Speaker 1: It's one of the things I fell in love with, Like it was just incredible quality in a human And he knows in our group of friends, like he will get a lot of calls when friends are having a bit of an issue because they know that he's just the biggest hearted person. He can see people's issues and will truly be there, like it's not just okay, shut up, I've got to get off the phone.
Speaker 2: Hello. When welcome to separate bathrooms.
Speaker 3: We would like to acknowledge the Gadigal people of the e Or nation, the traditional custodians of this land, and pay our respects to the elders, both past and present.
Speaker 2: My name's Cam Daddo.
Speaker 4: I'm Ali Daddo.
Speaker 2: Feeling good. Yeah, it's a busy time of year.
Speaker 3: Yes, we're into the last quarter four known with the wet sales, and.
Speaker 5: It's kind of time to start buying the Christmas presents and hiding them in the cupboard.
Speaker 4: Is it getting ahead of it? Yep, you know, I like to do that.
Speaker 5: If you started, I've been thinking about Okay it I like to get in early.
Speaker 3: Okay, will you be doing shopping on the line?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, Oh yeah, that's where the bargains are okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, speaking of bargains, we're getting two for the price of one.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 4: We all were, well know.
Speaker 2: We've had some singles lately.
Speaker 3: We have had some single Two of Australia's favorite celebs, Anthony Khalia and Tim Campbell, are going to be joining us in the bathroom for a chat.
Speaker 4: I am super excited for these two.
Speaker 5: Tim is one of Australia's most versatile and really much love entertainers.
Speaker 4: He's been a.
Speaker 5: Leading actor on roles on TV in prime time hosting roles to musical theater stage roles, and he's also a recording artist and a live.
Speaker 2: Perform Indeed, he does perform alive. He does weird concept.
Speaker 3: Anthony Khalia is an Aria Award winning powerhouse vocalist. He's undoubtedly one of Australia's finest entertainers.
Speaker 2: In a career that it's now spanning.
Speaker 3: For twenty years, eight albums, it's done, TV concert specials, countless concert tours, major event performances and TV show appearances.
Speaker 2: This year, honey, it's their tenth anniversary. That's tenth wedding anniversary and.
Speaker 4: True together longer than that, I think, ye, but yeah.
Speaker 3: But their tenth wedding anniversary, like we're about to do our thirty third. Yes, yes, the mast Yes, come on, brain, let's wake up. I'm speaking about myself right. So, in true showbiz form, they're celebrating with five sold out shows at Hamer Hall and the Sydney Opera House presenting the songs of Elton and George with legendary orchestral leader John Foreman and his orchestra. Hopefully they won't stop at five. Well, we'll see if we can talk them into more.
Speaker 5: Excited to learn more about these exceptional performers. Welcome Anthony and Tim into the bathroom.
Speaker 2: Anthony and Tim, Welcome to the bathroom.
Speaker 1: Men in here. It feels great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's good good reverb and being singers. You can both appreciate singing in a bathroom.
Speaker 4: That's so true. You do a lot of your singing in the bathroom.
Speaker 6: Oh, that's that's where it all happens. That's where all the ideas happen.
Speaker 1: And then some singing.
Speaker 5: I get a lot of ideas in the shower too. Actually, it's the running water thing, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It's either that it makes you pee, or it brings ideas on it.
Speaker 4: Or it gets you clean.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, it's interesting that this podcast is actually called separate Bathrooms, because that's our number one thing as a couple. Every time we check into a hotel, we either have to have separate bathrooms or at least two sinks, because I just refuse to share with Tim.
Speaker 3: How do you do a separate bathroom?
Speaker 6: Oh well, I make sure that Tim paying and we get a suite.
Speaker 1: Or maybe Anthony's batting his eyelids, you know game. Can we get knock groyed today?
Speaker 5: What is it for you, Anthony that you don't like sharing a bathroom? What is it do you think it's helpful for your relationship to not.
Speaker 6: I think we spend so much time together. So when I'm actually having me time in the bathroom and I'm getting ready, like I like to have a drink on the counter, I like to have music playing. I like to just not rush, whereas Tim comes in at the last minute, He's rushing. There's crap going everywhere, and I just have a different way of getting ready. And I'm a little sorry, babe, but I'm a little cleaner than you in the bathroom.
Speaker 1: Cool story, bro, Let me tell you the real truth.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, there's another side to this.
Speaker 1: Doctor Google has have his self diagnosis of OCD, and yeah, if you if I dare take up a quarter of the counter, then obviously I'm taking up too much. So yeah, there is a huge process and I'll do, oh, why don't you go first? And there's no chance in I'm going first in the bathroom to get ready. So yeah, there's a lot of ritual going on. Anthony's one of those people there says if you need to be there at ten o'clock, he's there at nine to twenty and if we're at nine twenty five, you panics, right, one of those.
Speaker 6: People, Well, that's late, that's not that's funny.
Speaker 2: So that because Ali read me the Riot Act yesterday.
Speaker 3: She said, we have to be at the studio at what we've grown at eleven. We have to be there, so we need to leave. I'm not going to be late. I'm like, we're not going to be late. She's like, yeah, but we're not.
Speaker 2: Going to be late because you're always late. I'm not am I late.
Speaker 6: You just just push it, You just.
Speaker 5: You push it and you and you run like sort of fun. It's not like hugely late, but it just causes me anxiety. I get it. Ali, Yeah, I'm just trying to like subvert the anxiety in my body.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I'm on Tim's team and you're on Anthony's team.
Speaker 4: Got it all right?
Speaker 1: For the whole podcast?
Speaker 3: Yeah, never show the teams meet.
Speaker 5: Speaking of meeting, how did the two of you first meet? What was sort of the first impression of each other?
Speaker 1: Okay, two very different answers there, it's a Look, it's a very gay story. We met on stage in a musical. So we were both cast in a production of Rent in Perth back in thirty four BC. It was a long time ago, and so yeah, I was kind of very nervous because I've been my first ever professional musical and I was cast having to sing opposite Anthony Collier, and I was an actor on Home and Away. I wasn't, you know, as much of a singer as he was, So that was a bit of nerves when we first met.
Speaker 6: Look, that wasn't actually the first time that we met. Apparently I don't remember this, but you give your version of the story.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, here we go. So we actually met, that's true, We actually met for the first first time. I was doing. In two thousand and seven, I did Dancing with the Stars and Anthony was doing it Takes two, which is the kind of the poor man singing version of Dancing with the Stars. Okay, the cast of it came on to set to do a promotional performance in one of our episodes, you know, on the jumping on the coattails. So it was a rehearsal because back then it was live TV. So I think they were rehearsing, and I think they did a run and we're walking down the corridor and I saw him and I just wanted to say I never met him before.
Speaker 6: It.
Speaker 1: Literally I wish you could see the visual. Literally, I'm walking along, he's walking along, probably with an entourage. Do you know what music industry people are like? So we're walking along the code or I said hello, I got the biggest bitch face you've ever seen, like that resting bitch face look, and did not say a word to me.
Speaker 6: Well, you didn't really make an impression, and you did it look like Chris ham'sworth, So I wasn't giving you any time.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it wasn't love at first sight. But okay, good on your mate. You're not sh.
Speaker 6: What about me.
Speaker 3: What about that seat with the goatee though, mate, you could do that, you could you could.
Speaker 2: Rock a go toe Anthony.
Speaker 6: No, I don't know about that.
Speaker 5: So so you meet on Rent and Anthony, did you remember that that crossing in the hallway where you gave him Paddington?
Speaker 6: Absolutely do not remember that encounter. I don't even remember him on Dancing with the Stars, let alone Home and Away.
Speaker 2: It was all about the Hemsworth was.
Speaker 4: Chris looked like na.
Speaker 6: Like you know on Home and Away he was, you know, he was with one little wog and then in real life you went to another little wog, just a dif French ender from Ada to Anthony. So after you two got together, was there anything that you discovered about each other that you didn't expect you go first?
Speaker 1: Well, I suppose, I mean we kind of loosely got to know each other on the show. No, we went together and it was kind of soon after I moved to Melbourne to do another show and we started. I don't know, it was. Look, I don't want to get all kind of Hallmark carding and mushy here, but.
Speaker 2: We do that. There is room.
Speaker 1: Q vioque the museum. Great. We Yeah, I mean we very soon kind of started dating and started seeing each other. And I think because we you know, we'd come out of relationships and we kind of you know, you learned good, good things and bad things and whatever else. I think we were kind of all cards on the table from the start in our relationships, saying, if we're going to do this, we want everything out there. We're going to be completely open on us talk about things because I guess having come out and I'd come out of a long term relationship, and Anthony had just come out of one as well, and so you know, I was I wasn't ready for this what's going on. So we were very open about about everything, and it kind of we worked to a point where we're going to take time. We said to ourselves, we should take time with this. I think it was probably less than six months we bought a house together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like when we wore that rent money, mortgage money.
Speaker 6: But when we started, when we started seeing each other, like I was actually going to look for a place for my own self, and I was with my mum actually and we're going to a few open houses, and my mum goes, just take it easy, take it easy, and I said, yeah, absolutely, I'm taking it really slow. I'm going to move in by myself. I can't wait. And then next minute we've signed a lease together. And then six months later we've broken that lease and we've bought a house together, and we had, you know, joint bank accounts, and it just it felt right. And I feel as though when it feels right, then you just have to go with it, and if it all falls to crap, then you deal with the consequences.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Do you remember specifically an actual moment where you went that he is the one.
Speaker 4: If you put that, Oh, yeah, I think it is. I think it is that moment.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: Weirdly enough. I mean, I'll speak to myself. I felt it up front. I kind of just knew instinctively this was absolutely right.
Speaker 6: You're around the human babe.
Speaker 1: Seventeen years down the track, I've still got it right. Eighteen years could be a bit funny, that might be yea, but yeah, correct. But although I will tell you a little story when I tried to solidify this fact, Oh, here we go. It was it was two thousand I remember this part two thousand and seven Christmas Eve, because Anthony was doing Carol's by candlelight, and I had done Carol's in Sydney that year, so I came down to watch and at the end of the show, and back in the day, they used to go back to one of the hotels in the bar and have a drink and then you kind of head up, you know. So I was staying with him in the hotel. I'd snuck off at about midnight or so and bought previously brought about one hundred and fifty two hundred tea like candles and set up the hotel room. So I'd set up all these lights around there and I made our initials and it was.
Speaker 6: Very lovely what he did. But this is the problem. He didn't know me as well back then. And after a gig, I like to have a drink or ten. And so if you're going to do something special after a gig, after I've been in the lobby bar of the hotel, like, you've just chosen your timing really badly. And so he's like texting and he's like calling, and I'm like, this is early on in the relationship, and I'm like, this guy is obsessive, Like I get it, but you're obsessive. And so he ended up coming downstairs and he grabbed me, and then we went back upstairs to the room and I walk in and I see this whole you know thing in front of me with all of these candles there and a beautiful bottle of champagne and like a beautiful massive Chacutere board, and I literally just looked at me and I'm like, what's going on? And then this is.
Speaker 1: My moment to say, you know, we've been seeing each other. I just want to make it officially go steady, as they say in the States. So I kind of this is my official that we're dating. And he just said, yeah, I've had a lot of drink. I need to go to bed, and I passed out.
Speaker 4: You put all the candles yourself.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I sat there myself. I had champagne, I had a securitary board.
Speaker 6: To He wanted some other meat that night, but he had to just settle with the CABANOSSI I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Anthony is from a place called whereby, from Campbelltown. So look, we know ore Vogan sides make bit of class hands.
Speaker 2: Wherebe is actually coming up.
Speaker 3: It's no longer the water treatment capital of the world, you know, it's it's a good spot now.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, and so it's Campbelltown. Campbelltown's a huge city now out there to see farms and now there's just houses and things everywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm lucky you didn't set the set the hotel room on fine, I thought.
Speaker 6: You, Yeah, there's so much fire in the room.
Speaker 4: And then there was fire alarms off.
Speaker 1: That was an issue because when I was lighting the candles, the curtains were blowing. How it turned the air on off. I kind of moved them around as well, So there was that point too. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's how it all started for us.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite things in the world to do is sing with someone, and I love I love the feeling I have when I'm singing with someone and we're harmonizing together. It's just a great for me. It's a great vibe, a great feeling. Do you remember the first time you guys sung together and what did that feel like for you?
Speaker 6: It was telethon in Perth because we hadn't even started the production of Rent just yet. We were still in rehearsals, but they wanted to do a promo performance and we literally just flew into perf. We've sort of just met each other, We've land our parts, and then next minute we're on stage together singing what You Own from the musical Rent And that was the first time that we actually sang together.
Speaker 2: So what did that feel like?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 1: It was? It was exhilarating, but also very nerve wracking because I think literally they made the decision about three minutes before going on air, like whether we were going to sing or not. We hadn't learned this. We kind of literally learned the song really quickly backstage in about five minutes and said shall we do it? Sure? So I guess I mean that adrenaline is pretty amazing. Yeah, So there was a there was a mixed bag of don't muck it up, You don't muck it up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's right, I never muck it up.
Speaker 1: You don't even remember the lyrics to your own songs?
Speaker 6: No, that's why I have or Q.
Speaker 2: No, do you really have order Q sometimes on stage?
Speaker 6: Yeah, especially as I'm getting older, I just I don't retain certain information in my head, and one of them is lyrics, even though I've been singing certain songs for like twenty years. But I heard that, you know, John Farnham has exactly the same problem. So I'm in good company.
Speaker 4: Well, lot of singers would be the same.
Speaker 3: I remember being it was a Los Angeles station, Grand Central station in LA and I was watching John Foggetty play and he had all the lyrics projected on a movie screen at the back of the auditorium.
Speaker 2: And I'm watching John Foggerty go, this is the best thing. He's run through the jungle and everything. Wow, how great is this?
Speaker 5: You get to sing along with him because yeah, and I'm looking, Oh, there's the words.
Speaker 2: I turned around away from away from the stage, and there he happened.
Speaker 3: That's the first time I've ever seen or known about auto Q for.
Speaker 2: For singers on stage. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Apparently Barbarus Drives used to have her whole script on stage even between as well. She's very personal. She's very personal.
Speaker 4: It might have.
Speaker 5: Helped you at the Christmas Carols when you when you forgot what was the root off the red Nose?
Speaker 2: No, Santa Claus is coming.
Speaker 4: He lost the words for Santa Claus is Coming to Town.
Speaker 1: It's an intricate song.
Speaker 5: It's a tough one, it's meaningful, just hit him in all the feels that he's hold it together.
Speaker 1: If he doesn't come to town, what do I sing that I don't.
Speaker 4: Know coming somewhere but I can't remember.
Speaker 2: And what if Santa Claus?
Speaker 3: What if Santa Claus is in a helicopter orbiting the actual place while you're singing and you can see the audience is looking up at the with the Westpac helicopter with Santa hanging out and I'm going there.
Speaker 2: You just see the Santa. Okay, that's great. That doesn't even matter what I sing right now.
Speaker 3: If your relationship had a theme song, guys, what would it be?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 6: Well, we did have a song at our wedding. Yeah that we both we both sort of connected with this song very soon in our relationship and we actually recorded. Did we record a vision or we know, we've just live duet, We've just done a live jowet of it, Alita Adams get here. So I don't know why. We just both loved that song. And then so when we did actually get married and we had to choose a song to play, we didn't even think twice that was that was the song?
Speaker 1: Well, we both we both discovered, especially when we're seeing each other. Initially we were pretty busy at the time, so we were, you know, wanting obviously early love to spend a lot of time together, but we were very busy, kind of career wise, traveling all over the place. So that and that song talked about you know, I don't care how I get there, just get there when I can kind of thing. So yes, it was quite prolific at the time for us, and yeah, we kind of loved it anyhow, I'm just the words, the words of the meeting. So yeah, we sang it at our wedding as well.
Speaker 2: That was noise.
Speaker 6: Did we sing it at the wedding?
Speaker 1: You don't remember that? At night.
Speaker 4: Karaoke? Are you into karaoke?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 6: Iach, I hate it in Australia.
Speaker 3: What I do, like, why why Australia is because you're well known.
Speaker 6: Well, I just like to have a bit of fun, especially when we go to la and I used to do this quite a bit, Like they used to be this bar up the road, and like they used to have like a drink tab on offer, you know if you won the competition for like three hundred bucks or something. And I'm just like okay. So we went with a few friends and I like to make up names. So I'm usually Adam and I'm a dolphin trainer from the Gold Coast, Tim Trevor, he works for his parents building company. And then another friend, she works in charity, and she like, I just make up all these stories and then we're all singers, and so we get up and kill yeah, and then I do this whole thing. I'm like, oh, I'm so embarrassed, blah blah. My go to is always Richard Marks right here waiting, and I literally add every single ad lib that I can. And then this is the thing that I realized very quickly when you rock up to a you know, very serious karaoke competition, is that they don't like you if you come across like you're a professional singer and you get deaf eys. And so I literally got disqualified from karaoke in La at a gay Bite because you.
Speaker 4: Were too good.
Speaker 2: They knew, they knew.
Speaker 7: I do.
Speaker 6: I do like the story all the time. I'm always like, you know, Adam, a dolphin trainer from the Gold Yeah, gosh.
Speaker 3: I got disqualified mud wrestling in Los Angeles because I was too good at wrestling.
Speaker 2: They free me out.
Speaker 4: That is an actual true story.
Speaker 1: Hilarious.
Speaker 6: I want you more about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah he was. He was also wrestling a woman in a bikini.
Speaker 6: Heaven.
Speaker 1: You're smash you and go to very different bars.
Speaker 7: In I know which bar I prefer to go to. The Mud they shut They shut the Mud, the Weekly Scort.
Speaker 2: The Razzle Dazzle, they shut it down.
Speaker 4: You guys probably shout, we probably did.
Speaker 5: Probably you mentioned or actually Tim mentioned your OCD before.
Speaker 4: But do you guys have any sort of.
Speaker 5: Quirky rituals that you do before you go on stage?
Speaker 4: You have something that you're like, like, this.
Speaker 6: Is why I definitely have ritual. It's not a great ritual, but I'm going to be completely honest, like I like to have five minutes to myself before I walk on a stage and have to perform, and I don't really like anyone talking to me, and I just like to have a nip of Scotch and a cigy. That's literally my warm up and my little moment before I walk on stage.
Speaker 1: If you read all the Great Singing Technique books, so it says that that's the perfect way to sing. Of course.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but that's my little ritual.
Speaker 1: What about you?
Speaker 6: Tim?
Speaker 2: Pre show?
Speaker 1: Oh look five minutes before the show. I'm probably not even dressed yet. Ye, completely opposite, I guess, because if you've rehearsal or you know what's going on to me, you just let it all go well by the time you're on stage. So I kind of try not to focus too much about heating on stage, so when I'm there, it's just alive and it happens naturally, even though of course you would have rehearsed and know what you're doing. But yeah, I'm probably just last minute, last minute getting ready, hanging out with the bands on a side stage before we behead on.
Speaker 6: But whereas I'm a control freak, I like order, I like things set up in my dressing room a certain way. Yeah, I'm very particular.
Speaker 1: And I like in separate dressing room.
Speaker 6: Yeah. When we're on tour podcasts, Yeah, correct, when we're on tour together, that's like, that's a must. If there's availabilities for extra dressing rooms, then Tim and I definitely have separate dressing rooms.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, I know we're actually we're actually about to perform at the Sydney Opera House and I found a dressing room down the corridor for you. Yeah, we're down the corridor from each other, so perfect, welcome.
Speaker 3: I love it, actually cool.
Speaker 2: So what's the whiskey you drink?
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it like a fireball?
Speaker 3: Like the KERNI gets, do I do love a good fireball, but for again I get so you know you got me onto fireball worn God love him.
Speaker 6: I went to his house back in the.
Speaker 1: Day and let me just pick up that name you just dropped.
Speaker 2: Shut up.
Speaker 6: No, I went to his house and he had the fireball being served, and I'm like, what is this? And I ended up being obsessed with it. But no, that's a little bit too cinnamon knee strong before you sing, I just you know, just you know, a basic Johnny Walker blacks.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: See you're you're a bit of You're more of an R and B crooner. I was introduced to Fireball from the Kernigans, Lee Kernigan and Fiona at a gig, at a country gig, and they they do a circle before they go on stage, like Janet Jackson little prayer circle, but they pray to they pray to the to the fireball whiskey guards, the country guards and say, buttons up, let's got a good show, and boy, you can sing after that stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, of course it's so good.
Speaker 6: Everyone's going to be listening to this running to you know, the store after this game. What's this fireball?
Speaker 4: You mentioned the Sydney Opera House. Tell us about that. What is this gig that you guys are doing together?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, we're about to head to the Sydney oper House and also Hamer Hall in Melbourne, which is quite an iconic venue in Melbourne as well. So we're about to do it's called the Songs of Elton and George, So basically ourselves and John Foreman yep maestra incredible John Foreman and his Australian Pops Orchestra are getting together and they're combining with our band and we're about to perform incredible kind of orchestral versions of Elton, John and George Michael classics, which we're literally in the middle right now. So I mean, people might listen to this after the show, but we're right in the middle of production and getting the songs together and the arrangements together, and it's sounding pretty magical. Have to say.
Speaker 6: Oh wait, so there's like, yeah, there's three shows at Hama Hall and then there's two shows at the Sydney Opera House, and so to be able to stand on those stages and be able to share it with over forty musicians on stage and celebrate the iconic of these two legends, it's definitely going to be for me a goosebump moment.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I love those two stages and it's always a privilege to be able to sing in front of an orchestra. So and to be able to do it without one of our mates, John Foreman, it's it's extra special.
Speaker 1: I was on the plane the other day coming home listening to some orchestrations, just doing some arrangements for the BVS and and I just texted and said, I've just I've just cried twice on this planet to theagements like they're just yeah, they're stunning and that. And that's a computerized version of the arrangement. So hearing them live is going to be another level again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, well, do either of you, I mean you both, I'm assuming play an instrument as well?
Speaker 2: Do you do you play piano, guitars, anything like that?
Speaker 6: To be honest, no, I don't, but Tim can sort of tinkle on the piano.
Speaker 1: Would be hit well, I'd learn music back in school, but that was the last time I played in the school band. So I started playing a tuba. And I still own my trombone from back at school. It's in storage gathering dust. I won't get it out through this. This shows yeah correct or so, and I guess, yeah, I can card bash on it on a piano. You've going to give you a chord chart. But normally it happens at about midnight because we have a piano at home, and it's normally happened at midnight with people around our place late at night. Doesn't happen when I'm sober. It's kind of weird.
Speaker 6: It's interesting though, because when I was doing Year twelve in Melbourne, it's called VCE, but I ended up topping the state with Melissa Higgins at the time, Missy Higgins, and I don't play an instrument because as a kid, I learned singing all by ear. But then in my VCE exam for music, I had to do like notation and listen to music and then write it all on paper. And I don't know how I did it, but I'm just like, how did I fluke that you're Italian?
Speaker 1: It's called cash under the counter.
Speaker 4: The mafia. Yes, that's fantastic. How did you guys decide who was singing what?
Speaker 5: Like I gathered you're sor you're seeing both songs all together, like together each song or one takes one or there's a little bit of both.
Speaker 1: There'll be definitely our duets in the show, and there's some solo moments, and of course we're talking a catalog of Elton John and George Michael. So as much as we initially had a six day concert together, we had to kind of break it down and throw them some songs out, and there's a fair few medleys to cover. But it kind of natural. I think we naturally it allocated itself quite naturally really because some of the songs we've both done over time in different concerts and things. But it kind of made sense. I mean, obviously, someone with Anthony's voicing incredible, you know, kind of soaring ballads. I'm not touching that. You're you're you're having the line king stuff on. So but and I've always been like I had a dog about fifteen twenty years ago called Reggie, So I've always done a massive Elton John fan and he had and I guess I've introduced and to a few kind of Elton John songs too, and.
Speaker 6: Yeah, ten years ago. I actually, you know, to be honest, I only did it because I wanted to be self indulgent. And I read this article in the lead up that it was thirty years of Careless Whisper since it been released, And as a as a male vocalist, I absolutely admire and still do the music of John George. What did I say, John Farnham? We started George Michael, George.
Speaker 3: I was thinking of John Foreman, John Fornham something now I think of Fordham, George Foreman.
Speaker 4: The guy who sells.
Speaker 6: They a little different.
Speaker 3: We're calling you too about George Foreman and Farnham.
Speaker 4: And George Michael.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so George Michae And it was thirty years. It was leading up to thirty years since the release of Careless Whisper, and I went, I just want to put on a concert to celebrate his music and be self indulgent. And it ended up turning into a full national tour, ended up releasing a TV span and so that it really resonated with me and obviously a lot of other people, and so to be able to revisit these songs again and a lot of his music, but now elevate it with a full orchestra and John Foreman. It's it's yeah, it's definitely taken a new beautiful life with these with these songs.
Speaker 1: Maybe there was one song that we kind of went, oh, are you going to do that? Am I going to do that? It was probably the George Michael and Rutha Franklin knew you were waiting like yeah, and I said, look, that's an eighties song and that's my era that that's a penny part of song for me. I remember playing the Pennies for twenty cents or the role Arena on a Saturday night.
Speaker 6: I have no idea what you're talking about right now, because you're much older than me.
Speaker 1: Back when I watched Rage and we recorded it on a VHS, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I remember the gramophone, my old man's.
Speaker 2: Cap.
Speaker 3: Hey did you guys, either of you guys, ever meet these these two in your travels?
Speaker 6: I wish I met George Michael, but Tim actually called me. You didn't meet him? But remember when you were in La but then I had to fly back. Oh yeah, so yeah, do you want to hello? I never met, but it was actually a really great experience.
Speaker 1: I mean, like I was front row at Elton John's probably, but no, I was. We were living in LA for a little bit at a time, and Anthon was back in Australia, and because I know a lot of his albums quite well, and especially his Live from Madison Square Garden album, and I just was could hear this music, thinking, God, someone's playing that album really loud, And then I went, hang on, that's not the Leacky normally sings in that song. There's something weird going on, Like it was just just wasn't the album I was used to hearing. So long story shot a step onto the balcony, I hear this live concert happening up the road, and I think he just released an album or something. So I walk up the street in West Hollywood as you do outside of I think it was Tower Records in the car park there. Suddenly I hit this Elton John concert happening in a car park, but he just performed and then Don't let the Sun go down on midstarts and Lady Gaga walks out and doesn't duet within on the streets of just this random kind of car park in West Hollywood. I loved it. I was in heaven.
Speaker 2: Isn't La amazing for that kind of thing? Yeah, it just happens there.
Speaker 3: Things like that can happen on a regular occurrence, you know, especially around that area in West Hollywood.
Speaker 1: And I remember the first time going to LA, think I'm going to see so many stars in LA and I saw Larry Emda.
Speaker 3: Yeah, are you really only going to stop at five shows? I mean it sounds like something that could be like perpetual.
Speaker 1: Well, look, we would love to continue on. I mean, you know, especially touring an orchestra as well. Look, look, I will say that last year, for the first time ever, we did a tour together because we had I'd sung it at the Old Song at Anthony's concert. We hadn't really toured ever together. So we initially start opened with twelve concerts seeing this is How This Goes was caught up close and unpredictable, so it was kind of loosely biographical the show, but it was a bit It was a lot of fun. We started off with twelve shows. We ended up selling twenty seven shows in this tour and we're still together. So I don't know, like there's there's kind of thought dogs going right now. Saying what else can we do with this? So I don't know.
Speaker 6: Yes, we most likely we'll be doing watch this space Dot.
Speaker 5: Do you sort of get I mean, how do you handle the pressure and stay grounded, especially in the entertainment industry just doing it together and you know, having such a great relationship really help you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: We also just don't have a lot of friends that work in the industry with Yeah, and I feel as though it's really important, and you know, sometimes it's really hard to do, especially when we're working on shows together or we're working on something together, that it's hard to switch off at home, and sometimes you do have to make a very conscious effort to go we are not talking about work tonight, We are not talking about that tonight. Let's just go out and just talk about something else. Otherwise it just consumes your whole self, and I just don't think that that's healthy your own self or your relationship.
Speaker 1: So and also, again, we've gotten to a point in our careers where we produce a lot of stuff ourselves as well. So it's not just about rocking up and learn the songs and get on stage like these orchestral shows, we're literally producing them like I'm dealing with the opera house, with contracts and with production and all this kind of stuff as well. So it is a bit harder to kind of to shut down as well, because we do have a bit of behind the scenes stuff. I mean, I think ten percent of it is singing on stage, ninety percent of it in front of all the other stuff. So but but I think we found even from the start, I think we found a good balance in that as well. And I guess one thing for us which I found with other couples who are in entertainment and just I'm sure this crosses many industries too, but is that that we're never being jealous of each other. I think jealousy was a big thing that that can create a few kind of you know, barriers between couples, and especially with us, because do we crossover genres Like I came for more of a back acting background and Anthony singing, and we certainly crossed over. I mean I definitely have as well, but there's been no Yeah, we kind of look, you know, you keep seeing for the rest of your life.
Speaker 2: I'll retire.
Speaker 6: No, See, this is the thing. I'm very happy to retire. You're both retiring, Yeah, I'm just like you, just keep working and I'm more than happy to go and play tennis and whatever.
Speaker 5: Is there something that you both still really want to accomplish? Is there a big, big goal that both of you want to achieve.
Speaker 6: It's funny, I think as you get older, you know, I think very differently to what I was in my twenties and thirties, and I feel as though something does click when you turn forty or you're about to turn forty. That those two twenty five Yeah, it's caught a lot of botox and filler, But I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: Can you not say that, Oh you're.
Speaker 2: Not doing bad either, mate?
Speaker 1: No about you, guys, I had to put up with ego for another week.
Speaker 6: No, I think you're just your priority has changed. And you know, for me, you know, I say that it would be great to retire and so forth. But the fact that you know, twenty years down the track since idle, I still get to wake up every day and call what I do a job. It's a very privileged position to be in. So, you know, to be able to still do that and still call myself a singer and actually, you know call that my work. It's I just hope that I can do that for the next twenty years.
Speaker 1: And we have a huge amount of support online too, which which really is you don't take for granted at all, because that's that's a lot of your outlet these days, to be able to connect with an audience and they come along and they come to these shows and they get involved live as well, because live is what it's about with us. I mean, social media is great, but live is where it's at.
Speaker 6: That's my number one love. Like I've always said, you know, you can do TV and you can do radio, when you can do all these other things, but as soon as you step on that stage with an audience that wants to be there and you're connecting through music, it is the best feeling that I've ever experienced. And I still get goosebumps every time I walk out on stage, no matter what the giar is.
Speaker 1: Well, you're connecting through music and dad jokes. Let's be honest, shut.
Speaker 2: Up, listen to you. Dad jokes is good.
Speaker 6: No, no, he has dad jokes all the time. I basically only understand about ten percent of his jokes. I literally have that confused look on my face constantly every time he opens his mouth. That's our relationship.
Speaker 1: I remember lyric take and to get my jokes.
Speaker 3: Come on, what's something you've learned from each other that's had a positive impact on your life.
Speaker 6: That I need to have a lot more patience in life because I'm very Italian. I have a thought, this is what I want to do, this is what I want to do now, and it's very hard to change my mind. I'm overly passionate at times, but I have had to learn that, you know, I can't always have my way and I have to be a bit more patient. And Tim's very good at when I say, people management, he's very good at managing me.
Speaker 4: Full time job.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: I feel seen.
Speaker 2: Very important.
Speaker 1: It's kind of opposite, well not the opposite, but I you know, I'm a very I'm very much a Liberan and Librein's like to be people pleasers, and I had learned how to kind of look after myself a bit more. I think when I met anthe in a good way, like not to kind of get horrible and arrogant. But I'm not saying you are, but I'm just saying, like I mean, just just to kind of to Yeah, I guess I guess you look after myself a bit more in that way. But also I learned a lot. I mean, and has this kind of exterior about the being the tough Italian, but those who really know him, no, he's just the most loving and thoughtful person and will put himself last to everybody else. And I learned and incredible, It's one of the things I fell in love with, Like it was just incredible quality in a human self that he and he knows in our group of friends, like he will get a lot of calls when friends are having a bit of an issue because they know that he's just the biggest, harder person. He can see people's issues, he can relate, he can offer the most incredible advice and will truly be there, Like it's not just okay, shut up, I've got to get off the phone. It's yeah, it's an incredible quality that I certain.
Speaker 4: So beautiful.
Speaker 1: He's still a bastard. But that's.
Speaker 2: What's called balance.
Speaker 5: Is there is there anything in your relationship that's been hugely challenging that you've that you've overcome and that sort of made the relationship stronger.
Speaker 6: Hugely challenging, maybe a.
Speaker 5: Hugely challenging or has there been a challenge that you've had to sort of work together?
Speaker 6: And any with any relationship, you know, communication is key. And I said to well, we both had this conversation, and I feel as though that was probably part of the reason, you know, a reason in our past relationships that maybe they didn't work because the communication wasn't as clear or as transparent. And I feel as though we were definitely on the same page when we first started seeing each other. We basically said to each other, it's like, you know, we just need clear, open communication between each other. Nothing is ever too hard to say. Don't ever be frightened about saying something. If that's what you feel, then say it. And I feel as though that that's been the key for the past seventeen years in terms of overcoming any issues or any hurdles that you know come to the surface. And that's the thing with a relationship, like you know, on the facade, people might go, oh, you look so happy and it's always amazing and blahlah blah. But you know, let's be truthful. Every relationship has its hurdles and ups and downs. But I feel as tho, if you can just step back and try and speak calmly about situations, then you can you can get through those issues. And I say the word calmly for my own self.
Speaker 2: Fire Ball.
Speaker 3: Has the definition of love changed for you guys after all these years together?
Speaker 1: Yes, how so, because there's I find it's like everything in life, there's not the fear of the unknown, but there's just there's expectation of the unknown. And then when you live it, you then through lived experience, you get to kind of change the definition for yourself and maybe for other people, but definitely for yourself. So what your expectation of love is, I don't think you'll ever find it is what I'd kind of believe all for me anyhow, not that I ever went out searching for love. It kind of it came to me naturally. So so it's such a I mean, it's for a four letter word, it has so much different meaning, in so much different depth and interpretation to it. And you know, whether it's whether it's even arguing and having or having some disagreement and resolving that that probably lovers helped resolve that even so, and that's so raw that that's a part of love as well. It's not all the good rosy bits and the stuff happens. Never do anything on Februar fourteen, but anything around that date, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But.
Speaker 6: So for me, we hate we are so antiloped.
Speaker 5: A lot of couples are though, I've noticed that, like a lot of couples.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, I can't bear it, like it's just.
Speaker 6: A being ripped off. I'm not going to pay triple the price for flowers like I'm a wog man, Like, don't rip me off.
Speaker 1: I'm going to test our relationship and bring home a bunch of servo roses on February fourteen.
Speaker 6: It goes down.
Speaker 3: It's it's also my least favorite flower wrote just remember the tea lights as well, mate, and lots of them.
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 2: What about you? And a definition of love change for you over the years aps.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I feel as though I sort of agree with Tim. But for me, you know, after seventeen years, I don't think about it as a separate feeling or as a separate thing. It's basically embedded in our relationship, that four letter word, and it has very as Tim said, it has different meanings, and it pops up when you need it and not in the mushy way all the time. And I do love that. And for me also, you know, in regards to feeling that love from Tim on a daily basis, I've never felt more protected and secure in my whole entire life. And I feel as though that that's definitely for me a aspect of feeling loved and being loved.
Speaker 1: And we've also said to each other that if ever there's any doubt in the relationship or there's any kind of issues, because we are I mean, we're very open with each other, like we just resolve any kind of problem, I mean, and as much we also try to keep our own individuality and identity as well. But we've always said, and we said this, like God over ten years ago, like even early in the relationship, if anything ever was a problem, let's talk about it. And if ever we had to kind of say this is it, we need to let it go. It's even that would be said out of love as well. It's kind of I love you enough to kind of say we're done. I mean, even I mean to a point of speaking of la I got a tattoo on my arm. Probably this would have been maybe red flags here about four or five years into our relationship, but I knew at that point and I just knew from the start, and I knew at that point if we were to break up tomorrow and I had this tattoo, I will still love the time that we had together enough to want to keep this on me.
Speaker 2: No, you just.
Speaker 6: Said, if we break up, then you can just go from AC and add Tor and just go actor.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but like only in the last was it last year and a half year? I actually got a tattoo of Tim's name.
Speaker 1: Fifteen years give me another fifteen years together?
Speaker 6: No, but I actually got Tim's name on my ring finger, So when I'm not wearing my ring, his name is on my finger. However, are no, but this is the thing.
Speaker 4: Did they spell it wrong?
Speaker 6: No, they just it didn't take because apparently you don't have enough fat or meat on your fingers. So I have to go back because basically the tattoo's faded. So I don't know what that says about a relationship.
Speaker 1: On his butt, he's got Chris Hemsworth.
Speaker 3: All right, Well let's let's jump in the shower and well we can wash that off your butt in the shower. We do a two minute showers, which means we keep the answers short, but we both want you to answer the question. Okay, first question, tough one. Who's best dressed me?
Speaker 1: Anthony Downy? What label I where it's something that's got a red mark through it's on sale? He likes the real labels.
Speaker 5: Look Max, Is there a favorite moment that you would like to relive again that you've been together?
Speaker 4: So one time you'd like to relive.
Speaker 6: I feel as though, you know, in the early days, there's you know, all this beautiful feeling in a relationship and the uncertainty and like where's this going? And there's excitement there. So maybe like our first ever trip that we did overseas, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought that too. We actually we went to Thailand to think it was. Yeah, it did a little little.
Speaker 6: Pooket trip, Yeah, and it was it was great. You know, getting to know someone. Yeah, like when you're away with them is very different to being at home with them.
Speaker 2: Okay, what habit does your partner have that you find adorable?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: I think about to say like annoying, because there's so many.
Speaker 4: I know that's the tourist, isn't it.
Speaker 1: You go first, I need to think, you know, I love his O C. D. I love that he really just loves to clean up. I love that. I feel like I'm living in a display home and I can't live in my home properly. I love that if yeah, one little chrime goes on the on the floor, then we might have put the house in the market because the drama is huge.
Speaker 6: I love that high adore when he fills the car up with petrol because.
Speaker 2: Doing that.
Speaker 6: No, Oh my god, you're easy. That's what they say. We've heard that.
Speaker 1: God, God, I've got seventy good attributes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Tim, you Tim, you are the maness.
Speaker 6: Can I be honest. The one thing that I absolutely do adore is that most mornings if he gets up first. I love the fact and it just I don't know, it just sets a good tone first thing in the morning that he makes me a cup of coffee and brings it and puts it on the bedside table and says good morning, gives me a kiss.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think that's a nice tone to start for the day.
Speaker 5: Nice.
Speaker 4: That is a that is beautiful.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 5: Last question, can you describe your partner in one word?
Speaker 6: One word? I would say everything. Oh, everything sort of sums Tim up. Mm, don't say tanned, don't say don't say little.
Speaker 1: I think I'm just gonna I'm going to say heart.
Speaker 3: Oh it's gorgeous, guys.
Speaker 6: It's so harrmarking, isn't it.
Speaker 1: We get to do that here.
Speaker 3: We we cover all a lot of a lot of shit happens in the bathroom, so you know, we literally spectrum, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's beautiful. Thank you so much for your time, you two. It was so lovely chatting with you.
Speaker 1: Thank you. It's beautiful. Finally we get to shower together.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like that was like couples therapy there.
Speaker 3: It s toook us for the show to hope hopefully that we get to see more, you know, in different states as well, traveling entire country.
Speaker 2: Fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we definitely want to get into the regions a bit more too, like take the band. Yeah absolutely, but thank you, thank you, you well done guys.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 4: My face is all from smiling.
Speaker 2: About charisma.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, so joyful.
Speaker 3: Those two guys, their relationship so much fun. And it's like they don't take things personally.
Speaker 4: Or not too seriously in a good way. In a good way.
Speaker 5: I think they give they give the seriousness to where it's due and then the rest is like a lot of play. I think that's that's a huge thing for keeping couples together, is that play and that joshing around with each other and delightful.
Speaker 2: Great stuff.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll tune in next time for separate bathrooms.
Speaker 2: Such a pleasure doing this with you.
Speaker 4: I think it is great listening to everyone.