Speaker 1: It is the race that stops the nation. And now I'm not talking about the Adelaide Cup today. I'm definitely not talking about the Melbourne Cup. It is the race to the first Super Coach lockout of the year. We are almost there. Welcome back to the Phantom's Lair, part of the official AFL Super Coach Podcast for twenty twenty five. This is the Phantom speaking, always the best show of the year. We're all excited. We're almost there, three days away. It is a public holiday here in Adelaide. You can tell five names has had a good long weekend. He's shown up for the people. Wanted to cap off his brilliant summer with a closing show before we kick off. Welcome sim Simme and Kingsley Thomas Wilson.
Speaker 2: Phantom, how are you? I'm dumb.
Speaker 3: It's good to see your smiling face at the moment, you know, which is maybe a little bit of alph in the room.
Speaker 2: Can talk about now New year? Knew me? I mean, should you have warned the people?
Speaker 1: Not about me? I'm always been about the people, the fans, always been about the people. Not going to make a big deal about it, but it's about time time.
Speaker 3: I'm still just warned to say you don't know what was coming, you know, distressing scenes, you know, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: A little bit of feedback to Yep, Jack Grimes, remember the Melbourne Poor Melbourne Offenders, Supercoach Hero Yep. Check it out on x. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So if you are listening on the audio platform the fans, big face reveal revealed he was indeed Jack Crimes from former Demon.
Speaker 1: I'm a real person. And of course you can see that on the Code Sports YouTube channel. Get on there, watch it, like subscribe, let us know what you think that is. Of course, the voice of the Chief Hayden Phantom Junior, Kenny, welcome.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me again. Yes, we can ditch the Chief. I reckon at the end of the preseason. We're nearly in the season, proper, I reckon, we ditch the Chief. No, so we DOSSI Phantom Junior.
Speaker 1: I reckon. We revealed. Can you start putting chief on your little graphics now? Can't produce the show? Watch four or five names? Has been given five names. I don't think the five names his parents would be happy that's calling him five names, but he goes along with it for the show. So you're a Chief, Have you been chiefed again? We revealed on the show last week that a second chiefing in two weeks.
Speaker 4: Like an incident another one I did copper chief you no no chiefings across the week, thank.
Speaker 3: You as you do see DOSSI around Colon Chief yep, maybe with the questions like you just said, Torl Chief.
Speaker 1: Now, the only thing bigger than five names fronting up here today and delivering is the show ahead and the weak ahead. What have we got? What have we got coming up this week? Before we talk about a big shows?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so coming up this week we have a massive schedule before obviously Round one kicks off, opening Round is over. The scores didn't count over the weekend, but they do count for price changels. So coming up this week we've got this show, massive show to come here. Then we've got the Rookie Bible, your Final Verdict. Hoping Dan Baton can join us for that one that's on there. There's breaking even without on Wednesday, the show for the people questioning what your questions in?
Speaker 1: When Ol does that tweet?
Speaker 2: Has he got horn? Francs?
Speaker 1: Has he got horn?
Speaker 4: Francis did last show he had it in clearly not listening to you guys, got to get on with our pay Wednesday show.
Speaker 1: It's a great one.
Speaker 4: Super Coach Live that is on the Thursday, and that's there that's happening before you before the first game of the season Richmond Verse Carlton. Thursday night there will be the Super Coach AFL Live, So if you missed the first episode of that, that's going to be going on the Super Coach Socials and of course the Code Sport YouTube channel. We'll chuck it up on audio afterwards. But get in first, get in on the live platform, get your questions in. It's a great experience. So they'll be there Matt Forrest and our pay and going through Thursday nights during the season.
Speaker 1: Thursday night we'll be out to you know tradition, Phantom's Lair Tradition will be out somewhere in Adelaide. So if you do find us, you come and tell us that he listen to the lair. The Chief by your refreshment, So come and find us. But big show, big show, big weekend of footy. A lot of news to talk about, our takeaways, all the scores from opening round of course, our final thoughts on the season. Who you'd need to pick who should leave out who we're picking? So a big show, Ossie. Let's start at the top. The biggest talking point in super coach Nick Dakos. What happened on Sunday. You know a man who would not go down with cramp, who he would keep on fighting five days. Look at him, he's just fronting up no matter what. Four on show for the people. Nick Dakos could barely run the second half. Got Toby Bedford as well as we did, expect sixty six super coach points from him on the weekend, and they're jumping off. The super coaches are jumping off in their droves.
Speaker 4: Yep, unless you weren't on from the staff vance. Yeah, well that was just my situation. Lots of coaches were on board. But yeah, as you say, jumping off, what do you think sim You know, obviously he's now got so as we said, scores didn't count last week, but that rolling average sixty six points into his rolling average. He's now going to have to score above and beyond that to keep his price. But as we know, Nick Daekos, he's going to be a keeper for the season. You don't necessarily need to worry about his price. Changing, but other coaches if you don't start with him, could get a benefit by not doing that and bringing him in at a cheaper price.
Speaker 1: Where do you sit at it?
Speaker 3: I haven't had I haven't had daycos because of that, I guess one of the bye but also there are tads coming up. Paul probably said Willem drew to him round one Saturday night. Obviously he got the Bedford one. So yeah, I just I've been off him just as much as absolute star. Just he's more of a guy like waiting to see also and try again after the buye for mine?
Speaker 4: Are you fans? I probably lean towards the same as sim. I just think you're fighting an uphill battle. You're going to get a cheaper price unless he does just absolutely go Ham, you know, fight back on the critics that the corns is of the world, saying he's not fit enough in the preseason. But yeah, we did know that he was coming in a little bit. I guess underdone for his standards, given he had the plan to Fashia, but we forgot about it when he dropped about a one fifty and a half a game against Richmond.
Speaker 2: So where do you sit fans down to fifty two.
Speaker 1: Ownership Nick Deakos at the time recording here on Monday before round one. I think the point you made there about he's a keeper, you're not picking Nick Dakos for your price. I think the opening round scores that affected in really helped. With these bargains. The rookies, you've got that locked in score. They're one step closer to a price rise. That's what you're going for with those cheaper selections. You're not going for that with Nick Dacos.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: It would seem obvious you try it. There's not a lot splitting these options at the top end. We know they can play, we know they can score, so you're always looking for something, So the obvious thing would be underdone score sixty six. These are two reasons leave him out, but it is Nick Dakos. I haven't taken him out just yet. I think back at the g this week than the Bulldogs the week after, I believe no one will definitely planning that night. So I'm backing him in. Could he become a bit of a pod maybe not giving up hope just yet. What do you think you're looking at me? A little bit funny? They're chief I know we've had this discussion off air. I put it on X last night. Who's off Nick Daykos. A lot of people are doing so already citing those reasons that you've discussed. Is it too, Is it just an obvious move for you?
Speaker 4: I just think, yeah, I mean I've probably gone towards a more value approach this year as to I think a lot of people in the community are kind of going towards not paying up full price in general, and I've kind of gone towards that mine of thinking. So sort of the way that jovin the format, the winner last year twenty twenty four reigning champ, has sort of talked about the way that he approaches the game, coming in not paying full price for basically anyone. So that's just where I'm sitting at the moment. And look, Nick Dakos may be underpriced for what we see him for him across the season, but given that he's now fighting an uphill battle, you know, he's got a sixty six in his score cycle. I'm happy to you know, follow the crowd in not you know, bringing him in. I personally, as I said, I didn't have him myself, but people that did have him in their plans.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think it's really up to the Honestly, you could go either way. I'm personally, based on my strategy, I'm going to go against it. But you know, I think if you had him in your plans and your affirm that he's going to go up across the season and average more than he is priced at, I don't think you should change your plans if that was what you thought.
Speaker 1: Yep. A flag mantle here on X you know, sums up the replies I got for his price by a limited preseason, I'm not going there. Yeah, I think that's where I see it as well. Pies were pretty ordinary too. Didn't look great in the midfield when he wasn't up and going. Is the support going to come? Jordan to go. He won't play against the Power on Saturday Night either, So a lot a lot saying to drop him. Yep, did pair them.
Speaker 2: We do enough.
Speaker 1: Jumping to perim I think. So I was not looking for reasons not to pick him, but it was pretty happy with my structure without him at the price though he probably did. I think there's the obvious value there, the roles there, he did some heavy lifting, he's going to do going to need to do even more heavy lifting. But what we saw from Colinwood on Sunday, Let's jump.
Speaker 4: Back to the first game though. This was a massive talking point on the first game of the round. Will Day one hundred and forty eight super coach points, I'm with you on Perryman. He he you know, he did enough. I think if he was in your plans, you can keep him. But if you didn't have this guy on your plans, Will Day, I think you've been big on him.
Speaker 3: But I got him out of my team, so now I'm trying to find a way to get him back into my team.
Speaker 2: That was I wasn't saying, wasn't.
Speaker 1: It unbelieved three goals.
Speaker 2: In the first half.
Speaker 3: I guess the thing was he did get tagged by Jordan, but but.
Speaker 2: Awful, still one and that's always a cheap thing.
Speaker 4: Chance your opinion on will Day twenty six disposals, four mark, six tackles, nine clearances to go with those three goals and seven score involvements. Notable played seventy three percent tome of ground he did get hobbled at one point too, yep, and fifty five percent center bounce attendances which probably where we were thinking. You know, we were wondering whether he was going to play pure inside mid We're wondering which what the mix is going to be. I think it's going to be a mixture of both. But where do you sit with will Day?
Speaker 1: Very impressive, no doubt about that, and we've spoken about on the show. We spoke about will Day's comments earlier in January about he acknowledged the best midfielders in the comp do get forward have an impact on the scoreboard. That's where his progression is set it. It's one thing to say it, another thing to then go and do it. Kick three goals in your first game. He wants to get forward, have an impact. He definitely did that. The tag did work though after halftime he was pretty good in the last quarter. Will Day, after those issues in that third, got wet game, become a bit more of a scrap. I like him as we all do. One hundred and forty eight, though Super Coach points that his high score for the year. Potentially, are we this guy is going to be a star and a super Coach guy. I'm not downing that, but are we chasing the points here with him? What can we expect. It's obviously good art to that you probably win Dussie, so.
Speaker 4: Well, seeing as I'm going to win our concert for you. Will Fade is the name of the game. This you've been waiting to use that.
Speaker 1: I've been waiting a long time. I think I called it Thursday night.
Speaker 4: When I was having a little bit of a nerdy catch up with the Fantasy lads.
Speaker 1: Where's my nuff alarm here?
Speaker 4: I went down Fantasy lads, yea, caught up with the boys over the weekend, called him will fade. Now this is why, Okay, down the brow and flagged. Turn the cameras on. I flag this pretty early days looking at his schedule, obviously wasn't expecting as big a score round zero against Sydneys ones who have deployed a tag before they did as you said in the second half, but not early days when he was just dominating one undred and forty eight points in the rolling average. Does make you think twice he's got Essenon up first in the proper season for Super Coach Round one the Blues GWS, and then of course, given he had the opening round, he's then got the buy. I think you'll get tagged every single week up until he's buy from here, and for that reason, I'm happy to fade and go against the will Day train. So like Droot will tag him from Giants who Bedford, He's going to definitely cot Bedford without a doubt at the essenon does Sam Durham go to him, given we know that he can do the run with roll, does it? I don't know, Like I don't know how they're going to do it. All I know is that coach, a coach watching opening round and seeing what Wilde did will not go without putting somebody on him after seeing you know how we've seen him get his influence curtailed in the second half, You've seen what's happened with Dekos. I think this might be the first year in a few years we're we're actually going to see tags right from the get go, Whereas you know in previous years there's been a few weeks where coaches have let him run free and then income the tags.
Speaker 1: This year round one tag we will not. That's the line Will not. A couple of thoughts coming through on X about this obviously Finn Callahan as well on Sunday, Huge similar price bracket. We'll talk about him in a minute, Matthew here on next can you start Day older Callahan and Adam Cherah in the same starting side, and Martin Lovett the Hips is number one fan. But with the first time I think five names ever delivered something serious about supercoaching, hasn't clipped the hips to say, Martin, we want you to add the clip of the hips the next time. So too serious from you. But fans, as a mantra of don't jump at shadows in the preseason stick fat in round zero. Huge love for Callahan and Day, but the big scores only stay in the system for one week. Anyway, in the lair jumping on to Callahan and Day, so her thoughts about will Day Finn Callahan into your side.
Speaker 2: Strongly consider it?
Speaker 3: I love a look at it like I reckon, Yeah, it's just looking at them for Tom Green's out obviously, so you know, is he There's a reason why we've all rate people, teams have rated Finn Callahan. You know, sin Kilda wanted to pay an amazing amount of money, which you don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know why you're not bout that contraver.
Speaker 3: That's fine, this guy can this guy should in theory be a very good player. Eventually you want that breakout. It looks like it's going to happen, so yeah, then if then if I like it, it's nice A little word.
Speaker 4: I think the roles Tom agree with either. Yeah say that now? Yeah, I mean center bounce is to your point, last year, including finals, for Finn Callahan, he was at center bounces at forty three percent at the time, and that's just looking at how many times he obviously a tens of center bounce after a goal, but forty three percent. Last year he was at eighty eight percent in opening rounds, so he was their number one center bounce mid To your point that I think Tom Green coming in may impact it a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah maybe, but.
Speaker 4: Playing that well, you know you're going to play Tom Green and you're going to play Finn Callahan.
Speaker 1: They play different styles.
Speaker 4: They're not the same sort of player as well, which if they are two big bodied, slow sort of type midfielders, you can get away with playing both of them. So he's not all of a sudden they play on a wing. Okay, The only thing for me is he's got the round two by so as opposed to Will Dave. If you think Will Day can break those those potential tags that I've mentioned. If you think he can beat those, you know you're going to get a price rise out of him immediately. In those first three weeks, you're not going to get the same out of Finn Callahan. You're getting one game and then you're you're getting a buy, and then you've got a second a game after that buy in which his price will change. So the way I think i'd approach Finn Callahan is like without a doubt, or have some sort of failed pick after round After round two we've seen I think, I think is why not just wait after round one we see how it goes. If he looks incredible again, you haven't lost out yet, his price is not going to change. Good point, you're going to have the buy around in round three when he comes back.
Speaker 1: I think he's got to.
Speaker 4: I can't remember what his matchup is after that, but regardless, I think if you're happy with the price change, if he's got some stupid negative break even heading into round three after his round two by that's when I think you can make your little adjustment. You can trade out a failed pick, bring in a Finn Callahan, and away you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree because then it becomes you know, you can just take it for the money train aspect of as well, make a lot of early money with that, be a bit more sure about it. So I do like it.
Speaker 4: I think you'll be I do think you'll be pretty good this year after seeing that. If you start him and you're confident fielding, you know, fielding your rookies, and you've got a pretty good structure.
Speaker 1: I don't have an issue starting. But that's just where my thinking is. Hawk's Eagles and Saints for the Giants.
Speaker 4: Get him in a round three at least, or just start with him. Look, honestly, no, I think that's the way to go. Wait and see on him.
Speaker 1: Both probably neither coming into my team to start, okay, sticking fat yep.
Speaker 4: What about another player where we're all searching for a ruckman. We've struggled. If you're not starting a Cherry or you're not starting at Gorn, we're.
Speaker 1: All starting, we're starting, you're.
Speaker 4: Looking for a ruckman see camerone one hundred and sixty four super Coach points Obviously here and Rick went down early, hoping all the best for him. Recovery that looked pretty nasty for Kieran Briggs went down very early. Cameron got to ruck against one Lachlan Keith. Now you're a good size old chief. You could probably do a better job than Locky Keith. I think, don't don't do lucky Keif do like that, don't mind a bit of Keith. So he tried, he tried hard, but yeah, it was I think fantasy Freco put out the tweet and it was ugly. The moment that Keith took over dark, Cameron really took control of the game.
Speaker 1: And he won sixty four nine of those against Briggs nine nine. Who the Giants play next week?
Speaker 2: Giants have gore im sorry round one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, actually gone for a two hundred round one.
Speaker 1: Back to Darcy Cameron, are you buying that? Are we buying the height?
Speaker 4: It's a big score in the rolling average. I know Joey Montagna who had Darcy Cameron in his team early, so he wouldn't be taking him out. So if he was in your plans by all means, if you think he's going to improve the average like Mason Cox, I think still a little bit away if he's even in the team anymore.
Speaker 1: Listening to the radio, I hate it. I don't hate it. Listening to the radio on Sunday, Joey actually half an hour before the bounce, made his big call and said, Darcie Cameron's going to be Australian been this year. Came out and deliver bit that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, Joey Montagna, Yeah, I don't hate it, he certainly. I mean he finished last year strong, so I don't know. I'd have to see what his rock matchups are like coming up. They're obviously not going to be Lockie Keith every week, so take it with a grain of salt. Yeah, I think he was a nice score though, so I'm I don't think I can go there personally anyway.
Speaker 1: He buried the opening round lead here, Chief Maddie Roberts. If he wasn't he was a lock already in our sides, well, I think so locked in mine, locked in a lot of other sides now and for good reason. Twenty six touches, nine marks, one hundred and twenty four super Coach points. And like we've said, you try to argue against me about if he doesn't have the kickings, can he do enough? He can again, if he's the man they kick too from the kickings, the man they go to as the s out there as well. That's what they do. I like to use him, very efficient, bull user, makes good decisions. Lock him in, I think, my if you can go back on Code Sports, you you're trying to watch our bold predictions show. I had Matt Roberts top six in defense. Maybe not that out there anymore. There's a chance if he plays like that. Yeah, I want to go back to your point, Roberts. The kickings.
Speaker 4: So there was a stat by Jaden Popowski which stat whiz on the Twitter.
Speaker 1: But this.
Speaker 4: Proves your point perfectly. So didn't take only took the one kit the enough button. Ready three he doesn't deserve that. Yeah, three Mark kicks coming directly from Blakey out of those kick ins that Blake he had. So as to your point, they're using each other, he's he's sort of that in between guy. But yeah, I think he's a lock for me.
Speaker 1: Perraman and Roberts, so get him both into defense, I think. So yep, I think so five names yep. Obviously all in on Joel Freezer.
Speaker 2: So yep, we're still there, yep.
Speaker 1: But I like him too. Was in my team. He's in my team in the moment, but I want to get pyramid. So you got all three of those guys.
Speaker 2: No, I don't have Roberts, I will I will ring Roberts.
Speaker 1: Can you fit all those three in easily? What do you think?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you'd have to, you'd have to back in that Fraser's really freezer. He's really going to take it to the next level.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: Let's as a broader question, where are you guys sitting in your defense and you're going pure value? Are we still sticking with some some real premiums up the top end? Like in general? Where's I've found the defenders? I think I mentioned it early in the preseason. It's stuck that way. I thought maybe we'd get more options emerge, I mean Maddi Roberts, because we're already high on him. I think we already had him in our plans. But where are you guys sitting at defense? I'm kind of I think I'm learning full value at the moment, so I think you can fit them all in.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'm going to go with Robert someone and actually bring him in for Nazz, so a.
Speaker 1: Bit more sure thing, I think in terms of one hundred plus.
Speaker 2: And he's also cheaper, so Shecheesel.
Speaker 3: I'm happy to start with him because I think, like on your thing before about you know, I guess full full price players you probably you know, with midfields especially, you can always find value there. I think Shecheesel's one guy that I'm happy to have full price just so this guy's he'll.
Speaker 1: Be a top ten.
Speaker 4: He's got the top five, top six defender, like he should be likely top he should be.
Speaker 2: Top three at the least. Let's say that.
Speaker 3: So like, you know, have you go here and then you can just get value, you know, value like I guess, I'm also been on Jaden Short.
Speaker 1: In the team you've been Yeah, haven't.
Speaker 2: Changed that one, I reckon. I'm happy to do that. Yeah. One thing I'm a little bit concerned about why the defense rookies. You know it's not my boy James Leak.
Speaker 1: Yep, he saved him. Everyone rode him off, everyone wrote him off.
Speaker 3: But no we didn't hear low time on ground low still sixty take sixty four points?
Speaker 1: No you will?
Speaker 2: You take sixty four points?
Speaker 1: Well, get a snag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just going to be what else is out there?
Speaker 1: Because yeah, we'll get onto rookies. But with James Leak, you know, could go glass half four half empt without fifty four percent game time. Is it a sign that he could be the first one out or is it a sign hot day debut? Maybe they plan to sub him off anyway, Kiaran Briggs got injured early, so they couldn't nursed him through his debut a little bit as well.
Speaker 4: Also went to as well as like Petling's out of that team and he had that really low time on ground roll like that's I guess while we're keen on to start with because he had such low time on ground and he was kind of that grunt player as well. Maybe that's just where Leak's coming in. He's going to play low time on ground. But maybe that job security is higher than we think and let's yeah, let's hope that. But yeah, it was just seeing the time on ground, I was a bit like, oh, it's probably not as much as I'd want, but yeah, it was a hot day, gross out there with the cramps.
Speaker 1: So well, I've changed my defense a little bit since the last episode. We'll see the no early buy for the Lions anymore. We know West Coast and Richmond in the first month squeezing in Dane's Orco five ninety five k. That could go pear shape. We know it has before Dane's Orco Richmond and West Coast. Yeah, I've spoke about a lucky Neil could do ye last week. Okay, round two again, one is on the cart. Hilarious the change of opinion on Zorco. Though last year we were petrified to pay up for him at like three, like it would rise. It was rise in the price, like we can't pay that much with SOCCA. Now we're willing to pay what six hundred k? How much is he? There's no I can't do that.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, thirty six like the time he's undefeated, I just can't. It might be underpriced after four reuns. I know I'm seven for a season. I'm not playing for four rounds.
Speaker 1: Fans to New ball game, got the boose, got the trades. I think I want to fit him in Lockie Whitfield didn't do barely anything. Yes, they had on undred, one hundred and eleven super coach points. He's there locked in. I think at D two, Zorko at D three at the moment, just got to work out Roberts at D four. It's gonna work out what happens after that. Is it the rookies? Is it Periman? Is he too? Is that too deep? Well, I've also go on.
Speaker 4: I like, now I don't know if he might even be a point of difference now and maybe I should have saved this.
Speaker 1: We are going through our pews later on.
Speaker 4: Actually he might be so, but I've got another defender that Liam Hagen very keen on. Yeah, let's talk about him later. I like it should we get onto some of the sort of just broader topics. I think we should quickly just touch on some of the injuries. We did mention Kieran Briggs. He was out subbed. James Warple probably more draft relevant out Angus Sheldrick was probably the really big one from the weekend fans.
Speaker 1: Scratch him off. We know there's a lot of top price options in the rookie category in the midfield. Almost had too many. I think we could now probably cut him off. That was still could come out surprise as play a full game. But we've spoken about the stub risk with him. We saw it last year. Swans didn't get the job done. Cayden clear he will be back at some point eventually. Think our food suspension obviously Taylor Adams. Another injury helps Sheldrick maybe, but I think there's enough now, especially with a low score in his rolling average already, I think you could probably overlook him. Ed Allen in the midfield superstar seventy one super Coach points for him, you've locked that into his rolling average for me, automatically jumps way over Sheldrick in terms of starting options in the midfield.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, let's get onto just some broad topics here. Where do we sit at the moment? Mid price madness, guns and rookies or a fine balance of both. I've sort of already mentioned I'm I guess you could classify me going mid price madness because I'm going to try it.
Speaker 1: I think this year.
Speaker 4: I always say I'm going to do it. I never follow through. I don't think I'm going to pay up for one top price premium. I'm going to try and get under price premiums everywhere, value value value, See if I stick to my guns by the first partial lockout Thursday.
Speaker 1: But where are you sitting? Firstly, who's in one?
Speaker 4: Then Andrew Brayshaw? So I mean you could count him as a top price premium.
Speaker 1: But he's.
Speaker 4: He's not fair, he's under so lucky hundred k and shout out to Pig of the Doctor super Coach, one of my super coach friends Button nothing, No, look, we are big. He's big on not paying over six hundred k. That's the line he set six hundred k. I'm backing him in this year. I don't want to pay over six hundred k. And that includes the likes of a Harry Sheesel, includes the likes of a Nick Dakos.
Speaker 1: I think these you can get them off Harry's. You know what my best trade is? Could you leave this five? Now?
Speaker 4: Do you know what my best trade was last year? Waiting for Harry She's and bring him in under when he finally dropped price.
Speaker 1: Where did you finish last year? I started? Yeah, I started. I was doing no Harry Sheesel. I get the values there as well, but sometimes you get what you pay for. Interesting about balancing the team out, balancing that team out. So that's where I sit. Where are you at?
Speaker 3: Sim I've got I've got lucky Neil Sheesel, So yeah, I'm happy to pay up for maybe one, one or two guys like that. I don't but outside there's a lot of more mid mid price guys after that, I reckon it's like, you know, Neil actually, if I'm watching my team now, yeah, Neil M one, brace Shaw M two and there's all of M three still got Jason Lego in there, so it goes very yes, quite mid price after that.
Speaker 1: So Lego's still in there, sticking to his guns though.
Speaker 3: Yeah one and then yeah, like the defense is talking about, you know, can you get short Roberts, Perryman Fraser in at the moment?
Speaker 2: So there, so yeah, well see there we go lock and he was.
Speaker 1: Still only in twenty four percent of teams thought that might skyrocket.
Speaker 3: That changed the by change their start and actually him being available for the buy, like yeah, his buy changing.
Speaker 1: I'm just recovering from your shock.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: You sit here with you know, two of the greatest super coach mines in South Australia five names, and myself old mate, bold mate, well, old mate pig. Just there's a couple of things, have a couple of refreshments with your oh fancy enough nuts, and you've changed your thinking. You are I thought you weren't. I thought you were a man of standing chief. You've just Emily influenced.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is the big question that people want to know as well, as we said rookie Marble coming tuesday. How many rookies have on field right now to start the season. So you talk the big game, you've got these big guns. How many rookies you got on field? Do we count flets?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Count flex? All right, talk about flextoness. At the moment, I've got on field, Sam Davidson, Yep, Mitch Nevert, Levi Ashcroft, Lijah statists beIN O'Sullivan and at the moment, haven't put Perimi in. So I've got leacln Reid in the fence on field. Okay, so pretty similar.
Speaker 3: I've got the Yeah, I'm not against the strategy.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm probably balanced as well. I think, given we're all looking for that value the middle parlia, midfield, in the forward line, there's some good mid price value in defense as well. I think we're all playing a little bit of mid price madness as well. So I put myself in that balanced approach as well. Still got the big names at the top end, Shecheesel, Neil Jerry obviously the horny one I Isac Rankin. So the balance SE's probably not going to change too much. We're not expecting to be surprised with these top end rookies. It's unlikely that Phino Sali and Sadas Ashcroft, Oh Driscoll, these types don't get picked all of a sudden, see Draper. If we if we find out ahead of time that he's in the twenty two five, names might be able to give us a bit more know he wrote about the selection than the lemmas at the Crows and the Power Today on Monday Code Sports dot com dot Au. But would you start, sid Draper? Would he go ahead of some of these names we've mentioned if Matthew Nicks came out and said he's not sub and he's playing, that's a good.
Speaker 2: Question because.
Speaker 3: Him, yeah, that has Actually it's a big if at the moment, big if I think I'd still the guys that I've got, you know, your Fino Sullivan's start, as you know Levi Astro, I'd probably rather still go there. Just maybe it's because you know, we see them all the time and we maybe I've just not in my head that he's going to be a big sub risk. If it's not this week, he could be the week after he gets taken off early because they do want to manage him, so they do want to you know, bring him, you know, like trying to bring you along gradually kind of thing. So I think the risk is probably just a little too great for me given some of the other guys that are that are still are still are still around, you know. Yeah, but if you knew he's trying to play five games in a row and not Pio need to play.
Speaker 4: It's a big price to pay for sure with the guys that we think we've got available to us, but time will tell if they are available.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've ranked the Rookie Price Office. Obviously. You can listen and watch the Rookie Bible on Tuesday. You can also find my updated rookie rankings in the Super Coach News tab on your app as well. Who to pick my best options in every line, so plenty of content. They're all week, does.
Speaker 4: He I've got five rookies on field, including flex so and all rookies that I have big faith in, apart.
Speaker 1: From defense where you spending your money? I don't know.
Speaker 4: Actually when you said that, I was like, yeah, no, I don't actually still have got a bit of rookies on field. Now, I think I've got more depth in my rookies on the bench. Think I've got I've paid up for the rookies on the bench. So I think that's where I'm at, just to get the cash gen going on the bench.
Speaker 1: How much cashty on the bench? Who's only bench in the moment in the midfield? Ashcroft moved there, geez the moment. Okay, he might move back on, but he's there at the moment. Never isn't there Okay? And that's probably the two big price yep, guys. So I mean, have you said last year not paying up big time so larger? Who are going to play? Larjah Hewitt's in there? Well, I think he will.
Speaker 4: I mean the latest I thought out of Perth was that mcgualta was saying that he thinks he'll be right to be available for selection now a couple of days ago.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: I think regardless, he's probably going to sit there, like I'd be happy to have him as a rookie on the bench regardless. I think he's going to play enough games this year to be worthwhile.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: On my bench to the DPP so I quite like the DPP swing. So that's another reason. Let's move on to my next dilemma, which it sounds like you guys don't have too much of a dilemma, but rucks.
Speaker 1: How are we looking? It's been a big conversation this pre season.
Speaker 4: We've obviously got the flex as well there which you can use on any position, so a ruck could be utilized there as well. We'll talk about our flex a little bit later and who we've got there, but in terms of rocks, maybe we talk about it now as well, using the flex for a ruck early because I've got the numbers of who the top popular options in flex are from our exclusive data our patents centered across for.
Speaker 1: US team play just also got some you know, we love the input from the listeners. Kalie Williams from over there and the herald son too is Flinn r to a terrible idea, so that goes into the mix as well at this conversation. But for me, I think five names to a lot of super coaches around the country, Tristan Cherry and Tom to Coning probably not moved from there. Flinn net Flex for me at the moment, did have a rookie in there, found a bit more money. I think pretty much rookie. It's real top end. You know, he's only what forty k more expensive than Sam Lawler, who will talk about as well. But I think if he's there number one ruckman, he makes some serious cash. So he's my flex for me. Three ruckmen and you're the same.
Speaker 3: I've got TDK and yeah, Cherry, but I've got a rookie in my fleets position.
Speaker 2: No Flinn, no Flinn, Okay, don't the cash so far?
Speaker 1: What are you doing? Have you got Flynn Flynn R too? Flyin R too? For me?
Speaker 4: I'm going Tom daconing R one, trusting what I had in that hot pat.
Speaker 1: I'm ready to get her. I'm ready to get hurt again. Guys.
Speaker 4: I was an owner last year. For those that didn't listen last year, I was an owner last year. Jumped on for the beautiful one seventy six he had against his brother as captain, which made me a TDK fan for life, But went through the downs after that, which included about several weeks of donuts for no. I wasn't happy, you weren't happy with him. But I'm back on it. I've had time to heal. I'm bad. I'm ready to be hurt again, as I said, So, yeah, Tom Daconey, for me, starting the season as the solo ruck with no pitt neet, that's enough for me. I think he just gets the hitouts. We've talked about him plenty of times, hitouts advantage, but not just that. The contested possessions is his differentiator. He's able to play as an extra midfielder, but he just racks up contested possessions every touch he gets just about contested. So I'm all about it for Tommy Deconey, So he flats.
Speaker 1: My flex is a rookie at the moment.
Speaker 4: I've got sadists there at the moment, so I'm playing a bit more flexibility. I've got some DPP action in the midfield as well. You know, maybe a dossy team revealed this week's on the cards. So no Cherry or no Gorn.
Speaker 1: No, although like going to probably hurt me, he wreaked. Yeah, of course, I'm worried, petrified. I'm absolutely petrified. That's how I was starting. Interesting. Interesting, Yep, I'm with you on TDK. We're all with you on TDK.
Speaker 4: It's been talked about a bit, but the schedule that Tristian Cherry has is not an easy ruck schedule, which he you know, coming home last year, every ruck match up he had just about where he completely dominated.
Speaker 1: You know, he had a few.
Speaker 4: Obviously he played amazing football, but it seemed like every week he'd come up against a new ruck that didn't have their ruck in.
Speaker 1: It was like so and so's injured. This person's easy ruck match.
Speaker 4: It was just like a perfect It was a perfect storm. He's a gun. It was a perfect storm. Though to have that massive end of the season. I think he averaged under one hundred and ten or something heading up to his by So I just think if we're talking, as I said, this strategy that I'm attempting to try and grip my teeth through of not paying full price, that would include Tristian Cherry, who has it quite a if we're basing it on last year's data, a reasonably tough run to start the season in the rucke. So we're obviously excluding round one where he'll probably dominate against Tim English.
Speaker 1: So we're all pretty split. We're all split there in the rucks, be more similar in the forward line. Look at super coach teams across the country. We've seen what they're doing out there. There's some bargains there. It's too hard to go past. Even our man, our Peyton has conformed. Anyone have to have him Isaac Rank and F two and then the bargains that you can't ever look. Is that where you're at?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think I think four are very similar.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, no, oh no, what have you changed?
Speaker 1: What have you seen?
Speaker 4: Or so this is where I've gone, maybe tried to get a little bit tricky.
Speaker 1: So the chief, what's coming up here? To the warning? Do you enough enough warning?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Really, I don't even.
Speaker 4: Know whether it's worth Maybe it's worth waiting for the team reveal. But Luke Jackson is in my forward line at the moment, so same deal. I've got pretty much all those guys. Luke Jackson is the only one that I've got there, and it's to have a bit more flexibility with this whole ruck situation, and two in my case having Matt Flinn R two to have an escape plan if it all goes wrong. I've got an archer read as the my R three instead of Harry Boyd. Obviously, if Boyd's named, I'll probably have to switch that up and get him in there. But I've got an archer read at R three, I'm going to switch around him and Luke Jackson. If Matt Flynn gets hurt for a couple of weeks, then I don't have to waste a trade in the rock line.
Speaker 1: That's really just high level stuff. Guys, who have you left out? Then?
Speaker 4: In the forward line, I've left no one out, so I've got them all. I've just don't have a run like Davidson and what I see Davidson, I think he'll be great. I've got him still just on the bench, but I'm just not trusting him on field to start with. I think that he scored fantastic, looked great. I'd rather just wait and see if I need to shuffle that around, I can immediately just make some changes. Put Flynn in flex, putstartis. Admit, it's really high level stuff, guys.
Speaker 1: So not trusting you know, there's eyes that CaCO there as well. We know scored wellknd of Stone from the Giants now has got a sixty four point score in his rolling average. Probably more of a bench option now that he's got that score in there. Joe Barry down album is going to play Tom Lynch Thursday Night Looks on track to play one, a K A few options there, you're happy leaving them all off? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think if Sam Davidson comes off and like he's the one I trust the most and I'm happy, Like I said, I can easily just shuffle things around a bit with my vast amount of DPPs and get him on field. That's where I'm kind of just my thinking is, I want that flexibility. I want to have rookies that can play, but I don't have to rely on them. That's kind of where this old strategy is beautiful.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful, beautiful Have you changed five names anything in the Ford line? I like five names? It's very sure with his thinking back yourself in ye, well like it second guessing? Oh, can't wait see your team on Thursday night. I just want to see where it goes from here. It's taken a new path over the weekend.
Speaker 4: Can I just elaborate on my Luke Jackson pick, because that's probably just second guessing. You're just looking at it on face value, probably sounds disgusting. But look, if Shawn Darcy misses a few weeks, this is the start.
Speaker 1: Of his season.
Speaker 4: He's got Sam to coning round one, which I think could be monumental.
Speaker 1: We don't think Lean Red is going to ruck anymore.
Speaker 4: If he does, Jackson's goning to get enough time. He's got Grundy round two. At the time when I brought him in, I did think that was going to be no Grundy West Coast Round three?
Speaker 1: Does Flint player? Does Flint not play tim English? Round four?
Speaker 4: That's a I think that four pack of teams right there is solid. The other thing I like about Luke Jackson is he is a forward, and probably I think the last couple of years he's been a top six forward just without even trying, really, he's just always been there. Yes, it's usually based on him playing soul ruck for a while. This season there's word that he's going to play as a midfielder as well as a forward as well as a ruck. I think I don't know if we've really seen that before, a guy that's going to play midfield, ruck and forward. I think he's probably saved for a ninety five to one hundred plus and puts him in the frame as a top six forward. So, like I said, it's a bit of cover for my ruck, it's a bit of cover for my forward.
Speaker 1: It's a bit of as well. I don't mind it.
Speaker 2: I don't mind it.
Speaker 1: The theory is there, Yeah, thank you, interesting, thank you. Should we move on? We should? We should move on? All right?
Speaker 4: Well, that was pretty much a lot of our stuff we're talking about there. We've talked about the flex as well. The most popular flex picks according to the data, Matt Flynn ten point five eight percent. So that's the top. So that's, you know, not necessarily just a massive obvious pick in the flex, Matt Flinn. We still don't know the best way to use it, do it. We're still going to I like this, Look how low the percentages after number two It goes all the way down to five point nine to one percent people.
Speaker 1: Using Levi Ashcroft there.
Speaker 4: WHYSA CaCO is the next one two point five eight five five percent, So we're really dropping down now. Then it's Sartus never never Sheldrick's probably going to drop off there a little bit, Fino Sullivan. So it's a rookie, a rookie, Miss Mitch Mash. Bit of Caleb Daniel in there, if we drop a little bit further, but clearly the favorite at the moment, Matt Flynn to your point. So people are probably enjoying the same combo as you, guys, i'd imagine, and Matt Flynn in there at the flex.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a few questions here on X at the Phantom Messy get involved in the show every week. One for you, Dossi, yep, Given what you've just told us, Bruno says, is it worth starting a couple of super expensive players such as Gorn and Cherry simply for good captaincy options? What are you going to do for captaincy with given you're not starting the big end guys, do you have a plan?
Speaker 4: You worried about that side of it. Now, if this is the Breno, I know, I was just going to have to look, have a look. I don't think he wants my opinion. He's a bit of a Dossi hater. I'm gonna have to I don't think it's that Bruno.
Speaker 1: That Bruno used to have a go hippie as well, long time long time fans of Shower as well.
Speaker 4: Look, I just got a sense to check this one. Okay, I think we're safe. Breno alright, Sorry, sorry about that. I think my I'm going to just back in a bit of a VC on Tom to Conning to Coning, sorry to start the season with the VC. He plays the early game, a couple of eight games in a row, had that massive ceiling on him last year. So for me Tom to Coning and then fall back into Andrew Brashaw type one of my top you know, one of the players I have paid a reasonable amount for. I've also got a Jordan Dawson in there. He or Brashaw would probably be my fallback with Tom to Coning hopeful for that ceiling score and then you know, maybe use one of those potentially a little doughnut on the bench to.
Speaker 1: Loop that over. I'm nervous for him there.
Speaker 2: End of really bad.
Speaker 1: No Neil, no cherry, no cheesel. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sometimes when you just think, just approach things a little different, it's going to be a good show.
Speaker 3: You just overthink it and you think you're like a genius, and then like by thinking you're a genius and thinking you're too clever.
Speaker 1: Yeah that sums up perfect. Yeah, you're just three so over happy, happy with that assessment. Quick question here short answers Neil a primo and a rookie, So say Neil and Mirsa Swett to say or Neil and James Lake or two value primos, so Callahan and Day or Callahan and Jayden Short do you think I know we've spoken about why and you would and why you wouldn't pick those guys, But back the structure in this convers in this question here big name rookie, a big name primo and rookie, all the two mid price guys.
Speaker 2: As depends on their buy with the guards, you said, like, I think the fact that Kneels now, yeah, they didn't play last weekend. You know, to worry about that, it becomes a lot more appealing as an option. You have to worry. You're not You're not worrying.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not the end of the world if you just say, if you start with back yourself in you go with Callahan, but he's four hundred and forty k or whatever. Neil, You've got your top lightly, your top line guys missing when everyone else is.
Speaker 2: You know, in those early.
Speaker 1: Rounds, lean on that with you. Dossive one for you from Benji Bailey. Smith still got him, but now lack of info in his role preseason, not missing the official Amy series game, a bit skeptical on him. Could he be subbed out early potentially are we still on Bailey Smith? You're not worried.
Speaker 4: I think if he's I will know if he's named. If he's named, I'm going to be picking him regardless, I think. I think that's an easy decision for me. I think the alternative if he doesn't perhaps get named for whatever reason, I think we've got a couple of nice options there, like do you back in a Riley Sanders who's just a little bit cheaper, or do you just if you didn't have one of those rookies on field, you just punter and go. You know, whether it's a CaCO you didn't have on field, whether it's a Davidson who you'd had on the bench, or perhaps you know, just another player. I'd perhaps think about that. But for me, if he's known, he's infa me yep Riley Sins I think would be the replacement for me as well. So it's probably some big calls to be made. What's It All Live? Thursday Night? The Live show as well?
Speaker 1: Another question to finish off with here from our lovely Lair family, Steve Smith could Ork might not be Australian then Nick Captain Sam lawla if name round one. Do we fit him into our sides? Spider Names maybe on the bench. I would be really hesitant about starting now, Chief, Yes, you've got him into you. Ye, he's in.
Speaker 4: He was in fact going to be my because currently under ten percent owned, at least or round round about ten percent.
Speaker 1: I think that'll skyrocket, to be honest, but will tell us about him, oakes On, he's your pod, your point of difference from the hip hipster's not a round five Names owns the segment. Now we're going to do a little segment to finish off, aren't we. Okay, well, I'll bring in another player. I'll talk about Sam Laula quickly. Then I'll bring another player tape. We could do this properly.
Speaker 4: Sam Lawler, though around ten percent owned, I would personally pay up the big dollars for him. And it's only from a little glimpse. I saw again the Mighty Beagles in a in a pre season pre preseason match. Was Eliot's part by the plane. I think he might have been Yeah, that was that might have been the worst. Yeah. I think in their lineup, job security is massive. We've heard today he played in the final sort of match hit out or a match sim game we are recording on a Monday afternoon. The news was that he played in a full hit out, no no contact cap wearing on their playing full hitout And yeah, I just think he's going to have a nice role split between mid and forward.
Speaker 1: And I feel like every number.
Speaker 4: One pick that we've had recently that plays in a midfield, forward or mid essentially he's a mid.
Speaker 1: At heart role eventually becomes a guy that we want.
Speaker 4: I think if he plays enough forward, he'll be he'll get that forward DPP nice and early job security, job security, job security for rookies. Feel like he'll actually have some fieldable scores on field. From what I saw, he looked exceptional, So he's nice. We saw, you know, Finn Callahan number two pick. We had some questions on at the end of the day. Number two pick. Guys, this guy's the number one as well, So just factoring that's the scouting usually pre spot on guys, who's your other pot? Then for kick us off, shooting from the hit the first official segment of the year, Shooting from the hip. Our points of difference, that is what we go by here on the lair.
Speaker 1: Spread.
Speaker 4: I'm going with Sam de Coning as my point of difference and team both of the I'm going both Da Cony. I'm talking about defenders. Earlier, three hundred and sixty one K did not put up a good performance in the tri match. Everyone's jumped off. He's only look, I said, under ten percent. He's ten point four percent owned defender eligible three hundred and sixty K. He's going to be playing in the ruck. Dan Batton over in Geelong, He's saying he's going to be playing in the ruck. He's been training up for all pre season to do so. Sam to Coning for me my point of difference.
Speaker 1: It's only been seven days since we've been in here, five days. What has happened to the chief? He said, I don't know what happened on a long weekends at this time of year for me full to pieces as the new owner of the segment, he overtook from our man the hipster. I did they fright? Good night him literally and then in the segment, what have you got for us?
Speaker 3: Because I've been so prominent in this, I've kind of told you all min yeads like you know, it's what It's still a pod, no way, isn't Fraser obviously still be on here, but still got there.
Speaker 1: You've stuck your guns. Preasure is a pod still.
Speaker 3: I mean bray Shaw's man too, like damn. I mean I've kind of just given you all the gold.
Speaker 1: Fair fair you come into your own when we get to trading.
Speaker 2: Yes, where we had to trade in next week, but actually don't want not actually want to. I want to bring up just one people monitor at the moment after this is by Josh Kelly, just for a little one to always monitor. Here's a guy we always know can store, has been able to store well in the past. Just needs that.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying do it, saying maybe just want to monitor, especially if everyone's going Callahan, you know all the hyps around Callahan to kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Maybe just Kelly could run it back.
Speaker 1: We go fans round us out here. I don't really have any pods.
Speaker 2: Your vanilla Vanilla fan.
Speaker 1: That's what happens when you know, when you're the fan, people listen to you. They start they start picking the same team. It's a compliment people listening, Dossie. But I'll tell you who my lowest own play is at the moment. Tell you two ten point two percent of teams obviously they're not listening to us any more about this guy. James Peeling Wow, good fall down. He good four under ten with the will Days, the Callahans, the rookies are being named. He could be under ten percent pod. I'm sticking with him three point fifty two k. He didn't do a lot or wasn't massive in Damous Hues game against Brisbane led the Croziers seat for the possessions in that center about smixed. Going to be in the first choice every time, although he did start against Brisbane, but so that opportunity for him. We've seen he can score in his limited game time up in Western Sydney, so I'm backing him in Danes orco even as well. So Lolliams is a big pod, big high ceiling.
Speaker 2: This is going to absolutely blow up in your face.
Speaker 1: One name we'll mention though, there's a bit of a pod to keep an eye on. If five names going down that path. James Warpole injured. If you want a bit of a cheaper option to your will Days, Ben Callahan's sixteen touches on Friday Night, eleven contested possessions stepped up when Warpoole went off cam McKenzie speaking about high draft picks ninety seven super coach points for him. We know he in the back end of last year I think I think it was around twenty four, had the career highest boss, then was injured, then couldn't get back in to the side for the finals. So we know we can play clean as a good super coach game. Could he be the beneficiary of wooput injury and maybe when will Da gets tagged, so Cam McKenzie keep an eye on him.
Speaker 4: Wow, pull to finish off. I reckon that's huge. Well, what's our final thoughts? You know, as we said, we'll be jumping on a few pods and streams and whatnot throughout the week. The lair, the final lair before the season. You guys think my team's falling apart, Fancy's gone full of vanilla sim sort of somewhere in the middle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 1: What do we any final advice?
Speaker 4: Any final thoughts on this mad preseason, the new flex everything, what sort of.
Speaker 1: Back yourself in I think, and just keep an eye out this week. Plenty of news is going to happen. The teams are going to dictate what we do. What rookie is a name what rookies aren't named, Have some backup plans. Go over your team the next few days. Have a look where you might pivot if something goes wrong at team selections. You don't want to be coming up with an alternative at six pm on Thursday night when someone's not named, just before the first bounce, So have some backup plans ready to go. Look at your team now.
Speaker 2: Also, don't schedule a haircut for Thursday night.
Speaker 1: Hipster ow Man, yep, if you are just joining us here in the Lair for the first time all the first season, our man the hipster almost a former former panelist, can't find hasn't been here. Got a haircut one night early in the Life of the Lair on a Thursday night, got a haircut rup before lockout. Panic, something happened at teams ended up with Ree Stanley. Stanley had a panic haircut, ran over just it was a mess, sums up, sums out our friend Gifters. So clear the time on Thursday night and come and find us. If you do live in Adelaide, the Chief will buy you will be if you come and find us and tell us you listen to the Lair, we'll be out somewhere somewhere, good luck, enjoy it, trust your gut.
Speaker 4: Don't let other people tell you what to do, like I won't let these guys.
Speaker 1: We'll see you on the other side.
Speaker 4: Goodbye.