Speaker 1: And welcome to the two hundred and ninety ninth installment of this your Favorite podcast. He says that with some sense of confidence, not knowing at all that you project hullo, Melissa, Hello, Happy Wednesday, Happy Wednesday to you champion. Have you had a great day? I have had a great day so far. Thank you. I think our day sorry for that. I think our day's about to get a little bit better. What why has your day been good so far? What have you done? Because I know you're a box ticker, you're a list doer, you love your very type A. You push the button before you finished wing? Or is that just me? What's been the what's been the pinnacle so far? Well, actually it's got to do with this episode, because you sent me a video earlier of our guests and it was fascinating. I did, Yeah, I watched the whole thing because it was so interesting. I normally do I normally don't. I've never done that, in fact before, because you don't really need to do too much research on our guests, because you don't need to ask too many questions. But as I say, you can be as evolved or uninvolved as you want. But I watched so last night, I went, I'm going to have a look at this dude, and he's because Russ, one of our mutual friends, told me listen to the podcast and went, so I had to listen. That was great, and I went, I'm going to have a look at it. He did a ted talk and then look at that, I'm like, well that was good. And then I'm just had a look at a few others. And then this morning I woke up at six ish and which is about nine hours after Dnash gets up, and I watched I don't know who produced it, he'll tell me in a moment, but it was about a half hour VID, which well will pass on to you folks. It is really, really fascinating. And I knew that once because you're busy, like you've got no free time, and I sent this to you and I said, because it's thirty odd minutes, I said, just watch ten twelve minutes so you get a sense of who we're chatting with. And I knew that once you watched it, you wouldn't you wouldn't stop, and you watch the whole thing, didn't you. Yeah, you can't just watch ten twelve minutes of that, like imriguing You've got to watch the whole thing. I know. It's like, here, just have a bite of this cheesecake. Just you don't have to have the whole piece. I'm like, God, give me the whole piece.
Speaker 2: Which video this was?
Speaker 1: What's the hat?
Speaker 2: Now I'm concerned about which video this was?
Speaker 1: It was one of you at that swinger's party with the cocaine and the plastic sheets. That one.
Speaker 2: See. I knew you didn't come back to bite me.
Speaker 1: I knew, well, there it is. There it is, dude, that's what happens. Hey, you're not on yet. Just wait now. Our guest name is Denise Palapana Palipanna. He is this is There's way too much stuff and I'm terrible in intros when I read things, so I'm not going to read too much. But born in Sri Lanka nine eighty four. Here's a doctor, he's a lawyer. Here's a disability the advocate. He's the first quadriplegic medical intern. He was in Queensland, second one in Australia, second person with quadriplegia to graduate as a doctor in Australia, and the first wispinal cord injury. There's just way too much stuff. He's been on the ABC Radio, ABC TV, BBC, The Today Show, Vice Magazine. He's got a Medal of the Order of Australia for Service to Medicine Junior Doctor of the Year at Gold Coast University. His actual do you know why? I know? Now? Denesse Versusly, Hello, my friend, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm great, I'm having a beautiful morning in the gold Course once afternoon.
Speaker 1: Now of course you are, now, I want to I bet you've never been asked this question before. This is a question you've never been asked in an interview. Did you write or contribute to your own Wikipedia page.
Speaker 2: I've had a look at it. I've had to look at it.
Speaker 1: I tell you why, because whoever wrote it is clearly an academic Melissa, do you know why why? Because there's one hundred and eight citations? I'm like, who wrote this? You know?
Speaker 2: I was at a job interview last year and that actually came up and they're like, there are one hundred references to this or something like that. I'm like, yeah, I didn't. I didn't. I didn't really check. But it's good that it's so well referenced.
Speaker 1: It is very well referenced and it is very thorough. So mate, where so you're based on the Gold Coast, yes, and you work at Gold Coast Hospital, Yeah, and you also, So we'll jump around a little bit and you feel free to go where it And also whatever ideas and thoughts and messages you want to share with our audience, we would love you to do that. We don't need to go in any particular direction. But so the quick snapshot, everybody correct me if I'm wrong, is you were twenty five ISHU. You were midway through your medical degree. You were driving home to see your folks who lived too and two ish hours away, which was a regular thing for you. You hit a big patch of water in the road, Your car went out of control and flipped end to end, and you ended up a quadriplegic. You ended up you're in hospital for seven months or so and spent another four years recovering and doing bits and pieces fill in the gaps for me and you all that while we're thinking about can I ever be a doctor? I'm halfway through my medical degree? Can I do it? Is it possible? And you ended up obviously going back qualifying as a doctor. A lot of speed bumps along the way, a lot of hurdles and barriers, probably ones that we wouldn't think. But you did law before you did what you did the law, and then what happened with that? Did you go? Hang? What was that about? It was?
Speaker 2: You know that there was a that was a really interesting process for me. And yesterday someone asked me, did you ever get depressed after the accident? And I don't think I actually, you know, I don't think I felt low like I was distressed and it was an adjustment period, but I don't think I was extremely depressed after the accident. But I was before and that was before medical school. So when I was in law school and studying law, I think, you know, I think depression and whatever what, whatever our thought process are, there's there's an organic component to it, and there's a neuropsychological component to it, and there's a very scientific components to it, for sure. But I also think that certain life events and new path in life can lead you into that as well. I think the reasons for me choosing, or the reasons for me studying or then we're not, we're not. Something that was close to my heart. I just finished school. I was trying to figure out what to do, and I thought, hey, you know, I'll get paid well, I have a well respected job, and this would be a nice thing to be doing, which really aren't which probably aren't that good reasons to be doing something in all honesty. But over a period of time, I just became really really depressed, like I was in the pits. I was anxious all the time, I had handic attacks, I got at a guaaphobia. After a period of time, I locked myself when house for weeks, and it was that experience they got me thinking about, you know, maybe I need to just rethink life. And you know, it was really hard going through that period. It was probably actually one of the hardest things I've gone through. The spine card injury has been difficult, but that was an experience where you become stuck inside your head, and I think when you're a prisoner of your thoughts, it's a much more difficult thing than being you know, I wouldn't even say limited, but having a different body now that I do. You know, I use a wheelchair and don't use my fingers anymore. But I feel that I'll be much more productive after this significant physical injury than I was with that. It was a really good turning point in my life because I started thinking about what I want to do. And I interacted with so many people then, because you know, you're struggling, and I was talking to friends, and I was talking to doctors, and I was talking to all these people, and I realized that, you know, people make a big difference in your life, and people are really important, and I wanted to I started thinking about doing something with people because I thought, wow, you know, just having a good conversation and having some help really change my world. And that's why I wanted to be a doctor. And as soon as I made that decision, my life actually just changed very rapidly, and I came out of that depression and I was a new person.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how when we find our thing, oh our you know, all these cliches get chucked around, but our purpose or our path or our reason or whatever you call it, but if it's a it's amazing how things change on a multitude of level psychological, emotional, practical, physiological, even I kind of talk about this construct with when I'm doing some of my speaking and coaching called I call it the duality of the human experience. The duality of the human experience, which is the fact that we kind of live in these two worlds, the external and the internal. Obviously, the practical physical, three dimensional world where things happen, people have accidents, you know, pandemics come, whether happens, government happens, bills to pay, jobs, to go to roles, to play, situation, circumstance environment. That's the external world that we inhabit. But the world that we live in is more that inner place of thought and feeling, emotion, idea and passion and love and hate and terror and joy and pain and excite and purpose and goals and beliefs and faith. And you know, isn't it interesting how like your life from the outside. From the outside looking in, people would automatically assume many people, well, his life just got a whole lot worse, right, which would not be an unreasonable assumption based on the fact that, wow, you went from where you were to now you're in a wheelchair, to all these things. But almost illogically, it's like your life. And I'm sure there are things about your life that of course are challenges, of course, but in terms of your life as an experience, your lived experience of life now is better, Like it's just so interesting. But we are such an externally focused world where everything that when we talk about success, generally we're talking about stuff, you know, we're talking about you know, when we talk about success, we're normally talking about, you know, what we have, what we earn, what we own, what we drive, where we live, what we look like, what people think of us, our qualifications, our position, our title. And none of those things are bad. But definitely when you go, wow, that that girl or that guy they're super successful, you're not talking about the fact that they've got no anxiety, or the fact that they're calm, or the fact that they've you know, they've got a joyful existence despite the fact that they live in a one bedroom flat, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Absolutely, I think. And it's like a drug too, you know, when you get caught up in that thing. You want the next best thing, or you want the next best car, or you want the more money or the bigger house or whatever. And I think I was a big part of that where I was really attached to these things. I was. Actually it's an interesting thing to reflect on because just before I had my accident, I had all these things that I liked, Like I had this nice apartment overlooking the ocean and the city, and I had this car and whatever else, and you know those things, Like I was very attached to those things, was attached to my belongings. But when the accident happened, I lost every single thing, like because money became a challenge and I just had to give it all up because I was in the hospital for seven or eight months, had to move around, and I think I was really stripped down from all that as well, Like I lost all the belongings and I lost all those things, and I just had to start again from the basics. And that was a really good thing because again I got the opportunity to just strip down to the core and figure out what's important. So I totally agree that having that internal world that that that is that is important because you know, I use a wheelchair now, I don't use my fingers. I have all sorts of differences in my life from what it was before. You know, I love life, Like I wake up every day, I'm grateful for a bunch of stuff. I look out the window and I see the sun and the ocean and gold courst and that that it's it. That's an awesome thing. I get to see here and talk to you today. That's pretty damn cool. And that wouldn't happen if my life was different. So I think, I think you've got to look at look at what you have in a different lens, and that really helps to shape shape the world that you've seen. There's a book called The Diamond Cutter, which I don't if you've ever come across.
Speaker 1: But I'm going to write it down right now.
Speaker 2: Essentially, it was I read it a long time ago, but it was written by a guy who was a monk somewhere in Nepal or India, and he wanted to learn a bit more about the world and understand it a bit better. So he went to New York and became a diamond trader, and he looks at business and that world in a bit of a spiritual and philosophical light. Well, one of the things that he says is that when you get a diamond out of the ground, it's actually a fairly ugly things. It's not shiny, he doesn't have a shape. But we have the ability to cut that diamond into whatever we want, and if we cut it right, you see it shine and you see all these different colors come through it, and that's like life. You have the ability to turn this rock into whatever you want.
Speaker 1: Such a beautiful metaphor. Do you think that, you know, one of the things that everybody is saying, especially in Melbourne right now, you know, is more Jews. I'd love just to be able to go on bloody shit and have a cup of coffee with someone. And me too, I've said it too. You know, there's all that normal stuff, right and so when you know it, this is no revelation when I say that we don't appreciate some things often until we don't have those things, and then the thing that we didn't really value is the thing that that's all we want right now? Do you think that, like when I watched your story, and I'm not just saying this insincerely because you're here it firstly, thank you for thank you really from the bottom of my heart for what you do, because just watching you and watching you, you know, so to give there's some context everyone. If Denessh's got to be at work at seven point thirty, he's getting up at three thirty or four for all the stuff he's got to go through to be at work, so he's not rolling out of bed at six thirty and you know, having a dart in the car on the way to work, in a coffee and shaving it at the lights, and you know, putting on yesterday's jocks. He's getting up. Okay, that's my life, all right. He's getting up four hours and taking hours to do what would take us to do minutes. But and I was watching you, and I'm thinking what I really thought, because I always tell myself how busy I am, right, and I don't think I'm a marter. I think I cope with it well. But I have this in a dialogue, and I am busy, but because I'm doing full time work and full time study. But my busy compared to your busy is nothing, and my adversity compared to it. And I know that you don't look for sympathy or accolades. I get that. So I know you're going to deflect, but don't fucking deflect, right, as you've been told. Right, I was looking at you when I was going I need to work harder, because I'm kidding myself. I was watching what you do, and it just I found it truly inspiring. My question to you, is, how can people find that like a significant shift in perspective and thinking without going through a catastrophe. Do you think that's possible? Do you think it's because when your life changes, the way that your life changed once it or not, your perspective is different. It's like it's involuntary. You now have to have a different mindset and thought process of just for navigating life and the world. And you know, we hear of so many people who have been through something like you, who not only do you perform, but you like like new Denesh is out performing Olddnesh. I know that's not the right to did you know what I mean? Yeah? Like, is can we get that perspective without the drama and the trauma and the tragedy.
Speaker 2: I think you have to look for it, right because I heard another good metaphor a while ago is that you can't tell a fish that it's wet.
Speaker 1: So oh fuck, I love that is that is just so simple and so funny.
Speaker 2: So unless the fish is able to see like what it's is not to be wet, you can't really explain it to him or her. So I think you have to really look for different experiences and be consciously looking for that others perspective to find it. And it takes a choice to do that. It takes a choice to think, Okay, you know, I'm struggling right now, I'm struggling with these thoughts, or I'm challenged by these thoughts. Maybe I need to look outside, or maybe there's a better way to deal with it, or maybe there's a different way to think about it. But you have to go looking for that, and I think it's a process. I'm also lucky in that I grew up in Sri Lanka until I was ten years old, and Sri Lanka went through a war which just finished in the late two thousands, and it was a really difficult thing for people. So when I was growing up there, I actually had this memory which I talked to my mom about just recently, and because I didn't really think about it, was in the back of my mind. It popped up every now and again. But it was this when we were driving around Sri Lanka one day to me mom and dad, and there was a bunch of there are all these columns of smoke in the horizon, just black corns of smoke, and then when we drove up to it, we saw people being burnt alive in piles of tires, and there were suicide bombings, there were people dying, like my uncles died in the war, and people are living in fear. I remember, you know, we had times where people were hiding out in our house during their life, and parents really catch different buses to work because if one of them gets blown up, the other one would make it home for the kids. So people through a really hard time. And when after the accident, I also went back and I saw, you know it, we're so lucky in Australia, like this is truly the country, I think, because I went back there and I saw what happens to a lot of people with spinal cord injury. There. There's no social support systems, there's no in theis, there's nothing like that, and a lot of people just go home and die. They don't have the opportunity to work, they don't have wheelchairs whatever else. So just seeing that different perspectives, many thinks, you know, I am so damn lucky to have this opportunity to live the way I do, to be to seek education, to seek employment, to be able to hopefully spread a good message so that that's really mean a driving force for me as well, just to think about how lucky I am to be greatful for the things that I have. So that perspective has been really important.
Speaker 1: Could you maybe give us, for the people who are meeting you for the first time, which is the majority of my audience right now, how could you maybe give us a snapshot of and I know it varies, but a kind of a typical snapshot of a day in the life of you, where you work, what you do, some of the challenges around getting ready for that, and some of the practical stuff around, you know, just getting dressed, getting out of bed, eating, getting to work, to and from. Can you give us a snapshot of you know, I know your days vary, and I know you're a doctor and a lawyer now over retriever that you are, but give us kind of a snapshot of a day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean, I'll talk about some of the things that happen actually before the day even starts. Sleep is a really big issue for people with spinal cord injury. And I haven't slept a full night since I've had the injury, and the reasons for that is you get spasms and also reading problems I use. I've been trying to fix that and we've been trialing a seatpap machine at night. But we did a sleep study a little while ago, and I found that, you know, my oxygen saturations dropping huge, and I was waking up about four times per hour. So this sleep was really poor, and so sleep is a challenge. But I wake up and then my mom, who's been around all my life, she's been a big positive force. She helps me have some breakfast. The first thing I do when I open my eyes is to think about a couple of things that I'm grateful for, three to five things, and it could be like, you know, I'm grateful for the job that I have, and grateful for where I live, and grateful for being alive. Whatever. I think of five things that pop into my head and I put on something positive to listen to. I have breakfast, and while I do that, I get the day started. So I reply to the emails I reply to. I go through my calendar and set up whatever I have for the day or the week. So I try to be really efficient and I try to be reliable with what I do as well. Someone shoots me an email and trying to make sure that it's replied to within twenty four hours and that sort of thing. So just still things because I think those little things matter for life, because big things are built on a collection of small things done well. So we do that, and then I got a team of a great bunch of guys, so one of them will turn up in that hour and then we get the day started. So they will help me get into the shower on a wheelchair built for that, and that that whole morning process with the showering and the personal case is quite It can be quite painful. It can be you know, like pressure fluctuates, like it's actually a bit of a challenging process. And I have a shower, I got some music going on by this point, and I get out of the shower, so by then another hour, hour and a half might be gone. Yeah, And then we get back into the bed and we start getting dressed. Before we get dressed, we're going to go through the skin. Because another thing is fine and corny is that you get wounds. You can't feel the rest of your body. Sometimes there are pressure points that you get. If there's prolonged pressure, your skin just starts to break down. Then you get a wound. So I've got a very superficient woden at the moment that we need to get under control. So you do the skin check, you dress that, and then you start to get you know, put your clothing on, whatever else. I wear a brace around my belly because my lung function. I don't have any lung excellent muscles to support that lung function. So it helps me breathe, It helps me maintain good blood pressure, and it helps me sit upright. And it also helps helps me speak because when I first had the accident, I couldn't speak a full sentence like I am now wow. It took a while to get that going again. So that supports all that. So we put the brace on, we put the shorts on, and that that involves a lot of rolling back and forth and get up, put the shirt on, and you know, I'm a pretty vain guy. I like to look as good as I can, So do the hair, to do the moisturized daily, all that other junk, and then we get out the door. So I go to work and the shifts, you know, I get to work. So typically, you know, the eaty has been pretty good in that they put they've started putting me on evening and night shifts just so I don't have to get up at four am as much. Oh god, because my boss actually so one of those videos that I don't know you're getting up at four to get to work. We could just put you on more evening shifts if you like. And I'm like, well, yeah, I mean they'll be helpful so that they're being awesome. And so I generally start work at one pm or ten pm if I'm doing a night shift, and then I'll get home at about anywhere between. It varies. I'll get anywhere in between eleven thirty pm. Just sometimes, you know, the latest would be like one ish. If something's significantly dragging on, then the bed process will take an hour or two. Grab some dinner, get some sleep, start the press again.
Speaker 1: Man, man, now feel guilty for taking your time, dude, I know. Yeah, so yeah, I'm honest. Oh dude, we are. So you're in You work in the emergency department at Gold Coast Hospital. Is that correct? And how are people when the bloke in the wheelchair rocks up and goes But I'm the doctor, you.
Speaker 2: Know that's a.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Gold Coast ed is actually well it was, at least in twenty eighteen and maybe twenty nineteen, the busiest eat in the country. It's it is a really interesting place to work. But so I've been a doctor now for nearly five years, or coming up to my fifth year, and in all those years and my years as a medical student, not one patient has looked at that as a weird thing. In fact, I don't even know if some notice it, because it's just such an all interaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And if it's anything out of the ordinary, I mean sure people might be thinking, oh, they might think, wow, it's goin a wheelchair. But the out of the ordinary interactions that I've had have been really positive. I remember seeing this patient who had a significant physical challenge themselves and when I after, after I saw them, they said, you know, I was so glad that you came to my bedside because I knew you'd understand what I was going through. And I've I've talked with parents whose kids have been significantly injured or going through things, and they just said that it gave them a lot of hope to then see someone coming out of that recurring. So, you know, I think the medical care is one aspect of it and I try to be the best doctor as I can, but I think it's what you it's the other stuff that you do with people. And there was a doctor, you know, I who sadly passed away, but I think he likes to quote it was Maya Angelou who said, people remember how you made them feel mm hmm, and that's what they're left.
Speaker 1: So it's so true, and it's really easy in some professions, and medicine is one where you know, at the end of the day, at the end of the day, every patient, of course is a human with emotions and feelings and challenges and personality, and every doctor and every nurse and every person in that setting is also has brings all their own stuff to every moment in time.
Speaker 3: And I think it's really easy to get desensitized when you do a lot of stuff in understress with a lot of humans with a lot of problems, and so for you to actually be there in that moment and be fully present.
Speaker 1: Which you know, the stuff I've seen of you sitting with patients on the videos I've watched, and I can imagine because I think I get a bit of an idea about how you are. But yeah, you bring all your knowledge and skills and medical brain to the table, and of course, you know, which is a necessity. But then on top of that, when you bring empathy and awareness and kindness and presence where I'm actually here and I'm with you and I present, I'm not thinking about my lunch, I'm not looking at my watch, I'm not I'm not in a hurry. You know, that's such a gift to people. And you know, I think that's when people love their doctor. That's what they love about their doctor. What they love about their doctor is how that doctor makes them feel or how they how connected they feel to that person. Of course, you're want someone with knowledge and skills, but that's a given. But you know, so that's Do you think that just to me doing a bloody monologue, shut up, ups. Do you think that pre accident, post accident, your level of empathy changed?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think pre accident, you don't know, I was never a patient, like I mean, I told you about the depression and all those things, but I was never a patient in a hospital going through this type of experience, so I didn't understand what it was like. And I had this really crystallizing moment about this because there was this guy who gave us a lecture once before that accident, and he was an emergency physician who worked with Queensland Ambulance. I looked at his lecture, I'm like, fire, this guy is awesome. I want to I want to be like you know, I want to do what he's doing and whatever else. And then he happened to be in the ambulance when I had that accident.
Speaker 1: Oh one of the trances.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So the thing though about that is, you know, I knew I was a doctor, I knew all that was under control. But it's now ten years later and I remember how he made me feel hmm, and that has informed how I try to with my patients. And imagine making that impact on someone where they remember it ten years later, that's that. I think that's pretty powerful. I was within for maybe fifteen, twenty, maybe thirty minutes, and he made that impact on me, which has been life probably gonna be lifelong, and has a flow and effect to my own patients.
Speaker 1: Isn't that incredible when you maybe can't even remember what someone said specifically or the specifics of that moment in time, but you just feel that being around that person had an energetic impact on you and an emotional and a psychological I like in a really positive way. But don't you think that Melissa too, that there are people that and you don't even know why there are people that. It's just there's something about their energy where you like being around that person definitely, you know. And then there are other people converts sleep and you go, oh boy, oh, this is a struggle. I try not to be the latter. I'm sure sometimes I am unless I apologize. I apologize. So so you so you finished law mate, and you kind of went not for the moment, and but you correct me if I'm wrong. You went back with not recently, not went back, but you qualified as a lawyer recently. Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you have to do that when you finish your law degree. There's you get the law degree, but there's a process. We have to be admitted as a lawyer and then you do some coursework and work experience and that sort of thing. Once you take that off, you get to turn up at the court and you know, they get to sign the role of lawyers. And I did that recently, and really the idea behind that was to inform some of that advocacy work and inclusivity stuff that I've been doing. So that that was a nice moment.
Speaker 1: Now, I know that when you came out of when you finished your degree and you got your cap and your gown and thumbs up and high fives and you know all that stuff, that that the challenges didn't stop. Then, So tell us a little bit about getting an actual job, because that was not that was not smooth sailing. Give us tell us a little bit about how that went down, and yeah, what happened.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't a huge it wasn't a smooth sailing, and it was a very frustrating experience because I did well in medical school. I spent time in the hospital as a student. I proved myself as much as I could. I given spend some time at the Harvard Medical School and you did well there. So did all that stuff and had letters of recommendation from doctors and whatever else. So when you graduate as a doctor in Australia, you you you're guaranteed a job if you're a domestic student and you put your name into this ballot and you put down where you want to work, and then you're the ballot system sort of. You know, get you a job. But I've just got a letter saying that, hey, you've got you you know, because of your spine cort injury, we need to take your name out of the ballot more consider it separately. But this just turned into this massive, long process and they wouldn't really tell me what what this what the details of this process was. They all these delays. They wanted me to get medical medical reports, and I got registration as well, so I've got registration whatever else I mean, then there were saying, you know, you're probably not going to start work with your with your colleagues, and so it took a lot of advocacine. It took a lot of support as well, you know, from the community, from the media, from other doctors and some politicians as well. Like it took a lot of work and advocacy to get the job initially and even since then, like in twenty eighteen, I was called coos Helts Junior Doctor of the Year. But even after that, I've you know, it's become a lot smooth sailing. Like I work in the ED and it's a great team and a great set of bosses that I work on it. But along the way I've still had some challenges where you know, no matter how hard you work and no matter how well you try to do, the people still ask questions. So I had a few bumps along the way, but I think now now I'm in a great spots and work works going smoothly. But it certainly took a lot of fighting to get here. But it's been worth it, you know. Like like I said, it's worth it for the patients. It's worth it for the people that I get to do things for, even though they're establishment wasn't as supportive.
Speaker 1: So here's my red herring question from left field. Do you have Is there a spiritual component to who you are and how you are? And if so, what does that look like you?
Speaker 2: If I had to put a label on it, I would say that I'm agnostic, but I often think about things, you know, like I often think about I think I'm still trying to find meaning in that whether there's something larger than me. But what gets me through is just trying to be a good person, you know, And it's really it's just the basics. Like you know, I was still going to have a friend the other week and she said, oh, you can tell a white life, like a white life is still a lie, right, So it's just about those basic qualities. And I'm trying to always try to make sure that a person of integrity, that I'm always giving back and I'm always trying to do good for the world, because I think that that's important. Spiritually, I think it's it's still a search because I also don't want to do something, you know, whether it be like a formalized faith system or whether it's something I don't want to do something just because to do it, like I really want to feel it, you know, if I.
Speaker 1: Was that And I think one of that, sorry, I think one of the compromises of I'm not saying people shouldn't be religious or they and belong to a faith or a church or a synagogue or a fill in the blank, but is that once you belong to that, then you kind of have to align on everything because you go, I'm a I practice this, you know, and then there's an element of freedom of thinking that goes out the window, because you know, your ideology and philosophy and thought process need to align with that particular theology or philosophy or way of being. I guess, but yeah, it's it just interested me because I think when I was training you might find this interesting. But I was training a year ago and a year ago and a week with my training partner. So it was literally about, you know, fifty three weeks ago. I was in the gym with my training partner, who's cutlety, is younger than me, very fit, very strong, very lean, doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, healthy lifestyle, all that stuff. Did a set of thirty chin ups the neesh, and because he's a journeyus, he held his breath the whole time. So held his breath for thirty chins, came down, had a cardiac arrest. Yeah, dude died on the gym floor. Dead. They're dead dead. So I started working on him, you know, straight instantly, Like there's like twenty seconds maybe within from when he exhaled, and you know, it was a bit there's a few things going on that we won't go into, but so I started working on him, and he was The paramedics got their ten minutes later, and he was dead for seventeen minutes. But it's just interesting how people go like when anyway, he's fine, now he's got a pacemaker, and they don't even know why because he didn't have a heart attack. He just arrested, and I think it could have been. He also had before training this progressing from your story, sorry but you might find it interesting. But before he trained, So this is the guy that doesn't drink, doesn't do drugs, all this, he used to have this pre workout kind of you know how some of the the groovers have pre workout stuff, right. And I looked at it, and he had a double dose. And I did the I did the calculations, and my best guess is and remember it's in about I don't know, one hundred mil of liquid, about the same as ten coffees.
Speaker 2: So that's insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's you know, he's fifty three or whatever, fifty two, a moron, a lovable moron, but a moron. He's having ten coffees or the equivalent in one hundred mil of liquid and then holding his breath for thirty reps. I'm like, well, no, wonder you died, You fuck an idiot, And thank goodness you didn't do that when you're at home working under the car or something, you know. So, but it's funny because in that moment he Some people have these really life changing encounters or moments or and he's like, nah, it's like when to sleep for half an hour whatever. Absolutely, the people that you've worked with that have had you know, I just watched this weird show called The OA two seasons on Netflix. Don't watch it anyone, but it's a whole show about near death experiences and interdimensional travel. Clearly, I've got too much time on my hands, and this is why I'm struggling with my research. That just came to me. But anyway, you know, the people. Do you have much of this around people who have died or nearly died, or where there's some awakening, some big moment or revelation or spiritual wake up.
Speaker 2: See working in the ED.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm getting yeah, because you're not with it that long out.
Speaker 2: But I think I've certainly had some thoughts because after this spine courting drug, the initial phases of such an injury, it's involved in so many complications. So I've been in the ICU a couple of times and I've been very, very sick from it. And those moments really do those moments really do make you think about life again a bit more and make you I think it's about going back to the basics, right and then doing that. But it's up. Certainly. There was a one time where I had an issue with my lung and they thought that it was cancer initially and waiting for that result, and you're just sitting there and going, oh my gosh, if yeah, please let this not be cancer and I will live an amazing life. Yes, So you do have those moments where things you start to think about things different, or you kind of reground yourself.
Speaker 1: And did you do you ever think who am I saying please to?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 1: To whom is this? To? Whom is this person that I'm requesting this from? Yeah, I think that's Tom Cruise, Oprah Cruise. Definitely not Tom Cruise. Mate. Tell us about as I went through your series of interviews and you know, jumping from podcasts to videos and things. So you've you've got a partner, now, you've got a fiance. Now tell us about her relationships.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's another challenging thing, and I was I was thinking about this yesterday. I'm still in someone because it's not a it's not normal you know, inverted comments, it's not a normal thing. Like I can't I don't do some of the normal things like dance or hold hands and walk on the beach, for example, or whatever else. So it's it's very different. But I think you also start to realize maybe normal isn't so important, you know, maybe maybe it's about building a deeper connection and it's more about I think you start to value the fundamentals a bit more about that, like even physically, you know, and how long does that physical thing ask in a normal?
Speaker 1: And also and also what's normal? Dude, Like let's get let's get weird and philosophicalor what's normal? Normal is completely subjective because my normal would be your complete fucking madness. Your your normal would be my completely weird. Melissa's normal, Let's not even go there, because she's a whole project, right. That's she looks like Mary Poppins. It's a facade.
Speaker 2: Mary Proppins was probably freaky behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: She got crazy. Don't worry about that. But so has it been interesting for you too?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And as much or as little as you want to share, but I'm just talking about general relationship stuff. Has that been an interesting challenge? Navigating how do we do this? How do we do life together? How do we do relationship? How do we do marriage? How is that going to practically work? And yeah, we won't be walking on the beach anytime soon holding hands or dancing or you know, ten pin bowling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it is. And I was very reluctant to get into it actually, so for you know, ten years, I didn't really need anyone or engage in that. Of that is because I was, you know, consumed in my own things otherwise, but part of that is because I was thinking, how do I do this? Do I want to do it? Like what will it look like? And I guess the other aspect of that is I always have a lot of people in my close proximity, whether it be you know, my mom or my the boys that helped me out, whatever else. So a lot of it is very visible now, so that adds another dimension to the relationship. But I think you just take it one step at a time and and I think a lot of it is also in your own head. It was in my own head. You know, you're scared about a lot of things, You fear a lot of things, but then they're like, oh hey, actually this is okay and it works. So relationships were like that, but it's definitely not straightforward, and I think that's OK.
Speaker 1: Melissa, you watched the docco that I sent you. How much do you love? How much do you love Danesha's mom? Ah, she's gorgeous. Can you tell us maybe a bit about that relationship that you have with her because she seems so special.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's an incredible woman. And you know, she's been a big part of my life since I was a kid. She's always been one that taught me that anything is possible. And other people around me when I was growing up. You know, I remember this conversation once where I wonder if I could be an astronaut and the responsors all, no, being an astronauts really hard, and only a couple of people get to that point, and you know, like that sort of response, and you do. I think you do so much damaged at kids thinking back, but it's really not what we need today. We need kids to be able to feel that they can do anything, be anything. So my mom was actually fortunately the opposite of that, and she always encouraged me to She helped me start my own business when I was in high school. I got flying lessons when I was in high school, she taught me how to drive She told me how to shave, She taught me how to do all this stuff, taught me, you know, how to look after my bank account, all that, and all these ideas like medical school, being a lawyer like she's she's made a big influence and even today, you know, my dad, their marriage didn't survive this accident, but she's been there every single day. I'm taking this journey with me, So we're really close and it's just a different relationship and I'm very grateful to have her in mamma, and it's just been an awesome thing, you know. But I guess that's another thing that it adds another unique dimension to another interpersonal relationship, because there's that as well amazing.
Speaker 1: She's gorgeous. I love my mom a lot. Your Mum's right. I brag about my mum and I saw your mom and I went, Mary, you've got some competition. Because bloody Belta. Where are we at for time? Melessa, We're about fifty five minutes in, all right, let's start to wind up. May tell us a little bit about doctors with disabilities Australia.
Speaker 2: That came about from you know, it was the issues that I had going through employment and there were some barriers that would put up for medical students with disabilities after it came back from me well as well. So Australia had this national policy that specified different physical capabilities that a medical student should have very explicitly and some even some interpersonal things, and it would have excluded me as a medical student if that was applied. So we me and this guy called Harry Emon, who is a guy a person preceded me. He got Gillan Barre syndrome and he was in medical school and used a wheelchair. And Hannah Jackson who's a GP in Tasmania. She has osteogenesism. Perfecto music will just so we got together and said, you know what, we need to start changing some of these things and sharing our experiences with people who want to navigate this maze that we have. That's how it came about, and it's been an awesome journey because those policies are being rewritten. Now we've done We've managed to chieve quite a few things in Australia around making medicine more inclusive. So it's been a really cool journey. Now we're looking at jeez, what's next.
Speaker 1: I saw you in one of the videos with some some Italian research dude who look like a bit of a journey us also putting some weird looking thing on your head which looked like a helmet with a bunch of wires and stuff. And you're on a bike and he is, and you are I think involved in some capacity. I'm fucking this up, so correct me. But with are they're looking at technology now that will kind of almost the electrical impulses will bypass the injury site to innovate the muscles to be able to walk or ride or like. Is that what they're looking at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, there's a bunch of studies going on in that area. The cool thing is we found there's so in about in or around twenty thirteen, there was a study in some rats or mice in Switzerland and they used electrical stimulation and drug therapy in mice with spinal cord injury, and using those therapies and after training them to walk again, these mice were able to voluntarily move their hind limbs again. After me, wow, So then they did autopsy on these mice and they found that after the lesion that they caused in the spinal cord injury, new neurons had grown back, so the board had pickened out again by about twenty five percent. So this is really exciting. And they've applied some of these therapies to humans with electrical stimulation drugs and also thought control using EG, which is what we're doing. So we put all these things together. In early human trials, they're found that the people are able to voluntarily move their things again for the first time in history. So it is happening. It's been shown to be possible, and we're building all this science here. So that's my that's what I do outside of clinical work, and you know, a part of that is actually engaging the mind and train you know, because with traditional rehab, people aren't actually engaged. They're not thinking about walking, they're not thinking that, but here you're forced to do that. And the drug therapy is actually an anti anxiety drug that's been around for ages. That's what's been used in a lot of these trials, and we you know, the hypothesis is that because if you use antidepressant, it doesn't really work that well without psychotherapy, right, you need and that's that's probably that's a training mechanism. So these drugs probably prime the nervous system for change and then you have to train it to change. So that's what we're doing and it's really exciting. We've got two million dollars from the Murtor Accident Insurance Commission the Queensland Government late last year and we're just plowing on with this work. And you know, I want to stand.
Speaker 1: Again one day.
Speaker 2: The last thing I did standing up voluntarily, the very last thing was hug my mom. Wow, And that was a super cool thing. I'm glad I did that. So who was listening, Guys, Hug your mom, Hug whoever you love every day. You never know it might be the last thing that you do. And I want to do that again.
Speaker 1: Well that'll be the first thing you do when you stand next time. Now, I definitely don't make me crime on podcast. I'll have to come up and kick you in the fucking wheelchair. You would, Yeah, of course I would.
Speaker 2: I'm heartless.
Speaker 1: Tell us if people want to connect with you or I know who's done in undating with a million questions and all that, But if people want you, are you available for speaking gigs and all that kind of stuff for what's the deal? Or if people want to follow you on social media? Or how does that work?
Speaker 2: So I have no social media except LinkedIn, so call me on LinkedIn. I'm also I think on the Griffith University website you should be able to contact me as well, so I feel free to get in touch, love to chat, yeah, and moreays available to talk about any cool things that you want to do.
Speaker 1: Well. You are an inspiring human and I don't say that lightly. You're amazing, and I'm sure we can't but if there's anything we can do in our tiny, humble little podcast down here to support you, or if you know we can my my family of listeners can support you or help you or help our cause in some way, let us know and hopefully we can have you back again and go deeper on a few things. But we really appreciate your time today, mate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, thanks for having me and vice versa. If that can be of help to you or any of your listeners, reach.
Speaker 1: Out, stop it stopp being such a good human now. I feel you're amazing. Listen, do you want to say goodbye to our friends? Stay on the call, mate, We'll talk to you once we're done.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Denesh.
Speaker 1: That was absolutely fascinating, So thank you so much for taking the time. We really do appreciate it. Thanks for having me guys, Thanks mate, Thanks everyone, Love you, Gut to see you next time.