Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Tuesday, July fourteen, twenty twenty six. Investors are flocking to new bills, an unintended consequence of the Albanese government's property tax shakeup, and lenders say they're increasingly competing with first home buyers while seeking to avoid higher taxes on established properties. Just two states could participate in the federal government's much vaunted national Firearm by Back scheme, which Anthony Albanesi announced after December's Bondai massacre. New South Wales Premier Chris Minn says his state and the Act are likely the only two participants as the jurisdictions brawl over who's paying and how much. Those stories alive now at the Australian dot Com dot au. Donald Trump's peace in the Middle East has failed for a second time, with war restarting with Iran to match the active hostilities still raging in Gaza. Now the battered Iranian regime is asserting its control of the Strait of Hall Moors. So is this modern day piracy something we just have to get used to, or is there a way back? Chief International correspondent Cameron Stewart is here in just a moment.
Speaker 2: As fresh strikes are exchanged across the goal for Iran has declared the Strait of holl Mooves is closed.
Speaker 3: Prompting a major military response from President Trump and the Pentagon.
Speaker 1: The US hitting more than one hundred and seventy targets in Iran over two days. The latest round of air strikes was triggered by Iran firing on another commercial ship crossing the Strait of Horror Moves across the Golf Region. Nations are taking emergency action following a fresh round of US strikes on Iran. Cameron Stewart is the Australian's chief international correspondent camp. Just twenty five days ago, we were talking about peace in the Middle East. Now we seem to be back in a war. Is this actually an active war now?
Speaker 3: I think we are seeing a very fast ascent into the war. Clear. Yeah. I think it's hard to argue anything but the fact that the memorandum of understanding that was signed between Iran and the US in June is now dead.
Speaker 1: Here's what Donald Trump said about that at last week's NATO summit in Turkey.
Speaker 4: I don't want to deal with them, and with there's gum.
Speaker 3: You know what scum is. There's gum, there's seck people. There's something wrong with them. They're cuckoo. Sorry, as I'm concerning yourself, Iran has shown absolutely no interest in seriously negotiating issues such as the changes to its nuclear program that the United States wants, and more particularly the free passenger ships through the Strait of Hum was repeatedly. Iran has talked behind the scenes doing negotiations of the US while actually firing on ships coming through the Strait of UMUS. So, the Trump administration was very patient for a long time, but now it appears to have lost that patience. Donald Trump has been calling the Iranian leadership scum. The War Secretary Hexeth has been saying that they will pay the price for breaching the conditions of this ceasefire.
Speaker 4: No one sails from the Street of Hormuz to anywhere in the world without the permission of the United States Navy to the regime in.
Speaker 3: Tran, So, I think we are seeing a very fast descent back into war.
Speaker 1: Was there another way through this for the United States cam that didn't involve bombarding Iran?
Speaker 3: Look, I mean the Trump administration has tried everything possible to get the plumaceed to work. It really stretched the boundaries of language in actually getting the MAU signed in the first place. But Iran has not acted in good faith at all. And no, I don't think stration actually has much choice now but to continue the conflict in some form. The great question is what form that is going to be. Simply because the diplomatic channel is effectively redundant, I mean, Aurand just shows no sign of actually adhering to any sort of negotiations, and so it really doesn't give the US much choice to aill. I mean, they could just walk away, but that would be hugely damaging for Trump politically, I mean, he would be seen as effectively seed in control of the straitup Moors, where twenty percent of the world's oil transited through before the war to Iran. That is deadly for him politically. Not to mention for the global economy, of course, with the international energy crisis that it's causing. It's the price of Brent crude oil, it's the international benchmark obviously has shot up.
Speaker 1: Overnights gone up five percent, well down from the one hundred and twenty odd which is where it.
Speaker 3: Was a few months ago. But yeah, so, I think the two options that the Trump administration has, neither of which are palatable, are to continue with this limited war that's going on at the moment, or go back into a full scale conflict.
Speaker 1: So do you think the Iranian regime just kind of outplayed Donald Trump by pretending to be genuine about the memorandum of understanding and in fact they never had any intention of giving up control of the Strait?
Speaker 3: I think so. I mean, this is very much the Iranian playbook. They are masters at talking about deals forever and ever and not actually adhering to them. They have made a calculation here, Claire that the Stradapilm was is not really gettable by the US with military force, without such an expenditure of ground troops and other military commitments that would lead to US casualties that would rebound on Donald Trump. I think the Uranian regime thinks they have the pardon the partner, the Trump card here in the sense that if they try and levy tolls of ships going through the Strati films, which is what they're trying to do, they calculate they can make some forty billion dollars of revenue a year, and no one can particularly stop them doing that at this moment. So their calculation is that it's worth the gamble to try and keep the straight closed, and that's what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Ken, what do we know about Israel's role in this part of the conflict, given that it's been such an integral player up until now.
Speaker 3: Well, Israel's role will become really interesting and really important at this minute, because if Thismau, as Trump says, is dead, then that also means that Israel no longer has the technical restrictions if you like that it were imposed on it, especially by the US in not attacking Hesba in Lebanon. We've seen recently some restraint on both sides there between the Israelis and the Hezbla in Lebanon. But of course the Mau was predicated, according to the Iranians, on Israel and stopping its attacks on Hespala. Now, if the Mau is dead, I think Benjamin et Nyahu will see the breaks if you like, being lifted off Israel in all areas, as far as its conflict with Hersbela goes in Lebanon. So this could lead to another flare up in Lebanon. It's two early, say, but certainly that is one of the side ripples of this deal collapsing.
Speaker 1: If we zoom right out cam and look back at where this conflict started. Of course, you know, you could start two thousand years ago, probably, but in this phase of tension between Iran and Israel and the United States, we look back at October seven, twenty twenty three, Iran's militia in Hamas was attacking Israel. Iran's other militia, Hesbala, was also attacking Israel from the north. We've seen nearly three years of conflict now that's then brought the United States very firmly into a hot war in the Middle East. And now we're all talking about the Strait of Hormares, which previously was something that I didn't know much about. Overall, Would we say that Iran's strategy has worked of provoking Israel and therefore provoking the United States.
Speaker 3: I think it's more complicated than that. Iran has certainly had some big losses in the conflicts that have erupted, as you say, since October seven, twenty twenty three, with the terrible ascu of israelis by Hamas, I mean Hamas, one of Iran's proxies, has been orbit destroyed, very weakened. They only have control of half of Gaza now at this moment, so that has been a blow to Iran to see Hamas so weakened. Hezbollah in Lebanon, while this will constitute itself to some degree, is still a much weaker force than it was before October seven because of all those repeated Israeli attacks on it in recent years. And also Syria, the Syrian regime has collapsed as well, so Iran has lost another ally there and so really Iran's position since October seven has not been strengthened. The only good news Iran has had since October seven has been this war with the US, in the sense that while it's still being very damaged, I mean, don't underestimate the damage to Iran's military across the board from those US and Israeli attacks.
Speaker 2: Breaking news this morning, Israeli officials say the supreme leader of Iran has been killed. Our after the US and Israel joined forces in a joint attack to topple the country's regime. American stealth bombers and submarines launched a massive, coordinated attack targeting three key nuclear sites.
Speaker 1: US President Donald Trump called the operation a spectacular military success.
Speaker 3: Also, its economy has been hugely damaged as well, but it has an absolute trump card in the control of the Stradahim was something which Donald Trump was warned about by his chiefs could happen, and he ignored it. And they've taken control. And this has really been the best news around has had for years. And it may be something that they can actually leverage for a long time. And that is exactly what they are trying to do. They've rolled the dice on this and they're going to make sure they keep the stradup from us. There's no sign of le They are going to keep it up without.
Speaker 1: A fight coming up. Does the rest of the world just have to get used to paying for the use of the strait of horn wars? Donald Trump might be willing to die on this hill, to die on this point of principle about the straight of home wars, but the rest of the world just needs their economies to get rolling again. Is there a possibility do you think that we're going to see Iran essentially in control of this straight and shipping companies paying a fee to get through.
Speaker 3: It may eventually be the case, because really Iran doesn't have to do much to stop the straight At the moment, the US is claiming the straight is open, Irans has closed. It's almost a semantic argument there, because really the fact is that no ships will go through under such uncertainty. Insurance companies won't cover them. The risks are too great. But of course Iran has to be a bit careful here. If they continue to close the straight of homes for the foreseeable future for too long, are you're going to see the countries in the Gulf especially just seek other ways to get that oil out of They were already seeing Saudi Arabia try overland roots. I mean, there's going to be alternatives that are being created because Iran's controlling the straight of homes so around these do Platt's hand fairly carefully here, but they certainly seem at this minute to be very determined to get some sort of toiling system going through the strait which will raise revenue for them. Of course, Donald Trump, Marco Rubio Pittex have said that's absolutely not on. And so this is going to be the standoff that we're going to see really developed in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: Iran's battered military, the IOGC specifically has been reduced to a gang of pirates for the flag. They cloak their aggression in slogans, but the world now sees them for what they are, criminals on the high seas.
Speaker 1: What about those Golf States. Earlier this year, when Iran started firing ballistic missiles on the Golf States, purportedly at just American assets in those states, but effectively crippling all those economies and all those airports that are very much connected to the West. Now Iran is warning the Golf States not to get involved. We did see a moment back then where potentially the Golf States might sort of shift their allegiances over more towards the Israeli end of the spectrum.
Speaker 3: What happens now, It's a really interesting dilemma that the Golf States have now, I mean clear, if this war is going to be an ongoing conflict, which at this moment it does look like it will be, that is a big problem for the Golf States. You know, as you say, airlines of the world, including Australia, come through those Golf States. They sell themselves as islands, oasis islands, you know, in the middle of the Middle East, and their whole brand, if you like, goes down the drain. If there is a continuous threat of attacks from Iran, and I think these states are going to have to consider what the nature of their alliance with the US is. Of course, because the US has a military basis in most of those golf states and they can't just get rid of those military bases. It's not an easy thing for them to do politically. Yet at the same time, there'll be a temptation at some stage, I think if this conflict kept going clear stranger as it may seem, for these golf sets to try and sign a non aggression pack, if you like, with Iran to simply stop those attacks happening. It's a very difficult position that they're in, and they're going to be sandwiched increasingly between the US and Iran, and Trump will put a lot of pressure on them to side, of course with the US.
Speaker 1: Well, Cameron, I don't think it'll be the last time we talk about this. Thank you very much for your.
Speaker 3: Time, pleasure.
Speaker 1: Cameron Stewart is The Australian's chief international correspondent. You can Follow this story and the latest from the Middle East and the world right now at the Australian dot com dot au