Phil Spencer: Hello, this is Mortgage Insider from Barclays, the one- stop shop for mortgage brokers and everything you need to know about the housing market. I'm Phil Spencer, property expert and sometime TV presenter. Overwhelming and confusing: apparently that's the experience for many first time buyers in the UK. And then you factor in complications like dyslexia or poor financial literacy, and it becomes even harder. So today we're looking at how the process of buying a house can be made easier for first time buyers. In order to do that, I've been joined by two people who have a ton of experience and thoughts on the topic. Louise Baxter, MBE. Louise is a consumer champion, the co- CEO of Consumer Friend, and she sits on the board of several property- related organizations. Also with Kate Faulkner, OBE, chair of the Home Buying and Selling Council and founder of propertychecklists. co. uk. Great to have you both. Thank you for coming. Kate, Louise, excellent. I'm so pleased you've come on. And we should also have a little moment to recognize an OBE and an MBE, because I joined your illustrious brigade this year.
Kate Faulkner: You did. Congratulations.
Louise Baxter: Congratulations.
Phil Spencer: Thank you.
Kate Faulkner: Were you surprised? I must have (inaudible) -
Phil Spencer: I was.
Kate Faulkner: ... I was convinced it was a scam.
Phil Spencer: Oh, you could have put me up off the ceiling for about a week. Yeah. I had absolutely no idea.
Kate Faulkner: Yeah. It was-
Louise Baxter: It's keeping it a secret that's hard, that I found really hard. I wanted to tell everyone straightaway.
Kate Faulkner: I was so stressed about it. Honestly, I still didn't believe it until my local radio announced it on that Friday night.
Phil Spencer: I was exactly the same.
Kate Faulkner: And I wouldn't let anybody know. I was in a terrible state. But after that, it's all enjoyable.
Phil Spencer: Yes. Yes. If we can both just start by explaining a little bit about what you do. Louise, you do hundreds of different things, I know, but ...
Kate Faulkner: How long have we got?
Louise Baxter: I try and make consumer issues easier for people to understand. So I do lots of different roles, but trying to make what is very complicated markets a bit more inclusive and easier for consumers to understand. I'm a bit of a law geek, but I can tend to try and make that a bit easier for an average consumer to understand.
Phil Spencer: Okay. Well, I hope you manage it today. And Kate?
Kate Faulkner: So all I've ever wanted to do is to help people carry out property projects, bit of buying and selling, self- build, whatever it is. So I've built a whole business around consumer education. But the hat I wear today is one of my real passions is I believe we can buy and sell a lot better than we do now.
Phil Spencer: Wouldn't that be nice?
Kate Faulkner: It would be. We're getting there. And really, this is the year. So I've set up a voluntary organization. We now have 200 people. We work very closely with MHEOG, who've been very good and very supportive of a lot of the work we've done. And chair of the Home Buying and Selling Council. And everything we do is about just making it better. But not just actually for buyers and sellers; it's actually a really hard thing to do if you're an agent, a conveyancing lawyer. It doesn't matter. It's actually a really difficult process for the industry, as much deed brokers, as it is for consumers. So we think we have the way of fixing it for all.
Phil Spencer: We're going to talk about material information, but we're focusing on first time buyers. And I'm keen to hear your thoughts on the experience that first time buyers are going through at the moment. What would you say, Louise?
Louise Baxter: If we strip it out at the moment, I've never seen a world where there's so much consumer vulnerability. And when I talk about vulnerability from a consumer perspective, we never like to label people as vulnerable, because it's very disempowering. So consumer vulnerability is caused by the situation that's going on around you, which could be buying the house, and the marketplace that they're potentially trying to engage with. So if you think about first time buyers, you've got the financial pressure, the jargon, the assumed knowledge, the dealing with an estate agent, a mortgage broker, lender, all these different people.
Phil Spencer: That they've never done before.
Louise Baxter: Never done it before. We're not taught financial literacy in a school setting anymore because the national curriculum is too packed. So unless your parents have passed that knowledge onto you, this is the first time you've done it. So the increased stress levels and the marketplace cause quite a storm of vulnerability, which means people aren't always able to objectively make decisions or actually truly understand the decisions that they're trying to make, which means they may not always get the best outcomes.
Phil Spencer: So it's not just the challenges around affordability and deposits and cost of living and rent and stamp duty; it's also understanding the process. Is that what you're saying?
Louise Baxter: When you work in an industry, we have a lot of assumed knowledge. So then trying to communicate with somebody that doesn't work in your industry, when you spend probably 80% of your time with those other people, you can't strip it out. People don't ... The average reading age of a UK consumer, a UK adult, is between nine and 12. There's 7. 1 million adults with a reading age of nine or below. So we've got this terrible habit of being British and thinking if we speak in really big words, we sound really intelligent, and all we're doing is blocking out half the room. And again, being British, we don't go, " What does that mean? I don't understand that," because we don't want to highlight ourselves as being stupid or less than the person sitting next to us. So it's not inclusive.
Phil Spencer: So are you saying that actually language is one of the biggest barriers?
Louise Baxter: We should speak in plain English. So we shouldn't write in things like more than 25 words in a sentence. We should use the common words. We should write in the active voice, not the passive voice. And we should write for nine- year- olds and then everybody will benefit from it, because we'll all understand it, even if we've got a higher reading age than a nine- year- old.
Phil Spencer: You talked about financial literacy and the fact that that is a life skill and it's not taught in schools. Although I did read recently, it is set to be taught in schools in a couple of years' time. Is that right?
Louise Baxter: Media literacy and consumer literacy is coming in from OFCOM. So they are (inaudible) more critical thinking because we're seeing a lot of disinformation and misinformation from a scams perspective and a social media perspective. So it's fake news, try and work out what's real and what's not. So that will come in hopefully, yeah.
Phil Spencer: So how do and how can first time buyers understand ... I mean, the finances are particularly important because if you pick the wrong mortgage or you don't understand what you're getting in, getting yourself in for at the beginning, you're in a whole pile of trouble. How can they help?
Kate Faulkner: So the way I've always worked, because I've represented lots of first time buyers, and they really don't understand a lot of it. But actually, I think a lot of it's our fault. We don't, as an industry ... so you've got lenders, then you've got agents. And everybody says something different. And in the old days, as a first time buyer, you'd go to an agent, you'd go to 10 agents, you'd talk about a property, and two or three of them would teach you some stuff, and you'd naturally absorb something. But now they go online and find a property. And I think that's a bit of a disastrous start. What we really need to be doing is ... the way I communicate with them is I tell them stories. So if you want them to understand mortgage insurance, which I think should be compulsory, as the same if you're renting, what you do is you explain to them about the couple that bought a property. When they were moving in, it was flat on a first floor, carrying the sofa up, sofa fell back, Chap fell back, broke his back, in hospital for six months.
Phil Spencer: Couldn't work.
Kate Faulkner: Couldn't work, but how wonderful: the broker had organized the mortgage insurance and they were saved. They will never forget how important mortgage insurance is. So you do it with stories. But I think there's two things as well to bear in mind with first time buyers, is that there's a whole load of people that could buy who don't because we tell them every single day in the news, you can't afford to. It's impossible. And I hate that. It's my pet hate that I want to get rid of. And then for those that ignore all of those, when they come in, we're not showing them case studies. We're not showing them of the successful people. We move 1. 2 million households a year, or houses get traded between sellers and buyers. And 350 of those are first time buyers. So there's loads of first time buyers. They're the biggest parts of the market.
Phil Spencer: Are they really? The biggest part of the market?
Kate Faulkner: Yeah, effectively.
Phil Spencer: Because they are such an important part of the market.
Kate Faulkner: Huge.
Phil Spencer: If we don't have first time buyers, the whole thing grounds to a halt.
Kate Faulkner: Well, slightly interesting, that used to happen. But if you think of the nature of our population now, we're aging. So what we saw through the pandemic was first time buyers were struggling more to get on the market to start off with, but then you had second steppers and people trading down swapping with each other. But having said that, so weirdly, that's why the market grew when nobody thought it would do, because we'd lose the first time buyers. But again, first time buyers stayed in because we have new rules, which turned out to be quite useful, where they're assessed at a higher rate and they're on repayment mortgages. So that's why we didn't have a crash in 2022 when we would've done normally. But they are still a massive part of the market. And it's important that people get on the ladder, but we don't do enough to get them on.
Phil Spencer: You're so right. The media is full of the stories of how hard and tragic, and that's-
Kate Faulkner: Yeah. Well, you'll be asked the same, the amount of times you do a London interview and they're like, " Well, it's half a million to buy property." And I go, " Well, clearly it isn't. And these are all the properties you can get under 250,000." That's what we should all rally behind, and then we can get people on the ladder.
Phil Spencer: As Louise says, if they don't understand the process and it's a bit scary and overwhelming, they don't understand the language or there's not people there to help, then the temptation is to sit back and not tackle it.
Louise Baxter: It's interest rates as well. So there's a lot of fear factor around interest rates and the uncertainty. And the average consumer won't understand what interest rates are.
Kate Faulkner: Absolutely (inaudible) .
Louise Baxter: I know, exactly. So there's other things like the plain numbers principle. So rather than writing, " It's going to be a 4% interest rate," et cetera, et cetera, expect somebody to work that out, go, " Right, if you borrow £ 100, you're going to pay £ 4 back in a year." Just make it really simple. We over complicate everything. We use too many acronyms-
Kate Faulkner: (inaudible) yes.
Louise Baxter: ... especially industry acronyms all of the time. And in my other job, I work dealing with fraud. And the acronyms in that, I go in, I'm like, " What's just happened?" And I know the subject, I know the subject. So again, we're expecting people to identify themselves as not understanding, but also with vulnerability, if people are vulnerable, they might not know at that time, or they wouldn't want to ever admit that vulnerability, which is the other thing.
Kate Faulkner: I think that's a really important point.
Louise Baxter: I think it's 17% of people would say, " I've got a characteristic of vulnerability," but the (inaudible) acronym then, the Financial Conduct Authority are saying it's about 49% of us have got a characteristic that points to vulnerability. So people don't know that they're vulnerable at a particular time.
Kate Faulkner: And I'd actually say anybody buying a home is vulnerable because-
Louise Baxter: Yeah, I agree.
Kate Faulkner: ... most people buy, having a baby, getting divorced, getting married, somebody's died, they're in debt. Those are the-
Louise Baxter: Or they've got an inheritance. And again, that causes vulnerability, a cash influx.
Kate Faulkner: It does. So I think everybody should be treated in that vain. You're absolutely right.
Phil Spencer: Where does neurodivergence sit in all of this?
Louise Baxter: So neurodivergence, it's one in seven of us. So about over 15% of the latest statistics of people that are neurodivergent. So again, there's different ways that can cause vulnerability or not. It depends what you're doing. It depends where you are in your journey of neurodivergence in relation to what's happening, but it can cause situational or marketplace vulnerability, especially in relation to understanding the information that's provided to you. So there's different things that you can do. So for example, if you've got attention deficit, sometimes a very busy website will be so overwhelming, you just can't engage with it. Or if you are on the autistic spectrum, you might need communication in a very literal, direct way. But it's subjective. So with any of this, the vulnerability piece, whether it's neurodivergence, whether it's financial difficulties, lack of language skills, ask that person, " What do you need?" So if you strip it out, " What do you need? How can we help you"-
Phil Spencer: So as a broker listening to this, ask them what they need.
Louise Baxter: I would suggest you should do a bit of learning around what vulnerability looks like so that you might have some pointers around how you would identify it. But the minute you think, " Actually, I'm not sure this person's understanding this information or something I'm not sure about"; " What can we do to help you to ensure that you get what you need from this situation?" And it could be simple things like print it out, let them read it, print it out size 14 font double spacing on the paging so that you can read it easier. Time, do you want to invite somebody with you, a trusted person with you who can then take the information away and then explain it in a way that you can understand?
Phil Spencer: That'd be me.
Louise Baxter: Yeah. Me.
Kate Faulkner: But you know, I think this is really important, because what I'm quite shocked at is with some of the consumer duty work that's been happening-
Phil Spencer: Yes. We've talked on this podcast about consumer duty. Surely that's what this is about, isn't it?
Kate Faulkner: Well, it kind of is. And I'm not no expert on this, but the bit that horrifies me is that you can do explainers, but you can't give advice. And for me, if I wanted to change the world tomorrow, which I do, my big plea is that I want every first time buyer, before they do anything in the property space, to go and talk to a broker. Because there's 1. 2 million moves, as we've mentioned; every single one of those is different. None of them are same, why they're buying, why they're selling, the type of property, particularly for first time buyers. Good brokers are worth their weight in gold. I don't want them to fill in a calculator. I want them to go and see a broker, because that's the person who can hold their hand throughout all of it. And one that does the amazing work and takes on board the work that you've done, they can really help people out because I've done loads of things where I've been asked, " Oh, Kate, we want to sell properties without agents," and this. And I've run away from all of it, because you need a person. You need a face- to- face, I think, because a calculator tells you nothing, and-
Phil Spencer: Yeah. And we all live in our own unique circumstances in our own situations.
Kate Faulkner: Absolutely. And it's only by sitting with a broker that you can understand that. And I've just done a remortgage. And it was weird, because I literally just filled in a few boxes and it was all done. And I was more stressed by that than talking to a broker about it because I couldn't discuss anything.
Phil Spencer: You didn't know if it was the right thing.
Kate Faulkner: I wasn't allowed to, and I hated that. So for me, please, as a broker or a first time buyer, get together, sit, whether it's over Zoom or whatever it might be. But don't do it all online. I think that is really not the place for the work we do.
Phil Spencer: Louise, has consumer duty changed the conversation when it comes to vulnerability?
Louise Baxter: It has. There's still a way to go, I would say. So it's all about ensuring people get better outcomes, but there's still sometimes a disconnect with what we're saying and what people are actually hearing. I don't think we do enough of checking that people actually understand the information that we've given to them. So from a broker perspective, that would just be, " Can you explain the decision you've just made and why you've made it?" So to the consumer, so if a consumer goes, " I'm going to take that deal or I want that," it's just a case of questioning, " Can you tell me why?" And if that is, " Oh, because this, this and this," you can check their understanding of it to ensure that they get the best outcomes for them personally, because again, we're all going to make different decisions. Like my broker, I dealt with on WhatsApp. We would text all day because I was at work, I didn't have time to talk to him. It also meant I could go back and look at what he'd put so I had time to read it.
Kate Faulkner: Yeah. But at least you had a conversation one- to- one, and I think that's really what we mustn't lose with the work that's going on and with the AI and everything. That one- to- one conversation is so critical.
Phil Spencer: What else needs to change to improve the experience for first time buyers?
Kate Faulkner: So I think a lot of it for me just goes to real basics. They don't understand the costs and they don't understand when they have to pay things. Those are two absolutely critical things. They don't understand the significance of becoming self- employed and that their change in circumstance will cause a problem, or indeed, going back to mortgage insurance, the importance of having things like that. So for me, it's making sure that they have that broker by their side from the start. If you can get in with somebody before they start looking for property, you can help them. If you appear halfway through, I'm really sorry, we've lost them. It's about getting them at the start and making sure that they've understood those costs and when to pay, particularly because you've got things like lifetime ISAs, help- to- buy ISAs. There's been some very confusing messaging on those as well. So for me, life is much more simple, and just make sure they've got a broker by their side through WhatsApp or whatever it is, and have that one- to- one conversation.
Phil Spencer: Louise, anything else that needs to happen or is happening?
Louise Baxter: The language needs to be so simplified. You have to imagine that you are talking to somebody that has never done this before, and we are so bad at that. Even things like if you're talking about redemptions, if you went and did a poll outside on the street, most consumers will go, " I don't know what that is. I don't know what a redemption is. Don't know what it is."
Kate Faulkner: (inaudible) really.
Louise Baxter: But again, we have all of this, it's written in ... So even with my mortgage, for example, it came on thin paper, small print that I can't read properly because my eyesight's not particularly good. I don't want to have to take photos of things and then zoom in on them. So it's simplify the language, make it easier to read, so more spacing. It's really simple things: white spacing on pages, dark black font in a font that is really good for people that are dyslexic so that then that you're not having a situation where people aren't able to access it. But also allow that time for questioning as well. So it's be kind, it's ask questions, don't make assumptions about people as well. So if you think somebody's vulnerable, don't treat them like they're vulnerable. It's disempowering. So empathy. If you can't empathize, sympathize. And have those really open conversations where if you're with a broker, you cultivate that relationship that no question I ask is stupid. That's what ... I mean-
Kate Faulkner: It's a nice way of putting it.
Phil Spencer: Yes. How many times have I spoken to my broker and go, " Sorry about the silly question, but" ... And I work in the world, but I've still got silly questions. Yeah.
Louise Baxter: Yeah, and you will, because-
Phil Spencer: But she says it's not a silly question (inaudible) -
Louise Baxter: No question's silly. That's the thing, isn't it?
Kate Faulkner: But also, everything changes so often in our world. The way you bought a home last year isn't the same way you buy it this year; stamp duty changes, all of those things that we've mentioned before. There's a lot of external factors that influence how you buy and sell a home that the industry has no control over; interest rates, as you mentioned. And I think that's quite hard. And we understand the implications of it, but I think we have to know that, again, every time everybody moves, it's different. And you can move five years ago; it doesn't mean you'll understand how to move now.
Louise Baxter: Absolutely.
Kate Faulkner: And there are changes afoot, so that's really good. So we have some really exciting time-
Phil Spencer: Sure. And there's more coming.
Kate Faulkner: More coming. Yes. I couldn't be more excited.
Louise Baxter: I think if you were to treat everybody as if they were vulnerable, which they are, which we've said when they're buying a house, you'll design an inclusive service, which everyone will benefit from.
Kate Faulkner: Love that. Really love that.
Louise Baxter: So things like the Amazon Alexas, for example, they were designed with vulnerability at the start of that journey. Everybody benefits from having some sort of device like that in a house now. Zebra crossings, drop curbs. A bendy straw was designed for people in hospital to be able to drink. Who doesn't like a bendy straw? It's these sort of inclusive service provision things. If we start at the beginning of our journey thinking, " Right, everyone we deal with is vulnerable or potentially vulnerable," we will build it so that we'll all go, " That was easy. I understood that."
Phil Spencer: Yes. And it is only when somebody understands ... particularly, I mean, the process of buying a house is complicated enough, but the financial implications of buying a house. It is only when people understand it properly that they're in a better position to negotiate a better house price, they're in a better position to negotiate a better mortgage deal and lower interest rates if they understand what they need to do in order to pull that off. So it is absolutely crucial. So brokers are often the key people that buyers have a relationship hopefully through the whole process. And their role is absolutely pivotal, particularly for first time buyers. How do you think they can help buyers understand the process and also some of the language?
Louise Baxter: I think you have your key information document. I think there's one of those where you either simplify the language completely, but that's living in a utopia that's not going to happen. People are going to still use complicated language. But you can have an explanation sheet of all the important bits that you need to understand, which in my opinion, should be given to consumers at every touchpoint. So not just once. We give the information to them more than once to check their understanding. We also give it to them in different formats. Do you need it in a text message? Do you need it in a WhatsApp? Do you need it written down? Do you need it printed? Do you need me to have a face- to- face with you? Like you've said, some people prefer that sort of communication. So tailor your communication to the consumer, but make sure that they get that information on more than one occasion as well.
Phil Spencer: And that they understand it.
Louise Baxter: And that they understand it.
Phil Spencer: Kate, any thoughts from you just to finish off with?
Kate Faulkner: Yeah. So I think for me, it's about making sure that as a mortgage broker, you don't stay in your office because that's where first time buyers aren't living. So I'd be out at shopping centers, sitting there, " Have you got some questions," whatever it might be. And also you can do things like who are the biggest employers in your area? It might be the NHS. It might be Experian or something, big Barclays indeed. And make sure that you're going into those offices and offering them help because as it's one of the most stressful events, if you can take away that stress, then it's not going to affect their day job. So I think that's important. The second thing is, one of the things we're doing on the council is we're starting to prepare now consumer education, everything from start to finish of the buying and selling process, but it's cross communication that's all been signed off from everybody from lender through to removal. So how to move by 1: 00 PM, how to deal with fraud, which I'll now check with you if that's right.
Louise Baxter: Yeah, of course.
Kate Faulkner: So what we want to do is we want to make sure that, exactly as you said, they go to an agent, they get the same information bit by leaflet, however they want to receive it. They then go to the conveyancing lawyer, they get the same information. So we have to, as an industry, even though we're very siloed in our different sectors, we have to share consumer information and make sure that we all agree to say the same thing, because that can cause a lot of confusion. So any broker that wants to get involved, we'd love to have you, and that's what we're hoping to make the difference this year, is get some key information out and all work together to be saying the same things, same information, whatever format it may be in. If we can achieve that, wow, what a difference it'll make.
Phil Spencer: Are there things that you're seeing brokers do that are innovative that are sort of changing it up, or any thoughts, suggestions on what they might do?
Kate Faulkner: Well, I do a lot of shows, things we used to do them before the pandemic, and I think that's a great way to reach people.
Phil Spencer: As in a roadshow, or ...
Kate Faulkner: Well, you go to first time buyer shows or you can do your own show. So if you've got a reasonable broker office or if you work with agents, just doing small evenings. We've done that a lot where you might only get 10 people around the table. But the lovely thing about our industry, if you get 10 people around a table and they get a good experience, they're going to tell another 100. So you start, and you can start with small groups and then you can build them bigger. But that for me is the thing that I love, is when I go out and about and I go to shows or I go to events for first time buyers, and there the brokers are. And they're talking about it and they're explaining things ideally before people move. That's what we've got to get good at, is don't wait until they want to move, because actually, you might need to speak to them three years beforehand. And those are the ones that I think do the best and get the best customers, because you've already trained them before they turn up at your door with the property.
Louise Baxter: I really liked what you said about telling stories-
Kate Faulkner: A story's good, every time.
Louise Baxter: Because it makes it relatable every time and relevant and memorable. So I'll remember that story. So it's memorable, which makes it relevant to our lives rather than something that's beyond us that we don't currently need to know.
Phil Spencer: In a similar vein, I talk about making decisions in the heat of battle. The heat of battle when you're house hunting, is you found a house and you're negotiating a price and you're right involved in it. Last thing you want to do then is start understanding a mortgage and making those decisions.
Kate Faulkner: 100%, yeah.
Phil Spencer: You want to have done that months before in a really calm, quiet, considered way.
Louise Baxter: So the work that I do in fraud, it's called a hot state. So the criminals are really ... and I'm not saying it's the same, but it's a very similar state. You get pushed into a position where there's scarcity, you've got to make a decision quickly. You're in a high pressure situation. So if you get somebody contacting you, a criminal who's trying to say that they're your bank, for example, who's an imposter fraud, they will be like, " Your account's been hijacked. We need to move your money quickly."
Kate Faulkner: (inaudible) yeah.
Louise Baxter: So when you're buying a house, you're pushed into a similar mental health state. So it's a hot state because you've got to move quick or you might lose that particular house: " Oh, we need to lock that mortgage in before the interest rates are relooked at next month." So there's all of these things, which means our decision- making may not be as objective or as sound as if we can have a moment to consider the information and understand it all properly. So like you say, mortgage before you are in that hot state.
Phil Spencer: Coming back to Kate's point, yeah. Get onto your broker nice and early.
Kate Faulkner: Absolutely. And if you've got that relationship, the first person you should call hopefully when you're being pushed into something or feel under pressure is the broker. And whenever I talk to people, I'm just like, " Hold." Never make an offer when you're panicked.
Louise Baxter: Yeah, take a breath.
Kate Faulkner: Take a breath. Don't care what anybody's telling you, because just know over time, if it's the right property, you'll get it. So step back.
Phil Spencer: You heard it here first.
Kate Faulkner: Absolutely.
Phil Spencer: Thank you both so much. An exciting year ahead. Lots to achieve.
Kate Faulkner: It is. Well, thanks for having us.
Louise Baxter: Thanks for having me.
Phil Spencer: That was Louise Baxter, consumer champion and co- CEO of Consumer Friend, and Kate Faulkner, who's chair of the Home Buying and Selling Council and founder of propertychecklists. co. uk. Just to point out, we're recording this on the 2nd of February 2026. The views expressed by myself and external guests are not necessarily the views of Barclays. Thanks for listening to Mortgage Insider from Barclays. I'm Phil Spencer. If you're listening to the podcast, you can now watch the video on Spotify. Subscribe to Mortgage Insider on your favorite podcast app. Join us again next month. Hope to see you then.