Speaker 1: I was essentially marinating my face in hair products every night and sleeping on a dirty pillow and that had washing ingredients in it that are also going to break me out. So you bet my face was a pizza. You see how things add up, And that's what I'm trying to say, like it's usually a storm of things that is causing your acne. Hello, guys, and welcome back to Stepping Up. Today's episode is one that I don't know. I feel like is very close to my heart because it's something I've struggled with for a long time, and I honestly wish everything I'm about to cover in this episode, I wish I knew a lot a long long time ago, because it would have saved me a lot of pain and heartache and also money. To be honest with you now, disclaimer, As you guys know, I'm not a dermatologist, I'm not an esthetician, whatever you want to call it. I'm not those things. But I am someone who has struggled with adult acne for a long time, for at least about a decade, and there's some things, you know, I've done so much research and I've tried and tested, and I've also you know, learned a lot of things along the way.
Speaker 2: And these are not.
Speaker 1: Only things that work for me, but also things that are backed by science and also people also, like you know, people like dermatoptologists do share. And again I'm not saying that what I'm going to go through here is going to work for everybody, but usually help a lot.
Speaker 2: So if you, if you, if.
Speaker 1: You get what I'm putting down here, So yes, this chances are if you're listening to this episode as well, you very much know the pain of having acne, adult acne and just the toll it takes on your confidence but also your mental health, Like it just sucks, like having to try and put makeup over really painful acne and cysts are just it's not nice. It's not a nice feeling. And it's your face, Like you're allowed to be self conscious of your face because we're humans, and it's a goddamn face. And you know, you I'll see beautiful girls out, you know, out public with no makeup on and they've got some acne and they still look so so beautiful. But I'm not going to sit here and tell you or just to embrace it. And you know, it is what it.
Speaker 2: Is because I get it, bloody get it.
Speaker 1: By the end of this episode, you are going to learn a lot more about, you know, the causes of acne in adults and women, but even learn about a lot of the causes of acne that you would never even think were a thing. Like again, if I knew these things, I'm like, it makes so much sense now to me because I know the things. But I didn't always know these things, and it was a really painful journey to get to where I am now.
Speaker 2: Now. The reason I'm recording this episode is because you.
Speaker 1: Know, I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars trying to clear up my skin, and I want to give you some backstory soon because I wasn't. I didn't always have painful, cystic, hormonal acne. But you know, I've tried everything to fix my skin. I've tried skin clinics. I've tried facials, I've tried peels, I've tried prescriptions like even drug I've tried rectain anty biotics, I've tried expensive skincare, I've tried cheap skin care. You know, basically, if anything or anyone promised me clear skin, I've tried it.
Speaker 2: I've done the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And the reason I record this episode today is because obviously I'm doing the Doable Glow Up series, which there is this part in there about skin care, so you can kind of say this is part of that, but it's kind of.
Speaker 2: Not as well.
Speaker 1: But it's because a few weeks ago I started breaking out again, and I remember like waking up and looking in the mirror and being like, hell no, not this again.
Speaker 2: I was like, absolutely not this. I decline.
Speaker 1: Decline because you know, if you've ever really struggled with acnea before and you've cleared it up, and then as soon as you get one more pimple it pops up. It could be for any reason. You spiral pretty fast and pretty hard. Because it is it's triggering. It is very very triggering, you know, only you'd be like, what have I done?
Speaker 2: What have I changed?
Speaker 1: How do my skin get back here? And the weird thing is like, for me in this circumstances, I didn't change my skin care. You know, I hadn't changed anything I was putting on my face or a few of the other things I want to take you guys through.
Speaker 2: But then I realized what it was causing it. This time, and it was a very very simple fix that you're well, you won't.
Speaker 1: Even believe the fix, but once you understand it, you'll be like, Okay, it makes sense. So this episode is for you if you have also struggled with adult acne and it comes and goes. If you've you're currently really struggling with it. So if you're currently struggling with it and you've tried everything, you know, you maybe you've also spent a lot of money, especially been on TikTok just spiral and trying to figure out how the hell do I clear up my acne and nothing's working.
Speaker 2: And if you're sick of hearing people say just drink more water, like no, Barbara, that doesn't work. Like it's okay. Look, it does contribute.
Speaker 1: It's very important, but there's a lot more factors that go into it, especially when you're a female, especially when hormones come into play and other things.
Speaker 2: I want to go through.
Speaker 1: So today I want to be sharing with you guys my story of my acne from like you know, I want to recap on the teenagers and how I got to be someone that had really bad systic acne the year of her wedding and it was insanely stressful. What actually made the biggest difference for me and the things I do whenever I start to have a breakout again, what causes it and how I fix it fast, and also why I still break out occasionally, And then the weird things that no one else really talks about, even, like the things that are quite simple to help you with your acne that I feel like not enough people talk about it all, and the simple things, and now my simple routine that I do to keep my skin under control most of the time if I'm not stupid, and then do the things I'm about.
Speaker 2: To tell you now.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to even give you guys life update because I feel like that was kind of part of the intro how I've been breaking out again, So let's just get into it now.
Speaker 2: My acne story.
Speaker 1: So, as a teenager, I was pretty pretty much like everyone else, like we'd all get like pimples here and there. I'd get little bumps at my forehead, but it wasn't really like, it wasn't shocking. There were definitely times for me. I remember, I think I was sixteen, I got a lot of acne on my forehead that was not a good time. It wasn't fun, and I found back then a lot of the time was when I was having too much dairy. I remember coming home from school and just sculling milk. I don't know why, a bit random, but that's what I did. And I felt like as soon as I kind of cut that out, it did help, but I was still getting it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I used what's it called, oh, proactive, proactive, and it would bleach my bloody pillow cases, bleach the towels. I'd get in trouble, you know, like we were just like we've always I think our generation too, we were very much like brought up with the with the proactive. So for us, as soon as we get breakouts, we go hard and we just go out our skins so hard, and that is literally the worst thing you can do. And it doesn't you just want to like dry them out. Like I even remember like hoping I got some burnt sometimes so I'd burn my pimples off my face.
Speaker 2: Like that's not what we want to do.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it is like it kind of feels like second nature for us, for our generation at least, for when we get a pimple, we want to burn it with something, you know, like whether it's like an exfoliant or some crazy bloody cream that's like productive, that's basically bleach. And then I will tell you in this episode why that's yeah, the worst.
Speaker 2: Thing you can do now.
Speaker 1: Luckily enough, after high school and my period kind of settled down a little bit because I got my period late too, but my skin was pretty good, like, it wasn't too bad. I was still very self conscious of my skin.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I think because I did have that little bit of acne. When I was sixteen, I would wear this freakin thick it was literally it was literally made to cover up tattoos, and I would wear it on my face. And it's so sad because I look back and I actually had beautiful skin at that time, you know. Luckily enough, from like eighteen to maybe twenty, I think it was my skin was good, like, was pretty decent. And then what I did was I when I moved out of home, right, I moved out at eighteen, and growing up, I didn't have a whole lot of food in the house, so it was pretty hungry, you know, not great, but when you move out of home, it's like it was like a smallest board, Like I just wanted to eat anything and everything, and from that I gained twenty five kilos in a year. Now, surprisingly, I was, you know, eating a lot of junk, a lot of early food, and I didn't really break out that much then, like I would hear in there, but it wasn't shocking, which is kind of weird. But what happened was I lost the weight in a like healthy way. But then I went too far and I decided to do like bodybuilding competition. So if you ever seen the girls I go on stage in the bikinis and they're really really ten and they got the heels. I did that for like two years, lost my period. Yeah, so when you do these things, you need to get really lean. And when women for under twelve percent body fat, we lose our period because our body is like we are not safe enough to make a baby. We need more fat than this.
Speaker 2: It stops.
Speaker 1: And when your periods stopped for two years, you could imagine how it came back with an absolute vengeance. Once it came back, once I put some weight back on, it was not a good time. My skin was horrific, Like I can't I get emotionally been talking about it, like it was so painful to touch, Like it was the deep cystic acne, and it was all over my cheeks and my jaw, on my chin hormones, you know, and I just was like, holy shit. And Ryan and I we were getting married that year in September, and so I spent thousands of dollars. I was desperate, just so desperate. And I'm also trying to save up for a wedding as well. Mind you you know, I was working multiple jobs at that time. I was at the gym and then doing my makeup business on the weekend, and you know, I was just desperate, Like I was going to be getting married. I didn't want to have like acne on my wedding day because even the horrible thing about acne is too likes you can cover the redness, but you can't fix texture. You can see the bumps, especially in certain lights. I remember I would avoid certain lighting when my skin was that bad because I was so ashamed of it and it was just so painful. There was so many mornings I'd wake up and put makeup on and it was that painful to put on. I would just cry, and it was horrible and it was really really horrible. And that was all because yeah, like I was, it was because of the hormones, like they were just absolutely cooked. So I got that just But I tried antibiotics. You can get certain antibotics that more for like acne. That worked a little bit. It helped a little bit, but there's still every time i'd hop off of them that it would come back. So I went on Rachu tane. Yeah, and I really didn't want to have to go on that, but it did work.
Speaker 2: It dried the crap.
Speaker 1: Out of me, like my skin everything, and had like side effects because you can get side effects of depression and things. So it was that this is like the last resort type of thing, like and honestly, if I just knew what I know now, it would have really really helped, you know. I went to the dermatologist everything they were like, yeah, you need to go and racutine. So it was like dire's situation. But look, wedding day skin was clear, Thank the Lord.
Speaker 2: So it is what it is. But again I would I went off of it.
Speaker 1: I think I was on it for nearly a year and then when I got off of it and my skin stayed clear for maybe another couple of years and then it came back again. Now it wasn't like I wouldn't have It's hard to say that it was as bad as it was. It was bad, but I can't remember it was exactly as bad as what it was before. And again my confidence took a hit. It's it's not what you want, you know. And I remember it was on and off up until and I remember like hitting thirty and being like are we done yet?
Speaker 2: Like is this over?
Speaker 1: And the time my skin was at its best was actually when I went to a natural path and really focused on my gut health. And it's very much true that your skin has a huge tie to your gut. If you've got sluggish digestion and poor digestion and things like that, you will see it in your skin. So things like if you're eating too fast, not eating enough all that. I'll get into that soon. But when I was following a proper protocol with my natural path, my.
Speaker 2: Skin looked amazing. It was it was good, you know. And the thing with my skin type is I'm an oily girl.
Speaker 1: Like I'm a very oily skin person, which is great for like anti aging, Like it is good to have oily skin for that.
Speaker 2: But this also means my paws get clogged very very easily.
Speaker 1: So if I don't wash my makeup off properly anything like that. It's like there's a lot of products I can't use which I didn't know about, and I'll talk to you about that soon. But there's a lot of products I can't use because I will break out because of the poor clogging ingredients. Hot tip number one. So for me, I am always before I buy anything anything, I.
Speaker 2: Will be looking into the ingredients. You bet you now.
Speaker 1: The big lesson here is adult acne is usually a stacking problem. Sometimes it can just be one thing. It could be a product you're using, and I'll tell you how to find out what products to use and stuff soon.
Speaker 2: But usually it.
Speaker 1: Can be a combination of things. And it's like putting gasoline on the fire. So now when I do break out like I have recently, instead of asking what's causing my acne, I ask what have I changed? What has changed in my life for my acne to come back? Because you bet there will be something that you're either using or doing that is causing it.
Speaker 2: And it does.
Speaker 1: It usually feels like it's out of our control. But once you learn these things I'm about to take you through, you'll understand.
Speaker 2: Once you get.
Speaker 1: These like what can affect your acne, you're going to actually understand it so much better and you'll be able to look at what you're doing now and be like, oh, I get it. You know now the first thing that can cause adult acne is poor clogging ingredients. Now, this step alone, on its own, even if you're doing other things that aren't great and you're getting acne from it, this step alone will help so incredibly much, Like I cannot tell you now.
Speaker 2: I remember it was a few years ago. I was listening to a.
Speaker 1: Podcast and it was like the bread was called Clear Stems, so it's like an American brand, it's like an acne brand. And I was listening to this podcast and they basically explained why certain products will break you out and like basically poor cloggers and what they do and what they are. So basically there's a list of ingredients that is in a lot of cosmetics, in a lot of skin care, in a lot of hair care, which yes, that counts to I'll let you know, that will clog your paws, that has potential to clog your paws. Now, if you're someone like me who has oily skin and I do get clogged paws quite easily, it's a.
Speaker 2: Big no no. It's a no no, you know.
Speaker 1: And then there's people like my cousin Sammy, Like she's got drier skin, so for her usually.
Speaker 2: It's not this.
Speaker 1: But I'm not saying this is again like everyone's different, but for her usually it's like more of a hormonal, stressed type of thing, or a sugar balance thing, which I'll talk about. But for me, this is so important and for anyone if you break out, I want you to pull everything out of your drawers and your cover and out of your shower and you're going to start.
Speaker 2: Checking for poor cloggers.
Speaker 1: Now there's a huge list of ingredients, and I'm not going to tell you to remember these, like I remember a lot now if by heart. So if I'm at Priceline or something, I'm quickly having a look. If I see a few things, I'll put it straight back, like if it se this coconut oil. If there's different type of alcohols, there's like certain like heavy esters and butters like shade butter.
Speaker 2: That's a no, that's a hard no.
Speaker 1: For me, and they are in a lot of different things, and it doesn't mean that these ingredients are bad and it doesn't mean they're going to break everyone out. And there is other ingredients that aren't technically poor cloggers, which I'll get into, that potentially can be breaking you out as well. So things like products with fragrance in them. Now that's going to relate to your skin barrier, which I'll talk about next, but there is going to be other types of things, usually fragrance that can also break you out, or even things that are like film, like film coating products. So a lot of things that are in primers you need to be careful with as well. But there's a there's a hack for this, and I'll help you. So, for example, I listened to this podcast and then I went home and I.
Speaker 2: Went through all the things I was using.
Speaker 1: I pulled out all my skincare, pulled out all my makeup, I pulled out my hair care. Because yes, if you were someone that breaks out on their cheeks and you sleep with your hair out, chances are your hair conditioner has poor clogging ingredients in it, and then you're sleeping on your hair for about eight hours a night. You bet you're going to break out. And there's even we're going to also be looking at our washing powders, because yes, our washing powders can also you know, clog our paws, which was what was happening to me recently and I had to switch because I didn't realize that the washing powder I recently got a couple months ago caused me breakouts.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, good times, good times.
Speaker 1: So all you have to do is grab all your ingredients out and if the ingredients are on the back, take a photo.
Speaker 2: You can literally chuck it into chat.
Speaker 1: YOUBT and just say hey, is this got poor clogging ingredients or acne triggers? But another good way to do it. There's a lot of like poor clogging calculators online. I would probably even love to if I managed to build you guys one in this episode. I will link it below because I can build you one because I'm a little coding AI nerd now, which is another episode, but just look up poor clogging. It's called poor clogging calculator, poor clogging checkers. There's one on clear Stem. There's a few different ones and you just copy and paste, make sure you get the full ingredients list, copy paste it in there and it will tell you if it's safe or not. Now I want you to also do your hair care because again that can be breaking you out around your temples, on your cheeks, like even on your back and things like that. Check those your body wash if you get body acne. For me, I tend not to get body acne, but I can get a couple of pimples on like the top of my back, and usually that was with me if I don't wash out my conditioner enough. So I'll usually wash my hair and then I'll like cleanse my back in the showers because I go to the gym and sometimes if I leave my crop top on for a few hours, I can break out from that too. Yeah, so it's just happen, like just being a bit extra careful. So go through everything. Now this leads me to the next point, which is your skin barrier. So now for some of us, naturally when we get acne, we want to burn the.
Speaker 2: Crap out of it, like I said, so we'll put actives on it.
Speaker 1: But the thing is when you are putting a lot of harsh ingredients on your skin, especially when your skin isn't.
Speaker 2: Used to it. This is where you can destroy your skin barrier.
Speaker 1: Now, your skin barrier is the outermost layer of your skin, and it acts as your body's personal shield, so it locks in moisture, it keeps your skin hydrated while there's like toxins and pollution and everything out in the outside air. When this gets damaged, you will notice rough texture. You can get really dry flaking. You can even get stinging, itching or inflammation, so like very red. I get very red around my nose when I have a broken skin barrier and very textured skin. And you can also get brakes. Like for me, that's usually a sign that I've gone too hard. So whenever you get a breakout, instead of focusing on you know, like usually acne products are usually the worst for this time, you want to focus on skin barrier protection, so you know there's things out there like and also you've got to still be checking for poor cloggers because unfortunately this is the double edged sword. Usually products that are great for your skin barrier have a lot.
Speaker 2: Of poor cloggers in them. So I use things i've got.
Speaker 1: I've got the AVENE B five serum B five is very good for your skin barrier. Things like nicicinamide is great for people with oily skin and also texture and acne. So just look, but I just remember you need a test, so like, not everyone can use nic cinemid, you know what I mean. So just again, I'm not a dermatologist, so just try things like introduce them slowly, try them a little bit on the jaw line, and make.
Speaker 2: Sure you don't have a reaction.
Speaker 1: And yeah, just you don't want to be blasting your skin with actives when you're in this phase. Like and this is also what happens during your ludial phase. You naturally do produce more oil. So for me, this is a perfect storm to have more clogged paws which turn into acne. If you guys didn't realize that that's usually how acne starts is as as a clogged paw. So if I don't wash my makeup off properly, and if I'm if I'm skipping some of these things that are going into the rest the episode, you bet I'm going to break out because again and your skin barrier is more like fragile at this time as well. So for me, during the rest of my period, I will use certain actives on certain nights and but during my ludi your phase, I'm focusing on my skin barrier and just keeping sure, like making sure that that's okay.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, Because that is because.
Speaker 1: As soon as you decide to use actives, like especially too many actives, which is what we tend to do during our ludial phase because we're oily and we feel yuck, so we go a bit harder. And that's what it's like. It's fun, it's shit, it's shit, but once you work out, But okay, around for me day eighteen, I know, okay, I need to not use Like I have two cleanses. I've got a gentle cleanser and I've got a more like harsh, not a harsh cleanser, but it's a more complex cleanser. I'll stop using the complex one and just stay to my gentle one, and I'll stop using actives for that week. Like I won't even do my selicylic acid spot treatments. I won't do a zelic acid azalic acid. I don't even know how to say it. I am really really careful with what I'm using on my skin. No, sir, I do use a zealic acid. Yeah, I won't use Sorry, I won't use my retinol, I won't use my acids or anything like that. I will keep up with my azealic acid, azelic acid, azalic acid. I don't know how to say it, but that's a really good one, by the way, and it's gentle. So yeah, it's just kind of you need to kind of cycle sync your skin care as well and just know, like different times of your period is what like, this is what's happening with my skin. So it is really good even for you to like jump on and do a bit of research. And I can talk more about like my skin care cycle sinking in another episode if you guys want so, just be yeah, let's not go crazy on the skin barrower.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like we want to be careful with it. Now.
Speaker 1: The next thing is making sure again that you've got a safe washing powder, but also that you're changing your pillowcases now. As you know, while we sleep, our face is pressed against this material for like eight to nine hours if you're lucky, and if you know, if you're using a washing powder that isn't you know, safe for acne skin, you're going to get breakouts. And if that pillowcase is Also, you know we sweat in during our sleep, you know, got dead skin cells.
Speaker 2: It's pretty gross.
Speaker 1: That's gonna also create acne, especially in your luteal phase just before your period.
Speaker 2: You bet you, you bet ya.
Speaker 1: So what I like to do is I like to keep a couple of pillowcases in like my bedside draw and I just try and remind myself on like Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, they're the days I will switch out my pill case. Even if I do it like twice a week, it really does help. So try and set like a reminder on your phone. It is really worth trying out because you know, and for you, it might not even be what's causing the breakout. It could be, you know, your skin care. It could be your hair care. You might be someone that you know, like if you sleep with your hair tied back, your hair care is not going to matter. But it's all about eliminating and then you can try and reach like bring things back in in terms of like hair care. But chances are if there's poor coggers, it's just better.
Speaker 2: Just not to play with fire. Let's not play with fire.
Speaker 1: I just want to go back to the hair care for a second, because I also want to just clarify what I mean by that. I'm talking like heavy oils, like you're thick leaving conditioners. I'm talking your conditioners, voluarizing products, and even certain hair sprays. I just want you to just check all of those ingredients because you know you're going to get breakouts on your forehead, on your cheeks, and like it's just gonna it is going to create acne if you're very acne prime, I was essentially marinating my face in hair products every night and sleeping on a dirty pillow and that had also that had washing power ingredients in it that are also going to break me out. So you bet my face was a pizza. You see how things add up, And that's what I'm trying to say, Like it's usually a storm of things that is causing your acne. Now, the next thing that can cause acne is inflammation. Now this is in a different few different areas of your life. It can be lack of sleep, it can be stress, it can be your blood sugar levels, which is what was causing my acne recently. But we'll break it into that, like usually your skin will know you're burnt out before you do you will notice signs and it could be like, and this is where we need to really like look at our habits and our life and be like, what am I doing differently? It could literally even be like you're not doing enough steps, so then therefore your digestion is sluggish. Therefore you're going to get breakouts, you know what I mean. And I'm not saying you have to have all of these under wraps all the time, because things like stress we can't really always control. But if you are even just making sure you're not using poor clogging ingredients, your haircare hasn't got crap in it, you're changing your pillowcase, and even like maybe cutting out alcohol or whatelse like some other things like that, you're giving your skin the best possible chance and not getting that extra clogged Paul, you know what I mean. Now, I'm going to reveal to you what was causing my acne recently. And I realized that I had stopped having my heavy like my protein breakfast the last week and a half. Now I know, I literally just spoke about this on the Doable blo up and it's one of my non negotiables. But you see, in the mornings, I have been getting up pretty early, and I go to the gym early, and I usually don't feel like eating a lot. And I also like, I'm not going to get the blender out. I don't want to wake the kids up. And my breakfast smoothies are like nearly fifty grams of protein, which is wild and they're so good, which I'll tell you what they are in a minute if you like. But I realized I was getting like this little protein bake bar. Now to me, I was like, this is fine, it's protein. But I also went against my own rule because I'm human and that's.
Speaker 2: What we do.
Speaker 1: So instead of having my thirty grams of protein before I touch caffeine, I was having five grams of protein and simple carbs, and I was having coffee and going to the gym. And also I'm still on my ADHD medication, which I've knocked right down, but I'm still taking that. So you can imagine I'm not having enough protein and then I'm having stimulant stimulant working out. Yeah, so my blood sugars were all over the place, you know, and your blood sugar when you're safe, you're like not eating enough protein and then you're maybe having simple carbs or having too much sugar, your blood sugar is going to spike, and that spike causes your body to create more produce more hormones, and it also creates more oil in your.
Speaker 2: Skin and in your hair.
Speaker 1: My hair lately has been so oily as well, and my skin's been very early. It's been like I'm in my lude to your phase but all the time.
Speaker 2: And then I was like, oh, that's what I've been doing differently, because.
Speaker 1: Soon as I have my thirty grams of protein at breakfast before my coffee, that helps my blood sugars for the day. And obviously you need to be eating every three hours. But that was that was where I was failing. And my acne was all along my drawer line and like along my neck, and that is what your hormones do, and that it just it made perfect sense. So for me, yes, my skincare was under control and it was doing its best. Like the skincare was carrying the team at this point, because if I hadn't, if I was using poor cloggers as well, you bet my face would have been a mess at this point. So when it comes to like reducing inflammation, obviously it's prioritizing protein. It is drinking enough water, but there's also things you can do to help with that. And this comes down to taking your amega threes, so your fatty acids. So I'll be making sure I'm having my fish oil because omega three fats help support healthy inflammatory pathways. And there's also research that proves that things like fish oil actually does help with acne. Now the things I will prioritize when I have breakouts again, I will look at my routine and be like, what have I changed? But I will prioritize my fish oil, my fatty fish So I even I just had salmon before I recorded this podcast. My protein, my sleep, and my stress management. I know it's super basic, but it's very effective. So just a quick recap your skin.
Speaker 2: What we're gonna do.
Speaker 1: You're gonna check all your skin care products or your hair care products. You're gonna check your washing powder to find it. If your washing powder is okay, just again jump on and chat ABT whatever. Or you can just check the ingredients. You can literally ask it like what causes it? The best products in washing powder to look for is the sensitive ones. Go for anything that usually says sensitive is you'll be fine and go for fragrance free as well. I just avoid fragrance in most of my skin care now because your fragrance also can really affect your skin barrier.
Speaker 2: Things like that lot alcohol.
Speaker 1: So while you know you can use these poor clogging calculators and stuff, but if there's other ingredients in there, like fragrances and certain essential oils, that can also affect your skin barrier. And when your skin barrier is compromised, therefore you get a breakout to see where it like, it gets complex. But this is the shit that no one teaches us. I just have to figure it out for myself after.
Speaker 2: Using all my money.
Speaker 1: Now, just a reminder to you, this also counts for fate tan and with fake tan there's obviously the dha in ten that creates the color, but that also can really dry your skin out and again wreck your skin barrier.
Speaker 2: Do you see where I'm going with this. We want to love our skin barrier.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I know I only use Eco tan now. It's a really good face tan. I find like it does have some oils in it, but my face seems fine, so just test it out. I think Tenologist face drops are pretty good from memory and you put it with a moisturizer. But again, you really want to focus on, you know, having your skin barrier care. So I use the AVN B five serum. There's other things out there you can use, obviously using your hyaluronic acid if you're allowed to. Again, again, I'm not a dermatologist. You need to test this stuff on yourself. Okay, So, but this is just for if you don't really have sensitive skin. And it's funny because I never thought I did have sensitive skin because I usually can use you know, retinol and things like that, and I introduce them fine. But it's when I'm not when I'm overdoing it, that's when my skin barrier is not happy with me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so make sure with your fake tan.
Speaker 1: I will fake tann my body and I don't tend to get breakouts on my body, but I'll use my eco tan on my face, but I won't put it on like I won't put the fake tan from my body on my face anymore. Now, the next thing that can really be impacting your acne is overdoing the skin care. So whilst there is a lot of things out there that are poor clogging safe, they're not poor coggers. There's a lot of serums, there's a lot of creams, there's a lot of things going on. But if you're using a lot of a lot of products at once, it's a bit much for the skin sometimes. So it really is like go simple, like you'll fine, your skin will thrive and look amazing when you're really doing basic stuff and you're not using all the fancy creams that look good on TikTok, you're using boring shit from like chemist warehouse that is literally just the ingredient that we want, which is like hyaluronic acid from the ordinary, and that's.
Speaker 2: All it is.
Speaker 1: Like, so just really simplify your skin care and also just ask yourself why am I using this?
Speaker 2: So with me, with time, I might introduce a new product. So lately I've started using azelic acid. Now. I started using this because I saw it. It was it's literally perfect for acne.
Speaker 1: It's got your bacteri fighting ingredients in there, but it's very gentle. So I started using that and I've actually been loving it. But even with that is there's a lot of different products with zelic acid in there, a zalic acid, whatever you say it, but I bought one that had a low amount of that, because you want to introduce things slowly, so you don't want to go like full onto retinol that's like the strongest one. You want to start with retinow or you know, even start with just an exfoliator like salicilic acid.
Speaker 2: And only use that like maybe once a week, and only on the areas that you break out.
Speaker 1: Because for me, like I was also trying to use salicelic acid, but what I was doing, I was putting on my whole face and my face didn't like that. Yeah, it helped spots it, but then my skin barrier got compromised, and I would be able to tell that because I could tell all my skin looking textured. It just it was dry, it was stingy. So you just really need to test things out for yourself. But start simple. All you really need is a good cleanser, a gentle cleanser. It's poor, cooking safe. Some people with acne can use oil cleanses, but for me, I can't. I will break out no matter what, So I use a gentle oil cleanser. I think it's a serave one or serav whatever it's called. I use my nicinamide toner water stuff, so it's even that's a very low amount of nicinamide.
Speaker 2: Which is good for oil, it's good for like texture.
Speaker 1: And stuff like that. And then I use my exilic acid. Again just remember, guys, this is my routine, not everyone's. And then I use my hyaluronic acid, and then I use a gel moisturize. I don't use like a cream oisturizer or anymore.
Speaker 2: I use a gel.
Speaker 1: And then I'll chuck my eco tan on top every few days to make my face ten. And that's literally my routine. And then at night, my night routine is literally the same, but some nights I will swap out these zelic acid for like my retinol or for salicilic acid like spot treatment, and that's literally it.
Speaker 2: And again when it gets to my.
Speaker 1: Ludinal phase, I go back to basics. And I'm also the most important thing here is using SBF. Now I'm saying this obviously from a sun protection standpoint and anti aging, but also if you're not using SPF, it's not protecting your skin from everything else that's going on out there, even if you're inside, and it makes your texture look it can make your acne scarring worse. It will like literally make everything take longer to heal.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh so I also use vitamin C.
Speaker 1: So again this is me years and years of like testing things out slowly, and even then I am still you know, trialing things. But just be simple if you can start, Like for me when I first started, I did a cleanser, I did a serum, I did a moisturize, and I did SBF and that was it. I don't even use I cream anymore, guys. Like, when you find the things that work that your skin likes, you don't need to use much. So I know there was a lot of information in this, and again I'm gonna like, if I can make you, guys, a poor clogging calculator or an acne trigger calculator that has both in it, like also talks about fragrance and stuff in it, I will make that for you and I'll put it below, and if not, I'll give you links below to some good like poor clogging checkers that you can use online that I've been using before. But please, just you know, check your skin care, check your haircare, check your washing powder, you know, make sure you're eating enough protein literally even just having if you can start anywhere, it's having thirty grams of protein in the morning before coffee and you will notice a difference and adult acne like it is. It really is just the perfect storm for us females. It is just hormones and stress and things that we're putting on our skin and in our hair that we don't even realize are pouring gasoline on the fire.
Speaker 2: Anyways, if you want me.
Speaker 1: To go, like do a deeper dive into my full like routines and stuff like that with my skin, even like what I do with micro needling and stuff, let me know, because obviously acne is one thing, but then it also leaves you with scarring, so I've had to deal with that too.
Speaker 2: But anyways, I love you guys. I hope this helped, and I will talk to you on Monday, babe,