Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Monday, March to twenty twenty six, forty days of morning for Ayatollah Ali Kamene, the Muslim cleric who rose to become one of the most influential figures in the world, now assassinated in a joint American Israeli assault on Iram. Now, is Iran promises revenge and Donald Trump calls on Iranians to rise up. What do Iran's terror proxies, Hesbala the Hoofis and her mass do next. The Australian is covering this story in immense and gripping detail with our network of correspondence around the world and top analysts and newsbreakers here in Australia. Now's a great time to join us at the Australian dot Com to make sure you don't miss a thing. As missiles and drones rain on the Middle East, disrupting the entire globes trade and travel networks, O correspondent Joanni Bishan joins me from Israel to explore how the world has changed.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump says Iran supreme leader is dead, as fears grow for all out war in the Middle East.
Speaker 3: And Iran has responded with fire across the wider Middle East.
Speaker 1: Israel and the US will hope the regime will come unstuck. Yani, it's been a long day and night in Israel. You've been in and out of bomb shelters in the center of the country since the sirens started on Saturday morning. Tell me how are Israeli's dealing with their new reality.
Speaker 2: Well, I think there's a weary defiance to this conflict, as there has been with the previous conflicts. And to be quite honest, I think Israelis are losing count of how many times, first of all, they've had to run to the shelters, or how many times they've had to lace up and go into Gaza or the front, or take care of other matters like stocking up their shelters and taking their kids out of school or canceling their holidays. So there's a weary defiance. There's a weary sense of resignation to this. But as usual, there's that typical Israeli resilience that's to play. People are trying to edge life forward in any way they can, Like, for example, I was in Tel Aviva yesterday and I met a young woman who was telling me that between running from her apartment to the public shelter which's down the street, she was losing a lot of time, but she still found time to cook food for the rest of the week and do some laundry. And although they sound like kind of the unremarkable markers of everyday life, these are the kind of things that are keeping people here going. You just kind of have to edge forward and keep things moving. And I guess aside from that, Israeli is a match fit because of all that practice they've had dealing with wartime psychology and pulling themselves together and dealing with disruption and interruption to their lives. So pushing ahead, but certainly getting tired of it.
Speaker 1: You've been trying to drive around for some of that time. What happens if you're on the road when the sirens go off.
Speaker 2: It's terribly frustrating to try and drive around in Israel at the moment, because the moment you get inside your car, you're liable to hear a siren going off. And when a siren goes off and you're not near a safe room, the best advice is to ditch the car or the motorbicle, whatever vehicle you're using, and to run to the nearest form of shelter. And if there is no form of shelter, you should just get down on the ground and put your hands over your head and try and get away from any cars, because they, of course can become trapne if a missile lands nearby. But what it means in practice at the moment is incoming missiles every five to ten minutes. If you are trying to drive one hundred meters down the street, you are probably going to stop and have to run for shelter. Very often. It is very difficult to cover at any distances here in Israel in a car. And I think that's part of the terror psychology that the Iranian regime is deploying it moment. It's not to launch hundreds of missiles in a single bat it's to drip feed them over a very long period of time, to keep people awake at night, to disrupt the economy, to stop people from traveling and moving around, and to interrupt life in any way possible.
Speaker 1: On Sunday afternoon Australian time, Iran confirmed something it clearly didn't want to confirm, that Iola Kameni is dead. Haimone's daughter, grandchild and two other family members were also killed in the strikes. How significant is his removal as an individual Yowni in terms of Israel and the region's biggest story, bigger history.
Speaker 2: I don't think it gets much bigger than the assassination of the Iptola, and it provides certainly a level of symmetry to the war that started on October seven by Iraq's proxy Kamas. I mean, we have to remember that it was Kamas that launched the war on October seven, twenty twenty three, and two and a half years later, it's the Ayatola and the entire Iranian military leadership and political leadership that is paying the price for it. And the story, of course, is that Israel kills him. He didn't die of all day, She didn't gracefully step down and fade into retirement. He was eliminated, just as terrorist leaders everywhere have been for orchestrating attacks on the Jewish State and America. And that's the story that Israelians are going to be telling themselves out of this, as they do with the story of the demise of Yehia Sinoa and Ismailhania and Hassan Masrala of Heswellah. This was an account in the case of the Iontola that very much needed to be settled, the ultimate account, you might say, and it's arrived. It's a remarkable situation. And the fact that the Iranians wouldn't admit that he was dead for many hours after the strikes occurred tells you that they were in all likely could bind time to put in place contingencies against a popular uprising the kind of President Don Trump has been calling for.
Speaker 3: Finally, to the great proud people of Iran, I say tonight that the hour of your freedom is at hand. When we are finished take over your government, it will be yours to take.
Speaker 2: And we'll see now if that transpires. If it doesn't happen now, who knows when it will happen.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Hesbela. Israelis have been bracing for renewed assaults by Hesbella, and Iran's are the terror proxies, of course, the Hoofis and Hamas. But as Tehran scrambles to regroup and we work out what's happening there, how dangerous are those proxy forces on their own?
Speaker 2: Of the three you would have to say Hesbela and the Houthis are the greater concern. Hesbella very much because it's in such close proximity to israelitive just north of the border, and it really has the capacity to aim precision missiles ballistic missiles at Israel, and they have them. They don't have them in the numbers that the Iranians have them, but they do have them. It hasn't happened yet because Israel has been conducting twice daily operations in sudden Lebanon to neutralized key positions that Hesba fighters have been trying to take. But the truth is Hesbelar is not the fighting force that it was on October six, twenty twenty three, and if it does join this conflict, it will contribute to havoc in the region. We are already seeing assemblance of havoc playing out in places like Bahra in the UAE, Kuwait, Jordan, Qatar, and elsewhere. Hesbela has abstained from the fighting so far, but we have to remember we're not forty eight hours into this extremely consequential war, which really does have quite a way to run.
Speaker 1: Tens of thousands of Israeli troops and reservists have now been called up, So almost everyone in Israel has a personal interest in this conflict. Apart from feeling themselves in peril, They've got a loved one who might be going into a conflict zone at any moment. Donald Trump's calling on Iranians to rise up and seize their own government with American permission and assistance, but he let them down last time. So what is that prospect like for the rest of the region, including Israel? If Iranians do rise up and create some sort of new government, is there a possibility that it could be as bad as or worse for Israel than it was before.
Speaker 2: I think this would seem to be a very pivotal moment, to state the obvious for the Iranian people and obviously the Iranian regime. If there is a popular uprising in the country and they're able to take back power and topple the regime, there is every likelihood that some form of secular government will be reinstated and there will be a parliamentary election of some kind or a democratic election of some kind to see a new leader elected. But if that doesn't happen, then there is just as much of a likelihood that an even harderlign military or religious figure will take control of the country and we will have the Iotola plus plus insert himself into the fray. That is not going to be a good thing for Israel and the region. It's not going to be a good thing for America, and it will not have achieved the ultimate objectives that either side were hoping to reach by launching this conflict, which even though they're not saying it out loud, was to affect Regian change. That's the ultimate goal here. And I suppose for the Iranian people themselves, this is their moment. We know what happens when they try to voice their concerns about this regime. We saw large numbers of people killed on the streets of Tehran and other major cities in the country. On the other hand, has there been a moment of such a magnitude since nineteen seventy nine, I arguably not. So it's really a matter for the Uranian people, as the Israelis and the Americans keep saying, If not now, then.
Speaker 1: When Junny, I'm really glad we managed to find a little gap between air raid soriens to speak to you. Thank you very much, Jen, stay safe, Thank you Joanni Bishani is in the Middle East for The Australian. You can read Yonnie's coverage, plus all our expert analysis and reporting right now at the Australian dot com dot au