Speaker 1: Lately. Welcome the late debate. Great to have your company.
Speaker 2: I'm James macpherson with Liz Staer and Joe Hildebrand coming up. Donald Trump begins trolling Joe Biden ahead of tomorrow's presidential debate.
Speaker 1: It's not a bad effort either. Will show you that in a moment.
Speaker 2: Plus, when we look at the papers, Australian military takes possession of a one billion dollar drone and Melbourne Universities threatened students with expulsion for taking part in pro Palestinian rallies. All of that a little later, but first we need to answer the question is there a climate crisis or not? Or at least North Sydney Council needs to answer that question. After telling EV drivers they can't run power cords across the footpath to charge their vehicles, they say it's a trip hazard.
Speaker 1: Well let me ask you this.
Speaker 2: What's worse tripping on a cord and raising your knee or dying due to global boiling. Why do North Sydney Council hate the planet EV owners if, if we're honest, they're on the front line of the battle against climate change. But environmentally conscious drivers like North Sydney resident John Slater have been threatened with three hundred dollars fines because unable to park his car in his own driveway, he has to run an extension cord across the footpath to charge it. Now, have a look at his car and the cord that he ran across the path. I think we've got an image of it that shows John Slater went to quite a bit of effort. He's taped the cord down on the footpath so no one's going to trip over it. But then, of course he got a letter from the council saying if he dares to do that again, he'll receive a three hundred dollars fine. Well, John was pretty astonished by this. In fact, he told the Daily Telegraph I was astonished. We were only charging at night, and we live in a very quiet street with barely any pedestrian traffic after six pm, and we used a black covering on the cord so it wasn't a trip hazard. And then he says this, which I think is the killer line. He says, we have a client, an emergency, but the council is instead more worried about public liability and being sued. Great point, John Slater tripping hazards will be the least of our problems when Sydney is overrun by rising sea levels because councils won't allow ev drivers.
Speaker 3: Joe, that is absolutely that's right. Basically, North Cydney Council is responsible for the death of the planet and the end of human civilization as we know it. I hope you're proud of yourselves. I wonder if this is why Kyllia Tink's seat got redistributed in the latest Australian Electional Commission shake up of the boundaries, because of course she was the teal member for North Sydney, but no longer because North Sydney no longer exists as an electric which again is an early warning system for what's going to the entire planet. Because they're not letting this up. And they're not the first council to do it either. There was another council. I think you might have been Northern Meass. I don't want to flag them off, but there was another council that said this. This has been going on and on and on and no one's got a solution for it. What do you do if you don't have a Drivewise, it's about.
Speaker 2: Thirty percent Liz, I think of Sydney residents who don't have a driveway where they can park their car. So the government pushing everybody into evs that yet to provide a solution to how people are going to charge these things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: And you've got to feel for this guy, John Slater because the whole article he sounds like such an earnest soul.
Speaker 4: Right now, he's got solar panels.
Speaker 5: He mentions that he's done everything the government asked him to.
Speaker 4: He's got the solar panels.
Speaker 5: Now he's going to be charged for exporting excess energy during the day when solar panels make the most energy, and he's at work so he can't use any of it. But thank you, John. He's got the EV because the government told him to. Maybe he was subsidized, maybe he wasn't, but he genuinely wants to save the planet, so he got that. He wants to charge it at home because it's forty two cents less per killer watt, eight cents at home, fifty cents if he goes to one of those public pumps and waits for hours in a line, finally gets there, fuels up that way, so it's much cheaper for him this way as well. He spent one thousand dollars rather all his equipment, the cord, the tarp, making sure no one will trip. And someone still dubbed him on into the very government. And he turns around Ernest John and says, I'm so astonished, John, buddy, have you figured out yet it's not about saving the planet.
Speaker 4: Come on, think with me here. They're really hard.
Speaker 1: I'm impressible, Sydney council.
Speaker 2: I've got rangers after ten pm at night, patrolling footpaths taking photo.
Speaker 5: Really, it wasn't a ranger. That's that's just as serving monitory. Because he was absolutely.
Speaker 4: That's how councils work. It's not a ranger.
Speaker 5: And he said himself he lives in a very quiet area, so rangers aren't checking out like parking tickets or anything like that in a really quiet area. One of his neighbors has spotted the tarts added that I used to be your city councilor this is how it always works. Nancy next door picking up the phone, being like, are you aware? And now poor John, despite all his efforts, is still getting.
Speaker 3: And I think when you said, you know, and you know he's got solar panels. That riding me to the old joke about you know, how do you know if someone's vegan, they'll tell you, they'll tell you.
Speaker 4: But I made it into the article.
Speaker 3: He's so selfless because even despite having all the solar powers panels and not being able to, you know, not being able to exploit it because he's at work during the day, he's still charging his EV at night, so he's actually handing this money directly over to the government, over to osgrid and the supplies. And also, I can't help but wonder why would you make it a requirement for or it is an effective de facto requirement whether you make it one or not. But you're saying, well, you can own you can't have any cords on the footpath, so you can only have a you can only charge your car at home if you have a garage or a driveway on site on your property. When at the same time we constantly get all these studies showing that houses with the biggest land geographical footprint are also the biggest producers of carbon They're also the biggest producer of carbon dioxide, so they're also the worst of the environment. So you are basically saying that to have to own an electric vehicle, you have to have a property that produces more CO Two. Right, we're through the looking glass, yere people, And I'm a supporter, I'm on John's side. But again, there is just no force on Earth, including the actual prospective end of the Earth itself, more powerful than petty bureaucracy.
Speaker 2: Well, you'd think if there was a Climate CIS Council would throw people like John Slater a bone.
Speaker 4: It wins the day.
Speaker 5: And while we're speaking about evs, the fact that we don't have the infrastructure, the fact that all the lithium batteries are very dangerous, the fact that we won't have anywhere to put all the lithium batteries, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 4: And so on. Maybe they can be remotely turned off the list whar's long.
Speaker 5: Let's check out this battery factory in South Korea where a massive explosion lithian iron battery factory went up in smoke on Monday. Of course, it was very hard to get such a blaze out. I believe we've got some footage of it there if we can get that up on the screen. So this lithium battery factory, the lives of twenty two people.
Speaker 4: This is while it was still nice.
Speaker 5: And small, but wait for it, it gets a lot bigger. Quite the tragedy. Twenty two lives in total lost due to this.
Speaker 2: To give your perspective on that, there were one hundred and two people working in the factory at the time and twenty two of them perished in this.
Speaker 5: Solios lithium there you go, they grow very fast. And also it may not have been that those twenty two people were caught in the.
Speaker 4: Flames necessarily, but being a lithium.
Speaker 5: Iron fire, those fumes are incredibly toxic. So if you are within smellings distance, indeed your life could be very much in danger. But don't just think this kind of thing is happening in South Korea. Check out this headline from just last week where the people who collect our rubbish are saying, oh no, we encounter about ten thousand lithium iron battery fires a year. Check Out this quote from Viola chief exec Richard Kirkman. He says he receives calls once or twice a.
Speaker 4: Week rebattery fires.
Speaker 5: He said, most of the time we're getting that fire out, but every couple of weeks we're losing a truck, or we're having a serious fire which is costing us money, or a facility. So I don't know about you guys, but I had no idea it was this prevalent.
Speaker 4: We've covered the odd.
Speaker 5: Fire here and there with say a e bike blowing up again with him my own battery, but I didn't know that we're seeing up to ten thousand per year, and these guys see it most of course, because people don't dispose of their batteries in the right way.
Speaker 4: They just chuck it in the bin. You're not supposed to do that.
Speaker 5: But they rightly make the argument that we can't just tell people not to throw their batteries in the bin when there's nowhere else to put them.
Speaker 2: One of the most dangerous things you can do is charge your scooter, for instance, at your front door, inside your apartment, or in your house.
Speaker 1: My kids had an.
Speaker 2: Electric scooter, which we greatly enjoyed racing around local car parks. But of course they would bring it inside the house, put it in the front door, plug it in. But now you know, of course, artis patches on fire.
Speaker 1: You got to get out. There's the exits.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting thing and there's a site. There's a line in the story about the factory fire in South Korea that alarming, just a line in passing right and says, the fire, which has largely been extinguished, occurred at about ten thirty am on Monday. I'm not filled with confidence by the use of the word largely because isn't the whole thing that these things just currently put out like you're just you're just constantly, constantly you think you've got it out, like firefighters are having to learn new techniques to put out with your mind fighters. And again, this is not new. We've had new technologies that are hard to deal with and kill people and since time immemorial. But you know, as if this is meant to be reassuring the fire which has largely been extinguished, So hey, guys, is the fire out in the house yet?
Speaker 5: Oh? Largely that there was thirty five thousand units in this factory. So a lithium bactory fire is bad enough, but imagine that many units going up in flame.
Speaker 2: Well, the article says, and we showed the vision of how it started. Within fifteen seconds it took before the whole place was on fire. Of course, sticking with electric vehicles. One of the challenges is the reliab of these vehicles, considering most of them are now coming from China. Fascinating story in the papers this week about Sarah from northern New South Wales who had an absolute horrid time with her new hybrid MG manufactured in China. Now she thought she got a bargain forty nine thousand dollars hybrid MG. But listen to her describe what happened after she drove it away from the dealership in.
Speaker 1: Sutherland, Sydney.
Speaker 2: She says, immediately after driving it out of the dealership, she experienced a catastrophic power failure, whereby I couldn't even engage the electronic break the alone acceleration or steering. So it's one thing for your brakes to go, Liz, but I would suggest that when you're steering and your acceleration searing do nothing, you are completely out of control.
Speaker 1: She carries on.
Speaker 2: Thankfully I stopped meters short of a major intersection in Sydney. I did, however, have to keep my foot on the brake for ninety minutes until a tow truck arrived.
Speaker 3: Oh hang on a minute of the breaks working or not?
Speaker 2: Good point see it's very confusing with these anyway, Police and DMC Transport Management Center also had to attend due to the traffic hazard. So she takes the car back to the dealership and says, look, the brakes failed, the accelerator failed, the steering failed. Can you please do something about this? They were very apologetic and a representative apologized these were unfortunate events. The dealership said that happened on the day of delivery with your new car. They replaced the battery, paid all the expenses, etc. And she was told go home. You have had an incredibly unlucky day.
Speaker 3: I'd to say that is the most Eastern Zen way of describing what happened. It was unlucky, unfortunate events that happened on day of delivery with your new car was very unlucky.
Speaker 1: The breaks failed. That's unlucky.
Speaker 3: It's like a fortune cookie.
Speaker 1: But wait, it gets worse.
Speaker 2: Nine days later, she's in Belena in northern New South Wales and the battery fails again. This time she can't start the car, but warning lights are going off NonStop. She can't stop the warning lights going off, so she returns the car a second time and is told, look, we've tested the battery. There is no fault at all. The car is yours. Well, she didn't want it at this point. She said, look, I can't rely on the breaks to work. I can't rely that it's going to start when I need it to. Could you please take it off my hands? But unfortunately the dealer said, we're not in a position to take it back from you. This raises the question, do you remember we always used to make the jokes about stuff made in China. Yep, you know it's cheap Chinese stuff, But now most of the cars people are driving are made in China.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And look, I would be very much of that same view, except for the fact that this sounds exactly what happens with my Falcon every single day of my life. It won't start. People are looking at it going it seems like one hundred years old and a bit yeah, like no, it's what he said. It's two thousand and eight something I was, and it's meant to be a workhorse at last. Forever it had the thing where the engine mobilizer just didn't work. It just didn't. It just didn't know. No one really knew what it was. They tried to fix and fixed one thing and could fix another thing. They had a thing where the LPG just would never ever kick in. I still don't know what my mechanic did, only he understands it better than me. It somehow got not one but two insect infestations with not one but two different types of insects. So first it was ants, then it was German cockroaches. I wouldn't mind if it was just normal cockroaches. German issue? Was that an issue with how you've been? Just just me? Because I'm just cursed. I'm just absolutely cursed. We can't and I could go on and on and on and on and on. The jack just disappeared, like the tires of every single tire has blown out of everything. The ball, the ball joints on the wheels, right the wheels are literally falling off. The ball joints on the wheels just last month, right fully just snapped like like.
Speaker 4: Just feel like you can relate to Sarah.
Speaker 3: I think Sarah should count her lucky stars. She's true down. No, I don't go for the hat trick. See what it can do. H incredible. I think my panel bet has gone off on a bender somewhere. I can't even get a hold of it.
Speaker 4: Ara, you have not got problem.
Speaker 5: Sure, you're fifty k out of pocket and your car doesn't work, and the dealerships denying that anything untoward has happened to you or the car. But Joe, Joe is the one that you should be pitying.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: Over the last forty eight.
Speaker 5: Hours, we have seen an absolute master class of how to handle the lefty media in Australia. This master class was held by two Americans, one on Australian soil and the rest via skype back home in America. The first is congress Woman Marjorie Taylor Green.
Speaker 4: She's a big Trump supporter. She's a Republican.
Speaker 5: Through and through, and funnily enough, I can't believe this either. The ABC's Sarah fir Ferguson decided to have Marjorie on her show last night to talk about Julian assanj Also, she said, here's a little bit of how it went. You've never accepted the results of the twenty twenty presidential election.
Speaker 4: Indeed, you've lionized people for.
Speaker 6: Sarah, aren't we talking about Julian Assange?
Speaker 4: Sarah? Are you?
Speaker 6: Are you even as sirius or even a serious interviewer. I thought, we're talking about Julian Assane here today. That's what you were asking me to come on to your Australian news show. I don't usually do interviews like this because people like you can't be taken seriously.
Speaker 5: I love it. She was basically like, I'm not playing ball. You asked me on to talk about Julian Assange. None of this has to do with Julian assangje And this went on for several minutes because that American woman, that congress woman, wasn't taking a bar of it from the ABC's Ferguson just how I was earlier. We've got Tucker Carlson in Australia at the moment.
Speaker 4: As you may be aware, he was in Canberra.
Speaker 5: Answering some questions from the press and he was copying a bit more of the same and once again showed us how it's done.
Speaker 7: And in the past you've talked about how white Australians, Americans Europeans are being replaced.
Speaker 5: By non white immigrants in what is often referred to as the Great Replacement theory.
Speaker 4: This is the same I have.
Speaker 8: I said that whites are being replaced. Well, I don't think I said that, Well, it's been mentioned on your show four thousand times, And really, when did I say that on your I said whites are being replaced?
Speaker 4: You have said that before?
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, I.
Speaker 8: Would challenge you to say that, because I'm pretty sure I haven't said that. I said, I said native born Americans have are being replaced, including blacks.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry to say it did not get any better from this reporter at the AAP.
Speaker 1: We just met.
Speaker 8: But when our relationship starts with a lie, it makes it tough to be friends.
Speaker 1: I mean, you've been looking at.
Speaker 8: That stupid in the media.
Speaker 1: I guess it doesn't pay well.
Speaker 8: How dare you try to tie me to some lunatic who murdered people? How dare you actually and in fact, I mean, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: And sadly, Tucker was left with no other option to conclude with this banger.
Speaker 8: And I just feel sorry. I mean, because I got here in the country so unbelievably beautiful and the people are so cheerful and funny and cool and smart. I'm like, your media has got to be better than ours. It can't just be a bunch of castrated robots reading questions from the boss and then it turns out it's exactly the same, maybe even a tiny bit dumber.
Speaker 5: Castrated robots reading questions from the boss. I didn't think I could love Tucker Carlson more than I already do, and yet that is just that is pure poetry.
Speaker 3: I take offense to that. I am not a robot.
Speaker 1: I think you've.
Speaker 5: Protected immediately talking about everything.
Speaker 2: Also, it's true we should put out that interaction with Tucker and the journalist went for about six or seven minutes.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, And Tucker started off.
Speaker 2: Trying to be quite gracious and gentle with her, but she just kept on going and going, and so eventually he didn't lose his call, but he did become quite direct with her. And that's something I think that the American press and American politicians are far more used to than we are here in Australia. Same on the ABC there with the Republican who pushed back on Sarah Ferguson. Our media probably aren't that used to it, but the Rgie bargie in America is far more prevalent.
Speaker 1: But our conservative politicians should do.
Speaker 2: More of that, call out the ideological bias of journalists and refused to be pushed around.
Speaker 5: And also, just like Marjorie Taylor Green said, you asked me on your show about this thing.
Speaker 4: That's why I'm on here.
Speaker 5: I don't normally do these interviews, but I came on the premise of this was the agreed topic. Sarah Ferguson was asking her about election denial, saying what will you do if Biden wins at the end of the year, all these ridiculous about the about the debate on Friday.
Speaker 3: No, you know, this is our main topic. And then when you've got someone you try to ask some other stuff. That's clearly that clearly was have to answer it.
Speaker 5: Women laid that clear, made that clear to Sarah Ferguson. Ferguson just rudely kept on going madam stylers.
Speaker 3: She held her own and you know, good on, But that doesn't I don't think that you shouldn't say, you know, the journalists can't ask this, but can't ask that, or.
Speaker 4: That's not what we're saying. We're simply saying.
Speaker 5: I love this bullshy approach by these American conservatives where they're like, no, you're not going to walk her all over me.
Speaker 4: You're not going to put Marjorie.
Speaker 2: Taylor Green called out the bias in Sarah Ferguson's question because she began the question with words the effect, you've been known to deny the result of the twenty twenty election so immediately, But.
Speaker 3: Is that has has she not questioned the result of the twenty twenty election? Is that not true?
Speaker 5: Hasn't everyone with a single firing neuro between between the ballots, between the midnight Come on, Joe, there is a very long list now with.
Speaker 2: Hillary Clinton also denied the result of an election, But the way the question was phrased.
Speaker 3: It was pritic clear she didn't the election. Was she winged and mind about the electoral college system and said it wasn't fair because she got more popular votes?
Speaker 5: And I'm sorry, joke.
Speaker 4: In terminology are stolen election? So if you want to.
Speaker 3: An extremely critical of Hillary Clinton's use of I don't know if she said it was stolen. I think she said was she did well? Okay, fine, but.
Speaker 4: They all did at nauseam.
Speaker 3: But she she certainly winged and complained about fake news, and that came back to buy her on the proverbial. But still, anyway, let's get to something that we can all agree to hate, which is these little noodle armed protesters at Newcastle Port. This is a blockade. Australia have been disrupting Newcastle Port for climate action and we've got just a little sample of their I know that sky sky viewers are incredibly sophisticated. They're very politically engaged. But even though I think might struggle with the subtle nuance of this particular protesters manifesto have a.
Speaker 9: Listened blocking the world's largest coalport, currently stopping trains just shockers.
Speaker 3: Full of coal.
Speaker 1: I'm on a little structure.
Speaker 9: I managed to hold the trains and hopefully we'll be doing so for for quite some time. I want to start by acknowledging the fact I will start by saying I'm from Gimbangia Country. My name Sam from company can Bang your country. I don't know this area too well, but I'd like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of this land.
Speaker 5: Are they the traditional custodians of the Oh it's the railway, Okay, okay.
Speaker 3: I just love it so but you're already started. You can't go. I'd like to start by like that you've already started.
Speaker 4: That was technicality, Joe.
Speaker 3: Secondly, did you ask the traditional custodians of the land, if you could go and shain yourself to their to their coal trains, I think the traditional custodian of the land.
Speaker 5: Probably would have been like, yeah, no, Actually.
Speaker 2: Australia protest. They've done six or seven protests over the last three days and I think they've got a couple more days of protesting to go. But a spokesperson for the railway said that while they have blocked the railway tracks, coal trains have had to remain stationary, but for technical reasons they have to keep their diesel engine help and it estimates that they have burned one hundred and ten thousand liters of fuel sitting stationary waiting.
Speaker 4: It makes to be growth.
Speaker 2: So if carbon emissions cause catastrophic bushfires and we end up with catastrophic bushfires, blame Blockade Australia for the one hundred and ten thousand liters of diesel that were burned because of their protest that otherwise would not have been burglar.
Speaker 5: They are explaining their actions from the words of Blockade Australia itself quote it's because the Australian state doesn't listen to us GEE. I wonder why whether it be climate change, whether it be the genocide occurring right now in Palestine, whether it be the absurd cost of living and price gouging in our supermarkets.
Speaker 4: Okay, blockade Australia, which is it?
Speaker 5: Okay, just take every single lefty issue under the sun, smoosh them together in some amorphous blob of nothingness and be like, yeah, that's why we're stopping the coal train.
Speaker 3: But do you know that you know the old joke, if you heard the old the old joke, and everyone just whole judgment for a day, and someone goes, what's worse than having your lunch stolen? The Holocaust? Because the idea is that these two things are so grotesquely apart that they can't possibly be compared.
Speaker 4: I've never heard that this guy.
Speaker 3: Has done it. He's compared to the genocide occurring right now in Palestine with price gouging at our slop market. So this guy like, he claims obviously to be all in on the next genocide. And also, why does my French stick cost ninety cents more than it did last year?
Speaker 2: And speaking of cost of bating, all these people trying to get to work couldn't take trains because they were blockading the line they could drive.
Speaker 1: Everyone had to drive, polluting the environment, or.
Speaker 2: Had to catch buses, So indeed, you know they're making the environment worse of living. But that wasn't my favorite protest from these blockade.
Speaker 4: Oh no, the best is yet to.
Speaker 2: The best came from a couple of elderly ladies who climbed on top of a train and then thought, how can we best make our points? So if people understand the seriousness the gravity of the climate crisis, and they came up with this, stop.
Speaker 6: In the name of life before we break apart, Stop in the name of life.
Speaker 7: This could be our last chance before reo.
Speaker 5: This coal is killing us too.
Speaker 4: The US.
Speaker 2: If the choice is global warming or those two singing, give me global warming any day of the week, I hope the climate crisis come.
Speaker 5: On a lot of effort into that mac into that no one should be allowed to protest from now on unless you've got some sick beats like that.
Speaker 2: You must watch a Supremes classic in order to save the environment.
Speaker 1: Why didn't break.
Speaker 3: Why didn't that come with the trigger warning?
Speaker 4: How should it witch a strap? Sorry Joe?
Speaker 3: And it didn't even rhyme, And they obviously hadn't worked out the words between them Beforehandoh the name of love, the.
Speaker 5: New version like the lady that we were talking about last night who decided to make her own version of the Australian anthem. The other thing was actually, think, there's sounds good.
Speaker 2: We don't have to take the first recording like they could have gone, you know, tuneless.
Speaker 4: You don't know that that wasn't the best out of fifty.
Speaker 1: I hope it was.
Speaker 3: Probably like why did it have to be a cappella? I mean, it's not like there's a shortage of hippies who can play the guitar.
Speaker 2: I thought one of the ladies was trying to do harmony, but then I just realized, no, she was just that's right.
Speaker 3: She was just out of tune by exactly one third.
Speaker 4: The passion made up for it, right.
Speaker 2: Both ladies were arrested and appeared in Newcastle Court. I'm not sure what the punishment was, but I hope it was we.
Speaker 1: Know what the charge because we will be.
Speaker 3: I think, couldn't you just like play their song back to them?
Speaker 5: I'm sure they were singing it in court and that's what the judge would have banged the gavel on to America.
Speaker 4: Now we're a United Airlines.
Speaker 5: Will someone trying to board one of the United Airlines planes.
Speaker 4: Has been told they can, in fact not bored.
Speaker 5: This woman was there with her toddler and her well, it wouldn't have been her grandmother, it would have been her mother. She's trying to board, and she's told by the staff, no, you may not come on board because you misgendered.
Speaker 4: One of the staff.
Speaker 5: Apparently one of the people on board serving customers was transgender.
Speaker 4: Hear it herself, Well, hear it from her herself.
Speaker 3: This is the muffaul.
Speaker 4: I'm sure it's her.
Speaker 7: My son and I are United Airlines waiting for a flight from can Francs going to ask them, and the flight attendant has denied access to us because he said that id a derogatory climent about one of the hat at ten minutes because they didn't use a rate pronoun Now there are they are forbidding us to get on the plane.
Speaker 3: I am with my son. He is twenty five pounds.
Speaker 7: I've been carried him for about thirty minutes. He denied us boarding priority, and now they're about to deny us to board the plane.
Speaker 4: We'll see what happens.
Speaker 5: The tyranny of thou shalt not question the agenda, Thou shalt not question the new religion.
Speaker 4: You will give in too compelled speech.
Speaker 5: You will use pronouns that you know do not actually belong to the gender that you know that person is.
Speaker 4: This woman was not allowed to board. She did not catch that flight, and she was stuck in the airport for hours with her.
Speaker 5: Baby and her seventy five year old mother until the United Airlines agreed to put her on a different flight, I'm assuming one without a trans hostess, and she finally made it home.
Speaker 3: Was how disgusting, I'm did she just accidentally say call her him or him her or they them, or did she actually say something that the.
Speaker 2: Flight attendant was a biological man in address and the lady here said to the flight attendant, thank you, sir, at which point another flight attendant said, she's in address, and the lady that we heard from said, you know what, I'm trying to get my child and my mother on the plane. I'm not really worried about trying to use correct pronouns. It wasn't delivered nothing, thank you sir.
Speaker 1: She was thrown off the aircraft.
Speaker 3: So it's kind of like when you jump into a taxi and after you finally hailed right down and you jump thanks mate, and then you look over and it's a woman driver.
Speaker 1: Next minute, and.
Speaker 3: So totally.
Speaker 2: But you know, maybe this explains why United are so firm on this. Have a look at United CEO Scott Kirby recently performing as part of a drag routine.
Speaker 1: So that explains why they were so triggered.
Speaker 3: Pronoun that's cultural appropriation, Like that's not even proper drag. That's like the end of season footy party's drag it up. No, no, they're not putting his effort into it. If you're gonna wear drag properly, you've got to at least like try to act and move and sing and talk like a woman like he just got on the full forward something from Melbourne.
Speaker 5: You know, I know that that is not his best drag, but certainly it does explain why you now have an entire airline that is literally enforcing this mac It's like you cannot even board a plane because you accidentally called someone sir. Now, the woman never denied or confirmed whether she'd intentional done it, but like you say, she was just like sorry, I'm just trying.
Speaker 4: To get everyone on board this plane.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to find our seats, etc. Not my first priority at the moment, and that got her thrown off. We talk about the thought police, we talk about compelled speech, freedom of speech. This is a hair raising case of you got one word wrong and you're thrown off a flight.
Speaker 2: And according to news reports, United initially said no, no, it was because you had excess luggage that we put you off the floor, and they denied it had anything to do with the misgendering. Only later did they agree to that. But the flight took off, leaving this mum and her child, all their bags and medication for the grandmother were all on the plane. That all disappeared and they were left standing there because, as you said, they refused to buy into the whole gender theory. Let's go to Victoria where there's going to be a debate over whether or not the Lord's Prayer should be said at the at the start of parliament. Now, aside from in the Act, every parliament around the country begins sitting days with the Lord's Prayer. And we all know what's happened to the Act since they stopped saying the prayer. In nineteen ninety or five decriminalized.
Speaker 1: We've been smitherowin Ice.
Speaker 2: You can decide whether there's any connection. But the Victorian Premier.
Speaker 1: Just sent to Allen.
Speaker 2: She said earlier this year that because of Victoria's diversity, they should look again at parliamentary traditions, i e. Whether they should continue with the Christian Lord's Prayer based on the fact that presumably there are so many new immigrants in the state. Leaving aside the fact that most new immigrants coming to Australia are highly religious people, many of them Christians, and a couple of labor MPs have set out the Lord's Prayer recently because they didn't like what the Pope said about surrogacy, which surprised me because I didn't realize when you pray the Lord's Prayer you're praying.
Speaker 1: To the Pope.
Speaker 2: I thought it was that, oh, yeah, to God. But anyway they're going to because.
Speaker 3: The Catholic Church's complicated.
Speaker 2: The Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne has organized a petition of over ten thousand people, which if presented to Parliament as it has been, means there must be a debate on the subject. So next month Parliamentarians in Victoria will debate whether or not the Lord's Prayer, which is a one hundred year tradition in this country, should continue to be.
Speaker 1: Said in the act. Is they got rid of the Lord's prayer? They have a moment of private reflection.
Speaker 3: It doesn't say you've done much to it.
Speaker 5: Firstly, I was surprised to learn that Victoria still had this. They keep trying the government and I'm kind of like, clearly it's not working anyway.
Speaker 4: So you know what, just dit shit.
Speaker 5: Because God's not fooled by a pile of godless people going through the motions means absolutely nothing to him. Okay, so unless you do mean it, you're wasting his time and your breath.
Speaker 3: I think you're wasting time though, how absolutely bare of any real problems or any sense of priority would you be to even consider this? Now I've worked, I've worked in partiment for many years' work news to have wild apartment for many years. The preer. No one notices the prayer. It's not being done during question time or a time when anyone is paying the remotest amount of attention to Parliament. It's a mere formality. People don't have to say it if they don't want to. They you know, some might sort of mumble at Most people don't even pay any attention to it. Most people probably aren't even in the Parliament at the time, and so you know, it means absolutely nothing to anyone. There might be some people in a department for whom it means a whole lot and they take it really seriously. But again for someone to just suddenly say, let's make this issue number one, and the Greens used to do this all the time in federal apartment. You know, I don't have any yarns here. Come back from the Christmas break, Oh we'll go to band the Lord's Prayer And that was and that was Richard di Natali, the most sensible Green wanted to do.
Speaker 2: It should bring a level of comfort that our politicians, before they make decisions, take a moment to acknowledge they are not the highest authority.
Speaker 4: But they're not acknowledging it.
Speaker 5: They don't mean it. They're not acknowledging it. Like I say, God's not do they acknowledge it or not?
Speaker 3: At least the words they've got to say something, they're not said by them.
Speaker 5: As as I used to work in wa Parliament, for many years and the same goes there.
Speaker 4: Well, people aren't actually praying.
Speaker 5: It, mag.
Speaker 3: But also I think, can I just make it clear though, I do actually think they should abolish it. I think they should abolish the Lord's prayer that they say in Parliament beginning and replace it with a Catholics Lord Prayer, which should have made all along, because they're seeing a botty Lord prayer in Parliament. Where that gets you? Ont purgatory, buddy, get out of it.
Speaker 4: We don't even believe in purgatory.
Speaker 5: God is waiting decision maker than that it's heaven or hell. Baby, you guys, there's a waiting room, and then you can.
Speaker 4: Still do some negotiation nonsense.
Speaker 1: We're going to continue the theological argument and the break.
Speaker 2: We're going to go to a break right now. But when we come back, we'll look at what's making news in tomorrow's papers. That's coming up in just a moment. All right, let's take a look at what's making headlines tomorrow, Liz, you kick it off for us.
Speaker 5: To the ANTENUS defending from above drones aircraft descend or Northern Territory. The first of all one billion Defense Force babies has arrived in the Northern Territory, Australia's first MQ four C Triton has arrived at the RUBAF base Tindall and ears in the process of being prepared for formal delivery to Defense. It comes as the Northern Territory prepares to host the biggest flying activity in Air Force history.
Speaker 4: In the twenty twenty four iteration of.
Speaker 5: Exercise pitch Black, whoever comes up with these names, well done. It sounds so epic. But look, unless we have drones. Unless we have drones, we're dead in the water. You guys must have seen the footage by now of the war in Ukraine where you've got drones taking out full on tanks, the little pee wee fifties.
Speaker 4: They look like toy helicopters.
Speaker 5: Tank warfare is over, it's done, it's dusted. And how long before those same drones can bring down a flip and aircraft if they can't already?
Speaker 4: Seriously, the warfare of the future drone will.
Speaker 3: Be fourd.
Speaker 10: Yeah it is.
Speaker 4: It is incredible.
Speaker 5: So I love getting excited about new defense presies, but at the same time, having seen the carnage that these drones can do, I'm just like, all you need is drones.
Speaker 2: Therones, the drones that the article speaks of US surveillance drones. I think we've got some footage to show them. They're worth a billion dollars each. But we will drones long range surveillance, particularly to the north of Australia. Well you know that's where the enemy would come from. And so those are the drones. But the ones you're speaking.
Speaker 1: Of, Liz, I want the blowing up one.
Speaker 2: Well, the Australian government has got in development those kinds of drones which.
Speaker 4: In development sounds like decades away.
Speaker 2: They can hop for thirty minutes with a lethal payload, and that they expect them to be delivered by the end of the year.
Speaker 1: Will get your lethal drones lives, don't I'm.
Speaker 5: Being serious guys, these things.
Speaker 4: Everything else is useless. Okay, we just need the firing drone.
Speaker 1: In the Red Sea.
Speaker 2: You've got the Houthi rebels using drones to attack warships.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, they can bring down ships.
Speaker 2: That I haven't seen one of the because we have no defense on our naval vessels against drones.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 3: We do have a defense white paper though so very held lots of submarines and so I was very body. Do you know, fun fact, do you know why Pearl Harbor happened? Or probably why One of the reasons why it happened.
Speaker 5: Because they met Ganks needed to join them war and they need no, no.
Speaker 3: No, it was not an inside job. I know you guys. Oh my gosh. Commander meant to be doing area surveillance look after and he thought it's just a waste of time, and so they just can't. They did take a very northerly route, so they went way out of where that came from. But the guy was just not sending planes in the air, so he was quite remorseful after that.
Speaker 1: Probably needed a coffee.
Speaker 3: They probably did need coffee, but not Peter mallanows because he's getting his check this out seven cups a day, says the front page of the Adelaide Advertiser. The premier's quote, shameful secret addiction to coffee. It's not secret anymore, is it made. It's out in the open in public again. Look what my name is, Peter, and I'm a coffee.
Speaker 2: That headache he's got it is not from a lack of coffee. It's from the hospital and ambulance ramping problem. That's headache.
Speaker 3: That is, that is one headache, But seven does seem a lot.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying coffee is a gateway drug. So what else is he on he's.
Speaker 3: Addicted to this, he'd be tapping the liptuns.
Speaker 6: I just.
Speaker 3: I'm serious.
Speaker 1: I'm just wondering.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, this is a journal, Joe. Do people appreciate stuff like this? On the front page of the paper when I mentioned the hospital system that's a massive controversy in South Australia, people are really yeah, they'll be all overund that the premiere on there talking about how much coffee he has.
Speaker 1: People look at that and think dud.
Speaker 3: Just the truth is, it's a very sad and difficult truth. But the truth is there is simply not enough news in Australia to stay. That's media in Australia, which.
Speaker 5: Is why the other half is a massive ad.
Speaker 3: That is why I started my own podcast because that was like the kind of name. But yeah, seven cups of that that does seem to me to be a lot. I'm like a two cup of days. I'm a two cup streamer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I barely have one to day. I always been a tea person.
Speaker 1: The worst part about it. Read the article.
Speaker 2: He goes on to blame his wife introducing him to and it's instant coffee too, which is I knew it.
Speaker 5: I've always thought that it is just place ebo and it only works on weak minds. You know, there's people who are like, oh, I can't function without my coffee.
Speaker 4: Think of the functioning my whole life without it?
Speaker 5: Like it seems to me more of a ritualistic thing that people.
Speaker 4: Do in the morning.
Speaker 3: That's real. Are you a morning person coffee? Do you get up out of bed? No? No, well maybe you should try coffee.
Speaker 2: That's kind The front page of the Herald Sun, the headline reads UNI's threat to protesters.
Speaker 1: This is interesting.
Speaker 2: I didn't think the unions were bothered by protesters at all.
Speaker 4: Melbourne, who knew you had it? En?
Speaker 2: Students from Fort Melbourne universities are facing expulsion after attending pro Palestinian protests. The University of Melbourne has issued academic misconduct notices to pro Palestine protesters who occupied a major arts building in May. Now That building was occupied for ten days, causing thousands of other students to have to have classes canceled or rescheduled. The University of Melbourne have sent an email on Wednesday to students involved in that protest. Email included CCTV stills then protesting in the building and dates for a misconduct hearing. So we'll wait to see just how serious the university is about that. Only ten students have been called out, but Monash, Deacon and Latrov Universities have apparently sent similar misconduct letters to students there.
Speaker 3: So never that was my university, Melbourne University when I was there as a young, rebellious rat bag student socialist.
Speaker 4: I'm very embarrassed went the universe.
Speaker 3: But they did, they did a similar thing I was. I was actually the I was the media. I think it was a media and police the aison officer for their last or the occupation they did in the nineteen nineties when I then operated the admin building occupied the admin building it's called the Redmond Barry Building, and I wasn't particularly particularly persuaded by that way to go. And then I noticed them started they started just like ripping up books and files and paper and they started throwing stuff out that you know, I'm like, are we like just kind of burning books? Now? Is this? Where?
Speaker 4: Is this?
Speaker 3: Where?
Speaker 4: What were they trying to achieve by this.
Speaker 3: What was that they were opposed to either voluntary student unions or upfront fees or both.
Speaker 2: It was always one of the the cost of living and supermarket price gouging.
Speaker 3: And genocide and supermarket price gouges.
Speaker 2: That annoyed me most about these university protests is they happened in America. First, we all watched it on our TV screens, everybody, Mark Scott at Sydney University, all the vice chancellors at the Melbourne universities, they all saw what was going to happen. We watched it in America, and then they sat back and did nothing.
Speaker 1: All the whole thing played out here.
Speaker 3: It wasn't quite like like I know Mark Scott and I know that the team at Sydney and it wasn't It wasn't that they didn't want to do anything, or that they approved or anything like that. It was more sort of they need firstly, they needed to like with Melbourne unything right that you basically needed a reason to move them.
Speaker 1: They need definition.
Speaker 3: Well, that's right, and we actually asked for one, I know. And it's hard and again because you've got people say we all know what rip from the river to the sea means and how that might intimidate a Jewish person, but again proving that in the court of law you wanted to hurt this person is.
Speaker 1: In the court of law, they have a code of conduct, so they have.
Speaker 3: A code of kind of that's right, but even arguing that the bridge god to conduct, which is why Melbourne Universe has been able to act, because they obstructed other students from learning, physically obstructed other students from learning and going about their business, so they didn't get The encampment made people feel very uncomfortable, but it didn't actually obstructive.
Speaker 2: People from going to class because they couldn't go through there without being harassed.
Speaker 3: That's right, well, but not as explicitly as occupying an actual building, So I gave them firm grounds anyway, with the encampment, I believe what they've done. I hope this is not exclusive. I'm letting out of the bag. But they've now booted them off because they're disrupting planned activities in where they were. So the Union basically said, we're planning on doing this thing here, you are now obstructing that. There you go alcapar and tax evasion off.
Speaker 2: By the way, common our little committee and help us decide who we give grants to and why we do deals with.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we're going to go to a break when we come back.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump trolling Joe Biden ahead of tomorrow's presidential debate.
Speaker 1: It's pretty good. We'll show you in a second.
Speaker 2: Well, the first US presidential debate is on tomorrow. You can watch it on Sky News at eleven am. Donald Trump posted a great video on his social media today outlining the difference that the two presidents have and the choice that Americans will have to make.
Speaker 1: Have a look at this.
Speaker 2: Never before has a simple video Joe speak, such a massive difference between two men.
Speaker 1: That's your choice right there.
Speaker 3: I know, but come on, like Joe Bine, he fell down those stairs like yongs Ago. Can't they get a more recent pick of him falling down the stairs?
Speaker 5: Well, so many they couldn't do the whole mash up, though there was a time for it. It's an act to make it as short as possible.
Speaker 3: They're an amazing thing. I don't know if you've said on light, but if you put Donald Trump talking against the Seinfeld soundtrack, it's just amazing stand up comedy does amazing thing. I don't like those little you know, there's got this cardboard straws anymore, and you tried to put them in having to the plastic straws. There was so much.
Speaker 1: Do thing I love.
Speaker 3: That's the greatest show.
Speaker 1: No words required.
Speaker 4: Those two images thic silence, not even a one.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump, he can walk.
Speaker 5: CNN will be hosting this debate, which most people on Trump's side is having a bit of a laugh about, because we know them to be the mainstream media, the fake news, the perpetrators of a pile of sludge, regarding him as much as they can manufacture, and yet all the terms have been set by the Biden administration. He is an AI video. To be clear, this is a spoof of Jake Tapper of CNN explaining the rules of tomorrow's debate.
Speaker 10: I'd like to set the ground rules to this debate. First off, Biden is allowed to speak whenever he wishes. We will have commercial breaks whenever Biden feels the urge so that his needs can be taken care of. This may or may not include naps, energy boosts.
Speaker 1: Or a snack such as ice cream.
Speaker 10: On the other hand, Trump is not allowed to speak unless spoken to and if he interrupts, Joe speaking, We're automatically going to deduct ten points from Trump and Door. As the hall moderator of this debate, I can call it off at any moment and declare it a complete victory for Biden. Where did Trump go?
Speaker 3: He was just clear?
Speaker 4: The best thing I saw on the internet today.
Speaker 5: I mean, everyone knows it's not rigged, but it already is. I'm convinced we're going to see the Manhattan Project of pharmaceutical stimulants on full display show.
Speaker 1: As I said, you can watch at eleven am tomorrow on Sky. That's it from us. The ground. Coming up is the Reader Penney Show.