Suze: June 11, 2026. Welcome everybody to the Women and Money podcast and Everybody Smart Enough to Listen. Today is what KT?
KT: (KT laughs) She just looked at me with an evil eye when she said, and everyone smart enough to listen because I don't listen enough to Miss Suze. Today's June 11th. It's Thursday. It's almost...
Suze: KT, I just said it was June 11th.
KT: But... so why'd you say, what is it? What is this?
Suze: This is, I'm telling you, do you see everybody, why I gave her that eye? It is the Ask KT and Suze Anything edition, because I can tell when she is not present. I pushed the button to start recording. We're all good...
KT: Are we on?
Suze: I'm gonna absolute. Are you kidding me?
KT: OK, let's get started.
Suze: No, KT, really, there are things that I want to talk about first. All right. So number one, today is the anniversary, KT, of Brett and Alexis, my niece. It's their anniversary today.
KT: How years have they been married?
Suze: Too many. No, I don't know.
KT: The kids are teenagers, so probably at least 20.
Suze: A lot, but anyway...
KT: Maybe 20 years.
Suze: Happy anniversary to the two of you.
KT: What a beautiful couple too.
Suze: And children. Stunning anyway...
KT: Alexis looks like a young Suze.
Suze: Lucky her, lucky her.
KT: She does look so much like her Aunt Suze.
Suze: Right? So, but no, but truthfully, the other thing, and this one is very, very important. Guess what ended last night? The birthday pricing for the Must-Have Documents and the Ultimate Scam Protection is over. We had told all of you that it was going to end on June 8th, about midnight Pacific time, but there was such an overwhelming demand for it, that we thought, OK, let's extend it two more days, but it is now officially over. So what does that mean? That means the Must-Have Documents has gone back up to $99 and the Ultimate Scam Protection has gone back up to $95.88 a year, not just one time only like the Must-Have Documents, that is per year. Now something that's very important for you to know. And I said this in the webinar, in the podcast, and it has come to pass. June 21st, the first day of summer. The Must-Have Documents, I have been told now are going to go up to $153. You need to know that. So between now and June 20th it will be $99. Starting June 21st it will be $153. Listen, Hay House has been wanting to raise those prices now for years.
KT: For over a year...
Suze: For years because of the cost to keep everything going. I keep saying, no, no, please keep it $99. However, they are now raising it, so if you missed the birthday pricing, you have until June 20th to get it for $99. Remember, everybody, it is $2,500 worth of state of the art documents that you don't pay for updates. You can share it, but it's worth it. It's really, it's more, it's actually really more than worth it even at $153. So go to musthavedocs.com. That's where you can get it or just go to suzeorman.com and it's right there on the front page. All right, KT, now...
KT: Actually my first question is about Must-Have Docs.
Suze: Oh, OK, go. All right.
KT: And, and this is perfect timing. Hi Suze, I have a question for you regarding the Must-Have Documents. My husband and I have gotten everything in place, but what happens if I were to die before him and he remarries?
Suze: Chances are he will.
KT: I know...
Suze: he's he absolutely will.
KT: He probably will.
Suze: I just have to say this...
KT: Men remarry right away.
Suze: Men remarry like sometimes, honest to God, within three months.
KT: Yeah, and before years out.
Suze: Right? So anyway, all right, go on.
KT: Is there something that I can put in the will or trust that will prevent the current wife from inheriting my assets? I want to protect our two adult girls. See, she even said the current wide.
Suze: The current wife, so she knows what's gonna happen there. Listen, here's what's important to understand. You have two choices here. You could have separate wills and trusts and everything. What's in your name, what's in his name. When you die, your half automatically does what it goes to your girls and not your spouse, however... You may not want to do that as well, cause you may want him to be able to have certain things, live in the house, things like that. But if I were you, I have to tell you the Must-Have Documents, in my opinion, don't help you here. In that they're not that complicated unless you want to do separate Must-Have Documents, which you can absolutely do. Listen, KT and I have separate wills, trusts, and everything. We do not have a joint one, just so you know. However, what you could do is go and see a lawyer and look into getting a marital trust, a family trust. A bypass trust, a Q-Tip trust. There are all kinds of solutions that will solve your concern. I don't think the Must-Have Documents are detailed enough for you to accomplish what you want. So bottom line, go and see a trust lawyer or leave it all to your kids and let your husband do what he wants and let your kids be in charge of your husband. Just saying I'm not sure that's what you want. But it's interesting that she's thinking that way. Don't you think that's interesting?
KT: Well, she kind of has an inkling maybe, but it's, it's also something that she wants to make sure if he does remarry that her kids are OK.
Suze: But, however, you have to be very careful because remember, KT... Whenever you designate a beneficiary like in a retirement account and or a life insurance policy, even if you have a trust or a will that says other, when you designate a beneficiary, it overrides the wishes of your trust or wills. So if in her retirement account, if she has one, if she designated that her husband was the primary beneficiary of it, guess what? It all goes to him, and now she has no control over that whatsoever. So could she put the trust as the primary beneficiary? It gets very complicated at that point for many reasons, because a trust doesn't have the same rights as a spouse. And not only that, this is very important about what I am to say to all of you. You have a trust and you say that my half goes where to my children and that's where you think it's going to go. However, if you own a home in joint tenancy with right of survivorship, if you own a brokerage account, anything and joint tenancy with right of survivorship, you own a bank account, whatever it may be. The way that you hold title, overrides anything that you say in your trust or will. So even if you think that you've covered it in your individual trust and that when you die your money's going to go to your kids, it depends on how you've done it, which is why I'm saying to you, go and see an estate lawyer. See, aren't you happy that we're so simple.
KT: Yeah,
Suze: Really.
KT: Everything I have goes to Suze. Everything she has would go to KT.
Suze: Now, but here's what's key about that, everybody. We both have the rights to change anything that we want to change when that happens, but we do trust each other to know that we will abide by each other's wishes and not change them. And just, you know, honor what each of us want. Just that simple. But the majority, seriously, the majority of our estate goes to what kt?
KT: Hospitals.
Suze: That's right, medical research and hospitals. All right.
KT: We love that. OK, so next question is this: This is to Suze and KT. I have to admit I'm a latecomer to your podcast and at the age of 55 I feel so overwhelmed. I have a ton of questions, but the one that keeps coming to mind is about my 401(k) and 457(b). My job currently matches both accounts up to 4%. All right, so the question is. Should I contribute to my 457(b) or should I contribute to my Roth 401k since it's after taxes? Great So remember, age 55 here.
Suze: All right, great question and great that you said age 55 KT. However, here's the thing, you can do both. You can have your cake and eat it too, and you should. Because a 457, everybody is an account that you put money in before taxes. It's with your company, and this company matches up to 4%, the same as her company matches for the Roth 401k. So why not contribute to both up to the point of the match, cause that's a guaranteed 4% on your money. After that, however, I personally would then be maxing out my Roth 401(k) and hey, if you have even more money than that. Well, you can go back to the 457, but I have a feeling that may max you out totally as to what you're doing for retirement. Next question.
KT: OK. Next question is from Chris. Hi, Suze. My question is about mutual funds. I have a bunch of them in my 401(k) which I opened over the years. I have not touched them for decades. I hear what you're saying about ETFs and I have invested in some of those as well. My question is, should I sell the mutual funds and transition that money into ETFs, or should I keep holding the mutual funds? I'm swiftly approaching 70 and will start collecting Social Security then. Right now I'm living comfortably off my nest egg. There you go. That's from Chris.
Suze: And this, you see, everybody, when you write me a question like this, it's very difficult for me to answer because I don't know what mutual funds, I don't know the expense ratio of those mutual funds. I don't know what those mutual funds are actually invested in. So, Chris, here's what I would tell you. I would look at the investments in each one of those mutual funds and see if they overlap. 12, what is the expense ratio of those mutual funds and do they make sense? Are they managed mutual funds or are they indexed funds? Because remember, a managed mutual fund or ETF. In most cases is going to have a higher expense ratio. What has been the returns of those mutual funds in comparison to the Standard and Poor's 500 mutual fund or ETF? Have they been outperforming the S&P or not? Because any ETF out. There or mutual fund out there. Your goal is to either if you're in a Standard and Poor's index fund or ETF, of course, you're going to do what that does. But if you're in any other fund or ETF, you want to know that it's outperforming the S&P 500, including the expense ratio, and that goes for every ETF and mutual fund. Now, sometimes you have to give them years if they're new and they're just out, but that's what you're looking at. Then you need to look at your goal of what you want for this money. If you've already been in there a number of years, you already paid the load. It's already paid for. So look at the performance, look at what you need from your money. I know I like ETFs better than mutual funds, but that doesn't mean for those of you who have mutual funds, you need to get out of them. There are great mutual funds. I just like the liquidity of ETFs better for many reasons, just that simple. So, Chris, I can't help you except to have given you how you need to go about making sure what you have is what you need. Next question, KT.
KT: So this is from Sharon, and I like this one a lot, Suze. She's really...
Suze: You like them all a lot.
KT: No, she's this one is a mom who's really trying to guide a 29 year-old daughter, and that 29 year-old daughter is totally ripe for these investments. Hello Suze, I'm trying to help our 29 year old daughter reallocate some of her funds in her company 401(k).
Suze: Hopefully it's a Roth 401(k).
KT: Wait a minute. She has her contribution going into a Roth 401(k). But listen to this. Of course, the advisor that assisted her persuaded her to put the largest portion of her contribution into a Vanguard target date fund. I'm trying to encourage her to make note of the expense fees in these funds and educate her early. Plus, I, like you, don't think Target. Date Funds are the way to go. She also has an S&P fund and a couple of other funds. I realize she can sell and move out of accounts without triggering any tax consequences since it's in a 401(k). Just not sure what is the best way to move out. There you go.
Suze: Well, you have two things going here right now. Number one, what's best for her money. And what's best for her self-esteem and her own empowerment. I don't want you to raise a daughter who is dependent on Mommy and what Mommy wants to do. I want her to make decisions on her own. Just that simple. Now I'll give you an example of my niece Sophia, who I love more than life itself. I wanted her to do certain things with her Roth IRA. I did. However, she wasn't comfortable in doing that. So we talked about it and she decided what she was comfortable in, and I was fine accepting that because she made the decision. She feels good about it, and now she is empowered to make her own decisions. Of course, she checks with Aunt Suze, but it's more important for Aunt Suze to empower her, to encourage her, and for her to feel secure in what she wanted to do. So I think it's important that you sit down with your daughter and you ask her, not tell her. You ask her why did she make those decisions. Does she feel good about them? Did she trust the adviser that was telling her what to do, because here's the truth, the target date mutual fund that she's in right now is probably all in the Standard and Poor's 500 index cause she's so young. So is she duplicating her investments? So I think it would be a great exercise to say, hey, let's go and look up what the top holdings are in all the mutual funds that you own, and let's see if there's any duplication. Let's look at what the expense ratio is in all the mutual funds that you own and see if there's a difference there and maybe are you better off just being in a Standard and Poor's 500 index fund, which she probably is, by the way, and that's it. So just look at everything she's invested in. And let her make the decisions where she on her own feels comfortable. Now, maybe she won't make as much money, but people first, then money, then things. Next question, KT.
KT: So, Suze, this is from Jennifer, who's 68 years old. She said, I have a question. For IRAs, you often advise whether young or old, you recommend only investing in Roth IRAs. I own my own small business and I've been investing in SEP IRAs. How are they different and should I consider investing instead in Roth IRAs?
Suze: Well, why not have your cake and eat it too, OK, because you can actually do both. You can invest in a SEP IRA up to a maximum of 25% of your income, no more than 72,000 a year, and have a Roth IRA if your modified adjusted gross income qualifies. However, you can also, if you want, convert money from your SEP IRA into your Roth. Now, you are 68 years of age, and you have to decide how long you're gonna work. So maybe you wait until your income goes down dramatically after you're no longer working, and then you start to convert some of the money from your SEP IRA into your Roth, so you don't add to your income. In the meantime, fund the Roth IRA up to your max of $8,600 a year since you are over 50. Here's what's so sad, everybody. Few years ago with Secure 2.0, they decided, all right, you can all have a Roth SEP IRA, but good luck finding one. I've researched Schwab. Vanguard stated they're not going to allow them. E-Trade. Nobody wants them, so you can always go from a SEP IRA and convert to a Roth IRA. Just remember you owe taxes on any amount that you convert. All right, next.
KT: OK, this is a question for you, and the subject was when to take gains off the table. Hi Suze. Question. I've heard Fitzy say if you've doubled your money in a stock or ETF, you can take the gain and leave the original amount in to continue to grow, hopefully. Did I hear that correctly?
Suze: Yes and Fitzy, everybody is Keith Fitz-Gerald...
KT: Fitzy's like her brother.
Suze: ... and he has something called a free trade where if you buy something and let's say you buy it at 50. And it goes to 100, then take half off the table and just leave, meaning you sell, take your gain, and then everything that's remaining, the other 50% that you left in there, which was your obviously your original investment, it's free money. So no matter what happens after that, you're fine. However, Not that I like to disagree with him very often, but, however, it depends. I want to tell you, it depends, where is that money held? Is it in a retirement account or is it not? Because if it's in a retirement account, OK, you can sell half, no tax consequences, but if it's not in a retirement account and depending on what state you live in, let's say, and this has happened, I've seen it happen, that you buy something, it goes from 7 to 14, you bought a lot of it, or 25 to 50 within less than a year. That means when you sell, you're going to owe ordinary income taxes on it and if you're in a high state tax bracket as well as federal, you may end up giving the majority of that gain back to the government in taxes. So all of a sudden you don't have a 100% gain there and then was it worth it? So sometimes it's worth it and sometimes it's not. I would not say that's a hard and fast rule for everybody. It depends, in my opinion, your tax bracket, the state you live in, and is it inside or outside of a retirement account and is it going to be a long or short term gain? You have to take all of that into consideration. Nothing is a hard and fast rule. Yes, KT.
KT: So that's interesting you disagree with your Fitzy.
Suze: Just listen. I love him very much, but I have my opinions. He has his opinions. I trust him and honor him and normally do everything like he would want in terms of stock picking ETFs and things like that, but I do have my own way of thinking about things...
KT: And he defers to you also.
Suze: Sometimes. So that's all. That's just how I think about it. Doesn't make him wrong. Doesn't make me right, although I think it does. Go on. All right.
KT: I agree with Suze. OK.
Suze: Of course, because you're married to me.
KT: All right, this is from Rushali. This is a very sweet email, and, and, um, and I was thinking a lot about her. She said, first and foremost, Suze, I wanna thank you for being a role model for women like me all around the world. I am an Indian woman who's been living in Oklahoma City for 22 years, and I recently became a US citizen six years ago.
Suze: Congratulations.
KT: Yeah, good for you, she said. Though sadly, Suze, eight years ago my husband took his own life after he got laid off from his job in 2018. I am a 48-year-old widow with two girls, one is 14 and another 17. I inherited his stocks worth $1.8 million now and his IRA worth about $1.2 million. The house is paid off. I have no debt. My daughter just got free tuition for four years to Vanderbilt. Wow, smart daughter. I work at IT and make $65,000 annually. Please let me know if I need to buy a home or invest in the stock market. Your advice is greatly appreciated. So sweet, right? So I'm thinking he, he died eight years ago, which means she was a single mom with two very small girls.
Suze: So she was 40 years old when this happened. You know what's a little confusing to me about this one? Obviously they had money, house, every, I mean, maybe he had an insurance policy which allowed them to pay the house off, so you get laid off from a job. Right? And you commit suicide. How sad is that? You know, everybody, I want you to just think about that. Please don't let your job define you. Please don't think that your world has come to an end, because wherever you worked, all of a sudden is saying that they don't need you, so maybe you feel worthless. So, not exactly sure what happened there, but what I am sure about is that this woman is financially set. Totally. And so her questions are, after eight years of being OK, I have to wonder why is she questioning that right now. Did somebody approach her, because her question about should I buy a home when she already has a home, as her girls are getting older and will probably be out of the house soon, who approached her, and told her that she needs to take some of this money, buy a house, do whatever. I'd have to know exactly what she is invested in and everything to tell her. And by the way, I will contact her directly, KT, because every widow deserves that if you ask me. But if you're hearing this now, please don't do anything till you hear from me. And especially when it comes to these sums of money, this will not be something that I do over email. I will ask you for your phone, and I will call you personally so you can hear my voice, so you know without a shadow of a doubt that it's not a scammer, this is not fraud. This is something that I want to make sure that you are protected. You deserve that. But I find that very interesting, her question at this point in time. All right, KT, what else you got?
KT: So next question. I'm 54. I need a little advice, Suze. I have $600,000 to invest. I have talked to two different investment firms. They're both charging 1.5%, which is high. One firm is Fisher. The other is TMG Marketing, which stated they open accounts with Fidelity and Schwab. Can I just do this on my own? I have a Roth IRA with $400,000 and a traditional with $200,000. I'm too old to be starting over. Help, please.
Suze: It just depends. You see these expense ratios and you think it's too expensive. You see what advisors are charging to manage your money. You think it's too expensive. So, you have to judge yourself, are the advisors or the expense ratios worth it? Because in the long run, they will make you more money than you can make for yourself. You could easily do this on your own. You could easily do many of the ETFs that I've talked to you about, many of the individual stocks. You can start by dollar cost averaging and see how that feels. In the meantime, you might want to put a lot of this money just in a money market account or something, so at least it's making an interest rate for yourself and see how that feels. It's not the firm. That you're going to, that determines if they're gonna make you money or not. It is the advisor that works at that firm. What is their track record? Will they let you speak to other people that they've managed their money? Has the adviser made at least 5% more a year than the Standard and Poor's 500 index after fees? All of that is important with anything, otherwise you are just better off in an ETF that's the Standard and Poor's 500 index, just that simple, or any of the other ETFs seriously that I've mentioned for a long time on this podcast. You know, maybe on Sunday, I'll go over some of my faves again, fave stocks, and I'll talk about that and I'll address this. But I personally think a lot of people have what it takes to do it on their own. That doesn't mean that you don't take some of your money and put it into managed ETFs, you know, SMH has always been one of my very, very favorite. Just saying. So you're going to have to make this decision. However, I'm going back to: nobody ever asks a question like this that they don't know the answer to. So before you hand over this money to somebody that you really maybe don't know, why don't you give it a try on your own and see how it feels. But if you do that, you make sure you dollar cost average, you go very, very slowly. I don't care what you are investing in. This is the time little amounts of money, dollar cost average, because I still don't like what's happening over in Iran and anything can go wrong that way at any time. So can we just go really slow for right now.
KT: Caution. Caution, caution.
Suze: It is. I am very...
KT: Suze's been really cautious lately, even with our own money.
Suze: Yeah.
KT: Very cautious.
Suze: I don't care who, what, just be cautious right now. And as things go down, OK, little by little, if you like the investment, follow it down, but I would probably think most investments are going down right now. All right, KT, I guess that's it. Is that it?
KT: No, no, no, I have one last one that's for me. This isn't a. This isn't a question. I want to share this. This is, this is about KT's summer reading list. You ready?
Suze: Who wrote you about what you should read?
KT: This is from Megan, and Megan, I love that you addressed this, and, and I'm gonna take you up on it. She said, sometimes I feel like the universe is talking to me, and today was one of those days. I was listening to your Thursday podcast when KT said something about Roth's. She said, so this message is really for KT, but a bit for Suze as well. So I love this. She said, I'm a teacher and my school is doing a book study this summer on The book Limitless Mind, if you haven't read it, it's about having a growth mindset as opposed to a fixed mindset. A growth mindset is a belief that one can change their abilities and knowledge through effort, learning, and persistence. That part's for KT. So she said, I personally think that you might be able to shift your mindset to start believing in the power of yet, as in, I haven't figured out Roth's yet, Suze. And then Megan said, I know you can do it if you set your mind to it, KT. I think Suze believes this too, but I'm not convinced you do.
Suze: So KT, where in there is it for me?
KT: OK, so she said, Suze called you smart, which is a word I actually try hard not to use as a teacher because it implies that we either know things or we don't. And it doesn't encourage the kids or KT to think about what they don't know but could learn. Isn't this great? I love this. Everyone. Limitless Mind.
Suze: So are you gonna...
KT: Joe Bowler's book. Joe Bowler, I guess, is the author.
Suze: So are you ordering it?
KT: No, you're gonna order it for me today from Amazon.
Suze: No, I am not. You are going to order it for yourself...
KT: Limitless Mind.
Suze: ... and we are going to read it together.
KT: I love that. Maybe I'll do some excerpts of what I've learned about Roth while I'm learning about Limitless Mind. Do you like that, Suze, my summer reading? I like it.
Suze: I'll tell you after you've read it. All right, everybody, Sunday, Suze School. I'll give you an update on things that I think, and, but I always do anyway, don't I? And remember, birthday pricing has gone away, so I hope you took advantage of it, but especially for the Must-Have Docs. Remember the $99 at musthavedocs.com goes away on June 20th, and on June 21st as the sun rises, first day of summer, it will be $153. So please, if you're gonna do it, now is the time. But really, KT, there's only one thing that we want people to remember, and what is that, my love?
KT: That it's people first, then money, then things, now you... Now you...
Suze: She's pointing at me. She's pointing at me still. Now, what should I do?
KT: Stay safe.
Suze: All right, everybody, bye bye.