Kia: Hi, Kia here. Today, we're talking all about pets: what animals and breeds make great pets, how to get the most out of your pet insurance, and what are the short and long- term costs of owning a pet? I've been wanting to get a pet for ages now, so I'm super excited to learn everything that I can from our amazing guest. Welcome to another episode of A Little Bit Richer, brought to you by my friends at Legal & General. Joining us to discuss all of this is vet Ben Simpson- Vernon. You might have seen his great advice on TikTok: @ ben. the. vet. So welcome, Ben.
Ben Simpson-Vernon: Hiya. Thanks for having me.
Kia: Thank you for coming. So first of all, I'm going to need your advice on this one. Let's talk about the benefits of having a pet. I've been trying to convince my dad for years now that it's time to have a pet in the house, and I think hearing some of your benefits will help, so what's some of the benefits?
Ben Simpson-Vernon: I guess the main thing for most people is just the companionship, and having a pet in your life just brings an extra bit of joy. Obviously, having a pet can have positive effects on your mental health as well, and a lot of people report that they feel less anxious when they have a pet around. Can be good for your physical health as well. If you have a dog, you have to walk your dog. You have to get out of the house a couple of times a day, so it forces people to exercise. Benefits for children as well, so having a pet to look after can encourage children to be more responsible. For some people, their pets are a lifeline, really. We're looking at guide dogs, assistance dogs, so that's a whole other level of benefit to those people as well.
Kia: I feel like I'm going to make sure my dad listens to this, because this sounds great: getting out of the house, feeling better. These are the things that you need, and we know that life can be so stressful, so if you know you've got a furry companion to come home to, that is brilliant. How do you then decide what sort of pet would be right for you? Because I remember growing up, we had fish, and fish were cool, but it don't really do much. They just swim around all day, and I really wanted a dog or a cat or something that just was more interesting. But how do you actually decide what's going to be the right pet to get for you?
Ben Simpson-Vernon: Yeah, I think a fish is quite a good entry- level pet, maybe for a child or if you've never had a pet before, just to get used to some element of responsibility. But I think it comes down to three main things: time, money, and space. So what is your day- to- day life like? How much time do you spend at home? Have you got time to walk a dog a couple of times a day, or would a cat be better, that you don't have to maybe commit quite so much time to? I think space, again, if you don't have a garden, if you live in a small flat, getting a Great Dane might not be the most sensible idea, so you need to factor that in. And money, of course. So there's a huge difference in costs associated with different pets. Obviously, far cheaper to get something like a hamster than a large- breed dog. And going back to the time, I think you need to think about: What are your circumstances now, and what are your circumstances likely to be in five, 10 years? Have you got kids now? Might you have kids in five years? How would a dog slot into your life then? So there's quite a lot to think about, really.
Kia: I like the fact that you mentioned the financial aspect, because I think pets are great, but what would that look like on your finances? We talk about it a lot on A Little Bit Richer, but your money and budgeting and understanding where it goes does factor into picking what pet. You've shared some incredible advice on TikTok, and you're absolutely killing it, so can you tell us some of the best and worst dog breeds to own? Because I didn't really know that there was a best and worst. I think I'm just aesthetic; I'll just pick one that looks nice, and that's it. But it is worth on knowing the differences between the different breeds, so can you tell us that, maybe your top three for each?
Ben Simpson-Vernon: Yeah, and that's where people go wrong, I think. It's picking aesthetics and going by dog that looks cute or that their friends have or they've seen on social media, and that can be a really big pitfall. It's often the dog breeds that have a really distinct or unique or exaggerated appearance, the dog breeds that can have more health problems and then more vet bills associated with that. I mean, in terms of best and worst breeds, I guess it depends. Different people will give very different answers, but my views are very much shaped by my work as a vet. So in terms of dog breeds, they're not necessarily worst dog breeds, but dog breeds that I wouldn't personally get. I think a French bulldog or any flat- faced brachycephalic breed has to be up there. They're lovely dogs. They're obviously extremely popular, and that's for a reason. They've got awesome personalities. They make great pets, but they do have a predisposition to a lot of different health problems, so I wouldn't get a French bulldog. Something like a Shar- Pei, again, quite an exaggerated breed, and they're very prone to ear infections and skin infections because of all that excess skin. And another one that I wouldn't get, one that surprised quite a lot of people, is the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. But they're really cute little dogs, and in terms of temperament, they're the kind of breed that I would love to have, but almost every Cavalier King Charles Spaniel will develop the same kind of heart disease because of genetics, really. Because all of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniels in this country are thought to be descended from five dogs. That is how small their gene pool is, and so most Cavalier King Charles Spaniels will develop the same kind of heart disease. And I mean, going on to dog breeds that I would get, there are a lot of them that I would consider, but one that I put in my TikTok video was greyhounds, because there were so many of them needing homes that have been retired from the racing industry. So they'd be on my list, and just a mixed breed, like a mongrel, really, because they're not so inbred. They can be prone to fewer health problems, so they would certainly be on the list. And I always say you can't go wrong with a Labrador. They're just the best family dog, I think.
Kia: Hearing your breakdown is really useful because there's things to consider when picking the right breed for you. But I think hopefully, that's given some people some inspiration. So for everyone at home, what are some of the up- front costs that people should be aware of that come up when you actually come to become a pet owner and have your pet?
Ben Simpson-Vernon: Yeah, so obviously, there's the cost of buying the animal. So if you're getting a hamster or Guinea pig or a cat or a non- pedigree cat, then generally, the cost is not particularly expensive. But when you're looking at getting a pedigree cat or a pedigree dog or one of these designer breeds of dog, like a cockapoo, the cost can be several thousands of pounds, just to purchase the pet. And then you've got the costs of having them vaccinated, microchipped, flea and worming treatment, maybe having them neutered, so they're the main sort of up- front costs to consider.
Kia: What about regular costing, things that keep coming up? What are the things that people should be aware of there?
Ben Simpson-Vernon: So particularly looking at the cockapoos and the poodle crosses, so the doodles and poodles, many dog breeds have to be groomed regularly. So you might have to factor your dog's haircut into your finances, as well as yours and the rest of your family's. Some of these dog breeds have to have their hair cut every six to eight weeks, and probably at a greater cost than your own haircut, particularly for men, anyway. And then you've got the cost of boarding or doggie daycare if you work long hours or if you're going away on holiday and you haven't got someone to look after your dog. Cost of their food. That can range hugely, from budget brands to premium foods. And then obviously, vet fees, so your preventative healthcare, so vaccinations, flea and worming. And then when things go wrong, if your pet falls ill, people are often shocked by the cost of veterinary bills. I think in this country, because we have an NHS, we're shielded from the cost of healthcare and how expensive it can be, so that is something to be prepared for before you have a pet. Or the cost of pet insurance is something tied in with that as well.
Kia: If you do want to get a pet, they are amazing. It's just things to consider when actually making that decision. So you touched on it just now: pet insurance. Is it important to have, and if so, what are some of the things to look out for? Because it can be quite a lot, especially if you've not done this before. There are so many different options. What's important? What do I really need? What can I do without? So what should people be looking for?
Ben Simpson-Vernon: So I think having pet insurance is part of being a responsible pet owner. So some people do choose to have a savings pot put to one side, should their pet fall ill. But I guess you need to think about things like what if your kitten breaks their leg after three weeks of you owning them, and you haven't saved up that savings pot? And that's where insurance really comes into its own, and insurance can vary hugely in cost. A dog breed can have a huge impact on your dog's likelihood of falling ill and also, therefore, on your pet insurance costs. So I went onto a website for a popular pet insurance company and got a quote for a Jack Russell, versus a French bulldog, quite a comprehensive policy that covers 7, 000 pounds of vet fees per year. And that came out at 47 pounds a month for the Jack Russell, whereas a French bulldog came out at 245 pound a month, so getting on for three grand a year. And that three grand a year that you're paying in your premiums is to get you covered for seven grand of vet fees. So that is the difference in risk, that the pet insurance company is saying, " Your chance of making a claim is so high that we have to charge this amount," So that gives you an idea of how likely it is that a French bulldog is to fall ill or need major surgery. So that's important to factor in, A, from a financial point of view, because you need to be prepared for those costs. But also, do you want to have a pet that is that likely to fall ill? There's an ethical consideration there as well. So two main types of pet insurance policy. You can get a lifetime policy, which will cover ongoing health problems. So for example, if your pet developed diabetes, then that would cover that condition, ongoing, whereas an annual insurance policy might be a bit cheaper, but that would only cover a condition like diabetes for a year, and after that, you wouldn't have any insurance cover. So bear those kind of things in mind. And then other things to consider would be things like dental cover. So it's very common that a dog or cat might need a few dental procedures in their life, and they can be very costly, and not all insurance will cover that, so that is something to bear in mind. And one thing that I should say as well, that really any pet owner, particularly dog owner, should have third- party insurance. There's no legal requirement to have it, but that's to cover the costs of, for example, if your dog runs out in front of a car and writes off someone's car. Then that would cover the cost of that, so that, again, is part of being a responsible pet owner. But ideally, have cover for your dog's injuries as well.
Kia: That's a really good point that you make, so it is very important to make. Make sure that you are covered. So if someone's listening, and they're like, " Great, Ben. Love what you're saying, I want a pet, but dogs and cats sound quite expensive," what are some lower- maintenance, slightly cheaper pets that people can have a look at?
Ben Simpson-Vernon: So yeah, going back to goldfish, that's quite a good entry- level pet, but maybe thinking about a hamster or a Guinea pig. It's quite a good pet to start off with. I've had Guinea pigs. I don't have any at the moment, but I've had Guinea pigs for about 10 years. We've had multiple rounds of Guinea pigs, and they were awesome. We taught our Guinea pigs to do tricks. They love being held.
Kia: That is incredible.
Ben Simpson-Vernon: Yeah, I mean, you can get a lot back from a Guinea pig. I think people dismiss them as children's pets. I definitely rate Guinea pigs as pets. Obviously, the up- front costs of getting a Guinea pig or a rabbit are a lot cheaper. You're probably only going to spend 50 pounds, maybe. You should still have a financial backup. Particularly, rabbits can still develop health problems that can incur higher vet fees. You should still have means of paying for that or maybe even think about insurance, but generally, the costs are lower than a dog or a cat.
Kia: That's good. I think Guinea pigs, you're selling it. You can teach a Guinea pig tricks.
Ben Simpson-Vernon: We had our Guinea pigs as ring bearers at our wedding, actually.
Kia: Ring bearers?
Ben Simpson-Vernon: Yeah, yeah.
Kia: You have opened my eyes.
Ben Simpson-Vernon: The vicar definitely said that was the first Guinea pig ring bearer. Lots of dogs, but she hadn't had any Guinea pigs before.
Kia: So if you are someone like me, I feel like I need to take the first step, but I'm not ready for the commitment of a pet. So for someone like me who perhaps wants the fun of what a pet can bring but doesn't want the full long- term responsibility, what are some options available for people like me?
Ben Simpson-Vernon: So if you've got friends or family with a dog, I'm sure they'll always be looking for people to look after their dog for periods of time, so that's a great idea. Or there are websites. There's one called BorrowMyDoggy, where you can get in contact, via the website, with people that are looking for someone to take their dog for a walk or to look after the dog while they go on holiday. So that can be quite good. But also contacting charities like Guide Dogs. Always looking for people to foster dogs. Often, they'll have the puppies that are in Guide Dog training in a home with people, so you could look after a dog for a charity for a period of time. Or other charities looking for people to foster dogs as well. It's a great option for if you've never had a pet before and you don't really know if it's for you. Obviously, a dog can live for 10 to 15 years, so if you get the dog, and a year or two in, you think, " Actually, maybe this wasn't a great idea," that can be a difficult situation. So fostering a dog for a few months or even a year can be a great trial.
Kia: I love that. Thank you so, so much. Okay, so if people have decided, " Right, I want to get a pet," there are so many places to get pets. Where are some trustworthy places that people can visit to ensure that they're going to get the right breed?
Ben Simpson-Vernon: So I guess one thing to consider is: Do you want to rescue a dog? Your up- front costs can be considerably lower if you're rescuing a pet, but obviously, rescuing a dog, there's a bit of unknown about the behavior and everything like that, so you need to factor those kind of things in. And often, charities have quite strict criteria for re- homing, but if you can re- home a pet, that can be a brilliant thing to do. If you're going to get a new puppy or kitten, then it can be a bit of a minefield. I would say it's always a good idea to go on recommendation. If you've got friends that have a breed of dog, and you want to get the same breed, talk to them about their breeder. And then something like the Kennel Club Assured Breeder Scheme is a good idea. One thing that people often don't realize is that being Kennel Club- registered doesn't really mean a lot. Basically, it just means that the dog that you are getting has a lineage that is proven. So they are definitely a Labrador, for example, but standard Kennel Club certification doesn't require any form of health testing. Whereas if you are getting a dog from a breeder who is on the Assured Breeder Scheme, then depending on the breed, there are often health tests and checks that they have to have done on the parents that give you a high chance of having a healthier puppy, so that is an important consideration. So there are some breeds of cat that are prone to particular heart problems, for example. There are responsible pedigree cat breeders that will be doing heart scans on their breeding cats to check for those problems, so thinking about those things. And I think the other thing is just having the right questions in mind when you're speaking to the breeder. There is something called the Puppy Contract, which is freely available online, via the RSPCA, and it is a contract that you can get the breeder to sign, but it can at least be a list of questions to jog you to be asking the right things to minimize the chance that you are going to get puppy from a puppy farm.
Kia: I think that's really good because there are so many regular costs associated with having a pet that you want to make sure you're getting the right breed, everything is how it should be. So I think knowing about the Puppy Contract is again, a really good one to know. It's free. Okay, so Ben, what would be your three top tips for our listeners when it comes to actually managing pet costs?
Ben Simpson-Vernon: I think the cost of pet food is one area where if you're really struggling with finance, then that is an area where you can save money, particularly if you have a large- breed dog. You can spend a huge amount on their food, particularly if you're buying a more premium food. Basic pet food from a supermarket has to meet minimum guidelines, so your pet is not going to develop any sort of nutritional deficiency or anything like that on that food, so don't feel guilty about feeding a cheaper food if you can't afford something more premium. Generally, the more premium pet foods will have higher- quality ingredients, but a basic pet food is still going to meet minimum guidelines. Another one I would say is to do with insurance, and there's another common pitfall that I see, where people see that their premiums go up on their insurance, and then they change insurance company. What they don't realize is that in most cases, that new insurance won't cover pre- existing conditions, so bear that in mind, particularly if your dog has a chronic long- term health condition. And then another one would be costs of ongoing medications. So it is often a lot cheaper to purchase medication from an online pharmacy. This is prescription medication, so you can either purchase it from your vet practice or that practice can write you a prescription for a fee. And that medication, not in all cases, but many medications can be purchased online significantly cheaper, and so that can really save a lot of money.
Kia: Ben, you have shared some incredible tips today. I am leaving with so much knowledge now. I feel like I'm ready to embark on my journey to becoming a pet owner one day. This has been incredible, so thank you so much for coming onto the podcast. Next time on A Little Bit Richer, we're helping you get your dream job. Don't forget you can rate, review, and subscribe to the podcast so you never miss an episode. Tell your mates and help them get A Little Bit Richer too. Keep up with the show on TikTok and Instagram at Legal & General. A Little Bit Richer is brought to you by Legal & General. Thank you for listening. See you soon.