Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Tuesday October twenty eight, twenty twenty five. Secret squirdle anticks about the government's net zero goals with a fight between the Senate and Climate Change Minister Chris Bowen's department. The bureaucrats will release a hefty brief about the plans, but it'll be heavily redacted. A memoir by former ABC chair itebytros goes deep on her adventures in the media, but iters skipped the most embarrassing chapter of all, the matter of sacked radio presenter Antoinette Latoufe, which costs the ABC a heavy penalty and a heavy dose of public humiliation. So what is in items book? Literary editor Caroline Overington has all the details right now at the Australian dot com dot AU. A grainy photo of a dapper looking gentleman. Is this the terrorist who's responsible for striking horror into Australia's Jewish community? Israeli's spy agency Mossad, says a senior officer in Iran's ultra elite Kudz force named Sadhah Ahmar is the mastermind of two attacks in Sydney and Melbourne. So what is Kuds Force and who is Suddha Amar? That's today's episode. In twenty twenty four, as Australia's Jewish community tried to grapple with a rise in anti Semitic graffiti and protests and the deplatforming of Jewish artists and creatives, things suddenly seemed to kick into another gear. Background. It was four o'clock this morning when Lewis's Continental Kitchen caught fire. This is on Kerl Lewis Street here in Bondi. Melbourne's Jewish community is in shock after a fire bomb attack on one of australias busiest synagogues.
Speaker 2: Worshipers reigned for their lives as a sanctuary built by Holocaust survivors sixty years ago was destroyed.
Speaker 1: Serious frightening violence. A synagogue burned to the ground, a Jewish restaurant torch. In august Australia's security boss ASIO Director General Mike Burgess said they identified the Iranian state as being behind the attacks.
Speaker 2: There is an organized crime element offshore in this that that's not suggested organized crime are doing it. They're just using cutouts, including people who are criminal and members of organized crime gangs to do their bidding or direct their bidding.
Speaker 1: Now Mossad, the Israeli intelligence agency, has come up with a name. A senior officer of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps the IIGC named Saddar amar Amar is high up. According to Mossad, he reports directly to Smail Kunney, the commander of the ultra elite KULDS force. That means he's just two steps down from Iran's supreme leader Ayatola Kmena. Cameron Stewart is the Australian's chief international correspondent. Cameron, what do we know about this man?
Speaker 3: Well, Claire, we don't know too much about him. We've certainly know what he looks like. He's got a black skivy and a lovely thorn coach. He looks like the essence of a Middle Eastern gentleman. According to the photograph that Mosad released, his name is Saddar Ahmah and he is the head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps KOD's force. But Mossad, when they made this very unusual statement revealing this man to be the leader of this sole operation, did not give any further information about Sadda Ama, So all we really know is that picture of him and his name.
Speaker 1: Everything Mosad does, of course is calculated, and presumably releasing his picture letting him know that they've identified him and outed him as a basically intelligence or to the world, is part of their tactic, right, that's right.
Speaker 3: I mean, they haven't said exactly why they're releasing it at this point, but they do make as part of their statement. Claire Moscat makes the point that the fighting of terror includes the knowledge that they're doing things like this, So what they're really saying is a statement public statement to the world, we know what you're doing Iran, we know you're doing this stuff. We're onto you. Don't be filled. And of course with Mossad, this is just one of many operations that they have done very successfully against Iran. They help destroy Hespala in Lebanon with the page of explosions, They've done target assassinations of nuclear scientists and senior military leaders in Iran, and so this is yet another leg if you like, of Mossad's general operations against Iran worldwide.
Speaker 1: Iran has a defense force, the regular army, navy and air force. Then it has the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Core, a separate military organization that has its own ground, maritime, and air forces, plus an intelligence wing, a volunteer militia, and a media outlet. The IRGC's job is to run internal security and border security, the coast Guard, and so called resistance operations. Overseas and within the IRGC is the Kudz Force. It's a bit like the CIA an intelligence forward operation, with one main job to support Iran's interests in foreign countries. Kutz Force works directly without fits like Islamic Jihadan tamas Hesbalah, the Hoofi's in Yemen, and pro Iran militias in places like Iraq and Afghanistan. Kutz Force is ultra powerful because it reports directly to Ayatola Kamana, and its very name is a statement of intent. Al Kudz is the Arabic name for Jerusalem, which is claimed by both Israel and the Palestinian authority as their capital. The Iranian security structure seems to be like layers of an onion. On the outside, of course, you have the Iranian state, then you've got the Iranian military them Islamic Revolutionary Guard Core, going deeper and deeper than Kuds Force. Within that and the brigade that this man is alleged to be the leader of is something called the eleven thousand brigade. Do we know anything about what that is? Within the IGC and within Kuds.
Speaker 3: Force, they are hugely powerful and they are the biggest non military weapon if you like that Iran has worldwide when it tries to export terror, to export its own brand of Shiat Muslim theology, and also to try and since October seven, twenty twenty three, of course, to really ramp up anti Semitic attacks, attacks on Jewish institutions and people in the Western world.
Speaker 1: When these attacks happened cam the Adas Israel Synagogue was I suppose a success for fire bombing. The synagogue burned to the ground and the community was successfully terrorized. The attack in Sydney on Lewis's Continental Kitchen seemed to be bungled. They first allegedly hit another location that had a similar name, then they got this restaurant, but didn't really achieve very much. Allegations before the court suggest that the people who were actually carrying out these attacks, according to police, were not really you know, we're not talking about James bond here. What does it say do you think about the Iranian operation allegedly that they were using people who are not superspies or ultra criminals.
Speaker 3: Look, that's right. I mean, if you're going to recruit local criminals, then you always have the risk of recruiting dodos and that does seem to be what they've done here, you know, And so it's one of the weaknesses really, I mean, the Iranians haven't really succeeded in doing an awful lot with this program in lots of ways. I mean, thankfully, you know, we haven't had lives lost in Australia or in fact in the other andries where they're accused of doing this as yet. So look, I think there are a bit Keystone cops in the way they go about it. But nonetheless, you know, it's still extremely there is certainly the far bombing of the synagogue in Melbourne absolutely has broken the heart of the local Jewish community. That really shocked all of Australia. That crime, and in fact that's really the crime I think that made the Abanese government really wake up when it came to anti Semitism. Before that, I think they're being a bit sleepy about the issue in Australia, but that crime backed by Iran, back both with this man so Amah, really woke the government up to anti Semitism in Australia.
Speaker 1: Australian authorities were pretty circumspect and maybe even a little bit prickly about the suggestion that Mossad had given them this information back in August. Now it's Mossad who's front and center, posting on their own social media accounts a hierarchy and alleged hierarchy of Kuld's force showing Saddah Amah and of course this photograph of him in the skivi and the sports jacket. Is this a bit of a flex by Mossad too? Do you think CAM showing that in fact they are the source of all this information and they're the ones who are attempting to bring down Quids thoughts.
Speaker 3: I think the Mossad, the revelations by Mossad are a broader slap across the face to the Iranian regime. I don't think Australia figuresn't that at all. The ASIO discovery, if you like, of Iran being behind these attacks in Australia was very much an ASIO operation. My understanding is not true that Mossad handed them that investigation on a plate at all. ASIO did it themselves. Where Mossad has been useful for RASIO is of course identifying various people within the organization. ASIO was aware of Sadarrama, for example. But they certainly AZIO was the agency that uncovered the Iranian links in Australia, not Mossad coming up.
Speaker 1: So what about all the other anti Semitic attacks? That's after the break, So cam I think our audience could be forgiven for being a little bit confused, and I certainly am about which attacks on Australia's Jewish community were allegedly done by whom. The most famous one, of course, is the discovery of a caravan packed with explosives in Dural in Sydney. There were fire bombings of private homes, including the former home of Jewish Community leader Alex Rifchin. What don't we know about what else the IIGC is alleged to have been up to. And are we any closer to having answers about who masterminded those most prominent kind of attacks on the Jewish community.
Speaker 3: We're not Claire, certainly. All we know at the moment is that Iran was certainly behind the synagogue bombing and the restaurant attack in Sydney. Mike Burgess said that they're looking at several other incidents in Australia, so that suggests there could be or are suspected to be more, but we just don't know definitively. And of course a lot of the antisemitism has been generated within the local community by other Australians and so other attacks that we've seen will have been conducted by astrands without any ordering from other countries like Iran.
Speaker 1: Just finally, cam the overseas proxies supported by Kud's force have been seriously degraded. Since October seven, twenty twenty three, Hesballa has been it would seem pretty comprehensibly dismantled, the hoofies have been under attack in Yemen, and of course Hamas has suffered some pretty serious setbacks in Gaza. What do you think we can say now about how much Iran has been put on the back foot or whether Iran is capable of regrouping and coming back stronger than ever.
Speaker 3: Well, Claire, Iran has been seriously diminished strategically in the past two years. You know, as you say, hespolar Is on its knees, Hamas Is on its knees. The Hooties are on their knees. And Aaran has been embarrassed militarily by the impotency of its attacks on Israel and the success of the US Israel attack on its nuclear facilities around. This is a much weaker country than it was. It's interesting that it's still promoting this overseas program of exporting terror because I think it can do that without being penalized in the military fashion.
Speaker 1: Cameron Stewart is The Australian's chief international correspondent. You can check out all our reporting on this story live now at the Australian dot com dot au