Speaker 1: From the Skying Center. This is Paul Murray Live. Thank you, Sherry, welcome back. Hopefully it's a beautiful time with the family. So we all thought it, Now we know it. She did it. Aaron Patterson has been found guilty on all three counts of murdering after that meal, a meal that we have discussed over such a long period of time. Now, I know you've heard most of the basics. I won't go over them for you, but I want to say well done to a few people here, including Victoria Police. A difficult case to put together, but one that became clearer as they dug deeper, well donder them.
Speaker 2: Today three people have died, and we've had a person that nearly died and were seriously injured as a result, and that has led to these charges. I asked that we acknowledge those people and not forget them the killer.
Speaker 1: And of course on this program, we don't name them after moments like this. I do at the start of the program, but I won't be doing it again because focus should always be on the victims, not on the perpetrator. Did have a friend who was willing to not just attend every day of the court but also today after the verdict.
Speaker 3: One loyal friend has stayed by her side throughout the trial. A silent anchor admit a tide of judgment.
Speaker 4: Ali.
Speaker 5: She said to you see you soon?
Speaker 6: Were you hoping to see her?
Speaker 1: I will see her now. There is a little bit of information which you may well know by now, But if for whatever reason, you haven't, I want to show you that the jury knew, the courtroom knew, but for obvious reasons, because the thing was playing out before a court, we weren't able to show you. Here it is tonight from Channel nine.
Speaker 3: In a hail Mary attempt to convince the jury, Aaron Patterson sat in the witness box. She was up against more than fifty prosecution witnesses and admitted to an avalanche of lies, conceding she misled police when she told them she had never owned a food dehydrator and had never fourished for wild mushrooms. Her lawyers tried to argue it was all a tragic accident and she panicked, telling the jury she might be a liar, but she's not a killer. We can review where Aaron Patterson was held throughout the trial. She's been locked away inside the cells at the Morewell police station and transported into the court through an underground tunnel.
Speaker 1: Good she stays in jail and hopefully will for the rest of her lifele of find out what happens with the sentencing in a couple of months time. But I want to talk about some of the circus around what has fast become one of the world's biggest stories. Now little old Australia really actually makes the news overseas. But as soon as this verdict actually became clear, it was certainly the lead story in the UK, and IVE got a couple of other mentions around the world.
Speaker 7: Breaking news coming from more well, from a court there in Victoria, Australia, where the jury has come to a verdict in the case of Erin Patterson. And the court heard a lot about a piece of kitchen equipment, a dehydrator.
Speaker 1: And now after a ten week trial that captivated Australia and the world, a jury has decided she poisoned them on purpose. Now, as always, you know, I always like to tell you how the sausage is made, particularly on the media side of things here. And you know that way back when before I worked on Telly, I was working in radio and I was a reporter. So I had been to many a courtroom and I have had to do what I never envy reporters having to do on a day like this, because principally no one says anything. Everyone's there essentially to cover nothing. Whatever the winning side is, and it comes to a court, they might say something very briefly, but nobody wants to bager up what has just happened. Nobody wants to be in contempt to court. Nobody wants to ruin potential appeals, let alone of course, the gap between when a guilty verdict is found and when there is going to be sentencing, which means, despite how serious this story is, I could not but help but smile and have my memories of what it was like to be a reporter asking questions over and over again to people who were going to say nothing. It happened on live TV today.
Speaker 7: Do you have anything to say?
Speaker 6: What did Aaron Patterson have to say? How does she feel?
Speaker 3: Will you be appealing this verdict?
Speaker 1: Jess An, If you watch you, I know if you don't ask, you don't get it well. Quite often the asking of the question is what you end up on the six pm news because there is no response. But as always with a major news event like this and one that people can see coming, as of course, a court trial in multiple weeks in the many months before all of that, the moment of a guilty verdict was going to be one which unleashed a whole bunch of hot takes. There were a couple that appeared in the Channel nine newspapers, including this doozy which was from a psychologist too. No matter how many times I read this piece, I don't think it's meant the killer, but was more than happy to diagnose what the situation was from afar okay. But then there was the bloke I think used to be a cricket writer but now of course opines on many other things. Who hows this tried to make a connection between this murder trial and Donald Trump because we were talking about truth and of course that all meant somehow. This was some way of being able to link back to Trump and specifically Kelly and Conway. He wrote today, in a strange way, the fixation on the mushroom lunch trial was also a sign of hope. This is not to overstate what it was for many just voyeurism. Yes, the public will never know as much as the jury and should respect its verdict. But the Mushroom trial was also a Civix lesson and how the criminal justice system works. Yes, it is possible that the full truth will never emerge, but this is how we learned to live with the fundamental unknowns. The fixation shows that we still want to sort facts from falsehoods. The specific case has no effect on your life or mine. Our curiosity about the difference between truth and lives, however, can save us all. Now. Whether these things are written in the fuller motion of the day or whether they were sort of written in the past few days getting ready for whatever this big news day would be. But spare me the psychology from hundreds of kilometers away and the idea that somehow everything anything has to do with Trump. Look at work because I clicked on the article, but I saved it, so hopefully you don't. I want to give you an update on what well was our fascination yesterday, and that was this woman who got her arm torn off by a lion. The Darling Down Zoo is going to be reopening tomorrow at nine am. Now we know that the woman has been taken to hospital. She has lost her arm, but she has not lost her life. We also do learn a little more for hours later about exactly what happened here. Not an absolute clarity, but we got a statement from the zoo today that explained exactly whom the person was who had their arm torn off. The lady involved in the incident is still in a stable condition in hospital and is surrounded by members of our extended family. She has lost her arm. She is not an employee, a keeper, or a zoo visitor. She's a much loved member of the zoo owner's family. It's still has not been possible to interview her to establish what led to this tragic incident. We can confirm that she was attacked by a lioness. She was not in its enclosure. It was not hungry, skinny, taunted, or torture. It's a lion. It comes from a long line of captive born lions in Australia, but it's still a lion, not a pet. We go on to learn that the lion will not be put down now. Obviously, if there was even a serious bite involving a dog, we know what often the calls are, but for some reason, there will be no such decision. When it comes to this line. Now again, I don't want the zoo to shut down. I want people to still go and support her. There's no appearance of negligence here, but it is interesting to find the information. The statement also added a few sort of frustrations with the media and some of the reporting. Some who have been willing to speak in favor of the facility is the Nationals leader and deputy Opposition leader today, David little Proud.
Speaker 8: I actually live less than ten kilometers from the Darlingtown Zoo, and obviously our thoughts are with the family and also with the zoo itself. Understanding that it will open tomorrow. It is operated safely for many, many years, and I think we need to understand and appreciate the circumstances that led to this before we make any judgment and allow that to happen in the right environment.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. And I am not wailing on the zoo. Okay, Hopefully further deeper examinations we'll find out. We'll find out exactly what was happening here. But a couple of eagle eyes have gone onto the zoo's website to have a look at some of the experiences which are available at the zoo again to this point in time, something that has been completely safe. Remember this was a family member of the zoo owner. It is not a member of the public. This is one of the experiences. Now, you know, we've been up close and personal with plenty of animals, and again I don't want this joint to shut down. The Big Cats encounter for about one hundred and fifty bucks is something that you can do. But the eagle eyed people who notice the photo on the website of somebody padding or tickling or comforting the lion may well notice that the human hand is through the fence. Now, regardless of your experience, your familiarity, or anything else, why would anyone be shoving their hand through a fence with any animal like a lion? Now, I hope that photo gets taken down change in the next little while. Again, I have no suggestion that the big Cannon chatter is not a completely say experience, but perhaps modeling the behavior that may may have been part of this is probably not the best way to be advertising. What I hope is a business that continues on. I repeat, anytime you talk about animals, people's passions go through the roof. When you talk about local tourism attractions. People's passions go through the roof again. I just say we will learn exactly what happened here. I'll tell you exactly what happened here, because rarely in the media does anyone ever follow up. We all go Jesus and that terrible move on and then in six months time you go, oh, that's right, that happened. Well, when we know more, I'll tell you more. But am I the only person in Australia certainly against some megalod people in other parts of the media have noticed it that photo? Can we see it just one more time again? I'm not pretending to be any expert with animals. I know zookeepers and if they want to send me an email and tell me why this is cool, please Pullets god onnews dot com do a you what do you think? Is that a photo that should stay or go? As I say, anything to do with animals, the feedback will be through the roof. Pullet's gone news dot com dot Au good news. Hopefully we are on the verge of tomorrow for those of us that are trying to pay off our house. Now, I know any conversation about a cut in interest rates is met with a certain groan by people who are always on the wrong side of the interest rate game, and that is people that are trying to save money in their bank accounts. But for that third of the country that is trying to pay off a house, and more likely more than a third because they are trying to pay off an investment property, the interest rates have been two over too long. It is time for the Reserve Bank, pardon me, the Reserve Bank to cut them. And the expectation is that will happen tomorrow. They will be having a meeting. We all know there's a new board much more favorable to the government. We also know that there's a press conference where the Reserve Bank governor, who previously is so personally blamed but never personally cheered on for the cutting of interest rates or we'll all find out. They have their meeting tomorrow and I believe it'll be announced on Wednesday. Warren Hogan was on the air a little bit earlier explaining why now might be the time for yet another cut, and maybe a even bigger cut than normal.
Speaker 9: They were giving us guidance that they are happy now to take the restrictive setting a way to get the cash right down to about three and a half percent. The market has projected that to continue all the way down to three One.
Speaker 1: Of the many reasons that I am always listening to Warren Hogan, especially when he's on business Now that's at four point thirty in the afternoon, straight before Chris Kenny, welcome back from your holidays, mate, and a whole lot of other things. Well, Sorr, I think it's got another week off anyway, you get my point four point thirty five o'clock trying to plug while telling your story as well. One of the things I like about Warren Hogan is that Warren Hogan is always open about just how realistic we should be about the Australian economy. So that's the reason why we probably get a rate cut tomorrow. But this is the reason why we shouldn't get too fired up about one.
Speaker 9: And although measured inflations come down to the top of their target band when you get rid of the effective subsidies and this sort of thing, the fact is business costs are still running around five percent. The fallen inflation has all been because of a squeeze on margin, so there is inflation risks. The economy is holding up all right, So there is a argument, a very valid argument. Well, I don't think the RBA board will take but that you need to be cautious. The inflation's not gone, the economy is holding up.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 9: This is really what the Fed's doing, of course, with this risk of tariffs.
Speaker 1: But if you're sitting down, I've got some news for you. A collection of economists, when surveyed today, almost half have now said cost of living crisis, the one that we've talked about for how many years, the one that we have all been living for how many years? The one that I thought would be more determinative at the federal election but sadly was not. Well, apparently it's over. Apparently everything's tickety boot. The extreme costs of everything that you have been spending for the past few years, apparently all okay, let me read here. Has the cost of living crisis finally ended? Some of Australia's top finance and property experts certainly think so. Finder's latest RBA Cash Rate Report, which surveyed thirty four experts and economists on future cash rate moves and other issues relating to the state of the economy. Firstly, showed thirty out of thirty four or eighty eight percent, saying that we'll be the Reserve Bank rate cut tomorrow. It'll bring it down to three point six percent. But what about this bit on the topic of cost of living. Almost half of the experts forty four percent, believe that the cost of living crisis is over. Now, this may be very technically true for a bunch of people who are only looking at the numbers, and that's fine. That's a whole bunch of people whose worldview is only about the numbers. People in government, who of course get four pay rises since the twenty twenty two election, a Prime minister earning six hundred thousand dollars, the private jet, you know, all of that business, right, many and most of the people in the media that no interest. It was fun to talk about for a little while until, of course it may well have been a problem and dislodge the government. Therefore, let's just completely look the other way. But I often show you a piece of tape that we have from skyde News in the UK, because yes, okay, maybe month to month we're back into that two to three percent range. Maybe quarter to quarter we're back in that two to three percent range. But the reason why I smirk a little at the concept of the cost of living crisis being over is does anyone think anything is cheaper. It's just the rate at which the increases have been going up is starting to slow, but they're still going up. And when you compare your life in twenty twenty five to maybe twenty twenty two or thirty nineteen, and even the COVID pandemic, you know, there is a world of difference in everything. It doesn't matter if you're buying a universal remote control, a head of lettuce, or you're trying to build your own home. You know, everything way more expensive than it was in living memory. Again this tape from Sky News about why while everyone else may say the cost living crisis is over, you are not a fool. You are not a fool to have noticed everything costs more than it used to and even when the growth of it is just a little more compared to last month, it's a whole lot more from before this mob became the government.
Speaker 6: Inflation is really just measuring the difference between that and that. And if you look at those two lines, you're talking about a two point three percent change. That's the number we're talking about today. But for a lot of people, it's not about that. It's about the difference between this and that. And when you look at the difference between this and that, that's twenty percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent, one hundred percent, even more on certain items, and don't even start on things like insurance. Oh but that doesn't matter anymore. We're sucking up to the Chinese and making the political advantage out of throwing Trump under the bus. I'll get to that in the moment, but first, the opposition leader Susan Lee now I said many times after the election that you don't just learn a lesson, you need to be seen to be learning a lesson. And certainly when it comes to Chinese voters, the one and a bit million Australian Chinese voters who've a hated Liberal in twenty thirteen, in twenty sixteen, in twenty nineteen, well they decided to dramatically change in twenty twenty two and got even harder and Labour's way in twenty twenty five because clearly, of course that then Liberal Party, under its previous leaders Scott Morrison and Peter Dutton, they thought we should stand up to the CCP, and everyone knows we're not talking about the citizens of Australia. We're not talking about the people that have moved here. We're not talking about normal Chinese Australians. No, we are talking about the CCP. But of course it has been weaponized by many, including some people acting on the behalf of Beijing, to send a message to this community the Liberal Party bad. Why because Liberal Party is mean to China that they deliberately have grade every single nuance that has been there about discussing the Chinese Communist Party and the people who live in China and the people who live here. Well, Susan Lee decided to try to be seen to be learning a lesson here and again this is part of a rebuilding process. And the reality is in Melbourne multiple seats have dominant Chinese numbers of voters, seats like the former Prime Minister's one in bene Long and Sydney dominant with Chinese voters. So she says there was a need for a course correction. So she went and met a bunch of Australian Chinese leaders today and this is what she said post meeting.
Speaker 10: Today was a very frank discussion. It needed to be We didn't get everything right at the last election. We needed to change course, course correct for the future.
Speaker 1: Now again, I am very consistent about a hardline and I will never give up on that hard line of the CCP, the Chinese Communist Party, the government in Beijing. But I want to make it absolutely clear, absolutely clear that any criticism of China is of the Chinese government, not of its citizenry. And if that's a point that we need to put up in lights or say as clearly as Susan Lee did today, then we're going to say it over and over and over again.
Speaker 10: We didn't get it right, we didn't get the tone right, we didn't always get the messaging right, and I want to free acknowledge that we've turned the page. I am a new leader with a different tone, different priorities and a different team.
Speaker 1: And speaking of Melissa Macintosh, who is the Shadow Minister for Women, she's a strong Western Sydney MP. Remember she's on the seat of Lindsay. This is one that supposedly always flipped when the government did, but she be at high water or low water marks for the Liberal Party keeps holding onto that seat around Penrith in Western Sydney. I want to get on the show as soon as possible to have a chat just about not how she held the line at the last election, but what her advice is to the party for moving forward Now. She's openly spoken about the issues when it comes to female voters. Again, whether you like the analysis or not, my view is that if you have a look at the elector role, twenty eight of thirty seats that the Liberal Party's lost in twenty twenty two have by thousands more female voters than male. So even if it's fifty to fifty, guess what you end up in a scenario where the Labor Party ends up with more votes. Now, she's had plenty of discussions and we've spoken about maybe a need to put people into the party administration. Again, I'm not pretending to know how the party administration works, but use some people from the business community to be involved in the change of an organization, and organizations sometimes need to change. Perfect example, the wonderful version Australia Airlines. Remember they were on the bones of their backside, bankrupt basically, and then of course they were able to completely turn themselves around, get themselves listed on the stock market and the numbers are doing well, perfect example about people who are how to turn things around, change agents inside many of those businesses. Well, why not the same when it comes to some people in the Liberal Party. Well, today we finally got some public polling about what the electorate thinks about the questions of quotas. Now there is a big asterisk on this that I'm going to get to in a second. Forty eight percent of people were asked whether the Liberal Party should introduce a gender quota. Forty eight percent s eight yes, twenty seven percent I don't know, and a quarter of people oppose. But of course, remember this is what adds up to one hundred percent, which is the entire elector. Now remember only a third of them, about thirty something percent, voted Liberal at the last election. So the question has to be if they did this, would you change your vote? Guess what the likelihood of voting for the Liberal Party if a female candidate ran in your electorate? Sixty one percent say it would make no difference. So this is a really interesting thing, right, as somebody who has said clearly obviously part of a problem. When Parliament goes back, there's going to be half a dozen female members of the opposition sitting on the front bench, including the leader. It's going to be a visual and optical problem. An optic problem. There's a message issue again relating back to those twenty eight of thirty seats. But isn't it fascinating to see that all the talk that unless you do this then somehow you are doomed. Will the extreme majority of people six out of ten is say, even if you did do it, it wouldn't mean that I would automatically vote for you. Now there is no further question, which is if they didn't introduce it, what would you do? But still interesting to note last question in terms of the Liberal Party's political line, where do you want it to be? Do you want it to be more moderate? Well, remember essentially two thirds of people didn't vote liberal, one third voted labor, one third with their preferences, so forty two percent saying they want them to be more moderate. Well, okay, these labor voters that would never move, are these some of that what twelve percent of Green's voters who vote Green and then preference the Liberal Party? I don't know twenty percent, so they should be more conservative? No change at thirteen twenty four percent saying whatever elections three years away, right, isn't it? Speaking of confusing poles, can we talk about Victoria for a second here, now do you send to Allen is a dead set terrible premiers leading a terrible government. But let's be honest, so was Daniel Andrews. But for some reason, these people just have been able to create that triangle of dependence where nobody wants to rock the boat. Now, it's not me making it up that this was a person who at one point in time is politically toxic. The Prime Minister's made plenty of trips to Victoria and does not want to be seen publicly with the Victorian premier. And that may all be different now that an electionist passed. Victoria ended up being a much better state for labor than they had feared, and obviously they were able to impart prop up the Victorian budget with a billions of dollars worth a GST. But what about this for a heartbreak of a day, do you Sinder Allen and the Liberal leader headline voter's deeply unhappy with you, sinto Allan as Labour clings to lead when you actually have a look at the polls that have come out it is now thirty five thirty five, or dare I say a third and a third with a third leftover either voting for Greens. They of course send their preferences straight over to the Labor Party, so that quickly becomes forty seven percent. The preferred premier may well still be the Libs at this point in time, but so what who cares about the preferred premier number. We know where the preferred prime minister and numbers were at a certain point in time, So once preferences get involved, even after all of the shambles that is Victoria, they would get a fourth term in government. Fifty three forty seven, fifty three forty seven. What does it take for a government to lose? Who knows? But perhaps rather than listening to themselves and their own little fights that they're having in the Victorian Libs, perhaps they should pick up the fone of David Cruso Foley. He was able to break the reign of the Labor Party. Perhaps he could have some ideas about how to break the reign of the Labour Party in Victoria. But it looks like they're going to go around again. Thankfully, election not due until November next year, not November this year. Again speaking of to Cintra Allen, she was in out and about in Melbourne to day willing to do what she wasn't willing to do on the weekend, and that it was, of course, go to the synagogue that was attacked over the weekend, where she announced, among other things, they knew police task force.
Speaker 11: Establishing the Anti Hate Task Force in partnership with Victoria Police is the next step in this plan to crack down on hate, but also to work with communities right across the state and continue to strengthen the social fabric of our community.
Speaker 1: Pay attention, pay very close attention the term anti hate generically used, and I would imagine that they are going to, yes, go after plenty of people who propagate hate, including those lunatic Nazis that turn up all the time in Victoria. But the fact that they didn't decide to specify what this particular issue and this particular issue going to a new level of anti semitism. Of course, now we're going to keep it all nice in generally generic everything's the same. Well, watch this space for how this is used in the next little while. Meantime, remember the protest that took place on Saturday after the fire bombing that took place on the Friday, and there are even more details about this that are frightening, but again it's before a court, so I'm going to let that go where it is. Well, remember the attack on the restaurant that was caught up in all of this. Well, test leader when asked about this. Now, firstly, they should have canceled the protest, particularly after the events of Friday night, and when they knew what the extent of those issues were on Friday night, they definitely shouldn't have said stuff like this.
Speaker 4: We condemn any attack in any washer places, but also we condemned the double standards.
Speaker 5: Mohammed Shurrab has led peaceful anti genocide demonstrations in Melbourne for months. He regrets that things got physical. US was making no apologies on behalf of the activists who targeted the Jewish restaurant.
Speaker 4: Is not Businesses or organized ass that aid and support genocide are not welcome here. This business should be boycotted and it should be as a financial target for US as a movement the year.
Speaker 1: But of everything, it's right up there with the Yeah, but what about you wouldn't believe it in terms of an argument, it shouldn't be acceptable in terms of public comments that just go uncriticized, because remember, we're launching an investigation into all types of hate, despite the fact that the one that is obviously causing trouble for Victoria right now. Well, in response, lefties is starting to say that one thing that definitely should not happen is that Melbourne should not put in place what Sydney and other states have had for some time, which is that you need to tell the police before you have a protest so they know which protests should and shouldn't go ahead because some may or may not get violent. And if the Premier Victoria were just like a little bit of a crash course into how best to deal and match the emotion of the times, she can pick up a phone to her labor colleague Chrismans in New South Wales now, even though all of those problems since October the seventh, twenty twenty three were all happening on his watch. In the state of New South Wales, there was a leader who matched the outrage of the community. Watch how he got stronger the more of these attacks there were. This is what people want out of our leaders.
Speaker 12: We cannot have a situation where we are importing this kind of violent rhetoric, this hateful dialogue into Australia in twenty twenty four. This is obviously a fraud time in the city's history, but we need to stick together. We will leave no stone unturned in combating rampant antisemitism and violence in our community.
Speaker 13: It will never be tolerated. We have to stand together to condemn it unambiguously and send a clear message to these animals that these actions will not be tolerated. It is utterly appalling and shameful that an individual would spray racist, hate filled messages on a school. That tells you everything you need to know about how appalling these bastards are.
Speaker 1: Middle Stump. Occasionally a little bit of swear does help, but it's certainly the clarity of matching people with their emotions right. Doesn't make everything go away, but it may gives people a certainty of leadership. Should be now, you know that I love the motorsport. You know I as always number one sport for me is supercars. Well, of course the global motorsport phenomena is of course Formula One, still the number one movie in the world. If you get a chance to go and see that extraordinary with Brad Pitt behind the wheel. Chez is a good looking bloke, isn't he? Anyway back to the real stuff. The seventy fifth running of the British Grand Prix was last night and Lando Norris, the local driver, won. Now it wasn't like that long ago when he wasn't winning at all, but now he is very close to In fact, it is Oscar Pastri, the Australian driver first, Lando Norris second. In the Driver's Championships, one of two will be the next world champion. For Stappan looking like he is starting to lose touch. But for a very significant part of the race, Oscar Piastre was winning. In fact Oscar Piastre in second place was only second place by about six seconds. But he ended up with a ten second penalty because of this incident, which was tapping the brakes behind the safety car. Now early in the race, somebody else had done it, but they did not receive a penalty. But for whatever reason, he did receive a penalty and he was mighty paid off because the ten second penalty meant that he did not win the race. If he didn't get the penalty, he would have won the race.
Speaker 14: Oscar, I can imagine the emotions very high, and we always say that you're very level headed, but I've never seen you quite so upset about the situation you find yourself in. Yeah, I'm not going to say much.
Speaker 15: I'll get myself in trouble. So what Underonniko.
Speaker 14: I think that's the highlight of the day, So yeah, I'll live with that.
Speaker 1: Now again, early in the race, somebody else had done it, they should have blown the whistle on that person, as they blew on Oscar Pistre. But one of the many reasons that I love motorsport, and I mean I love motorsport is because there's so much information that can absolutely answer questions right and rather than sort of referees call or third umpire, have a look at just how specific the information that is available at the end of a Formula one race to work out whether somebody did or didn't tap the brakes, which under the rules is not okay.
Speaker 16: In the Stewards Verdex, they said he breaked at fifty nine point two psi. He decelerated from two hundred and eighteen kilometers are down to fifty two kilometers are in their viewpoint.
Speaker 1: It was clearly a breach of the rules. What a sport, What a sport. But this will either make or break Oscar Piastre. May it make him, May him at the next, the next, the next, the next, Vegas and then in Abu Dhabi. Strengthen him, get him even further to the front and be the next Australing to win a Formula One championship. Quick break back with more enough sport, Back to politics, back to the fight more in a secure on Paul Murray Live. And before we're done tonight, by the way, I will explain to you why Elon Musk is a little more dangerous than you think when it comes to launching his own political party. Want we are off for another ourtown in a couple of weeks time now, As you may all have noticed, many of our family here at Sky News, they've had a little holiday here and there. I'm matching mine up for the kids with school holidays, which means I'll be away for a couple of weeks. So I want to get the shout out in now for Mount Gambia, not this, not the one after, but at the end of July, Mount Gambia will be the next location for our Ourtown, can't wait. I love when we go to South Australia. I love when we've gone to the Bend for the racetrack. I love when we've gone to ki I love when we've gone to Port Pierri, We've been to Renmark, We've been everywhere. We now hit the good people of Mount Gambia. So as many people who can get to Mount Gambia on Sunday, the twenty ninth of July, please do so. Tickets are free, but I want them to be for the hardcore fans of this show first, which is if you can make it ourtown ats sky news dot com. That are you ourtown at Skyews dot com dot au. Now let's get into the conversation as we like to do with a fellow fan of Peter Russell Clark, because he's got the beer just like I do. Does he have the chest here? We'll all have to wait and imagine one other day, Darren. But it is always lovely to see you, sir gad as I should say, none of than Matt Canavan as well is joining us to discuss all matters to do with the news of the day.
Speaker 17: Very quickly little known. In fact, my mum and dad had their anniversary, not their honeymoon in Gambia.
Speaker 1: What did they do? Not much? Fair enough for this is blue lake, Yeah, there is the blue Lake. There's plenty of good things to say if we're going this.
Speaker 17: It's not long alf to say.
Speaker 1: We've got some ideas, all right, if you'd like to see the exact spot where Tarren's Munton and dad know. I hear the cursing in the background out that's gudews dot com. That are you all right? That's that mentioned done. Now let's talk about Albow where China four in terms of meetings the President of the United States and the Australian Prime ministers zero put. Simply, I have had more FaceTime with the President of the United States has than Albo. Now, as we know, Ebus Elbow off again this weekend, off for another meeting. This one he'll be having his meeting of course with the China will no doubt it'll be a handsome little boy, because you know, he never pushes back, does the right thing, manages the relationship. Your all code for not ever calling them out. Whereas the total number of meetings has had with Trump four fifths bugger all tumbleweeds, goodbye.
Speaker 18: Well.
Speaker 1: One of the people who's sort of noticed the problems that exist in between the relationship between Australia and the United States is somebody who was kind of trying to have a go at Donald Trump while talking a little bit about the Fourth of July celebrations. But there was an interesting little detail that for all of the attention about the Australian Ambassador to the United States, the devil is in this detail. Now, normally on July the fourth, a whole bunch of camper people get the chance to go to the American Embassy and they get to do things at the vast red brick pile that is the US Embassy perched atop of hill on Canber's Dress Circle, suburb of yar Alumna. They used to have an American style celebration for in or around Independence Day. Hot Dogs bright yellow American mustard were served with are we hungry everyone? Burgers, fried chicken, popcorn, jugs of coke pluts get it in a bella, Red, white, and blue balloons were floated everywhere the ambassador to give a speech and make everyone feel special. But not this year. Because six months into the second Trump administration there's still no ambassador from America to Australia. So for all of the talk about how bad our relations are, things are so bad that they haven't even bothered to send somebody on the free trip to live in the Free House Ian Canberra. It does just while we're here. Boys. I'm sorry, I'm going on a tangent here, but I love Fourth of Joy because I love how they celebrate their country right and Australian needs to up their game. Now. I don't know whether it's going to be Rockhampton that's going to do it, but here's some suggestions for you man. They have, of course, the hot dog eating Contest. This happens at Coney Island, where literally a human being shoves as many in his mouth as he can in ten minutes. How many?
Speaker 19: This year, Joey Chestnut is top dog once again, the world's greatest eater, down seventy and a half hot dogs and buns in ten minutes, capturing the Mustard Yellow Belt for the seventeenth time.
Speaker 1: This is what I love. It was electric dogs were great.
Speaker 19: My last few times to be in the here, I in sixty two or sixty three, So it was nice to get back in the seventies.
Speaker 1: And the Land of the Free, the Land of the Free send him as the ambassador. Sen Joey Chestnut is the ambassador to Australia. But this is the bit that I hold off on, Matt. You know how it's great astraded dy Bobby's you know Australian flag, grain and gold. I think there's a fairy rice in Sydney harbor Ah in Alaska. This is how they celebrate the fourth of July. They find old cars and drive them off a cliff. Hello, Senator. Which one is the metaphor for the relationship between Australia and the United States at the moment, the one that's full of hot dogs or the one that's off a cliff for people's amusement?
Speaker 15: Well, actually, I think it's going back to the lack of an ambassador that probably sums up the relationship right now. I think the Albanezi is very happy that Donald Trump doesn't seem to know who he is or keep much thought to Australia. We're quite lucky perhaps in that regard, because I worry as soon as the President maybe does turn his attention to what's going on down here, things might change really rapidly and badly for us. I think for all the humor we've got here, I think it is a very concerning time for our country. To me, the Prime Minister seems to be pulling a swifty over Australians. He's not really being upfront about what his goals and ambitions are for the relationship between our two countries, between Australia and the United States, and seemingly his desire to get closer to a dictatorship, a totalitarian regime in China. He's given this very weird speech over the weekend at the Curtain Institute, almost I suppose, suggesting that China is in some way the America as they were in World War Two, because he's getting closer to them, just like just like Curtain Sorry, got closer to America. It's all very strange. He just needs to be upfront with us. I think Australia people deserve to know. Does the Albanesi government view America as the most important friend of ally to our country, which has been the case since John Curtin made that shift since World War Two. Although I think we should replace the United States with the likes of dictatorial communist regime in Beijing. He's just not being upfront with us, and given what's going on around the world right now, that should be of concern to all Australians.
Speaker 1: Well again, you know, Darren, I know, to the domestic political audience, the more trouble he's in with Trump, the better he goes, because the majority of Australians don't like Trump. However, relations between Australia and the United States should always be closer than the relations between Australia and China. And what I did find offensive about the suggestion from the speech on Saturday was, oh, just like John Curtin, we know how to balance things. That was a choice between the UK and the European War or the Americans and the Pacific War that of course at some point involved subs in Sydney Harbor, the bombing of Darwin Broom. I think he's taking the piss by turning around and pretending there's balance with China's the same thing. The only reason we need to build up our military is because of China, not because of America.
Speaker 17: I think if push comes to shoff, we will know whose side we're on, and it'll be America. So that has not been tested in any real way. I think the government in the first term that they had, they were pretty strong on orcas to the point where there wasn't a lot of right wing commentariat that criticized those decisions and those moves. So I think they are trying to rebalance a little bit, whether that's good or bad. And I think what is important is the trade relationship with China was rebalanced during the previous three years.
Speaker 1: But take us inside their head. They they think they been the Prime Minister's office. But the more fights there are with Trump, the better it is for them because the collective Australian public don't like Trump.
Speaker 17: That won't last three years. I think that worked in the election campaign, and it certainly worked with respect to Peter Dutton because he was seen as a Trump like figure.
Speaker 1: That will him out to pay it's to be yes.
Speaker 17: But that will not last. You won't see that level of You won't see them trying to run that type of argument for a full three years because it's not in the national interest and people won't remember it in that way that long.
Speaker 1: Correct. All right, quick, one map before we go.
Speaker 15: Through this, Can I say something about the trade situation that Darren just mentioned. Look what we had on the weekend or just late last week. The Resources Minister Madaline King make the point that it is actually the actions of China that is putting it risk thousands of jobs in Australian steel, in Australian copper, in Australian nickel and zinc. It is the actions of the Chinese government in subsidizing their own industries that is putting it risk the jobs in those manufacturing industries here in Australia. It's causing all of those facilities to put their handout and want billions of dollars of taxpayer support to stay alive. And I'd also like to know, and I think the anything Albaneze should be up front with the Australian people. Is he going to raise the issues that his Resources minister has raised publicly here in this country with the Chinese government. Is he going to raise the fact that the Chinese government's trade and investment policies are putting at risk at thousands of Australian jobs And what is his response to that. He's just silent on that. And the cost of that is we can all talk about great we're exporting iron or a beef to China. How about the thousands of union workers union workers Australian double Australian working work as union workers who are facing their jobs being lost in the factories all around Australia because of Chinese aggressive trade and investment policies.
Speaker 1: All right, plenty more to get to in a moment's time. Remember if we want to join us there in Mount Gambia, it's outside at sky News dot com dot Are you quick break back with more here on Paul Murray Live. And before we are done again, tell I will show you why you should not laugh at the idea of Elon Musk starting a political party. Want to thank you so much for watching here with Matt Canavan, here with Darren Bunnette. And if you would like to send me an email at any time, and I plenty have already about lions, tigers and all the rest of it. It is Paul Skynews dot com dot AU Matt Surprise, surprise, the take up of EV vehicles has hit a little bump in the road where previous growth it's not quite following through surprise surprise, the woke people that would rush towards such a purpose, such a purchase. Are not going for Tesla's for the international politics. And I've said this before as a person who bleeds red, loves hold, and loves broom brooms. At some point I'll own an EV, but I'll wait for everyone else to test out the technology, see what the resale value is. But we know in places like the Act, remember the combustion engine will not be allowed to be sold in the Act by twenty thirty.
Speaker 15: Well that's I think you should invest in Queen Bee and car sale yards as a message from that one. But look, I've got a confession to make too. I actually test drove a Tesla New Tesla a little.
Speaker 1: Whilas week kind of what one. I'm quite, But I guess what. Politicians don't get the benefits.
Speaker 15: We don't get the the cool cars.
Speaker 1: They cool cars.
Speaker 15: But I think what we should do is just that people make their own choice. As I said Polly's we can't get the tax betefit, so I'm not sure if I'm going to buy it. I don't like spending money on cars or a dead asset, but your resale values falls bad on all cars. But but the issue here is why do we waste all this taxpayer money subsidizing the.
Speaker 1: Choices of rich people.
Speaker 15: You've got to be pretty rich to afford most of these evs.
Speaker 1: Why do we do that.
Speaker 15: Let's just people make their own choice. And there's actually a sting in the tail here from this data. You may just laugh and think, oh, well, as you say, woke people aren't buying these cars. The problem is that on July one, just last week, the government's new carbon tax on cars came into effect. And what that means that sets a baseline of emissions per kilogram for the whole vehicle fleet or for each individual car sellers vehicle fleets. And if there are fewer people buying electric cars, the tax that the rest of us has to pay to just afford a normal car, family car is going to be higher. And the governments, all the government's modeling and figures were based on uptake of a lot of electric cars. That's not happening, and so all of their modeling is wrong and the impulset to this carbon tax on cars can be much greater on the average Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because remember it was the hybrid cars which was many people's choice as the transition vehicle. Those get hit by a lot of these things, and basically there was a way of trying to go after the hybrid car with luxury car tax in order to push people towards EV. Again, I'm not going to be a person who's can pretend I will never drive on never own one. Look, they have vastly improved and they do each and every year. I probably won't be buying some of those crappy cars that just yell at you the whole time, because some of the evs do. But is this just the natural take up where all the cool kids have already bought it first, and now we've got to wait for a market to develop, Darren.
Speaker 17: I think the plug in hybrids are popular and that's where the big rise was. The more sort of standard traditional EV not so much so. I know they cut the FBT exemption in March. Maybe that'll change. They might want to look at that again, but the people will make their own choices. I agree there is some cross subsidy for those vehicles, but Australia is such a large country. Until you figure that out, that's why the plug in hybrids are successful. Until you figure that out, I think it's going to be the old style cars will continue to be popular the further you are from the CBD of a major.
Speaker 1: Capital direct all right, I've got a bumper sticker question, almost a yes no for both of you here right. The AFL is talking about having more football into future years. What they want to do is have the main competition and have some sort of secondary competition with a whole bunch of teams that aren't in the full AFL but would be in some sort of you know, essentially first Division. Whoever wins First Division would get one of the eight spots in the AFL Final. So theoretically you could have, you know, the Darwin Shah Southport Sharks might end up somehow winning the AFL Premiership. It is, of course a play for more football, more football, more TV. Blah blah blah. Simple question, yes or no. Do you want a secondary AFL league, Matt, not.
Speaker 15: Not that format.
Speaker 1: No, all right, I've got other ideas, but no, No. Appreciate it helping them.
Speaker 17: Out the old night Grand Final, the Night series with interstate teams, it was terrific. Don't mind that idea of almost an FA Cup style, but that idea of putting him into the eight.
Speaker 1: Now, if rugby lead wants to bring back the Panasonic Cup. I'll be happy because the Bouman Tigers do have success in that area. Be more than happy for that chap, but of course completely different sport. Thank you lads, do appreciate. We'll see you again next Monday. Remember if you would like to join us for ourtown, Mount Gambia. The email is ourtown at skyews dot com dot au. Quick break, a bit more from me about Elon Musk before we're done, and then the late debate. Now we all know how close Elon Musk, the world's richest man is, or was was too the most powerful man in the world, Donald Trump. Now we know that, of course, doge all the rest of it. When Tesla's were being blown up because you know, tolerance, the President was out there on the White House lawn saying, you know you got to buy the ev You know by now that all didn't last because surprise, it was never going to last. Well, Elon Musk has been blowing a gasket about the big beautiful bill that did pass and has now been signed into law. He has now also said that he's going to launch his own political party, essentially to be more mega than MAGA, more pure than maga. Donald Trump, when asked about all of this, well, tried to hit it out of the park.
Speaker 18: I think it's ridiculous to start of third party. We have a tremendous success with the Republican foting. The Democrats have lost their way, but it's always been at your party system, and I don't think exciting a third party just hands to confusion.
Speaker 1: The problem is, of course, the American system is not like the Australian system, where currently there's four hundred and twenty eight people that will be running for the Senate at any one time. The reality is it is a first past the post system, and generally speaking, in what is close to fifty fifty, if one percent of one of those fifties doesn't turn up, well, then guess what the other guys end up winning. That's the way it works. Whether it should or shouldn't, that's their system. But just to prove this point to you about why you should not be dismissive of anyone who is saying that they want to try to take one percent off the fifty percent, that is half of the electorate. Have a look at the state of Pennsylvania. This was in the twenty and sixteen presidential election in that there was a third party and the difference was only the best part of fifty thousand votes. The third party person one hundred and forty six thousand votes. Yes, it was a libertarian, and they may well have ended up with Trump, but you get my point. When it was a two horse race, Biden ended up winning that one, of course, because he was so popular, wasn't he I don't want to get canceled three point four median votes to Trump's three point three. And then in the twenty twenty four election, where there was a much bigger margin between Trump and Harris, there was a third party at a fourth party as well. So if Trump, even if Moscow only gets fifty thousand votes, there's fifty thousand votes could be the difference between winning and losing. Hence why you don't laugh about it or in a second