Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Wednesday, February twenty five, twenty twenty six. Labor frontbencher Julian Hill says the concerns of people who marched in March for Australia anti immigration rallies should be listened to, not dismissed. Hill is the Assistant Minister for Multiculturalism and he referenced March for Australia's concerns about what he calls unacceptable cultural practices on Australian soil, including homophobia, gender discrimination and forced marriage. That story is live right now at the Australian dot Com dot a U. The Federal Opposition wants a full review of the work done by e Safety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant. That's after a Federal court finding she's been operating outside the scope of her powers. Coalition spokesperson for Communications Sarah Henderson says the government should probe how many potentially unlawful removal notices the commissioner has issued What's antisemitism and what's free speech? The first day of the Bondai Beach massacre. Royal Commission has gone there right at the top. Commissioner Virginia Bell and Council assisting Richard Lancaster say they believe Australians can all agree that antisemitism is out of control and empathy needs to come back. But is that wildly optimistic in today's climate? Today, Chief International Correspondent Cameron Stewart joins us to assess where this probe is going. Cameron Stewart is the Australian's Chief international correspondent and just like me, he was watching the opening addresses of the Bondai Royal Commission. Cam it's going to be, of course about the Bondai Beach massacre in which fifteen people died. Of course, somebody is up on charges in relation to that. Navide R Crumb, one of the shooters, the other shooter our crime, was shot dead at the scene. So there's a criminal process underway. How's the Royal Commission going to do its work with that in the background?
Speaker 2: Claire, Although the references of the Royal Commission are to look at the circumstances leading up to the shooting, including the intelligence and law enforcement response as well, and what they knew quite clearly because there were criminal proceedings of Foot Commissioner Bell said, Look, there's some things we simply mon't be able to talk about, certainly not in public. They suggested there would be quite a few private, closed door hearings in relation to that aspect of the Royal Commission. I think everyone understands that, of course, the Royal Commision does have to be extremely careful not to prejudice those criminal charges against that surviving government. And so that's what she was saying. Look, we will be looking at this, but we will be looking at it with those constraints in mind.
Speaker 1: Can Virginia Bell said she'd be using the International Holocaust Remembrance Association's definition of anti Semitism. Now, for people who are unfamiliar with this, this is hot. Over the past couple of years, there's been great controversy about what antisemitism actually is and how it interacts or lives alongside freedom of speech and the right of people who believe that Israel has done the wrong things in its war in Gaza to express that opinion. Let's hear Virginia Bell reading aloud that International Holocaust Remembrance association IRA definition of antisemitism.
Speaker 3: The definition itself is uncontroversial. It provides antisemitism is a certain perception of Jews, which may be expressed as a hatred towards Jews. Rhetorical and physical manifestations of antisemitism are directed toward Jewish or non Jewish individuals and or their property, toward Jewish community institutions and religious facilities. The definition is accompanied by eleven exacts examples of conduct which could amount to anti Semitism. At least two of the examples are controversial and have led some critics to argue that the IRA working definition wrongly labels as anti Semitic the expression of political views which do not reflect a hatred of Jews.
Speaker 1: Now, Virginia Bell didn't say exactly which examples she was talking about there, But I went and had a look at that IRA definition cam and I think this might be what she's talking about. The eleven examples listed by IRA things that are antisemitism start with calling for aiding or justifying the killing or harming of Jews in the name of a radical ideology or an extremist view of religion. That one's pretty uncontroversial. Another one that I think is uncontroversial is making mendacious, dehumanizing demonizing or stereotypical allegations about Jews, and it goes on like that. But the ones of a Niebel identified are controversial, I would suggest, are these. Example ten is drawing comparisons of contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis. Example seven is denying the Jewish people their right to self determination, for example, by claiming that the existence of a state of Israel is a racist endeavor, or promoting myths about a world Jewish conspiracy or Jews controlling the media, and so on. Kem, You've been at protests throughout the past couple of years about the war in Gaza. We have seen people saying those things in the streets of Sydney and Melbourne and Brisbane since October seven, haven't we that Israel is a Nazi state and that Jews control everything?
Speaker 2: Look, that's right. Certainly, the activist movement, the activist ramp of the pro Palestinian movement, doesn't really even try to separate the politics of Israel with criticism of Jewish people in Australia. I mean, that's the unfortunate fact. That's what we've seen play out on the streets for over two years now, and you know, that's obviously one of the root causes here of the tensions that arise in anti semitism we've seen over the past two and a half years. And I think what Commissioner Bell was saying was, look, she accepts there have been debates about that definition of anti Semitism, but the fact is clear that the Albanisia government has accepted that definition. And what she's saying is, we're not going to get bogged down in this Royal Commission having endless debates about this. We can't do that. We need to move on and look at the actual issues. She did make the point though, which of course is a very correct point, that just mere criticism of the policies of the Israeli government does not constitute anti Semitism. So she was very clear on that point. But she did say We're not going to get bogged down on definitions of anti Semitism in this Royal Commission.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, though, isn't it. Cam By going there on day one in her opening address, she kind of has set this out as a battleground that it is going to be addressed. I mean, I'm imagining that these public hearings are going to involve people wearing kefias and people who are not hashing it out in public using this as an opportunity to kind of grandstand about exactly these issues from both sides.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Yeah, look, that's right. What she's interestingly done is she's made the point which might seem a very obvious point to people if she's doing a Royal commission on anti Semitism, but she said that I am going to prioritize throughout this Royal Commission the focus on anti Semitism. And what she then said was I do accept, of course that other religions experience in tolerance and prejudice against them as well. However, as a starting point, we've had the massacre of people at Bondai. That's my starting point. We are going to focus on anti Semitism. And I think that's an important point for her to make their clear because certainly you've got a lot of claims by propalasity in groups that Islamophobia in Australia is just as big a problem as anti Semitism, and so I think she's clearing the ground to say, look, we have fifteen people who have been killed at Bondai, you have synagogues that have been burnt down, people are asking out to school, et cetera. I mean, is quite clearly a bigger problem than Islamophobia. She didn't say all those in her words, but that's what she was meaning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's justist into a little snippet of that.
Speaker 3: I'm mindful that while antisemitism may be the oldest religious and ethnic prejudice, other religions and ethnicities are also subject to prejudice in Australia. I expect that social cohesion will be advanced by measures that address discrimination against religious faiths, ethnicities and cultures generally. Nonetheless, against the background of the massacre of innocent people who appear to have been targeted simply because they were Jewish. I trust everyone will appreciate why the focus of this Commission will be on tackling anti senmmotism as a starting point in strengthening our bonds of social cohesion.
Speaker 1: Cam. I mean, she seems pretty optimistic there to me. I mean, I don't think that everyone who is going to be giving evidence that this Royal Commission is going to accept that antisemitism short or be or is the starting point. What do you think?
Speaker 2: Look, I think it absolutely has to be the starting point, because I think quite clearly that has been the main form of racial hatred we've seen in Australia for the last two and a half years, and it's called led indirectly or directly, we don't exactly know it to another for evidence to the massacret Bondo. So look, I think it's entirely correct that she takes that approach. But you're right clear. There will be a lot of people who will be debating this in the hearings, and I think this is one of the interesting things about this Royal Commission because it goes into social cohesion as well as anti semitism. There's a lot of sort of subjective matters here which will be the point of argument during the hearings, and I think there's going to be quite a few passions. There'll be people who are upset by what is unearthed of the hearings and what is said, and some of those people who actually opposed the Royal Commission originally said, look, listen, it will undermine social cohesion to have all these views expressed in public. But look, I think the contrary argument to that, and I think a better argument is that social cohesion was fraying and has been praying in Australia anyway. You certainly can't get much more afraid than having fifteen dead people at bondnine and terror attack, and so these things need to be aired. But I think we're going to be up for some very emotional and passionate hearings in the months ahead.
Speaker 1: Richard Lancaster SC who's the council assisting the Royal Commission, went to this point about social cohesion. Let's just listen to that.
Speaker 4: Let us patent to social cohesion as the national consensus in support of democracy, freedom and the rule of law. The consensus to which the letters patent refer is not a uniformity of opinion, nor does it require or involve the suppression of fair criticism and debate. It is quite the opposite. In my submission, it is a consensus that a diverse, multicultural society can subsist and thrive only by mutual acceptance of our respective democratic freedoms exercised according to law. Social cohesion begins with empathy. A large part of the work of this Commission will be to present evidence to allow a broader understanding of the scourge of anti Semitism. Its nature and prevalence throughout Australian society and its impact on the lives of fellow Australians. Through that understanding, there may be opportunities to improve.
Speaker 1: I think many people in the Jewish community can are hoping that what comes out of this Royal Commission is a criticism essentially of governments for allowing, for example, March is over the Harbor Bridge marches in every city every weekend for two years, where critics of Israel loudly suggested that Israel was a terrorist state, Israel was a Nazi state, and so on. I just really wonder about Richard Lancaster's again, I think quite optimistic idea there that just by existing and hearing evidence, the Royal Commission is going to convince everyone that antisemitism is real and that it's bad. What's your take on that?
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean social cohesion, of course is slightly in the eye of the beholder, isn't it. I mean it's not an absolute term. Everyone judges it in different ways. I think what Lancaster is saying is they want to investigate and try and redraw the line, if you like, between anti semitism and freedom of expression. I mean you know, for example, in tertiary institutions, with those protests on campus, academics claimed academic freedom for saying what they were saying in their criticism of Israel, but often that straight into anti Semitism, and so that was used to justification, if you like, for antismitic comments. In the arts community, we've had a similar blurred line between so called creative freedom and comments which border on anti Semitism. We had the Adelaide Writers' Festival controversy, for example. I think what the Royal Commission will seek to do, which is an almost impossible task, to be honest, is draw those lines in what they see as a reasonable and balanced way between freedom and expression and avoiding veering into anti Semitism.
Speaker 1: In that quite fevered moment where members of the Jewish community were lobbying Anthony Albanesi to hold a Royal Commission, there were also suggestions for judges who could be the commissioner. One was Federal Court Justice Michael Lee, another was former High Court Chief Justice Robert French. They were people who members of the Jewish community thought would be fair to their point of view. There was some concern about Virginia Bell, Josh Friedenberg, the former federal Treasurer, said that he had heard concerns about Virginia Bell from the Jewish community, although it was never quite identified exactly what those concerns would be. What was your sense on Tuesday of how Virginia Bell's going to be and how her conduct of this is going to go down with the Jewish community.
Speaker 2: I mean, those criticisms I think were puzzling because they were so vague. We never got to the heart of what the concerns were, and I think they were very counterproductive, frankly for the Jewish community to have done. I mean, they'd finally got that we should have the Royal Commission announced, and then they're complaining about the Commissioner, and I think that was just a step too far, and I think they regretted it fairly quickly. To be honest, I think they should be reassured by what Commissioner Bell said. I think she made a point a smatism will be the number one focus. She's not going to be debating a softening of the standards of anti Semitism as far as the Declaration of it goes. She's going to be practical and to get through as many of the terms of references as she can in the most comprehensive manner possible. I think she was pretty impressive, and I think the Jewish community, at least from the small amount that we saw, should take comforting what we heard.
Speaker 1: Cameron Stewart is The Australian's chief international correspondent. Thanks Cam Pleasure. You can check out Cameron's reporting and all our coverage of the Royal Commission right now at the Australian dot com dot au