Phil Spencer: Hello, this is Mortgage Insider from Barclays. I'm Phil Spencer, TV presenter and property expert, and this is the series where you'll learn everything you need to know about the mortgage industry. Today, we're looking at new build in 2026. Now, the government has pledged one and a half million new homes over the next five years, but the number of new homes approved fell at the end of last year. So how are house builders working to meet that challenge? And what are the trends that we can expect in the year ahead? It's a really fascinating time. How has the industry evolved since the end of Help to Buy as well? Well, to answer all these conundrums and more, I'm joined by Neil Jefferson, chief executive of the Home Builders Federation, and Craig Hall, who is the director of strategic partnerships at LSL Financial Services. Hello to you both. Thank you for coming on.
Neil Jefferson: Great to see you both.
Phil Spencer: Lots to talk through today. I think it's a really interesting and relevant topic. Neil, if you can just kick off, Home Builders Federation, or HBF.
Neil Jefferson: Yes. Home Builders Federation, we represent the vast majority of home builders in England and Wales. Our members build 80% of all homes, so it's quite a big footprint. So we represent them with government media, bring them together, work together on unproductive and progressive schemes.
Phil Spencer: Thank you. And, Craig, what's your role at LSL?
Craig Hall: Yeah, so I'm director of strategic partnerships for our financial services division. So LSL Property Services Group, we have a financial services division, we have an estate agency division, and we also have e. surv chartered surveyors. So we are experts across all things housing.
Phil Spencer: How do you see sentiment? Going into this year, how are people feeling generally?
Neil Jefferson: I think there's expectation. There's a bit of optimism. I think it's been quite a challenging time. Politically, new government, and 18 months in, of course, the reality is that house- building in the UK and England and Wales certainly is flatlining. In fact, we've seen two consecutive years of decreases, 7% each year, in terms of housing supply. So we need to turn that corner, so I think this year is an interesting year for the industry. The industry is certainly set to deliver that growth. They have been for as long as labor have been in government, but there are quite a few issues that we need to get through, which I'm sure we'll discuss today.
Phil Spencer: And, Craig, how do you see things, general sentiment?
Craig Hall: Yeah, I think the sentiment is really positive in the broker world and in the lender world. I think there's a real huge appetite for mortgage lenders, which is fantastic. We've come a long way in the last 13, 14 years since the early days of when Help to Buy was born, and a lot of the lenders had sort of ran to the hills as far as new build was concerned post the global financial crisis. So we are now back in a much more stronger place with mortgage lending support, so I think going into this year, it looks like it'd be a strong year from a demand point of view.
Phil Spencer: Yeah, I completely agree. It was such a quiet end to last year for various reasons, but actually life goes on. People still change jobs and get married and have babies and get divorced and die, and those things continue to happen. I read that actually Boxing Day was a complete record in terms of the numbers of people that were active on the portals.
Craig Hall: And we're seeing that in our numbers. The last couple of weeks we've really started to see mortgage application numbers really tick up.
Phil Spencer: Because there's an interesting time lag, isn't there, between people taking the decision, let's move, let's buy, let's sell. They probably come to you first, and then the estate agents get busy. Actually, the builders have to react, and that's an even longer time lag.
Neil Jefferson: Yeah, and part of the challenge actually is predicting future demand and looking ahead to see what the environment may be. But I agree, it is quite difficult to predict looking ahead with some of the uncertainties. And the way the budget works these days as well, which is different to when I was young, the budget was kind of not a big deal and largely something that happened, and the price of beer and petrol change. Now, the kites that get flown by government to test the various things that they may change creates some uncertainty sometimes within the marketplace, which is certainly what we saw last year.
Phil Spencer: Yeah. Let's get into a bit of detail of any trends that you anticipate seeing across the year. Any thoughts on that? What are we likely to feel and see?
Craig Hall: I think we're now into that buying season again, aren't we? As I said, sort of post the winter period, we tend to see those peaks and troughs in the market. I think the key question for me is when will we start to see that supply come on side? There's definitely that demand there. Things are more affordable now, which I'm sure will come onto the whys and wherefores. But it'd be really interesting to know from Neil what his members are telling us around what are they building and when and when will we start to see that come on the market.
Phil Spencer: It's fascinating, isn't it? Because it's chicken and egg.
Neil Jefferson: Absolutely.
Phil Spencer: You need the demand, but you've got to have the activity. You've got to have the activity, then you get the demand. Yeah.
Neil Jefferson: No, I think for us, one of the challenges in recent years has been planning, and I think you always hear that from the home- building industry. But at the back end of the last government, it was particularly difficult because they changed planning rules, abandoned local housing targets. So it takes some time to recover from that. And therefore, we run a housing pipeline, which actually looks at planning applications, and that's basically been at an all- time low. However, I'd say one of the reasons for me to be more optimistic is actually with the change to the planning policy, which is the National Planning Policy Framework, the MPPF, and also the new act, the Planning and Infrastructure Act, which was a bill until just a few weeks ago. I think there are reasons to be cheerful. There's also designation of gray belt and so on. So I think we will see an increase in a number of applications going in for new homes. That creates a challenge for under- resourced and overworked local planning authorities, which will be a test. But I think we can expect there to be more applications going in, which eventually, Phil, I hope feeds into more housing supply. But we do need this translation, as Craig says, from the underlying demand, which is absolutely huge, that needs to become effective demand. There needs to be ways of making sure that people are aware that actually they can enter into homeownership and they need support for that as well, which I'm sure we'll talk about.
Phil Spencer: Can we just go back to the planning departments and the planning reform and whether there was simply enough people in the planning departments to service the demand? And if there isn't, when will there be, and whose responsibility is that?
Neil Jefferson: Yes. Even in opposition, we worked with labor to think about the changes they needed to make to ease the planning process and get more capacity within this system. And through the new policy framework, the MPPF, also the Planning and Infrastructure Act, which was enacted at the end of last year, we're seeing some positive changes, the reinstruction of local housing targets, the concept of the gray belt, even new towns. So there's lots of positivity. The second bit is delays, and actually particularly for smaller businesses. It's often the delays which are the real problem if they've got borrowings for land and they need to get on site more quickly. So to be fair to the government, they recognize that we need more planners in the system and they committed to bringing in 300 more planners a year, which is really a drop in the ocean. We estimate we need about 2, 500, but it's really, really welcome that that's been recognized. And actually in terms of looking at exemptions for small sites and finding ways of easing that so that the planning officers can actually focus on the bigger issues within their areas, that's been something we've seen from this government. And I think there's more to come on that.
Phil Spencer: So do you think that we're relaxing bureaucracy in order to speed things up?
Neil Jefferson: Yeah. Some of the newer things like, which is uncontested by the industry, but things like biodiversity net gain, which means actually that post- development, the site has got better biodiversity credentials than before it was developed, and that's been managed. But actually that creates a huge amount of work for local planning authorities. There's only a certain number of ecologists in the country. So for very small sites, you can understand that perhaps that needs to be fast- tracked or eased and so that the fewer reports are required so that actually the local- level offices are able to focus on the big sites.
Phil Spencer: And if and when there are enough planning officers and they can approve things, are there enough skilled builders to actually build the property?
Neil Jefferson: That's a great question, and I think actually there's a lot of preparation going on in expectation of an increasing housing supply to get more people into the industry. To be truthful, at the moment, because we've seen two years of housing decline and some particularly difficult markets such as London, skills doesn't come up as the biggest issue for us and our members at the moment, but it will do. There's an awful lot of work going on to prepare for the future, to get a more diverse pipeline of people coming into the industry, to think about the skills that are needed, how we train them. There's various initiatives going on around the country, such as skills hubs. And through us, actually, at the Home Builders Federation, we're working with a number of colleges to improve the quality of what's happening there. And also, of course, last week I was at the opening of another new factory. One of our largest members, Bellway Homes, have opened a really impressive robotic factory up in the Mansfield area. So there's this move towards offsite manufacturer, particularly with wall panels, which again means that homes can be built offsite-
Phil Spencer: Quicker.
Neil Jefferson: ... and more quickly. Yeah.
Phil Spencer: Yeah. And more efficiently.
Neil Jefferson: Absolutely. Yeah. And that creates more opportunities as well in terms for people to work in a factory environment that may not be able to work out on site.
Phil Spencer: Neil, you mentioned London, and I read something over the weekend that house- building in London's fallen 80% in the last 10 years. There's only 5, 500 new homes in London last year. That's a really low number. Is it to do with, and I use inverted commas, the improvement in building safety regulations?
Neil Jefferson: Yeah.
Phil Spencer: And I shouldn't laugh at that because it's a very serious issue.
Neil Jefferson: Yeah, and I think actually there is an issue, though. The standards are well understood, and there's been new standards brought in terms of the use of combustible materials and also the requirement into all buildings for two staircases. There's been a new building safety regulator, which has come in, which does building control on all of those high- risk buildings. And that's been admitted. They've admitted they've been under- resourced. But it's under new leadership. There's been some good announcements recently. But there are some legacy issues to be dealt with. But London, it is catastrophic. I mean, out of the 1. 5 million new homes that should be delivered within this parliament, 25% of those should come out of London, and the numbers that you're talking about are absolutely... It's terrible. But I wouldn't just say it's to do with building safety and standards. Actually, in many ways, London has been affected by issues of regarding viability because there are so many developer contributions that are required. In London, there's not just one community infrastructure levy; it's like payments to local authorities. There's two. And there's all of the other costs that have come in. And since COVID, we've seen a significant increase in build costs, which means that so many sites are not viable or difficult. And also affordability as well. The prices are so high, for the first time in 60 years, there isn't a scheme to support, a government scheme, to support first- time buyers. So they've all added together, and I think actually London is a bit of an insight into what's happening in some of our other challenged housing markets around the country.
Phil Spencer: Okay. Now the HBF put out a big report in January called The Broken Ladder, and it highlighted that the challenges of affordability or the affordability gap between prices and earnings and actually what people can do. Can you just talk a bit about the conclusions from that?
Neil Jefferson: Yeah, sure. So this is something we publish quite regularly. This is the third in The Broken Ladder series, and the latest one shines a light on what's happening with homeownership. The government has targets for homeownership and increasing homeownership, but in fact, it's falling. And one of the key findings, I think, from that report, it makes many points, but actually is the gap, the 1. 5 million potential homeowners that have missed out, they could have been on the ladder between 2003 and 2026, and that's because affordability has fallen so much. And the conclusion of the report is that what we're saying, is that the government should be looking at a new scheme, government- backed equity loan scheme. We take our lessons from the various schemes or our learnings from the various schemes that have existed in recent years. As I said earlier, it's the first time in 60 years there isn't a government- backed scheme for buyer, first- time buyers, and it's most desperately needed. So where we are, I think when you read the report, Phil, you'll see that there's a lot of talk over recent years about deposits and closing the gap and making sure that the deposits... We're beyond that now. It's now we're into affordability where actually what's needed, Bank of Mom and Dad, is actually beyond what a mortgage lender would require as a deposit, but actually a much bigger deposit in order to make the home affordable. So we've got to think about ways of, as I said earlier on, making that underlying demand, which is huge, more effective.
Phil Spencer: Craig, Bank of Mom and Dad, in my mind's eye, I think it's the 10th biggest lender. Is that about right?
Craig Hall: Yeah, I think it still is. Yeah. I don't think the official figures have been published for 25, but estimations were about 10 billion pounds worth of, I say lending, probably more like funding, gifting. And it's actually been rebranded, I think, by the industries the Bank of Family because it's going beyond mom and dad. It's nan, granddad, aunties, uncles, and even friends and wider family are supporting with that deposit to get the step on the ladder. I think the average deposit is in the region about 30, 000 pounds gifted from the Bank of Family. So it plays into what Neil was saying around that huge affordability challenge and raising the deposit.
Phil Spencer: And, Craig, Help to Buy was finished in England in 2023, but it continues in Wales. Is that right?
Craig Hall: Correct. Yeah. Yeah.
Phil Spencer: Is there anything on the horizon to replace it?
Craig Hall: So you're right, it finished in '23 at a time when interest rates went up. So at a time when we needed it most, the scheme was withdrawn. We saw the base rate go up to, what was it, about 5. 75, 6%? I can't remember where it peaked now. And during the COVID era, the base rate was at 0. 1%, and Help to Buy was still available. So we've seen house prices continue to increase, albeit ease off a little bit, so that affordability challenge that Neil talked about is still absolutely there. In terms of what's filling the gap, I think there's been a few things over the last sort of 12 months that have been some real positive movements in the market. Some of the regulations have been relaxed with lenders around stress testing and things like loan- to- income caps. So what we've seen is that the sort of average increase for borrowers is about 35, 000 pounds more just by some of those moves that have allowed the lenders to be a bit more flexible with their lending policy, all of which then boosts affordability. I think the challenge is, though, is that a lender may say, " We will lend you X." I think in the last couple of months, actually, we've seen a number of the top six lenders move to six times loan to income, which is huge. That you used to cap out many, many years ago three and a half, four times, four and a half times. So we've started to see lenders push the boundaries, but looking at then the costs per month, how desirable is that? And I think, again, that's where it plays into Neil's point around where Help to Buy made it more affordable, more easier on the eye as part of that monthly affordability.
Phil Spencer: Yeah. What's the story in Wales?
Craig Hall: So in Wales, the scheme, because it's a devolved government, Help to Buy still exists, and it will close in 2027 as it currently stands. Again, they had a scheme in Scotland, but the scheme sold out within no time. So you've got different challenges in different regions of the UK.
Phil Spencer: Neil, do you think we'll see something to replace Help to Buy?
Neil Jefferson: Oh, I hope so, Phil. I mean, I think there's speculation in the media at the moment, and there's no doubt there's conversations going on. I think the biggest challenge that we have is that there's a view in some quarters, maybe within parts of government, that Help to Buy was inflationary, and the one thing this government doesn't want to do is drive up house prices. And so one thing that we're really looking forward to, and it's overdue, by the way, is that the government's actually carrying out its own evaluation of the Help to Buy scheme. And I thought that would be out by now. It's actually now due to be completed by May. And I think that will dispel a few myths with regards to what Help to Buy did in terms of increasing homeownership and increasing housing supply, and also, I think it will be clearer with regards to the impact it did have on house price inflation. Which I think if there was any house price inflation... And I can show you the charts that show the average price of a new home matched against an existing home over that 10- year period, and they're perfectly matched. If anything, the existing home has got its nose ahead at the end. So I think that report is well overdue. I really hope the government does grasp the nettle. It's massively overdue. We've got a proposal in. The Labor, actually, in not opposition coined this name of Freedom to Buy, so we've gone with that. And we've looked at these various schemes that have existed, and we think, actually, that developers can make a contribution to the scheme. Government can back it out. And half of those loans, Craig, have been redeemed now. And I know there's half a book to get through, but it looks quite positive. So in my world, and our members are very diverse, they don't all build for first- time buyers, but it's absolutely unanimous. They completely agree as a membership that there needs to be a scheme for first- time buyers to get the whole of the market going again. So fingers crossed, let's hope so, but we've got some work to do.
Craig Hall: And I think... Sorry, Phil... I think the other thing to say is that shared ownership plays an important role. There's a report done I think by the CIH in 2017 that said there were 10 buyers for every one shared ownership unit back then. I would imagine that has increased significantly due to everything we've talked about with affordability. We've seen lender innovation with policy and criteria, and we've also seen a private scheme recently take off. Barclays are a supporter of a scheme called Reside, so that is a private shared- equity scheme trying to mirror the Help to Buy scheme, albeit it's backed by private equity; therefore, it comes with an interest charge on the equity loan from day one. Whereas Help to Buy was interest- free for five years, of course.
Phil Spencer: So really, there's innovation coming thick and fast from all quarters.
Craig Hall: Oh, yeah. Yep. Yeah.
Neil Jefferson: I would just make the point that really welcome the work that lenders, including Barclays, have done. They've really responded to the government's request for them to have a think about their lending. But for me, it's about discoverability, and as Craig says, as you said, actually, Phil, the problem is that perhaps that potential home buyers are only aware of what they can borrow and actually get to see their broker. Whereas when there's a government- backed national scheme and signs are all up can actually think, " Yeah, this could be the time." So there's been some great work done by lenders. We welcome the private schemes which have been aiming at taking the place of Help to Buy, the gap that was being left, but there's more needed. Yeah.
Phil Spencer: One last question on supply, if I may. So we've talked about the planning reform, and I'm wondering, will we ever see a day where the councils can build for themselves?
Neil Jefferson: Yeah. I think this government certainly would like to see that. You mentioned earlier on about the skills gap, and the truth is is that back in the days or decades ago when many homes were built by local authorities, council houses, they had all the skills in- house to do that, and that's been lost over years. The truth is we need as much diversity in housing suppliers we can, so we need homes for private sale, we need shared ownership, all the different tenures. We need the private sector, institutional investors, to step up for Build to Rent. And there is a desire, I think, to see local authorities also step into that place, as well as housing associations. And to give credit to the government, the one thing it did do last year was to put quite a bit of funding, we haven't seen the cash yet, but put funding into housing associations for them to develop as well.
Phil Spencer: Okay. I didn't know that.
Neil Jefferson: So there is that ambition, but I think there are some challenges along the way, which is mainly to do with skills.
Phil Spencer: Any other particular challenges that we haven't talked about that we're likely to feel in the year ahead, would you say?
Craig Hall: I think-
Phil Spencer: Something fresh?
Craig Hall: We often talk a lot about first- time buyers when it comes to the new build market because of the schemes that we've talked about, but actually, it's a really interesting market this year because 2026 is five years on from 2021 being the year of the race for space post- COVID. So we had that real surge in demand in 2021, people going out and living further afield and out in the country. And of course, a lot of those people back then, interest rates were ultra low, were taking out five- year fix, so they are maturing now.
Phil Spencer: Got it.
Craig Hall: So what we're seeing is they will be coming off in ultra- low rates. In some cases, they may start with a zero or a one or a two, and then dropping onto a rate that starts with three, four, or five. So the term payment shock is still something that will be felt in the market this year. Outside of everything else we've talked about, there's some interesting market dynamics. And I think for the brokers listening, they need to stay close to their client bank. As they go through this year and those maturities come up, they really need to start engaging with them three to six months out to understand what their plans and their customers' plans, aims, and ambitions are for this year and beyond.
Phil Spencer: Good advice. There are always so many variables. It never stands still. But that's what keeps us interested. It keeps it fascinating. Let's just talk a bit about the brokers and things that they should be aware of, or new standards or new rules that are going to be coming in that you really think brokers have got to be focused on. Future homes standards, does that fit into all of this?
Neil Jefferson: Yeah. So we're currently awaiting, it may be out by the time this addition is broadcast, a government announcement on the future home standard. It's been long- awaited, but essentially, Phil, what we're going to see is that new homes will be mandated to no longer be allowed to have a gas connection, so no more gas boilers. So we're looking at electrical heating for space heating and water heating in homes. And the winning technology there at the moment seems to be heat pumps, which are generally... They're more widely available in new home development at the same time. And the other key component in terms of technology are solar panels on the roof, so photovoltaic panels that generate electricity. And the truth is even at the moment, 50% of all homes being built right now around the country have got solar panels, and that's becoming a regulatory requirement. What we're waiting for is to find out how many solar panels will be required on the roof. So that announcement will come soon from government and then that will kick in. In terms of the fabric of new homes, if you like, the insulation levels and the windows, they're already at really, really high levels, which is why it's part of the appeal of new build with so many new build properties being EPC, AMB- rated, which is good all around, it's good for lenders, it's good for homeowners, and we've-
Phil Spencer: I'm often talking to people about house prices at my television work, but actually it's not just buying the house. You've got to live in it. You got to run it. And people are far more aware of the costs of...
Neil Jefferson: The other thing is water. We did another report. We regularly work out what the savings are for new build buyers on gas and electric, but also water as well, with the charges that are now in place for water, the fittings that go into a new home with regards to water use and the way that water is used, again, generates savings for consumers as well.
Phil Spencer: Craig, just to finish off with, is there one thing that you think brokers should really take away from listening or watching this?
Craig Hall: A phrase I regularly use about this sector is there is never a dull moment in new build. I think, as we've heard, it's so politically linked. We live in a very global world now, which changes everything that we do from one year to the next. We never quite know what we could be facing into. So I think staying on top of all of these things, where are we at with the government, these one and a half billion homes, what's coming down the track with future homes, what's coming down the track with new schemes, the private schemes, the lending policy, I think every part of the mortgage market is getting more complex, from new build to secondhand to buy- to- let to later- life lending and everything in between. To be a generalist, I think is quite difficult to stay on top of all that, and that's why we see those real specialist new build brokers that work every day with the builders. They've got a real tight relationship. So they're on top of all of this stuff, including which lenders will accept incentives. The more you look, the more you find when it comes to the new build market.
Phil Spencer: So it's sounding like it is a bit of a case of being a specialist.
Craig Hall: Absolutely.
Phil Spencer: Yeah. And rightly so too, actually, because it has got more complicated.
Neil Jefferson: It has. I think against that backdrop, I think my message would be about sticking together and having one voice, and I think that we work closely with Craig and his colleagues and all the lenders. Quite a number of the lenders are actually members of HBF. But yeah, I think it's really important, not just that we work together in a more complex environment, as we've just been saying, but also for government who are picking their way through this quite complex environment, it's really helpful if we do all speak with one voice. There'll be different views, but actually when we're landing on recommendations, clearly we're more likely to be successful in making our case if we all stick together. And if I look at certainly when we talked earlier on with regards to planning reform, nothing's ever perfect, but in terms of the overall changes that have been made already, they've been widely agreed and supported by the industry. So I think it's the same going forward with market issues and lending issues. If we can continue to work together as we do and try to keep that single voice, then that'd be really helpful.
Phil Spencer: Well, watch this space. It's going to be an interesting year. Thank you both very much indeed.
Neil Jefferson: Thank you.
Craig Hall: Thank you.
Phil Spencer: Really, really fascinating. That was Neil Jefferson, chief executive of the Home Builders Federation, and Craig Hall, who's the director of strategic partnerships at LSL Financial Services. Just to point out, we are recording this on the 2nd of February 2026. The views expressed by myself and external guests are not necessarily the views of Barclays. But thanks for listening to Mortgage Insider from Barclays. I'm Phil Spencer. If you're listening to the podcast, you can now watch the video on Spotify. Subscribe to Mortgage Insider on your favorite podcast app and join us again next month.