Speaker 1: normally normally jim and I jim Wiesemeyer, pro farmer policy analyst and I would start the week off on monday mornings. 8 15 central time with signal to noise. Half hour live conversation between Jim and I and the those that choose to participate in the conversation by chat, uh live live streams on the Farm Journal Youtube channel, facebook pages for Farm Journal, for Agritalk and for Agweb, I believe that's right, Joel fix me if I'm wrong on that. Um, and it's uh, it's a, it's an easy way to get ready for the week jim without with letting you do the work is basically the way I look at it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely Jeff and I missed monday but we all had a good time with our barbecues. I hope
Speaker 1: that's right. That's right. So let's do it now. Let's do it now. Yeah. And uh make sure that everybody is up to speed. Don't forget if you would like to participate in the conversation. The best way to do it right now is to get on the twitter machine and hit me with a message just include hashtag agritalk in the message. That way I will be sure to see it. Um, I want to start with something that's happening today. Jim and it intrigues me and President joe biden is going to be meeting with Fed Chairman jerome Powell to discuss inflation, I guess, uh what's gonna be the focus,
Speaker 2: Well, it's the inflation and the economy. You know, he wrote an op ed in the Wall Street Journal over the weekend kind of justifying uh the positive things that he and his administration has been doing relative to the economy. So this is the month of june and it's all focused on the economy. And also at, at this afternoon's hearing, it will begin at 1 15 eastern time. Chip will be Treasury secretary Janet Yellen. So that brings also in the economy. So we're going to see if they have a press availability after this afternoon. Chip
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. Jim when I was the editor of Pro farmer and I know you do it now with Pro farmer Editor brian Grady, you are quick to remind the editor that sometimes it's okay to point out that, hey, we got this right and here's why it's important to point out that we got this right. Um, the biden administration maybe takes that a step too far Sometimes if you ask me,
Speaker 2: well, especially right now, even though there are some positive things going on, you can't convince many americans of that with the current situation relative to gasoline prices and the food prices. You, you just, that, that's a political no, no chip. So, so they're breaking a third rail there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The, the eyes of an average consumer out there, The pocketbook of the average consumer out there is not lying to them. I mean, what's happening is really happening and there are many times that it feels like the biden administration, they may start off with a comment about we feel your pain. We or whatever it is. Yeah, But it it uh it's sometimes hard to listen to that message. Well,
Speaker 2: whenever you have a 3 to 5 point plan of what you're doing that's usually says that you're in trouble and he's in trouble. And that was a three point plan in the Wall Street Journal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Okay. Um, well, okay. 3 to 5 point plan. How about a 33 point plan that china's cabinet announced over the weekend covering the financial fiscal investment, industrial policies in an effort to try to bring that economy back. It is a wreck over there. Jim.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And see this is going to lead to a likely chip, uh, the world recession because of the the so much importance of the U. S. And china, especially china. Now we're in a china centric world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, certainly are. Certainly are. Okay. Uh, Congress is on recess this week. Right. Isn't that again?
Speaker 2: Are on recess? Yeah. But boy, there's a lot of things going on as you well know the E. P. A. By june 3rd. Let's see if they reach the court mandated date to announce the final 2022 2021 mandated RFs levels and the downwardly adjusted 2020. Now the keys are the bio diesel and the advanced biofuel levels. We don't really know them yet. And whether corn based ethanol has left at 15 billion gallons as they proposed for 2022. And as we've said on Agritalk and signal to noise before E. P. A administrator Michael Regan's reputation. If you will, credibility is on the line here and other issues as small refinery exemptions or any granite at all. And will there be indication of future srs waivers and hopefully will they mention the current high gasoline prices and that robust ethanol usage should help bring the, you know down the prices.
Speaker 1: Right, right. You know, administrator Regan has spoken so highly of biofuels and the role that they can play in achieving and taking a step forward in in reaching the administration's climate change bills goals. Okay. If this friday features disappointment for the biofuel industry, I think this is gonna be the first time that we've seen the administration really throw an administrator under the bus.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely. And I hope that doesn't happen chip because it would say again that certain cabinet people are not making the decisions and if that's the case, who is
Speaker 1: right? If if this isn't a robust RV. Oh, renewable volume obligations for 2022, then somebody else is making the call based on administrator Regan's past comments. Yes. Yeah. Boy, it's we're going to learn a lot on friday, aren't we?
Speaker 2: We will and we'll talk about it friday. And also Wednesday, you know, tom Vilsack USDA Secretary usually goes to Georgetown university in D. C. Uh, to talk about the food industry and he's going there Wednesday to announce how they're going to utilize that $4 billion dollar commitment they made last year by the way to transform the nation's food system. Now, what do they have in mind? They had earlier signaled to to to strengthen the supply chain and address structural challenges revealed by the pandemic and that gets you into the meat processing area and other aspects chip. And we could hear about fertilizer prices as well this week from him.
Speaker 1: Okay, alright. Yeah that's something that's gonna get everybody's attention if they talk about some way to bring these fertilizer prices down. Um jim let's talk about the emergency relief program because I said something in the conversation with Senator ernst that I hope was right. Um when I said this one wasn't just an announcement, it looks like there is actually activity happening post announcement with with the applications, the the the the applications that are filled out in advance making their way out there to farmers that's happening isn't it?
Speaker 2: Absolutely. And now not all that means, not all farmers have received it yet, but they're greasing the skids here because they know how much that program means for cash flow. I mean $6 billion is a chunk of change. It will eventually be close to 10 billion Uh you know, you know really nine billion I think for the crops. Uh and and that is a lifeline for a number of producers which brings up the other point chip. Today's crop progress report will be calculated, you'll have a lot of traders and analysts calculating potential prevent plant in some of the areas what you know, North Dakota, South Dakota, etcetera. And that brings in a policy, a big policy move that's still under discussion that I honestly think will happen. Uh, lawmakers, Klobuchar Minnesota home of in North Dakota Kramer, North Dakota have asked, uh, you know, secretary Vilsack to use his available authority to tap C. C C funding to provide the support to producers facing those prevent plant Risk. So what they want is, you know, as you know, currently producers planning after the final planting date, they face a 1% reduction in their crop insurance coverage level per day, not to mitigate that. And to get a focus for renewed planting. They want, see, see, see, you know, a commodity credit corporation to make up the difference. I eventually think that will happen now. That's me only. But I think the movement is there to do that. Okay,
Speaker 1: well then talk to a producer in central Illinois that has complained about the flexibility and crop insurance programs for the guys in the northern plains. Right. I why, why should that flexibility be in there?
Speaker 2: Well, because you have a number of lawmakers from key states like Minnesota and north Dakota and south Dakota, not only on the appropriations committee, but have access to the secretariat's called clout chip. But I understand what you're coming from, as far as uh, dates that they can plant a second cop. I think that they're reviewing that because Vilsack said they're they're going to try to loosen up to use your term To increase the flexibility for producers because I'll tell you this white house is more than concerned about 20, crop potential.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And there they are concerned about the global food shortage. That is um, that is being predicted and is actually happening and well,
Speaker 2: especially in
Speaker 1: vulnerable areas
Speaker 2: since Putin is using food terrorism, he says he will open up that area if we lift the sanctions or some of the sanctions. That's just not gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Right. I'm kind of in Yeah, I want to talk more about that when we come back. We've got Jim Williams, my pro farmer policy analyst, he's gonna stick around with us through the break and we'll wrap up, I guess I'm going to call it signal to noise. Yeah, we have got a improvised signal to noise going. That is the podcast that Jim Wiesemeyer pro farmer policy analyst Jim Joyce Meyer and I do every monday morning at 8 15, but we didn't do it yesterday morning. So we moved into the show here on Tuesday to get things started. Um, jim we had the the emergency relief program payment announced last week. You said that it's it's out there and happening. We're starting to see the application's flow question from a listener, is there anything happening for hog producers that saw huge expenses in the early days of the shutdown.
Speaker 2: Uh what they what what's out there for hogs is it's you know that's it. We have asked Secretary Vilsack with that if you recall they modified their approach to the uh to the hog producers and the pandemic. And I know the hog producers don't like to hear that but that's what we're being told.
Speaker 1: Yeah
Speaker 2: those are those supplemental, remember the supplemental payments?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah yeah the supplemental payments but it fell well short of what was absolutely tossed around uh and what we thought it was going to be and what I don't understand jim is how that money was pulled back when money was flowing freely from D. C.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know I'm gonna have to get Mp National pork Producers council on the record on that one because uh that was a sensitive issue not only with some of their members, many of their members but other people in town. So I think we need to do a postmortem on that. So you know look for that one
Speaker 1: Crude oil prices have pulled back from the highs of the day. Still more than $2 higher. You got the July contract above the March seven highs which was the uh the invasion reaction. What else is going to happen on on fuel prices this week? Jim
Speaker 2: well Opec Plus is having a meeting via the internet on thursday chip and they're they're really being more than encouraged to boost production because let's face it now with the prices rising that we've seen at the gas pump odds are well over 50%. You're going to, uh, Go to that $6 level for, you know, gasoline in the US, not just California.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I'm starting to driving vacation on thursday night this week. Jim That doesn't encourage me at all.
Speaker 2: I know, but that's what a growing number of analysts are saying. And so, and that's why you have to watch that world price chip. Because 60% of the gasoline prices in the US is really based off that Brent crude oil. That's why we cover it. Pro farmer Brent crude,
Speaker 1: right? Gotcha. Here's a sensitive one for you. But there is so much conversation about it right now. I've got to bring it up to you. What are the odds that there is going to be a successful push on some kind of gun legislation going forward?
Speaker 2: It'll be successful. How about that one? But it won't be as expansive as at least the eight point plan that the house looks like they'll pass. But the key is the Senate and schumer as majority leader democrat from new york is saying is having talks with a select number of republicans. They'll they'll need 60 votes. But I think the time is here. Chip for some, some version of legislation to deal with the horrible incidents that we saw in texas and buffalo earlier,
Speaker 1: Could could what happened in Canada over the weekend be a uh a preview of what might be proposed here.
Speaker 2: A barometer. You know, interesting. Canada has a habit of really advancing those those issues ahead of the U. S. I've tracked them on a couple of other areas, you know, but that's indeed what they proposed a new law that would freeze purchases and sales of hand guns. I don't think that will go that far. But yeah, they would also limit magazine, you know, capacities and banned toys that look like guns. But Congress, the the Senate republicans have got the um, you know, more than a signal. They have to do something.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And I think it'll be mainly in the mental health area, Jeff. That's, that's one of the key ingredients
Speaker 1: there. Good. Let's uh, let's address the problem head on. If it's, if we're going to address the problem, uh, that exists out there. Let's address it head on. And it's, it starts with mental health. Uh, that's where it's got to begin. Mansion is going to talk with schumer on the economy and an energy bill.
Speaker 2: Yes. And he has been talking, they've had several meetings and so pro farmer is different than most other consultants in forecasting that we believe the odds at least right now are over 50% that you're going to have an economic and energy bill. Uh, no, it won't be the build back better. It will be much scaled down and but it will be a combination of, uh, some taxes, but not near the draconian that they were proposing before it'll pay down some of the debt. But it will also include many features of that green energy deal and so watch that because that's very important for carbon mitigation programs and the sustainable aviation fuel chips. So, but I'll bow out of this and say it won't happen unless they can get this passed before the long august congressional recess. So there's your timeline, the clock is ticking on this one.
Speaker 1: Okay. I asked Senator ernst if we can trust Vladimir Putin's promised to provide a pathway for Ukrainian grain out of the country. She said that she wouldn't trust him as far as she can throw him. Um, is it going to happen?
Speaker 2: Well, not with Putin, you don't, you know, not with his uh, uh, mandate that the, you know, you know, sanctions are lifted yet at least some of them. But, you know, the Wall Street Journal had an editorial where they said biden's ambivalence in aiding Ukraine encourages Putin to believe he can still achieve a strategic victory. So they're wanting to see more economic and other pressures on the release Of that at least 20 million tons of grain and storage. So the pressure is really mounting out. I think we'll know within the next two weeks,
Speaker 1: there is no way that we are going to start lifting sanctions on Russia at this time to move grain, is there?
Speaker 2: I never say never anymore in Washington, but very low odds. Single digit odds. But I've been surprised before with the you know, both political groups in this town. You would hope that that's not the case.
Speaker 1: Got you. Jim. That was a good way to get a signal to noise out there. Thank you so much, buddy. Alright, Pro Farmer policy analyst Jim Wiesemeyer delivering a signal to noise on today's Agritalk.