Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to The Australian's Money Puzzle podcast. I'm James Kirby, the editor at the Australian. Welcome aboard everybody. Well, you may not have yet I got your full results for the financial year, but you may start to be getting your super returns. They were probably at the nine percent mark, maybe higher. If you've any decent fund at all, and if you were looking at how your shares went, my, oh my very very good year, you would expect on the Australian market that you did at least twelve percent. I'm talking your shares doing about eight percent and your dividends doing maybe four and a half thereabouts, So you get a total return on twelve ish good year by Annie's Andrew's historically comfortably ahead of inflation. And then the US markets absolutely wonderful. I mean they are wonderful. Returns from the US markets. Are you looking at in the order of twenty percent plus on world indusies. You're looking at more like mid twenties on US induses. The US indicies are now so powerful, are so successful that they are representing seventy percent of the world stock market as represented the Morgan Standy Capital International Index, the MYSKI as they call it. So the question we ask is is this as good as it gets both on your super and on your share market return. We had actually own on the show last week, of course, needless to say, as I expected, as I predicted, we had a big response to that. And as I said, we could almost do that show every single month of the year and we'd have avid listeners every month of the year. How much should you have in super? And I thought actually was quite good in how he it really got into the tickets there on the basis that you know it is different for everyone. A lot of it is your own expectations. There are forming as you can follow you mister show, make sure you listen back to it. My guest today is, of course James Girard of Financial Advisor dot com dot you friend of the show, best friend of the show. How are you, James Gerard?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. Thank you, James, lovely beyond as always.
Speaker 1: Great to have you on. Tell me, I imagine you've got all these smiling clients. They probably think you're marvelous to they Oh, James, that's so good this year. You're so good as an advisor, and you sit there going, yeah, well, you know the markets were domn good this year. Is it a year like that?
Speaker 2: Pray tell most of my clients have been with me for ten years or more when we've been through good years, but they've been through bad years as well. So they're happy having double digit returns, most of them. But they understand that there will be a bad dye that comes and we have to sort of look things over long period of time. But yeah, you'd always take a positive return over a negative return. But I guess from here is just about will it continue, which I think will public explore a little bit today.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean I have a self managed fund and I fortunately finally took my own advice about a year and a half ago, and I did shift substantially into offshore markets. And I say substantially, maybe a quarter of all the shares are now in one way or another, not on the X, mostly on the US, and mostly I am using funds or ETFs to access that rother than picking them individually. But you know, it really did lift it. And you're talking twenty percent plus rather than rather than twelve on the local market. And I was talking to someone last night and they were saying that when is the Australian market ever going to come around? When is it ever going to be better than the US, because it isn't year after year, year after year after year. Half far back. You want to go. When they go really well, we go okay. When they fall, we fall with them. It's a difficult one. So in terms of just super returns and super returns being let's see there nine percent for everybody, and then let's see that they are heavily underpinned. No matter who you're with, buy share markets, and the share markets were exceptionally good. I imagine the danger with an advisor is that people start to expect that this is normal, that this is what they should get each year.
Speaker 2: Correct, people have short memories. That wasn't that long ago that the technology stocks in America were out of favor and a lot of big companies were dropping twenty forty fifty percent in value over a twelve minleth period. Now, of course, the fortunes for those companies have changed, and conditions are great for share markets. And also cash rates are high as well, so bond and turned the posits are yielding grade. So we're in a slightly unique situation. Where all asset allocations are forming well, because usually where the share market's doing well, you're not getting that match on cash and property markets are doing greater. Share markets doing well, but everything across the board has been going great over the past fourfronds. So you are absolutely right. Investors shouldn't get complacent because it's not always going to be like this.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, I don't want to be harbinger of doom or anything like that, but what's a period two eight? Oh my god, to wait. Everything was falling, everything, I remember. The only thing because at the time we're running an investment like a newsletter and it was just so grim. The only thing that was that there was any action at all was these gas exploration stocks in Queensland. That's about the only thing. And everything was going the wrong way, absolutely everything. And what people forget is not just that it felt, but it was so grindingly difficult because it fell by nearly fifty percent between the top of two oh seven and the very bottom of two oh nine. And I think, just as a word of warning for anyone who gets a little bit too excited about the returns they've just had, there are periods where it is gruelingly difficult to be exposed to shares, and there is a sense of it will never turn. It always does, but it can take But the COVID crash didn't take that long in it James and be six months, but the GFC crash took two years to happen, that was the hard part, and maybe two years to recover there thereabouts. So you really have to have a strong constitution to go with it, especially as an independent investor. But structurally, I wonder if it's the case that the conditions last year that drove such a good share market return would seem to be perfect again this year and we don't see anything yet that would change that. So is it the case that people probably could be confident on shares and if they are, should they have more overseas because we know independent Australian investors still have not much overseas compared to successful institutional investors such as the Future Fund.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting situation because you have on one hand, as you say, the market conditions which are conducive for more share market gains. So you're going through the sort of normal economic indicators and things that we as professional investors have a lookout for our clients economic indicators. So you know GDP in America's great unemployment, slow monetary policy, or inflations falling. It's come down from nine percent it's now three percent, So that means that the Fed Reserve should decrease interest rate or cash rates, which would be good for share markets in America. If you look at the political situation, it's looking more likely with a Trump win, and that seem to be good for share markets because Trump is a pro business so that should be a shot in the arm for share markets and corporate earnings. They've been strong and it looks like they will continue to be strong. So on one side, everything looks good, ticking the boxes for share markets to keep going up. But on the other hand, we always have to have regard to valuations of share markets. How expensive or cheap is the share market compared to historical averages. And one of the very crude metrics we have a look at is what's called the price to earning ratio. And at the moment, the US share market is traded on a price to earnings ratio of about twenty nine times earnings, which is higher than the historic rate of eighteen times, which means that share markets historically more expensive now compared to historical averages. And what I've observed is that share markets always go back to the long term average. So on one hand, there's room for more games to be had, but on the other hand, at some stage in the future, there will be a drop to go back to the long term average.
Speaker 1: So twenty nine times is the peer on the US market right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah at the moment, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's getting high.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: What would you see as a comfortable number.
Speaker 2: I'd tell you back around that twenty five, which is still above the average, but still not too overvalued. So, pulling out my crystal ball as I do occasionally, I think that in the lead up to the US presidential election, share markets will continue to bubble along and see maybe five or ten percent gains. But then after that, and if Trump gets into power, that's when we'll start to see some shocks to market. He may reignite a trade war with China, for example, or it could be something outside of Trump's controller, might be a geopolitical event with Russia or Ukraine flaring up. So something will happen. Because the more expensive share markets are, the more sensitive share markets are to negative news. Because the investors are just looking for a small piece of information to go Aha. This is a signal we need to take our profits and start selling.
Speaker 1: And as you see, the last time Trump one share market had quite a lift straight away after his election. You might say that would happen with any Republican candidate, but it just so happens that he's the world this time, whether you like him or not. Herely comes again. Okay, just one final thing on that. The bit I always worry about every year is the US Autumn jituus, the September October, the crash season, all the great crashes, all the great drops. They always happen in September October. It's late July. We're only about six or eight weeks off from that patch. Personally, I'm always very very careful of bank shares before that patch because there's often a drop.
Speaker 2: What do you think I agree with that it is a historical warning period where shar marketers are conducive to drop in. But on the other hand, we do have those strong economic factors they're saying that we should plow through this time around and keep getting stronger. So it really depends on using that that's saying you can't see around corners. It's going to be something that pops up in just smack us in the face that caused the share markets to drop that we don't know what it is today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the black Swan event as they call it. Okay, now that's the share market. We're going to bounce around on a few subjects today, folks, for the simple reason that there are a couple of pressing subjects. I know that you would all be very interested in, James one of the things I wanted to also talk about. And they're unrelated, folks, but they're all related to investors and the activities that you or I might be doing in the market. Just quickly, in the stockbroking world and in the advisory world, there's a format for investors that has become very popular and it's growing very very quickly called self managed accounts SMAs. And everything I've read about sma's talks about how great they are and how they're growing so quickly. And you said to me, I don't like them at all. I wouldn't go near them, and I wouldn't put anybody into them. And then I said to you, well, why don't you say that loud and clear and to a pie supplouded in the Australian, which you did, which was great. What do you think now about those SMAs? Do you think people are starting to become a little skeptical about them? And just if you would for the listeners, should they be approached by anyone with the self managed accounts, which are, as I said, the hottest thing you've seen for a long time in the local market in terms of a structure for in the independent investors, just encapsulating you would what you thought was wrong with them.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So these separately managed accounts, they're there to provide convenience to the client but also to the financial advisor because basically the financial advisor is selecting a fund to invest into and that's run by a separately managed account manager. So it could be an asset manager, it could be a company like Lonzec or morning Stuff. So basically the financial advisor is placing you as the client, into a fund. That fund is then investing into other managed funds in ets and shares, and that's all you usually wrapped up inside of a platform. So if you count the laser fees, you have financial advisor feed, you have separately managed account manager fee, you have fund manager fee, you have ETF manager fee, and then you have platform feed. So there's like four or five different types of fees in there, and the financial advisor, at the end of the day has no control over whether BHP is being sold or Rea Tinto's being sold because he's outsourced that responsibility. So I have no issues with separately managed accounts if it's made very clear that the investment management part of the service that the financial advisor is providing has been outsourced, and if the advisor is truly providing other services. So I've got some friends who have financial advisors and they operate SMAs very legitimately because they're focused on clients with say disabilities, and they're helping the family set up trusts, and they're giving advice around how to deal with indis and other things like that. But if it's a run of the mill financial advisor who's hanging their hat with regards to what they do for you on investment management, and they're putting you into an SMA, you're paying them a fee basically for nothing, and there being among themselves in industry conferences about how easy it is to manage clients money.
Speaker 1: How easy because you pay the m a fee, So they pay someone as a fee, and they in turn pay layers of fees across the system. And they've outsourced the whole issue of investment management. So what's left for them to do red tape box ticking exactly.
Speaker 2: And what really irks me is that in their reviews with clients is they're pretending like, oh, yes, we made this change to our portfolio when we've shifted x percent to US shares, but really they had no control of it at all. Is that manager who paid another manager to do that made a change. They're just reporting back to you but pretending like they are the one that instigated that change, which is all bollocks.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of It reminds me of the occasional fleeting commentation that occasionally made their way through my own section, where someone would write these global macro pieces and then I would look and I'd say, I think I somewhere before, and I would see there it was on the Wall Street journe the economists, and I'd say, okay, yeah, that's not gonna work anymore for our audience. Okay, look, just before we go to the break, one last thing, really interesting about that concept about if Trump wins, because it is elections are so important now, and they are so we're getting very extremes right to the middle of the road is gone. As we know just now. In elections we find there's a labor government in Australia, there's a labor government, quite a left wing labor government replacing quite a right wing Tory government. In the UK, there's a surprise rebound of the left against the right in France. And then of course in the US the ultimate market and this is why we're interested in it because it's not a show about politics, it's about show about markets. But if Republicans win, and if Trump wins, the last time he won, the market government big lift. Paradoxically, the economy is very good under Biden, but he's not getting any of and he kudos on that front. And Trump. You see even the big players on Wall Street who would say they don't like him and don't like aspects about him, in recent times our curring favor. And there's lots of stories about the big War Street leaders going back to Trump and forgiving Trump. And basically they're pragmatic. They're saying, discuss going to win we better be on site with him. But I wanted to ask you, was if Trump wins, then do you see that as something that would extend the bullmarket basically that we've been seeing on the US.
Speaker 2: I do, but I think it'll be short term in nature. We may see a bit of what we can call buyers remorse after maybe three or six months. So if Trump gets elected, they'll be hooray, this is great for business, this is great for reducing tax prompting the US economy to drive forward, increase their GDP. But after three or six months, people might go, oh, what have we done here? And that'll start to happen once Trump comes out with his quite extravagant policy decisions, off the cuff comments, and so markets will start to then pull back because although share markets like Republicans because they're more pro business, share markets like stability as well, they don't like it when the politician comes out with an unexpected policy announcement, which Trump has done historically. So I think that short term boosts, but then sometime between three months and maybe nine months, we might see a pullback as reality sets in of who they've actually elected.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I suppose you'd have to say, it would also be a win for old business and fasten fueled business up against ESG business by definition. Yep, Okay, that's also something I suppose that we have to consider as investors. Right, we'll take short break and we'll be back in the moment. Hello, Welcome back to The Australian's Money Puzzled podcast. I'm James Kirby, the World editor at The Australian, talking to James Gerard right on the show Heat of Financial Advice dot com dot au. One of the more interesting things I saw this week a couple of things happened. The ETF industry hit two hundred billion in the local market and on they go, and they are steaming along with the big players, particularly you would know Vanguard and the domestic sort of champions Beta shares both becoming stronger and stronger in recent times. As all the ETF players doing fairly well, Global X etc. People going in there as the market comes to understand that ETFs that amazing proposal they offer an investor, which is that you will do as well as the market. You won't do any worse, and you won't do any better. You will not shoot out the lights, neither will you do terribly because you will just do whatever the market does. So if the ASX did twelve percent last year and you had an ASX ETF, you did twelve percent, and a lot of people are perfectly happy with that, certainly as a core of their portfolio. Now one of the things we've got to be careful about is, just as we're starting to understand ETFs, the goal post move and financial people being what they are, they can never leave things alone, and they are starting to create things called active ETFs where they change, but they don't offer what they used to right, So what they do is they say, yes, we have two ETFs. We have the traditional mirror ETF where we just whatever the ASX does, we will get exactly that. But then they have active ETFs and they say something like it's the exact same it used to be. Accept we're doing something slightly different whatever that might be equally weighted. We're trying to balance the share portfolio so certain things don't happen, and that's called active ETFs, and they are very, very different, and I wish the industry would make it more clear to the everyday investor that they are not what we regard as ETFs. And this is leading me into the first question, which is from Daniel, just wondering if you are able to provide an overview of the best performing active ETFs listed on the Australian Stock Exchange over the last five years. I am thinking it might be a good time to move from non active. Right, that's passive, that's the traditional mirror etf. I was talking about our index fund, which just matches a market too active. Daniel, it's a great question. I bet we'll get a damn good answer from James because he's actually gone and taking the trouble to look at this. And James, I wonder, I'm only going to guess now, but I'm the best performing active ETF on THEESX will be something utterly obscure like a NASDAK options driven something or other. I don't know the answer. Tell me what, Tell me what it is. I'm not completely wrong, tell me that's right.
Speaker 2: It's something that's not a traditional asset. It's one of those crypto ETFs that's atly beaten around for a bat twelve months or sorry, but it's up close to two hundred percent as sort of timed it.
Speaker 1: Well, Okay, so actually even more off the table than I thought. It's not even it's crypto. So you see how far is crypto from what people think ETFs are. I think this captures exactly what I'm driving after, Daniel. But all right, so that's the answer, Daniel. So I don't even want to know its name. Some crypto ETF which is just like as far away from conventional, traditional and conservative investing as you can get, was the winner, Daniel. Now the bigger question is Daniel, and this is never advised. This is to all the Daniels in the world. If you're thinking it's a good time to move from traditional ETF to active ones. I wonder what James Girard has to say.
Speaker 2: And I do have something to say. Yeah, cuting that mind back ten years ago, everybody who invested into share markets via a financial advisor alread investment manager typically done so bio and managed funds. They were very popular. But fast forward ten years ETF so all the rage and so the ETF managers they're in a very crowded market. Now there's lots of ETF managers, there's hundreds of ETFs. They're trying to still get momentum, get more money into ETF. So what they're doing is saying, okay, we've sort of done all of the passive ets we can. We've got baskets for share markets, property markets. We've even narrowed down ETF baskets to countries. You can invest in Japan versus India. You can invest in bank stocks as a ETF. So now they're saying, okay, we're going to offer active ETFs, which sounds great, but really it's a bit of spoken mirrors because they're really just going back to managed funds. And the problem with managed funds active managed funds, which are now being called active ETFs, is that seventy percent of them will underperform the index on a twelve month period. So just let that seit with few. If you invest in a share market ETF and Australian share market ETF a passive one fine, your average return over a tenu period is going to be around nine percent return. If you invest into an active ETF that targets Australian share market, seven out of ten of those managers are going to underperform the index ETF on a twelve month period, and over a ten year period, nine out of the ten active ETF managers are going to underperform the index. There.
Speaker 1: I think it's unbelievable. So the managed funds, the stock pickers, they faded and let's name some names they've faded, right, Platinum which is to rule the roost, or Magellan are perpetual. They were stock pickers. They got it wrong. They didn't beat the index. Here after you, an industry created ETFs or index funds, and they said, look, we just matched the index. That's all we promised, no more, no less, And they have collected two hundred billion dollars from Australian investors because everyone loves the idea, and believe it or not, the same people who invented them have gone off and created active ETFs, which are stocked pickers basically. And it turns out that those active btfs they're is as bad as the old managed funds, that they don't match the index. I actually didn't know that, you know, I have only heard this this morning. I actually didn't think that they would be so bad, yep, But they are. Is that amazing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Because the only real difference is that the old managed funds were unlisted. You had to put in a paper application to buy the active managed fund, whereas the new breed of manage fund. These active ETFs same philosophy in that they stop pickers. The only difference is that you buy them through the share market rather than buying them off market. I'm using paper based applications.
Speaker 1: Yeah good, It's so difficult, isn't it. And by the way, folks, there are always active managers who beat the index always well, they are so few and far between. And the number that beat the index here every year you could put on the head of a pin. Okay, before we get over critical on the active ETFs, so we have put out a big fat warning on them so that everyone knows the difference between buying an ACTIVETF and managed fund. Nothing in it? Is that fair to say, James, am I overdoing it? Is that more or less that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty much. The only difference is the way that you buy. You either buy it directly with the fund manager if it's an old school manage fund, or you buy it through the share market if it's an active ETF. But other than that, they underneath what they do exactly the same. The pick stocks charge of fee.
Speaker 1: We will leave that on the table for you to consider. We will take a break and we will be back with a terrific batchup questions that largely run off last week's show about how much you should have in Super back in a moment. Hello, Welcome back to The Australian's Money Puzzle podcast. James Kirby and James Gerard here with you this morning. We're all sitting pretty as I mentioned at the start, all feeling terribly good about our Super this year. Isn't it nice when it comes right? Isn't it really nice when your shares come right? I'll tell you what, folks, anyone who's a long term investor, if you through those dog years where the market goes backwards, it breaks your heart.
Speaker 2: James.
Speaker 1: I don't know if your investors tell you this, or your clients, but to be putting money into Super pre tax at the max thirty thousand a year and to watch your Super go down is hard. You don't forget, so you do appreciate it. Well, it's good. Now on the issue of how much you should happen Super, we have a string of questions. Why don't we read them on all alternative to James? If you want to read the first one from.
Speaker 2: Dan Perfect, Dan says, Hi, my partner and I are roughly twenty to twenty five years away from retiring. However, if the current trend continues, which it most likely will, there will be significant difference in super balance at retirement, potentially one million dollars versus one hundred thousand dollars. Will this matter from a tax perspective? At retirement? Is it worth and what's the best strategy to even out our superbalances? Is it best to do it now or closer to retirement?
Speaker 1: Great question, and that holds for anyone if you're in your thirties, especially you know one partner is getting whatever. In that case, you're looking at a situation one part is, partner is super it's going to be multiples of the other. Okay, that's in every second household in Australia. So what's the risk, James? And what could they possibly do?
Speaker 2: So it is important to try and equalize supernovation balances for retirement and the reason is that that the news has been placed around the neck of tax free super and have slowly been tightened. Already we've seen the one point nine million dollar cap come in on the maximum amount that you can have in the pension phase tax free and then from next year if it gets legislative, there'll be that all for thirty percent tax on unrealized gains and income above three million dollars inside a super So as a plan in strategy to mitigate the risk of a higher super account getting tax because who knows, twenty twenty five years down the track, they may have brought that threshold down to a million dollars and start to tax that higher account balance. More won't be tax free in retirement, so you should start to do that now. A few things that you can consider, and again not advice, just general information. There's contribution split in, so that's where eighty five percent of a spouse's super contribution can be sent to the other spouse's account. So let's say partner number one has ten thousand dollars as a super contribution into their account, they can actually pick up eighty five hundred dollars of that contribution and send that across to partner number two's super account, and they can do that on a yearly basis. So that's great to boost the balance of the lower balance spouse. The other thing that they could have a look at, depending on income levels, is what's called the spouse contribution. So that's where lower income spouses and generally lower income correlates to lower superbalances because of lower super contribution. So I've just made an assumption here that the spouse with the lower super balance has a lower income. So the higher income spouse puts three thousand dollars into their lower income spouse's super account, and that means that the higher income spouse gets a five hundred and forty dollars tax offset as well. So not only are we boosting the lower super balance by three thousand dollars, the higher income spouse gets a five hundred and forty dollars tax offset. So that's great. And then this is this is a few other little things like government code contributions, salary sacrifice, cash up, concessional contributions for the spouse with the lower super balance. But because we have taps with how much money you can put into super, it's not something that you can just approach age fifty nine and go, okay, great, we're gonna equally this million dollars one hundred thousand dollars too late. You have to do it well in advance.
Speaker 1: Well in advance, so you're thinking the right way Dan. I mean, the basic thing is that what you don't want is a ludicrous situation where you're both together and you have more than one point nine million and super and your partner has very little and super and you're paying tax on your super when the other person has who knows, like a million dollars they could have had in there before they hit attacks, before they were to pay tax at all. That's the essential thing. So planning, planning way, I had great idea. Okay, that was Dan. There's a few of them, so we'll try and get through them before the end of the show. Hi, James, regular listener. I've learned a lot from it, so thank you, Thank you, Neil. I'm semi retired. Just move my super into a pension account. Investments earnings are now tax free. Yeah whoo. But wondering if this should modify my investment strategy. Capital gains are not a concern now, so our growth stocks more attractive. Okay, it's very quickly, James. We're always told about growth, lots of growth when you're younger, move it towards income when you're older. Neil is challenging that to a degree. He's saying, hey, you know I could I don't have to worry about tax now, maybe I should have more growth. He's kind of upending the textbook principles.
Speaker 2: What do you think he may be buoyed from the optimism gained by double digit.
Speaker 1: Maybe the exact sort of person we've been concerned about who thinks it's perhaps easier than it is. Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: So we will real kneel back down to earth. And what I'd say to Tamil is that you need to think about what's important for you in retirement when you're not earning an income and you're relying on your super account to generate your income stream to support your spending for the rest of your life. And so to answer my own question, it's income. That's what we want from your investment. It's not capital growth anymore. We want reliable, high income. So depending on your current mix, so I'd be probably looking at staying that type of arrangement. And for all the nails in the world, as we get close to retirement, generally we want to be more defensive. We want to put in more blue tip stocks, more bonds in there, focus on capital preservation and income. So yeah, I probably wouldn't be going for all out, let's go growth strategy, because if we have a snap event and something that block blacks one event, as you coined earlier, James, we could see Super accounts dropped by thirty percent and that would just send peace people who were in that transition to retirement phase back five or ten years with their super balance. So we definitely don't want that to happen.
Speaker 1: That's right, that it is the risk, all right, Christine, I'm a long time listener, first time caller. My question is if I wanted a total investment portfolio inside and outside of super A fifty percent of Australian shairs and fifty percent international shares, what should I consider? In other words, is it better to hold the Australian shares outside of Super and the international shares in Super? Does it not make any difference? It makes a difference, Christine, probably because your Australian chairs have a four and a half percent evidential than your American ones have not have the bugger rold basically, isn't it what is it? Is it even two percent? James? I'm not sure? Very low? So what's the you might give give Christina some guidance there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a slightly difficult one because it depends on a lot of individual circumstances with regards to how old you are. So how soon can you access your super? What type of strategy are you going to employ? Will it be a buy and whole will it be a take profits every year? What's your tax rate personally as well? So you almost need to draw out like a little matrix and go all right, Well, Christine's basically asking between super and non super, and she's also asking between Australian shares and international shares, So just looking at the characteristics of each of those and as you said, James, Australian shares higher dividends, lower growth compared to international shares, and international shares higher growth historically but lower dividends. And then with superinnuation. When you're working, the maximum tax that you can pay in your super account is fifteen percent, but if you're retired it's zero percent tax, and with your employment income where personally you can pay up to forty seven percent tax. So you have to sort of like consider all those things and then work out what's the best approach is. There's no one single answer for that one, unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there isn't Obviously, super is a tax protected vehicle and is excellent as a tax vehicle once you'll retire, Christine, And that's fairly obvious. And as James says, in terms of guidance in those particular allocations, the big difference is the Australian shares for a long time have trailed the US shares in terms of their growth and very much the case in recent times. They do, however, have a four and a half per cent of evident deal and that is nice because when things go down, you still get that need and that is what a lot of people depend on for income. Okay, James, read the last two questions. I'll just introduced into questions. There are two questions on the same thing, folks, and everyone's always asking about this. If you're moving money around in your super fund in any fashion, do they sell the shares and then do they buy them back? And does that cost you? That's basically what these two questions are about. But James, if you'd like to read the two of them, one from Luke and one from Chris, and we'll deal with.
Speaker 2: Them of course. So well, let's start with Luke. So Luke says, regarding the recontribution strategy with Super to minimize your family's tax on inheritance and just as a side to that, that's seventeen percent on the taxable component of your soup up if it goes to a non financial dependent. So, coming back to Luke, if you had some shares in Super, do you have to sell the shares to take them out of Super and then recontribute back cash back into Super. So the answer to that depends on the type of Super account you have. If you have a self managed Super account, you will maybe able to do what's called an in specie transfer, so you sign a piece of paper, you do what's called an off market transfer, the share of transferred from Super to your personal name, and then you can do another transfer and put them back again. Whereas if you're with a retail or industry super fund, they're more likely to say no, sorry, we can't help you with that. That's not one of the features of our fund, and you have no option other than to sell, send the cash out to your personal bank account, send the money back into the super fund, repurchase the shares. Last thing I'd say with that is just be careful of what the tax office coin as wash sale rules. So if you sell the one hundred percent of say BHP from your super, you cash that out, and you put that cash back in again, you buy BHP again. Although this is not the same purpose. For tax purposes, the tax office may have a look at you, particularly if you have a self managed to per fund, and say, why exactly did you do that transaction where you're trying to dodge tax them. So you need to be careful about maybe not buying exactly the same shares back that you sold as part of that recontribution strategy.
Speaker 1: And you would say to the tax office, good gosh, though I never tried to do anything. I tried to pay as much tax as possible every time. That's my whole approach. Yeah, sure, okay. Look in terms of that one, that's interesting, James, So an SMSF, that's an advantage of an SMSF. Then that recontribution strategy is actually a pragmatic and practical thing. While learnd the big funds it's a bit of trouble. It sounds like a lot of trouble. Actually, I never knew that, all right, And I suppose also, you know, you don't have to be so if a person was doing something like that, you don't have to. You could buy, for instance, an ETF from one company on the Australian share market, and then you could sell one and then and buy another ETF from another company, which is a completely different investment for tractors doing the same thing in the unlikely event that the ATO would be so ab third as to try and challenge you on what is a legitimate strategy. Okay, what about the question from Chris.
Speaker 2: Chris says, thanks for the podcast. If I change settings within my super fund from conservative to high growth, for example, does that mean my balance is cashed out to an existing shareholding, attracting capital gains tax? In other words, do I take the short term hit for switching my super settings? She is, Chris. So, with most what we call unitized super funds, which are actually most retail and industry super funds. Every day, in the unit price of your balance option, your growth option, you Australians, your option, they continuously factor in capital gains tax into that unit price at the end of the day. So if you're to sell down to cash, there's no capital gains tax hit. So it's more if you run your own self managed super fund, that's when you crystallize the gain or loss on the individual stock et for managed funding your self managed super fun So in most cases know that's not an issue at all, but it's best just to check if your super fund because some retail funds in particular, they do calculates capital gainst tax separately, but from ninety percent of them, they're all built into the unit price of the day. So what if you see on your balance, that's what you're going to get if you cash it in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really interesting, isn't it. So there you are. There's the two questions. First of all, we're on a similar theme about moving money around, and it's interesting there were very different answers for self managed super funds and retail funds, and that's a really interesting dimension to it, and I thought that's an interesting the recontribution strategy, by the way, folks, just one last thing if you don't understand those and it's loopy, but it works, and it's entirely legitimate if you have super and you leave it in an inheritance, the taxable component being the part where you had some tax concession. For most people is the vast majority of their super right because it was composed three, you actually pay seventeen percent tax. Your inherent tours would pay seventeen percent tax on that super if they were adult children. Is that it James who are who are the ones who have to pay seventeen percent tax?
Speaker 2: Absolutely so from husband and wife or spouse to spouse, no tax, but to adult children who are not financially dependent, seventeen percent tax on the taxable component.
Speaker 1: So people say there's no death taxes in Australia, but actually SUPER, which is more more important and more common and becomes, after the family home, the main investment for many people, there is inheritance tax and it's seventeen percent. To avoid that, legitimately, you can continually take a certain amount out of SUPER and re contribute that amount back in. Can you believe this? And when each time you put that for every dollar you take out, when you put the dollar back in, that dollar is reduced from the taxable component of the inheritance.
Speaker 2: Is that it one hundred percent?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay, so absurd, but entirely legitimate. And I must say, if you wanted to ensure that your adult children, in the fullness of time, got the most inheritance they could possibly get from your super, then you would do it. Is there limits on how well you can't just basically take out a millionaire put it back in. You've got to do with the systematically, don't you what's the procedure?
Speaker 2: That's right and probably timely that this is mentioned. Because the non concessional contribution cap has increased from one hundred and ten thousand to one hundred and twenty thousand, then for people who are below the age of seventy five, they could actually pull forward two future years of that annual contribution as well. So at the moment, it's a maximum of three hundred and sixty thousand dollars that people can pull out of SUPER, which will have a mix of taxable and tax free component, and then they could go to their personal bank account and then they put that back into SUPER. And when it goes back into SUPER, it goes in as that non concessional contribution up to three hundred and sixty thousand, and that increases the tax free component, so less tax to non dependence later on.
Speaker 1: By doing that strategy, it's a strategy that could only have been devised in a completely hatchwork quill system that has emerged over the years. But I tell you what folks, wealthy people in Australia, they systematically do it. As I say, we don't realize that there is actually an inheritance tax. And not only that, but that inheritance tax is based on that taxable component in Super and for many families, Super will be that will be the inheritance apart from the family home. Okay, terrific. Hey, there's really good James, quite technical of times nature of it. I hope it was useful to you all. I'm sure it was. You were interested in how much you should have in Super. Maybe you might also be interested in how much Super you might leave someday to somebody if you don't spend it all. Okay, Hey, thank you James.
Speaker 2: That's my pleasure. Thanks having me is always in you know what. Great questions from the listeners. Very intelligent, very insightful question.
Speaker 1: So they are indeed well done.
Speaker 2: Well done listeners.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you listeners and keep them rolling please, I'd love to have some more the money Puzzle at Thesustralian dot com dot au. Okay soon