Speaker 1: The public has had a long held fascination with detectives. Detective sy aside of life the average person is never exposed to. I spent thirty four years as a cop. For twenty five of those years I was catching killers. That's what I did for a living. I was a homicide detective. I'm no longer just interviewing bad guys. Instead, I'm taking the public into the world in which I operated. The guests I talk to each week have amazing stories from all sides of the law. The interviews are raw and honest, just like the people I talk to. Some of the content and language might be confronting. That's because no one who comes into contact with crime is left unchanged. Join me now as I take you into this world. My guest today is six foot five, one hundred and eight en kilos and one of the most feared heavyweights in the UFC. Rando, the Balkan Bear. Perachic grew up in Adelaide with an absent father in prison, a single mum working two jobs, and a childhood full of bullying, anger, and pain. He didn't know how to handle it all. He got expelled from school, worked as a bouncer in some of Adelaide's roughest pubs, got stabbed, bottled, and attacked with machetes and still found a way to turn it all around. In this episode, Brando and I have an honest conversation about depression, faith, fighting and what it actually takes to become one of Australia's top UFC fighters. Have a listen, Brando the Balkan Bear, Peris Chick. Welcome to our Catch Killers.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Gary, Well, I'm excited to have you. I'm a bit of a combat sports fan, so you know, to have a UFC fighter heavyweight, but that on the podcast very exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's great to be here. Obviously, not many people know who I am. Yeah, I've already been in the USC for the last eight months, so yeah. Yeah, it's been a ten year long journey and we've just really started.
Speaker 1: So you're starting to make a name for yourself. You have three fights in the UFC and two first round t ks and the third fight was the second round t K.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The last fight was probably my best fight.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: The first fight I had had some adversity, some nerves, the second fight the same thing, and then the last fight I just fell at home.
Speaker 2: You know, I really felt like the UFC has right belong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, your number one fan, Andrew Carpenter, made of mine, made of yours. And Andrew's been on the podcast, has solicited that does a lot of work in the child child protection space. A really good fellow. But he raves about you.
Speaker 2: Oh mate.
Speaker 3: We just did a charity event in Adelaide, and it's just he was actually my spirring partner back in the day. Yeah, so it was amazing to have him there. He's always supported me and yeah, we we actually raised a lot of money because of him and his connections. He says it's because of me, but he puts so much effort in. We had nine days to prepare and yeah, he's a champion.
Speaker 1: No, he's a good and put it in perspective. He claims that he taught you everything you know about fighting, So he does. He did.
Speaker 3: And I remember when I first started, He's to kick me on the groin every single spiring session.
Speaker 2: So I actually hated sparring with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, I think there was a bit of a what do you call it, I don't know, rivalry. Two big guys were just going at it. I didn't have much technique.
Speaker 1: Well, getting in there early before you get experience and get the drop on it. Okay, so you're six foot five, one hundred and eighteen kilos or what you sit at when you're fighting, I'll say, a scary looking dude, and you fight for a living. Gentle giant, A gentle giant. Most people's perception of a person that fights for a living is a little bit different. I'm going to put you on the spot right from the start and ask you a hard question. I think it's a hard question. Who are you describe yourself? How would you describe yourself?
Speaker 3: You know what, that's actually a very hard question. Yeah, who am I I'm just me. I am who I am. I'm trying to be better every day. I'm not perfect human, I'm having a experience and yeah, I'm just trying to be the best person I can be. So I'm a kid from Adelaide. I grew up in a very sort of European upbringing, walk you want to call it. Yeah, yeah, you know. I live with my grandparents and my mum had a little hobby farm. So country kid. Always loved martial arts, loved Bruce Lee, loved Mike Tyson. So I was always fighting, and every time my grandparents had people come over the house for dinner or lunch, I'll be kicking them in the legs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be trying to fight them. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you know, I'm just a kid from Adelaide chasing his dream and I found a little bit of greatness inside of me and I'm just trying to nurture that and become someone special.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, isn't it. A lot of people go through life and not find what rocks their boat or their what their journey is. But do you seem to be very laser focused on what you want to do now and where you're heading.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think everyone should find their purpose in life and just go for it. I don't know what my purpose was. I was a very lost youth kid, and I just I don't know. I feel like I had something great inside of me, Like I felt like I could be someone, and even though people around me, where it was family of friends, told me I couldn't and I was nobody. You know, they call me stupid fat. I just get bullied a lot. I just didn't believe it. I was like, no, I'm special, like God put me here on this earth. I'm here for a reason.
Speaker 1: Well, to have that belief in yourself is important. And there's one I've heard you say that about yourself. Don't mistake the kindness for weakness. I like to find that an interesting saying. Explain what you mean by that.
Speaker 3: I've always been like a kind hearted person, even as a kid, and I think that made me a target maybe, and I think people take advantage of that. You get a lot of narcissists and manipulators and just nasty people that want to use you and they see your kindness and they take it for weakness. They try to take and take and they try to Yeah, like I've just experienced it throughout my whole life, always been bullied and always try to treat people how I want to be treated, and sometimes people just take the piss. So, you know, even in school, man, I was in year eight, my first day of a year eight, the year twelve, try to pick on me, you know, and I was like bigger than them. I was like, I don't want to fight, guys, I don't want to fight, and you know they started, I had to finish it. Yeah, I was protecting myself so that happened throughout my whole life. And yeah, so I'm a kind man, I'm also a dangerous man. When I was younger, I didn't know how to control it. And that's why mixed martial arts saved my life because now I can control it. If I get in a situation, I can diffuse it, I can walk away.
Speaker 2: If I have to, I can run away.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's it's people, especially young men, who don't know how to control their emotions.
Speaker 2: That's when it's dangerous.
Speaker 1: I want to I want to talk about that, like the fighting arts that I'm a big supporter of that to keep kids and it doesn't have to just be the boys the girls out of trouble because it teaches them at a skill that makes them discipline and then they learned to control it. Just rewinding to the bullies, you would see some of the toughest men on the planet now in the world that you're moving in the in the UFC, A lot of the tough guys or the bullies that we saw at school, they were hiding fear. That's my take on it. And I saw it when I was in the cops, so i'd see people that were muscled up and covered in tattoos, and underneath it was a little boy that was scared and that quite often makes them go down that path for being bullies or heading their life up in the wrong direction. Do you agree with that.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent?
Speaker 3: I was scared. I was scared my dad. I went to jail when I was younger. He never came home. So I had the fan for myself. I had to protect my mother, and you know, I had a lot of fear, and I've seen a lot of things in my younger days, and you know, I didn't trust people that much. And what between the corner of a dog, it's going to buy y Yeah, you know, so I think a tough man and I respect men who can control all their emotions, who can protect their family, be kind, loving, compassionate, you know, play with their kids, their daughter.
Speaker 2: Their son.
Speaker 3: And also like a tough man isn't someone who beats up their kids or their wife or other people acts you know, strong and a strong man is someone who sometimes has to back down and walk away, you know. So you know, my father, in my opinion, was a weak man, and you know, I still respect him. And he did the wrong thing. He paid the price because he paid that price. I didn't have to. Maybe I would have.
Speaker 1: You think you learn a lesson from from your father's father's mistakes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. You know, I never understood why. I don't know. I don't get a chance to ask him what he did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, all I know is that he went away and after that we never had a relationship. I'll go visit him in jail as a kid, and that was my sort of youth.
Speaker 1: That's hard, isn't it, Because I speak to a lot of people that had actually ended up being in jail themselves, but the memories of when they're a kid and their parents. Sometimes it was both parents in jail, And there's a shame, there's confusion, there's a whole range of things that can fuck you up in as a young kid developing. For sure, tell us a little bit more depth about your childhood. So you know, the Balkan bear, what's the background?
Speaker 3: So, yeah, my dad's side is full croation, my mom's side is half creation, half bosling. And yeah, I just grew up like I love fishing, love hunting. I used to, like, you know, bite the heads off of fish, and like just I was a crazy kid. You know, but yeah, I just the way I fight as well. It's pretty ruthless, pretty relentless, and there's not much emotion. If you look at my face, it's sort of a killer. So when you see a bet ripop rip open, a salmon or a moose, it's got no emotion. And that's how I fight. So my uncle gave me the name many years ago and it just stuck stuck with you.
Speaker 1: Did you enjoy your childhood?
Speaker 3: I did very beautiful mother, grandparents, and I was actually very fortunate. When I was actually growing up, I thought I had a ship children. But now I look at it and I compare it to other people's I'm like, wow, I was actually very lucky. I grew up on a farm. I rode motorbix, had animals. I had very loving grandparents and mother. But I was an angry kid and I sort of ran away from home as well. And yeah, when I look at it now, man, I had a great childhood. Where do you reckon that anger came from? Oh, just my dad leaving, not coming back, not wanting to be around me. I could understand it. Like when I don't have kids, I'm not married, I haven't got a partner. But when I see my mates with their kids, I look at that, I'm like, how could you leave that?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Like to me, it's just weakness. And I saw my dad recently actually, and it was good to see him. But it's a long time between drinks and try to rekindle. But I've got my own life and he's got his, and yeah.
Speaker 1: It would be hard. What about schooling. You said you were bullied at school, Well, I would suggest the bullies might have came at second best. Many times did you start bullying other kids? Did it was it behavior that you were bullied? Or did you have enough emotional intelligence and empathy not to be a bully? Were you?
Speaker 3: I mean, I can't say no or yes, But like I basically bullied the bullies, you know what I mean? Like, if I saw the older kids picking on someone else, I would bully them.
Speaker 2: Two rights that make it wrong.
Speaker 3: So really I was a bully myself because those kids were picking on someone else, I was picking on them. So I did the wrong thing as well. But yeah, I never I never really started anything directly. It was always sort of I was defending myself. I was defending somebody else. So I could have done better.
Speaker 1: Well, we all could do better. I got into a lot of fights when I was a kid at school because I was fairly quiet, and people think, okay, well, he's not not reacting. I should have reacted at the start and resolved the issue earlier. But I'd let it build and then then yeah, then unleash. And that's probably not the most sensible way of doing things. Yeah, for sure, school in education? Did you buy into education? Were you? Don't laugh? I got to ask this question. I'm a scholar, right, professor, Yeah, did you see much sense in or you're more interested in riding bikes around the farm and fishing and just doing what boys do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I actually did enjoy school. Yeah, but because I got bullied so much, I hated it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I was still to this day dyslexic. I struggled to read and write and I had a real bad starter kid. So yeah, school was very hard for me. And when I was a kid, I only spoke Croatian, and then I struggled to English, so my family only spoke to me in English.
Speaker 2: And now I don't even know one language.
Speaker 1: I don't know creation, I don't totally confusing. Well, you've had all the all the boxes ticked to get but we didn't.
Speaker 2: If I was fat as I was fat as fuck as well.
Speaker 1: So it's just the bully's dream, yeah, and coming in don't poke the bear though, Yeah, no, I could imagine. So did you getting yourself into trouble in school?
Speaker 3: Well, my first third of year I got suspended. The year Tools picked to me. I had a big fight with them. They picked me because someone sprayed wog on some year Tools car and they blamed me right, and they just they were surrounding me and they just wanted to fight. So I was like, let's go, and then just started just started fighting and I was the one to blame. And yeah, I got suspended. So my mum, you know, a single mom, she was working two jobs, she had two kids, and she put me in a good school. You know the only reason I went to that school was because my best friend Nick, who went there. Yeah, and she was going to put me just in a public school, and I didn't want to be around those type of people. I wanted to go to a better school because I knew, like, if I'm around these people who they literally go there, they're selling drugs, they're doing all kinds.
Speaker 2: Of bad things, So I didn't want to be around that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know it's important, isn't it, Because you are shaped by your environment as a kid, and if you get dropped into an area like that, you want to be. Yeah, you gravitate towards where the popular kids are or what's going on, and you can go down the wrong path. Did you have any good role models? You're like your mom. You speak highly of your mom, your grandparents.
Speaker 3: My grandparents amazing, very hard working people.
Speaker 2: My mom.
Speaker 1: Did they immigrate over to Australia? Did they? Yeah?
Speaker 3: They immigrated in the sixties, I believe, or maybe seventies. So it's funny though, because I always had this picture in my head, you know, the Croatians wogs. They come at one suitcase on a boat and they start this life, and you know, they worked very hard. But I thought, you know, their bloody chucking bodies off the boat and you know, like it was like a three month journey, you know. Yeah, and last last week when I saw them, they're like, oh, yeah, we had two pools and it was a great all the future can imagine it. So like you came on a cruise ship, that's what the boat I was picturing in my head.
Speaker 1: Right, So you brought into that, I bought into it. I look, I think full credit to them, like, regardless of how they got here. And there's some tough journeys of people finding that finding the country they want to live in. But anyone that uproots from a country and then starts a new life, it's gutsy, isn't it?
Speaker 2: For sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Imagine, Sorry, I actually did it myself. Well, you went over the New Zealand, didn't you? Yeah, over the Walklan.
Speaker 3: So I literally had one suitcase, jumped on a flight, went to a new country and knew nobody. So I sort of like, if my grandparents can do it in the sixties or seventies, I can do it, okay. And that was actually a big help for me because it's hard to leave you your hometown.
Speaker 1: Most definitely, did they did they rain you in at all? Did you get any any good advice from people going you can't solve these problems with your fists or what was a what was the sort of.
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 3: Not many words, but the actions, the actions over the years, they told me a lot of integrity, respect and just very hard, loyal, humble people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they swear a lot. That's where I get it from.
Speaker 1: That's a descriptive word. Sometimes it helps, yeah, you know, but yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Think the actions really just played a big role. And I had a lot of morals as a kid, and my friends even today like, yeah, they're great people because I chose to hang around great people.
Speaker 1: When did you leave school?
Speaker 3: I've got to expel from your ten Okay, what happened there? Have a guess mate?
Speaker 1: Oh no, you weren't fighting.
Speaker 3: Well I had to fight, right, I had to fight, And there was a full circle moment because before my last fight, yeah, it was sixteen years since I went to school, and the last tie was at school. I got arrested by two cops and I got expelled, and then sixteen years later, I get greeted to a school by two cops.
Speaker 2: I'm doing a speech in front of all these kids.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, that's a big turn around, isn't it?
Speaker 3: And I hate public speaking like podcasts and stuff is okay, But to stand in front of a classroom of kids, you know, I actually got very nervous, more nervous than I would for a fight. And because I'm dyslexic, I had to memorize my whole speech. There was no notes. Yeah, it was all in here, and I had twenty four hours to prepare. So I started the speech. It was supposed to be like, you know, introduced myself, and then I was like, I never started a fight, but I never walked away from one. That's my biggest downfall. What do you think I said? I never started a fight, I never finished one. That's my biggest downfall. And all the kids are like, you know, and I'm there for anti you know, like punching coward punch campaign and I'm talking about I didn't feel a fight.
Speaker 2: So that was my biggest downfall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well look you've got to get the message out. But yeah, get the speech speech, So all of that, but that coward punch, I know, Danny Green did a lot of I know Danny and he's done a good man that very very good man. It feels very strongly about it. But also the parents of the young kid that was assaulted here we've had on the not just assaulted, was killed by the one punch and where that campaign started from. And it's a good message.
Speaker 3: It is because it is a coward cowardly act. And I've been hit many times from behind. Yeah that's why actually never went out really as a kid or a teenager. Yeah, I was working security a lot, and even as a security guard, people come up and they.
Speaker 2: Used to call it a dog shop.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know what I mean, They're coming from behind and they'll creep up on you and then yeah, yeah, I've been bottled as well. So for vodka bottle that knocked me out. Yeah, I woke up in a puddle of blood.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it needs to be called out for what trying to kill someone. Yeah, it's shameful. And even the idiots that don't even comprehend it, someone could die like where the campaign sated from, hit from behind and hit your head on the on the concrete.
Speaker 3: And I think we need to educate the youth though, because even as a youth, I wasn't aware you could kill someone from a punch. Yeah you know what I mean, I really like I was naive. So I had many fights on and like in school out of school, on the field, off the field, I paid a lot of rugby and football.
Speaker 2: And when I think about it, like, man.
Speaker 1: You realize how lucky you're.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know I could have been. I could have killed someone.
Speaker 3: I could have gone to jail, I could have ruined my whole life for just what a bit of ego, a bit of frustration.
Speaker 2: Man. The gym saved my life.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, yeah, well that that there comes that discipline that I talk about. And I still around boxing gyms and kids heading off in the wrong direction and come in there and they are in fights all the time, and you think, and you speak to the wider public, and they don't understand the oncept that, Okay, so you've got a kid that's in trouble for fighting, and you're going to bring him into a gym and teach him how to fight, and that's going to solve the problem. They see as you're just teaching him to fight. But what I found is that the kids, once they learned how to fight, and they also learned they couldn't fight as well as they thought they could, which is always funny when the tough guy comes into the gym and thinks he could take anyone out because he just gets cranky and he gets lit up by this little five foot two, small blow. It looks like an accountant, And so it teaches them that, yeah, there's a discipline. But the discipline also I think points him in the right direction for life. And sometimes it doesn't work. But the majority of people I see that dedicate themselves and we're talking fighting. It doesn't have to be that. Any discipline that sort of works for them can change their life.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think hitting now and had there.
Speaker 3: Even jiujitsu jitsu is an amazing thing and I've see a lot of kids now doing it. And when I have kids one day, that's the first marshal, last time and get them to do you know, and then you get into kickboxing mma, you know. I love jiu jitsu. Jiu Jitsu is actually the first martial art actually did. Yeah, so that's that's like when you can control your body and control someone else, like you don't have to hit them to control them.
Speaker 2: That's a very powerful thing.
Speaker 1: That that is a powerful thing. And people that might understand what we're talking about here, it's more of a controlling discipline that you can put people in a lock or an armbar or something and contain them without the actual hitting them where they can collapse and hit the head.
Speaker 3: I mean, there was even a few security guards back when I was with security that actually killed people because they put them a headlocks, you know, and they didn't they didn't know what they were doing, and they kill people.
Speaker 2: So just to know when someone's you know.
Speaker 3: People like I put people to headlocks before, and they don't know how to tap, they don't know how to stop it.
Speaker 2: They'll just try to pull it in. Yeah.
Speaker 1: In the cops, I came across a lot of people bounces as you want to call them, or security people, and that there's good ones, there's bad ones, and you see the ones and not just security. I'd see it in cops to the ones that were always involved in a punch up or in the salt, and a lot of the times it was because of the way they spoke to people. And I saw that with some people working the doors, Like there's a different way of speaking. If you've got a bloke that's turning up there and causing trouble, there's a way that you can speak to them without escalating. But if you're yeah, if you're looking for a fight, it's very easy to get one if you're standing on the door, for sure.
Speaker 3: I think every security guard or bodyguard or whoever I should be doing some kind of martial arts should learn how to control themselves emotionally because when I was doing it, I started at eighteen, I finished about twenty one, twenty two. I still wasn't in control of my emotions. So I always try to talk to people and I always try to go down that route.
Speaker 2: By then, when it kicked off, it kicked off, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And I got put in the worst pubs and clubs in Adelaide, you know.
Speaker 1: And there would be bad.
Speaker 3: They actually called us a clean up crew. So it was me and two big Nigerian guys. One was a boxer, one was just like a friend of mine, and we would our boss will put us in these clubs, these pubs and they'll be bikeis norms, and they would always go there and cause trouble and we'll just have to clean get rid of them, and they then go down without a fight. So I've been stabbed, got stabbed there from behind. I turned around and like I heard his footsteps. He was trying to get me in the in the gut. I've been bottled. Yeah, I've been attacked with machetes, hammers. So when when it's time to go, you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also, many knives poured on me and like Razor blades.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's a it's a tough, tough way to make.
Speaker 3: A living, it is, and it's very dangerous and I respect them. But yeah, a lot of people don't last that long in the industry, so there's always new people coming in. You know, you get you get three days of training and of course and then you get your license kind of thing. I'm pretty sure that's still how it is, much if.
Speaker 1: You sort of the cleanup crew. Because I see some people that are put on the doors, and yeah, you don't judge a book by its cover, you know that as well as I do. Some people can look after themselves and they don't look like they can't. But you see some people naively think it's like just telling kids to behave It's not like that. It can get very ugly, very quickly on the door, especially the wrong type of establishment, and when the if the Bikings turn up or someone else turns up like that, they're looking to make a name and they don't respect being told what to do.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've seen a guy a glass as woman with a full a sort of glass like this, yeah, right in front of me, and my first instinct was to lay them out. You know, and that poor woman her health faces just you know, so when something like that happens, it's hard to control yourself, you know. Yeah, So I saw a lot of things, man, Like I had a guy that got stabbed in the arm and hit his artery in vain, and I don't like blood. That was traumatizing and I was trying to cover him up and blood squirting out everywhere. I can still see it in my head, you know. So it's pretty horrible.
Speaker 2: It's nasty, you know.
Speaker 1: It's like that. But that's how Yeah, as a homicide detective, if I turn up the jobs where someone's been stabbed once and you're not thinking they're going to die, but it hits the wrong place, and yeah, that's the that's the consequences.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you would have seen a lot of horrible things in your time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, a lot of horrible things. And a lot of people think, like there's all different types of murders, you know, the serial killers or contract killings, that type of thing. A lot of times murders happened stupid things like you've described. You know, someone gets into an argument over the way he looked at the person or whatever, and yeah, I punch and they're dead.
Speaker 2: How did you do with it going through those things?
Speaker 1: I think when you when you're doing the job, like you carry the emotion like I don't think you're a good homicide detective. And if you've got empathy for the victims and understand what's gone on, but you've got a job to do. Because I've spoken to a lot of homicide cops since I've left the police, and they're all all the same. Like when you're doing it, if there's murder, you called the murder, so your focus. You've got a job to do, so you don't really carry all the emotion because you step by step trying to solve it. When you get home, sometimes you sit at home and it sort of goes, yeah, that was pretty heavy. Or other times, because you're on call a lot, you sit there and you think, fuck, I hope the phone doesn't ring. I just you're seeing home, relaxing and knowing that if the phone rings, you could be end up in some horror scene and doing what you do.
Speaker 3: But would you have like a constant anxiety or like expectation for things have happened?
Speaker 1: I think you get used to the chaos, if that makes sense that you do it so much. It was just that was your norm. And I think I was lucky that I just had the ability to leave it, just chill out. And you know, we're talking coming in here about training. Training helped me a lot, Like, no matter what pressure I was feeling at work, I'd gather a gym and get someone light me up, kick me in the head or whatever, and you concentrate. You're concentrating there and that was sort of an outlet. That was a relief. But yeah, each person deals with it, deals with it differently. But I think the thing is you've got a job to do. I think about the ambos because in the policing, like a homicide for twenty years, went to a hell of a lot of homicides, But when I was in uniform for a couple of years, went to some fatal accidents. They're bad, Like, yeah, there, and that could happen to anyone normally with a homicide, Okay, this is happen because that happened. Then you see an accident, you think, geez, anyone in your family, anyone that you love, could end up end up that way. So yeah, pretty pretty heavy in that regards, but yeah, it's life. Isn't it You see that side of life.
Speaker 3: Like mentally is would you say a lot of paramedics or detectives go through mental health because mine, my step does a detective and I've seen with him. He goes to work, stuff happens, he comes home, he can switch off, but I can still see that sometimes it affects him. Yeah, it'll be very hard to switch off. That's why I respect police and hire and ambulance paramedics so much because they're literally heroes, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well, yeah, hero is a word that's used often. Yeah, there are some heroes in there, the sacrifices, sacrifices they make, but it's you. We're not conscripts in the police, and that you choose to do it. There's the reason you do it. Some people as a calling, I know the way I describe it. When you've been in a heavy situation. You come home and let's say it's come home and the family's there, and do you want to go out for dinner? And you've been making one decision after another, bang bang bang, and some of them are life threatening decisions. And yeah, because you can make really quick decisions when you've been operating in that place and they'll say, well, what do you feel like? Do you want to do tai or should we go Indonesian or whatever, And it's almost like you get very short with it. You just I don't care, let's just do it. It doesn't matter. Or other times you come home and it might be Christmas time. I did plenty of murders around Christmas time and everyone's celebrating and talking, and it's hard to just sort of jump into that sort of happy environment when you've just come from something else. But yeah, there's different different ways of dealing with it, but I think we all pay a price in some way. But yeah, we choose to do it with a mental On the mental side of it, you you struggle with mental health issues as a young fella.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the past.
Speaker 1: I have comfortable talking about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what what what are we talking about there?
Speaker 3: I mean as a kid, I was pretty you know, depressed. Obviously, I didn't know I had depression from a very young age.
Speaker 2: As soon as my dad went to jail basically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, probably from eight to twenty two, twenty three, and even up until a couple of years ago, there's been it's been off and on so it's something that I've had to deal with my whole life. And that could come from a lot of things. Could come from tidal trauma, could come from the bullying family situations. But you know what, end of the day, it's it's probably self inflicted as well. I used to do what my dad didn't, just blame everybody else. I didn't take responsibility for my life and I said, it's.
Speaker 2: His fault, it's her fault. And I had to grow up. I had.
Speaker 3: I didn't have a male role model. My my grandfather was a very good man, but he wasn't telling me how to be a man.
Speaker 2: He wasn't teaching me. He was like, well, I was always.
Speaker 3: Working with him in the in the on the boat. He had a poor controller on the farm. So he taught me so much. But I didn't have a man there saying hey, like this is what you're going through I know to talk to. So a lot of it I bottled up. I thought I was crazy. You know, I've got a bit of ADHD as well, so you know, being dyslexic, man, I got a whole I got a whole things, you know, like with some ship, I'm dealing with some ship and yeah, it's it's it's been hard, but I'm thankful to be here and I'm getting better every single day. And as a man, I'm proud of myself. Like I remember when I was twelve years old and I looked in the mirror. I was this fat kid, no friends. Everyone sort of I thought hated me. Not everyone did, but a lot of people did. And I looked in the mirror I saw this man standing there. Yeah, big strong, here's a fighter. And after my last fight, I saw that reflection. I just remembered. I'm like, oh my god, look where I'm that man.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that's been a crazy journey and I wouldn't take back a single thing. Yeah, everything happened in my life so I could be here today and be the person who I am today. So actually, I'm thankful for everything. I'm thankful for my dad going to jail. I'm thankful for even all the depression, and I've had suicidal attempts before, so all of that's made me who I am and I appreciate life. I've got a great family, I've got beautiful friends, and I've got a really good relationship with God.
Speaker 2: So that's that's the biggest thing for me.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, it's all come together. The fact you mentioned there that, yeah, blaming others, I think there's a lot of victimhood that goes through the world at the moment where we're all looking to fine blame. It's not my fault, it's because of this. Is because of that where you sort of take ownership and go, okay, well there's only one person that can turn this ship around, and that's me. I think it's a good, good thing. Sometimes easier said than done. Did you get professional help? Did you have people speak to you at any stage?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, no one's coming to save me. Yeah, you know, Dad is not coming home.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so for me, it's as a kid. I will spend the recess.
Speaker 3: I can't remember what they call morning break or whatever it is. I just spend that in the counselor's office and they'll make me sit there and just like just sit there.
Speaker 2: I'm like, why am I being punished? You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: They're like, oh, it's for your own good. So I also get treated really poorly, and that wouldn't help. After I left, after I got expelled, I started working all different kinds of trades, and then I started meeting different men, and I would always ask some questions, but hey, how do you deal with this?
Speaker 1: How do you do with that emotional question?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Telling you how to build something?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you know, how do you do it?
Speaker 1: And said what's this about?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Like deep questions. I'm like, what do you think about life? Like? You know?
Speaker 3: And then I've got a lot of good answers from a lot of good men, and everyone's played a role for me to be here later on in life. Like now I see a therapist sports psychologist that really helps me with my mental and that's actually leveled up my game massively. I see hypnotherapist who is basically just someone to talk to and we go through you know, a lot of you know, fighting tactics and visualization and do my own research, Like I read a lot of like storicism books, and I read the Bible. I think there's a lot of wisdom in the Bible. And I sort of anchored myself with God and when I fight, there is no fear because I'm only scared of God.
Speaker 1: And did you with your religion did you find that later in life or is that something that was in part of on your very early.
Speaker 2: It was always there. I just got lost and.
Speaker 1: Realized, Yeah, and it works for it works for you.
Speaker 3: It works for me, yeah, ye, and I always just my life has been so crazy. There's so many things like I really shouldn't be alive, you know, and many times I think God intervened, right so, and even just the people I've met along the way, you know, like I don't believe in coincidences. So my fight, for example, yeah, everything my debut fight, everything was going wrong. My mate passed away at the start of the year. This is your first UFC, this is my first YU fight.
Speaker 2: So my mate passed away at the start of the year.
Speaker 3: The whole year was shiit fucking broken ribs, you know, couldn't get fights. And then yeah, before my fight, broke my ribs again. I have a twenty week long camp. I probably trained.
Speaker 1: Two weeks, okay, so well prepared.
Speaker 3: A lot of pressure, the biggest moment in my life, and I kept seeing signs and I just kept that faith, like if it's if what is for me is like, I won't miss it, you know. If God is for me, then who can be against me? That's what I was telling myself. And then I get in New Yors I get a contract. I'm like, wow, the fight lens of my mate's birthday, you know what I mean. And that was a big emotional thing for me. Always family was there, and yeah, I knocked him out in the first round, and I just had I was having dreams and it was It.
Speaker 2: Was a crazy experience.
Speaker 3: But I literally, like my coaches, my teammates, they're looking at me. They were worried for me because I couldn't train properly.
Speaker 1: Well, you had busted ribs at that when you went in the fight. That's very painful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean for me, I just I just pushed that pain aside and I said, if this is for me, then I'm going to win this. And I just put all my faith into God. And I literally went in there. I wasn't even fighting mate, Like something took over me and I.
Speaker 2: Just raised got my hands raised. It was crazy.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Stooism and reading about that. There's a lot of good, good messages in beliefs, isn't it.
Speaker 2: There is there is.
Speaker 3: It's like my sports psychologist David Neath, He's got a great book it's called Mindset, and man, he's changed my life.
Speaker 2: He's changed my game.
Speaker 3: He's worked with Israeli Sonja and all the city kickboxing people.
Speaker 1: Lots of world champions come come out of there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So he's a great man. And I had dinner with him recently. It was just nice to catch up.
Speaker 2: We've been.
Speaker 3: You're doing sessions for the last two three years to see where I was and to see where I am now. It's night and day and so because of that man as.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's there that role model all mental that I think we all need in life. You need a sort of pathway to stay on the right right track. So that sounds like your life could have gone. Yeah, if you described your childhood and I'm just making notes here and didn't know what you've turned out, I'd be thinking, I know where this is heading. Your old man's gone to jail, you're getting done at school, and you're hating the world, You're hating yourself. It's a pathway that a lot of people end up ending up inside or worse, you've had self harm thoughts and all that. You'd have to be feeling, like really down at that point in time. And when you look back now, can you even comprehend that was a state of mind that you're in.
Speaker 2: Man, I don't know what I was thinking.
Speaker 3: And I think a lot of people who do do it, yeah, they will take it back straight away. I truly believe that because I've lost a lot of mates to suicide and it just affects everyone, you know, it's not just you. Like I'm just so glad that I never never went through with it or something stopped me. So David Neith said this quote to me one of my first sessions. He says, an unexamined life is not worth living, you know what I mean. So if you don't do the inner work, and that's I think that's Socrates. Yeah, if you don't do the inner work and you don't fix the flaws that you have, it's like, yeah, it's you're going to live a miserable life. And I didn't do the inner work when I was younger, and truly, I think that's that's what put me down that road. Like I think we all have greatness inside of us.
Speaker 1: This like the philosophy that you're talking about this and the way you're living your life, has that been born out because of the pressures you put yourself under in the fighting? Does that make you examine yourself more.
Speaker 3: Hundred percent I'm just a kid from Adelaide where I started from, Like I was a mess where I am now, Like I'm not perfect. I'm still learning as I go, as I go through life. I'm blessed even be here like on this podcast or speaking to people.
Speaker 2: I don't know what.
Speaker 3: I'm doing, mate, I'm just I'm just I'm just giving life a go. And you know, I'm just trying to help some people out there, maybe so they can avoid going down the path that I went down. Maybe they can skip the depression side of things, or maybe going to jail, or just believing in themselves and going for it.
Speaker 1: Well, what I like sitting here with someone that the world would have to accept as a tough guy like you fighting the UFC, and yeah you're a hard man, but you can talk about your emotions and I think, yeah, you were saying you were looking for help from some blokes and you ask them. And I think a lot of people suffer a lot of pain because they have not got someone to talk to and bounce ideas as blokes. You know it, I know it. I could we could be best mates and you know, you could go how are you feeling and go, I'm not real good, and I go, oh, you want to be Yeah, it can be that challout of the conversation. So the fact that you can sit here and talk about your emotions and your journey, I think it is pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think look a lot of responsibility. Now I'm in the limelight a little bit. I've got a bit of a platform. I guess you can say, yeah, I didn't think I would have one. And I just get some many messages from from blokes well who need help. So I take this on as a responsibility to sort of talk about my feelings. It's fucking hard, mate, It's it's hard to sit here in front of you. I just did a Better Blokes podcast and I cried in front of them. You know, I wasn't expecting to open up about things, and but I've got feelings.
Speaker 2: I'm a human.
Speaker 3: People see me as this strong guy and you know, usc fighter.
Speaker 2: You know, people call me.
Speaker 3: They call me the Russian Killer now because I just know for that guy, you know what I mean. But I'm I'm just myself and like some days I cry, some days I laugh. But every day I wake up is a blessing and we get another chance. So why not just fucking enjoy the day, give her everything you got because you might not wake up tomorrow. And I've seen that with my mates, So I just I want to help as many people as I can.
Speaker 1: Well, you're on the on the pathway to doing that. And let's just explain the uf SO a little bit too, people. So it's the Ultimate Fighting Championships. It's mixed martial arts and the UFC is the brand name, the most well known and people listening to this podcast, it'll come out after the UFC fight was at the UFC two point fifty was at the White House, So if anyone's going to get some attention, that's Donald Trump and his crew over there. But that's what we're talking about. You're in a cage or in an octagon. Can you just tell people that don't understand what the UFC is all about, what it is about, and then we'll talk about what you're aiming for, which is to become the World Heavyweight Champion, which is quite often referred to as the most dangerous man on the planet or baddest man on the planet. So tell us a little bit about the UFC and your journey there.
Speaker 3: So, the UFC is the biggest fighting promotion in the world. Yeah, and when I was a kid, I had no friends. I used to rent DVD from Blockbuster and I used to watch Ultimate Fighting. Yes, love it as a punch a pillows to put the mattress against the world and start like boxing it. And yeah, I had dreamed twenty years ago to be in the UFCA. And I always had this feeling aside of me that I can be a world champion. So I didn't start training then. I started training when I was twenty four years old. That's considered fairly late. Yeah, and even that's just a testament. Like when people tell you too old, don't believe him. I was getting told I was too old at sixteen years old. But my uncles and family and friends and man like I just I should have listened to them. But everything happens for a reason, and I think I came to it at the right time in life. But the UFC, it's you know, if you're a fighter that's mixed martial arts, that is Ultimate. There's lots of other promotions, but it's nothing like the UFC. It's watched by over a billion people around the world. It's the biggest growing sport in the world. I think, yeah, yeah, and when you're a USC champion, you are the baddest man on the planet, especially at heavyweight.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is like now I'm ranked number fourteen, so people say, oh, you're the fourteenth baddest man on planet. No, mate, I'm the baddest man on the planet right now. Just title yet, haven't got the title yet. Yeah, he's holding it for me, So give me a year, two years, I'm going to hold that belt and I'm going to be the first Australian ULLC heavyweight champion.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a lot of people that believe believe in you and believe you're right. I'm not going to question you when you see yeah, no, you've got it, got my vote. You fight in five minute rounds. Title fights are over five rounds. Other fights are over three rounds, so people think, oh, oh, that's only fifteen minutes or twenty five minutes. Just tell us, well, you have ended some of your fights very very quickly. But tell us what sort of training and preparation you've got to do to get to that level. To get because you get a contract with the UFC, and what you've got to do to get to.
Speaker 3: That level ten years to be an overnight success. It took me ten years ago, see, and I'm just starting now. I'm learning on the job. When I was fighting on a local scene, it was very hard to get fights. So I'm still fairly in the experience. I'm literally learning as I go.
Speaker 1: And in the fight game, regardless of the type of style, if someone's hasn't got the rankings but he's very good, a lot of people don't want to fight them the person because it's in the no win situation. You might get you might get put to sleep. And yeah, by someone that hasn't got the reputation. Is that why you were having trouble getting fights? Definitely on the local scene. Let's hope that it's not like that in the UFC. I don't believe it will be because everyone in the UFC is you know, they think they're the best, and that's how it should be.
Speaker 2: I think I'll be.
Speaker 3: Any man on the planet right now, even with two broken hands, like, I'm confident in myself.
Speaker 1: And yeah, so we're talking like Cyril Gain Tom aspinall.
Speaker 2: I'll fight. I'll fight them next week.
Speaker 1: You've got the sitting here. If people are listening to this, there's one one or your left wrist in a cast and your right ones also broken. Yeah that was from your last fight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the first minute and a half of the first fight. So the first round, I three fractures in my right hands, ligament damage, and then probably a minute later, my left thumb broke and I had to get the ligament reattached. So but I still fought for I think another six minutes after that. Yeah, So every shot I felt it just a joel and pain, but I wanted that more than him. It was a very tough dude and very solid head. I hit him over one hundred I think it was one hundred and eleven punches I landed on him.
Speaker 1: So yeah, then look, people, people, and I know that there's going to be people listening. So it's brutal. It's a brutal, brutal sport. What's your come back to that when people throw that up at you.
Speaker 3: I mean, it is a brutal sport based of sport, And it's a hard one for me to answer because for me, it's my life. It's something that I truly love. Fighting is my love. You know, I haven't got a partner or a wife, but I love fighting. I'm obsessed with it and it saved my life. I'm very loyal to it. I want to do this to today i die. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to. You know, there's gonna be a time I have to walk away from it. But all my friends now are through fighting. All the love of my life and the joy is through fighting. So as brutal as a sport as it is, it's a beautiful sport. And it is an art and that's what they call it, mixed martial arts. Like I am an artist and I get to help people. Now I get to travel the world. I was a kid from Taparu Adelaide, which is like a rough sort of place back in the day, and now I'm flying around the world speaking to people like yourself. And man, we went to the Creation Club, King Tommy. It's a creation club here in Sydney. I just popped in randomly. Everyone recognized me and they're all coming up with photos and speaking to me, giving me gifts.
Speaker 2: And it just blows my mind.
Speaker 3: So I couldn't have that doing with tructural glob or security.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and I think in terms of the brutality, you train for it, like you don't you're not picking someone from the street. There's a dedication and I don't think people can fully comprehend how much training goes into getting you ready before you step into that that cage that everyone's there consenting. It's not it's not bullying people on the street. So you're an athlete, you're competing, and people would say to me, how how you do some sparring with a friend, How could you do that? I say, it's the same as playing tennis with a friend. It's not. It's not personal. You're testing, testing your skills, and what sort of attitude do you go into the fights with.
Speaker 2: I mean my first UFC fight, Yeah, I was scared. Yeah, I was scared.
Speaker 3: Everything was against me and I was sort of even against myself at one point, just sort of the doubt creeped in and the fear, and I really.
Speaker 2: Just I gave it to God.
Speaker 3: I just surrendered to God and I said, just whatever you will will be done. My second fire, I was more confident for at the O two arena in London. Yeah, the whole crowd was against me, which I prepared for mentally, and that was a cool experience because in the end I didn't.
Speaker 2: Give a fuck about the crowd.
Speaker 3: I didn't didn't care about my opponent, and I had a great performance and I was finding my groove.
Speaker 2: In my last fight.
Speaker 3: I found my groove and like, I know I can do this and I will do this, and it just like I'm learning on the job. Yeah, every fire, I'm learning new things.
Speaker 1: And yeah with the with the training you relocated. You said over to New Zealand to City kick Gym in Auckland. What made vaded you to do that? And did you just turn up on the n ounce and go, hey guys, I'm here and walk in there to tell us set story.
Speaker 2: ISRAELASNJA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a style bender.
Speaker 2: Style bender.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is the reason why City kickboxing is known. Yeah, here's the reason why I have a career. And obviously, like I've did a lot of work myself, and you know, I always had this dream. But the fact that Israel was fighting on the local promotion, he's a fury, you know, and then I started fighting in that promotion. The fact that he got in the USC as a kickboxer and did well, that was a motivation for me. So there was always his motivation from Israel, he sort of led the path for me. He opened the door and I ended up performing in front of him at King of the Ring.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I won my first.
Speaker 3: Fight, got knocked down my second fight. He comes up to me after the fight. He's like, hey, bro, amazing fight. You got so much skill and talent. Keep going. I want you to come to the gym tomorrow. I was about to retire after I lost that fire.
Speaker 1: I'm like, nah, okay, you at that tipping point that maybe this is not for me. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was twenty seven years old. I couldn't get fights regularly, wasn't training properly.
Speaker 1: And you would be making stuff all money.
Speaker 3: I was paying to fight, you know. I worked hard. I had sponsors. Every file. I would have to pay my opponent or pay for flights or accommodation. So it was costing me money. And I was sleeping in the gym back in Adelaide. I wasn't sleeping at home. I was sleeping in the gym. But he opened the door for me. He gave another chance. And then when I met him, he said to me, I actually sparred him. I'm like, bro, where's their gloves?
Speaker 2: He was like why.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, well, spa, you know, and we ended up sparring, and you know, we had good rounds together and he's like, bro, I want you to come help me for my next fight.
Speaker 2: It's against Alex Pereira.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 3: I was like, yeah, that's amazing, and you know, we shook hands and he said he was going to help me out, fly me over and put me up accommodation. I said, you know what, I thank you, but I'm going to do it myself. I don't need your money. It's just a privilege to come and train with you. So then I went back home. My grandfather had a stroke and he wasn't looking good and my grandfather was like my father, yeah. So I said to Izzy, I'm sorry, I can't come until my grandfather was better. Yeah, maybe I'll see in the future. Israel fought Alex. He lost that fight. Yeah, And then I think a few months passed and then my grandfather eventually got better. I messaged him. I'm like, hey, bro, I want to come for your next camp. If I'm still invited, He's like, come over. So I was there for the next camp and I stayed ever since. And that was November fourteenth, twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: And it was that when he was training for the rematch.
Speaker 3: The rematch, yeah, Alex, and then he brought me over to Miami and then that was my first insight sort of to the UFC, and they're just changed my life, you know.
Speaker 1: And like Israel, he was well, the biggest star in the uf here, drew the crowds and an amazing champion. I know you speak highly of him. You see the public persona of him, and there's an arrogance and that, but there's a lot more depth to.
Speaker 3: Him than what would you say in the arrogance. Well, I haven't seen that. So for me, Israel is just.
Speaker 1: I think I'm probably hanging on to when he beat Robert Whittaker when he turned up here and I was supporting Robert Whittiker at that time and I was just shattered after it. But he beat him fair and square, and I know they're good mates now. So I would imagine there's.
Speaker 2: Rob's a great dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, He's just an absolute gentleman, isn't he? But that so with Israel, but there was I probably I call it an arrogance, but I suppose that's what he's got. The ring entry on that particular fight. He just came out and he was dancing like Michael Jackson and just I think that's confidence. Brother, Yeah, all right, well I termed it arrogance because he beat my man. I hear you say good things about him. What is it about him that you like and you call it like a mentor you described how he helped your career, But what is it about him as a person. He's just a good human. I've seen that time and time again. He's never changed. You know, you might say arrogance, but I say confidence because that's how even I am.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 3: There's people who have different perspective of perspectives of us. So there's people out there who love and adore me. There's people out there who think I'm a wanker. There's people out there who maybe are hurt in the past. So everyone's got a different view on someone. So for me, my experience of Israel is he's a fucking good human and a good bloke. And he's always helped everybody I've seen. He's always stopped for photos, has always given his time and energy, and man, he has helped me. He's helped me of our teammates, he's helped the gym grow, the coaches, so for me, like he is a good role model for me and here's my friend, you know, and I'll do anything for that guy. So yeah, I believe still that he.
Speaker 2: Could be a champion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we see if he wants to, if he wants to do it, he'll do it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And you know the thing with fans, they're very fickle. A lot of people come up to me, they praise me, you know, majority of I don't take it on board because I know if I lost, they'll be talking shit.
Speaker 1: That's see. That's a cruel thing of the fight game, isn't it. You see when when people are winning, there's a entourage, support, fans, and when they lose, it's silent. So I saw that in some gyms that I trained that where people were on the on the up like a rising fighter, and then when they lose, you just see all of a sudden, people seem to forget about them. It's a cruel sport like that, isn't.
Speaker 2: It's a cruel sport.
Speaker 3: It's a learning sport, and we every time we step in that cage, we have potential to not walk out of it the same. So that's why man. But when people say why do you do this? I'm doing it for myself. I'm doing it for my family, but I do it for God. I do it for God, and that's that's what I anchor myself in. I don't care about the fame and the money.
Speaker 2: Mate.
Speaker 3: I just flew on a jet. Couldn't give a fuck. It's a fucking plane, mate, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean. It's an expensive plane. But I really don't care.
Speaker 3: And I'm glad when I was younger, I didn't have much because now I appreciate just like living in an event. I wake up, you know, and today's a good day. No one's died, beautiful, get to go to the beach, have a coffee. I get to train, build my body. That's joy for me. Money and fame and attention and likes and shit like. I wouldn't have social media if I don't have to have it, but I need it as a business. And you get to meet good people. So it's there's.
Speaker 1: Good and bad with the fighting side of things. Like people look at it and think a lot of it's physical, but there's a lot more to it than You talk about your mind, coach, and I think you do breath work as well. Tell us about the preparation is more so than physical because a lot of it is the mental preparation and the going in there with the right mindset, because as you said, you walk into that they shut that cage, you might come out the same person. And yeah, that's the consequences that you're dealing with. Especially in the heavyweight where you fight heavyweight division, they're big hits. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look at the last fight with Cyril Gan and Alex Perera. I mean he was going to hit behind the head, and I'm sure Alex is not gonna be the same from that fight. You know him, I see the repercussions now straight away, but when he's older, I mean it will come in. He's had a lot of fights, and yeah, I know, I take the serious and it's my life.
Speaker 2: It's not a hobby, it's my life.
Speaker 3: It's a lifestyle because I know every time I get hit, I'm losing brain cells. I'm doing this to make a future for myself and also for my future family. You know, I'm just a high school dropout, I guess, and I'm just trying to be the best that I can be. So when it comes to this sport, I'm very serious and I'm here to protect my health. So if I've got to hurt somebody to protect my health, then I'm going to do it. And that's that's the brutality of the sport. Yeah, it's kill or be killed.
Speaker 1: But the consent comes in with it too, So the brutality of it when the two folks that step in there, or the women are fighting as well, two people that step in there understand the consequences and it's agreed to and yeah, so it's a lot fairer than a lot of other situations in life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's the thing, Like, it doesn't matter if I win or lose. I'm always going to shake my opponent's hand. Yeah, I'll say a little prayer for him, I'll give all my love and yeah, whether we talk after that, that's you know, it doesn't really matter. But I don't want to hurt anybody. Yeah, I just want to win. So if you sign that contract to fight me, yeah, I know you're going to try to hurt me. I'm going to protect myself. But yeah, it's it's a beautiful sport. It's it's a it's a it's a career and I love what I do.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, look let's take a break. We've only really only scratched the surface. There's so much I wanted to talk to you about, and yeah, sat down to talk about the UFC. But the more I'm talking, obviously there's a lot of depth there and a lot of thought behind what you're doing and what your plans are. So we've got a hell of a lot more to talk about. We'll take a break now and and come back to the part too shortly. Thank you Jesus