Angelica: Hey there, I'm Angelica Bell. And this is Rewirement, where we're sharing inspirational stories and ideas to help you achieve the retirement you want. We're all individuals with our own passions, plans, and dreams, and that doesn't change in later life. And that's why I'm chatting to the experts for smart, financial, and practical steps to make your vision a reality. Time and time again, the colorful retirees we meet tell us how important their friendships, relationships, and social networks are for an enjoyable retirement. And that's something we'll hear more about today as we hear from two LGBT+ retirees on how they made the switch from their working life to a happy and fulfilled later life. But this isn't the case for every LGBTQ+ person in the UK. If you're worried about how you might make the move, you're not alone. Issues such as isolation, loneliness, and discrimination can be a cause of concern if you don't fit the heterosexual image of retirement. But today we're playing our part in this conversation so we can support one another and feel supported ourselves, whatever our vision for later life. I'll be joined by Legal & General's Meg Dickens and Matthew Riley from Tonic Housing. But first, let's meet two more colorful retirees. In his own words, Patrick aims to make the most of every day and every year of his retirement. He was approaching 40 with a house, a wife, and two children, when he came out and his marriage ended. At that point in life, he needed to think again about what retirement was going to look like for him. We started talking about how after 37 years of teaching, he made his love of travel a central part of his retirement plans.
Patrick: I've always had a love of travel. I've always wanted to travel. So when the opportunity came at 60, when I retired, my ambition of going to Australia and New Zealand was fulfilled. That was number one on my travel bucket list. And I was there for six months and did the most amazing things, saw the most amazing places, made lots of new friends, many of whom I'm still in touch with. I've been back three times since. So the travel thing, I've traveled to many countries in Europe. I've been to Singapore, to China, to south America, North America, been more proactive in some of the groups that have supported me throughout my years, so including my own local LGBT forum in (Berry) .
Angelica: So would you say that being single and heading into retirement, it sort of raises different issues and you have to look at it in it with a different perspective?
Patrick: Yeah, I was married and I've had a male partner here living with me, but I have not had a partner here now for over 12 years. But one of the things I had to think about was starting my life again in a way when I came out as a gay man. So things like having my own place and starting again from scratch, starting a mortgage, and that all impacted on my retirement potentially, because they were going to be expenses there to meet that I wouldn't have had to cater for otherwise. You know? So yeah, I've been quite savvy with my money. I think I've worked out my life retirement plan quite well so that I can do the kinds of things I want to do to be able to enjoy my life.
Angelica: With some people, with life change comes fear, especially when you're getting older. You like that sort of security of knowing what's going to happen, isn't it?
Patrick: Yeah. There's a certain element of apprehension there. You wonder how things are going to turn out. But as I said, I've received good financial advice. I mean, unfortunately my late ... my father died about nine years ago and my mum had already passed away. So when Dad died, some money was left to me and my two brothers. And my brother Doug was still here. But that financial benefit, if you call it a benefit, allowed me to actually pay off any money I owed on my mortgage. And by that time of course, I was getting my teacher's pension with a lump sum, etc. Good, sound financial advice, which I took. I set myself up so that I'm now comfortable in life and I can continue to do the things I want, paid off for. I've no real overheads so life is good. People are a lot worse off than me even though I'm single.
Angelica: Now, what suggestions would you make to anybody approaching retirement as a single gay person?
Patrick: It depends on the nature of the person. I think, first of all, you need to think about your financial situation. In fact, a good friend of mine was asking me a couple of weeks ago ... I'm in a gay walking group, whether you're a gay man or any other guy, whether you're single or married, I think you need to get good, sound financial advice. I had a certain pot of money that I needed to use well. But the other thing, apart from that, I'm an active social guy. So if you're that kind of person, there are lots and lots of activities. We're blessed, and greater Manchester is a very, very friendly, gay- friendly, LGBT city. And I've been involved in lots of LGBT organizations here, support groups, some of which I still go to. I line dance with a gay group. I walk with a gay group. They're not exclusively gay. But I also do theater and all sorts of stuff. I think you need to have something connected to your own interests. If you like art, there's an art group. If you like reading, there's a literature group that you can go to and poetry groups. So I think you need to try and think what am I interested in? How can I get involved in the stuff that's actually there?
Angelica: And I think what you're saying there, Patrick, is to find hobbies and find a community where you can sort of immerse yourself in and find that camaraderie and that support.
Patrick: You need a good support network. And I have that. I'm lucky to have ... I have some close family who care about me deeply. I've got a really, really good set of friends and the groups I'm involved with, they keep me going. They're the life and soul of my existence now really, something to look forward to. And it gives my week a structure.
Angelica: I think structure is a great word, really good. Now what about other plans for retirement? Because Patrick, you're not a couch potato. Those are your words. So I know you must have something up your sleeve. What are you looking forward to?
Patrick: The main focus is going to be continuing my travels. I mean, there are still so many places on my list. Last year I was in Asia when the pandemic hit. I was in Vietnam and I had to come home with the rest of the tour group from there. So I want to complete that. That's high on the list to go to, complete the Vietnam, Cambodia, (inaudible) to Japan. I have a number of places that I still yearn to see and long to see before I get too inert to be able to do long flights and so on. continue with the activities that I enjoy now. I love my line dancing. I've been line dancing for 25 years, and I do two groups a week of that. I do five hours of line dancing a week, one with a gay group, one with a group here, a local group here. And I'm becoming more and more involved in my local LGBT forum as well.
Angelica: Now, Patrick, like you said, you have been blessed with a teacher's pension, your mortgage is paid off. What other things have you got in place in your retirement to make sure that your financially secure?
Patrick: Obviously I have my state pension, so that's a go to, every month anyway. So that's the basis. And then the teacher's pension is there. But when I took my teacher's pension, what I had to think about was, do I want a reduced teacher's pension? The options were reduced teacher pension, a larger lump sum, which I could then invest with advice, or do I want a bigger teacher's pension, smaller lump sum? Which again, I would have invested. But I felt I was comfortable enough to survive ... with no mortgage, to survive on a teacher's pension plus a state pension every month. So I made the decision to take the bigger lump sum. As I said, the financial advice I received from an independent financial advisor who was recommended, and the firm had been excellent, was really, really good. And I can check my money, how it's doing. And I know that they ... even despite the pandemic and the 2008 crash and so on, my money's is doing well enough to allow me to do the kinds of things in life that I want to do and hopefully in future years, look after my grandson, see if my kids need anything. So I think ... I feel financially secure to be able to get (inaudible) .
Angelica: What about a fallback for travel, health, insurance? Have you thought about that and taking that into account?
Patrick: Yes. It's actually a big thing in my life because I was diagnosed HIV positive about two and a half years ago, at the age of 68. I was actually ... when I was diagnosed, the consultant actually said, " Wow, you're one of the oldest people we've ever diagnosed with this." With their help, I have dealt with it. I'm now totally virus free and have been for two years. But when I'm planning travel, I have to think about that, particularly because I take daily medication. So that's a big thing in my life. So traveling for maybe the length of time I've done before, six months, may be a bit difficult now. It may be that I only have to travel say to Australia for three months or so, which is still fantastic. But on the whole, I'm a very healthy guy. I don't think I look 71 anyway. Once or twice, my GP has said, " How old are you?" And I said, "About 70, 70." He said, " Just rein back a little bit." He said, " You do more in your week," he said, " than I do." He said, " (inaudible) ." So never say never. There's no such word as never. I'm very happy with my life, with my friendship circle, with my activities. I can't complain. I'm at peace with it.
Angelica: I have to say, Patrick's inspired me with his wise words and outgoing attitude. Even if you're not a very active or social person, if you're single in retirement, it sounds like sharing experiences with like- minded people is a great way to pepper the structure and create a sense of community all of us need from time to time. I also admire how Patrick has made the most of his pensions and the money from his father to make sure he has a solid foundation from which to enjoy his retirement and do those amazing adventures. He also told me about the time he went, skydiving and white water rafting. Next, we're going to talk to Annie. She's been with her partner Belinda for 25 years and they live in Stoke Newington in London. Now, Annie, I understand you're a bit of a go getter? My sort of girl.
Annie: Well, I was a wild child in the '60s. And in fact, I live in Stoke Newington in London, as you know. And the reason why I came back here is because I squatted here in the '60s. But it was very, very, very good experience and I wanted to come back and relive some of that freedom.
Angelica: Well, I know you love that part of the world, and that when I say you have a zest for life, it's because you are active. And I'd love you to tell me a bit about retirement life for you with your partner, your family, your community, because you really just throw yourself into something, don't you?
Annie: Yeah, well, I've always felt very strongly about people and communities and causes, I suppose. I mean, my working life was mainly in the health service. I managed various services in hospitals that often had a mixture between mental health and physical health, which became an interest. Did that for quite a lot of years. Then I've now been in a long- term relationship with my partner Belinda for 25 years. And we've moved around the country, ending up in London just because we fancied a move and fancied getting to different places. And I actually left the health service sort of in my fifties. And we fostered children for quite a lot of years. I suppose I retired from paid work when I was 60. I'm 70 now. And since then, I've been throwing myself into working around older LGBTQ+ people with a charity called Opening Doors and with our national helpline switchboard. You're right, I do throw myself into things and I suppose that's what I love. I love being around people and I'm very fortunate to be able to choose to do that within the communities that I feel aligned to and where my life is. And London's a very good place for that. London is a very good place to be retired. It's good. It's good from the volunteer perspective, which I do a lot of. We have good health services here. I can swim free in the local pool, I have free drugs, but only the legal sort. Well, I'm very fortunate in that I have several pensions that have come from various aspects of my life. So in fact, I'm extremely comfortable. We don't have a mortgage anymore. And that's partly because we were left a bit of family money, both of us, just enough to polish the mortgage off. And my partner is still working. So yeah, we're fine. We don't have very ambitious needs in terms of money. We have a four bedroom terrace house. It's very nice. We supplement our income by letting them out with Airbnb when we can. So money isn't an issue for us really. And that is a very blessed position to be in. That means I can help my ... I have a daughter who is also a lesbian and she's 30 ... coming up 39 this year and lives in London and they've got two kids so I'm able to help them out, which is great. So, no, money isn't a problem, but it wasn't planned really.
Angelica: So this is ... this just happened?
Annie: Well, it's money that came to be via different means that I didn't plan. In fact, I was hopeless at planning really. So, as a younger woman, I worked for the health service and when I got pregnant with Lucy, I cashed my pension in for the NHS to buy a washing machine, which was a completely ridiculous thing to do. So I signed out of the NHS pension scheme, which was completely crazy. I signed back in, but by that time ... it's good job I haven't had to rely on my NHS pension really. So I do have an NHS pension, and I do have a fairly big private pension, and I do have my state pension.
Angelica: You've given one piece of advice already. Don't opt out of pensions.
Annie: Oh no! Don't do that. I never even thought about the fact that I would get on, get old and I'd need ... and apart from that, the whole independence thing, for women particularly, it's just massively important that we maintain our financial independence, because you never know what's going to happen.
Angelica: We could say that you're one of the lucky ones then, because it doesn't always work out like that for people.
Annie: It doesn't work out that, well at all. And I've got a big network of women friends who like me were involved in women ... in activism during the '80s and the '90s. They dedicated their time to ... quite often to working with their communities and not having a professional life. I was lucky to have a professional qualification. I could always get a job. And they didn't contribute to ... they didn't get occupational pensions through their jobs and have ended up for ... in their retirement, in not good financial situation. Not good. Often at the behest of private landlords and on benefits. And yet women who've done masses with their lives. So yeah, that is a good message. It's a good message for all women, to think about that and if you can, plan for it because you need money as you get older.
Angelica: Living in Stoke Newington, I know we jested about you squatting there before and having this great lifestyle, but you have this wonderful community there, don't you? And it's important for anybody thinking about retiring to have that backup, that framework, to be able to walk out the door and say, " Hey," and know that there's people there, isn't it?
Annie: Well, it's massively important. And that's ... through the work that Opening Doors London does, that's entirely their agenda, which is around isolation and loneliness. What we do is get people together in groups. We've been running something like 50 social groups a month in London to get people together because that's what we need to do. We need to create social networks for ourselves. And sometimes those have been fractured as our lives progress. And we get on. Relationships break up. We might find that we've been in very sort of ... relationships where we've only needed each other or we've not kept those connections with other people. Interestingly enough, I think women are better than this than men. Women are better at maintaining their networks, and working on it, and developing it. We have many more men as members of Opening Doors, we've got 2, 300 members, then we have women. They've found themselves in much more difficult situations, partly because they have such a tough time with HIV and AIDS particularly.
Angelica: Well, let's go into more depth about some of the particular issues that you see for the LGBTQ community who are reaching retirement age and have to navigate their way through it. What have you noticed? And what are the particularly strong messages we can talk about now?
Annie: Well, we've mentioned one and that's the loneliness and isolation thing. I think the other thing is the interface that everybody has to navigate as we get older, and that's health and social care, having to be open about your life with people that you don't know who might come into your house to give you personal care, or when you go into hospital to be assumed that you're heterosexual and for people to treat you as if you are, and to talk about ... to ask me where my husband is or anything like that. It's really, really tricky. And in fact, for our communities to face those difficult situations, quite often it means going back in the closet, which is not a good thing. So I think to have someone to advocate with you, for you, to have someone who's a friend, or even someone who's part of a charity to help you along with those difficult things, is pretty crucial. As a charity, we've advocated for a woman who was prayed over by a carer who came into her house, someone who had a carer who came in who wouldn't touch her in the shower because they knew she was a lesbian. I mean, there's lots and lots of these situations. It's not something that's tackled in terms of training for health and social care stuff. That's a massive issue. I think the advocacy issue is something that we will work on as a charity, because we've certainly learned through COVID that people have been left very stranded, having to deal with things, whether it's housing or benefits or health issues, or going into hospital and having nobody actually to look for them. I think advocacy is a big thing. That's the other issue. Where do you go to find someone who really understands your world? Who understands your background or the history of your communities? It's very much easier to go and sit and talk to someone you don't have to go and explain yourself when you walk in the door. You can build up a trusting relationship much quicker. So mental health is a big one.
Angelica: So let's talk about you and how you have set yourself goals.
Annie: Yes, well, just to say ... I mean, I retired, as I say, about 10 years ago now. I've been very involved in volunteering, have a very big circle of women friends, and the swimming things. Well, I've got two replacement hips. So my health hasn't been exactly tip top, but I try not to let it get in the way. In fact, Monday is probably not a great day for me to do this with you, because I've just done an hour's yoga. And I tell you, it's a mixture of thinking, oh, well, this is good to be doing and it's good for me, but it's really depressing because you'd come across all these bits of your body that don't work as well as they used to do.
Angelica: You're joking. You've done yoga already, and you've got two replaced hips. After this, I'm going to get on it.
Annie: But the swimming thing is quite fun because last year, before COVID struck, I had planned to go and swim in all the different lidos in London. Turns out it's 13 or 14 of them, all the outdoor ones, because I love to swim outdoors. In fact, a friend bought me a t- shirt with all the names of the lidos on the back, with a little square that you could tick when you had done it. So I've now got a plan to do that. Five of them I can cycle to in North London and the rest I've got to go on public transport.
Angelica: Annie's looking forward to staying active with her long haired dachshunds, as well as meeting up with friends again after the pandemic restrictions. She said it's really important to keep up with your network of friends in later life. Sound advice there from two people who are very active and outgoing in their communities. So what about you? What's your vision of later life? For some of the questions you might want to explore and for some sound tips on organizing your finances, I'm joined by Meg Dickens from Legal & General and Matthew Riley from Tonic Housing. So I'm going to start with you Matthew, because our guests are both very socially active people, but as you well know, not everyone is like that. And we heard from Annie how loneliness and isolation are issues that older LGBTQ people can face. How is Tonic Housing addressing this for different people?
Matthew: So Tonic was originally founded in 2014 to address issues of loneliness and isolation of older LGBT people and the need for specific housing and support provision. So since then, we've been working really hard to make LGBT+ affirming retirement communities a reality. And in March, you may have seen our announcement. We announced our first scheme will be opening in the coming months. We are a community led organization as well. So rather than just be an LGBT+ friendly, we want our services to be actively affirming of the lives, histories, needs, and desires of LGBT+ people.
Angelica: Yeah. Well, Meg, you're listening to what Matthew is saying there and how did Legal & General spot a problem with the way we still hear retirement experiences talked about, especially from this group in society?
Meg: We spent the last few years constantly talking to people, either in formal research, or we've run kind of informal tea and chat sessions about their hopes and dreams and aspirations of the future. So we're constantly keeping a watch on what's happening with our audience. And we've learned a huge number of things along the way. But one of the things that's really hit home is that retirement is just not one homogenous kind of bunch of people. The reality is very different for different people. Even the word retirement now means very different things to different people. And traditionally, certainly from a marketing perspective, the way in which retirement's been talked about and certainly the way in which it's been depicted is really stereotypical. So the heterosexual couple in white linen walking along the beach. We've seen that so many times. Or riding bikes or drinking coffee at their laptop. There is some real stereotypes that we've set up about peoples socio- demographic profile or their living conditions or their level of financial support or their sexuality, whatever those things are. We want to make sure that everything we do is bringing to light what real retirement really looks like, and that people have got individual needs and therefore they want things to relate to.
Angelica: Yeah. Well, Matthew, I can see how the charity sector is vital and plays a key role in supporting the LGBTQ community, especially with what we're talking about.
Matthew: Yeah, it is for sure. And I think often we do see public services that are left underfunded, or kind of not able to cater to a lot of our community as well, which is why organizations like Open Doors London, Tonic, LGBT Switchboard, for example, a lot of those are like (inaudible) , especially to all the LGBT people. With ODL, Open Doors London, specifically, we do work quite closely with them. And one of the things we've done with them, with our first scheme, is they've come in and trained all of the care staff and all of the team on site. And that's kind of just one of the ways the charity sector is able to import into the housing sector specifically to ensure that it is inclusive, and it is LGBT aware, and fit into the LGBT affirmative bracket that we're trying to broaden and make much bigger and make the norm. Because yeah, we've kind of way past the point of LGBT friendly at this point. No one wants to be just like friendly or tolerated. It needs to way, way, way be past that.
Angelica: Well, we heard how Patrick had to rebuild his finances when his lifestyle changed in his late thirties. Fortunately, I mean, he had his two pensions and also an inheritance from his father, which really helped. But what should people consider to help them be prepared financially for retirement, Meg?
Meg: I think Patrick and Annie had some real level of security in retirement from the inheritance that they received, but also they had pension savings. But I think their stories highlighted a few key points about retirement planning that are worth considering. Firstly, I think it's important not to underestimate the importance of starting to save for the future as early as possible. And I know that that's really difficult, certainly when you're in your twenties and thirties. People have a huge amount of expense early in life from saving for a deposit on a house to taking care of a family or mortgages. But putting small amounts away into a pension over the long term can make a massive difference because of the effects of compound interest over time. It really does lead to a much, much bigger pot. Secondly, I think, again, their stories highlighted that you never know what life's going to throw at you. And it's really important to have a level of financial independence. The last 18 months, it's been clear to see that COVID impacted a huge number of people. And there are some populations that have been more heavily impacted than others. So the (FCA) have recently launched research that said that 60% of retirement between March and October last year were as a direct result of COVID. A lot of people lost their jobs. A lot of people were on furlough and found it really difficult. And even our own research highlighted that a lot of people have had to bring forward their retirement plans. So you never quite know what life's going to throw at you.
Angelica: Now, some people will be in committed relationships and marriages as they retirement. Others, like Patrick, will be single. So what additional costs should you plan for doing retirement solo? Because it is a different prospect, isn't it?
Meg: Totally. Living on your own, as many people will realize, is more expensive than living with another person or people. That's because you're covering all the costs in your income and savings from your rent and your mortgage payments to utility bills, insurance, as well as food and shopping costs. It can also be more expensive to travel. So Patrick had obviously a whale of a time in terms of traveling, but often you can end up paying single person supplements. The costs are more expensive. You also ... and one of the things that clearly is important is as people get older, they may need additional help and support if they haven't got a partner or family members to care for them. So these are the particular issues that you won't necessarily have thought through and planned for, but could seriously affect the amount of income, disposable income certainly, in later life. I think has all of these things kind of highlight, you never know what's around the corner and therefore it's really important for people to try and ascertain some level of financial security so that you can afford to even meet the basics. I mean, clearly if you want to travel, then that requires a certain level of financial freedom that you need to budget and plan for. So again, it's important to think about the kind of retirement you want. Try and think, do you want to have the retirement where you're able to go to the cinema once a month or do you want to go once a week? Do you want to shop at Marks &* Spencer or are you quite happy shopping at Tesco? It's trying to really think about what kind of future you want for your money and planning from that basis.
Angelica: Matthew, Annie mentioned also Opening Doors London, which is a charity L& G support. And they're working to tackle the loneliness isolation issue. But she also mentioned how discrimination and past experiences can leave a troubling legacy for people later in life. What support is on offer to help LGBT people with their mental health later?
Matthew: Unfortunately there isn't enough support out there for LGBT people generally, but especially later in life, and especially when it comes to mental health. As Annie mentioned, when people have lived with decades of discrimination, especially in the age group that we're talking about, you've got people who have had their homosexuality criminalized by the legal system, or have gone through conversion therapy, all of these things don't just disappear when the law changes. These are embedded in people's memories and that sort of trauma doesn't disappear overnight. It takes a lot of untangling and unlearning to feel kind of at peace or even vaguely happy with yourself and in the society. It requires a much bigger shift, not just from the mental health side of things, but from all of the different industries that we're talking about at the minute. So housing, finance, health care, all of those things kind of need to be much more joined up in their way of thinking. The positive side of it is that there are a range of organizations working really hard to make these shifts right now. And we are beginning to see positive change. In the immediate, we've already mentioned kind of Opening Doors London, but you've got LGBT Switchboard, you've got Age UK. All of these organizations are really upping their game when it comes to LGBT inclusivity and also mental health as well. So I think combining those things, they're the immediate support. And then the more longer term comes from the much kind of bigger policy change that's needed, which it's happening but I think it just needs to happen faster.
Angelica: Do you think a lot has been learned through this period for the LGBT community and the support services available?
Matthew: Yeah, I think we've obviously learned connectivity is a huge issue, especially when you engage with people that have not been brought up on their smartphones. For LGBT people especially, when it comes to like- minded thinking safe spaces, inclusive support, all of that is a vital resource. We know community is really, really important as well. So when you take away the physical interaction, if someone can't engage digitally, you're further isolating someone that was already kind of at the edges and the fringes of that community anyway. I think with the lockdowns, we were thrown so quickly into a digital way of communicating that many people felt more isolated if they weren't digitally confident. So I think it's been a time for learning within organizations and different sectors to make sure the way it will be and as inclusive as we can be to make sure that we're reaching everyone that needs to access our services. And that means going the extra mile sometimes whether it's handwriting letters or making sure you give them a phone number, because some people don't want to video call, or just all of those little considerations that really make the human element of it a big difference.
Angelica: Some incredibly important conversations. And there's clearly a lot more to be said on the challenges faced by over 1 million people in the UK. It's time we had these conversations and supported everyone to have the dream retirement they deserve. Communities, charities, social services, businesses, and organizations all have a part to play in making sure we challenge prejudice, provide support and community to give everyone a happy and secure retirement. You can find out more about planning as well as links to those websites we've mentioned at legalandgeneral. com/ retirement. Next time, we're hearing from people who've made the leap with a dream location later in life. Whether you're considering sunnier climes, life on the water, or something else, we've got brilliant stories and smart tips to help you do it in style.
Speaker 6: We looked at what finances we had. We saw, okay, (inaudible) sold the house, and how much a boat would cost, how much it would cost to run the boat. And we said, yeah, that would work.
Angelica: I'm Angelica Bell. Follow Rewirement on your favorite platform and I'll catch you next time.