Speaker 1: Apodjay production. We begin today by acknowledging the traditional custodians of the land on which we gather today and pay our respects to their elders past and present. We extend that respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people's here today. Welcome to the Grow and Glow Podcast. I'm Ashy, I'm Kiara. This is a podcast where we learn, laugh, and level up together. Let's go deep, let the emotions flow, and find the lessons to grow and Glow. Nothing is off the table with Grow and Glow and we're here to be your expander. Hello, welcome back to Grow and Glow. So we're back with Levi. If you missed out on our Monday episode, please go back and listen to it. We discussed all things trauma as much as we could in a forty minute episode. Obviously, it's a very in depth topic and there's just so much to take in and learn, and like we said in the episode, it's a very trendy word right now, but it's just so important that we all get to know ourselves and unpack our past and really learn what's holding us back and why we are the way that we are. We're all such complex humans, messy humans. But today we're going to be chatting with Levi, So welcome back to the show, Lebay. How are you feeling today?
Speaker 2: I'm feeling wonderful, amazing.
Speaker 1: Today we're actually going to be kind of tapping back onto Monday's episodes, so if you haven't listened to that, we recommend going to listen to that first. But when we're talking about the pain that's associated with trauma, so emotional pain, physical pain, so we're really going to unpack that today. So as a coach, what would you say, is there like a more common type of pain that you see a lot of your clients come through with.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean there's so many different pains, right, And you can have gut pain, which is so common like ibs that that people have got so much pain. You've got endometriosis, which has pain associated with all the time. You've got headache pain, migrain, you've got lower back pain, you've got knee pain, You've got pretty much every single disease or condition can have pain asociated with it, and sometimes conditions don't have pain associated but they're horrendously disastrous. But pain is just exhausting when you've got pain associated with something, your energy levels are just so low all the time. It's just so fatiguing, and it's just like carrying like a heavy weight with you all day every day. So people in pain. It can be jaw pain, it can be teeth pain, it can be eye pain. Like seriously, you know, there's so much pain in the world, and that's sort of where I see that pain is connected to that block stress in the body.
Speaker 1: It takes over even like you said, if you've got period pain or headache or a toothache or back pain, it literally is like I had neck pain a couple of weeks ago, and I found it so hard to function and concentrate and just enjoy the day to day things because it was all I could feel and think about. Definitely, and so many women as well with period pain, like I know how I used to be. I was down and out, Like two days, I felt like I didn't even want to leave my house because of the pain, bleeding, like all those different things that were associated with the periods as well. One percent years ago, I had really bad back pain. I thought it was just from carrying Taj all the time, and I went to see Taylor Cecil who coached me for a few years. But I remember first, when I hadn't heard of I suppose this way of healing. I went to and being like, my back's fucking broken. I need help fixing it. And yes, we worked on the physical and we had day to day stretches and different things that he did with my body, but so much of it he was saying was emotional, and I was like, no, it's not. I've just hurt my back being carrying this big, heavy baby for years. But honestly, like, once we get cleared a lot of my emotions that I was feeling and going through at that time and digging up the past, like it's crazy how quickly the pain went away. And that's where I really got to experience similar work to what you do. Probably not as in depth as to what you do, but it maybe really be like, holy Molly, we carry so many emotions and stored energy in our hips, in our back, in our bodies. So it's just incredible.
Speaker 2: And when you think about it, based on what I was saying last episode, pain is just another beautiful signal, right, But it's just saying, hey there's inflammation here, or hey, please don't keep thinking this way, or please don't keep overloading yourself like this, or hey, three hours of sleep isn't good enough. Can you please help me a little bit recover? Right, And we don't listen to it, and it sort of goes okay, a little bit of pain, it shuts up, and then it goes okay, try this fa size. I'm trying to tell you something again here, pain or any of our conditions. You could be playing tennis and you go over on your ankle and you've got a certain amount of pain. Now, obviously that's a contact thing. Whether you're saying your muscles a week because you're not recovering, or you might be going through an emotional stress, which is that's an association, but it is. It's just a physical majority thing where the most of my pain is just a response to a huge amount of inflammation because I've torn a muscle or a ligament. Here, right, we can have physical pain, we can have pain. That was a great example Caura of period pain. The amount of times that somebody's period pain has been fixed just through taking magnesiums in can be six and all of a sudden they come back and they're like, I'm a different person. We haven't cleared any trauma, but it's just like, hey, during these times, I just need extra amount of this nutrient, right, And because you haven't given that to me and you haven't been able to, I'm going to throw out these extra symptoms to say back, the fuck off, don't do as much work. And you're like, no, I can do it through this, and a lot of women just push right through. And as we become more connected to our body and listening, etc. And I've seen that with you Ash, you back off and it's like where you can life happens obviously, but you sort of listen in and you go, I can only be at a seven out of ten during this period. Plus I need some extra sleep, I may need some extra nutrients. And so a lot of times we can resolve that pain or the excessive pain for PMS, just with that extra supplementation. So we've got there can be a physical cause of pain, there can be a nutritional deficiency, but the majority of pain that people go through is what we call chronic pain, and chronic pain is really defined as anything that lasts over six months. Now again, I'm at that point with chronic pain where I hate to use percentages, But I would say ninety five percent of chronic pain is just an unsafe nervous system. So it's fear in the body, and majority of that isn't the food, and it's actually the body is now, you know, which is really smart. It goes I've perceived that this food, this causes the bloating, and the bloating equals the pain initially, but it's now just remembering that this is a condition, or this is a position, or this is an emotion that causes this. And so what we do to reverse that is show the body that this is now safe and people can now eat gluten again, they can now eat dairy again. An example is you know someone that walks in and had been through almost everything, was just about to have their backs like fused. They're having injections just to manage the pain, and within really within an hour and a half, they're touching their toes, they're swaying. In a session or when you can use music and use vibration, we can put you in a place using body up breathing so that your nervous systems calm and I can help you regulate the current emotions so you're in a great place, so then we can do the movements and then you can go back home and you're stressed or you're in a shitty situation, and the pain can come back. And that's where like sometimes you get a benefit and then it comes back, and that's where we go, Aha, the nervous system's not safe. Now we need to Actually it's like a little light bulb that goes there's underlying trauma or block stress there that we now have to release, and when that's all gone, then the pain never comes back. Anything short term up to six months. Really, it can be just physical in a physical pain. Let's say I've got a knee pain and I just keep doing squats with an imbalanced muscles and I'm creating that inflammation all the time, then that's also ys right. But when we're talking about these long term standing things where it's a year, two years, three is twenty years of just constant migraines or constant pain. And what we have are these conditions a lot of the time where someone will start with IBS this is a pattern I've seen all the time. Then they go to fibroma allergia, which is another condition that's basically says it's pain from unknown causes right where they have this idiopathic pain. And there's so many of these diseases where the definition is we don't know why, but it's just pain that we don't know in the kidney or the bladder or the lung or the whatever. Basically, when we see this pain, when we're trying to lean into and go because it's quite confusing, Now it goes well, is this pain only physical or is it from a lack of recovery or nutrition? Or is it emotional? The first step is we ask these questions and we go okay. First up, has it been over six months? And is the pain still there? If it is, then that's one little tick where we go, oh, this could be solely emotional. Next is does my pain sort of switch and change sides or change positions if I'm completely present in the moment, does it go away or does some days when I'm calm? Is it up and down? And if we go yeah, it does? Or there's another tick where we go hmm, this could be again an emotional source of pain. Then we go does it involve It started with one thing and now I'm getting multiple pain. So I've got ibs and now I've got knee pain, and now I've got migraines, and it's just keeps the adding on in different areas. You know, I didn't fall over at tennis. There was no sort of massive start point, and they just sort of come along. So now it's getting multiple pains on top of each other. That again indicates us, this is again our nervous system telling us that it's got a lot of fear inside and that this position or what we're doing is not safe. It's just a little oil light again, trying to get us to listen. Listen, listen, and we're not. And the body's basically trialing some strategies to get you to listen. It goes ah, when I give you pain, you seem to stop doing something. If I've got a pain in my shoulder, what happens normally is the pain happens, and then the muscles around the shoulder joint will hyper contract to try and basically say don't move that joint. You know, it'll happen in your lower back, your QL and your so ass will squeeze down and try and stop you from bending and moving. It's doing that because it cares. It's trying to say you are injuring me, stop moving, and everyone goes, I'm just going to take extra voltare right now and still do my movements right, still going to play stuff that's hurting my shoulder. We obviously need to manage it. We need to listen to that and go, Okay, this movement's stopping me. I don't want to stop forever, but for initial period, I need to listen to that sign. I need to back off. I need to look and go see someone like a physio or a carra or whatever that manages these muscle imbalances and see whether, hey, maybe my posture rounding over all the time is tighten these front muscles, loosen these back muscles, and now I've got an instability in my joint, in my shoulder or my lower backs out because of I've been sitting over on the side like this and now one side's tighter. You know, there's so many physical causes. But when we have these hyper pain and this is the cool thing to know that function posture doesn't equal pain. If you go into a physio and you show them an MRI, you come over and you've got this massive posture like this, they'll be like, Okay, so you've got impingement. We can see that your burs is inflamed, and you've got winging scapula. There's the reason, and it's not always the reason. It is not great, and we'd like to reverse that, but it doesn't equal pain. But when we correlate that, and to the same part, there's been studies that show that I think it's sixty five percent of people without back pain have bulging discs. Just because you've got a bulging disc and we do a scan and you've got a disc and you might have lower back pain at the moment, that's correlation. It doesn't equal why the pain is there. It just says you might have had that bulging disc for twenty years. We don't know. And also we have people that go through back pain where you know, I've been through back pain before where I couldn't walk for a week and then all of a sudden it's better. Just so happened to happen at a really high stress financial time. But regardless, did my bulging disks stop then no, it's probably still bulging. So what is the cause of this pain? Right, It's not always equal to function. That's what we see and the studies sort of back that up. And there's another really cool study that shows the number one way, like if you're going to just try and look at a scan like an mr RYE or whatever and go, is this person in pain? Whether it's the top sports doctors or physios, the stat says that they're about fifty to fifty on. So it's about as good as a guess that going based on these scans, not looking at the patient, not talking to the patient, are they in pain? But the number one way to tell if somebody is in pain is by doing a scan on there. It's basically the little part in the midbrain that responds it to our alert system in the brain that's basically to stress. When we analyze that the activity, you can get up to about an eighty three eighty five percent accuracy on is that person going to be feeling pain at the moment. That study also gives us more evidence to say pain equals a stressed nervous system. Pain equals fear in the nervous system, Pain equals I'm not safe. Pain equals that I'm going through an emotional state where I'm not listening back into the body and the body is saying what you're doing isn't safe right now, whether it's nutritionally the food or whatever, but it's still remembering that pain. Just using examples of clients, generalized examples. But sometimes I will go back into past situations, and once that past situation is now safe and able to be filed away by the brain, the pain goes. Sometimes we can go into a situation where it actually I was going through an emotional situation at that time, and I remember having this huge pasta meal. All of a sudden, we go in make that reframe that allow that to be safe and take away that tiger, and all of a sudden, their gluten insensitivity goes away. And it's like, what the hell is that that is? Because it's an unsafe stressed or the block stress that's been stuck in the body is now causing us to be unsafe, which causes a lot of times pain in response.
Speaker 1: It's so fascinating. I have a question. I'd love to know your opinion around it, because I one hundred percent believe there is a time and place for certain medications and whatever. But I do think we're living in a society where as soon as there's any type of pain it's just like straight to the doctors, take this tablet, blah blah blah, even like basically like Panadole and Europe and Voltaire and Excepta and I've taken it. I'm not saying I'm fully against it, But what's your opinion around all of that? Like how can we always get this message out there that there's always a root cause? And when do you think is the time and place? Like I'm assuming you don't ever take panadole? What would you do with creasy headache on migraine?
Speaker 2: So this is what we want to do, right is let's say I do an injury right away, There's going to be great inflammation in that area. And our job is if I want to make that recovery period faster, I want to limit the amount of inflammation that's created. I also want to listen in and go, okay, I'm not going to keep moving my body in that area, so straight away I should stop the activity. A lot of times the muscular contraction there, you know, like say if I pull the humorous up into the arm sock, it will make it hard to move. So I got to listen to that and say, okay, stop moving my arm, Like this, then I want to add ice to it to reduce the inflammation. Then I would also get people on pay any inflammatories for that first day or two, because we wanted to minimize the inflammation because however much inflammation is left, the immune system has to go in and eat that inflammation up before it can start to heal. And so there is certain times where medication is brilliant. And in regards to just a simple headache, if I don't normally get headaches, and I've got a lot on today and I need to be thinking clearly, take panadol, you know, like that may help. And if it does, fantastic, but don't just keeping it taking it every day from now on. That's not the cause of your issue, the deficiency and panadole, but it can be useful. It's the same as coffee, right. Coffee is such a great way to feel good. It's a me time activity, but it equals stress. And so if I'm an anxious person and I still drink coffee multiple times a day or I take pre workouts, I'm just making my life worse. If I'm an anxious person who's got pain and I continue like life is telling me that I can't manage. I'm not adapting to the stress of my life, So please don't add more stress into my body because life is showing me that I can't manage or adapt to the ones that I'm there at the time. But if I don't drink coffee all the time, or I choose to have decaf most of the time on days, because there will be moments when you don't have enough sleep or you've got extra stresses on and you're like, oh, man, I just can't function. What a beautiful, amazing tool to use to go say I'm going to have a coffee today or I'm going to have three coffees today because I'm just fucked. But then I listen in and go I better actually try and recover. My body is telling me I'm tired. Tired isn't normal. It means something's happening. It only becomes normal when I believe that, Wow, I'm just used to having it, you know. And even saying man that the words we go, I can't do this yet, don't talk to me. I haven't had my coffee. That is such a victim statement. It's basically saying I am so weak and pathetic that I can't have energy without something else. People are going to hate me about this because people are really strung. I'm not anti coffee. If you're nervous, this your life is saying you're in no pain, and you're in a great place, and you've got no extra stress or anything, and you're able to regulate that fantastic or the best time to have sugar or coffee is before or after exercise because movement gets rid of our stress. Movement burns up our extra sugar. You know, after your exercise. If you're someone who's on a low carb diet, this could be the perfect time for you to have that extra sour though, or to have that big sia bowl after that, because your body doesn't need inchulin to get the sugar into your cell. The body's going to burn up that extra stress. That's why movement is such like we talk about this too ash, but we don't even exercise anymore for a body reason. We exercise it for mental health because it gets rid of the extra stress. It's like I could sit there and meditate, or I can actually just go out and bang out some weights, or there's different ways to regulate our body and moving. It is incredible way one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: I always try and teach my eight year old son. We get to have a toolbox. It's like this invisible toolbox, and we get to learn different ways to help us. And I remember hearing as a holistic psychologist because I always I know, for the last how many years, I'm like, oh, I just want to always I want to meditate, and I want to always breathe when I'm stressed. And I remember she did post saying that, yes, breathing is fantastic and it's so good for so many reasons, and it definitely serves us place and we could all be doing more of it. We all should be doing more of it. However, she's saying for her type of personality, when she's really stressed or worried or anxious, the first thing for her to do is actually do some kind of high intensity exercise. It's like a brisk walk, a run, punch a boxing bag, punch a pillow and move that energy first. And then she's like, that regulates her to be able to really drop into a beautiful meditation. And that changed my life. And I've really noticed with Taj when he's got high emotions and he's really angry or frustrated. I'm like, let's go for a walk, let's jump on your bike, because I can't reason or talk to him while he's in that state. The moment we're out of nature sunshine and is moving his body, then we can chat about it. Such a cool tool. We're so passionate about health and fitness, I suppose, but it's something that's just at our fingertips and can be used for so many things.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. Any parents out there that have got children with maybe diagnosed don't mean they've got extra energy or ADHD. Giving them that toolbox of listening in and going I feel like I've got a lot of energy at the moment. Mum, good use that move and let's do it in nature as well, because we've got these negative ions at the oceanal or ground your feet into grass or see it. Yes, listen and move it and use it. And then they'll be like, oh, I actually just want to move.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, and most kids do want to move and huh. This is something I feel like. I wish topics like this were discussed in school. It makes me so sad that so many parents are doing the best that they can, but they just don't have the knowledge. They don't have the tools, they don't have the resources. Like I think back to my mum, like she didn't have coaches and YouTube and you know, podcasts and all this information at a finger tips. Is so much we can do for ourselves and for our kids. And yeah, once again, movement, Like so many kids just have so much built up energy that if they can just move, it helps release it and then they can be regulated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you instead of getting them to move, they get on their iPad or whatever and they're flicking through YouTube shorts or TikTok or whatever, and it's got in creating an excess glutamate amount. And then they come off it and they're like, every kid is a little tosser after they get off those little devices.
Speaker 1: Right, It's so true, and.
Speaker 2: You'll let you should just be like, get off and move and then you can come talk to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honey, do you do exactly that? The kids come home from school and they all just want to chill. They all say like we want to watch iPad and we're like, sweet, you guys do it. We'll make lunches, get everything ready, and then every single night we either go for like a big walk or a big bike ride, because they do they need to move their bodies. Yeah, and you've got a trampoline as well. I don't know if you have a trampoline LEVI, but man, a trampoline is worth its money in gold physically getting a child. Even me like jumping. It moves so much energy, but it also taps into like really playful, fun silly energy. Yeah, we use it every single day. Yeah, it does something to your body. I don't know if there's any science behind that, but jumping is so many women say they can't do that anymore. Yeah, every time it's like I'm gonna wear my pants.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's a lot. Yeah. Yeah. The three number one ways that the research says that we can regulate our emotions in mind and thoughts with our body is breathing deep breathing in the belly using that vagus nerve. We've got humming or singing, and touch. They're the top three where we're using body up regulation of our body. But movement for me, I think they've either missed that in the research. Jumping makes sense to me as well. Any sort of percussion or movement or anything that gets that out is.
Speaker 1: Essential I feel like everyone listening is going to get so much out of that, yeap, And just like such a huge reminder to tune in when things are happening, when pain is showing up, or you're feeling certain ways, ask yourself those questions like oh okay, even around periods, I feel like I just know so many other women struggle with that, taking it a bit slower, not overbooking ourself that week of the month, and yeah, tuning in asking yourself some question. I love here you use the little oil symbol. It's like almost like an alert on your phone, Like when you have pain, there's obviously information or stress in your body. It's like use that as your little messenger. It's like, hey, something's not right. And like I take panadal sometimes as well, but whenever I take the panet, I'm still wanting to know, Okay, how much water have I drank? Where's my nervous system?
Speaker 2: At?
Speaker 1: Am I really stressed? Did I get quality sleep last night? Gosh? What time to go to bed? Oh shit, I was on my emails till eleven o'clock. Like I want to get to the root of it to then, you know, try and learn and do better the next day. So it's just yeah, once again tuning in, getting ground and connecting. And I feel like we're in such a hustle, hustle, go go go, so fast paced society that that's half the problem. We're not actually taking an allowing time to stop so true check in and be like, ah, how do I feel like what's actually going on for me? But we just keep going. Take the panatal like, take this, and just then we create a story. That's just how life is. Life's just busy life, just dress well, I just get headaches. I've had my whole life, and you become victim to your pain, and that's just not how anyone wants to live. It's not so thank you so so much for joining us. We really really appreciate your time and your wisdom and your knowledge. It's just yeah, once again, feel very very lucky to have you on board today and hopefully we'll have you back one day. So yeah, thank you so much, Leve. I learned so much then. And where can everyone come and follow you? What's your handle on Instagram?
Speaker 2: Instagram is at the Mind Bodyguy.
Speaker 1: We also Levi and I have a joint podcast called The Conscious Living Parents. And even though it's called The Conscious Living Parents. I think a lot of people think it's just around parenting, which a lot of it is, but the actual title is us being conscious living parents with messages we want to get out to the world and conversations we want to have. So if you want more of Levi, he has a Conscious Living Parents and he also has a podcast that's just around Amend's mental health as well, So plenty of places you can connect with Levi and learn more from him. Yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Absolute pleasure.