Suze: May 8th, 2025. Welcome everybody to the Women and Money podcast.
KT: And everyone smart enough to listen.
Suze: I was just gonna say, did I just see you almost interrupt me there?
KT: Yes, because this is Ask KT and Suze anything Thursday.
Suze: And what else is today? What else is today besides May 8th? It's the day before May 9th.
KT: Oh, Suze, you're so corny. These jokes are so corny. May 9th is my brother Bob's birthday, and he's in Key West, and I know what he's doing with his wife.
Suze: Drinking.
KT: Margaritaville, baby, here we come.
Suze: Does he drink a lot of margaritas?
KT: You know what, I think that he has a cocktail or two on his birthday, but they love Key West. They love they and Jimmy Buffett. They love Key West.
Suze: All right, but. We have May 8th today, May 9th tomorrow, and the day after May 9th is...
KT: Our anniversary.
Suze: May 10th.
KT: One our anniversaries. We have 3 or 4,
Suze: yes, but this one May 10th. Is the day that we kissed, kissed
KT: We don't, OK, too much information. Let's get on with the questions.
Suze: Right, but it is the day.
KT: This is the May 10th was the first kiss Suze ever gave me, and I'll never forget it. And that's all I'm gonna say, everybody.
Suze: All right, fine. All right, bye. Happy anniversary, KT.
KT: Early.
Suze: 25 years and counting. We're going on 25.
KT: What are we gonna do?
Suze: I know what...
KT: You know what, everybody send to the wall suggestions of what you think we should do, how Suze and KT should celebrate their 25 magnificent glorious years together.
Suze: We're starting 25. I know exactly what I want to do.
KT: Well, well, you're gonna reveal it now?
Suze: No, it's gonna be a surprise.
KT: Ok. All right.
Suze: Now, before we begin, uh, we kind of already begun, but that's besides the point. I want all of you to go to the Women and Money Community app, and I want you to go to the wall. If you don't have it, you can download it at Google Play or Apple Apps to search women and money, and right there on the wall. The other day I posted the most complete explanation. Answers to all your possible questions, resources that you will need to know if you have student loans, especially if you have student loans now that are in default because starting just the other day. And there are 5.2 million of you out there. The government has the legal authority to absolutely garnish your wages, your Social Security checks, your tax refund. Everything now, so you have to know if you're in default what to do if you're not in default what you should do if you are part of the save program what you should do if you have a parent plus loan, what you should do, and if you go to the wall, just look for it, you will find everything you need to know, OK. All right, what you got for me?
KT: I've, I've got first, um, a letter from Rita. I love this. Rita is someone that sent a photograph. I wish we were on a video so I could show you all. Rita is sitting in front of her sewing machine with a quilt with the biggest smile on her face and her beautiful, beautiful, shiny white hair, and she just looks like the picture of health at 86 years old, and she sent this, Dear Suze, It's been a little over a year since we corresponded. You gave me permission to travel, and I did. This year has found me in many countries, including China, Indonesia, Antarctica, and most of the Mediterranean and Europe. Thank you for your encouragement. I am now 86. I have a little less money, but I am extremely well traveled. You're encouragement over the years, your sharing of knowledge and your support of women have been some of the reasons you are successful and loved. I will continue to follow you and tell others to listen to Susie. Please hang in there. We need you now more than ever. God bless you, Rita. And Rita, this is KT telling you I'm so happy that Susie approved you to travel the world because you did it.
Suze: And she took her aid with her as well.
KT: Oh, I didn't know that. So she, she and Suze were corresponding because she, she, I know that you gave her permission. She's been writing to you.
Suze: Yes, but that also, so Rita, maybe we'll take a picture of her email that she sent of her picture, but anyway. Here's the scoop, what you need to understand from that email. If you were to write in to ask Suze podcast podcast at gmail.com. You have a question. You want to know something, you want to vent. You want to tell me that I was wrong. I don't care what. You just never know when you will hear from me directly, and I can tell you, the past few days, she's I had been rampant with very long responses to quite a few women that wrote me back and said, I can't believe it. I can't believe it. You answered every one of my questions and some anyway, all right, KT.
KT: All right. The next email, Suze, kind of touched my heart. I really love this couple, says Dear Suze and KT. I've been listening to you religiously since the pandemic. It has been my favorite thing to tell my husband that I'm taking off on a walk and going to Suze School. My husband and I are in our mid to late 40s. We have always been savers. When all of our peers were spending on frivolous things, we were carefully and cautiously piling money away. We have no children and have never owned a home, never thought it made financial sense since we had rent controlled housing. Now this is the part, Suze, that made me get choked up a little bit. She said, I'm writing because my husband has stage 4 cancer and may not survive more than 5 to 10 years. Our biggest dream has been to own a home together. We were considering buying a $1.2 million dollar home later this year. And we are wondering if it makes sense to do so. I would like to create a nurturing environment for us together. I envision us cooking and gardening, and my hope is that this home can bring us comfort during this uncertain time. Does this make sense? Should we continue to rent at $3000 a month and let our money grow in the stock market, or should we buy outright in cash? Why this is especially strategic is that his condition may cause an early retirement for us both. I'm not really willing to work all the time when I don't know how long he'll be around, and I want to make sure I spend as much time with him as possible, said.
Suze: Yes, it is, um. Here's what I would say to you, and I just want you to think about this. You say that your biggest dream has been to own a home together. I'm sorry, my love, but I need to correct you. Your biggest dream now is that you have as many great years left with the love of your life. And may those years be stress free. Now I know medical problems can cause tremendous stress, but guess what else can cause stress. A home that you thought was going to be your dream home all of a sudden needs a new roof, a new refrigerator. It's flooding, it's this, it's that, a house, I can tell you, cause obviously you haven't owned a home yet. I would honestly say that there is no bigger stress in our life, would you say so, KT, than our home.
KT: I can tell her for sure we used to have 5 homes, right,
Suze: and things are always breaking things always need to be done, things always have to be replaced and it's seriously expensive. I just want you to think about that, so you say. I would like to create a nurturing environment for us together. I want you to stop for a second. I want you to think back on all the years that you've lived in this $3000 a month rent controlled apartment. Were those not nurturing years? Were those not years that brought tremendous love to you and freedom, because unlike your friends, you were saving money, you were possibly going on trips, you were doing all kinds of things you envision us cooking and gardening together. Did you never cook with your husband in your $3000 a month rental? Gardening or you can do what KT does right click and grow.
KT: CLick and grow right in, in, in the home I don't have a garden in.
Suze: Right, the Florida one. So anyway, the question at hand is should you continue to rent at $3000 a month and let our money grow in the stock market. Or should you buy outright in cash? Number one, I'm going to tell you I don't think you should be spending $1.2 million and buying a home outright right now. Not only can something happen earlier to your husband, I need you to think, what if something happened to you? That would bring tremendous stress to your husband at a time that that's not what he needs in his life right now to heal. So it's not the $1.2 million that I'm worried about. It's the closing costs, the moving cost, the furnishing costs, everything that's needed, the property tax, the insurance, the maintenance, all those three things alone will probably run you about $41,000 a year, about 5000 or $6000 more. Than what you're paying right now in rent and it's not just that. When you own a home today, you better take into consideration floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, and so forth. So no, I wouldn't spend $1.2 million. You want to buy a smaller home? OK, but I want you to get this. If you left that $1.2 million just sitting in the markets averaging an 8% annual average rate of return, and you did so for 20 years when you were in your sixties. Do you know that that money would be worth approximately $5.6 million? So here's the question at hand. Are you willing to spend $5.6 million of future money? For what you say is your dream. Your dream is being with your husband, loving him up, having a great time, and having the freedom also to travel. So sorry, sweetheart, I would not be buying a home if I were you. All right.
KT: OK, next question is from Sarah.
Suze: Were you surprised that was my answer?
KT: A little bit, but not, but knowing you, it didn't make sense to me that they were gonna do this when he's got... you know, 5 to 10 years or less, but the point is it wasn't even him, it's her it's her, that's right. OK, so next question is from Sarah. Thank you for all you do to teach us. I've been driving. Suze can relate to this question, everybody listen up. I've been driving my 2003 Honda Accord. Since 2007, and I have gotten used to a no car payment. I'm finally after 227,000 miles in need of a new car. Those Hondas are really good. So I've been preapproved for a $25,000 car loan around 5.95%. However, I'm debating whether I should go ahead with the loan or take money penalty free from my Roth IRA. I talked to my financial adviser. He said I could remove the money from my wroth as long as it was in the account for 5 years and only took out the principal. I am 47.
Suze: He did tell her that, did he?
KT: Yeah, wait, I'm 47...
Suze: Let me at this one.
KT: Wait, wait, wait. I'm 47 years old. I have around 400,000 in my retirement accounts depending on the day. She said she has 13,000 liquid and cash. She makes a good living, about 90,000 a year, and she puts $750 per paycheck in her savings and 416 in my retirement. So at the end of the day, the question is, Suze, what do you suggest I do take out the car loan or remove money from my Roth IRA without penalty? All right, everybody, I can see it now. Here we go. That financial adviser better get ready. Big slap down on the way.
Suze: First of all, my dear Sarah, that is the worst. That is the worst financial advice I've ever heard in my life that you could take it from your Roth IRA as long as it has been in there at least 5 years wrong. And it was principle only. Your original contributions you could take out any time you want regardless of your age or how long the account has been open. The 5 year period does not apply on any level to your original contribution, so the mere fact that he said that tells me he doesn't know what he's talking about #1. #2, if you were to take money out of your Roth IRA. You can never make it back. It's not like you can put it back, so you have to look at, right, that you said that you're in your late 40s. So the correct way a very smart financial adviser would have looked at this is that if you took out, let's just say $25,000 to buy a depreciating asset. That will do nothing more than go down in value very quickly. It isn't $25,000 cause if you were to have left that $25,000 in there at just a mere 8% annual average rate of return for 25 years, 72 years of age, not a big deal, you're looking at $171,000 tax free. So that's what your financial adviser is telling you. That you should spend on this car, most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life, number 10, whatever I remember it is, what I would do is if you can do a $25,000 loan at 5.95% and you did it over a three year period of time. I think that it would be approximately $760 a month. You would pay about $2300 in interest. So all right, maybe you would have spent 27 to $28,000 in total for the car. So if you can afford that, so that's what I would do $13,000 leave it there emergency savings account, don't get tricky here. You can afford this loan, so just take it. And also you might want to take the time to find another financial adviser. All right, KT, next.
KT: Feisty. OK,
Suze: Well, here, wait, I just have to say something. You go and you ask experts. What should you do with your hard earned money with everything that you've saved you trust them.
KT: I know she gets crazy. I get they give you wrong advice and Suze wants to string them up, really, OK, so next question is anonymous, Suze. It's a woman in her early 40s. She recently left a job after close to 18 years that she was very happy in but felt a little stagnant
Suze: I already wrote woman back.
KT: Well, wait a minute, let's tell everybody what what she has, what she's asking. Hold, hold on, hold your horses. So she said I was very happy but felt a little stagnant professionally and that I wasn't being paid what I deserved despite asking for greater raises over the past 10 years. A great position opened up closer to home, and I took it as a sign to dust off my resume and see what was out there. Everything went well. I asked for more than what I wanted to be paid, and they offered me the job at the salary I dreamed of. So things were going well at first, maybe a honeymoon phase, but now I'm realizing I miss my old job and I miss my friends there dearly. It's not possible for me to return to my old job right now, although I have thought about going back. This isn't really a money question, Suzy, but more of a life question which you're all so amazing at answering. I feel like I left a happy job for the money, and now I'm having regrets. Any advice? Suze, these are the kind of life changes that I think a lot of people experience. So why don't you share with everyone what you shared with our friend here.
Suze: Yeah, want to know who else I shared this answer with? And I didn't tell them who it was from or whatever, but with Sophia last night. Sophia, who is our niece who's now 25, and oh, I just got goosebumps look. I love this.
KT: She has a great boyfriend.
Suze: She has a great
KT: she wants us to get to know him, which is a signal for... (KT and Suze hum the Wedding March).
Suze: Anyway, and we were talking and she was saying Aunt Suze, what are you doing? and I said I'm answering emails and she said, and what are you telling people? And I said well let me give you an example of one that I just answered. I'm just going to send you the answer I sent this person and Sophia I want you to keep this email. Because one day 15 years from now when it's possible Aunt Kathy and Aunt Suze may not be here, you never know. You never know, just know that this answer will come in handy. So instead of me just telling you what I said to, um, this person, let me read to you what I said. In fact, KT, want me to read it? I want you to read it so
KT: I so I save her voice. Hold on. So dear anonymously yours,
Suze: That is how this person...
KT: that's how she asked us to to address her.
Suze: Now wait, imagine getting this email from me, all right? KT is about to read you the answer that I sent.
KT: First, I want to say this. You are not alone. So many women in their forties find themselves at this exact crossroad torn between the comfort of where they were and the unknown of where they are now. You made a bold, courageous move. You advocated for yourself after years of being undervalued, and you were rewarded. You asked for what you deserved, and you got it. That is a victory even if it doesn't feel like the right one now, but here's the part that's hard. Growth rarely feels good in the moment, especially when we've left a place where we felt safe, even if we were underpaid or overlooked, we had connection, routine, identity, and now you're rebuilding all of that in unfamiliar territory. That ache you're feeling, it's not necessarily a sign that you made a mistake. It might just be grief. Oh, that's interesting, Suze, that you said that. You're grieving the familiarity. The friendships, the version of yourself that felt rooted, but don't confuse grief with regret. You can miss something and still know that leaving it was the right decision. Here's what I want you to do. Number 1, give it time but not forever. Set a time frame, six months from now, how do you want to feel what would need to change for you to feel fulfilled? Write that down, then ask, are those changes within your control at this job? Can you seek mentorship, a new project, a different department? Number 2, reconnect with your why. You didn't just leave for the money. You left because you were stagnant, underpaid, unseen, and that matters. You deserve to be in a place that values you not just emotionally but financially too. Number 3, stay open to what's next. You are not stuck. If this role isn't it, something else will be. But let this experience be your teacher. What are you learning about yourself? What kind of workplace do you thrive in? What compromises are you willing or not willing to make? And yes, I agree with you. God has you here for a reason. Sometimes we're placed in uncomfortable spaces, not because we've taken a wrong turn, but because we're being stretched into our next version of power. You're not trapped, my friend. You're in transition, and transitions are always the most tender part of our lives. Be kind to yourself here. You're doing braver things than you've given yourself credit for with all my heart, Suze. Wow, that is a great answer, not just for this woman and Sophia, but for everyone,
Suze: And it's that kind of answer I have to tell you, KT, that I wrote to at least 4, 5, 6, 7 women the other night when you were saying, what are you doing?
KT: I know she's been really, really very focused on responding. I see her surrounded by all these emails and papers and everything she prints out for our podcast and I'm wondering what she's doing like she's answering them now.
Suze: Yeah, and so why do I do that, everybody? why do I spend my time writing emails like that back to an email question that I get from somebody I don't even know. And...
KT: Because you're Suze.
Suze: And what did I tell you just a little bit ago? What is my job in life? And my job in life and I told this to Sophia as well to meet the needs of the people and the places and the times around me. And offering those services to God. Next question, KT.
KT: That's gonna make me cry.
Suze: Made Sophia cry too.
KT: Yeah, it's gonna make me cry. OK, this question is really a perfect one to come...
Suze: Why are you crying?
KT: Because that is your, that's your job.
Suze: That's my job. It pays well. I get dividends of grace.
KT: You should write that one down, dividends of grace. So this is from Inga. Next question. I was planning on retiring in 6 months. What to do? She's been an ER nurse for 39 years, and the, and the email ends with Suze, it's time. Inga, 39 years.
Suze: And here's why... You are such an angel, my friend, and actually I chose this one and I gave it to KT. She said, What you want me to read one line? I said, I do because she's an ER nurse.
KT: 39 years.
Suze: 39 years learning all the skills needed to save the lives of the thousands and the thousands and the thousands of people that came through those ER doors you have prepared yourself for that, and by preparing yourself for that you have saved other people's lives. You need to take the time and look at all of the things that you have accumulated your retirement accounts, your equity in your home, everything, and you need to look at it in the same way. As you trained to be an ER nurse, are you prepared to be able to retire? So I just want you to know you have what it takes to be an ER nurse, sweetheart, you have what it takes to do anything, and if you're not ready yet, start making changes alright.
KT: 39 years, she's an angel. OK, from Melissa. Hi KT and Suze. I'm a longtime listener of your program and I've learned so much. I've always admired your guidance and no nonsense financial advice. I'm 68 years old, and I have a question about planning for old age with no family or children. Who can be my financial power of attorney if I don't have any one? My friends are unable to serve, so Suze, how do I find a professional who I can trust to handle my financial and other affairs? I don't own any real estate, but I have 900,000, wow, in a Vanguard Roth and 500,000 in a Vanguard traditional. Good for you, she's 68, so what should Melissa do? This is a hard one when someone says they don't have any family or friends. They can, they can serve her.
Suze: You're freaking me out a little bit here because Melissa's another one that I answered directly.
KT: Oh, OK.
Suze: So anyway, basically this is what I told Melissa that she needed to do if her friends can't serve as her financial power of attorney KT and she doesn't have any family that she trusts. Then yes she can hire by the way what's called a professional fiduciary to act in that role and the truth is Melissa, most people don't have anybody even if they have family, even if they have certain people they might not want, they may not want them so that's the first thing that you need to know, right? But what matters most seriously. And this is, I want all of you to listen to this, is that if you have to go that route that you choose someone who is licensed, bonded, and legally required to act in your best interest. Now, how do you find somebody like that? So I want you to start by calling your local county probate court or visiting their website because many courts have a list of all these licensed private professional fiduciaries in your area and I just have to say. This you want someone who is registered with your state and ideally certified KT through what's called a national association like the National Guardianship Association or the NAPFA. Do you know how I was able to remember those initials?
KT: NFP...
Suze: N A P FA
KT: NAPFA
Suze: Because most financial advisers are always nappy, so NAPFA, but that's besides the point, but it's the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors. So just don't take the first one. This is an important thing for you. In interview many, many candidates and if you want, you can also work with an estate attorney to make it all legal. So there you go, and I told her, KT, how proud I was of her because saving $900,000. Are you kidding me?
KT: And 68, she's doing really well.
Suze: All right, we're almost out of time.
KT: I have one last one which is kind of a, a, a crazy question. All right, this question came in from Tom. It says, Yesterday I heard Jay Powell say he's keeping the rates the same. Then the term Stagflation came up, and Tom said, Suze, I was born in 1985. I really don't think I've ever experienced stagflation. What is it? Can you tell me, Suze, what that would feel like? Stagflation.
Suze: So KT, Here's kind of your little quizzy. Do you know what stagflation is?
KT: I don't have a clue.
Suze: Where were you in, uh, when was it like between 1979 and 1982,
KT: Hong Kong,
Suze: Hong Kong, right? And because that would be the last time that we had stagflation. That you would have remembered what the effect was the first in America, the first time really in our lifetimes was 1973 to 1975. We were still just a little...
KT: I was in Studio 54
Suze: and I was like a waitress. It was there, but we wouldn't have quite noticed it. However, 1979 to 1982, Oh, I was a stockbroker. And you bet I felt it. So Tom, the reason that you don't know about stagflation is that the economy has not experienced stagflation since you were born, just that simple. So what is stagflation? And really very simple, KT you experience very high inflation. But stagnant growth, so the economy doesn't grow. But inflation is growing, so when that happens, you also often experience very high unemployment and living through one. I can tell you what happened in those years, 79 to 82, is that really your paycheck doesn't go as far. So every month you notice that the groceries, the utilities, things that you're noticing right now, get all of that. They all seem to jump overnight, which they have, which they are right now and again, right, your jobs feel you're really scared and look at what's happening in the national government, so you're scared that you're going to lose your job. Also, you start to postpone seriously big purchases you stop buying a car, you don't remodel your home, you don't take a vacation. You suddenly feel like everything's out you're stuck. Next, usually through a stagflation environment. You are just freaked out. You really are. You're checking prices. You're reading every sale flyer. You would be great here. You're clipping coupons. You're switching brands just to keep the family budget afloat. You do it because you love to save money, but that's essentially what happens. So you know, cash loses its value. Um, bonds get hurt. Those kinds of things happen. So again, in short, Stagflation is what KT?
KT: Stagflation is when inflation is on the rise and everything else is stagnant, and, and, and it puts you in this state of what I call limbo. You don't know where to go, how to turn, but you're really aware that change, the changes around you are not ones that you want.
Suze: Yeah, it's like, in short, really you're stuck, so stagflation simply means paying more for everything. While your opportunities to earn, get a better job and everything. are kind of stuck. It's just that simple.
KT: So let me ask a question. We, we are entering stagflation probably and when do you feel the peak of stagflation will be aware and felt by everyone in America?
Suze: I think it's coming shortly, you know, like
KT: ... this summer.
Suze: I don't know exactly, right, but you know, but it's on the way. Well, everybody has spent so much time talking about recession, recession, recession. Oh, who cares? I think stagflation in my opinion is worse, and I think if that does start to happen and we haven't come off this tariff thing yet, that's when we'll see what happens or not but that Tom is the answer to your question. So until Sunday when there will be another Suze School, and she's looking at me like, can I come sit in there again on Sunday? Is that what you're looking at me?
KT: Yea.
Suze: Because that will be the 11th. No, you cannot. Oh, she's just looking at me. That means she..
KT: I might sneak in. I, I like to just listen. I sit back and listen.
Suze: Buut you know what else Sunday is?
KT: It's Mother's Day.
Suze: So you can all sleep in, right? You can all listen to the podcast later on. We wish you all a very happy Mother's Day, of course, and until then there's only one thing that we want you to remember when it comes to your money. And what is that, KT?
KT: No stagflation. No, people first, people first,
Suze: then money,
KT: then things.
Suze: Now you stay safe. Bye bye.