Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to separate bathrooms. We would like to acknowledge the Gadigle people of the or nation, the traditional custodians of this land, and pay our respects to the elders, both past and present and on this final few days of twenty twenty four, I'm Ali Dando.
Speaker 2: Are you going to be someone else?
Speaker 1: Next year? It's all changes, mate?
Speaker 2: Do I know? Mate?
Speaker 1: You made it?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 1: You will not recognize me next year. Everything's happening.
Speaker 2: Are you going to tell me I color.
Speaker 1: Change, change of name, plastic surgery, it's all going on.
Speaker 2: Really, No, okay, I's going to say you're turning into a salamander.
Speaker 1: No, not this, not twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm cam Dado and it's what a year it's been.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's been a really big, big year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We wanted to talk today briefly about some of our some several good lessons that we learned for the year. Yeah, and because it has been an amazing year. Do you want to start? Oh? Okay, Well, first of all, was Christmas good? Is it everything you wanted it to?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? I did, Miss rev and Locke, I did, of course, but it was still really lovely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, are feeling relaxed?
Speaker 1: Yes, I am good. I am that space between Christmas and Year's Eve, that little it's a little patch, isn't it where I feel like everyone relaxes.
Speaker 2: You don't know what day it is, still leftovers yea, Yeah, all you know is that the Cricket's going to be on at some point nighttime day with.
Speaker 1: All the new toys the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I do love it. Hey, So what's one lesson that you learned?
Speaker 1: Okay, this was a big one for me, and I'm still I don't have this downpat though. It is to trust my intuition and that it's not my imagination. It's been my intuition all along, but I have not trusted And the more I trust my intuition, the more I know that it grows.
Speaker 2: All right? And is this is this? Is this a physical feeling as well as words that are like going across a movie screen your brain?
Speaker 1: Well that's still physical too, isn't it? If it was words in my brain, were you're.
Speaker 2: Seeing in my spose if it's like use the Instagram posts and someone's done a thing where the words are popping up as well.
Speaker 1: While don't see it like that, No, but it is. But yes, it's a it's a physical kind of all knowing experience of just going. And sometimes it's like, Okay, I'm getting this feeling. I'm just going to choose to do that then and just go. I'm getting this feeling. It can be like the simplest of things, you know, when you go take the extra plastic bag, Why would I need to take it? All right, I'm going to take it? And sure enough, right you filing out you needed the extra plastic bag. Like it's not life changing events. But just the more I act on that rather than dismiss it as why would I need an extra plastic bag? Just forget about it. The more I act on that, the more that voices is becoming clearer and trusting.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, isn't that cool? All right, here's one of mine. Stop telling the story of woe. Oh whoa, the old stories of let down and suffering. When I keep speaking about them, when I keep thinking about it, writing about it, I'm going to say the thing I learned this year's words are like spells, and in telling these old stories of woe, it keeps manifesting them correct. So take the wisdom, let the rest go that's what I've put here, Start telling, telling the story of the thriving me, that me being you know, having the what I want and accept and create the small challenges that I've got and it's too many, let's just let let let's just cut it at that. So uh, let the wisdom, take the wisdom and let the rest go.
Speaker 1: Great. I love it. I love it. I also learned that I am capable of more than I ever thought.
Speaker 2: Yes, you are.
Speaker 1: This has been a big year for me, Like this is starting co founding a business Aviana Aviana dot com dot au two eyes, two eyes, two eyes are going key vading yes, being in front of large crowds publicly speaking, I mean just that I have put myself in the most uncomfortable situations and it's been a huge year and a huge learning experience. And I'm still like so on the trajectory of learning because I'm just there's so much to learn about running a business that I had no clue about, which I don't judge myself for because I've never done it before. So yes, So that's I'm capable of more than I ever thought.
Speaker 2: And I've known that about you. And you can't tell someone that or you can. But it's like the accession.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've got ex You have to.
Speaker 2: Come to that, don't you. So you've done more if for someone who is has shied away from public speaking as much as you have, You've done more keynotes than I have. You're more experienced in that world than I am, and I think it's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Well, you're a lot more experienced in public speaking, though it's just a keynote. Is something a little different.
Speaker 2: That's standing up and speaking. You've done forty five minute keynotes. I've not done that. I've got up there in MCED and introduced it.
Speaker 1: It's coming for you, It's coming, it is.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to that in twenty twenty five. Yeah, good, Yeah, all right, here we go. Next one for me. Tiny little things repeated over time produces big change. Yep, persist, you never know what's around the corner. Please stay with it. Run through the finish line, Run past the finish line. I was thinking I wrote down. Remember Hugh Grant, he came out with four weddings in a funeral. People are saying, look at this guy's an overnight sensation. Twenty years he'd been working before he did that. Just little things. George Clooney, how many pilots did.
Speaker 1: George cleeen Man before he did a.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's those little things repeated over time produces big change, sometimes as boring as hell. But keep doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because it has to. I feel like it has to click eventually.
Speaker 2: And that's the determination. And it takes discipline to keep doing those little things. Does it does?
Speaker 1: Because it can be hard when you keep on doing it over and over without the result that you want. But that's right, keep going.
Speaker 2: Trust that it's just discipline and you'll get there and you'll become way more confident.
Speaker 1: Well. I also learned, based off of what I mentioned before about work and everything, that learning and new skill is really tough but really exciting, and that I love to learn and I always knew I love to learn, but just allowing it to be tough and exciting at the same time.
Speaker 2: Do you think that that keeps you I'm going to say use the word but younger, I can.
Speaker 1: My brain operating in a really good way. It's not just gone out to pasture.
Speaker 2: Thank goodness, where's your brain? It's happened the top padic, it's Fernando there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it keeps it keeps the neurons firing. Sometimes it doesn't fire as much as I would like it too, where I'm going, huh, I don't understand, But then you know that's okay too. It's like, explic just explain it again. And I'm not I'm not embarrassed to ask, could you just explain that because I'm not understanding that at all? And you know you say it that way. And I've never had anyone go, oh god, you're an idiot. People go, yeah, okay, I get it here, let me explain it this way. Then I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I've got I've got one more big lesson of twenty twenty four for me.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've got a lot of good ones, but the big one really is is to not dwell on. And that's the overthinking. I have mentioned it so and that's overthinking, and that's the that's the idea of when I start something out, I'm looking at what I want to achieve. I'm looking at the end game. I'm looking at the podium and the bag of gold, and it feels insurmountable. How am I going to get that? Like writing my book? How am I going to finish with a book. But as I've said, just take one step, take the action. It's the hardest thing to do sometimes is to take that first step. But you know, as I mentioned in Alarm, and tiny little steps, but each thing that we do, each action that we takee gets as closer. But put the idea of you know, like for me, I was saying this the other day when my mates, I want to be a single handicapper in golf, and it's like, oh my god, it's a bridge too far. It's so hard to get to. Well, forget about that. Know that that's what that's what I want to be. But just just keep chipping away. Pardon the pun, but keep chipping away. Right, good, that's my last one I have are Well, that's good. I just wanted three. I just wanted three.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, our producers said five. So I did the right thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just you just I know you and Xander gore this thing.
Speaker 1: I'm a good girl.
Speaker 2: You are a good girl. I know, I know. He said five. And I'm a bad boy. That's what he likes, is he or a goog? He likes you being a good girl who likes me.
Speaker 1: Being I haven't asked him that Okay, let me let me give you this one though, because this is let me give you this one.
Speaker 2: I'm sure this is a good one.
Speaker 1: Well they're all good, Well, they're all good, yop, No, just well this Actually there's two more I can give, well, there's three, but I can give you okay. So this one was that I pushed myself. It's interesting off the back of like all the learnings and all you study your business and data day and at the same time, my other learning was that I pushed myself too far in the last few months and I had a major meltdown and that I balance.
Speaker 2: Is what isn't that the phone call moment? The other the phone call.
Speaker 1: I was hysterical. I wasn't hysterial. You didn't sound I had already had my hysterical crying and then I called you.
Speaker 2: Did you had a hysterical crying?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I have not? Did you were you're in the car? Wow?
Speaker 1: It was really was I'm not going to say bad, but it was it was like, whoa, Alli, you've gone. You've gone. This is how you are. You didn't know how close to the edge you actually were, And so it's kind of good. It's like I've I went over the edge a bit and went, Okay, now you know where your edge is. You need to put yourself back and find your balance again. So because that's not a place that was really enjoyable to be and.
Speaker 2: In that moment, uncomfortable, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And it was just over a small thing, but like that it talked about like it could not have been the straw of the broke the camel's back anymore than what happened just in that one moment, which could have just been really simply dealt with.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what's the lesson?
Speaker 1: Balance? Balance? Don't let myself get to that place again where I'm And I knew it. I could feel it, I could feel the build up of it. I knew how tired I was and how many juggling acts was happening. But I kept going and kept going, and I didn't. I needed to just go hold up, stop you you've yeah, you're you're on the on the precipice.
Speaker 2: And I was Can I ask you a selfish question? Yeah, selfish question? Did I handle that phone call? Well?
Speaker 1: Yes you did? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah was helpful.
Speaker 1: Yep, it was very helpful. Scape you stayed really calm, you didn't ask too many questions about it. You just like, we'll deal with it. It's okay, I got it, it's fine. I was like, okay, So absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because probably was a time when I would have panicked and.
Speaker 1: Tried to fix it, or maybe even said, well, what do you want me to do? I can't, I can't help you.
Speaker 2: I did that once. That was awful.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh honey, I hang on, which time you're talking about. I'm talking about the time that Lula and I were lost Coakland at midnight. Yeah, yeah, in the most dangerous part of San Francisco. Yeah yeah, let's not dwell. Let's not dwell.
Speaker 2: Team that no one was hurt during the filming of that scene.
Speaker 1: Thank god. Yeah, it's in the story vault. And I think one thing that I'm going to include you in because I feel like we are learning this together, which has been a big one for twenty twenty four, is two of our children are fully grown adults, and that has need some adjusting from a parent's point of view. And I really feel now it's been a wonderful adjustment. You know, it's I'm still adjusting, but I actually really like the adjustment. I like relating to them as adults now, like, I find that it's really a whole new part of parenting. It's still parenting, but like that adjustment now that I'm through it on the other side. It was sticky for a bit where I was challenged by it. But now I'm on the other side of it, I'm like, I really.
Speaker 2: Like it and it's good and it has been an adjustment. Yeah. And I like the relationship that we have as a collective. I like my relationship with the kids, but I the relationship that we as parents have without two bigs in that way, and it's growing that way with birds too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She'll get there, yeah soon, she's still teen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Hey, is there any Is there anything that you do an action that you take to wind up the year that puts a button on the year setting up twenty the next the following year.
Speaker 1: No, and I don't like to do it, Okay, I never like that. Do you make make resolutions? Nope?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I have to.
Speaker 1: Sorry. I do have like a goal, like I have like a theme that I might have for twenty twenty five, but that's it.
Speaker 2: Okay. I don't have you decided on that yet. I have Oh yeah, And that's to become a chameleon.
Speaker 1: It's it's my strip of life begins tomorrow. Yeah, I'll put No, it's it's friendships. It's to concentrate on growing my friendship. That's it for twenty twenty five. I don't have nothing else. Okay, whatever else comes comes. But yeah, I don't make resolutions, and I know you do. You're big on that. You write your or your gratitude stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do one hundred and eight gratitude things to be grateful for at the end of every year. Yeah, I don't know. It's kind of a magic number and all the things that it helps me actually just sort of go back through the year and I think about people and experiences that I've had that I might have kind of just forgotten about, and it just comes back to mind. Write down a piece of paper, thanks so much, grateful for that, and onwards. Yeah, let's do a whole start with a whole clean slate. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I think it's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good. Yeah, alrighty, be safe whatever you're doing in the next couple of days through the new year, absolutely and set yourself up well. I wish for you and your family to set yourself up with the best situation to have the greatest amount of success and joy in the in the coming year. And thanks for being with us as well Separatethom.
Speaker 1: Happy Happy New Year. We are very excited about some guests that we already have lined up for the new year. So join us back in the bathroom.
Speaker 2: Take care why