Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health. If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, well, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctyesmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. This is Healthy Heir with Amelia Phillips and welcome to this month's Ask Me Anything episode, where you get to answer all your fabulous questions that you've sent me in. I've got a real range of questions today, from getting to the bottom.
Speaker 2: Of why you're so tired.
Speaker 1: That's a very common question that I hear to supplement interactions, you know, when it comes to taking multiple supplements, which ones compete with each other or block absorption all the way through to protein and how we can get more protein in our.
Speaker 2: Diet but for less calories.
Speaker 1: So before I dive into those questions, little bit of a life update from me. I mean, we are really just rocking and rolling into the year. We're into term two for school, and recently I did my big annual blood tests, which is basically the same panel that I run with my inner vitality members over fifty five key biomarkers, and I do it on myself once or sometimes twice a year. And you know, looking at these results that came in the other day, it just reminds me how useful and important they are, and looking at them through an optimal life lens, not just through a disease diagnosis lens, which is often how regular GPS will view them. And there's nothing wrong with that, but I want to feel optimal. I'm not just trying to diagnose a disease. I'm trying to optimize my health. Really interesting for me personally, there are a few declining markers in this test mainly around my nutrient levels, So my iron levels have dropped. My vitamin D had dropped, which is so surprising. It was down to I think it was seventy eight animals per liter, and back in November when I had it tested, it was around one hundred and ten. So it just goes to show that even though it's still you know, sunny and warm, I haven't been getting as much sun. Haven't been supplementing either over summer, and so that's just been a real reminder for me. All Right, I've dropped below that optimal eighty mark, and so I will be supplementing throughout winter now. With my vitamin D. My iodne had dropped quite significantly, and so had my magnesium. Interestingly, this time with magnesium, I actually had two magnesium tests. I had the regular magnesium that most of us get in our bone health markers, but I actually went and got a second, more novel magnesium test, which is called the RBC magnesium or red blood cell magnesium. Unfortunately, those results aren't in yet. On the RBC they take a bit longer, so I'll have to report back next month to see a what those levels are and b how they compared to my regular serum magnesium. I'm curious to see if they were around the same or if they had very different outcomes. But I could feel all of these markers just being a little subpar. I was just noticing I was getting extra tired and just feeling like I wasn't able to push through. In this last month, I've been fine, It's just been more of a subtle tea. So now I'm really clear, I know exactly what I need to do. I'm going to supplement with iron just to get because they'd dropped really low into the twenties. So I am going to supplement with iron for the next month or two, and then I'll focus mostly on nutrients iodine. I'll mostly focus on more seaweed. I love those seaweed snacks. Usually a packet of those a day gets my levels right up. But I do actually have an iodron spray as well that I might use for the next month, and then I'll switch over to the seaweed and then magnesium. I better get back on it because I haven't been supplementing with that lately.
Speaker 2: So there we go. You know, I.
Speaker 1: Feel like I've got a really clear outcome of what I need to do with each of those. But I do encourage you to get these more comprehensive biomarket tests done at least once a year so that you can be really clear on where you need to focus, especially if you're feeling quite tired or you feel like your immune systems a bit compromised. Which is a great segue into our first question of the day from the lovely Marina Owen, who sent me this question over DM on Instagram. Why am I tired all the time? I'm not lazy, I'm not unmotivated, genuinely bone deep tired and fatigued. I'm in my late forties. What is actually going on? Old Marina? You me at times and so so many others, and it just feels awful when you wake up in the morning and you literally don't know if you're going to be able to get through showering, blow drying your hair, putting your makeup on, let alone getting through the whole day.
Speaker 2: I have felt like that before.
Speaker 1: So obviously I don't know you, I can't see you. This is not a console, but I'd love to give you a framework, which I actually spoke about on another podcast recently that I think landed quite well. So I'm going to reiterate this framework with you, which is a really great troubleshooter for just recognizing where this fatigue could be coming from. So I want you to imagine a Then diagram, So that is three circles that are squished closely together, so they're all overlapping in the middle, and you know you've got that lovely sweet spot in the middle where all the three circles into play.
Speaker 2: And that is our zone of energy. Think of that that.
Speaker 1: If you've got things perfectly balanced and the Ven diagram sitting there, you are in that optimal energy. Now in each of the three circles, one of the circles is your biology, the second circle is your physiology, and the third circle is your psychology. So let's drill down into these now. If we have the three of these functioning really well, your energy levels will be fantastic, okay. But if we have one or two or parts of them that are subpar or not performing, that's where we see the Ven diagram. That's where we see the circle kind of move away and we don't get that lovely interaction in the middle. So let's start with the first circle, which is your biology. So I want you to think about this is all the tricket systems that are interplaying in your body.
Speaker 2: And there's four.
Speaker 1: Key pillars of health that we can talk about in this biology, which is your metabolic health, your hormone health, your gut health, and your inflammatory response. Now, each of those four pillars of health are so so important when it comes to energy levels.
Speaker 2: So a super quick overview.
Speaker 1: Your metabolic health is essentially where you get your energy from and your body's energy balance. So how effectively you are using glucose and fat for energy, how efficiently you are at switching between burning glucose and fat. That's where we see things like insulin resistance type two diabetes. You know, we hear people saying, oh, my metabolism's declining or slowing down as I'm aging. There's a little bit of truth to that, but not as much as we think. So metabolic health is really and think of it in very you know, simple terms. It's kind of your ability to manage your weight as well. All of these I'm talking about in this ven diagram are all testable and that's why I, you know, I love doing those tests For example that I mentioned above, So metabolic health, hormone health pretty self explanatory. We often jump straight to the sex hormones and perimenopause, but in that hormone health, there's other hormones at play as well, such as our thyroid function. You know, if these aren't either well managed or if we are going through you know, an adjustment period such as perimenopause, then that can really zap our energy levels. And so we need to look at what we can do to make sure that hormone health is optimized, that we've got some kind of strategy in place for that. The third pillar in this first circle of biology is your gut health. Okay, so if you are sitting here with lots of gut issues, whether it be constipation, diarrhea, combination of both ibs, you know, lots of food insensitivities, you just feel like your gut and digestive function has changed, that's going to zap your energy. And then the final one was your inflammatory response. So these are your inflammation levels and whether you are a bit tuned up from an inflammation perspective. And again there's really clear tests where you can see whether you are carrying some chronic inflammation and if you are, that will really zap your energy.
Speaker 2: So that's then diagram number one.
Speaker 1: That's the biology going on, and all of those systems into play and interact with each other, but we want to make sure that they're all optimized. And it's not as hard as it sounds.
Speaker 2: It's literally that.
Speaker 1: You know, the test that I actually just did measures pretty much everything there except does a few gut health ones, but it's not a full gut analysis.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So then we move to then diagram circle number two, which is your physiology. So this is the physical structure, so bone, muscle, fat, it's basically your body composition. You know, we are going to be here a long time. Most of my beautiful listeners are otherwise very healthy. We're going to be living well in tel our eighties, nineties, maybe even getting to triple digits. So this earth suit of ours, this amazing physical body of ours, it has to last a very long time. So if our bone density is declining so osteopenia or osteoporosis, if we are under muscled, or if we are carrying excess body fat, that is all going to zap our energy, especially as we age. Bone density not so much you're not going to notice that. It's not going to change your energy levels today, but it certainly will later on in life, especially when you get into that pre frailty and frailty age bracket and risk of falls go up. But certainly being under muscled or carrying excess body fat is really going to zap your energy. So in that circle you want to have a think. You know, is my body composition about where it needs to be. Ideally body fat percentage between eighteen and thirty three percent. You know we're carrying more than about forty kilos of lean muscle tissue on us. A DEXA scan will tell you where you sit with that. If your physiology is sitting in that rough range, then that's a good thing, okay. And fitness level comes into that as well. If you've got a nice high fitness level, that plays into that body composition. And then finally, the third ven diagram is your psychology. Of course, if you are suffering from any mental health conditions depression, anxiety, stress, PTSD, but not just emotional health.
Speaker 2: Also in this psychology.
Speaker 1: Bucket is your ability to change your behavior or behavior change strategies, because if you are feeling motivated, optimistic, you've got some really great techniques for improving your habits and changing some of those tricky behaviors. I kind of put that in the psychology bucket as well.
Speaker 2: So Marina, in.
Speaker 1: A nutshell, if you imagine those three circles, your biology with those four levers that we pull, metabolic hormone, gut inflammatory in the first circle, your physiology so bone muscle fat in the second circle, and your psychology, your emotional health, but also your ability to change your behaviors and take action. They are the key areas that are going to optimize your energy levels. So you can literally drill down into each one and see if each of those are subpart and then of course you layer on the behavior change that's needed. So that's things like good quality sleep. You know, in the podcast that I did, we really workshopped with one of the beautiful hosts, you know, what was going on for her, and after you know, lots of great discussion, she then pipes up that she's sleeping around four hours a night and we all had a table flip moment going, well, clearly, that's where you need to start, and that I put in the psychology bucket because that's around behavior change. And even chatting to her, she's quite resistant to do that because she just said she started this business, she's got just too much time on her hands, and so that's where it's like, well, that is a change that she needs to decide the risk and benefit ratio and what's more important to her. So, Marina, I hope that helps you sit down and really start to pull apart what of those three areas might be lagging for you and just pick one area to focus on first and then go from there.
Speaker 3: I hope that helps.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, well, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the target action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with dottsmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted?
Speaker 2: What's really causing my stubborn weight?
Speaker 1: Am I inflamed, insulin resistant or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. Okay, Question number two from Catherine Beaumont over email. Hi, Catherine, I'm taking quite a few supplements, including vitamin d Amega three, iron and magnesium. Can I take them all together or do some of them interfere with others? That is such a great question, and it is also one that I don't think we talk about enough because yes, there are lots of interactions to be aware of, So iron is the big one here. Iron can be a bit of a doozy. It competes for absorption and it can block the absorption of other nutrients as well. So, for example, if you're taking an iron supplement, you want to make sure you're avoiding taking calcium, magnesium or zinc around your iron supplement. In fact, I just recommend I find it more practical to think of when you take your iron supplement to just take it one hour at least outside of your meals and anything else. And you also don't want to take it when you're having caffeine as well. So for example, I'd love you to take it first thing in the morning, and often you'll find it's like really well absorbed by the gut because your tummy's empty.
Speaker 2: You take it with a lot of water.
Speaker 1: But a lot of people have caffeine, so if you are going to take it first thing in the morning, you would want to wait at least an hour for you had your caffeine. For me, personally, I just take my iron usually in the afternoon, kind of when I get home from work and when I'm starting to mince around the kitchen, I know I'm not going to eat for an hour. Then I will take my iron supplement in the afternoon. That's the main one. But then I would also say that magnesium, so it's the minerals that tend to have the most interactions, so iron's and mineral magnesiums and mineral magnesium interacts with iron, zinc and calcium, so you don't want to be taking any iron, zinc or calcium when you're having your magnesium supplement. Vitamin D and amiga threes are a little bit less tricky, and you can take those with food, and they're both fat soluble, so actually want to take them with food that has a little bit of fat in it. It will help them absorb better, and you can take those together. So to make it a little bit more practical, let me kind of give you a bit of a supplement day.
Speaker 2: On a plate.
Speaker 1: I would suggest that in the morning you have your vitamin D and your Omega three. Now I prefer a vitamin D spray that you spray under the tongue, and D three plus K two is a much better combination to have, especially if you've got some high blood pressure or high cholesterol.
Speaker 2: Just helps with the.
Speaker 1: Absorbability of the vitamin D. So take it in the morning, take it before breakfast. I actually prefer to take the Omega three right before you eat, because that way the fishy capsule gets digested first, and then it's got food over the top, so much less inclined to have a fishy burp. If you take your omega three supplement at the end of a meal as the last thing, then you know it's sitting there at the top of your tummy, and so you're more inclined to get those fishy burps. So Mega three vitamin D in the morning, get those out of the way, then you've got that kind of one hour outside of your meal. So maybe mid morning you take your iron, or like I say, mid afternoon is when I tend to do it, kind of an hour or so before I eat, and then you've got your magnesium after dinner in the evening. And I find that because that's going to help with relaxation, with sleep, with recovery. So with the supplements that you just mentioned, that would be the approach. I hope that helps you, Catherine. And look, a lot of those other nutrient based you know, vitamins for example, lots of those you can have with food, so I wouldn't worry so much about that. Oh went, Just finally, one other tip, Catherine, before I move on to the next question. Iron and vitamin C work really well together. So vitamin C helps with the absorbability of iron. So feel free to have your vitamin C supplement or an orange or a mandarin or some food that's high in vitamin C when you do have your iron supplement. So vitamin C and iron do go well together. I didn't want to forget that little tip. Okay, moving on to question number three, Leslie Bayer sent me a DM over Instagram. I am trying to increase my protein intake you and everyone else, Leslie, me too, but I don't want to overdo my total calories. How can I get more protein for less calories?
Speaker 2: Great question and also.
Speaker 1: Something I've been a little bit concerned with in this recent protein boom that we're seeing. And not that I have anything against it, because I do find that eating more protein really helps with satiation, helps with hanging onto that lean muscle mass through muscle protein synthesis. So I'm a big fan. But yes, if you're not strategic about where you're getting your protein from, you can accidentally drive your total energy, your total calories per day up, and you might find that you're gaining more than just muscle. And we don't want that in an ideal world. Most of us want more muscle and less fat.
Speaker 2: So how do we do that? Well, I am going.
Speaker 1: To list out the best what we call calorie cost protein. So these are the foods that have the lowest calorie cost per twenty grounds of protein. And so you want to have these foods I'm about to read out on repeat, because you will be driving up that protein intake without driving up the calories too. Far. So I'm going to list them out from kind of lowest calorie cost, which is a good thing, to highest calorie cost, and I've thrown in peanut butter at the end just as a fun comparison.
Speaker 2: Okay, So d.
Speaker 1: NA the first one on the list that has the lowest calorie, so coming in at around one hundred to one hundred and twenty calories per twenty to thirty grounds of protein is way protein isolate WPI, so protein powder. So if you have a protein powder and you just add that scoop that has twenty to thirty grounds of protein in it to water and have it, then you'll be getting around one hundred and twenty one hundred to one hundred and twenty calories, which is very low for the twenty to thirty grounds of protein. So if you are trying to increase your protein take, it's very hard to do it without a protein powder. And I'm a big fan of that. So WPI is that first cab off the rank. The second one is egg whites. Notice I've not said whole eggs.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I love whole eggs.
Speaker 1: Egg yolks contain so many amazing nutrients, so I don't want you to remove the egg yolk. Have at least one egg yolk. But what you can do, say you're doing an omelet or some scrambled eggs, you might do one full egg, but then you'll add in a couple of egg whites because egg whites come in the same as WPI, So one hundred calories per twenty grams of protein, which is amazing, and I think you're looking at around six to seven grams of protein per egg, so they're actually not that high in protein when you think about most of us will just have one egg for breakfast. Now you're only getting about seven. And then you know, add a tiny bit of protein from the toast. You know, ten grounds of proteins, so an egg on toast won't cut it. But certainly you know, one whole egg, three egg whites in a scrambled eggs. Suddenly you're up there now. So egg whites is the next off the list. The next down the list, sitting at the same one hundred to one hundred and ten calories per twenty grams is your or your white fish barre, Munday, cod hokey, all those lean white fish. That's why we'll see a lot of white fish on the menu. That's a great one at the same level one hundred to two hundred and ten calories per twenty grams of protein is tuna in spring water, and I just find this a great one.
Speaker 2: I will usually mix it with.
Speaker 1: A giant dollop of cottage cheese or rocotta, and I'll make I call it a protein anchor, you know, and I'll pop that in a bowl with salad and some healthy nuts as well. I love, you know, tuna, and spring water on its own isn't very tasty, but as soon as you add that, you know, cottage cheese or feta or something that's just got a little bit more flavor in it, then it suddenly becomes bearable. And how easy, no cooking required. Okay, The next one on the list is such a great hack, and that is prawns.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I love prawns, but I never think to buy them midweek until I started to buy frozen prawns and I just realized that you can throw them into anything, you know, into your stir fries. You can sautee them with like really yummy you know, teriarchy or lemon, ginger, garlic. So prawns are great, so versatile. One hundred and five to one hundred and fifteen calories, so they're all around this same level pretty much for the way protein WPI, egg whites, whitefish, tune up, prawns, and my next one on the list is chicken breast. They're all around that same level. So there's a lot there. Okay, then slightly higher calorie costs but still really good. Is your low fat greek yogurt, So that comes in at around one hundred and ten to one hundred and thirty calories, so around extra thirty calories per twenty grams. But again I mean going back to my example, you know, mixing tuna with a low fat greek yogurt and some lemon and cracked pepper, really yummy, and then just scooping it into some lettuce cups. How easy, and then lean beef. So you're looking at one hundred and forty two hundred and sixty calories per twenty grams. O case, you're getting up there, but still obviously very good, especially for our low iron peeps. But I just wanted to throw in as a comparison peanut butter. Okay, So this is a great example. So if you wanted to get twenty grams of protein through peanut butter. You would have to consume four hundred calories worth of peanut butter. Wow, Like we've just been talking around one hundred calories, so four times as many calories.
Speaker 2: That's why. You know, if you're.
Speaker 1: Out buying smoothies or wanting to make some more treat style protein balls or something like that, you know, if it's a peanut butter based one, just be very aware that there's a high calorie cost to get to the protein level of peanut butter. It's not to say a tablespoon here or there won't hurt you at our absolutely won't. But I think that's a really interesting comparison.
Speaker 2: So there we go.
Speaker 1: Awesome questions as always, all the way from fatigue to supplements to protein. I could talk about these all day. I hope you find it interesting. I find it really really fascinating. And I wonder, out of all of those protein sources that I just listed out, how many you have in your fridge and maybe how many you can go and try.
Speaker 2: I challenge you to try.
Speaker 1: The prawns out, prawns, champagne wasters. Ah, yes, please, Thanks so much for listening, and I will see you back in the booth very soon. Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been I'm told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off.
Speaker 2: We're not imagining it.
Speaker 1: That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Dottyasmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more