KT: Hi everybody. Good morning, Suze.
Suze: It is always a good morning with you, Ms. Travis.
KT: It's July 26, 2026.
Suze: No it's not, no it's not!
KT: Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. OK, so we pre-recorded this podcast before we left for our trip. To Italy, Ciao Bella!
Suze: For her birthday. This is another Ask KT and Anything combined with Suze School. Now why do I say that? Because some questions require more of a detailed explanation. It's more like a teaching part. And others are just kind of answers to people's questions. So therefore we're combining them kind of together. But are you ready, KT?
KT: I'm ready. So that's how I'm opening today's podcast. On the Women and Money app. I got another little series of questions, but this one in particular, I think is really important. It says, Suze, when is the last calendar day I can contribute to a solo 401k?
Suze: Yeah, I'm kicking myself because KT, I should have had that in the master class two weeks ago. What was I thinking? But here's what you need to get, all right. You have to open, and by the way, if you don't know what I'm talking about with a solo 401k or a SEP IRA, go back two weeks from today and listen to the master class on solo 401ks versus SEP IRAs, and you'll find out that if you're self-employed, you are crazy in most cases not to have a solo 401k. However, the last day that you can open a solo 401k, is December 31st, let's say this year, if you are gonna open up one for 2026, you have to have opened it up by December 31st, 2026. However, that doesn't mean that you have to fund it by December 31st, 2026. But here's what you need to know if you are a sole proprietor. When you open it up, and it has to be opened by December 31st, 2026 if it's for this year, you have to elect how much of your own salary deferral you are going to put in it. You don't have to do it. You just have to make that election. And you have for the actual money you have till the day that you file your taxes. So KT for 2026 contributions that would be April 15th, 2027, or all the way, by the way, like we do till October 15th, 2027 if you file an extension. However, here's what everybody needs to know because remember when you're self-employed, you have two ways to go. You can be a sole proprietor, right, KT? Or you could form an S corporation. OK. Now, if you're an S corporation, and you pay yourself a paycheck, a W-2, which chances are you will, then your employee contribution, your employee has to come out of that paycheck through your payroll, and that has to be done by December 31st of this year. No extension, nothing. Your employer hat or your employer contribution can still wait until you file. Now how is that for complication, KT? That was a little mini Suze School.
KT: Suze, tell everyone what is the difference between an S corp and a sole proprietorship.
Suze: All right, so before I go to an S corp, everybody, let's just start simple. A sole proprietorship. I always want you to think of the name of something. A sole proprietorship means it is just you. So maybe you're a freelance, you consult, you sell things, and you've never filed any other special paperwork, all right? It's just you and your business, same person. The business makes $1. And that $1 is yours and it goes right in your personal tax return. Now, you may think that's just great, everybody, but you probably didn't know that on that money, on the profit, you're paying self-employment tax. That's Social Security and Medicare, a little over 15% on every dollar that you make. That's essentially how it is. So, that's a sole proprietorship, very easy. You and your business are one. But when you form an S corp, you are not one with your business. The S Corp is a separate business. It's not just you anymore, and you, everybody, you become its employee. So therefore, you have to pay yourself a real salary, like a paycheck, a W-2, just like you work for anybody else. However, you only pay Social Security and Medicare tax on your salary. But the profit above your salary that comes to you as a distribution, so there is no self-employment tax on it, none. So bottom line, if your business is making serious money, an S corp saves you thousands in payroll taxes every single year. So KT, you tell everybody in your opinion, why doesn't everybody do that?
KT: S corps aren't that easy. All right, there's benefits, but it costs you money, everybody. You have to set up payroll services. You need a separate tax return, and the IRS really takes a look to make sure your salary is reasonable, so you can't get away with anything.
Suze: You can't pay yourself $10,000, everybody and then take $200,000 in distributions. They will come after you for that. So KT tell everybody who should do in your opinion, an S corp versus a sole proprietor.
KT: If you're just starting out, let's say you're a hairdresser, you're just starting out, you're making modest profits. A sole proprietor is fine. It's simple. It's clean. It's actually a whole lot easier. And, and a little less work in terms of filing and keeping track of everything.
Suze: You're doing great so far. You're about to get a ding ding ding.
KT: Wait a minute. But Suze, if you start out and let's say you have a great idea for a business and that business after your first, second year starts to skyrocket, let's say it goes beyond your wildest dreams.
Suze: Actually, KT, it's if, wait, if it goes beyond what a reasonable salary would be for you, that is the key. If a reasonable salary for you is X and all of a sudden you've made 2 or 3 x, that's when you consult a CPA and look into getting an S corp. Just that simple KT next question.
KT: OK, Suze, this next question is from Teresa, and I can tell you something. She watched the Suze Orman show because after reading this question, it is. Definitely a can I afford it question.
Suze: Oh well, that's easy, denied.
KT: She said, Suze, I would like to buy a quiet luxury handbag in a basic color that is timeless, meaning I will keep it until I die. She said, I'm 67 years old. I am a teacher. I plan on retiring next year. I live in California and will retire with a decent educator's pension. So she said, right now, I have about $600,000 in a 403B. And a 457. I have $200,000 in a CD. I have $30,000 in savings, and my husband and I have a house fund for emergencies of about $16,000. The most I have ever spent on a handbag was $259. And that was for Dooney and Burke, which is a nice looking bag.
Suze: I personally wouldn't know.
KT: OK, so she said, I would really like to own a nice designer bag, The Row, a Bottega Venita, Chanel, anything between $1,500 but no more than $3,000. What is your advice?
Suze: Really?
KT: What's your advice?
Suze: My advice is let's hear what KT has to say to you.
KT: OK, so Suze's asking me to answer this because she knows I worked in the luxury business for many years with all of these designer brands, and I have to tell you something. If I were you, Teresa, I would go to a consignment store or some of these online secondhand. You know, um, opportunities where you can get a beautiful designer bag for pennies on the dollar, and then you satisfy both needs. You keep saving and you have a designer bag that you really wanted.
Suze: See, I knew you would give her the best answer.
KT: What do you think?
Suze: Well, I think your answer is absolutely correct, but here's my concern. My concern is this, Teresa, you're 67 years of age. And you plan on retiring next year. That means your income, everything stops. And at the time of life when you're retiring, this is when you want a designer bag. Usually, especially women, when they approach retirement and they know income is going to stop, rather than spend, that's when they take their money and they wanna save, save, save. But not you. So it makes me wonder why, why at this point in your life, why is now the time that you want a designer bag? Hey, if you were 40, 50 right now, I'd say, yeah, go ahead. But at 67, I'm just wondering why. So I'd like you to answer that question for yourself, and if you come up with the reason that makes sense that you want to spend that kind of money one year before you retire, OK, if it were me, I would not be doing it, but more important than you buying the bag, I want you to understand why. Why at this point in your life do you want to do that? Next question, KT.
KT: OK, from Stacy. Hi, Suze. I saw where you mentioned that paying off your mortgage is the most important thing for retirement. I agree.
Suze: One of them, yes.
KT: OK, so here is my dilemma. I am 63 years old. I owe $130,000 on my condo. I make $110,000 per year and I have $300,000 in my 401k. I only have $15,000 in saving because I just put a big down payment on a car. I also have about $60,000 in gold and silver that I can sell. I am still working and don't plan to retire anytime soon. Any advice as to how to pay off my mortgage?
Suze: Yes, stop spending money you don't have simply to impress people you don't even know or like, because anybody who buys a big car and they have to put a down payment on it, that's exactly why they're doing it. But that's besides the point. Here's my concern for you. You say that you want to own your home outright, all right, by the time you retire, even though you don't plan to retire any time soon. Number one, you want to make God laugh. Have you ever heard this? Show her your plan. You don't know. Are you in a car accident? Are you sick? What happens? Does your company close? You don't know how long you have to work. You don't know that. That's an unknown. So I always tell you invest in the known versus the unknown. The known is most likely you're still going to need a home to live in, whether you are working or not. The known is your biggest monthly expense is your mortgage payment. Therefore, if you know that you want to stay in that house for the rest of your life, then that should have been a long time now. That should have been for a long time your number one priority to have it paid off by the time you retire. But no, you decided to take money even though all you have is $15,000 in an emergency fund. Really? All right. You decided to take emergency fund money from savings to put a large down payment on a car. Why? So your monthly payments could be smaller. Are you kidding me? And, you have $60,000 in gold and silver. Do what it already has gone up. Here's the bottom line. If it were me, this is what I would do. I would sell the gold and the silver, all of it. Maybe you have a capital gain. Maybe you don't. I don't know. You'll have to check that out before you sell it. If you could take that money and put it into your mortgage. That you currently have towards principal, make sure it goes towards principal. Now all you owe is $70,000 and if you continue to pay your monthly mortgage like you do right now or do it on a biweekly schedule where you actually do it every two weeks, which means you make one extra payment a year. You will have that mortgage paid off sooner than you have any idea. That is number one. Number two, you make $110,000 a year. And you're 63 years of age and you only have now $15,000 in savings. You need to take a hard look at yourself and what are you spending your money on because you don't say you're married, you don't say that you have kids, you use the word I throughout this entire thing. You know, and so therefore, you also have $300,000 in a 401k. It's not even a Roth 401k. So that means you don't have $300,000 in there because when you go to take it out you're going to owe ordinary income tax on it. So you have done everything wrong. You just have, and that is me standing in your truth for you because you wrote in and you didn't write in to get me to tell you what you could do. You already knew you need to stand in your truth. And you need to make you and your life and your money in savings and investment your number one priority over flashy things. Such as a car. All right, KT, next.
KT: OK, this is from Maria, a simple one liner which I love everybody. Maria asks Suze, does a living revocable trust need to be registered at the county you live in?
Suze: No, it does not, never has and never will. Now maybe there's some places that do, but not that I know of. All right, go on next.
KT: So, from Diane. I don't have a trust because I don't have any executor for my estate. I have no family members, and most of my friends are older or gone. I tried to hire an attorney, and she did not want to be the executor. I'm leaving my entire estate to charity, and I'm 76 years old. I don't know what to do, and I'm very concerned. So, Suze, how will the documents work if I don't have any one to distribute my assets. So I think, and she wrote, please enlighten me. So can you please enlighten her?
Suze: I can. And here's the first thing I'm gonna tell you. You don't have a will. You don't have a trust because of this excuse that you don't have an executor. Guess what? You have one. If you die, and this is true for everybody, if you die without a will, without a trust, the state that you live in deems that you have died intestate succession. And your assets will pass according to the succession rules of the state that you live in plus probate fees, OK? So let's just say your mother was still alive and you had kids, all right, maybe half would go to your mother or father, half would go to your kids. If you don't have any relatives or anybody, maybe they're going to look for cousins, uncles, aunts, but you already have one, whether you know it or not. You want to take power over your money. There's a few things you can do, depending on where your assets are. I'm assuming you have bank accounts, maybe you have a brokerage account, maybe you have a retirement account. You could designate right here and right now upon your death what's known as a pay on death account. You die, name the charities now that you want to get your money. You own a home. You could do a transfer on death account if you want. Who is to get your home if you have one? If that's to go to a charity, then do that. But you name it now while you still can, and that's the easiest way to take care of it. But I'm actually not that concerned about where your money goes when you have died. I'm concerned about what happens if something happens to you and how do we use your money to pay your bills, write your checks if you even write checks any more, to pay for a nursing home, to do all those things. Who, Diane is going to do that for you? All of a sudden you become incapacitated. You have a stroke. Anything can happen. So, you need to designate a durable power of attorney for health care, who can make health care decisions for you. So the must-have documents really can serve you well now. If you really don't have any friends, if you don't have anybody in your life, then you're in a situation where you need to hire a professional trustee, and there are firms that do that. Many banks will do that for you. Many brokerage firms may be will do that for you. You never know, but you will find somebody, but you need to get on it right now. But not taking action now. Just because you have an excuse of I don't have an executive for my estate just doesn't hold water with me. So tomorrow you are to make calls and you are to make pay on death accounts, find a trustee, and get yourself the must-have documents and do this now. Go to musthavedocs.com. Yes, KT.
KT: OK, this next one and my final question. It is fabulous, Suze. I love this. It's from Mary. She said, KT KT, KT, please, please, please pick me. And then she said, Help our beautiful 94 year old mom. Love this question. My 94-year-old mom has about $10,000 in credit card debt and has only been able to make the minimum payments. Suze, the account is not delinquent, but it's becoming a burden. She has no other debt. She does have a reverse mortgage and lives on Social Security and a teacher's pension. She has early memory loss from multiple mini strokes, but she's still remarkably independent. I moved in with her this year to help care for her, though she's amazingly physically capable for her age. The five of us kids help with expenses when needed, but we're at a point where we need to prioritize our own financial future. If she doesn't have this credit card debt, she could cover her monthly expenses. What do you recommend?
Suze: So you know, I'm a little confused here because $10,000 of credit card debt is nothing. I have a feeling that Mary meant to say she has about $100,000 in credit card debt and, and yes, because $10,000 in credit card debt, KT, the minimum payment due would be like $200 a month, $300 a month. It's a burden when it's $2,000 or $3,000 a month. All right, so Mary, I'm just going to make the assumption that when you wrote this, you wanted to put down $100,000 and instead you put down $10,000. If you really did mean $10,000 then something is radically wrong and the five kids should each come up with $2,000 each and pay off that debt. But I just can't believe that $10,000 of credit card debt is that big of a burden. So I'm going to go with my feelings, KT, and say it's $100,000. So you need to listen to me here, which is this first of all. You know, mama has already a reverse mortgage. She's been living far beyond her means for a long, long time. You say she has no other debt. Well, that's great. $100,000 of credit card debt, a reverse mortgage, lives on Social Security and a teacher's pension, and blah, blah blah blah. My real concern is here. She has memory loss and it could get bad and even though you moved in with her, that doesn't mean necessarily that you're going to be able to take care of her really. It just does because sometimes they wander, they'll leave the house in the middle of the night, all kinds of things, and you'll find that even though you love her, you moved in with her, you might not be able to let her stay there, all right, so you should number one, be looking at a memory care facility just in case you have to move her into one, all right. That's number one. If you do have to move her into one now, you may need to sell the house, but because she has a reverse mortgage on the home, I don't know how long she has had this home for on a reverse mortgage. There may be equity in her home, and there may not be very much equity in her home. So it just depends how long she has had a reverse mortgage, and given that she is 94, why do I think she's had one for at least 15 or 20 years already. So we have a very, very serious situation here, Mary, and this is where the kids, all the kids, the five of you, need to get together and really look at what is the current equity in her home if the reverse mortgage was to be paid off. How much does a memory care facility really cost? And if, in fact, now listen to me closely. You've done that and they can't really attach a home or take anything away from her or whatever. You've sold the home. She has no assets. If she really has $100,000 of credit card debt after you have arranged everything for her and you know what's really going on. If that was my mother, I would consider claiming bankruptcy. Only if they can't take the house away from her, because the rules of bankruptcy is once you owe more than what you make, you are already technically bankrupt now. That debt is not going to pass down to the five kids. You could very easily, believe it or not, just stop paying it, and what are they going to do. Really it's unsecured debt. It's not secured by the house. Will it ruin her FICO score? Absolutely it will. But the truth of the matter is, who cares? Who cares about a FICO score when you are 94 years of age? So there are many things that you can do here. But if she really can't afford it. And she probably used that money to live on, so she didn't go on and buy all these fancy things and everything. Those are some ideas that you might want to think about again. Listen to my answer. Do you sell the home? Do you claim bankruptcy? Will they allow her to keep the home? Is there any equity in the home, or does it just make sense? And you should see a bankruptcy lawyer to claim bankruptcy or just stop paying the credit card and let it go into default ruins her FICO score. But there's nothing really much more they can do about that really because it's unsecured debt. Now maybe they could sue her, who knows, but they're not going to at this point in time. Those are some of your alternatives that you're going to have to decide what you should do. All right, KT, and that was kind of heavy, huh? It's been years since I suggested possible bankruptcy.
KT: But I'm glad you did because I think that's probably the best solution right now. But, she won't, the, the mother, like she's 94 and she's racked up that much credit card debt?
Suze: Maybe we don't know how she's lived for the past x amount of years, and this goes back to what I think I said in last Sunday's, right, podcast. Kids get involved with your parents' money sooner than later. Parents, let your kids get involved with your money, because this situation never should have happened ever. And again, Mary, if it is only $10,000 of credit card debt, great. Each of you can put in $2,000 each, get rid of the debt, and you're fine, but no way is $10,000 doing this to your mother. No way. All right, KT.
KT: That's a wrap, Suze.
Suze: That's a wrap. And listen, next week, August 2nd, I'm gonna be doing a master class on required minimum distributions. You will love it, so make sure you tune in. We love you all, and there's only one thing we want you to remember when it comes to your money, and it is this:
KT: People first, then money, then things.
Suze: Now you stay safe. All right, bye bye.