Phil Spencer: Welcome to Mortgage Insider from Barclays, the one- stop shop for mortgage brokers and all you need to know about the property industry. I'm Phil Spencer, property expert and TV presenter. And today, we're going to be talking about a hotly debated topic, and one that's very close to my own heart, the home buying process. Believe it or not, the UK has the slowest timeline for moving house amongst 12 of the world's most developed countries, around one in three deals fall through. Anyway, I am joined today by two experts and it'll be interesting to see if they have similar perspectives on the topic. Justin Young, Justin is the CEO of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors or RICS, and Clare Beardmore. Clare is Director of L& G Mortgage Club. Welcome to you both. Great to have you on. To kick off with it, let's just start, where are we at the moment in terms of the house buying process? How long does it take on average to buy a house at the moment? Justin, I guess that's one for you.
Justin Young: Sure. So it's a complex process that's taking too long, that's for sure. And it currently is taking about on average, 120 days. And so, when we think that's the average, there's a lot of stuff that's taking longer than that and that in itself is a massive increase. Since 2007, that has gone up by 60%. So something is really getting in the way of this and it really is the detail of the process and when things happen sequentially and the fact that it takes so long.
Phil Spencer: It's a shame, isn't it? Because in today's world, the information is all available so much quicker, but we're not getting it through the process. So I've read recently that one and a half billion pounds a year is spent or lost in aborted transactions. And that affects 500, 000 people, one in three deals falling through. So we have got some real obstacles, haven't we?
Justin Young: We certainly have. And as you say, there is a lot of information available. It is there. It is actually getting hold of that information and I'm sure we'll come on to talk about methods by which we could digitize the entire process and really make it happen a lot more smoothly. But also as I was mentioning this piece about sequencing, if we can get things started earlier in the process, then actually we can then run things in parallel, so that it doesn't take so long.
Phil Spencer: Wouldn't that be a nice thing for us all? Clare, brokers, it's disappointing their clients. It's disappointing themselves, if they've got a re- broker, the whole mortgage again. And there are probably stories of people having to do that several times. So it's increasing their workload, it's affecting their bottom line. It's bad news for them as well.
Clare Beardmore: Yeah, absolutely. And if you think often, the broker is the person that deals directly with that customer, does all that hand- holding, is their support throughout the process. Not just to advise on a product or a rate, it's absolutely that handholding. So I've heard one really extreme example recently where a lady got a customer that they dealt with for a number of years, was actually on property number eight. So many properties had fallen through. Now I know that's quite extreme, but can you imagine the amount of wasted resource, the amount of wasted time, money, et cetera, to get them to still looking for a property on, fingers crossed, on number nine. So yes, plenty of wasted time and resource there.
Phil Spencer: So painful. And yet there are other parts of the world and even other parts of the United Kingdom, and I'm thinking Scotland, that have a different system. Whether that's more efficient or quicker, I'm not entirely sure, but it is there, isn't it? Should we just talk a little bit about the Scottish market and how that works Justin?
Justin Young: Yeah, very happy to do that. And it is absolutely quicker in Scotland. It's down to about 90 days- ish, so a much shorter process. Also the failure rate is much smaller as well, it's only about 11%. Whereas you compare that to the figure that you were saying Phil at a third, it's very, very stark different. So it does have a real impact. And the secret to what's happened in Scotland, is that they create the home report as it's called, and that is all created before the property is actually put on the market. So in that, it'll be the information that you'd want to have about that particular property. It might be the EPC ratings, it might be information around the property's condition, even evaluation of the property. And the important thing about doing the condition and the valuation piece is that it's done by a chartered surveyor. So a qualified professional who is able then to give you very clear indication of what you would need to do to the property if there were certain issues with it. Because certainly in England, we see of those failure rates that you were talking about, Phil, where the transactions don't go ahead, a third of those are to do with what is found in the survey. And so, if that's happening later on in the process, it's all too late by then, which is where you get that failure. So Scotland do it very well by having this home report which is there before the property goes on the market.
Phil Spencer: And are lenders prepared to accept a home report that's been commissioned by the vendor of the property?
Justin Young: Certainly from my point of view, probably Clare as much for you as well, certainly buyers are very happy to see that report because they know it's been done by an independent person. So that's why you need this chartered surveyor to do that part of the report.
Clare Beardmore: I was just going to add to that I think even if a lender chose to do an independent valuation for their own purposes after, I think to get that property on the market with a professional survey done, it would absolutely bringing sales through the channel quicker.
Phil Spencer: Okay. So arguably, it would take longer to get a property onto the market and it would actually cost somebody the cost of getting the home report done. But having got onto the market, then the buyers would be better informed or they take better decisions. That's the theory.
Justin Young: I would just say that. Yeah, that's absolutely true. So what we often find, and this is something that we would lose by going into this process, is that a number of people will put properties onto the market in a sort of speculative kind of way, just to see, okay, let's put our toe in the water. See will this property move at this current point in the market time of year, et cetera? So we would lose that, which in a way is a bit of a shame because that's a good part of the market that keeps things moving. But equally, what you do want is this fast process once something is on the market. So I think on balance, it's better to do all the stuff upfront because you need to be serious about selling a property if it's going to go on the market.
Phil Spencer: Yeah, it's about having better decisions, isn't it, at the end of the day? The buyers are more informed and make a decision that they're happy to stick with and not change their mind two months down the line when everyone's spent money and emotion and commitment, and then some other information comes to light.
Clare Beardmore: I would totally agree with that, Phil. I think it's flipping the process on its head at the moment. And if you look from a mortgage perspective, you get the person ready, you get the person mortgage ready. So you would've done credit checks, you would've done all of that, how would you get the property ready? So yes, you could lose some of those buyers and maybe speculative buyers, but what I think you would see is that huge increase around completions. You'd see that one in three hopefully decrease, and you would see that completion rate I think hopefully fill that loss of reactive buyers.
Justin Young: I think also what you'd see there is this sort of reduction in duplication of effort as well.
Clare Beardmore: Absolutely.
Justin Young: The amount of surveying, resurveying that's done, inspections and so on, and searches done time and time again, this is why things need to get done only once in a much more consistent process.
Phil Spencer: Clare, you make an interesting point there that I'd not thought of before. Actually if we're asking vendors to get themselves and their properties ready for sale, in actual fact as a broker, you're preparing your buyers-
Clare Beardmore: Absolutely.
Phil Spencer: ... to go out into the market. And so, there is a bit of give and take.
Clare Beardmore: Yes, definitely. I think a big push in the industry that hasn't been looked at in this home buyers and selling reform, is that earlier stage in the journey, how do you get that person as a mortgage broker, really mortgage ready, rather than go out, find the home they love and then realize that they can't afford it? How do you get that person ready? So credit checks done, affordability done. And I think just as importantly is the property, to get property ready as well and combine the two and I think you'd have a much higher success rate of driving away some of those inefficiencies.
Justin Young: And that's where we see some of that taking place in other countries where certainly somewhere like Australia where it's a highly digitized process. And when we look at countries like Australia, Estonia, Finland, the thing they all have going for them and they're really efficient processes is they are digitized. That's absolutely how things happen. So it's very quick. But in addition to that, in Australia, particularly in the auction space, if you do put in that bid for the house and you win it, the property, that is yours. It's a binding bid. And I think that's where we could potentially move to that would stop the buyer sort of getting cold feet, et cetera. As Clare is saying, get the buyers absolutely ready so they know what they can afford and how they can do it, and then have that lined up with the property preparedness as well.
Clare Beardmore: I think there's a lot of innovation going on in the mortgage market to get people mortgage ready. I think lots of innovation and different silos. And mortgage offers can be done within 24 hours, so that mortgage offer can be ready. And then it hits all of these checks coming out that really slow that process down. Is a mortgage market perfect? Absolutely not. But I think we have used innovation and automation to try and speed up some of those processes. Certainty, I think it's a really important word in this process.
Phil Spencer: Justin, you mentioned Australia. I've spent lots of time in Australia and I'm interested in that auction system. And it's always intrigued me that somebody could stand outside a house and they do actually have them on a Saturday morning on the street and everybody gathers around. It's a piece of theater, it's fantastic to watch. If somebody's putting their hand up and their hand up and their hand up and their hand up, I don't know where the banks come in to sort of ratify what someone's just put their hand up and bid. It's a conundrum to me because somebody could massively overpay and it's all done.
Justin Young: And I think that's the joy of the auction system, isn't it? If someone chooses to overpay for a property but they can afford it, well that's slightly on them, isn't it? And I think this is where the other piece would come in and where I see the success of this process in other countries, is that there's elements of regulation and legislation on it as well. So this point about the offer being binding, you are absolutely in that. If you ratchet up that auction price, you've got to go for it. So I think that holds people back to what they can afford because they know they will have to pay out for that if it goes their way.
Phil Spencer: Okay. Let's talk a bit about the reform. I don't know what stage it's got to. The consultation stage was announced back end of last year, I think it was. But there's been lots of talk about the upfront material information and that sounds exactly along the lines that we're all in agreement with. But can we talk where that stage has got to? Where are we at?
Justin Young: Yeah. So that process is still going on. We're gathering all the feedback across the industry, both from the financial perspective, also legal and from the property sphere as well. So bringing that information together, it's going to be some months of the analysis of that consultation before anything further happens. But I think it's been a really interesting consultation in that it contains certainly all this piece around upfront information and how that would be gathered. But it also talks about how we actually get estate agents, property agents into a space where they can really be delivering their best as well. And so, whether that's around light touch regulation, primarily through qualifications. So making sure that your high street estate agencies actually qualified to do the job they know they need to do, then that's all very helpful as well, and that's in the consultation. We see this as well looking for just to upskill the entire market. And this is why also this requirement for chartered surveyors in Scotland is also something that I think should be replicated in England. Of course, I would say that, wouldn't I, in my role at RICS? But we absolutely need the consumer, the buyers and also the sellers to be really comfortable that the people who are advising them are the real genuine professionals who know what they're doing.
Phil Spencer: There are a number of existing industry initiatives, aren't there? And there are several groups. I've spoken with people from the Digital Property Steering Group, from the Home Buying and Selling Council. I know a little bit about what (inaudible) are doing and I know that they've got backing of the land registry, which suggests government support. So some really good stuff happening, a lot of people pushing in the same direction. But how can we avoid a siloed approach? And what I guess I'm conscious of is, if all the changes aren't mandatory, then every firm in the process... It has to involve everybody or otherwise it doesn't work. Is that fair? Clare, have you got thoughts on that one?
Clare Beardmore: I have definitely. I absolutely think that's a really important factor that these points are made mandatory. If they're not and they're voluntary, do you get the same buy- in from everybody, and then does it work? Does it have that impact that it needs or some parts of the process more engaged, more invested than others? And I think that where it could start to fall away. So that investment, that bringing this together. How I see it, there's plenty of verticals, plenty of really good work potentially going on vertically, but horizontally. And this is where I see these groups really adding value, is they're the horizontal and they've got the power, if you like, with industry to really bring and connect those verticals. And then I think we'll really see progress. So communication, I think using technology is super important. How do we speed up the old processes? How do we move on from probably where we were 20 years ago and use data? I think that is really key, and AI technology to really drive this forward. And I absolutely believe it's buy- in and commitment and mandatory for all parties.
Justin Young: And I think that's really important point that you get the Digital Property Market Steering Group that you refer to, Phil. That's bringing together all the right people, whether it's professional bodies or companies themselves, members of government, officials within government, and so that we can get this full perspective across the sectors as well, whether it's property or finance, or whatever. Because some things that hold up transactions are things like the interaction with HMRC, for instance, just doing checks on are these people who they say they are. And Clare mentions the land registry. Critical to the future of this is digitizing the land registry. Now what a project that's going to be and that's not something I'd like to head up, but good luck to whoever does that. But that is vital and that is really going to accelerate what we can do.
Phil Spencer: I believe that's underway, the digitization of land registry, but as you say that's a big old project.
Justin Young: Yes.
Phil Spencer: Even if we've got collaboration from the different sectors, what is it that's going to be the hurdles or the stumbling block? Is it the capacity of technology? Is it legislation? Is it culture within the industry? People are used to working in their own way and doing their own things. What are the hurdles would you say?
Clare Beardmore: I think it is-
Phil Spencer: All of the above.
Clare Beardmore: Yes. Yes. But I feel that that is really crucial to the success of this. The governance of that, the security of all of that. Otherwise where will we be in 20 years time? We could be back to square one. So it's progress.
Justin Young: I would absolutely agree with that, Clare. I think that confidence in the data. It's really the main reason why the previous HIPS initiative really didn't work because of the lack of confidence there. I think from our own point of view, when I look at this from the Institution Chartered Surveyors point of view, we're really going to need a transition period to this. Because right now, there aren't enough qualified chartered surveyors to do all of the surveys and the transactions that we need to get done given the scale of the market. And if you think in 2025, they were just shy of, I think it was a million exchanges. That just gives you an idea of the size of the market. So we as a profession will need some time to ramp up, so that we have got enough qualified surveyors who can deliver this. And as I was saying about the agents as well, I think we need to give them time to make sure that they can, if necessary, get the right qualifications and demonstrate to their clients that they're absolutely at the top of their game as well.
Clare Beardmore: I was just going to say, I think it's not just from the surveying side that that could be... we do need some time and transitioning the conveyancing side of it as well. And the legal workers across the country, how can government drive recruitment there, drive training, drive support to really drive that forward? That's a huge part of the problem, the conveyancing side. So that can't just be sorted overnight. That needs time, it needs investment, it needs energy to sort that part of the process out too.
Phil Spencer: You mentioned home information packs. I can't remember the year that that came and went, but why did that fail? What happened, and what's going to be different this time?
Justin Young: From my point of view, it was questions over the real provenance of the data. So bearing in mind, this was a few years ago when actually the ability to get hold of data and the existence of data was not as good as it is today. So that was always a concern. And what that led to was a lot of rework being done, so you got this entire duplication because people were nervous about it. I think also at the time, was the government wholly behind what they were doing in terms of the information packs and so on? I think probably not necessarily. But all I see now is absolutely a real drive from the current government to get this home buying and selling process sorted out because it is costing so much money, as you said at the beginning, Phil, and it is a real issue for the public, the consumer. So it is something that the will is absolutely there because the need is there.
Phil Spencer: That's good to hear. Clare, in terms of brokers, brokers are listening to this, if there was one thing that you felt that they should know or that they should go and find out about to keep themselves ahead of the game. Because there are changes coming and they're going to be thick and fast. Well, they might not be fast, but there's going to be plenty of them. What should they be doing? Where should they go looking for information?
Clare Beardmore: I think there's so much information out there. It can actually be quite confusing the amount of information that is out there. So we've got an Association of Mortgage Intermediaries and they have responded to the consultation paper that came out. They are a source of really great information around what's going on. Use your network, your mortgage club. Read the press, there's so much positive news in the trade press as well. And I think you can find the information online, access it. One thing I do think we really need to be careful about is, there is so much information in the mortgage market about it at the moment, so we really need to make sure that that comes across really clear. Podcasts, webinars just like this, I think will really help.
Justin Young: And I would say from an RICS point of view, we have amounts of information on the RICS website, but also we're creating a specific home buyers and sellers hub. And we'll keep updating that particularly as results in the consultation come out and so on, or if we're seeing things go in a particular direction. So that will come out in a matter of weeks.
Phil Spencer: Well, great to hear your combined thoughts and it's actually a real of comfort to know that everyone is genuinely pushing in the same direction. There is proper collaboration across the different sectors. Let's get this sorted, goodness me. That was Justin Young, who's the CEO of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and Clare Beardmore, Director of L& G Mortgage Club. We're recording this on the 28th of January. The views expressed by myself and external guests are not necessarily the views of Barclays. But thanks for listening to Mortgage Insider. I'm Phil Spencer. Check out the show notes for more information on what we've been talking about, and hope to see you next time. Join us then.