Speaker 1: We've closed.
Speaker 2: Are you ready? Okay?
Speaker 1: Great?
Speaker 3: If you're anything like me, sometimes you'll look at your list of regular podcasts and think I hate all these shows except the Front. Of course, when that happens to me, I turn for advice to Kristen Amiot, who sits next to me at work and is the producer of the Front. She also happens to be a bona fide podcast expert. She writes our podcast a review column in The Australian every Saturday, and today she joins me to talk about the best podcasts of twenty twenty four and the best of all time. What were the big trends do you think in podcasting in twenty twenty four?
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty four was the year that podcasts really emerged as a bona fide political force. I think that's significant because podcasts pop culture adjacency, I think has caused them to be discounted by traditional media, but also to be lumped in with social media in the sense that there was a belief for a very long time that anybody could whack on a voice memo and call it a podcast. We do know that podcasts are an incredibly intimate medium. You're quite literally in people's ears. You're with them while they're gardening or cooking or doing the school drop off. And we know that people retain and comprehend information differently, not necessarily better, but differently when they listen to a podcast. All of those things are the reason that we saw podcasts in particular have such a significant impact or presence in the recent US election. We saw Donald Trump on Joe Rogan's podcast, which has been and still is one of the biggest podcasts in the world.
Speaker 4: All right for Roland, here we go.
Speaker 1: We saw Kamla Harris appear on Alex Cooper's podcast, called Her Daddy, Daddy, Madam Vice President Alex welcome to call her daddy. It is good to be with you. And that has perpetuated a really interesting conversation I think about who gets to be in the media, who gets to participate in politics, and curiosity around why these particular titles resonate with such a huge number of people to the point where they are arguably having an impact on the democratic process.
Speaker 3: In the evolution from radio to podcasting, it seemed like everything was going to be a bit more intentional. You know, you've made the choice to click on a podcast rather than the radio just kind of wittering on in the background.
Speaker 1: It would be that.
Speaker 3: We were all choosing to listen to things that were created just for us, and it was full of great content. In fact, I think the Joe Rogan influence has been that some podcasts are very bloated. You know, there's a lot of just chit chat, particularly in some of the famous Australian podcasts hosted by women.
Speaker 1: I must say it's filler in your Labia Majora.
Speaker 3: They just put where they're kind of talking about their vaginas for an hour and a half.
Speaker 1: And it's to rejuvenate the.
Speaker 3: Vulva without I would think any kind of journalistic imperative.
Speaker 1: So that's intriguing, isn't it.
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 3: Is it sort of comfort food for the audience?
Speaker 1: I think. So there's something that people say about podcasts and about their particular effectiveness and their ability to engage people, which is that a lot of people listen, as I said, when they're gardening, cooking, cleaning, and they say, that's because you've got busy, hands free mind. Television, I think is going through a similar moment in that there is the rise of something called ambient TV, which is you know your Emily empois you pop it on, you can look and scroll on your phone for three hours and still not miss a single thing that happens in that show. So perhaps that's what people are kind of engaging in, is feeling maybe less alone, feeling like you have company. And maybe it's not the way that they're talking about it, or even what they're talking about. It's just having a voice that you relate to, that is there playing while you are going about your life.
Speaker 3: That has now become so ubiquitous that now there's a trend for not doing that. Dudes on planes doing what they call raw dogging, which is just kind of staring at the seat in front of you. And while hot girl walk was an earlier TikTok trend, now there's a trend to be a hot girl out for a walk, not listening to a podcast.
Speaker 4: I've started going on what I call silent walks, and that's basically where I go for a walk. I'm listening to my surroundings and I'm not constantly listening to a podcast or music or on a call with someone.
Speaker 1: As a person who if I'm not working on a podcast, I'm listening to a podcast, and when I finished listening to a podcast I'm writing about a podcast that sounds like my nightmare. I'm one of the people who love to have something playing when I'm just living life.
Speaker 3: I would love to just get into the ambient ones, but I find myself listening to ones that I feel are going to improve me in some way about history or cooking or whatever, and I'm constantly hitting the fifteen seconds back button.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, you're kind of having the audiobook experience.
Speaker 3: It always amazes me with say, our audience for the Bromwin podcast, which we've both worked on, Headley Thomas's investigation into a missing woman, how many people tell us that they listen while they're falling asleep because Headley's voice is kind of soothing. But yet they're also paying a lot of attention to the detail, aren't I.
Speaker 1: We have a Facebook group where there's I think now over twenty two thousand people, and the questions that people are asking in there, We've had moments where we've gone, oh, actually, that's a really amazing observation and yes, in the same breath saying oh, I heard this while I was listening to it on the third go as I was falling asleep. It's maybe that unique ability of podcasts to create this community and for people to feel like they're participating in it when they are just relaxing and going to sleep. But I did have a funny conversation with Headley recently where he had observed that people say this to him, that he puts them to sleep, and he was having a night where he was struggling to get to sleep himself, and so I thought, I'll listen to this edit that's come in from our brilliant engineer, A Slade Gibson, and he said I was out like a light in about five minutes. So there's something to it if even Headley is putting himself to sleep.
Speaker 3: Coming up the podcast power player who's got big ambitions in old school media. Kristen, You've listened to an awful lot of podcasts in your life and in twenty twenty four. So I'm going to go through some of the big categories and I'm going to ask you what's your best ever and what's the best of twenty twenty thought.
Speaker 1: Let's start with true crime.
Speaker 3: This statement is as best as I can remember. One of the best I've ever listened to is sweet Bobby.
Speaker 2: This story the one that you're about to hear. Thank you, it's a love story.
Speaker 3: I meant it from the bottom of my heart. That was Tortoise Media's investigation into what had happened to a young english woman when a romance had apparently gone really badly wrong. The twists and turns in that one were absolutely amazing. I won't ruin it for the audience, but it took you to places that we didn't expect to go. Tortoise Media is quite remarkable, aren't they.
Speaker 1: They are. They're really emerged as a power player in podcasts, and yes, I would rank Sweet Bobby as probably my favorite true crime podcast of all time. As you said, their ability to take you on this journey and to do it really sensitively, I think, and that's a big part of the evolution that I think has gone on in podcasts over the last decade or so. Is at first, particularly in true crime, it was a little bit salacious. Now it's a lot more victim centric and it's a lot more considerate of the experiences that people have had and the people around them as well. Tortois Media has this year been in negotiations to buy The Observer newspaper from the Guardian. That's been something that staff of both The Guardian and The Observer have objected to really wildly.
Speaker 3: It's a really interesting example of new media consuming the old, isn't it, and the new power structure emerging.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I suppose for us here we've gone the other way, as many other publishers have in terms of incorporating audio into an existing ecosystem which started with print then moved to digital. But yes, watching it go back the other way and seeing journalists in particular engage in that conversation about why it's a good idea or a bad idea is really interesting. One to queen of domestic violence claiming that she's a victim of violence is the biggest options does a violent predatory one tortise series that we both listened to and that we have discussed at length in the office. Here is who trolled Amber.
Speaker 2: The scale of the attacks was staggering. Between twenty sixteen and twenty twenty two, more than eight hundred thousand tweets were posted with the hashtag amberhard is an abuser Only.
Speaker 1: It's another six episode series hosted by Alexi Mostros, who was the host of Sweet Bobby and the journalists who investigated that it was about the highly publicized court case between Amber Heard and her ex husband Johnny Depp.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What I loved about who trolled Amber was that it ignored the historyonics of the court case and did real journalism about what was happening around that court case, in particular why Amber Heard was being bombarded with huge volume of hatred on social media and everything she said was being amplified in a negative way. They came up with some quite terrifying conclusions and it.
Speaker 1: Did feel a lot like Sweet Bobby in that way, a completely different story, completely different circumstances. I wrote in my review for the paper that wherever you think you know this story is going, you could not be more wrong. Where it actually lands is miles away from where it begins, and it's done in that same really careful, considered way.
Speaker 3: Okay, Another category is lifestyle. My husband, like a lot of men, is absolutely obsessed with car Talk and American podcast with two Italian American guys talking about cars.
Speaker 1: Hello on a log with the Car Talk from National Public Radio with us click and clack the tap. That was a pretty Hello, robust, wouldn't you say? Robust?
Speaker 3: More?
Speaker 1: Than robust a week.
Speaker 3: One of them has been dead for several years, but he still listens to the back catalog.
Speaker 1: But this car has a carburetor. Yes, it has a carburetor. Yes, you have carburetor icing an operator as yeah, and it's caused by a mixture of cool air.
Speaker 3: I can highly recommend it for the men of a certain age out there.
Speaker 1: What about you?
Speaker 3: What was your best lifestyle podcast ever?
Speaker 1: And maybe off twenty twenty four? My favorite lifestyle podcast ever is Maintenance Phase by Michael Hobbs who is a journalist and Aubrey Gordon who is a blogger. And what they do is debunk what they call junk science and quote unquote legitimate science.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what all I ever want to drink when we're recording is like phizzy things. And it's the worst idea I know, because you're phizzy. Each week, one of them will pick a topic, or they might pick a particular diet book or just a concept that's been in the culture for a long time. One of their very early episodes was about snake oil and how that transitioned from being a legitimate Eastern medicine to something that we used to describe somebody who's a little bit dodgy. Their ability to research and to synthesize and explain in an entertaining, funny and succinct way is I think, really engaging.
Speaker 3: That reminds me of an Australian one that I love called do You Fucking Mind? Hosted by Alexis Fernandez. I think I've tried to get you to listen to this numerous times. I think you're too busy with maintenance face. But Alexis Fernandez is a young Australian woman who went and did a neuroscience degree because she was intrigued by how the brain works. So each episode is a combination of brain facts, how the brain works, and then her incredibly foul mouthed but very clever and very entertaining take on relationship issues, you know, whether it's how to deal with toxic parents in law, and there's something about her generation's fluency in the language of mental health and the fact that they're dealing with the problems that everybody throughout him history has dealt with. I'm loving hearing all of this from a woman in her twenties perspective, although I must say whenever it comes on in my car. My children object to the swearing in the title, so you've it's something to be aware of. Okay, what about comedy and humor. Something that I love is no such thing as a fish. It is from the British television store QI. If you haven't seen it, it's a panel show. On that show, they have QI elves.
Speaker 1: They are the researchers and so four of them come together and they bring their favorite fact. It can be about absolutely anything, and as the show has gone on, they've got more and more obscure. And of course there's no such thing as a fish is one of the first facts that were surfaced in this series way back when Comy Bush. So we're measuring by the number of items sold rather than by the value. And VW sells more sausages than cars. So they come to Australia and they sell out the Sydney Opera House. That is how popular this is. And you do learn things. I find myself constantly saying, oh I heard this on an episode of No such Thing as a Fish? That did you know? Blah blah blah. It makes me really good at pub trivia if nothing else. And if you've got kids in the car, probably fine for them to listen to as well. Kristin, thank you very much. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Kristin Amiot is producer of the Front and she's The Australian's podcast reviewer. You can read her column every weekend in our review section and check out all the country's best arts and entertainment journalism anytime at the Australian dot com dot au slash review. Thanks for listening to the Front. Our team is Kristin Amiot, Lea Samaglue, Tiffany Dimac, Joshua Burton, Stephanie Coombs and Jasper Leek.