced themselves of this narrative that no matter what happens in their own government or the scandals, the negativity, the stumbles that they have in the back of their minds, they're thinking, but at least we're not Peter Duarton. At least, you know, we're electable and he's not electable. And they've convinced themselves of this narrative. The Australian people are seeing another side to this because Peter Dutton is speaking sense to situations where people are being frustrated cost of living, energy prices, immigration, crime. He's speaking sense in all those areas and the Labor Party have vacated the field on these issues.
Speaker 1: I mean Labor Party thought Tony Abbott was unelectable. They thought Scott Morrison was unelectable. In twenty nineteen, they thought Darton was unelectable.
Speaker 3: Richo, what do you think?
Speaker 1: Do you think voters are starting to have a second look at Peter Darton and thinking, oh, maybe he is Prime ministerial material.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think there's some truth in that. I think Dutton's been doing very well. He's certainly picking the right issues to speak on and I think he's just you know, burrowing away underneath the government and I think undermining them. I think he's doing pretty well now.
Speaker 1: Leading economists are predicting that we're not going to have a rate cut until next year, and some economists like Warren Hogan say there could even be not just one, but two rate rises this year.
Speaker 12: Have a look, why are you so insistent the Reserve Bank should raise rates once or twice more.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's not that I'm insistent.
Speaker 19: I just think that's where we'll end up. I don't want to say a rate hike any more than the next person. But the inflation we've got in our economy is not going to go away on its own. The level of the cash rate of four point three five does not appear to be high enough to get it back down to target.
Speaker 1: I mean, Richo, the prospect of another rate rise, maybe even two, is brutal for families already really struggling.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, that's a political disaster if that happens, you know. I mean not every economist agrees. You never get economists degree in anything, but this is a pretty serious issue for labor and not something that they can dismiss. I mean, the more they see of Dunton, people like him, and I think labor expected the opposite to happen well, and so labor are going to have to be very careful over the coming months, because you know Dutton's he just keeps going Dutton, you can't stop it. And I think he's doing particularly well and I think he's doing much better than anyone in the Labor Party thought possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Andrew, I mean this is another reason why Labor will be unlikely to go to the polls this year if rates go up and if the cost of living crisis gets worse than it is now. And you know, I mean Labour says it stands for vulnerable Australians and families are doing it tough.
Speaker 17: They are doing it tough, shariot, and I think they've moved from frustration to anger now because there isn't being isn't enough being done to address that cost of living pressure. Now the government have set themselves up here in a very awkward manner, progressing to a potential.
Speaker 11: Election last year, sorry latter this year.
Speaker 17: They have made the gamble and the budget that in flo will track down lower and therefore there will be scope for the RBA to move on interest rates. That is no guarantee, And every day it has passed us a budget is looking like the other way, so the more likely now we're looking at a May election. It is an awful began to be considering December, when cost of living will only increase and there will be no prospect of a rate decrease.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you'd want to hope for the sake of families out there that labor has got the cost of living under control by early next year at the very latest. Now, just quick last topic before you go, Rich, I've been speaking on the show tonight about Australian journalist Chang Lai and the bullying tactics that Chinese officials showed towards her today. What do you think about alban Easy failing to properly condemn this today.
Speaker 8: I think he could have said more and I think he should have. This is a serious you and I think you know, China is the sort of great big bully in the in the area, and unfortunately, because they're a biggest trading partner, I think sometimes we're reluctant to stand up and go as hard as we should and in the case of in this case, we must go harder because I think this it's fundamental to what a democracy like Australia stands for.
Speaker 13: Mm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, said Andrew. I mean the government you worked for.
Speaker 1: You were Press secretary to Scott Morrison, where you went very hard on China. Some would say too hard. You know, what do you think about the current government's approach.
Speaker 17: Well, I'll give them a tick for the economic side of it, that there is a huge advantage for the normalization of this relationship. But let's not fool ourselves here. This is on the outside. This is a different China to the one that Morrison faced. There's not Yes, there's no longer that the the bullied boy pulpit. There's no longer the wolf warrior diplomacy that we're seeing. But we're still seeing belligerent acts from a belligerent from a belligerent communist government. We're seeing acts against our navy, we're seeing cyber warfare, and we're seeing what we saw today with Chang Lai. We're seeing a different China, but completely completely different to the one that we had to do with in our government.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, all right, rich O Andrew Carswell, thank you both very much. Now after the break, how Barack Obama stepped in to save a confused Joe Biden. Plus could author JD. Vance be Trump's running mate? The full details with Koshergata Next, Welcome back. Well, Donald Trump has revealed he's got a pretty good idea of who he choose as his running mate, and their speculation it could be Ohio Senator JD.
Speaker 3: Vance.
Speaker 1: You might remember that he rose to fame as the author of He'll Billy Elegy. Sky News contributor Koshagada joins me, now, Kosher, good to see you look inside to say that JD Vance could be the key to flipping working class Democrat voters in battleground states. Do you think JD would be a good choice or I mean there are other political strategists who say Trump should be choosing a woman.
Speaker 16: I think JD is a little bit of a double edged sword because he absolutely his appeal would be to that rust belt, those battleground states and the disaffected Democrat voters as well as Republican voters. I remember these estates are Trump won in twenty sixteen all by himself. So there is an argument to be me that he doesn't need somebody to shore up that because his constituency really naturally resonates with those folks. But then he lost them in twenty twenty, and so that's really what the selection is going to turn. On the flip side. When I say it's a double ed sword, is the JD Vance is a Senator from Ohio, just into his first term over there, and the senator right now in a fifty to fifty tie and effectively a Democrat majority with the tiebreaker vote from the Vice president. So many people are concerned that if he were to run, he would have to abdicate his Senate seat. And winning the Senate is almost as important as winning the White House for Republicans, if not more, And so that's going to be part of the calculus as well. I'm sure that the Trump team is considering.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Joe Biden was caught in a daze or he seemed to be in a daze at an LA fundraiser and it seemed that former President Barack Obama stepped in to save him.
Speaker 3: Let's have a look.
Speaker 1: I mean, he was just standing there, not moving. There's so many moments like this. It's kind of hard for voters to ignore.
Speaker 3: Isn't it.
Speaker 16: Undeniably impossible to ignore? I would say, you have this, you have just what happened at the G seven summit last week, where Georgia Maloney had to sort of, you know, bring him back to attention. And you keep seeing is and we'll probably see only more of them, you know, in the few short months ahead before November fifth. There's another point too in this, because there was a fundraiser that David Sachs, famous venture capitalist in Silicon Valley, held for Trump just a few days before this one, and I think he put out a tweet that said, at a Trump fundraiser, trump is a draw card, and at a Biden fundraiser, everybody else is the draw card. Because they had Obama there, and they had Julia Roberts and George Clooney and Jimmy Kimmel. And I think that's really the perfect encapsulation of I think the two campaigns writ large, where you really see that one the draw, whether you love him or hate him, is the candidate himself and Trump and over here, just moments like these show that it really feels like he's sort of propped up by the apparatus ante.
Speaker 1: This is all indeed, all right, Koshagada, that's all we've got time for. I'll see you tomorrow at eight. Here's poor Murray