Speaker 1: Him, I boris and this is straight talk. I used to walk to a drug dealer's house thinking I dropped dead yesterday, and someone revived me. Why am I doing this? Rick Rossman, world went straight talk? Mate? Why did you become a guitarist? I've always absolutely just loved music and I wanted to be heard and I felt like I was invisible and a guitar was a good way of speaking that out. And I went to see led Zeppelin when I was fifteen. Changed my life. I said, I'm going to do that. I looked at those four guys on the stage and I thought, you guys don't have a problem in the world. You know, it's just a joke to think that. And I know that now. So heroin is a painkiller. There's steps, you know. It became more and more prominent in my life. It was an absolute nightmare. Got up on stage that night, crowd and playing away. It's really good and I look down this blood coming out of my arm and I just, I just, I can't tell you. After being that kid who just love music so much crushed me. I just thought I've got to I've got to do something about this.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, and border and I grew up podcast podcast over.
Speaker 1: Brick Grossman. Welcome straight to mate.
Speaker 3: Explain you know, I guess this is the state of origin Jersey, as you know, and of course you're a Queenslander, but we're going to get into that in the second how you could possibly become a Queenslander if you were born in your South Wales. But in any event, this is Madge. I'm wearing it on the podcast, like I said, I would, thanks very much. And I know it's not about you. So the Origin series is not about Michael Maguire. It's about the Jersey and I just want to do this one thing that's better than any queens and queens and Queensland A chance you're ever going to hear it about New South Wales dudes?
Speaker 1: Right? Can I just say something now? Is your now? I just want to say that it's clear being a Queensland supporter. I just want to wish Madge the best because he's such a top blog. He's good. I haven't seen him for a couple of years and we've had some very We've had some lovely discussions over the years he and I and I look forward to seeing him after after the after the Origin well, now you can explain yourself, so my family will move to queens and.
Speaker 3: Give his excuses. Just go back a second. Where were you born? I was born here in Sydney. Yeah, okay, So how long did you live in Sydney for.
Speaker 1: All my life? Years? Okay?
Speaker 3: So so and what's your cop out?
Speaker 1: Your family moved to Queensland. Yes, that's my cop out. It's not actually cop out, it's half my cop out. I was I actually hadn't been taking any notice of rugby league in the early eighties. And I mean, I love rugby league. I'm a South supporter, and I grew up, Oh my.
Speaker 2: God, and a South supporter, and I grew up podcasts.
Speaker 3: Over go on. But why did you go a quizot because they won a lot?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, no. I'd been away and in the early eighties, you know, I was in the the Vinyls, and we spent a lot of time out of the country. And i'd come back. It was about nineteen eighty three and my cousin said to me, oh, we've got to go and see this thing called state of Origin. Now I'd read quite a bit about Wally Lewis. My family all lived in Queensland, they'd all been living there in the seventies, and so we go out of the cricket ground and we'd had a couple of puffs of something, you know, and we're sitting out there, and it was one of those games where Wally it was quiet for the first half, and it was like halfway through the game he just sort of decided to start playing and scored this magnificent try. The crowd had been chanting Wally's a wanka ad him and he scored this try and the place went quiet, and he sort of turned around to the stand put his finger up at the stand, and I just fell in love with him. I just thought this guy's great and started following him. Then I became a few years later, I became friends with Choppy Clothes Chris Close, who, by the way, was assistant coach for Faddy Vorton when they won three that's right, which is quite amazing. I mean, not that I'm here to give Faddy a rap, but it was quite amazing. That was like the nineties nineties. Yeah, yeah, And Faddy took me along to some games. I really had to sit in the you know, Faddy's long lost brother or something. I love Fatty. I don't look like Fatty, do I? Fatty? He rings me. He used to say him my second favorite bass player. That's exte Gene Simmons kiss. He's a top blow, A great bloke, Fatty. I really miss miss seeing him on TV whenever he's commentating. I love Fatty. I think he's genius. He got me to come along to a game. I mean, I guess we're going to talk about all this stuff. Becurse of my history because of my.
Speaker 3: Sobriety, which usually follows a yes so.
Speaker 1: And he asked me. A lot of those guys in the nineties, eighties, nineties used to come and see us play a lot, you know, and and I became quite friendly with a few of them. We all of us did. And there's one particular player, Julian O'Neill. We played fullback. Yeah, fantastic bloke, a great player, one of those guys when he drinks you get out of the room. And he was in the Origin. Fatty asked me to come out to the Origin out of the training to talk to Julian one day and went out there and I just sort of hit it off with Fatty, and i'd met him before. We've been on I think, yeah, we've been on the very early version of the Footy Show, and Choppy and I just sort of hit it off. And for the next eight years, I think I went along with them whenever the origin was on the I go up to Brisbane and go along with the team and sit on the bench, and there's more of the dudes, more of the personalities involved that you sort of it's not that you fell in love with Queensland for Queensland, say, but more of the people who are behind the queens and teams. I loved. I just loved. I mean, I know it's I shouldn't talk to you about this because you were just doing this, you know, but that that passion. I've sat in some of the team talks and I'm sure Ricky Stewart was like it was the same, you know, be the same, but there's just something up there. I don't know. The Queensland as they travel for for days to go to the games, you know, they all you know, they come from the mining towns and they're so over the top about it up there.
Speaker 3: It was one of the things they win too and like and they went it well like they but they lost for so long yeah, yeah, true.
Speaker 1: They lost for so long. And I was at that game that they lost fifty six to twelve. I think when they were all the try celebrations and I went to the the the it wasn't a celebration, it was, you know, the after after game function. It was bad. It's like a death family. It's bad. Wally Lewis said, it's the worst day of his life watching that. And following year they started to show the try celebrations in the dressing room just to stir them up, and then from then on the one eight years in a row with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they haven't stopped and it's pretty fucking annoying. Well, I just hope. I hope magic can work out. What is the magic dust that Queensland sort of sprinkle over their players to make them play better than they usually play in club rugby for example and rugby League, And also what is going to be magic dust for New South Wales because we actually don't have that magic dust. We just don't have it. We have great players, great skills, can do anything, but just there's something about Queensland they just pull through on each occasion. I'm just dying to know what that is. And you know, hopefully just smart guy and he's pretty bloody determined, so I hope you can pull it off, and anything I can do to help me, I will help him. But let's talk about Rick Rossman. I actually you're the very first rock superstar in my view that's come onto our show straight to three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you are a superstar.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's definitely the bands in an Australian sense, especially obviously globally, but.
Speaker 1: In an Australian sense.
Speaker 3: I meanly, I like, I feel like I'm sort of sitting in front of Royal. You probably don't feel that way because you know you're part of it, but you know, from an outside, I was one of you.
Speaker 1: Like I told my brother, my young.
Speaker 3: Brother, who's sixty two or three or something like that, our time is coming to do the podcast you do with you today because he and I are in a meeting before I got it, which why I'm not missed Slate, and I couldn't shut him up, and I said, man, I've got to go do.
Speaker 1: This, and he went, what the fuck? He said? You serious?
Speaker 3: My brother's a lawyer and hard nos lawyer his whole life, but always wanted to be a rock star.
Speaker 1: He always wanted to be.
Speaker 3: We had to learn music as kids, piano because of my mum's family, and my brother was the only I'm hopeless, but my brother was naturally good at it and he always wanted to be a rock star and he still does. I mean on his sixty birth that he was up there singing the songs and like pretending to be a rock star and stuff like that. But right in front of me is the real deal, the real deal. And I'd like to know. What I like to know is how did you become well mora?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 3: Why did you become a guitarist? Apart from you know, getting into the various groups, why did you initially want to become a guitarist?
Speaker 1: An interesting question someone asked me a while ago. You know, why do you play music? And I can say to meet girls, do you money? I want to make lots of money. I mean, that's a joke. But when you're fourteen thirteen and you look at the rock star and back then there was no internet or anything. So I used to get the music papers and I'd look at these photos and I think, wow, these guys must have the most incredible lives. I went to see led Zeppelin when I was fifteen, and it was like a spiritual experience for me. I'd been learning music and since I was five, but classical. I learned violin. I absolutely hated it, and I used to wag the classes at the conservatorium go and sit in the botanical guards way for my dad to come and pretend I'd been to the lesson. Can we just stop there? Because why is that?
Speaker 3: Because today it's quite by kids who go there. It's quite a coveted place to be accepted into today he'd be accepted in there. And I had this experience recently with a young fellow who's my godsid like he wanted in order to get and he had to be able to play two instruments these days, and had to have certain school grades as well, and in his case he was playing piano and sax. But you had to be at a certain level too. And everybody tries to get in there today.
Speaker 1: But yet you're there and you'll go You're got pdscs from it. I absolutely hated it. Why it was felt all I can say now, I mean, it was boring, old fashioned. It was like this sort of discipline. It was this horrible kind of this woman I'm sure. She was very nice, but she was like my grandmother at the time, you know, she was like very humorous. It was very cold. It's like being in a math class at school, you know. And I used to go home afterwards and I'd set my violin up in the kitchen next to my mother and just scratch away, just like I'm going to torture. It's because you didn't like the violin, there, is it because you didn't like playing the violin and you'd rather play some of those rings. Well, I wasn't sure my mother, she just wanted me to play an instrument, right, you know. I loved I loved music from when I was little, and when I was really little, I used to get night terrors. So my parents bought me this radio. It's one of those big old bake light things, and it had a fault in it. It used to fade out, and they put me in bed and be dark, and I'd be listening to the radio and start to fade out, and I get scared. Now I'd bang it. You could bang it and would come back to life. And so you know, if I hear under the boardwalk by the Stones or some songs remind me of being in bed in pajamas, you know, the Kinks and stuff like that. And I think maybe that was a subliminal thing for me. It seeped into me, you know. And there were certain things that I loved in music, and i'd hear my parents used to play musicals an opera. I hate both both those things now, opera and musicals. And but there'd be certain hearts and certain songs that i'd get a kind of a visceral sort of reaction to. And I didn't know what it was at the time, but it was a good feeling, you know. It was a good feeling, whether it was a melody or a chord progression or some words. And I started playing violin. I hated it. Then I was at Scott's I started playing cello. I loved the sound of the cello, but I didn't really, you know, I just didn't like the the it's the word, not the discipline, because I mean, you have to be disciplined to be good at music. But I just didn't like the it's the word. It's too stage. It's too stage, too organ you know, it's too there's no improvisation, there's no go the script.
Speaker 3: You've got the music, your role in this piece with the rest of the orchestra at Scotts or where it was.
Speaker 1: It's like the difference between architect or a draftsman. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're you're But is that?
Speaker 3: But is that because of maybe perhaps of your mindset, the way you think that you don't you you like the ability to well, you're just hard to control you're thinking because you know, if you're playing something like a cello or even violin, usually it's unless you're so good you're doing a solo thing, you're in an orchestra or something like that.
Speaker 1: Like that.
Speaker 3: You know the conservative of music about those days about building people going the Sydney Symphathy Orchestra.
Speaker 1: That's where ultimately ended up.
Speaker 3: If you're any good, and if you're really good, you become a soloist in the SSM. But if you if you're pretty good, you're in the in the in the team, and then you've got a part. You've got a bit part play and that's it. You've got No there's no as you said, improv. You can't just say fuck you, I'm just going to start doing this.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like, I mean, I don't know, I mean, you're you're you know a lot about rugby league. I mean, if you've got a player like Andrew Johns or someone like that in your team, you're not going to say you have to do this and this and this, and you're going to let them play their own game. Yeah. I just didn't like that. I didn't like that about the classical music, you know, I just I wasn't really interested. And now I started to hear, you know, the rock music, and I started becoming really interested in that in the late sixties, and I love the freedom, you know. I'd Jimmy Hendrix and I remember sitting on the steps of Bondi and someone had a radio and a whole lot of Love came on, so it would have been nineteen sixty eight, sixty nine, and everyone went quiet. It's like, what's that? What is that? Noise? So so exciting? I found it so exciting. And there was a guitar in our house. I still don't really know where that guitar came from. I often wondered where it was an acoustic guitar, and I picked it up and I found that I could I didn't pick it up and I could play it, but I loved it straight away, and you know, my parents had thrown their hands up and give up training to make him play an instrument. I picked that guitar up and improved really quickly, but just self taught that. I've always been self taught, Yeah, and adolesent.
Speaker 3: And where did you go from there? I mean, like I meant of the pub scene is pretty alive in those days.
Speaker 1: But where did you go for that? It took me, you know, I mean I was at school and I just when I went to see led Zeppelin. It's a funny thing, you know, I remember watching them, and you know, I think most people when they're growing up, they're uncomfortable, you know, teenage, when you're a teenager, most teenagers are uncomfortable. Totally all good. And I always felt, you know, I felt, first of all, I felt invisible when I was a kid. And I also felt because of stuff that was having our family, and I felt that someone hadn't given me the the playbook about life. You know, everyone seemed to have it sort of sorted. And I saw these guys, these four guys play and there were thirty thousand people out of the showground, no lighting, no nothing. It was just purely the music and changed my life. I just I mean, I was playing music and I love music before them, but I just saw that and I'm going, I'm going to do that. And when my grades at school went down after that, and it was just that's all I could think about. But well, what did you do next?
Speaker 3: Tent? So, like you said, I want to do that. I want to be like leads of a band.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See, I looked at those four guys on the stage and I thought, you guys don't have a problem in the world. One of them died, you know, one of them ended up a heroin addict, and one of them lost one of his kids, you know what I mean. You know, it's just a joke to think that, and I know that now, you know.
Speaker 3: But but naivity, though, it's a big bonus in terms of give empowering you to do things, because if you knew, if you weren't in reality and you knew the reality, you may never have done it.
Speaker 1: No, it might have been a constraint. I don't know. I mean, I don't know. I've always absolutely just loved music, and I found you know, I've improved quite quickly. Then I just found some other like minded people around where I lived in the eastern suburbs and we'd kind of get together whenever we could and make this horrible racket. And my mother was running a theater. And my godmother actually sat me down one day. I don't know, this was a seminal moment in my life. She was an actress. She said, do you remember they're a weird mob? So sure do. She was in that film and she she was. She was a great woman. Her name was Doraene Warpurton.
Speaker 3: She showed me the writing of how to advertised. It was very sort of sixties flower power. That's really looking the way that the writing of the of the on the on the advertising for the for.
Speaker 1: The for the movie, for the show. Yeah I remember it's about the Italian Yeah, I remember. Well, just funnily enough, our singer in the Hudu Gurus has brought the rights to that and they're writing a musical for it at the moment. But my godmother sent me down one day and my fourteen year old, fifteen year old brain. I don't know why I actually paid any attention to it, but she said to me, you know, if you if you're going to be a musician, thinking about a career like that. You have to be you have to have your own thing, your own style. Now I don't know why I thought, but why that's sunk in. But when I started playing with other people, I became quite neurotic about that, about having my own thing. So what does that mean? It's own style of playing? What does that mean that to me? What do you person Well, I guess your personality comes out through the instrument, and what is that? What had in angry? Really was it was aggressive? Aggressive?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but was that your personality? Was that what you adopted for this frustration? It was more frustrating.
Speaker 1: I'm not an I wasn't an outwardly angry person. It was very quiet when I was, you know, back then. But I was frustrated and I just didn't I wanted to be heard, you know. I felt like I was invisible and a guitar was a good way of speaking that out. And you know, people nowadays. It's funny. We're doing a gig a few years ago. We do these things all day on the green or red hot summer, and we're playing with Daryl Braithway, his bass player, came up to me and said, oh, you know, I really like the records you played on how do you get that sound? And I said, I can't really, I don't know. I can't really answer that, and he kind of got the shits with me and said, oh, keeping it a secret. I said, mate, I don't know. There was just a way that I found a guitar could. I know. It sounds corny to say it, but I could kind of express myself through this piece of wood with wires on it, you know, And I could just and I still do. You know. I love the sound of bass guitar makes when you hit it hard. There's a great quote of Angry Anderson's you know, no one hits a guitar like a NAUSI why is that you reckoned? Well that was a bit later on. I mean, there's a whole Australian sound that happened in the pubs here. It's very very unique.
Speaker 3: Can you talk about it though, because that doesn't we don't see that anymore really, I mean, it's not a thing today, but it was in the sixties and seventies. It was my period in eighties. Yeah, that was awesome. Like I remember going this into groups like Hush Yes, and.
Speaker 1: You know, I used to love Ray Brown and the whispers. You remember Ray Brown.
Speaker 3: It was fantastic And these days that sort of stuff doesn't exist. I don't think of and I thought to go to pubs anymore. But to be honestly, but it was a thing as an Australian thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh mate, it was huge. It was huge and it it it's the sound of how can I put this, it's a four on the floor. It's like being in a car on a highway, you know. And we used to spend all our time driving and there was this kind of energy in the music it started. Does it come from you or from the crowd or well, it comes from a confrontation really with the crowd. So in the seventies mid seventies, most bands played in church halls you know in the country, you know they do. And this was before my time. When I joined, the pubs were just starting. And that was in Melbourne. I first played in my first professional bands in Melbourne and played six it's a week in these pubs and I guess it. By the time I got back here at the beginning of the eighties, it was it was huge. You go out to these there's no internet, no Spotify, no mobile phones. People would work all week and want to go out and just no h and s so that you'd get two thousand people packed into a pub, used to rain inside so hot, and you'd play and they if you were introverted, or if you were kind of shy, or if you were you know, insular or in any way, or they just throw shit at you. Serious, absolutely absolutely so we this thing happened. We call it. You know, you are someone from Guns n' Roses or Nirvana or all these bands overseas, and they talk about an Australian sound, which is this sort of aggressive Russian and it's even you know artists like Paul Kelly have it, you know, where they had to sort of confront an audience in a pub. Is that for real though? Yeah? Absolutely absolutely? Oh mate? And then how do you dominate? Is it about?
Speaker 3: Then then you're confronting, but it is also then I'm going to dominate this audience. I'm going to get on top with my sound YEP and my.
Speaker 1: Movement yeah sound. And they wanted to, you know, they wanted to be satisfied. If they weren't satisfied, they'd throw stuff out there. And it was glass and it wasn't plastic. How go. Was that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I sort of like it. I mean I shouldn't say that, but I sort of like it.
Speaker 1: And I was in a band that had a female singer.
Speaker 3: That made it a bit tougher, and she she confronted him.
Speaker 1: Oh, and she she was in a I mean, there were no other female singers who did that. Then you know, you have Renee Gayer and you know, but not a rock rock singer. She was. She was one. She was on the outer you know, and people didn't take us seriously. And out of all the people I've played with in my life, I mean, she was the real deal. She wasn't a novelty actor. It was her spirit, you know, it was her She learned when she first started in the band. She would stand with her back to the audience, and she learned that she could be a personality. She learned that kind of from Barry Humphries. Really, how Barry Humphries could say or do anything in character. She learned she could do the same thing in character. I mean she was pretty fiery woman off stage too, but she confronted those audiences. And we'd go out to those big suburban pubs in the early eighties, and you know, the band was an energetic band anyway, but she do you know, some guy ll stuff at her in the crowd and she'd be into the crowd and fighting people, and absolutely I had to get into the crowd pull her out of the crowd. And people learned pretty quickly that the crowds learned that she wasn't to be messed with. Don't not be trifling with her. I mean, does that give you? Did that energize you though? Absolutely? Yeah, incredible. And we used to I mean, she's an incredibly beautiful looking girl, chrissy, you know, and she'd be doing a kind of monster act we used to call it at the crowd and she'd be out on the pa or she'd be, you know, doing that and she turned around to look at us, and she'd give you a look like what am I doing? You know? And you'd look out there and there'd just be it'd be fights, all sorts of stuff going on out there in the crowd. It was wild. They were wild times, wild times.
Speaker 3: Could you sort of give me a description, so a learned description, like, yeah, a bit of a scription, maybe a narrative when you're when you arrive at the pub that you're going to perform at and you're just setting up you guys. I guess you said it before everyone arrives or something like that, But like, what's the feeling between everybody you and the rest of the band before you actually get on the stage and performed, Like, what are you guys doing?
Speaker 1: Do you mean now or no? Then?
Speaker 3: Back then, just back then, before you knew you knew you're going into confrontation years is going to be foragn you knew the particular ven you're at. It had a reputation amongst you and amongst others. What would you be doing? I guess you were behind the stage, but at the back of a room. Somebode were like, what was the feeling before we had a thousand vodkas?
Speaker 1: You couldn't. People used to say to me, you guys must have been really out of it playing. You couldn't do it physically. You couldn't do it in a band like that. It was a workout like the Who the Gurus or a workout to physical workout. The Divinals were physical workout. You could not do it. We'd have it, maybe have a drink before, but what then We'd play in these big suburban pubs and you'd go out there and that's quite often there are no facilities. Yeah, it's ridiculous. You'd have to share the dunnies and whatever would get changed in the cool room or and sometimes there'd be motels attached, so they give you a motel room and we'd all be in there and Chrissy, how do you want yourself up? Well? Everyone everyone go quiet really yeah, into their respective you did warm up on you, and we do it in the gurus. You know, everyone goes pretty quiet and we don't really let anyone in the last half an hour or forty minutes. And even today my wife when I've got it, when I have to play, my wife says, oh, he's got the head on. That's what she'll say, because I get the performer's head. Yeah, I start to think about it. And then it was there was much more what's going to happen tonight. It's like anticipation, Yeah, what's going to happen? Is there going to be a big fight and people going to get up on the stage. Road crews back then were guys who were The music industry is starting starting to become a lot more professional then early eighties, but essentially a lot of the guys who were roadies for you were guys who had been in prison or you know, there were guys to protect the band from the audience. And you know, quite often you'd be after a show, you'd be going out to the car to leave, and there'd be guys out in the parking lot because you know, you've smiled at some girl in the audience and some guys you know, and the crew would be out there trying to you know, microphone stands, and they ever be drunk, you know.
Speaker 3: So you see, you're very performance folk, castand or focused. We listened to ac DC just to wind yourselfup a B a few ac DC songs. We turn right up in the dressing room and get ourselves revved up. And Chrissy, I mean everyone to get in there, think.
Speaker 1: But Chrissy would get.
Speaker 3: Very very sort of focused, and would she be like the I don't call it the leader, but like was she the person who kicks it off, like up on the stage like you guys are at the back, strumming away, et cetera, but like which she would get up the front of everybody and start to wind the audience up with her own performance.
Speaker 1: Like people didn't you know. I mean it was a great band came to see her. She's an incredible performer, great singer, just so different, so unique. You know, it's like she's just like angus. Are I remember it well? I mean did you can?
Speaker 3: You? Were you? Your senses are all going like you're up there on the on the stage, and your your senses are going mental like obviously sound and watching what people are doing and what you guys are doing. But what about things like smells and can you remember smoke?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, beer and smoke, beer and smoke. You come off stage and you're clothes to be soaking wet, and you put them in your bag. You go home, you open your bag to get your clothes and it's just like an ash tray with beer. You know, there'd just be beer spilt everywhere.
Speaker 3: And yeah, and and and in terms of sound, can you mostly just hear the music or you can hear the audience?
Speaker 1: What what do you make you don't hear the don't you hear the sound? Really? Yes? Don't really? Between songs, you know, people yell stuff out and what were they saying?
Speaker 3: They'd say stuff to Chrissy and get your tits out, Yeah, stuff like that, she'd.
Speaker 1: Be into the audience, she rip in. Oh she oh mate, she'd be gone into the audience and what did you say? Yeah, and she'd be She'd have bad she had bad eyesight, so quite often she'd jump on the wrong guy. Ah be going no it's him, and then guy running away. But people got scared of her while, you know, because she was she was she was very big, feisty. No it's not very big. It's liked full on. Oh yeah, feisty. Any woman I've ever had a physical altercation with?
Speaker 3: Really, So, how do what is the the interaction between various members of the band.
Speaker 1: Well, so, in the The Vinyls, it was like a dysfunctional family. We were a gang when I first started playing music. This is you know, it's different these days, but I just I wanted to be part of a gang. I didn't want to be part of an orchestra. I want to be part of a gang. And the The Vinyls, out of all the bands I suppose I've been in, and it was very much like that. We used to fight between ourselves, but any outsider it was like, no, you know, we're very protective of one another. We spent so much time together on buses and planes and you know then you know, we'd go to America for six months and there was no internet. You know, you'd be in Oklahoma and you try and make a phone call to Australia and they go, what in the hotel? Then you had to get them connected, so you'd be quite isolated. So we learned to you know, we became quite quite tight and rely on each other. But then you would fight with each other too incredible because you were with each other too much. And then Chrissy and our guitar player Mark became we're in a relationship together, so that was made it harder. That was a whole other thing. And oh we've I've got many stories of going to Melbourne and get two higher cars in Melbourne and Chrissy and Mark they'd set off with our tour manager and the three of us again and the other kind of driving down the Tullamarine Freeway and there'd be Mark walking down the middle of the freeway. Yeah, and he's you know, I'm not playing with her anymore. I've had it, you know, so many fish, you know, punch ups. But it was a man, it was intense, you know, and after you finished playing everyone to drink and whatever, do whatever else and and it was intense and it was chaotic.
Speaker 3: But look, you'd finish what like you finished you said it like I know in those days above its ten, ten thirty, sometimes later than that later but then then then because I mean then you're completely fucking hyped up.
Speaker 1: So it depends on what. Yeah, So if we were playing saying Sydney, we'd all go as it used to be a place I'm sure you probably knew it called Manmer, Bennie's, Benni's. Yeah, we'd be there, you go to Benni's. Yeah, oh yeah, Yeah, I was scary.
Speaker 3: I knew if I was and Bennie's, I was in the wrong place because you know, like I knew the blake who I owned the joint, or Kenny Carter and he's one of the owners and neck and himself. But it was a fucking scary, Like it wasn't scary place, it was cool, but like you knew you you're in trouble, you know, like especially if it was specially if it was Sunday night, you knew you in trouble because you know, in my casaid he had to work the next day and starting to work in those days to a law firm at nine am, and and it was it was a pretty greasy wake up, you know.
Speaker 1: But so Benny's a great example. Well it was the mansl room. So that was the place that you could go and you know, meet up with a lot of your peers there. A lot of other bands have be coming back and hanging out there. And many a time I lived in a I lived in Paddington then and I walk up, you stunt coming up walking home from the man's room with your guitar sometimes and they were fun, you know, it was fun fun. It was fun times. So obviously you ran a bit of problem, personal problem. So how does that shit happen? Like how did you?
Speaker 3: I mean, I know how that you can start taking drugs because that's the that was the vibe then. It was like most people don't realize, but in the a's there's a lot of coke around, Like everyone's getting drunk and taking coke. In the seventies it was more more heroin. A lot of pot late sixties and seventies, a lot of pot. It was it just a natural movement for you. Well, so heroin is a painkiller. You know, some people are like the up drugs. But it was explained to me.
Speaker 1: Once by a doctor. He said, you know, heroin comes from morphine. Morphine was developed for soldiers, basically who and morphine is not actually an anesthetic. What it does is remove fear. Was that right, Yeah, And it works on a certain part of the brain. It's not it's not like an anesthetic. I mean, it's a painkiller, but it works on a certain part of the brain that removes fear. And so that's why, you know, some people love those drugs. I love that drug. You know. I first had it in the seventies and didn't really think about it all that much. I had it. There were some people i'd started playing with when I first left school and they were older than me, and they had some and I smoked it and thought it was terrific, but I didn't really think about it because I was I was how do I put it? I was fulfilled by what I was trying to do, you know, the music and the excitement and playing with people, and that's all I wanted to do. And the drug thing. I mean, I always smoked pot and did whatever. I always enjoyed that, but it didn't it came back into my life in the eighties when I moved I moved back up here from Melbourne, and it seemed to in the seventies, I guess, you know, because of Vietnam, there are a lot of heroin came into Australia, much more than coke, especially here in Sydney, you know, you know the vand Aerosmith. So this is a funny little anecdote. I always love this. But they're all in recovery, all those guys now. But we did a tour with them in the the vinyls in the in America in the eighties, and they're all trying to stop taking drugs, and they're guitarist Joe Perry, who's kind of the second coolest guy in music, you know, he's great, and we had a great time and they were great, great guys, and we did six weeks with them in America. And it's a story in itself. But I remember talk doing one day and he says, what's the coke like in Australia, And I said, well, it's not really a thing there. You know, it's in the eighties, you know, it's not really such a I mean America in the eighties it was everywhere. You go into a bar and people have had it on the bar, and so it's not really you know, we're much closer to Southeast Asia in Australia, so it's a much more of a heroin sort of thing there. And he looked at me without a touch of irony and said, I got to get down there. It's great. But yeah, I mean it was everywhere. It was in your world. In my world, it was a circle of friends I had. They started it started to come in and on the weekends, we you know, I was in a band called Matt Finish before the di vinyls. It was a great band. It was doing really well, and it sort of seeped into that band a bit, and I didn't see it as as a as a problem. Then it was.
Speaker 3: Easy to easy to take to. You didn't have to injects. If you smoke it, yeah yeah, you soaky weed in it or something like that.
Speaker 1: I really put on tinfoil and smoke it all. But and when I when I, if I look at it, I can just see there's steps. You know. It became more and more prominent in your life, my life, my friends, and then when I started playing with the vinyls, I think pretty much because we were away so much, you know, we were we were in America for for a month and six months at a time, and there was coke and alcohol and you know, but we were traveling and m H, I didn't really think about it, and I'd come back to Sydney and someone has died or someone's gone to jail, or someone's disappeared, and you know, it's all getting kind of dark. And then I guess h. In the mid eighties, I had a partner and she said to me one day, you should stop taking that stuff because it could become a problem. And I was really offended. I said, what, I can stop whenever I want. She said try, and I couldn't know. Everything went downhill from there and it became this was it was an absolute nightmare, and it was like a secret. I could keep it a secret. In my world music industry, you know, everyone's kind of pretty out there, especially then with alcohol and coke and speed and drugs like that, and heroin had a certain stigma. You didn't tell people that you were doing Hell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, coke was cool, marijuana was sort of cool, still a little bit cool, but heroin.
Speaker 1: Smacks mentioned that, and people sort of grabbed their wallets and back away from it.
Speaker 3: It was King's Cross and it was sort of like prostitute. But is it part of that sort of a bit darker scene. So I can give you a little example of the progression. So it's nineteen eighty two. I go up to the manseel room and they would basically roll out of a carpet. They come in, what do you want?
Speaker 1: Do you want this? And you don't? Free drinks and meet this girl Rick, you know. By eighty five, I went up there one night with a guy who was a news He was in a band from New Zealand, and we both used some some dope and we've gone up there and they had these bounces, these two guys who worked there who were notorious. One of them ended up going to jail for murder with their big islander bouncers and they were famous for bashing people. So I've gone up there and heroin makes you vomit. Sometimes we'd had this heroin and I ran to the bathroom and I'm in the bathroom and the toilet and the door gets kicked open. It's one of these islands. He grabs me. He says right, I don't like junkies. Here. We're going to take you down the back alley and I said I'll just go, and they go, no, no, no, you're going to come for a walk with us. And my friend knew one of them, and he said, oh, look he's a member of the device. We'll just leave. We'll just leave. He said, Well, I remember thinking how things have changed. Yeah, you know, that's that's the progression, you know. And so what happened though? They let me go then, but other things started happening, you know, bad thing suck ups. Yeah, and you know I kept playing, but it took away the great thing. It took away my love of playing music. It took away absolutely what's great about that? No, no, I'm not saying it's great. I'm saying it. It removed. It removed that, it removed everything. I mean. They an alcoholic, they call alcohol the great remover and the same with this. It just starts to remove stuff out of your life, as in strips your soul a way sort of absolutely you become. It took away my personality, you know, my I was a pretty social person. Took all that away. It took away my love music, It took away my family. People sort of started to back off, and I just wanted to be left alone pretty much. Then it became about managing myself as just to be normal so people think, you know, it's a party or it's not. It's it's about survival. And you know, if I had the money, I was drinking in the mornings. But I just I just couldn't stand just being without anything. If I was sober straight, it felt so horrible, so horrible, and I'd go My family lived in Queensland, and I'd go up there and i'd stay with them for two weeks, and for the first four days I'd be physically sick coming off, but then physically i'd kick back pretty quickly and I'd be all right physically, but emotionally or mentally or spiritually, you know, like this whole inside it was just awful and life was dull and heavy. And I said, if this is what being straight is, I can't do it. And I tried that. Each time i'd go up there, it was worse, it was harder. And you know, addiction is I know a lot about addiction now, and I know that it has nothing to do with rational thinking. I mean, you can have people who are social drug user, social drinkers. They might drink for like my sister will do it, you know, she'll smoke pod or and then just stop and won't say I don't feel like any My son is like that. I don't feel like a drink tonight. You know, I wasn't like that. When someone is an addict or has the disease or whatever you want to call it, the disorder of addiction in them, it has nothing to do with rational thinking. You can walk up the road and see girls walking, hardly any of them there anymore, but you know, and you ask them what they're doing, and they go, I'm just going through a bad time. I'll get it together. It makes you do things that you would not normally do. It makes you it turns you into a person that you don't want to be, and you know, you lie to people and you really it's bleak, it's it's awful.
Speaker 3: What what what what negative outcomes did you apart from the emotional so, but what need of outcomes did? Did did it to you in terms of affecting your life, your business life as that as in being a guitarist, I mean, did it affect your relationship with the de vinals, and then I became that.
Speaker 1: Very quiet withdrawn and in the end I had to leave.
Speaker 3: Did they actually leave or you made a decisions?
Speaker 1: You just took the from here actually in a house two hundred yards from here. Yeah. I just wanted it all to stop, you know. And I knew that I'd had a few close calls dying, dying, I'd started to use it intravenously. You know. My health was terrible, never had any money, that was you know. I mean I often think, how did I how did I actually live? I can't I don't remember going to the supermarket or you know, I just I guess other people took responsibility for me in a way.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I had a I call her a hostage, a girlfriend, you know, who looked after me for a while. But also I mean I was going away too with the band, and I'd go away and I I don't know. The last year it was very difficult, very difficult to try and keep it together. A friend of mine puts it, it's like you've got a balloon a full of water, and it gets a hole, and as he put one hand up and another hole, then it gets another, and you're trying to stop it all, you know, and you get you just get tired. I got really tired of it physically, mentally. I just wanted it all to stop. And at the time, I thought, well, maybe I just need to go to the country for a few months, you know, get myself together, fresh air. That's what I thought, you know, as they say, all good junkies go to queens and yes, uh yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought, what was the moment where you thought they're going to I'm going to able to rehab, but I'm going to.
Speaker 1: Do something, actually do something. I had a couple of moments. There were a couple there were There's a story I had that I told Nick actually Nick Fordham about this, and uh he's sort of trying to organize for me to do this book of stories, you know. But where I was, you know, I like Gallows humor. I have a Jewish background. I like the the you know, you can talk about the most horrific stuff in a funny way, and I like that. And but I was. I used to go and meet this woman in Coles in Redfern. She used to there's no mobile phones, you'd ring our and she's RB in Cole's between two and three. So you'd go and she'd be walking up and down the aisles with the trolley and she'd buy your dop offer. And I was on the corner of Cleveland Street and South Downing Street before it was a freeway, waiting for my partner in crime, who was a drummer in the de Vinals, to pick me up. And these two blokes approached me, these two young guys, and they said, can you come with us? Took me around the corner and they pulled out badgers and they said, no younger, younger than the mid twenties. And they said, we've been watching you. It looks like you're casing a house to break into. I said, no, no, I'm waiting for a friend of mine to pick me up. That's all. Radio leans over and in my pocket, pulls out a syringe. Out of my pocket, He says, you got any drugs on you? And I said no. He said you're going to get some, are you? And I said yeah? And he said where you're going? I said, Bondo Hotel. He said, of course, you don't know the name of the guy who's selling it to you, do you? And I said no, I don't, so it's the radio and he turns to his partner. He says, you know this guy, Oh my god. And you know when someone starts talking about you're like, you're not there. So they start having this conversation. Remember Selena's three weeks ago. You know, the guy said, oh, the choir boys say no, I'm not the choir boys. Look, he's a guitarist. Are the the vinyls?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember they have this conversation. I'm just devastated. And I see my friend drive past the back. He's driving around, keep driving. Yeah, And this cop turns around to me and he puts us fringe back in my pocket and he says, he says, you know, you've got a career. You're playing this band, great band you're playing. You've got this great career that most people give give anything to be in your position. And look what you're doing. You make me sick. Fuck really, get out of my sight. WHOA And what did that? Was that? Like a wake up call to you? Though?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: It was a definite crack in a moment, you know, But I mean an hour later, I didn't really think about it because we went and got some drugs.
Speaker 3: But the.
Speaker 1: Big one for me was we had gone to Brisbane to play, and you know, you were asking me about what it was like before and before a gig, and this is nineteen eighty seven and we had done this. We'd done this big tour called Australian made with Jimmy Barnes. It was first of those sort of big day out concerts and in excess, Jimmy Barnes to violence as a film of it and the models mental as anything, and we've done that. I was just trying to keep this together and I'd have a little bit of dape in the morning just to be normal, you know, so I could get through the day and a pean normal do my job struggle. And we went off to play after that, and we had gone to Melbourne and I was gotten really sick in Melbourne and we went to Brisbane to play. And we're playing one of those big suburban parks in Brisbane and it's amazing, you know. And they talk about street cunning, what you can if you're really desperate, what you can get together. You get quite creative. And I got on the phone and I've got this drug dealer in Sydney and I said, can you drop this stuff off to this friend of mine? And he took it to our office and I told him at the office that I had this really important cassette that I needed. So one of the guys is coming up to see us up in Brisbane. They waited all day and he arrived and he said, I've got this cassette for you, Beauty, I've got this cassette. Go out to this gig, big part, and I was physically sick, you know, and running around. Chrissy runs into the bathroom, of course, and takes the bathroom and thinking where am I going to go? So run around. I remember in this panic before the gig, and I found this bathroom and I had this little shot just all of a sudden, I'm like Popeye, you know, with the spinach, right, I'm like, what was all that drama about the last few days. I'm perfectly okay. And got up on stage that night, big crowd and playing away. It's really good and the lights and the sound. I look down there's a little bit of blood coming out of my oh, and I just died. I just I can't tell you. After being that kid who just loved music so much, and I just loved just it was my life, you know. I was obsessed with it, and I just no one else saw that, you know, and I just crushed me. I just thought, I've got a I've got to do something about this. So it was yourself, you did it well, I saw it, yeah, and I The next step was two days later. I was in we were in Milula bar and I went to see my mother and I told her and her and my stepfather, and it's the first time I really told anybody like that. I mean, other people knew, but it was my family and my mother I remember said, oh, we knew there was something wrong with you. We didn't know what it was, so now we know what it is. So then I went to see a drug counselor. One hundred yards up here was a methadone clinic then, and I don't know why they didn't put me on methadona. They sent me to a hospital. I was introduced to aa NA and recovery, and I know it. It's a whole different world. I'd never seen anybody stop and be happy about it. I'd seen people go to jail or die or die. I had, and some friends of mine who I used with disappeared. I had no idea where they were now found out where they were. They were sober, and they kind of grabbed me and dragged me into this sort of other world, which it took me three years of to actually surrendered to it, to the recovery. It kind of relapsed a couple of times.
Speaker 3: And is that about admitting to yourself that you're an addict?
Speaker 1: First, Yeah, it's admitting that you're done. It's like, don't get back in the ring. You're going to get the crap beaten out of you. Just don't get back in the ring. And once you do that, you set free. It's a sort of a dichotomy in a way. You know, it's like admit that you defeat and then you're set free, or you're depending on this fellowship or you know, and you have this freedom, incredible freedom. And I you know, I'd always wanted I just I always just wanted to live in the world with some peace and feel okay about myself. Never had that. And you know, I thought that if I could get famous enough for I mean money. I had never made any money then, but I thought, if I could just get enough of something, it would fulfill me. And it never did. And when I you know, as a kid, I dream about being in a band touring America, and I did that. But the more of that stuff I got, the more drugshold use, because I found that that did not fulfill me. And you know, I'm just one of those people who my sister's not the same We grew up in the same house. But I have this thing in me that's like a whole, you know, and try to fill it with different things. And I mean, I'm not religious at all, but I you know, I just life. Life on life's terms was never enough. Do you still have that whole?
Speaker 3: And so how did you, let's call it, how did you either get rid of the hole or how did you feel it in the meanwhile?
Speaker 1: Well it's a so this is this is where I can get diicy talking about it. But because I'm not I have to stress that I'm not religious. I don't like religion, you mean institution religion as opposed to spirituality. Yes, it's just what I do is a spiritual thing, and it's a spiritual malay, you know, it's a spiritual lacking. It's a it's and I had to basically, I mean, it sounds really corny to talk about it, but you know, I had to find out who I was. You know, I'm not you know, what I do is not who I am, you know, it's it's I had to fight, you know, just find myself. Really and I found out that, you know, I'm good at playing a guitar and and and you know, got asked to join the hooda Gurus and it's fantastic, you know. But I thought, I really thought that part of my life was over, the music part. I thought I that was it and that was my chance and kind of blowing it. But everything I have in my life today is because I went that route, the recovery route, and every day of my life I'm grateful for it. I woke up this morning, I went, okay, great, you know it was about is it because you felt? Is it because I was coming to see you? I think, well, you know, but you know, I have this sort of you know, it's hard to talk about our faith in not in in myself, but the recovery has made me believe in myself and I'm okay in my own skin. You know. When I used to go to the man'sel room in the eighties, I had to either go home with drugs, alcohol or a girl. I couldn't stand going up by myself because of because you're uncomfortable yourself perhaps one hundred percent, and now I'm not.
Speaker 3: And how does someone get how did you find that out? Like how did you come to terms with that? Like did someone guide you down that process or did someone tell you that?
Speaker 1: So the last couple of years or the last year, a couple of years of using drugs and alcohol and the chaos of it, you know, I'd have I quite like going to see a psychiatrist. I run rings around a psychiatrist. You know, you get to talk about your favorite subjects, you know. But you know, I had people. There are a few people in my life who knew what was going on. And you know people do this too. You know, Oh this is bad. You've got to stop. It's bad. What are you doing? Get yourself together, pull yourself together? Stop? You know, I think, yeah, okay, yeah, I'll just stop. Genius, what a great idea, Just stop? Couldn't I used to walk to a drug dealer's house thinking I dropped dead yesterday and someone revived me. Why am I doing this?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: I know people who have left their kids at a dealer's house is collateral? I mean, why would someone do that? And why would someone sell their body on the street. You know what? You know, you see your mother crying being you to stop, and you go, yeah, I'll stop, and you mean it sincere, but you can't. And this is the thing people don't understand.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's something that's bigger than you. You know, It's like a counselor said to me in one of the hospitals I went to. She said, what are you going to do when you leave? I said, go to Queensland. She said, that's nice, said if you had diabetes, would moving to Queensland fix it? So of course not one. She said, well you need to look at it like that. You need something outside yourself because you're on your own are going to win against this? And she's right. You know, I tested it for a couple of years and I relapsed until I just went right enough. So I threw myself into it. For you know, I made it the most important thing in my life.
Speaker 3: In other words, the most point thing in your life is to cure yourself.
Speaker 1: Well, to open myself up to recovery. I don't think I can cure myself, but I have to do it. Yeah, I have to take responsibility for myself and do it. I'm not if I sit at home and think, Okay, well I'm going to fix myself now. It never worked. But see, the most profound one of the most profound things was, you know, I'd never seen anyone give up. You know, I love How can I explain this. I love what drugs did to me. You know, I love that that feeling.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 1: I hated all the other stuff that happened. And so I found out that I couldn't have one without the other. You know, if I'm going to drink that's going to come something, all this other disastrous stuff will happen. So you know, I thought, oh, you know, I'm going to have to give up this thing that I love. Now. I remember I was in this hospital and these two people came and they did what I do a lot of this stuff now myself. But they came in. They do what's called an H and I meeting. They stands for Hospitals and institutions. You go out to hospitals jails talk and just basically just tell your story. You don't say you've got to do this, And that's what they did. They told their stories. It was I sat there looking at them, thinking these two people, they look pretty cool. They were both like four or five years sober happy. I thought, I've never seen anything. I wasn't happy about it, about having to give up that stuff. I want all the dark stuff to stop. But surely there must be awaken I mean dream buntain or yeah, you know. And they I said, what do you do? You know? They said, oh, we go to these meetings and you know, told me about recovery and and and that was that was That was pretty pretty profan, you know, I thought then, I thought, when I first started to look at the AA thing, I thought, oh great, you know I'm going to be in a little suit selling bibles in Bondo Junction. That's what I'm going to be doing. No fun anymore. This is a penance, you know, for what I've been. But it's quite the opposite. And do you do you reach out to other people now? And have you been doing it?
Speaker 3: Reach out like help help other people that you that you know, I've got the same issue that you absolutely have.
Speaker 1: Went out to Long Bay jail two days ago, really and you tell them your story. I've been doing it for well thirty years. Is that part of your therapy for yourself. So I had this moment where when I was a year about a year sober, and we had this big gig in the hoodah Gurus at the Entertainment Center. It was a great night, Terrific. We have this album out happening. It was great, and you know, I'm thinking, wow, you know, I've got my wife back. And then this friend of mine two days later said come with me. I get your clearance to come out to the Long Bay jail and do this talk. So I went out with him. I was walking out of the jail afterwards, I had this feeling and it was a fulfilled feeling, and I'm thinking, this is what I always wanted. This is what I wanted two nights ago. And don't get me wrong, the two nights ago when I was playing Terrific, it was great, But this was different. This was a different this is for you personally. Yeah, it was different, and it's corny to talk about it. Just like you help another person, you do it, mate, I know you do. And when you help another person, I mean, I'm not some sort of mother terrasa and walk around the earth for helping people. I don't do that. I do it for selfish motives. I was going to say, I do.
Speaker 3: It for selfish reasons because it is fulfilling, and I don't get the fulfillment in any other way. And I do my mental show for that reason. I mean, I'm doing exactly what you're talking about, but it is for selfishness. I remember had Danny Abdullah there sitting one day and he runs this program about forgiveness after his kids were killed by that motorist, and he said the same thing. He said, I run the program forgiveness for myself selfish reason. It helps me deal with what I've got to deal with. And I get, I get one hundred percent. And I think maybe sometimes some vers maybe you're one of those people to nearly take sixty years to work this shit out.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: Other people work it out really young. I don't know why the fuck they do, but how that happens. But it took me a long time to work out what really fulfilled is?
Speaker 1: It fulfills me.
Speaker 3: I always thought about making money or you know, smashing the banks, all that sort of stuff. I mean, that's a bit like you're playing guitar, Like I mean, I'm out there in that confrontation world. I love the confrontation. I love the challenge. But what really rocks my boat is about sitting and talk to you. Listen you talk, telling me this story or do my mental show.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you told me that because it's sort of re stated in my mind. Sometimes we just do because that's what we do. I do the same thing every day and I forget why I'm doing it sometimes, and sitting here with you today is usually reminding me of say, okay, to be selfish and look after yourself.
Speaker 2: Go.
Speaker 3: You know, it doesn't matter whether it's addiction, you're trying to deal with whatever, it doesn't really matter.
Speaker 1: I think everybody has their own things. You know. That was my path and you know, I mean it's what it's done. Is when you're for me. If I'm fulfilled as a person, it affects every area of my life, like the marriage I have, for instance. You know, I have a great marriage now. My relationships were chaotic in my past. You know, I like, there's a great saying, you know about recovery makes the ordinary extraordinary. It's a great saying. You know. I needed to think, how do people how do people go to the park, How do people go and have a meal and enjoy that. And how do people you know, I wanted all this stuff, you know, and now I do and I mean, you know, I get to play in a great rock and roll band too, which is a huge when you're next gig we're playing, would we just stopped. We stopped a couple of weeks ago. We've got our next gigs in Brazil in August, and we've just announced two days ago. It's so great, I tell you. For a band like us, we we're constantly shaking our heads just because we're always saying, oh, this will be the last year. We've thought that maybe the last fifteen years, but people still come, you know. And we've just announced this tour straight into it in November, which is just selling really well. And yeah it's still still and you know, we we we have a very high bottom line, you know. We we we play really well and we people come to see us. They it's a good it's a good night.
Speaker 3: If Rie Crossman was to compare yourself with Rick cross and when you first joined the Vinyls and you're playing at pubs and you know, you had Christies up the front, and as you said, it was sort of confrontation and all that sort of stuff in the pub. If you were compared, you compared that dude to today, the dude is now in the Guruz and is going to play in Brazil. What's the difference between the two? I don't mean in a personal sense, and you know how you how you play, how you address the audience. Obviously it's not pub environment, but how what is the difference between the two. Is it more chilled, older, mature, in control or you're still into it?
Speaker 1: Still into it definitely you can't energy? Oh mate. The only difference is it's physically harder. Where yeah, I mean we I go swimming and you know, I have to look after myself a bit, you know, otherwise to train for it. Well, yeah, we do an hour and a half and I know we did it to a couple of years ago where I noticed that you get to about fifty minute marking starting to go losing my breath of the year, you know, because we don't we bash ourselves, you know, we go hard, and so I had to, you know, I started going swimming and that just for the stamina. Because we did this American tour, were playing five nights a week. We're in our sixties and so you have to be you have to look after yourself. And it was good. It's good. And it's a great thing too where a band like us you get on the road and you after a couple of weeks if you're doing a tour like that, because we here we will play maybe once a week or you know, a couple of times a week occasionally, you know, and this thing happens when you when you do it with the band, after a couple of weeks, you kind of get into this, into this sort of on this role, and it's a great feeling. It's a great feeling. It must be like when someone you know, some of the league players really fit and they're they're kind of you know, they've gone through their their training, their pre season stuff, and it's a terrific feeling.
Speaker 3: And what do you think about this Row music scene today? Because I'm obviously the pub scenes not where it was and you know a lot of pubs pull down what is what do you say he said it were is big on the globe platform in terms of our impact as we were back then.
Speaker 1: It's very very different world now. You know, people talk about streams and I don't know I'm the live thing is very different. I feel like it's coming back. Music is cyclical, you know, it's low fashion, a little bit low fashion. Yeah it Well, I hope you know that usually, you know, every fifteen years or something, someone comes along kicks the door in a bit and you know from the sixty Dylan did it and All Beetles did it, or Rolling Stones, Nirvana, punk rock. I hope that happens again soon.
Speaker 3: Because but I look at things like you know, Splendor and Oize they're getting canceled because for the fucking insurance and this sort of ship and that's right, and like I mean, I saw the Roots and Blues, I don't think. I mean, unfortunately, every time they hold it starts rating on all the deal is. But you know, people are sort of getting a bit nauseated by going to these events because the conditions are ship and or you get all wound up for it and it gets canceled on canceled, And I mean, I don't know how to solve this stuff, but a lot of us got to do with all the costs associated, and the promoters just can't handle it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I mean, who was it was the guy who just came a few months ago called Fred Freddy fred again fred again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he killed it like he just got an announced like that morning.
Speaker 1: Well all I mean they up, Yeah, all the venues were booked, it was all planned. Yeah, yeah, totally. But but but the people didn't know. The people assume of it.
Speaker 3: And because I had the boss of TG here the other day, who promoted him and.
Speaker 1: Who was that?
Speaker 3: Colin Colin, Colin, Colin's from Jeff Jones, Jeff Chants Jeff Jones, and he came on our mental podcast and it was like it was staged but still like.
Speaker 1: Incredible filled it up. I mean, I just don't. I just don't get it. I mean, it just does my you know. I mean I remember when DIA straight sold out what do they do twenty entertainment centers. I understand that this I don't understand. I just don't. It's just it's a phenomenon, you know. And Colin, who is one of the promoters, said, now there are a lot of acts who are going to try and do the same sort of thing in America and they won't. It's because it's a it's a it's a kind of it's a phenomenon really what he did. I mean, it's incredible what he did, totally.
Speaker 3: Like, I mean, I for me, I don't want to go somewhere with this toy. Mean I go the pubs all the time when I was younger. But I don't like the idea of I don't mind listens like.
Speaker 1: I'd like to.
Speaker 3: I actually do like to listen to my favorite music and musicians streaming or on Spotify.
Speaker 1: Do you play Vinyl at I've got a record totally got a record player. Yeah, see I wish I was wanted to bring you something. Yeah, I've actually got it.
Speaker 3: I got at home, and I've got one on my farm too, and and and I only just decked the farm went out more recently, set up more recently, because yeah, I love Vinyl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love get I also CD. I also got a CD play.
Speaker 3: I've got an old banging off a bo Center six six disc CD player, which I fucking love. I just love it, like I played all the time. And I mean I and I did. I was a triple Emma for many many years.
Speaker 1: And they love I mean, that's promoting our tour, are they? Yeah?
Speaker 3: But you know, like Mark Ayre and Maddie Johns who show you've been with Cooper Uh, Gus Walland I'm going to one of Gussy's breakfasts tomorrow actually as a matter of fact, for one of his charity.
Speaker 1: The charity runs.
Speaker 3: I'm good mate to those guys, and they were such, they were your biggest, your biggest media promoters. It was unbelievable and all the trade's everyone because that's the station they listened to, Tribling and uh and and I therefore, I'd rather listen that than going to a live gig today, mainly because I don't like the fucking hassle of it. I would I do go to Splendor and things like that, though if I'm away, I mean I got out of Farmer Byron, so I will go to those things and and put up.
Speaker 1: Cop the crowd because much more relaxed.
Speaker 3: But doing what the younger people do today what I did when I was younger, just going out on Saturday night and doing my best to get and do my best to sort of crawl back home.
Speaker 1: I don't know whether I could do that these days.
Speaker 3: And I just wonder whether people who like me, who are used to that pub scene, we've all got older like you are.
Speaker 1: And we just go a little bit more chilled. You know, my closest friend in the world is the drummer in Midnight Oil Rob Hers. And they were doing their last tour and his wife, who was looking after the seats friends and family, she rings up and she says, I've got you a couple of passes, you know, thanks for the gig. And I rang back. I said, Leslie, I've got to ask you. Are they seats. They've got a big seats. I'm not coming two hours. Your legs are fucked up, mate, I can't, you know. And I always used to joke, you know, I'm in a band, get out of the audience, you know, I don't want to be in the audience, you know. And I I go and see people, you know, I went and saw I go and see recently Cheap Trick, Oh wow, sensational. That was so good. Then I went and saw the Damned you know, the English punk band. That was terrible. But I go, you know, I go out and see people. But I can't. I'm not going to go and stand a pub for two hours. No, I can't do it anymore. And I don't really like it. You know. We're doing the endmore theater this year. So was great, so you should come, We'll come on when is that? That's in November? M was great, but you don't. You don't do pubs. There's no pubs. We we do we occasionally occasionally we will do them. Was the bag of moon Bar? Or could you could you Celena?
Speaker 3: Well, that's that's cause that's a Couldji Bay Hotel Selenas. But there was one up the road call it's called there's now the holiday in Yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: The Oceanic.
Speaker 3: But there was a bar at the back or the back of the moon Bar where they had the bands.
Speaker 1: I saw a dragon there. I saw dragon there.
Speaker 3: And and I guess you were sort of you would have been around probably before Dale Breath. Would Daryl breathwait period you guys?
Speaker 1: Or the Divine the vinyls before Darryl? Would that be right? Because Darryl Daryl was the eighties? Yeah, who's eighties?
Speaker 3: But the dis are like more like late seventies eighties. We started right because he lived around BONDI somewhere, didn't he There was a house in Bondo and Pankeville Street. Everyone used to say, like a big giant was only out there and the rest apartments and everyone used to say lived there.
Speaker 1: You know who used to at the end of Pankerville Street and then go across Old south Of Road up to Barada. There was a big house there. All of my sex used to live there. Maybe I'm getting yeah, I still remember it.
Speaker 3: Like everyone used to talk about it all the time, and you used to sort of drive past and think to yourself.
Speaker 1: It was a bit of a mystery to me, mate. And when you know, I just tell you just a great, a great moment in my life when I was left school and I go out and I'd see Sherbet and Skyhooks and Ariel and Piranha and all these bands that were around. Obsessive with Billy Thorpe, and you know, I'd go sneak into pubs if they were playing pubs, but they were usually in other venues.
Speaker 3: They thort nastics, ye, And I saw everyone.
Speaker 1: You know, I was obsessive, you know, I go and see everyone, and Daddy cool. And I loved Skyhooks and I loved the lyrics and the send ups, the stuff that they did. And I'm getting right up the front of the Bond of Life Saver underneath Red Simon's and yelling at him and Anyway, my career started in Melbourne and it was completely by accident. And you've probably had moments in your life where you're kind of confronted with something and you think, logically, this is not right to do. But and I had gone to Melbourne to visit a friend. I knew one person in Melbourne. She said, bring your guitar. I went down there, said there's this band you s'o's going to have a play with them. I had up here. I wasn't playing live or anything. I was trying to form a band with people and it was hard. These guys are older than me. And I went for an audition and they said you want to stay. We played five, six nights a week, all original music and it was like I remember standing again. Yes, I mean just the logistics of it were just crazy. I didn't know anyone, I had no money, and I get taken off by these guys right And for a week we played some suburban pubs and we had a gig in the city in Melbourne, and they were from this Carlton scene in Melbourne and they were all older than me and they were quite well known in Melbourne. My first gig in the city I'm in the dressing room and they're all in there. Ross Wilson, the guys from Skyhooks, guys from Ariel, you know, they're all in the in the addressing room. They were coming up to me. I'm like he's and they were coming over and going, you know, welcome. It's amazing, absolutely amazing.
Speaker 3: And probably very inspiring to motivate the shit out of you.
Speaker 1: Incredible was the group the Bleeding Hearts at schooled. The great guy in that band was a guy called Martin Amager who went into a bank called the Sports and Martin wrote, went on to write a lot of soundtracks for Australia, Australian films and TV and ended up he passed away a couple of years ago, but he he was the head of Afters Australian Film Television School Genius but was a mentor for me and he was like this back then, he was like this sort of Keith Richards type, sort of pretty loose, sort of a great songwriter and just one of those caras, very charismatic people you meet in your life. Do you last question for you Rick, do you do.
Speaker 3: You ever think about and or feel that you are one of the still standing great Australian guitarists, having covered off like two really well known bands and lots of others, but really well known bands, it's still here.
Speaker 1: Do you ever feel as though that you have.
Speaker 3: A really important place in the history over the last fifty years, not for quite fifty years, but so nearly fifty years history of rock bands in Australia. Do you do you know that that's the person who you are or do you just think, no, that's not me. It's pretty important because you know, like Tolay, those two coppers in reference who recognize you. You know, like maybe you're not going to be necessarily recognized, but you're going to be known that people know you, they know who you who manage you with, they know the songs you was playing to, they know the venues you played at.
Speaker 1: Does that ever dawn upon you sometimes? You know? Oh, the two bands I've been in, the the Vinyls and the Hoodoos have both been put in the Australian Music Hall of Fame, so as they should be. So we've I've been put in there twice. Now I don't think about that. Glen A. Baker, Do you know Glen Baker? So he comes up to one day. He says, you know, there's any five people who have been put in? Where's the hat? He's a great speaker. He says, there's five people who have been put in twice. Rock historian. No, I don't. I didn't think that, and he says Jimmy Barnes Wow, Ross Wilson Wow, Glenn Sharick Wow. Then there's Gary Young who's the drummer in Daddy Cool and JoJo's appe and myself. So I said radio. So I got Gary Young and we had some photos taken together because we have the two blue collar faceless blue collar workers have been put in twice, you know, Jojo Zepp and the Falcons back. We're going back the seventy sevent and you know I don't, but you do. Man. I'm very grateful, and you know, I'm very grateful, and I still I'm still really active. I'll send you something after we finish as something I'm doing with with some cricketers and footy players. That's that's interesting. And you know, I'm writing some songs. I'm trying to do a book writing songs with my friend Rob Hurst, and we've done five albums together over the years called the ghost writers and they're all commercial disasters. But but you'd love doing it. I love doing it, you know, I like enjoy playing more than ever probably, And I teach at a UNI in the city, and I really get off on that. I've been doing that for twenty years, and that's a whole different world, you know, trying to you have to keep changing every few years, changing the way you relate to you know, like I started twenty years ago and I'm teaching eighteen year olds and the thing is now they're fifty. Yeah, but I'm still teaching eighteen year olds and I'm I'm twenty years older, and you have to adapt and how do they relate to me, you know, and how do you relate to them? How? Yeah, And it's interesting, it's good, you know, it's a challenge. It's a challenge. And I mean, you know, my son I remember said to me one day. You know, you must have walked around in the eighties just going, oh, this is amazing, what an amazing time. I said, No, it wasn't like that. It's I'd get the worksheet from the agent each week, you know, we go okay, we're playing here, and oh there's going to be that's going to be tough, that gig and you know, the Goman cutter out of Blacktown, like it's going to be a blood bath. And you know that's what it was like. You just live kind of from week to week. And I don't. I mean, I'm lucky. You know, my friends, they keep me grounded. And when I first went into recovery as a great woman, an amazing woman who worked in detox here, who saved lots of people's lives, and she saved my life pretty much. And she said to me, she used to call me Richard. She looked like Dame Edna and she said there and she said, Richard, if you're not careful, your ego will kill you. Now. I didn't understand what she meant because I've never been someone to walk around saying don't you know who I am? I've never done that. But she meant about finding who I am really and just being having some humility and being comfortable with that and being comfortable. Yeah, And I you know, I don't. I mean, I don't know. I don't walk around thinking wow, you know, I don't. But I'm very grateful that I had this incredible career and I've got to play with amazing people and you know, like you you know, you know some for him but not in your game and yeah but you yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: Look sitting here with you for me is like fucking wow, seriously and you don't get it, but that's okay, but serious it is as wow because I feel like you.
Speaker 1: Are sort of royalty in role sense for me. See, we did with these interviews a while ago for Rolling Stone, and they they wanted to do this individually. And this guy is a rock and roll journalist and he's kind of there and he's missed cool, you know, and he's asking me on this question. He said, so, you you been traveled around a lot, and you've you know, you must have met some incredible people and what's the most exciting wow? And I said, well, I've sat in a room with Mick Jagger, but I was much more nervous meeting Wally Lewis. And the look of disappointment on this guy's face he's a foot football player, I said, absolutely, and it's absolutely true when I met Wally Lewis and he's a friend of mine.
Speaker 3: Now, well the reverse, the reverse applies to me today and I want to I want to say two things probably three. Congratulations, won a wonderful career. Thanks, and it's not finished, it's going to continue, and your continuation of it. I want to say thank you for everything you've given to your audiences, which I was a small part of your your much larger audience. And finally, I want to say thank you for your honesty today about yourself.
Speaker 1: That's really important. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Brick Crossman, Oh thank you, mate, man that seriously thanks a lot, mate, Thanks
Speaker 1: Like b