Speaker 1: A A Lady ad A Lady, A Lady ad Lady Unfiltered? Is this happening? Are we doing this?
Speaker 2: I think it is our very first podcast.
Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to the very first adel Lady Unfiltered podcast. I'm Hailey Pearson and I'm Lauren de Chesuro, the shorter of the two, and I'm the tall one, and we are besties. We're business partners, and we're the creators of Adelaidy, Hello Essay and Hay Loosy Media and we do everything together except bang true Story one time. So why God, Hi, Oh my god, you can say that on this now. I know there's no there's no one to tell us. I need to dump what you're saying. We can actually say whatever we think and want.
Speaker 2: Oh, we don't have a dumbvine. We couldn't afford it, so even if we needed it, we.
Speaker 1: Don't have it.
Speaker 2: No, and that's what we need to actually promise ourselves and everyone listening. We always be honest, truthful, We're never gonna lie.
Speaker 1: Can we do an oath by Hailey Pearson and Lauren chaz.
Speaker 2: Swear to tell the whole truth, the whole truth, and by the truth, to help us God. Yes, judge, Judy, okay, dirt, that.
Speaker 1: Was our We promise we will be a home overset ourselves, which we always have been on Adelady. You've seen our Instagram. I think you follow us because you kind of know. We're not like, you know, perfect no influences. We could actually prompt influences like that. I wasn't having a go on influences. It seems like you were. I wasn't. I promise I wrote influences.
Speaker 2: Do you know what we've also, We've never been like you know, I've rocked up on set numerous times and someone said, is hair and makeup coming? And I'm completely done up? And I'm like, no, I thought I looked fabulous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, mate. We do our hair and makeup in our cars.
Speaker 2: We get changed in car parks.
Speaker 1: Remember that time that I weed on the side of the road and my sunglasses fell in my WII And then I put my sungnglasses back on my head and then you have to throw out your shoes or is that me? I've piecetoll in my bergs at a service station. I was there that day and then I got home barefoot. I looked so disheveled.
Speaker 2: I was like, I've been filming Ford lost my shoes.
Speaker 1: We're so foul. But that's why I love us. I love being us, and I love being your best friend. So today is a different kind of podcast day because every week we're gonna uncover. We're gonna talk about different topics, kind of like you would when you go out for brunch with your best friends and you have a million things to talk about, but then you get in the car and you're like, I never spoke about anything. I didn't finish any of my stories.
Speaker 2: Or you get in the car after brunch and you feel really anxious because you're like, did I offend that person?
Speaker 1: Did I say too much? And then you go home and do a nervoushit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you yourself, and then you forget about everything and everything's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's actually what happens every time I see my best friends. I feel I don't know why I go, I feel like my cup is full. But then I also go did I offend her? Did I say the wrong thing? Did I just stop? Like just talk? You know what, You don't offend me. You don't offend me either. It takes a lot.
Speaker 2: For you to offend me, And I don't think you've ever friended me, A friend friended me? Yeah, and I can't talk.
Speaker 1: Okay, I gotta say as well, this is why we love each other because we neither of us can talk, neither of us can finish your sentence properly, and neither of us know anything.
Speaker 2: We've always said, you're half a brain in my half of brain.
Speaker 1: Complain each other, but both see we also come across like that, and I think that's why we're endearing. And people go, oh, yeah, I want to advertise with these girls. But we're actually quite smart when you think about it. We're jugalls. We're smart business women. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: But I have an excuse because I'm pregnant, so I have baby brain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I have a parasite. So and every time I do something, You're like, well, i've caught baby brain too. No, but this I don't know if you're like this. Lauren and I have this weird thing. When one of us goes through something, the other feels the physical trauma that the other person is feeling. Have you felt kicking it? Yes, but that's just the parasite trying to get out of me. Okay, all right, we're today, Yes, today, you're got to keep us on track and stay with us. I promise that you will leave this podcast feeling better about your own lives. So we we're gonna tell you how we met and how it all started. Let's go back to Okay. So I'm seven years old than new So yeah, don't forget it. Yeah, I know that I left UNI and I got into radio by I was at essay casting and Ann Peters, who runs essay casting, was like scariest fuck, like the scariest woman, but so good as well, because you really want to impress her. And she called me one day and she's like, Hayley, do you want to drive around of those cars at safam and give out icy cold can's cake. She's a packa day spoker. Now she wasn't. She was just scary And I was like, yes, I would love to do that, And that was my inn. I started at Triple M back in the day, like in when I was twenty one years old as a freak on the street and we drove around giving away icy cold cancer coke. And then one day I just sliding doors. Moment I just got lucky. I was a producer for the night show Sam Mack and Mel Greek were doing the night show and and Melgreg was taken off air because she said something about Selwyn the artist Selwyn Selwyn. I don't know, I'm just picturing tim Omatic and Selwyn. I don't know if they're the same person, but they're not. Anyway, she was taken off the radio and for some silly reason. She was great. But Craig Bruce was the boss at the time. You'd know him from Game Changers. He said, Haley, you're in. You have to do the night show with Sam Mac and I'm like, I've never done radio before. Oh my god. But after that show, I knew that I don't know if it's a past live thing, but it was. I was meant to be doing that. I felt more comfortable doing that than any other job I've ever done in my life. And so from there I was working at say Fermund Triple M. And then I was like, I need to do my regional time, and you do. And this is what was.
Speaker 2: This was a thing like teaching, isn't it always have to go out regional.
Speaker 1: Always go to Port Pierri do you time? Oh yeah, I went to the Sunshine Coast. That was my that was my regional time, and I was there for four years doing a night show, a drive show, days, everything, and then my husband and I, who was my boyfriend back then, we moved to Melbourne Nova for my dream gig going on. My god, I'm in cap City. What the hell? Husing Kate. We're doing the breakfast show all that time, and they were amazing and I looked up to them so much. Carrie Bigmore was the newsgirl. I met so many amazing people there and then I left there to come home a full circle moment and do what I thought at the time was my dream job with SAFM Breakfast, which is.
Speaker 2: Where I met you, and I'm so glad you got that gig and you went through a few radio partners.
Speaker 1: I run a lot, and to be fair, like I've got on with all of my radio partners. I think that time at SAFM was I say it was awful, but then I met you there and you met your partner there, so I can't say it was awful in that sense, but there I did go through a lot there personally and professionally, Yeah, definitely doubt so. If I were to do my quick whip around, so that's your dio whip around live to Laurence de Cezroy, tell me about your story.
Speaker 2: All right, hello, coming live for the Metro Whip Around.
Speaker 1: Remember that time?
Speaker 2: Oh So I finished my degree. I studied media at Adelaide UNI, and then I went into SAFM for a job interview.
Speaker 1: For what role? I wanted to drive the street cars too? How everyone starts, I reckonize how Jackie O started.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to hand out icyhul Can's coke in the Black Thunder's My dream walked in job interview, the girl was like with Sarah Rogers, who I love. I love your Mimko. I wouldn't mind when I went, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: And she said you're hired.
Speaker 2: I'm like, why do people get so stressed about jobs?
Speaker 1: They're quite straightforward. Do you know what it is?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: It's just your personality. So people would have met you and like I want to be around this woman, and so they would have fired you. I hope so.
Speaker 2: And then day one I crashed the street car and I almost didn't tell them, but I kind of figured they'd noticed the ginormous dent on the right hand side of the car.
Speaker 1: I didn't get fired. I do often think how you haven't like died multiple times driving. Well, I'm not the best ride. I'm not either, like I want. I worry about myself as well, but you're more distracted than I am. In fact, you go you can't talk on the phone and drive at the same time. You'll go forty ks an hour in one hundred sorry, Like I'm serious up freeways because you can't do two things it once.
Speaker 2: I'm like a dude, an't I And I actually have to look at you while talking to you.
Speaker 1: And you're like, how about you talking? I know we're not in a movie. This is a real car.
Speaker 2: I sometimes forget what's real what's not in my life. So anyway, so then I drove the Black Thunder and then I had to go regional as well. I went to Newcastle to produce a show and it was awesome.
Speaker 1: And then I came back and I was the New Girl.
Speaker 2: So there was I think it was like Hailey Craigan Cozy or Hailey Craigan Rabbit.
Speaker 1: I can't even remember Hailey Rabbit and Boo Boo.
Speaker 2: Is anyway, So but it being but a boom, you were there and there was that new show on Channel ten called The New Girl, and it was my first week and you were like, let's make her do things and hey, I didn't say that like that, and Hailey Pearson said, I'm going to the new girl's hair and I went, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: I just want to be your friend. And did you not want me to cut your hair?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I never would have put you in that situation if I knew that you were like, yeah, sure, cut my hair. I'll do anything.
Speaker 2: Severely bullied in the word place you dare throw that anyway. So I had this long, luscious Italian bony tail and Hailey Pearson cut it on air to like a bob and then you sent me to some foul hairdresser from Westley.
Speaker 1: I didn't was real for the day.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, you're talent. You left a five fast night and then this poor hairdress I had to try and cut my hair to look relatively normal because you.
Speaker 1: Just are you just so? Is this where we're revealing that it's like a single white female.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just coming you now. After ten years of like trying to get back at you for.
Speaker 1: Cutting my hair, can I tell you something that you might not know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but wait, I'm only joking. That's what started the radio career. Then I became your producer, and then we became best friends.
Speaker 1: And it was a point where this is before we were best friends, you would you were my producer at the time home and I remember it was back at the time where blogs had just started, and SAFM wanted me to write a blog and I was like, I study Journalism'm like, this is what I did, even though I can't spell cat. I wrote something and you came into me, and it was probably just lip service, but you said to me, oh my god, you're a brilliant writer. You're such a good writer. You're a brilliant writer. Those two words, and in my head, I was like, oh my god, maybe I am. And I believed that I could write, and you gave me the confidence without even knowing, oh my god, I can write. And that's where I started writing from then on and I haven't stopped.
Speaker 2: I don't think I would have done lip service because I don't like to give compliments unless I mean it, so I would have one hundred percent meant that.
Speaker 1: But you're also single white female, so you might have just been stuffing up and then can I come stiff your hair later on? Okay, so here we are we're friends. At this stage, we are friends.
Speaker 2: We got through everything, we lived and breathed radio. We were at that station more than we were doing anything.
Speaker 1: Else in our lives, and that's probably why we I don't know when we're hiring people now, we look for who we were at that stage, and I feel like it's rare now that kids are like this. We work for free, but we're not expecting you to work for free anymore.
Speaker 2: By the way, I just wanted exposure. I used to like finish Paneling, Hamishnandy. I'd Paddel Jane Jelly Radio into one am. I'd sleep in my car. I'd get up at four am from my car, put on a Triple M shirt and drive out to an outside broadcast in Elizabeth because I could never say no, Oh it's too much, But also saying no that stays you can't You're not to say yes.
Speaker 1: To everything about I used to do.
Speaker 2: A sports report on Triple M where I would have to see it me and I used to call my dad to go Dad, does this sound normal?
Speaker 1: That stirt got up over Westi's and stuff? Do I sound like I'm sporty? Before I read the bulletin? Because when they said, do you like sports? I said, yes, I just want to read it. And you were wearing a netball bit at the time.
Speaker 2: I looked like one today.
Speaker 1: Sharon Shan's just like.
Speaker 2: I could never say her last night, but I just never wanted to say no. And I know you're the same, and we've always said you're half of brain, my half brain, complete each other.
Speaker 1: But we've both always worked hard. And sadly, if you're listening to this and you're like, I want to get into radio, it's really sad because when we got in, there were mid dawns. We both did mid dawns. There were like, literally you start your shift at ten ten pm. They were local shows. It's so hard now to get in if you want to follow this as a career. Now obviously you can start your own podcast and have zero listeners like we do right now. But I think my mum might be listening. Yeah, I do tell me there. Okay, So at this point we're friends, but we're also going through some shit. So why we're at that radio station and I don't know. I always say I've got PTSD from that radio station, and I don't know if it's because of I'm not blaming the station because I went through other stuff when I was there. I had two pregnancies and lost my brother. So a week after my first son was born, Ryan died and six weeks after that, so eight weeks after that, I had to go back to radio. So mentally, I probably was a little bit screwed in the head anyway, trying to get through everything. And I think we were all in.
Speaker 2: This crazy world of radio land that the emotional stuff, it's like we couldn't we were like robots. It's like we couldn't be friends. We had to be like, come on, we got to do this, We've got to do that, and we forgot the human element of someone's just lost a sibling. Yeah, but in radio land, it's really weird to even talk about your program to just you're on the wheel, and if you don't continue on that wheel, there's a million other people that want your jobs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can't. And I'm gonna say this too as a woman in this industry, and I'm sure this is across a lot of industries. You have worked your whole life to be in this career, right, and then you also really want to be a mum, and you have a baby, but then you have this anxiety of like, I really want to stay home with this baby. I'm so excited. I love this child. But at the same time, the longer I'm off, somebody else might be better than me, and then you second guess everything. You get anxious, and then someone sweeps in and steals your job.
Speaker 2: Well, you can't take a year in media is like ten years.
Speaker 1: You can never I had like nine weeks off Max, and that was only because it was Christmas holidays. I know, yeah, but at that time I was going through that kind of stuff. Also, we like that they were changing the radio station. We lost our jobs. That happens in radio. You haven't done breakfast radio until you've been fired. That's fine. You were going through other things where physically you were that stressed.
Speaker 2: I was so stressed, Like I used to work eighty two one hundred hours a week and that is not exaggerating, and I was so focused.
Speaker 1: Now you work like eighty minutes to one hundred hours a year.
Speaker 2: You're lucky to get eighty minutes a week out of me. No, I was. I was so stressed, and it was so funny. In my business life, which is kind of like you and I now, I was so together, run a breakfast show to the minute to the second, and then in my personal life, like my car would get towed, it would run out of poshol. I called my dad because my power wasn't working with the night I moved into my house. But I didn't know you had to like call a power company. Yeah, to like lock in power. I just thought lights worked. You don't know about electricity and how I did at twenty one, he goes through your power company. I mustool as you go.
Speaker 1: Hashtag scotch.
Speaker 2: I didn't know anything outside, but my whole brain was focused on work. So at that point, you've gone through a lot. My hair was falling out. I literally said to mom and dad, I wanted to have a small car accident on the way to work so I could sleep. And that was the minute for me. I went shit, I need out.
Speaker 1: That was burnout before burnout was invented. So yeah, at this point i'd left the radio station, you'd completely burnt out. You went overseas on contigue tour, and I had a baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're both in very different stages of my life.
Speaker 1: This is where ad Lady was born. So Alfie, my second child, was eight weeks old and Mark I had just started. This is so gross saying this. I hate that I did this, but I started. I needed an outlet. I knew that I was never going to be a stay at home I'm not there's anything wrong with that, because that's amazing. But I knew for me and how my brain works, I needed a creative outlet to make me tick, to make me a better mum. So I started a website, Haley Pierson dot com dot com. I was like international, and I know I would write. I would write articles or stories or blogs or personal things and it did go well. Like I would be on the back end monitoring how well it went. And then when I was having coffee with you watermelon juice and banana bread at Nature's Provodre, I said to you, I want to do something. I want to do something, and I didn't want to do it by myself. I knew I could never do it by myself. I want to do something with you.
Speaker 2: And we always had different skills, like so I always had that producing brain and you always had the creative brain. But together, I knew something was going to work, but I didn't know what it was at that point anything.
Speaker 1: That you and I want to do. I have zero doubt, like I'm not kidding, zero doubt that it will not work, because that makes sense. Yeah, zero doubt it will work, that it will work. See, our brains don't work. I got I got you. It was always going to work.
Speaker 2: So from that day on with Alfie sitting there, Oh, it was my actual favorite time because there was no stress, there was no money constraints. We weren't on a timeline. Yeah, and we kind of put ourselves on a timeline, didn't we. Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you're going through this at the moment and you're like, I want to make my hobby a business, our biggest advice is how we start is don't treat it like a business.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So we started this idea, let's create a website about sharing the best of South Australia for women, and we ran it like it was a business. I had time. I had to gave myself time to write articles, had to have a deadline by five o'clock to get this article in. We had no boss. We were the boss. But also where was it going at five o'clock? What happened? Nowhere? But we put that stress on ourselves. Yeah, and that's how it slowly grew. This website. We also came in at the right time. Before I don't think anything about that existed. Maybe oh Glam, but we didn't even know what Glam was. Someone told you.
Speaker 2: Someone told me about, Oh is Adelady like Glam? And I sat in the toilet and looked at Glam.
Speaker 1: I called you crying, But I'm not like closed minded. We must be because then you text me, going, there's this website and they're doing what we're doing. I'm like, no, they're not mate, and yes, I'd never heard of it either, but they're very different. And that's that's good.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing in all businesses. You're always going to have amazing competitors.
Speaker 1: Yes, you need it.
Speaker 2: We've got so many people doing similar stuff and that's the best thing. That's what makes it great because it also makes you be better at your job. Yeah, so from there I never forget. So we had this website launching, it hadn't even launched yet, and we met with the Adelaide City Council and they said, how much for an ad on your website? And we both went one hundred dollars and they went, cool, let's lock it in and we went, yeah, do you.
Speaker 1: Ever think why did people spend money with us when we literally had nothing to show them, because they were probably laughing at the fact that we said one hundred dollars. I don't know, but I think it's because we would go to all the meetings and we would we would just be ourselves and people. I don't know why, but I want to invest in these girls, and they did.
Speaker 2: That's how the business started, and it was just it has been the most amazing journey and I cannot imagine my.
Speaker 1: Life without you. You're just like my right arm, my best friend. I used to cry as a child because I wanted an older sister and Mum would always be like that, it's one thing that I can't get for you, but guess what, I gotta have it, and now I have a sibling and it's the nicest thing in the world. I actually feel like I know this sounds so stupid. I don't think I'm coming on to you, but I feel like you're an extension of me. I feel like when you're sad or you're going through something, I feel I know in my loins Lauren's not right. I know it in a good way. And your loins are a bad look bad way.
Speaker 2: It depends how you're feeling. Do you know what You've had to be through? So much shit throughout ten years about a lady. You've always been the stable one. You've been married to Jimmy the whole time, and I've had some fucked up shit happen in my time, but you've always been there. You've always You've lived through the breakups, the divorces, the having the babies, they getting back with my eggs.
Speaker 1: You have been on the biggest roller coaster I know. But that's what I love because if I was with someone that was just stable, we forget. We can't both be stable. We both It's like the Yin and the yang.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I am the fucking Yang and I'm the Is it ying or yin yin yin yin?
Speaker 1: I don't know really. Yeah. I think it's year where you said ying like yin cha? Yeah, I know, all right. What we're gonna do now is Millie, who works with us, has written some questions about our business. I guess that's what today is about. It's really getting to know the backstore of how we are, and then we'll continue to be self indulgent and talk about our lives. All right, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: We've met in radio, We've grown up together, we started this business.
Speaker 1: And now do you know if someone in boxed me the other day going, oh my god, it's so cute. I remember you and Lauren on the over at Linden Park and you went around interviewing people and telling everyone that you were best friends. And I was like, I'm seven years older the nurse. So that wasn't Lauren, but it was definitely me.
Speaker 2: Wasn't just some Italian Greek kid.
Speaker 1: They assumed with me she was Italian. She was half Greek, half Italian.
Speaker 2: What about my doppel ganger who works for port Adelaide, who's that? I think her name's Jasmine and she's just moved up. My cousin thought she was me and went up to her an event and started talking to her like it was me.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of Lauren to chairs away looking people walking around, beautiful girls. All right. Here's a question, when did you first think, shit, this is going to work.
Speaker 2: When did you first think shit this was going to work.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Last week, I don't know, I'm still thinking is it going to work? I'm still is this going to work? Where's the in this situation? All Right, that's a shit question. Let's move on. Oh you've got an answer. I reckon it would be when that lad city council said yes.
Speaker 2: But I also thus, I also think it is when I quit my eighty thousand dollar a year job to start at a lady and telling my dad that it was a great idea, even though we were going to end zero dollars.
Speaker 1: But I just thought it had legs. No, it's true because you have to take risks.
Speaker 2: You have to and if you're wanting to start a business, there is far trying to tell my Italian dad that I'm going to quit my job to go earn nothing. But I just had this fire in my bellue. I just knew, and I knew that you would be the same.
Speaker 1: But like he was just like, what a fuck? I'm stroke but ID but that you have to do it, and do you know what, what's the worst thing that can happen it fails, go and do something else.
Speaker 2: Stressed I was going to end up in moving at home, which I did.
Speaker 1: I think it was more stress that I was going to end up marrying his daughter. All Right, what's been the hardest part about running your own business? All Right, I got this go, I would say with us, it's a it's a tricky one. I could never do this by myself, and I love that I have you, but because we are best friends, and quite often it doesn't feel like work, I don't really have work and home time. So when I'm home with the kids and my husband, my brain quite often is still thinking about the business and work and what we can do next, and have I done this and all that kind of stuff. Never switching off is hard.
Speaker 2: Ever, at the beginning, you had babies. I didn't have anything. I was single, I had no kids, and I really.
Speaker 1: Struggle to understand.
Speaker 2: Back in the day, like you know, I would do mc.
Speaker 1: Gigs or whatever as you say yes to everything. I did. I said yes to everything.
Speaker 2: But now it's very different because I'm where you were, I have kids, and I understand the power of saying no.
Speaker 1: And I cannot express that enough. It is so empowering getting to that point where you're like, if I say yes to you to do this work thing, whatever it is, I'm saying no to my children. And what I always figure, what's the worst it can happen if they if they have a go at you for saying no, I want to be with my kids. What kind of person are they? But I also look at people with kids who are out twenty four seven and out every night, and I go, don't you want to be at home with your family? But also that's Instagram because I hate I feel like people would look at.
Speaker 2: Us and think that because they think that we're there in real time when we're filming and everything.
Speaker 1: Often it's fid are you have a home? That's actually like that cuts so deep because I'm like, yeah, we are always home, but we don't post about that we're home all the time because we're at a Lady and we're sharing the best It's Outh Australia. Yeah. Yeah, I find that one of the hardest things. All right, another question for you, bear Bear.
Speaker 2: I was supposed to get a hat, but I didn't get a hat to put the things in.
Speaker 1: It's because you ate the hat. Did you cook it?
Speaker 2: I remember you once saying that what is that a thing?
Speaker 1: So you can actually in the saying is you cant I'll what is it? I'll eat? I leave my hat, Like if you don't do this, I'll eat my hat. You can actually make a hat that you can boil up and then eat. Our old boss told us about that, but you didn't eat that. You didn't need that. No more eating hats. Is there anything you don't share with each other?
Speaker 2: I think we share everything to the point where I think we shared sometimes too much.
Speaker 1: But I love that. I feel like there is nothing that you could ask me that I wouldn't tell you. Nothing we share like we just were recently. We're on an overseas holiday and we had a parasite and we crossed the line more than I think anyone's ever crossed the line before.
Speaker 2: I filmed myself on the toilet, just so you knew that. I was worried that you thought I might be faking my sickness.
Speaker 1: So did I, and that's why I set you photos of my shit. But actually it was literally because.
Speaker 2: We got off the plane and we were supposed to em see a gig that we couldn't go to. And without giving too much detail to this amazing client, all I wanted to say was I could ship myself.
Speaker 1: I heard you. I thought you were winging at night, but it was actually coming out of another hole.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this is the lowest one, but we don't talk about now.
Speaker 1: We share everything. There's nothing that I wouldn't share with you. I know. One more question and then I think we have to wrap up our first ever podcast. Okay, okay, this is more of a serious one. You both experienced extreme tragedy in your lives. What has that taught you?
Speaker 2: So when we started at a Lady ten years ago, we both went through a lot. Within twenty four hours, my partner passed away of a brain aneurysm, and you found and I found him on the Sunday night, seven twenty seven, and that to this day, I actually don't think I've unpacked.
Speaker 1: I know you haven't. I burial there deep.
Speaker 2: It is still even though you can find another partner and you move on. That's what happens when yeah, yeah, and I've got a beautiful child and I'm with Burjohn. I'm happy that trauma never leaves you.
Speaker 1: They say the person that finds actually finds the body, actually does need to have some serious counseling, more so than the second person that walks in you. Anyway, we can talk about this another time, but on that same weekend that this happened, and this is why we say it's so weird. We're very in sync. My mom had just been diagnosed with breast cancer, and even when my brother died a few years before that, I still didn't go on zoloft or any anti anti anxiety medications. I've rawed doctor. I felt every little bit of that. Whereas when this happened, I was I actually couldn't function. I was like, this is the most painful thing that's ever happened. If I lose my mom and I know you lost someone and you knew what I knew what it felt like, and I just couldn't. I could not, like, I can't even comprehend that it's been ten years and she's fine. But that literally that weekend. The next morning, I was finding out if my mom's cancer was everywhere, if it had spread everywhere. I couldn't focus. And the hardest thing for us at that time is I couldn't. I was there for you, but I was also dearing with my own shit, and we could.
Speaker 2: We couldn't be there one hundred percent for each other, but we were there.
Speaker 1: We were there for each other. Yeah, we'd call each other and just cry and just cry.
Speaker 2: And I had friends at the time that had never been through any form of grief, they'd never even lost a grandparent. And I get so jealous of those people I know, and I really struggled. It changed friendships for me. But you were always there because you had lost a sibling. You knew the grief, you knew the questions to ask. You know. I had a lot of friends that would just never bring him up. And I was like, guys, just because you're bringing him up, doesn't.
Speaker 1: Mean they don't know. You're Oh gosh, now I'm suddenly thinking about it. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: They got I want to bring him up just in case we made you think about him.
Speaker 1: Always acknowledge that person. That's our biggest tip. Yeah, I think when I don't know, I know what the way they're saying. With this as well, I think when you go through something like that, we attract people who have also been through some form of trauma. And when we're in a surface conversation with someone and I know you're the same, she went, actually, not there. I'm thinking about a million other things.
Speaker 2: I can't forget how the kids.
Speaker 1: Nothing sticks. Whereas if you're talking to me about something real, I'm there. I am listening I'm empathetic. I put myself in your position, and I think if you've been through something, it makes you a better listener and a better storyteller.
Speaker 2: But also the really hard thing is when people do come to you with their problems, us being empaths. I've been in the supermarket before someone has told me their life story. She's cried, I've cried, she goes on. Then I sit in my car. I know I'm in bed at night. I can't shake things. I get so into people's stories. So I think it's a blessing that people always want to tell us stuff. But I gotta sometimes learn to shield myself.
Speaker 1: I know your mum and my dad have always gone put a white light around you, surround yourself with white light, protect yourself. And then they do this thing or this hippie thing. Really yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: It at night in the shower with the water I wash off my day.
Speaker 1: You get your hand and you like flick off all the stress.
Speaker 2: What a mum used to say as a kid. I shield myself with pure white light. I silled myself with pure white light.
Speaker 1: But it's good. I don't know. I try to do it, but also I feel guilty.
Speaker 2: We comes in the long line of hippies.
Speaker 1: Don't know.
Speaker 2: I love that, and I love that no matter what I pull at you. That's something like my mom. You know, she thought there was a ghost in my house and she got time and she came and like got rid of the evil spirits and stuff.
Speaker 1: You're like, yeah, my dad did that too. Back in the there's nothing I can throw it. My mom and dad meditate and they do something called sitars or cities or whatever it is where they fly. They literally fly, they sit as they meditate with their mantra. And as a kid, I would hear this flop flop flop flop was moving past her bedroom and they would be flying. That's a whole other thing. Anyway.
Speaker 2: You know what, I can never be sick because my mum always fixed my throat shark.
Speaker 1: My throat shark was at.
Speaker 2: I'm like, no, bitch, I'm just fucking sick. I just want an antibotic. No, let me get rid of the stuff. And I get yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Don't need to get the doctor. You've got jaws, I know, jewels the doctor. All right, I think we've covered hopefully we've just covered a little bit about ourselves, so you know, where we're at. We want you to feel like you're part of this podcast. We're best friends. We want you to feel like we are your best friend and you can tell us anything and you can get us to talk about anything you want.
Speaker 2: If you ever want us to talk about something, you can message us on Instagram dm us and.
Speaker 1: We want to talk about it.
Speaker 2: And we just want to share our lives with you, our messed upness.
Speaker 1: Can I just say how what hot messes we are? This is actually the third time we've recorded this podcast because we just did it too more like previous times and it didn't work. So this is the third time we've done this. I thought we weren't telling you. You know, we're being real and honest. We are very special kind of people. We are hot messes and we hope you feel better about your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you ever want to feel better about yourself, listen to us.
Speaker 1: I love you, I love you.
Speaker 2: You're half a bride of my half brid Babes