Speaker 1: Oh hello and welcome to Healthy Ish and at Big Happy New Year. You have tuned into the podcast from Body and Soul. I am your host of Felicity Harley to inspire your twenty twenty five. We're actually dropping the top Healthyish episodes from last year and this one is the perfect one to kick start your best new year. Naturopathic doctor, women's health expert and author of book The Metabolism Reset, Lara Brydon joined us in the studio to help us make sense of metabolic health, including signs of metabolic inflexibility and what to do about it, what to eat and daly habits to improve it. Now, if you want some more inspo for the new year, listening to extra healthy Ish, where she discusses signs you might be insulin resistant, you can search for that podcast. Well rerever get your podcasts. Laura, Welcome to Healthy Ish, Thanks for having me, and well done on your new book.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: It's how do I describe this? It's just packed with so much good info and I feel like it's that put down, pick up kind of book. And so I guess that it took a long time to write.
Speaker 2: It did about about a year and a half with some input from various other experts from which I'm very grateful.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, there is one question that jumped down that I want you to answer for me, and that was from your husband, yerhaps expert, perhaps not, and he asked, in what way is metabolic health different from just health?
Speaker 2: I know, think of it this way. Metabolic health is about yourselves having all the energy they need to do whatever it is they need to do. So good underlying metabolic health can support healthy immune system, healthy digestion, healthy mental health. There's actually a big metabolic mental health movement going on at the moment, and healthy female hormone health. And so that's the bridge from my previous work because my real passion is menstruation, perimenopause, female hormones. And from twenty five years of working with patients, plus writing my other two books, I was able to see quite clearly that metabolic health can be a major factor in women's health.
Speaker 1: How can you tell, I mean, in a nutshell, I suppose if you're metabolically healthy or unhealthy? Because we can't look at ourselves, so what are some size exactly?
Speaker 2: You can't actually zoom in and ask your metochondria or the parts of your cells. I mean that would be notice you do it and getting enough energy today, but you can feel whether you're getting enough energy. So one of the first signs of something called metabolic inflexibility as opposed to metabolic flexibility is being less able to access your own body fat stores for energy, and that can lead to finding it very difficult to go between meals without reaching for a snack. That's a common experience. That's not someone's fault. That's the fact that their bodies, all the nuts and bolts of metabolism, are not able to tap into that energy source the way they should be. And of course that's reversible. So that's the point of the book, is to return to a place where you can access your body fat stores for energy. The other aspect, important aspect of metabolic dysfunction is having something called insulin resistance. I know from experience with my patients and my followers, and everyone half tunes out when they hear that term. It needs a rebranding, but it.
Speaker 1: Does doesn't because it sounds very sciencey and oh, I don't even want to think of I know that, how would you rebrand it?
Speaker 2: I think it's something in the word resistance that people feel immediately that sounds hard. Yes, So insulin resistance is the state of having chronically elevated levels of the hormone insulin. One of the most important downstream effects of that is insulin. Chronically elevated insulin impairs fat burning and makes it difficult for all the parts of your body that are trying to get access to your body fat stores to do that. So it is about trying to get insulin down. So maybeally elevated insulin might be another term for it.
Speaker 1: That sounds a bit more serious.
Speaker 2: I guess it does.
Speaker 1: Does That could be a good thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But people are familiar with having high cortisol, for example, they think, oh, yes, high cordisol. That's a thing that sounds bad. It's actually high cordisol is related to high insulin. High insulin helps communicate a bit more what's going on, and of course, untreated, it can progress to pre diabetes and eventually type two diabetes. It's also called metabolic syndrome in the science. When I was looking at all the old papers around this. When metabolic syndrome was first described, the original experts called it insulin resistant syndrome. So it's that central and I agree we should go back to that. Yeah, of course, metabolic syndrome is the cluster of high blood pressure, high tricoly strides or cholesterol, and potentially weight gain around the middle. People can have insulin resistance without having really noticeable weight gains. So there is this disconnect between just body size and what's going on metabolically, which I hope I've managed to communicate in the book. And the weight associated with insulin resistance is inside the abdomen. It's like, it's not the soft kind weight fat you can see on the outside of your body. It's deep inside and it sort of can feel like a like a hardness under the ribcage or sort of a thickening through the waist.
Speaker 1: So what's your I mean, is what's your advice around determining whether you're insulin resistance as a matter of just going getting you know, triglycerides tested, cholesterol, et cetera, et cetera, Is that the first stop.
Speaker 2: Triglysrides are an excellent starting place. I was just I just read a Twitter thread this morning just saying, you know, don't hor complicate things. High triglysrides are a really good surrogate biomarker. For insulin resistance, but I dedicated a whole chapter two testing, so I talk about some other common tests that people might already have on their reports from their GP. You can also measure the hormone insulin, and I talk about that in the book. But just an important takeaway is that having a normal blood glucose or a normal what's called HbA one C cannot rule out insulin resistance.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, Yeah, Actually I just wore a CGM for a few weeks, a continuous glucose master, because I was really I mean, I love trying everything, and I just wanted to see whether you know what my insulin was doing and how my blood sugar levels were when I after I ate. Do you think that's a good thing or right?
Speaker 2: So that's measuring glucose yep, sorry, insulin. Yes, a lot of people do kind of conflict.
Speaker 1: Oh there we go. Yes, I just completely joined.
Speaker 2: Thereat too importantly with insulin resistance. With chronically elevated insulin, people can and do have episodes of low blood sugar. Oh interesting, So it's not synonymous with high blood sugar. I talk a little bit about the cgms or the continuous glucose monitors in the book. I think if people are interested and can afford it and want to put it in the right context, it can be a tool. But there's lots of ways to assess metabolic health and get healthier without having to go that route.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just want to mention something else in your book that I actually really enjoyed and think is really valuable. And you talk a lot about taking the shame out of well metabolic dysfunction and that it's not our fault. Can you expand on this.
Speaker 2: Well, it started three generations ago because of something called epigenetics, which is we've only discovered we only known about epigenetics for twenty five or thirty years. It's the fact that what we're exposed to in terms of food and stress levels and toxins, we can pass on to our offspring. So something changed with the food supply about anywhere between fifty to seventy years ago, and we're now seeing an amplifying of that. Every generation is born with a greater risk of insulin resistance compared to the generation before. And of course that doesn't mean it's written in still and people can still do something about it and still reverse it. But of course the scientists are scrambling to figure out what went wrong with the food environment. I dedicate a chapter to that to try to survey all the different possibilities.
Speaker 1: And I think you take the just takes a bit of the guilt, the self guilt out of But I can't make healthy decisions all the time. Well no, because in this environment where signs are shouting at us, prices are low. You know, there's not enough fresh fruit and veggies around us.
Speaker 2: And another takeaway, one of the most important symptoms of metabolic dysfunction or insulin resistance is feeling abnormally hungry, like abnormally high hunger. So given that's a common almost everyone who has insulin resistance is probably going to have that symptom. Given that fact, how cool is it that we just tell people to try to eat less?
Speaker 1: Yeah, cruel? Now, just quickly before we go, what's one key thing we should all be doing today to improve our metabolic health?
Speaker 2: What I do isn't necessarily what's going to work for every single person. I mean I just as an example, I was thinking about this this morning. I often try to have leftover dinner for breakfast, like I have meat for breakfast, just because I find that really stabilizes my energy throughout the day, and I personally enjoy walking and yoga, but that's not the right fit for everybody, so I guess, as you know, the book is a troubleshooting manual to try to find what are the next best steps for each individual person. But a really simple one that probably everyone needs to do if they're not doing it already, is to cook at home most of the time.
Speaker 1: And I know that's hard but doable. Alara, thank you for coming on healthy Ish. Thank you, Thank you for listening to this interview. As part of our twenty twenty four summer series. There are plenty more awesome epps for your ears, both from healthy Ish and our big sister podcast, Extra healthy Ish. If you did like this interview, please take you quick minute to share it with a friend. If you do want any other info, head to body andsoul dot com dot you follow us on socials. Any feedback please dm me at Felicity Harley and until tomorrow, enjoy the sun and stay healthy is