Phil Spencer: Hello, this is Mortgage Insider from Barclays, the one- stop shop for mortgage brokers and everything that you need to know about the housing market. I'm Phil Spencer, property expert and sometime TV presenter. In this episode, we're looking specifically at Scotland. Whilst the housing market in England is showing signs of slowing down, many house sales in Scotland are attracting offers above the asking price. Obviously they have a different system there. So to find out more, I'm joined by Colleen Babcock, who's head of partner marketing and property expert at Rightmove and by someone who's traveled all the way from Glasgow this morning to join us. Lynne Peterkin. She's managing director at First Mortgage, one of the biggest brokerages in Scotland that also operates south of the border. So great to have you with us both. So Lynne, here we are right at the end of March. Can you talk to us for the benefit of those of us space in the south of England, about the headlines and things that you're seeing in the housing market in Scotland at the moment?
Lynne Peterkin: Yeah. So it's been a really strong start to Scotland this year. We had a very good run in 2025 and usually you'll see in quarter one lots of inquiries coming in, but not a lot of movement. But the property market's been really steady this first quarter of the year. Lots of demand, lots of first time buyers and home movers looking to move into the next home. But like everywhere else in the UK just now, there's a bit of an imbalance between demand and supply set in certain regions as well in Scotland.
Phil Spencer: Colleen, is that reflected in the data that you're seeing at Rightmove?
Colleen Babcock: Certainly what we're seeing is really consistent positive house growth. From all over Scotland, 2025 was really strong, 2% growth. And that's really interesting because Scotland has outperformed England and Wales. So the growth was only 0. 5% in house prices across the UK as a whole. So definitely something that we're seeing in the data.
Phil Spencer: And Lynne, how are your clients finding it actually on the ground of those who are active at the moment?
Lynne Peterkin: So we've got two types of clients. We've got the clients that are really eager to move straight away, saved all the deposit, wanting a city life and don't want to budge from a city life. Then we've got the other client who has been saving a deposit for ages, trying to get onto the property ladder, but are more open to looking outside of our typical cities to try and get onto the property market. Just like what Colleen said there, there is better buck for your money, if I could say it that way. And our surrounding areas outside of our top places, Edinburgh and Glasgow are our hotspots. So that's kind of what we're finding on the ground. A lot of people getting outbid as well.
Phil Spencer: People always search out value, don't they? Whatever stage of life, particularly, I always think first time buyers are brilliant at searching out value. But Colleen, I'm interested to know how the Scotland market compares with England and Wales at the moment.
Colleen Babcock: So it is outperforming. It's really down to the fact that you can find much cheaper property prices in Scotland and that's really underpinning the growth that we're seeing. And we're also seeing people finding a buyer much more quickly in Scotland. That's a general trend.
Phil Spencer: I did a bit of research into your own right move numbers and yes, Scotland was 40 days to find a buyer, whereas the UK was 74 days. That's a significant difference.
Colleen Babcock: It's really dramatic. And interestingly, in the first part of 2026, it's actually gone down by four days. So it's sped up considerably. If you're looking at the first time buyer market that Lynne has just mentioned there, it's actually two days less for those sellers of first time buyer properties to actually find a buyer successfully. So there's demand happening there in Scotland.
Phil Spencer: And what do we put that down to apart from the... It is more affordable, the point of entry is lower, but what else is making that distinction?
Lynne Peterkin: Yeah. I mean, I think a lot to do with the legal system, if I'm honest. So you've got the estate agents, the front end and the Scottish property market is quicker. Mortgage lenders are bringing offers out within 10 days, believe it or not. But in Scotland, we do have a bit of an advantage that when you have put an offering on your property and you sign missives is legally binding, whereas in England, you've got the Gazpin, somebody comes in and they 11th hour with cash, but in Scotland you're tied to it and then you're tied to signing those missives within a certain timeframe. So that really-
Phil Spencer: Speeds things up.
Lynne Peterkin: ... it just speeds it up.
Phil Spencer: You've also got the home report value as well, hasn't it? So that actually takes a cog out of the process, for want of a better word.
Lynne Peterkin: Yeah, Phil, and that's actually upfront, our customers see that. So when you are putting your house on the market in Scotland, then you have to produce... And that's on the seller. They have to produce the home buying report.
Phil Spencer: Which all lenders recognize.
Lynne Peterkin: Yeah, all lenders recognize. And within that home buying report is the property valuation and that's what is produced to the lender and that does speed up the process.
Phil Spencer: Massively.
Lynne Peterkin: Yep.
Phil Spencer: There was another statistic of note, I thought. Compared to five years prior to 2020, the demand from buyers from outside of Scotland's risen by 63%. I mean, Scotland's having a wonderful time. What do we put that down to?
Colleen Babcock: So that again is such an interesting trend that we found in our data at Rightmove and the biggest group that are actually looking from outside Scotland to move into Scotland is coming from London and the Southeast, which are also the most expensive regions at the moment. So that's again, people looking for that affordability with increased flexibility with working, people able to work from home or hybrid working that gives them the ability to choose where they want to live. And certainly when I've been speaking to agents in Scotland, they're telling me they are seeing that trend continuing.
Phil Spencer: But of course the hotspots, the obvious ones are Edinburgh and Glasgow, but there are many other brilliant places to live that have also been performing really well.
Lynne Peterkin: Yeah. So Glasgow and Edinburgh are hotspots, but we've got the Central Belt in Scotland. So you've got two corridors, you've got towards Glasgow, Falkirk, and then you've got towards Edinburgh, Fife, Kurkodi, and also in the Central Belt, we've got Motherwell, Lanarkshire area. Now all these areas are within 45 minutes commute. So what we're finding is, like I said earlier, one client wants the hustle and bustle of city life, Glasgow and Edinburgh, which is probably equivalent to London. And then we've got the other client that's looking for a wee bit more remote and more money at value for money and your typical Edinburgh property could be 250 grand for a two bedroom flat just for example. And out in Lanarkshire or indeed in Fife, you could be looking at a three bedroom property for about 170, 000. So there's a big difference and there's great commuting lines straight in and also with the hybrid working now and remote working, just what Colleen said there, we're actually finding ourself, we can actually reach more employees to join us in first mortgage from south of the border as well because we can do remote working. So I can see that's happening in the property market as well that people are thinking, let's move up to Scotland.
Phil Spencer: So you're seeing that as a brokerage, a lot of your customers are moving from the south.
Lynne Peterkin: So in our brokerage we have locations in Newcastle and Manchester. So they'll kind of tend to stay where they are, but we do see a lot of people that are maybe coming up to Edinburgh and they'll be moving from more so from Manchester. Actually we've seen a few of that moving into Edinburgh purely for work, but also they're moving just up a wee bit. I've not experienced it in London yet, but we have just opened a London branch so we might find that out.
Phil Spencer: On the topic of work, I was interested to hear your thoughts on the Highlands. I read that Inverness was Scotland's fastest growing city, which I presume was in terms of population, but would I be right in thinking that there is a lot of potential opportunity up there in the world of green energy and that as an industry is likely to expand and there's going to be a lot more employment.
Lynne Peterkin: Yeah, definitely. And we are actually new build experts as well and part of the new build growth in Scotland, again, different to the rest of the UK. There's a lot of new builds going to be happening in the next two years and Inverness and surrounding areas. So again, you still have that demand versus supply right now, but with the green energy and clean living, the jobs that that could create then hopefully with the new builds, the kind of speed of grains-
Phil Spencer: And people have got somewhere to live. They need somewhere to live.
Lynne Peterkin: Exactly.
Phil Spencer: Yeah. I mean, I love Scotland and all of our programs are actually made in Scotland.
Lynne Peterkin: Wow.
Phil Spencer: Both production companies that I work with are based in Glasgow. I love it as a country and I'd like to spend more time there. I'd like to do more work there. Our challenge from when we're firming location, rather than in the cities, it's particularly down that west coast or even getting up into the Highlands is there isn't enough properties for our research team to go and look at 25 or 30 so we can select three or four.
Lynne Peterkin: Yeah. And in Inverness in particular, it's quite a niche area. Yeah, there's not a lot of properties there at the moment, but it is definitely getting built out. Yep.
Phil Spencer: Well, that's perhaps where we've got the imbalance between supply and demand, and that is what is underpinning the activity in Scotland's market for the moment.
Colleen Babcock: Yes, certainly we can see that in the data for Inverness where there is a rise in the amount of demand year on year they're up 18% and yet listings are down. So there isn't the property available for the people who want to move there.
Phil Spencer: Is there anything else you could add from Rightmove's perspective or things that you're spotting in the Scottish data?
Colleen Babcock: Absolutely. I think in terms of what we're seeing, it does mirror this whole affordability trend again. So in Edinburgh, which is one of the more expensive markets, the average price there is around 315, 000 and you see a little smidge of growth in house prices year on year from Edinburgh, but demand from buyers a little bit lower. When you go to Glasgow, you see that house price is coming down. The average price is cheaper in Glasgow, so it's around 197,000 on average there. So you get more for your money. I'm told a lot by agents from Glasgow that schools, the local authority schools are really great in Glasgow. So people tend to think of the school fees as being wrapped into their mortgage. It's a really big draw in that particular area, but again, demand a little bit lower whereas actually Dundee where you're seeing lower prices on average, so 174,000 is getting stronger growth in terms of house prices and also in demand from buyers. So you're seeing that sort of wider trend around more affordable places, having better house price growth and more interest from buyers being mirrored within Scotland itself.
Phil Spencer: How are things in Aberdeen? I always think that's quite a sort of transient place. Is that fair?
Lynne Peterkin: Yeah. So again, we have branches in Aberdeen and the Aberdeen market kind of goes up and down with whatever's going on with the oil. At the moment, I would say that's not flat, but it's just steady in Aberdeen just now. And again, pockets of more for first time buyers looking for a one or two bedroom flat, they really are quite competitive. So if you want a three bedroom house, it's okay, but the one and two bedroom flats are the area where it's quite tough to get on the market. Can I just add on the Dundee part? That is a big talking point actually. Again, we have a couple of branches in Dundee and one thing our customers are starting to look at is like you said, Colleen, the schooling, but also the universities. So Dundee University has been getting quite a big Kenny talking point and that does attract customers coming in. So if they were maybe going towards Fife or even into Edinburgh, they might just think, well, that's like an hour and a half commute away. We can kind of move a bit further out and get, again, more value for their money.
Phil Spencer: Okay. Thank you. Good advice. Good to know. What's the situation with landlords in Scotland? Are they coming? Are they going? Where are we at?
Colleen Babcock: So landlord is one of the real areas of strength with Scotland at the moment and that's-
Phil Spencer: That wasn't the answer I was expecting. That's good.
Colleen Babcock: It is good. It's a great thing for the Scottish market. So one of the things we're seeing is we've got really strong yields happening in Scotland. So it's about 7. 8% at the end of 2025 compared to 6.3% for the rest of the UK so much stronger return. You've also got stronger house price growth. So that means better capital growth for landlords as well and a lower entry point to get into buying property in Scotland.
Phil Spencer: What about taxes?
Colleen Babcock: So taxes are actually the highest in Scotland compared to the rest of the UK. So you have your land business and transaction tax, which is the Scottish equivalent of stamp duty and on top of that you have an additional dwelling supplement of 8%.
Phil Spencer: So that's a second home or any kind of buy to lead?
Lynne Peterkin: Any property.
Phil Spencer: 8%. It's a big number.
Lynne Peterkin: Yeah. So again, from our customer point of view as well that we have to make sure they understand that. So they've got any property in the background, whether it's a buy to let, a second home, a holiday home, anything they own, they're going to have this additional dwelling tax.
Phil Spencer: But you're seeing buy to let customers now?
Lynne Peterkin: For first mortgage we see some buy to let customers, but we are more into the first time buyer home moving market, but we do have some of our longstanding customers who have decided to then go on and be a landlord and decide to let their property out. So we do see that, but the change in the additional dwelling tax does sometimes put some people off and they'll end up maybe selling it to their tenant that's actually living in it. We can see that as well.
Phil Spencer: But as Colleen said, lower point of entry.
Lynne Peterkin: Yeah, definitely.
Phil Spencer: It makes it more accessible to a wider number of people. And if the yields are good and the general house prices is rising, then it's an attractive proposition.
Lynne Peterkin: Definitely the yields increasing.
Phil Spencer: And we've also talked about there isn't enough houses in certain parts of Scotland, given the amount of employment that is there or is coming. Let's just have a little moment to reflect on or compare Southern England to Scotland. I'd be interested in your thoughts as to why there is a contrast and what's driving it.
Colleen Babcock: There were really big differences between what happened over the course of 2025 in England versus in Scotland. And generally speaking, if you plot out what happens with the property market on a line graph and nothing gets party started like a line graph, you see that really in England the highs are higher and the lows are lower, but actually in Scotland it's very much steady as she goes. It's reassuringly boring. That is absolutely a compliment, that is a great thing to have in a property market. People like certainty when they're making those decisions. And the reason over 2025 that we saw those higher highs and lower lows is because we had a stamp duty holiday that came to an end at the end of March in 2025 and particularly in the Southeastern London, buyers really kicked into gear at the end of 2024, beginning of 2025, really front loaded the year with activity. And then we saw a budget which came out late November, but we saw rumors circulating as early as August and that made people really uneasy about what was happening and we actually surveyed home movers and one in five said they actually put off their moving plans because of uncertainty around the budget. So we kind of had a year of two halves in England where you don't see that in Scotland. It was really steady. There wasn't a stamp duty holiday. There was a budget, which was in January of this year, but it was kind of at nothing to see here type of budget. So it didn't cause the kind of disruption that we saw in England.
Phil Spencer: Yeah. Steady as she goes. I like that.
Lynne Peterkin: Yeah, I like that.
Phil Spencer: Good old Scotland. More of the same, please.
Lynne Peterkin: Yeah, definitely.
Colleen Babcock: And there's also a really big difference in terms of supply and demand happening, particularly in the Southeastern London where we're seeing an 11 year high in the number of available homes for sale and we're seeing softer demand from buyers in those areas as well, particularly when you're comparing to that really strong start to 2025 that we saw. So it's really meaning that when you're selling a property in the south in particular, you have to be thinking really competitively about the price to find a buyer and that's not happening in Scotland at the moment. There's a lot more demand, there's a lot more activity happening in Scotland.
Lynne Peterkin: Yeah. And I'd actually say in Scotland, it's probably flipped that it's competitive as in how much over the home report can I get from my property? And in areas like Edinburgh, at least in Edinburgh actually, that's probably one of our biggest hotspots outside the city center. They were still offers over 5%. You've got 10 people going for the same property and that's just kind of whips up that not, I wouldn't say a frenzy, but the demand is definitely there.
Phil Spencer: It's fascinating, isn't it? I mean, it's what keeps us all doing what we do because every month is different.
Lynne Peterkin: Yeah, it is.
Phil Spencer: And the market is very polarized. So it frustrates me enormously when you read the headlines about the UK housing markets doing this. Well, that might be useful if you're an economist deciding policy, but actually as an individual or a broker involved in a particular market, it's pretty relevant. You've got to understand your market and the things that drive it.
Lynne Peterkin: Yeah, definitely. And actually what we say to any of our customers coming in, you always get asked the question, " Is now the time to buy?" And we always say, there's never a right time to buy, but if it's your budget, your affordability, and where you want to stay, then go for it because you can never second guess the market because you just go for it.
Phil Spencer: There's a lot more to it than just numbers. It's a roof over your head. It's your privacy. It's your sanctuary. It's your safety. It's where you have your loved ones and bring your children up.
Lynne Peterkin: Yeah, definitely.
Phil Spencer: And that's when it's time to do something, it's time to do something. Is there anything either of you would imagine that brokers would find helpful? If they're listening to this, sat in their offices, what's going through their mind? Anything else that you'd like to add to them?
Lynne Peterkin: For myself, being a broker myself, I would be saying to all brokers to get really early on the home buying process with their customers. I think now more than ever clients need advice, especially if they're trying to think about how to get on the property ladder, how to build a deposit, where can I live? If we can get to them before the step foot in the estate agent, we can really educate them. So that's probably my takeaway for any broker is get on that nurture journey early with your customers.
Phil Spencer: Yeah. Stay in touch, build that relationship.
Lynne Peterkin: Yeah, definitely.
Phil Spencer: Colleen, any thoughts from you on that one, brokers?
Colleen Babcock: Well, Lynne and I were having a chat before we came in and we were talking about how in Scotland there's a slightly different system. So you have valuation in the home report and that's what lenders are using to lend on that amount. So if you are finding yourself in a bidding war, Lynne was talking about first time buyers, this is happening. We are seeing really strong demand from first time buyers in Scotland. It's up 4% compared to the rest of the UK, which is actually down by 0.4%. So a slightly different trend happening in Scotland. And if you offer above the home report value the mortgage typically doesn't cover that so you've got to have the cash to cover it.
Phil Spencer: But it's fairly standard, isn't it? I was in Edinburgh about a month ago and standard was 10% over the home report value.
Lynne Peterkin: That came down slightly now, but we're still around about 5% over. The home buying report, but what Colleen is saying is correct. You have a first time buyer that's spent all their time building their deposit, then they're going to get outbid and they can't add that onto the mortgage and it has to be additional cash. So it's back to the bank of mom and dad or whoever's helping them to actually be able to create enough funds to go on and buy that property. So that is a bit of a sticking point as well. It's creating the kind of perfect storm, if you like, really leaning into a seller's market just now in Scotland.
Phil Spencer: And I guess, seeing as we have talked about the numbers of people moving from out of Scotland, actually the advice from brokers needs to be, you've got to get yourself familiar with the Scottish system because it is very different. And there are parts that are better and there are parts that perhaps that aren't as good.
Lynne Peterkin: Yeah. You need to get totally familiar with it. English law versus Scottish law is a bit different and actually the legal system's just a bit smoother in Scotland now. That's not saying every solicitor is absolutely on their game, but we do not have the lag that you have in England. The last that I heard, correct me if I'm wrong, it was an average of maybe 16, 17 weeks from offer to completion in England and that's probably from start to finish for us and that's probably elongated should I say.
Phil Spencer: The system chains in England is deeply complicated.
Lynne Peterkin: Yeah that's it, it's a chain. That is it.
Phil Spencer: Yours is rather more straightforward.
Lynne Peterkin: Yeah, we're straightforward, like signing a dotted line and actually you're in.
Phil Spencer: Well, great to talk to you both. Thank you so much. That was Colleen Babcock, who's head of partner marketing and property expert at Rightmove and Lynne Peterkin, a managing director at First Mortgage, one of the biggest brokerages in Scotland. Just to point out, we are recording this on the 30th of March 2026 and the views expressed by myself and external guests are not necessarily the views of Barclays. Thanks for listening to Mortgage Insider from Barclays. I'm Phil Spencer and if you're listening to the podcast, you can now watch the video on Spotify. Subscribe to Mortgage Insider on your favorite podcast app and do please join us again next month.