S1: The tortoise. A podcast that digs deep. Into the power of slow. I'm your host, Brooke McAlary, and I am joined by my husband, Ben McElroy.
S2: What beautiful bird noises we're hearing outside.
S1: Unedited baby.
S2: What birds are those? That's a that's a cockatoo. That's a white cockatoo. And one of those.
S1: Songs, I think.
S2: So it's just been raining here, and I feel like they always do it once it's rained.
S1: Carol Wong's and Magpies love their warbling caroling sounds.
S2: Then non stop. It's nice. It is nice. It's really nice. Welcome to episode one of the Tortoise. What a momentous occasion.
S1: Isn't it just. Isn't it? Isn't it?
S2: I guess we wanted to first of all, just go through what it is the format of the podcast moving forward, because it's going to be obviously different to the Slow Home podcast. But we're going to be coming back to a number of, I don't know, reoccurring topics, if you like, throughout the episodes.
S1: Yeah, yeah, kind of segments, almost for want of a better word segment.
S2: That sounds highly produced.
S1: Well, this is not that. So take that back.
S2: Yeah. So we want to kick off today's conversation, talking about a topic that. I've been working on, if you like, or kind of the. Deliberating on. Yes. For for a couple of months. And we also want to the idea behind this podcast is to deep dive onto a topic into a topic. So we've read quite a lot on the topic. We're not going to not always cite resources, but it's just our observations based on what we've read and what we've heard and what we've looked at.
S1: And viewing stuff through the lens of SLO, you know, and the lens that we've developed ourselves over many years of trying to live a slower kind of countercultural. Way of life, you know? Yeah. Yeah. So it's kind of viewing. Things that they expand beyond the home. And I guess that's one of the things that I really. Wanted to move away from. As much as I loved the slow home pod to move beyond that, you know, into work, into community, into health, into family, into all that sort of stuff that didn't necessarily fit neatly into the conversation around home, even though we tried to be as expensive as possible with that, I think some of the stuff that we're going to tackle that we plan on tackling this year on the Tortoise is. It's just not necessarily stuff that we felt we could talk about on the podcast as it was. So yeah, I'm excited to be able to do that with. Freedom, you know? Sounds like we were locked in. We weren't. But, you know, it just feels.
S2: Exciting. Yeah, it does. It really does. It feels refreshing. It feels. We've got our podcast, I got my Bud cast, baby. We've got our podcast format back, which is Feels nice.
S1: It does go nice. Yeah. So yeah, today we're going to dig into that topic and then we've also got an article that I wanted to talk about because I kind of it's really nice, but it's all.
S3: Yeah.
S1: Yeah. There's an article that I would like to talk about because it kind of came up over on the tortoise Substack a few weeks ago, and I've been thinking about it a lot since, and then we're going to have a check in and. Yeah.
S2: All right. Well, that's the format. Very loose, but that's, I don't know, come to expect that because that's what it's going to be like moving forward. So join with us now. Grab your favorite cup of something, whatever it is. Cup of Joe. Cup of water. Glass of water. What are you drinking, bro?
S1: Absolutely nothing.
S2: Me neither. We need to probably hydrate. Let's get into it. Translation for that is Brooke, how are you?
S1: Oh, I'm very well, Mr. Cockatoo. Thank you for asking.
S2: So this is a check in. We're going to do this every episode. So. Yeah. Tell us, how are you joining us today?
S1: Uh, I'm joining you wrapped in a blanket. I feel like I'm fighting off a virus if I'm being perfectly transparent with you. But I'm all right. I went to bed at, like, 8:00 last night. I'm pretty early. Feeling well rested, felt necessary, and I'm good. I'm good. How about you?
S2: Um. I don't feel quite as rested. Disclosure. Recently, I. I invested in one of these. Fitness trackers. And become a kind of obsessed with it.
S1: This is the problem that people find with them. And you.
S4: Know what? I get it.
S2: I think I will be obsessed for the first two weeks and then I'll be like, That's my personality. It's like, okay, this is cool and I'll obsess about it. And then I'll be like, Oh, that's not worth obsessing about. So it's like the length of like the optimal length of sleep you're getting and the quality of the sleep and your sleep score and recovery and strain and all that sort of stuff. So I'm, I'm lying in bed going, Ben, relax, because your sleep score isn't going to be good if you don't go to sleep soon.
S1: I get it though. So I've worn one of those rings like a sleep tracking ring for a couple of years. And the first probably month that I wore it, it was the first thing I'd check in the morning, you know, And. Uh, the nights that I would wake up in the morning, I felt like I had a pretty good sleep. And then I'd look at my sleep score and be like, it says, it was terrible. Oh, I'm so tired. Was I tired because my app told me that I didn't sleep well? Was I tired because I actually was tired? And you're right. Like that disappears after a while. It is still really helpful and really handy at tracking long term. It's good to be long.
S2: Term, right? Like it just can't be that short.
S1: But I think focusing on each night.
S4: Is that's.
S2: Going to be exhausting pretty quickly. Yeah. So I don't think I'll be obsessed with that moving forward.
S1: How was your sleep score last night, though? Just had a.
S2: 90%.
S4: It's pretty good. It's okay. It's pretty good. Yeah. I'm a sleeper. Yeah.
S1: You are. You're very talented.
S4: I'm pretty good at sleeping.
S2: But. Yeah, so I feel. I feel okay. I feel okay.
S1: Yeah. You've been sick the.
S4: Last couple weeks.
S2: And look, all all the symptoms of COVID. But didn't have it. But just exhausted. Just maybe like the old common cold.
S4: Right?
S1: Yeah. Well, it's. It's going around. It's doing its thing.
S4: Doing its thing.
S2: And it is sort of weird, isn't it, when you have a cold and you're like, but it's not COVID. And so you think people are going to be less sympathetic almost or. Yeah. Take you less, you know.
S4: Seriously. Seriously.
S2: Like, it's weird, isn't it? Yeah. It's still a cold. It's still were.
S1: You were sick. You were literally in bed for three days. So. And that does not really happen very often. Yeah. I'm glad you're feeling better.
S2: I'm feeling okay. So that's how. That's how we are today.
S4: Yep. As we.
S2: As we now move on to our, I guess, topic of the podcast.
S4: And do.
S1: We think that plug I think podcast is funny, but I don't really know.
S2: Time will tell.
S3: Okay.
S2: So we're going to talk about this idea of the four day working week.
S4: Hot.
S1: Button issue in Australia.
S4: At the moment really is.
S2: Like countless articles that have been written in the media recently following two Australian political parties coming out recently and putting forward a proposal or legislation for a four day workweek at full pay following a number of trials internationally. I think the US have led the way and I think the UK.
S4: The UK as well. There was a number of trials.
S1: There was there was a trial in Australia that has just ended and I think that a lot of the findings have gone into the report that was put towards the parliamentary committee recently because it was overwhelmingly positive. Yeah, funny.
S4: That well, this.
S2: Is the this is what we're seeing is that almost every article, 99% of the articles I've read, they're the results are all very, very positive from not only. Uh, the, the mental aspect of a mental health aspect of it, but from productivity, from morale, all the all like you look at all the indicators and they're all very, very positive. Based on what a four day workweek could look like now full disclosure at the beginning of this year, in January, you know, you'll always have well, is it a New Year's resolution or is it a theme? Is it a I don't know what it is. We don't we don't really do New Year's resolutions, but we do have things that we like to focus on this year and. For you. Remember, we're sitting. Sitting down at our kitchen table, and you came up with the concept of the 1%. Yes. And.
S1: Or I didn't.
S4: You didn't come up with it?
S1: I tapped into it myself. Yes.
S4: Yeah.
S2: And you. You started to explore that and what that could look like from a in a slow living lens. Yes. Which will go on to talk about in which you've written about.
S1: Yeah. And we'll link to all of this in show notes and whatnot. But yes.
S4: But then I was.
S2: Sort of. I was looking at. A post-COVID. Labor force and looking at why I chose to go out and essentially become self employed. And on that sort of freelance project based engagements with my clients.
S1: Which was how long ago?
S2: Well, that was back in 2016. Yeah. That was a decision. I guess, brought on by what we wanted to do in travel and what we wanted to do in terms of traveling and traveling with your books and doing book tours and like this was a thing that we just had to put in place before we were to do that. So we did that. And then purely it's like a lifestyle decision, really. It enables us to live. Out of Sydney. Where the commute is not as. Because we're not commuting every day. So it's not it's not as big a factor. Yes, we still travel in the city, but it's not every day.
S1: Yeah, well, you do. I don't. Yeah.
S4: Yeah, I do.
S2: Uh. And so the lifestyle changes that's brought on. Being self-employed have been massive and and for the most part very, very positive. But then COVID came along. Right?
S4: And yes, I have heard of it with COVID.
S2: Everyone was working home from home anyway.
S1: Pretty much, yeah.
S2: And so I felt and this is going to sound really privileged. What's in it for me? Where's my advantage now? Right. Do you know what I mean? Like, and I know that sounds really selfish, but it's. I took the risk of going out, and there's massive amount of risk involved in being self-employed. You carry a lot of that risk. There's no security. Well, the argument is there's never any security anyway.
S4: Yeah, but.
S1: Like, if you get booted by a client or that can happen, it can happen overnight. And it did happen overnight during COVID with multiple clients. It was like, Oh, sorry, there's no work for you anymore. One day there was, the next day there wasn't. So yes, there is absolutely a huge amount of risk. There's no sick leave. There's no holiday pay. There's no severance pay. There's none of that. None of this is surprising, but it is part of the risk of being self-employed and why it felt like such a leap for us back in 2016, even though, yes, we were doing it for reasons, good reasons, reasons that were values aligned, it was still very risky. And you were happy to take that risk because the payoff was flexibility. Work from home, able to all those travel, all that sort of stuff. And then COVID hit and then a majority of the workforce was able to do what you had been doing, essentially, which was working from home with that flexibility, you know, painting it in a very positive light. Now, at the time, it was bloody hard for everyone.
S4: 100%.
S2: Because you were also teaching your kids as.
S4: Well, right?
S1: For a lot of people. Yeah. And, you know, living through a global pandemic and all the uncertainty that came with that. But I remember your frustration because you're like, now everyone has the flexibility and the lifestyle stuff.
S2: It's a hybrid workforce now for the majority of white collar workers is wonderful. Yeah, it's awesome because the benefits are massive. Uh. So at the beginning of the year, recognizing all that, and I was like, Well, what's the next step? Like, what's the step that I could take as a self-employed person that that positions myself in front of the curve, if you like, makes you feel out of the workforce. Like I'm getting like a little bit of a cheat code, like I'm getting a a benefit that other people aren't at the moment, you know what I mean? Like just and just being sort of aware of what the future of work looks like really, and the trends. And so reading about this four day workweek, I'm like, giddy up. Like that sounds that sounds great. And so I was challenged myself at the beginning of the year. I spoke to you and I said, I'm going to as of. April trial, a four day work week. And you then you said quite rightly, what does that look like for your clients and how how do you actually how will you actually do that? And. That's when the I don't know, like the rubber hit the road was like that's that's a very hard as a self-employed person to to manage. Yeah because as an employed person if you want to go down if you want to do a four day work week, it's a one conversation.
S4: And a contract.
S1: Change to the contract or.
S4: Stuff.
S2: With me, it's having multiple conversations and you need to align all those conversations. Yeah. So that's where I'm up to. Full disclosure, That's where I'm up to is is sort of working out. How I have that conversations and convince people that. Of the research of the proof in the data of the trials that you will get increased productivity. You will get the same level of service. You get a happier Ben McAlary? Uh, yeah. So that's, that's where that's sort of where I've got to. And I've started to have those conversations.
S1: Yeah. And what does that look like?
S2: Um. I've just been quite open and honest and just saying I'm going to be unavailable on this day from this date. Right?
S1: And what's the response been typically?
S2: No problem.
S1: Interesting.
S2: Okay. This is only with, like, one client so far. Okay. I've only had that conversation, but, yeah, I've got to have it with multiples, but, like, that's. I was expecting.
S4: Something different.
S1: You're expecting pushback or.
S3: Yeah.
S1: Yeah. Do you think that, at least in part, the acceptance Hard to say when it was just one person or one one client that. In part, it's it's not a crazy idea anymore. Like the conversation publicly in the media is that a four day workweek has merit. Whether or not organizations are going to adopt it is a whole other thing. But there's merit there. And it is no longer like the outlier who is suggesting this. Do you think that that's at least part of the reason why there was no pushback?
S2: I think there was no pushback because I didn't say I'm having a four day working week. Right. Okay. I'm just having I'm not working for you on this day.
S1: I'm I'm unavailable.
S4: On this.
S1: Day from this date. Yeah.
S4: Okay.
S2: So I'm not saying it's the because I still think there's probably a lot of stigma around it.
S4: Do you? Yeah.
S1: Yeah. So you operate in that realm and don't so yeah.
S2: I mean, I think a lot of people with this sort of these sort of issues initially quite reluctant to want to be the the first in market to do it even though the trials are.
S4: Saying there's.
S1: Certainly nowhere near the first in market anymore.
S4: But yeah anymore but.
S2: Within Australia and look there's probably companies in Australia are already doing it. There is.
S4: Yeah, yeah, yeah there is.
S2: So yeah, so I so this is, this whole thing was based on. My level of not being able to disconnect from work because everyone has a right to disconnect from work.
S1: Yes, some countries are actually legislating that now.
S2: Yeah, exactly. So, you know, by not answering phone calls out of hours or emails outside of work hours. That's crept into my. Yes, my the way that I operate, particularly with the kids leaving home early before. Uh, earlier than previous years. They're heading off earlier. They're both in high school now, so. There's more time for me to be in front of my computer. And I recognizing this. I'm. There's no benefit Like there's. That's annoyed me that I've just gone. Well I can fill that with with work and productivity for the sake of productivity.
S4: Right.
S1: Are you? Do you think you're getting through more work because of that, or are you?
S2: I really don't.
S4: Know. No.
S1: It's hard for you to track.
S2: Yeah, I really don't know.
S1: So that's that's interesting that the frustration with, like, productivity creep and. Email creep and, you know. Availability creep has flagged with you because mean I've noticed it, but I think that that's also a quite a common problem at the moment with the hybrid lots more people working from home more. There's huge amounts of research being done and, you know, articles being written about. Exactly that. The boundaries have blurred significantly for people, you know, between work and home and tech always made it tricky. But the fact that home is work for a lot of people now. Yeah, yeah.
S4: That's yeah.
S1: Is making it harder again for people to extricate themselves mentally. So that's interesting that that has kind of been highlighted to you as well. Yeah.
S2: Let me ask you this question. Okay. Do you think we are working more than we did, say, 20 to 30 years ago?
S1: How do you mean? More like.
S4: Hours.
S2: Hours in a week? Do you think we're working more as an average?
S1: Yes. Without like more context than that. Like you're talking about Australia, what kind of workers are you talking about? All that sort of stuff. But yes, I would say that yes, we are.
S2: In the developed world in what I call richer nations. We are working far less than we did 30 years ago, which absolutely shocks me because I feel like. I wasn't in the workforce 30 years ago.
S4: No, but I.
S2: Kind of was 20 years ago.
S1: You definitely were 20 years ago.
S2: But as a as a as a. Average. The population is working. Far less. There's a few reasons for this. So casualisation of the workforce, right? More people working part time compared to 20 or 30 years ago.
S4: The gig economy, gig economy.
S2: So all these all these new sort of labor forces.
S1: Which are far less secure, far.
S4: Less secure.
S2: Um, generally pay far less, uh.
S1: Zero benefits. Zero like, yeah.
S2: Like not zero, but yes, less benefits and all that sort of stuff. So. Yeah. To me, I was like, wow, that that's. That's shocking. Yeah, we are. Mental health is, you know, it's never been.
S1: Worse. Yeah. And burnout is huge. That's really interesting. So why.
S4: Is that?
S1: I think that being on constant, this is just my theory. This is not based in anything scientific. I think that people are just constantly on, you know, and even if they are not working, I know this is the case for a lot of people who work in hospitality, for example, or health care because of the casualisation of the workforce, they need to be ready to say yes to a shift tomorrow, today, tonight, whatever, you know, so people aren't given the opportunity for what was the traditional 48 hours away from work or more, you know, so people don't ever get that time to decompress. And I'd say that a lot of people like information workers and, you know, people who even aren't in those casualised sort of industries are feeling the same for different reasons because they're constantly attached to their email. They're getting text messages. They are expected to answer the phone even if it is out of work hours. So again, people aren't getting the time to decompress. So it feels like we are working more, even if, as you say, on average it's on the average is important. On average, people are working less.
S2: Because 30 years ago people didn't need a dual income to survive, right?
S4: Right. Yeah.
S2: And now that's pretty useful.
S1: It's pretty much par for the course. Of course. Yeah. If you're in a in a relationship and your cost of living. Is such that there is virtually no way one partner. Yeah can. And everything you need in order to make ends meet. And that's even looking back, like when we grew up, my mom was at home until I was in primary school, so she got a job when I was in primary school, part time job. Even that like that. I would have said years ago that that was stereotyped. Like that was the typical situation. It wasn't like even, you know, 30, 40 years ago. That wasn't necessarily the the the typical situation, but it was more common. Like now, it's I think it would be quite uncommon. I could be wrong, but I mean, again. Where's the census data? And I can tell you that, yeah, I think it would be uncommon. Yeah. So cost of living is a huge part of it too. Huge. And then you so you've got stress of meeting the rising cost of living. Wages are not increasing. Wages are decreasing on in a in a real world sense. Um. It's brutal. So I think that. It makes sense that we feel that we're working more even if we're working less.
S2: Now, I do need to put a caveat. There's a huge difference between richer and poorer nations with this. So richer nations are working fewer hours.
S4: On average, on average.
S2: Poorer nations are working far more. Right. Okay. So, yeah, look at like agricultural intensive industry within developing nations and they're working. 24 over seven. So the average is greater there. So I think innovation tech has a lot to do with it, but it's not the answer. Right? Like at the end of the day, it's a tool. And technology as a tool is winning.
S5: Yep.
S1: Yeah, it's it's interesting, though, if we come back to the four day workweek for. People like you, people like me, who, you know, work mostly on computers. Where knowledge workers. There is an argument that a four day work week will be made more broadly possible by. Embracing what tech offers for efficiency sake, whether that's AI, whether that's, you know, just being smarter with the way that we use technology to reduce what is required of us. That sounds all well and good until you put your corporate overlord hat on and they're like, Oh, are you doing less work? So we won't pay you as much? You can have a four day workweek, but we'll pay you for days. That's not what a four day workweek promises. A four day workweek, as it's being discussed at the moment is about working for four days a week.
S4: Same pace, same.
S1: Benefits, same pay, same benefits. Yes. So I think that's an important distinction to make. We're not talking about robots taking our jobs. And giving us less work to do because that will ultimately just result in us. Being paid less. That's not really the point. Although there is some evidence that certain parts of the workforce would take a pay cut if.
S4: They'd be able.
S2: To have a full day.
S4: Yes, but.
S1: I don't think that's most people.
S3: Yeah. Yeah. Um.
S2: So anyway, come with us on this journey as I explore the four day workweek and what that looks like. So I'm not doing it now. Like, it's not hasn't started yet. I'm in the process of managing expectations around it. Yeah.
S1: Which takes me to this article on The Guardian or the AFR actually, which I'll link to in the show notes that spoke to a number of. Managers for different organizations of different kinds of businesses that trialed the four day workweek. And I thought it was really interesting because one of them was like a larger corporate office, you know, that you would typically think of as well suited for a four day workweek. So they were involved. But there was also a fish and chip shop somewhere in the UK because that's a an argument that I often hear that's against the four day workweek, which is tradespeople, service.
S4: And.
S1: Anyone who works in service industry, hospitality, health care, that sort of stuff. It's not well suited to a four day workweek. And absolutely that is the case for some industries and some work. There is no way around that. But I still don't think that that's a good reason for it to not be applicable to certain industries when possible. So it was really interesting to see the different challenges that those two businesses faced. So the corporate business, he joked and he said, like, I think it was six months of six day weeks in order to prepare us for the four day workweek. And because, you know, you think about having to look at everyone's job description and what their outputs are and, you know, what the flow on effects of changing that. Like, let's say they don't no one works on a Wednesday. What does that look like for their suppliers and for their customers and all that sort of stuff? So there was a huge amount of preparation in order to. Take part in this trial. And then the fish and chip shop like they're seasonal, right? So they are in a coastal tourist town. There is 3 or 4 months of the year where it is simply not feasible for them to work four days a week, even if. And I'd read somewhere recently about like somewhere in the States, maybe that was giving hospitality workers the option of working their five days of eight hour shifts or working four days of ten hour shifts. So, you know, that has always been something that I was curious about as an option for hospitality. But instead of doing that, this fish and chip shop owner, um. Made it known, I guess, that during peak season, his workers, his employees would work longer hours and in the off season they would work 32 hours a week as opposed to a higher workload. And then in the slow season, they would work 24 hours a week all for the same pay. Yeah. So there'd be periods where they would work very full time hours and then periods where they work part time hours for full time pay. And that seemed to work really well for them to the point where they're going to continue with the the equivalent of a four day workweek.
S4: It's so powerful.
S2: That it's such long term thinking and the the scarcity mindset of a of an employer. And if I put myself in the shoes of that owner of that fish and chip shop, it would be okay. So I'm I'm taking on these employees at any time they could leave. You know what? If they're leaving in the slow season when they're not, um, or they're just here for the slow season. Right. Sorry. They're just here for the slow season and they're getting paid full pay, not working a, you know, full day or full week. And and then when it comes and when it comes busier, they leave. Sure. Do you know what I mean?
S4: So invested all this fear based, fee based.
S2: And so that's that's just a whole psyche change. Yeah.
S1: And it's got to me it's about becoming human centered rather than profit centered. And I know I live in an idealist world in my own head. I understand that. And I'm so often frustrated by the fact that others don't, you know. And so for me, I always pass things through the lens of people first. And I know that that's not how the world works, but that's what we need to do if we want to embrace that. Uh, the abundance based mindset rather than the fear based mindset that you described. But that's not taking into account the wellbeing of employees. So maybe someone's like, Yeah, maybe I will come in for the flu season and work three months at part time and get paid full time. But at the end of those three months, perhaps they are so enamored with the fact that the employer. Writes their well-being so highly that they've realized they've become loyal to this person. Absolutely. You know, they've realized that actually I'm not going to get this sense, this level of investment in my well being anywhere else. So I'm going to stay, you know, and.
S2: The value that that would have is incredible. Yeah.
S1: Yeah, I think it's I think it's really interesting in case study.
S4: It is. Yeah. Thank you. Good. Yeah.
S1: I liked it because it wasn't the traditional white collar example.
S2: So what I'm going to try instead of the four day workweek is a six month on and then six month off.
S1: But there are people who do that too. What there are so people I mean, these are people and like someone who does the work I do could possibly do something like that. You know, writers, creators. Um. Creatives could potentially do that. Like you work intensively on a project, a book, a movie or whatever. And you put everything you have into it and then you go on sabbatical for six months.
S2: Oh, that's amazing.
S4: But there aren't there are.
S1: People who do it. They weren't.
S2: I couldn't do it. But it.
S4: Sounds amazing.
S1: No, you couldn't do it with the work that you do. I don't think most actually, I.
S2: Don't think I could even if I could, if you know what I mean. Yeah. Okay. Like six months being on for six months, not having any break, you know, just powering through. I think I get pretty sick.
S1: Yeah. And that. I don't know. All I know is that I had read that certain people do that and they seem to love it. So, you know.
S3: Yeah.
S1: And I mean, what's on right is on like 40 hours a week is on 80 hours a week is on 120 hours a week. Yeah. Yeah. So the flip side, though, to the four day workweek and I think it's pretty obvious we are. Absolutely. In the camp of yes, four day work week for so many reasons. For people's well-being.
S4: Well enough to trial it. Yeah.
S1: Yes, sure. I mean. I am anyway, because. Anything that can lead to people being more well, people feeling more grounded, people having time and space and buffer and margin in their life to. Live differently. I'm awful. Yeah. You know. But also, as I said, I know that that's an idealists. Uh, view of the world. Nothing wrong with that.
S6: But I understand that, but.
S1: So the flip side of it is. The laziness implication. A lot of people will imply or assume that there is laziness attached to this desire to only want to work four days a week. I disagree completely. It's people wanting to find some measure of balance in their life. And I think that. If it was rolled out widely, we would discover that in fact people weren't being lazy. Productivity doesn't decrease people's happiness, people's wellbeing, people's mental and physical health, improve their relationships, improve communities, improve and look, look at the flow on effect. That's what I believe would happen. But you cannot. Have this conversation without someone piping up saying it's just young people being lazy. And you.
S2: Know what? That's the capitalist society we live in. And I don't want to get too deep into this this. But capitalism by definition, is productivity being as productive as possible and earning. A living based on that.
S4: Productivity, even.
S1: Even like my argument for that is they've shown that productivity increases on a four day week anyway like this. The trial has shown that it's like 25% increase. To me, that's not the point. But regardless that that takes that argument away.
S2: It does. And that's why and that's essentially while why it's been considered by so many companies.
S4: Right, because of.
S1: The bottom line.
S4: The productivity, not because.
S1: People are happier or healthier.
S4: That's a nice side effect.
S3: Oh, God.
S1: So depressing.
S2: But capitalism's capitalist theory is that. Yeah. We need to be productive. If we're not, that's then we're sitting idle and that's wastage. So that's why when we when when you sit there and do nothing, you're subconsciously thinking I should be doing something.
S4: Oh, it's.
S1: Been completely ingrained into us. 100%. Yeah. But also, I would I would posit that the fear is people who have time on their hands have time to think, and people who think people are people who start to think critically about the world we live in and perhaps we can do it differently. And perhaps.
S4: We.
S2: Go, we're going.
S4: Down a rabbit hole.
S1: No, I'm not going to go. But but honestly, I do believe that that is. I don't think there's any one puppet master pulling those strings. But I think that over time that has become the norm, is that people are far more likely to buy stuff, to buy into things, to, you know, become a cog in the marketing machine that is the world if we don't have time to stop and think. Yep. Truly. And that's why I think that slow living can be a genuinely world changing idea because it gives people the opportunity to stop and think and it is uncomfortable. The things that you stop and think about are uncomfortable. But. I. I truly believe that there is an element to this work, work, work, work mentality that is about. Air control sounds ridiculous, but it's about maximizing money.
S4: Yeah, it's about money. Yeah. Yeah.
S2: How funny. I'm just smirking because I'm thinking about my check in and how I'm. Now I've got a fitness tracker, and it's all about optimization and productivity.
S6: Is it, though, that's one side or is it about well-being?
S7: Oh, that's true.
S2: There's an argument for both.
S4: There is?
S1: Yeah. It depends how you use it.
S4: Yeah.
S1: If you're like, using it to hack, like, biohacking and and whatnot, then, you know, perhaps that's, that's.
S6: That's about.
S1: You know, reaching your optimum potential versus well being or, you know, um. Navigating life in a way that creates the least amount of stress. Yeah.
S2: Yeah. Anyway, so that's the four day workweek. This is going to be a recurring topic. I'm going to. I'm not going to spend a lot of time on it in future episodes, but I will provide an update on what it's looking like and how I'm managing expectations. And yeah.
S1: So just from you personally rather than the global. Exactly.
S4: Exactly.
S1: Can I ask you a question before we move on? Sure. One of the other arguments against the four day workweek is that people will use their day off to go and get another job. And that will in turn lead to either poorer performance in their main job the four day a week job or burnout. I can absolutely see how people would do that, because the cost of living crisis is very real and brutal and people are struggling to make ends meet. So I get that concern.
S2: People have got side hustles now and a five day work rate. Yeah.
S1: So that would just free them up to do their side hustle on another day.
S6: Yeah. Yeah, that's that's a good point.
S1: I hadn't really.
S6: Thought about that, but.
S1: I'd love to know what percentage of people do have some kind of side hustle.
S2: Yeah, that would be interesting, actually.
S3: Yeah.
S1: So I think. Okay, let's like, follow that argument through though, which is. Yes. Let's say people move to a four day workweek. They go and get another job to. Boost their bank account. Will that lead to burnout? Probably. But people are already burning out on five days anyway. So what do we do as a society? Like, how do we. Negate that need for people to feel like they or not just feel like they have to to have to go and get a second job to plug the gap. We raise wages. We look at things like universal basic income. You know, like this is where the opportunity for creativity and leadership really comes in. I'm not asking you to like, give your personal thoughts on it, but to me, it's just an interesting offshoot of the conversation. It's like, how human centered can we make the economy? And what would the. Flow on effects of that be.
S2: So the skeptics will will no doubt have that argument in their back pockets. When more organizations move to the four day workweek. Just as like hybrid work, the hybrid workforce and the skeptics around people working from home have come out and said it's not good for collaboration and it's not good for mental health. And like, do you know what I mean? Like, there's always going to be people that Sure.
S4: Of which they.
S1: I think that there is some merit to those arguments based on individual people, based on the work that they do, based on the organizations they work for. I'm not I'm not pooh poohing that at all. And I don't think that there is a one size fits all. Like just because I am a super introverted person who. Very happily works in my own company doesn't mean that that's going to suit everyone, you know. And I think that hybrid tends to be what is working for people like on the main. Yeah. Now as we move into whatever comes post lockdowns and um. Yeah.
S4: Sorry I interrupted you.
S2: So the question is, honey, what am I going to do with that one day that I don't want?
S4: I don't know. What are you going to do?
S2: Um, well, I think that's another discussion. Okay. Because.
S4: Yeah, you don't know yet.
S2: Well, no, I have. I kind of do know what I'm going to be doing. Okay. And it will be upskilling based on the work that I do and it becoming redundant in the next three years.
S1: Yeah. So this is another conversation.
S2: This is a this is another conversation which we will have. Yeah. But yeah, let's do it in another episode. Okay, let's get on to.
S8: Hobbies?
S1: Yes. So this part of the conversation was sort of prompted by an article that I read.
S6: And The Guardian.
S1: Maybe I'll link to it in the show notes.
S6: About the.
S1: Benefits of having hobbies that we are mediocre at.
S6: Like things that we suck at. And it was written by someone who has.
S1: Been surfing for 20 or 30 years and is still genuinely terrible at it, but loves it, loves it because they are genuinely terrible at it. And they had a perspective that I had not.
S6: Uh, really considered.
S1: Before, which was that if you want to, if your aim is to get better at something, a hobby, for example, then you open up. The prospect of failure. So trying to get better means that you can fail. So they're like, I don't want to try and get better because this is something I enjoy as it is just for the sheer love of it, trying to get better, getting lessons, whatever. Watching YouTube tutorials like that then changes my mindset away from one of enjoyment to one of improvement. And I had never considered that before. But I think that there's definitely an element of truth to it. The comments were so interesting because most people had this very capitalistic mentality of like, Why wouldn't you want to get better at it? Whereas this person was like, I don't because I don't want to. I just don't want I love.
S6: Sucking at it.
S1: Yeah, because it is enjoyable, because it is an exercise in movement or mindfulness or play or whatever it is not about.
S6: Getting better. What do you think about that?
S4: It's such a.
S2: Look. Five years ago, I would have been on the whole. Just give up now.
S4: Like, why?
S1: If I'm not going to be good, I'm not going to do it.
S4: Exactly.
S2: But. I really love embracing the beginner mindset. Being a beginner. In something. It's so cool.
S6: Okay. That is very different to how you used to be.
S4: Because.
S2: You don't get those first. Big, like baby steps again. Like when you when you do something new. Those those little baby steps, they're so enjoyable because they're so basic and they're so they're so hard. And it's funny, like how hard it is. And just embracing that beginner mindset is those and also when you're a beginner. You get better really, really quickly.
S6: I think that's the opposite to the point of the article.
S2: But it's inevitable, right?
S4: Like if you.
S6: Apparently not.
S2: Come on. If they've been surfing for 30 years. They they would have started by not being able to actually stand up on the surface.
S6: Okay, I get your point.
S2: They now would be able to stand up on the surfboard.
S1: I'm assuming.
S4: So I.
S2: Don't.
S4: So there's a big thing, isn't it? There's a big.
S2: Difference between laying on a board and surfing. Do you know what I mean? Yeah, the. Yeah. So I guess you're right. I'm still in that camp of. But.
S6: And you are like, I am.
S1: I am you and I learnt to ski.
S6: At the same.
S1: Time, right? We did it with no lessons. We took a chairlift to the top of a mountain, strapped skis to our feet and we're like, Let's get to the bottom.
S4: Because that's how we.
S2: Learnt to snowboard like 20, 20 years.
S4: Before.
S6: It's infuriating because you're like.
S1: Captain Competent.
S6: And you're like, It's fine. You just lean into it. You just use your edges. I'm like, What are you talking about?
S1: And it took me so long to get to the same point that you got to within the first day. So I think that you are just someone who. At least with physical, like hobbies, things like that. You have that. Natural capacity to learn on the fly to embody your lessons really quickly. I'm not.
S2: So maybe this question is for you then, because yeah, I took that whole article and the whole theme and embracing the beginner mindset because I love Yeah, I love that feeling of learning something new because you do make huge strides very quickly, or I do.
S1: Do you then get bored.
S6: With something like once you've.
S1: Gotten beyond the beginner mindset and you're at like an intermediate.
S2: So the gains, the gains and advantages slow down? Yeah.
S4: Do you then.
S1: Get bored and give up?
S2: Well then it will come down to how much I really want to do something right. Is, you know, am I. Am I benefiting from it? Is it fun?
S4: Right, Right.
S2: Yeah. Which kind of taps into the themes of that article. They're doing it because they just love it, right? Like, they just. It's pure. Like, just. Enjoyment. Okay. So my question for you then is. Talk about. Pottery as an example of a hobby that you've started. Later in the next couple of years.
S4: What's that been like?
S1: It's been really interesting, actually. And this is what I wanted. This is why I wanted to touch on this topic, because I wrote about it a couple of weeks ago and got some really interesting responses. So I started pottery. I don't know. You bought me like a class pass Class Promise 2021.
S4: Yeah, right. Okay.
S1: And I went for three months, absolutely loved it and fell in love with it.
S6: Immediately and within. I'm going to say 3 or 4 weeks.
S1: I was coming.
S6: Home.
S1: And saying things to you.
S6: Like.
S1: I'd like I'd love to start my own little pottery studio.
S2: And start selling some. Yeah, I.
S6: Mean, I could barely throw like, anything at this point.
S2: You had a store somewhere, like.
S4: You know, like. Yeah.
S6: And this is a pattern.
S1: That I have followed over and over and over. It is literally how I ended up with an accidental jewelry label that lasted me six years. I enjoyed making jewelry, and suddenly people are like.
S6: You should, you should sell these at markets.
S1: I'm like, Yeah, should. And it gave a reason or a purpose to what was previously a hobby. And that's where I landed with pottery as well. I'm like, Well, if I'm going to be spending this time and money doing this thing, it should pay its own way. And I've since walked that back because I realized that I stopped enjoying it as much when I started to think about what it would look like to have a creative side hustle like that. Um, and it's, it's not the reason I was doing it, the reason I wanted to do it and the reason I actually really enjoyed it is because it is a, it's a sensory creative experience. And when I'm at the pottery studio.
S6: I don't think about anything else. I just make and it's delightful.
S1: And even if I have.
S6: To drag myself there.
S1: Really don't want to go. Other stuff that I should be doing every time I go and sit down. I'm grateful and I'm so glad that I showed up. So I shared a quote over on the tortoise a couple of weeks ago from Tricia Hersey, who is the founder of the NAP Ministry. And people had some thoughts on it.
S6: Okay.
S1: Yeah. So her quote is being booked and busy is not a flex to me. Being relaxed and aligned and living in leisure with hobbies you don't monetize is a flex to me. You'll be proud of overworking and constant labor. It makes no sense.
S6: And I get why people were.
S1: Rattled by that, because it really does challenge our.
S6: Mentality. And the one.
S1: That I have carried around with me for a very long time of this needs to make monetary sense. So that was I think it ruffled some feathers because and I don't necessarily say that I agree with that in like a black and white sense, I think that there's going to be a whole spectrum of.
S6: People's experience.
S1: Around hobbies. And sometimes people do take up a hobby and they realize that they could genuinely make it a side hustle or their work.
S6: That's how I became a.
S1: Writer by doing that. That's true. You know, it was a hobby for a very, very long time before I ever earned a cent from it. So I have no issue with monetizing our hobbies. But I think it's just interesting that that is. Almost always my go to first and I have to walk myself back from it.
S6: So yeah, I think that the idea of having.
S1: Hobbies that are simply for enjoyment sake.
S6: Is something that.
S1: I'm going to keep.
S6: Exploring.
S3: What are your hobbies?
S2: My hobbies are, I guess is fitness or hobby? No, that's a that's a, I guess a a category onto itself, isn't it?
S4: Yeah.
S1: I mean, is a hobby something that you do without purpose?
S4: Like it's almost like.
S2: Saying is meditation or.
S4: Hobby. I don't know.
S1: That has purpose to everything, has purpose or if you want it to. Yeah, I mean you.
S2: I don't have a traditional hobby, I will say that.
S1: So you're learning Japanese?
S4: Yeah.
S1: Would you classify that as a hobby?
S4: I don't know. Yeah, I don't know either.
S2: Because I do want to be a translator.
S6: By the time you're 80. That's what you're up skilling for?
S3: Exactly. Yeah.
S1: So, okay, you learn Japanese and there is obviously a purpose to that, which is to be able to speak Japanese. But, you know, are you doing it because you enjoy it for the process or are you doing it because of the outcome?
S2: I'm doing it to. Improve my mental. Physical mental.
S4: Power. Okay. Okay. So it's a brain.
S2: A brain power type. Thing is. Yeah, that's basically what I'm doing it. And next time I go to Japan, I'd like to be able to converse.
S3: Sure. That's a cool.
S6: Yeah, cool kind of goal.
S1: You play golf? Would you say golf as a hobby?
S2: It's not a sport, that's for sure.
S3: Oh.
S1: Well, then his chest was bought.
S2: Yeah. So I think I have a lot in saying I don't have traditional hobbies. I have a lot of things that I like to do that are either leisure, leisure based.
S6: You're describing hobbies.
S1: You surf.
S4: Okay, Surfing.
S1: We stand up, paddle board.
S2: You know, fitness, CrossFit type, exercising, um, video games. Reading. Reading.
S4: Yeah. Playing guitar. Playing guitar. Yeah.
S1: You don't have any hobbies?
S2: Okay, but I kind of. I don't have like a hobby that I would hang my head on. Of all those things, like what am I like? What's my main hobby? I don't think I could tell. You know, I don't think I'd have one.
S6: You're multi potential, right?
S2: Yeah. I would love to have a hobby. And I. I envy the people that have their one hobby that they are just. It's almost all consuming.
S3: But then that.
S4: Goes like back to like.
S2: A train. A toy train. Yeah. Okay.
S1: Model the Walt Disney Neil Young type.
S4: Yeah. Yeah.
S2: I would never do that. That does not interest me, but the equivalent.
S4: Right. Okay.
S1: When you said train, I thought of that guy who is like, huge on TikTok and YouTube, you know, the guy who wears the head mounted.
S6: And he's forget his.
S1: Name, but he's obsessed with.
S6: He's just so joyful.
S2: The passion. That's what I want. I want that passion. Right.
S6: So then going back to the article that like led us into this part of the.
S1: That's almost the opposite of that. So this person, the surfer, is like, I do it, you know, Saturday morning and it is. It is this window of time where I happily suck and then I move on with my life and it's like it's enjoyable for what it is, but it is not all consuming. It is not like my great passion. Yeah, I'm not saying there's like, right or wrong. I just think it's really interesting that.
S6: We can.
S1: Create space in our lives for hobbies and they can take up vastly different amounts of emotional space. That's so.
S2: True. Yeah.
S6: Yeah. And I go through periods.
S1: I think, where I have almost an obsession with certain hobbies. And then there's other ones that I just slip in and out of because they are literally enjoyable. And so I pop in and I enjoy them and then I pop out. Mm.
S4: Hobbes. Hobbes.
S2: Man, they're.
S7: Weird.
S1: I would love to know people listening. What your hobbies are because.
S6: People have really cool hobbies.
S4: Oh so.
S2: Cool. I get hobby envy.
S3: That's interesting.
S2: Why I surface level hobby.
S6: But that's okay.
S2: I don't want to be like that surfer.
S6: Why you're having a really hard time with that. Why?
S7: Because I don't like it. Sucks to suck.
S6: I think it's enjoyable to suck.
S7: This is me saying at the beginning of this conversation.
S2: Being a beginner is so joyful.
S3: I don't think you.
S6: Believed that.
S1: Even when you said.
S3: It.
S2: I'm gonna have to take that one day just to do some self.
S7: Self analysis.
S4: Yeah.
S3: Okay.
S6: Yeah. So let us know what your hobbies are.
S1: So when I say, let us know that we have a new home, by the way, on the Internet. If you. So I'm writing on Substack. I'm writing a weekly newsletter called The Tortoise.
S6: Funnily.
S1: Enough, over on Substack. And that's where you're going to find Shownotes for episodes moving forward. So there will be a link in the app or whatever app you're listening to this on. There'll be a link there that will take you over to the tortoise on Substack. But it's Brooke McAlary. Substack. Com is the name and. You can just search for the episode number for each episode of The Tortoise moving forward and you'll find all the show notes. So obviously today's episode one, any links that we any papers, any articles that we talk about will link to there? But while you're there, let us know what your hobbies are because Ben needs some new ones.
S3: Thank you. Yes.
S6: So final segment. I know you love the idea.
S1: Of segments.
S6: Is a brief check.
S1: In. So this is where we will talk about typically about your.
S3: Uh.
S1: Movements towards a four day workweek.
S4: Okay. Yep.
S2: So this is the regular check in part. Yeah.
S3: Okay.
S1: But we're not going to do that because.
S6: We've already done that today.
S1: And you're now going to ask me.
S6: About my.
S4: My running.
S2: Like a well oiled machine. So one so beginning of the year, four day work week for me. One percenters for you. Has the 1%. Movement going.
S6: Movement.
S1: It's going you know what? It's been a phenomenal. It's had a phenomenal impact on.
S6: The way I spend my time.
S1: So I'm not going to kind of rehash it all here. We spoke about it a little bit on the last couple of episodes of the Slow Home podcast. So if you haven't listened to those, you can just go back a couple of episodes. Same feed in the same feed.
S4: Same feed.
S1: Take a listen to those. But I also wrote quite a lengthy post about it.
S6: On The.
S1: Tortoise that you can go and read. But essentially.
S6: It's.
S1: Using the idea of 1% as a tool. So either 1% of our day being 15 minutes roughly of our day, what can I do for 15 minutes that will be values aligned that will make me feel better, that will move me a step closer towards, you know, a goal or something that I'm working towards. That's one way of using it. The other way of using the 1% is what is something that I can do that will improve or change or grow. An area of my life by 1%, you know, and that can be something tiny, that can be, um, you know, making that small extra effort in whatever area it is in life, a relationship, work, creativity, play health, and just embracing the idea of continuous, gradual, slow and steady improvement.
S6: So that's it in a nutshell. You can hear Joey snoring behind me, and it's been phenomenal. So I.
S1: Every morning when I wake up.
S6: I.
S1: Write in a log book. It's something that Austin Kleon writes about and I have copied. And essentially I go over the day before and I look at the day before.
S6: I know what he's really going for it. I look at the day before.
S1: And I think about what 1% I have attempted or I have managed, you know, and it might be something like.
S6: Stretching in the morning.
S1: To me, that's a 1% improvement in the way that I feel during the day.
S6: Physically, it can.
S1: Be journaling, It can be taking the extra time to sit with the.
S6: Kids when.
S1: They go to bed. It can be taking the dogs for a walk. It can be literally 15 minutes spent exercising. It can be 15 minutes spent weeding the garden. And I just make a note of all of those things. And two things have happened. I think I'm looking for more opportunities to make those tiny shifts that make no.
S6: Material.
S1: Difference to my output, but make a huge difference over the course of a week or a month or a year.
S6: Absolutely.
S1: So I'm looking for opportunities to do it. But I'm also seeing that I've been doing lots of 1%.
S6: Anyway anyway.
S1: And that is empowering. Yeah, that's going okay. I know what's important to me and.
S6: I'm already.
S1: Living like it. That feels really.
S6: Great.
S1: Yeah. So I.
S6: Try every.
S1: Month to have a different.
S6: Focus.
S1: Just to see, you know, what I can do with this 1%. And this month I've been focusing on getting back to writing my middle grade kids novel.
S6: And it has been unbelievable the.
S1: Difference that the 1% has made. So for the first couple of weeks of the month, I spent 15 minutes after writing my log book in the morning, just working through my old drafts, just looking at them, making notes, um, noting down anything, you know, structural story stuff that needs to happen. And then for the second half of the month, I'm now able to outline. The entire book is really.
S3: Hard to concentrate with you snoring like that.
S7: Unedited.
S6: Yep, very candid. This is life. So, yeah, and.
S1: Spending that 15 minutes a day has allowed me to now sit down and do more intensive work of outlining. So it's more like 1%, but for a week. So I'll sit down for maybe two hours on a Saturday or a Sunday and work on it. And I'm at the point now where I've started a brand new draft and have a complete outline for the entire book, which I've never had before.
S6: Incredible. And that's all from just to the 1%.
S4: Yeah.
S6: So I knew theoretically that.
S1: 1% a day would make a difference. And it adds up to way more than just the effort of a singular day. It becomes very quickly, far greater than the sum of its parts.
S6: I knew that.
S1: But seeing it in a very real sense has been so cool. So, yes, it is going well. The 1% is going well. And I think what I'll end up finding.
S6: A need for is tilting. Yeah.
S1: You know, because.
S6: You add add.
S1: 15 1% to your day and all of a sudden.
S6: Your days just 15% Fuller Yeah. You know. Yeah.
S1: That's not what this is about. It's not about. Exponential growth. It's just about a slow, steady commitment to.
S3: A thing.
S1: And in.
S9: That.
S1: In that capacity. It's been really genuinely powerful.
S6: And.
S2: It's amazing. Some may argue that the 1% is basically a productivity tool.
S6: And you can argue that that's fine.
S1: I think it depends how what lens you look at it through. But there is absolutely endless research that shows that deep, concerted effort over short periods of time is often far more productive.
S4: I would believe that.
S6: Then spending an eight hours a day, you know, half doing.
S4: Things well, my.
S2: Japanese lessons are that's my 1% at the moment is all around just doing 15 minutes a day. And. Anymore and you become so firstly so fatigued with it. Right? And because it's new information, too. So it's sort of like it's pretty intensive like what you're learning. But I enjoy it now. Like, I look forward to that 15 minutes of of learning Japanese. I'm using Duolingo. I know there's a number of apps out there, but that's the one I'm using and I'm just having a lot of fun with it. Yeah. I'd previously studied it at school, so I came to it with quite a bit of base knowledge. Yeah. And just. I look forward to in 12 months, seeing.
S6: Where you're at with where I'm at? Absolutely. Yeah.
S1: And I think that would be a fantastic measure of the benefits of the 1% of the 1%.
S7: Yeah.
S6: So put a note in your diary. We're coming back.
S3: Yeah.
S1: You know, beginning of next year to see how your Japanese is.
S3: Hey.
S6: Very good. So I think that's that's sort of it for our first episode of The Tortoise. If you haven't.
S1: Yet subscribed, if you found your way here on a podcast app. Uh, make sure you hit subscribe. This is the same feed as the Slow Home podcast. So if you were a previous subscriber and you've noticed us pop up and you're like, What the heck is this? We've renamed the feed so that you won't have lost access to our 350 past episodes. So you can go back and take a listen to those. And if you haven't yet signed up to receive the tortoise letters, they go out every Friday at this point, Australia time.
S6: And you head over to Substack.
S1: And add your name to those. There is also an option to become a paid subscriber and for that you it's $5 a month or $50 a year. You also get access to workshops that will.
S6: Run roughly every.
S1: Quarter. So 3 or 4 a year. I've just wrapped up the first workshop, which went for three weeks and it was all about values, how to identify your values and then how to use them to help you make decisions. So if that's something that you're interested in, you can sign up for $5 for the.
S6: Month, get access to that straight.
S1: Away. But otherwise, for the Friday letters, it.
S6: Is completely free. And I would love you to come over there and join us. We've got a really beautiful community.
S1: That's that's starting to spring up around our conversations.
S6: We have a chat every Friday afternoon. Yeah. So come and join us please. Brookman gallery.substack.com.
S2: What's the collective noun for a group of tortoises? Oh, I don't know. That'd be funny. Call that community.
S6: I think we looked at that at some point, and it wasn't great. I don't know what it was.
S1: We could call it a plod.
S6: A plot of tortoises.
S2: A plot of tortoises. Love it. Just a quick favor, if you like. We're not sure about the discoverability of the show as we've changed from Slow Your Home to the tortoise. What really helps with that is if you leave a rating and or a review on. Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or your favorite podcast platform. That just means that we're more likely to be searched and people find us through those apps if you if we have some current ratings and reviews. So it would be great if you've got the time to leave us a quick rating and review, please.
S6: Until next time. And at this point, we're hitting monthly episodes.
S1: It's part of our commitment to slow and steady this year.
S6: That feels doable.
S1: So we will be back with you the third Thursday of April.
S6: Until then, take good care.