S1: Welcome to the tortoise. A podcast that digs deep. Into the power of slow. I am Brooke McAlary and I am joined by my husband, Ben McAlary.
S2: It's not a podcast. It's a podcast. So what's the tortoise going to be all about?
S1: Well, it's about slow, but it's a much more expansive idea. Or look at what slow is in the world. You know, when we first started the Slow Home podcast, it was really about home and, you know, self development, self awareness and what slow living could do individually and in a closer sense. And it grew over time. And I think we tried to make it expansive, but the idea of it being about the home somehow felt like it kind of put walls around what slow could be in the conversations we were having. And when it became clear that the slow HomePod was coming to its natural end, we didn't want to finish podcasting and we didn't want to finish talking about slow, but we were looking for some different kind of way in. And that's what the tortoise is going to be because you think about what a tortoise is, it's slow, but it's intentional, it's powerful, and that's the lens through which I want to look at heaps of different topics on this podcast.
S2: Yeah, absolutely. So how is it different to the Slow Home podcast R.I.P.?
S1: It's just more expansive. Yeah, the idea of the slow home was really what it needed to be for us for many years. But over time, it it kind of felt restrictive, whereas this feels much more expansive and invitational and looks far beyond the home it looks. We're going to look at topics that will impact. Family, work, community. You know, you can take it as broad as you want, and it just feels like permission to me to make a change, which I think we need sometimes. You know, we did the slow HomePod for eight years and it was wonderful. But slowness represents more than that to me. And I feel like the conversations that we're going to have will ripple further.
S2: And these conversations are going to be recorded where we can outdoors. They'll be unedited, unfiltered, complete with dog barks, wind in the background and cars going past.
S1: You know, and that's the draw to me, actually. You and I recorded a couple of episodes, the final episodes of The Slow HomePod like that. And there was something really joyful and candid about it. And I want to play around with that. You know, I think that it's the antithesis to what a lot of podcasts have become. And, um, and I know I'm drawn to real conversations rather than highly edited, scripted.
S3: Jeff.
S1: I don't know if you can hear it, but the black cockatoos in the background going overhead. Sorry, that's just made me really happy. They mean a lot to me. They do?
S2: Yeah. You're spirit are an animal.
S1: Yeah. Do we say spirit? Animal?
S2: I do. That's my spirit animal. The car, getting.
S1: Past neighbors driving down the driveway.
S2: So, yeah, as you said, they're always going to be candid. They're sometimes going to be funny. I hope so. And they're going to be a monthly podcast.
S1: Yes. So that's the other shift that we've made. I'm all about being really intentional with our outputs and overcommitting is is not slow, you know, So really just committing to having a deep conversation once a month at this point feels right. Yeah. And so much of what we're doing, the changes that we're making are all about how things feel and it feels right. So I'm and it feels exciting and I think it will give us it will feel like a. Like a treat almost, you know, to to to dig in and explore a topic deeply once a month.
S2: We're incredibly excited about what this podcast can do, not only for us, but hopefully for you, the audience. So we encourage you if you haven't already, subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Spotify or your favorite podcast platform and we will be in your ear holes with episode one very shortly. Until then.
S1: Take good care.